PDA

View Full Version : To ThugsRook (please respond)

jalel
10-26-2005, 06:51 PM
I really like what you did to your kit and I have a few questions about the procedure you took to switch from Starcasts to a more traditional mounting system. I am thinking about ditching the Starcasts on my Rockstar Custom.

1) Firstly, how did you drill the holes into the shell without damaging it? Did you start out with a small drill bit and work your way to a bigger one or did you just use a big bit from the get-go?

2) Did you order new mounts to attach to the shell or did you just use the ones off of the Starcasts?

I would have just instant messaged you but I don't know your screen name or even what messenger you use. I would really appreciate it if you could hepl me out so I don't damage my kit. Thanks in advance:thumb:

CombatWombat3
10-26-2005, 07:30 PM
I don't think the star-cast system ins attached to the shell at all, at least not according to this diagram:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/NHNwombat/star_cast.gif

ThugsRook
10-26-2005, 07:46 PM
hello :)

here's a pic of my classic TAMA tom mounts so we all know what im talking about...
http://users.adelphia.net/~d2rook/drums/e007.jpg

.....the first thing i did was remove the heads and rims, and removed the tom mount from the Starcast system.

i then decided where i wanted to put the mount (i didnt want the TAMA badges showing out). i removed the lugs on either side of the side i wanted to put the mount. i placed masking tape on part of the drum i wanted to draw on (straight across between the upper lugs) and then a 2nd piece going down so it formed a "T".

using a bendable straight edge ruler i drew a straight line onto the tape (between the formentioned lug bolt holes) and measured out a center. i then measured the tom mount bolt spread, and made a second line on the drum. i measured out the correct distance for the tom mount and made 2 dots on the tape to drill thru.

i drilled thru the tom slowly using a small bit with light pressure applied. i then went to a slightly bigger bit and repeated til the tom mount fit it perfectly.

its sounds like alot ~ but it was actually very quick and very easy. LMK if you need more explaination, ill try and post a blueprint pic for you.

:wave:

ThugsRook
10-26-2005, 07:56 PM
heres a very basic blueprint of the lines i drew on the drum so everything would line up all nice...
(the green dots are the lug bolt holes when the lugs are removed from the shell)

http://users.adelphia.net/~d2rook/drums/mounts.jpg

jcreamer89
10-26-2005, 08:28 PM
by the way thugsrook your kit is one of my favorite kits ever, and it would be an honor to see a video of you playing it

Double Bass Jim
10-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Yea looks SO much better without the nasty starcast.

The tri-flange hoops too! You've turned that into a much better kit man.

ThugsRook
10-26-2005, 11:42 PM

if you look very closely under all the lugs, you will notice there is something else youre not seeing.

thx very much for the comps guys :chug:

Tim
10-27-2005, 12:05 AM

123. starcast mounting is so ugly....IMO.

jalel
10-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Omg thank you so much Thugs!:thumb: I'm definately gonna mod my Rockstars this week. You don't know how much you've helped me. I was just expecting an explanation but you busted out some super cool diagrams. I can't wait to get started!

Oh, by the way, did you have to buy new mounts or did you take the mounts from the starcasts and use those? I'm hoping I can just use the ones from my starcasts because I am using my spare cash to get some wuhans:)

Argghhh, I just thought of another question after I posted this. May be a stupid one but here goes.....When you drilled the holes did you drill from the outside of the shell? It seems to me that this would be the way to do it but I want to be totally sure so I don't screw up. Thanks a bunch!

ThugsRook
10-27-2005, 08:54 AM
the mounts and bolts that are on the Starcast will work fine directly mounted to the toms.

i drilled from the outside thru to the inside with very lite pressure. just take your time :)

alexi2
10-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Very nice stuff :thumb:

jalel
10-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Thanks Thugs you've helped me out a lot!

theflame85
10-28-2005, 06:24 AM
hey Thugs, whats the sound differnce between Tripple Flanged hoops and Diecast Hoops?

ThugsRook
10-28-2005, 07:55 AM
hey Thugs, whats the sound differnce between Tripple Flanged hoops and Diecast Hoops?
i cant really give you scientific answer~
all i know is that triflange hoops sound fatter, resonate slightly more, are lighter, and are easier to tune.

:wave:

PS: it appears my FTP server is down and the pics arent showing up, sorry about that :(

aznriceball
10-28-2005, 10:41 AM
a sad day in mounting

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/aznriceball/10-27-2005tom1.jpg

ThugsRook
10-28-2005, 10:49 AM
oh boy that is sad.

that poor drum :(

aznriceball
10-28-2005, 06:00 PM
i cant believe he did that to it. the current mount is square. i wanna say that he took the drum and converted it to a tube mount, except that i dont think CB700 internationals had the stick mount..

IronCobra2x
10-28-2005, 08:28 PM
a sad day in mounting

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/aznriceball/10-27-2005tom1.jpg
:amaze:

Japan3gro
10-28-2005, 08:38 PM
aznriceball I thought that was a fish with its mouth open....seriously take a look lol.

White
10-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Accorrding to Mapex (I was reading about one of there sets last night) the more holes a drum has, the less tone it has, so how is the tone in the drum now, is it any less? if so is it very noticable?, thanks

MXboy
10-29-2005, 01:39 AM
That drum needs some help