PDA

View Full Version : Kick Pedal

jelic173
10-26-2005, 11:17 PM
I was hoping you guys out there could help me on this one. My problem is my kick, I have trouble doing doubles and 4 or 5 singles in straight succession. I've been playing for years but I broke my leg a couple of years ago and its never been the same. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how I can improve my kick.

Canadian_Drummer
10-31-2005, 02:07 PM
take Karatie

Killroy
10-31-2005, 02:10 PM
all i can think of is more practice and going through the motions so you can build up the ankle strength you lost after you broke your leg.

ToMsK
10-31-2005, 02:18 PM
yeah just slow it right down and go through it, i guess

moogooguypan
10-31-2005, 02:36 PM
It's just a question of compensating for a weakness with increased practice and patience. Do whatever it is you want to get better at--in your case you probably just want to do continuous sixteenth notes on the bass drum over eighth or quarter notes on the ride or hi-hat and a snare on 2 and 4 (you'll probably want to put a rest on the bass drum in whenever you hit the snare, it's easier to play 7 continuous notes and one rest than just constant 16th notes, and you're unlikely to use more than seven fast strokes on a foot at a time...unless you're trying to sound like you're using a double bass pedal but retain hi-hat foot independence...hmmmm......)--at the speed you can do it comfortably (it is always vital to use a metronome but in this situation I would imagine it's especially important) for at least five minutes without a break every single day--time yourself, don't just estimate. If your muscle isn't on fire by the time you get to five minutes you should be playing it faster or longer. Doing this everday will be good for your leg even if you don't ever raise the tempo, but obviously you will want to raise the tempo a bit every so often as you gain strength; just don't play too fast--if you start losing steadiness, "fluttering" against the drum with your foot, missing beats or putting them too early or late, etc., slow down the metronome. BE PATIENT, the best way to get nowhere is to insist on instant results and either get discouraged or try to do things outside of your current ability too quickly. Also it's a good idea to take up running, biking, or walking regularly, a lot of serious drummers do so to keep up their foot endurance and speed (the muscle groups used in both activities are the same).

puppet.master
10-31-2005, 11:10 PM
mmmmm advanced

breakster
11-01-2005, 01:53 AM
...the advancest

Bone
11-01-2005, 03:09 AM
Do you have an instructor?

Damo
11-01-2005, 04:27 AM
Its most definitely not the pedal, particularly if you could do it on that pedal before you broke your leg. The only suggestion I can make is to work the ankles as much as possible and try not to adjust the pedal every time it doesnt feel right - Let your leg get used to the setting and develop from that.

Wizz
11-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Practice is a lot . Maybe its a good idea to often strech your legs and really warm up your muscles.

Doodle
11-01-2005, 08:36 PM
As some of the above posters may of mentioned, this may not be an advanced question, but i speak for the rest of us...please don't make useless posts saying stuff like "not advaned", etc. No matter how good the player or how good u think u are, you can always benefit by any kind of question...think about that.

aznriceball
11-01-2005, 11:47 PM
take Karatie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

cliffbot II
11-04-2005, 06:17 AM
As some of the above posters may of mentioned, this may not be an advanced question, but i speak for the rest of us...please don't make useless posts saying stuff like "not advaned", etc. No matter how good the player or how good u think u are, you can always benefit by any kind of question...think about that.

Yeh i agree its pointless

Yeh rudiments and cycling helps hugely to build up your muscles again.
Its all just practise just dont strain it once your tired rest for a while dont make it worse :smash:keep it up:smash:

breakster
11-04-2005, 07:38 AM

I dont want to start an arguement, but surely more beginners would benefit from reading this thread than advanced players. placing your question in the right section also guarentees more exposure and responses. the "advanced" section doesnt exactly get the most views.

Erik_drummer
11-04-2005, 10:17 AM
if just straight practicing doesnt work, make the springs on ur pettal tighter so it doesnt bounce as high.

Bone
11-04-2005, 10:28 AM
if just straight practicing doesnt work, make the springs on ur pettal tighter so it doesnt bounce as high.

Practice does work.

Trying to adjust your pedal to make you play better in lue of practice doesn't.