PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my recording! It's totally awesome!

RichHunt
10-26-2005, 04:12 AM
Ok. I borrowed a microphone from church and decided to record one of the songs I'm working on for my new band (in which I'll play guitar and vocals).

So, in this recording I recorded the drums, guitars, and vocals. Yes, it's really scrappy and rough around the edges, but you get the idea and I think it's a decent listen.

It's better quality then my other songs but the mix is still pretty messy, I did as much as I could with the software (as much as I could, I'm sure someone else could do better with EQ and ****.).

So enjoy this, Tears Fall. I did everything, and I did it all in about 4 hours, with breaks.

*REMOVED WEBSITE LINK*

btw, the guitar solo is like.. totally improv, so don't knock it! haha.

-edit1-
It's not up yet, but when it is, you'll be able to grab it from http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=19430 It's called Tears Fall. -edit- *it's up here now!*
If you could please use this link rather than the above one, as the above one is my website and I need my bandwidth. Thanks. :)

-edit2-
Ok, it's uploaded here too now. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=229883

It's called Tears Fall again, if you can, please download it from here. If it doesn't work, you may download it from my website. Please only download it once.

blujelly
10-26-2005, 04:55 AM
wow thats well good, keep up the good work :D

RichHunt
10-26-2005, 04:59 AM
Thanks man.

RichHunt
10-26-2005, 05:43 AM
Omg bump!

bpd906
10-26-2005, 07:38 AM
The music is solid. The singing....not so much. Not being an asshole, just being honest.

Shu
10-26-2005, 07:46 AM
yea.. i agree with the above ^^

the guitar and drum parts were awesome..
erm.. the singing not soo great.. but it was still better than most ppl.. esp me, soo awesome stuff..

Matter
10-26-2005, 07:52 AM
Not bad...the vocals were to loud and off-key at times. The drum track was good the only thing I didn't like was the over use of the china IMO, You used it in a lot of placing like very begining were I felt it needed a bigger sound/longer decay.

But like you said its rough around the edges but you have a solid song there if you tighten everything up.

TerranCmdr
10-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Sounds pretty decent actually. Nice drumming too. I for one like the china use. One thing is that the guitar could be a little louder. Nice job though.

RichHunt
10-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah it's a raw recording so the levels aren't all perfect. I'm getting my friends bass today and recording that as well.

Thanks.

RichHunt
10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
The drum track was good the only thing I didn't like was the over use of the china IMO, You used it in a lot of placing like very begining were I felt it needed a bigger sound/longer decay.

Yeah, to be totally honest, the drum track was a tad of an afterthought with this. I only had one crash set up so I found myself hitting my china a fair bit. I'm recording this (and a couple other songs) so I can show some guys that I want in my band and they can get an idea of the music before we actually have a rehearsal so that when we get together we can play something straight away almost, rather than having to spend a laborious amount of time going through each part of the song.

Sorry for the double post.

poppinfresh
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
i keep thinking that the picture on your soundclick is a boob.

Im wating for it to load.

Corkofski
10-26-2005, 04:19 PM
nice... i have a practise pad in front of me and i started tapping along...

rockindrummer
10-26-2005, 06:08 PM
That sounds pretty good man. The drums and guitar were great, but the singing was a little louder, but that's fine.

Sabian4015
10-26-2005, 06:16 PM
That was pretty good. I mean your singing wasn't all that great but I don't have the guts to sing so yea. Don't use the china so much and turn the drums down and the guitar up.

thenewguy515
10-26-2005, 06:33 PM
pretty good, i would say the exact same thing sabian4015 said, and i would like to hear more crash and less china. BUMP!!!!!

RichHunt
10-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys, yeah the mix is pretty raw, I'm recording more bass and stuff later today and I might double the guitar track and fix the levels a little more here and there.

RichHunt
10-27-2005, 03:34 AM
Ok, I added bass and cleaned it up a little. It's still not perfect but, meh.

RichHunt
10-27-2005, 05:01 AM
i keep thinking that the picture on your soundclick is a boob.

Im wating for it to load.

How'd you get a boob out of my soundclick photo? Do you mean my musicianforums avatar? Because that would make more sense.

ConnectiveTissue
10-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Well, not totally awesome. Nice work on the solo, drumming wasn't all that flash, but again, nothing wrong with it. Vocals would be more effective sung up an octave, but then, few of us have that range!

Solid. Needs work.

RichHunt
10-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Well, not totally awesome. Nice work on the solo, drumming wasn't all that flash, but again, nothing wrong with it. Vocals would be more effective sung up an octave, but then, few of us have that range!

Solid. Needs work.

Yeah the subject heading was a bit of sarcasm on my part. Lol, I reckon the solo's crap. I wasn't really trying to show off on the drums or anything, just play them.

DruMMeR_BoY14
10-27-2005, 06:36 AM
I think with some voice training You'll have a really good voice, right now it reminds me of Geoff Rickley's voice from Thursday live.

Overall its a good song, just needs a bit of work. I'd scrap the vocals during the beginning of the solo, where you repeat tears fall down is fine but before that doesn't need to be there IMO.

Guitar was good, I'm not a guitarist so for all I know the solo was a work of art.

Drums were a bit shabby, but your not going to be the drummer in the band so it doesn't matter that much.

_bombsh3ll_
10-27-2005, 03:18 PM
it seemed when the guitar went distorted.... it sounded as if it was peaking...

vocals where good....

your ride dominated the mix a bit too much for my liking... and the solo went for a tad to long...

but very nice :)

infeef
10-27-2005, 05:22 PM
fix the levels and it will sound a ton better.

White
10-27-2005, 05:27 PM
WOw, if you had more recordingd, you be on my favorite bands list lol, that was just a wicked song Good job and keep it up, please

RichHunt
10-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys. I'm getting really mixed reactions from you guys though! Some say the vocals are good, some say they aren't, same like the solo, some don't, some like the drums, some don't. lol!

Can't you all just agree!? haha.

poppinfresh
10-27-2005, 06:49 PM
How'd you get a boob out of my soundclick photo? Do you mean my musicianforums avatar? Because that would make more sense.
no the sound click one. If you look stragiht on it doesnt look like it but when you look to the middle of the screen your hand looks like a boob

jcreamer89
10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Richhunt, ways to make that song better.
1. Use brushes, it will achieve a much better sound.
2. Make sure everything is perfectly in sync.
3. Play and sing with more confidence.
After you do that, this song will kick ***.

RichHunt
10-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Umm.. use brushes?

Yeah, the singing with confidence thing I get.. I'm way better than I used to be and some of the quiet bits aren't my singing but the fact that I was getting into it a bit too much and moving away from the mic :P.

But yeah, I'm not using as that as an excuse.

And the whole perfectly in sync thing.. if I had heaps of time to record yeah, but I only had the bass for one night and the mic for two and I've got school exams coming up that I've got to study for and stuff so I kinda rushed it. If I had more time I'd probably try to make it tighter. I'm going to ask for a mic and stand and stuff for christmas so in the holidays I'll try and make some tighter recordings.

Thanks. :)

yourstruly
10-28-2005, 02:01 AM
that songs pretty rad, i'd buy your album.

RichHunt
10-28-2005, 02:10 AM
Awesome!

Just let me make one!

Senseless Apprentice
10-28-2005, 02:24 AM
Oh man....The part in the song towards the end where you go back into the chorus, the drums/guitars take a rest, and the vocals sing through it, then they all crash back in...That part was awesome. Awesome little technical addative to the song. reminds me of the way Dashboard Confessional put pauses on the song Hands Down.

After hearing the guitar solo, I could maybe say that you could add more 'feel' to it. Add some accents, some dynamics, make it groove. If I was to listen to you play that solo without the rest of the instruments....I would probably not move my body, I would probably not 'groove' to it. BUT, maybe if you added some dynamics, some slight accents, then I would start groovin, I would FEEL it.... Just like with drums. With drums, we accent notes....we ought do the same on guitar. Make it all groove...not just the drums.

More positive feedback: I liked the ending. The song really built up well. Good job.

playwithfire
10-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Well after having been told to listen to it by you on MSN... I wasn't disappointed. It was more than I expected that's for sure! Aside from the recording quality (which, I mean really, we can't expect an amazing recording lol), I only have a few suggestions for going over the song and refining it.

1. Don't use your china near as much... by the end... I don't know, it just seems excessive. A lot of parts seem like they would be better suited to a nice, big thin crash.
2. The vocals. Vocals are always a touchy subject, and I'm not saying yours are bad, I'm just saying if anything on the track needs a bit of work, it's the vocals. It could just be the way it's mixed though.
3. The solo. For improv, it sounds cool, but if you refine it a tad for a better recording, then it would really kick the song up a notch.

Well those are my only suggestions, I thought it was really good. Impressive that you played everything.

RichHunt
10-28-2005, 07:24 AM
Oh man....The part in the song towards the end where you go back into the chorus, the drums/guitars take a rest, and the vocals sing through it, then they all crash back in...That part was awesome. Awesome little technical addative to the song. reminds me of the way Dashboard Confessional put pauses on the song Hands Down.

After hearing the guitar solo, I could maybe say that you could add more 'feel' to it. Add some accents, some dynamics, make it groove. If I was to listen to you play that solo without the rest of the instruments....I would probably not move my body, I would probably not 'groove' to it. BUT, maybe if you added some dynamics, some slight accents, then I would start groovin, I would FEEL it.... Just like with drums. With drums, we accent notes....we ought do the same on guitar. Make it all groove...not just the drums.

More positive feedback: I liked the ending. The song really built up well. Good job.

It's funny you mentioned Hands Down, I did a cover of that ages ago, maybe a bit of it rubbed off on me. I'm not a huge Dashboard Confessional fan though.

Also yeah, the guitar solo, I'm really not much of a soloist so yeah :P, I was just messing around with it. Thanks for the comments man, glad you mostly liked it! :D

Well after having been told to listen to it by you on MSN... I wasn't disappointed. It was more than I expected that's for sure! Aside from the recording quality (which, I mean really, we can't expect an amazing recording lol), I only have a few suggestions for going over the song and refining it.

1. Don't use your china near as much... by the end... I don't know, it just seems excessive. A lot of parts seem like they would be better suited to a nice, big thin crash.
2. The vocals. Vocals are always a touchy subject, and I'm not saying yours are bad, I'm just saying if anything on the track needs a bit of work, it's the vocals. It could just be the way it's mixed though.
3. The solo. For improv, it sounds cool, but if you refine it a tad for a better recording, then it would really kick the song up a notch.

Well those are my only suggestions, I thought it was really good. Impressive that you played everything.

Yeah, I dunno if I mentioned this here already but I only had one crash set up so I tend to overuse the china. Oh well, at least it's a nice china :D. Yeah the vocals are a bit sketchy here and there, as I am not the best vocalist but I have improved over the passed year or so, so I suspect that the only way is up from here still. :)

And yeah, the solo.. meh.. hehe.

geeksrule
11-20-2005, 12:50 AM
hey how'd u hav the mic/mics set up for the drums...cause i've been trying to do the same type of thing but i cant figure how to get decent sound out of the drums w/o spendin a good amont of money.

thnx

RichHunt
11-20-2005, 03:11 AM
hey how'd u hav the mic/mics set up for the drums...cause i've been trying to do the same type of thing but i cant figure how to get decent sound out of the drums w/o spendin a good amont of money.

thnx

Get a decent mic (I used a Shure SM58, but apparently a SM57 would be better for this purpose) and set it up above and behind you I reckon, I had mine to the left my hats because that was the closest I could reach to above and behind me.

Experiment and see what's the best sound you can get.

RockStar
11-20-2005, 03:56 AM
double bass?

drum solo?

:thumb:

RichHunt
11-20-2005, 04:17 AM
Where?!

FockerTheLopper
11-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Its pretty good, but not really my style. Its alright but I've heard better. Love your ride cymbal and your china usage though.
I got to the 2:40 and I like that part alot more, where everything is going, nice solo too, and your playing the drums like a beast really energic, awsome job.

RichHunt
11-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Its pretty good, but not really my style. Its alright but I've heard better. Love your ride cymbal and your china usage though.
I got to the 2:40 and I like that part alot more, where everything is going, nice solo too, and your playing the drums like a beast really energic, awsome job.

Thanks man. Hah, I don't play the drums nearly as energetic as some of those crazy punk drummers.

fredd
11-21-2005, 08:31 AM
I think you played and sang everything goodm but the solo needs to be re-recorded. I can do better than that and I don't play guitar. (no offense)

RichHunt
11-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Yeah the solo is improv and crap, but I doubt you could do better if you don't play guitar.

mdrumman
11-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Smooth guitar sound, solid drumming, over use of a good china, and ok sound mix...hey for a guy tracking all of his own stuff pretty sweet. I sense santana influence in the guitar work...........

RichHunt
11-21-2005, 07:27 PM
I doubt it because Santana is good at lead work where as I am not.. haha.

mdrumman
11-21-2005, 07:58 PM
hey i was talking about the sound...good guitar sound...i like the slow lead it was effective. Specs on equipment used???

RichHunt
11-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Drumkit - http://musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403718

But I had the 12" set up as well.

I borrowed my friends Warwick rockbass and his peavey umm 50 watt or something amp.

I used my little 15 or so watt guitar amp and my Legend Les paul copy, friends custom pedal (it doesn't sound too good on the recording but I haven't really messed with it much. He's making me my own which has two distortions/overdrives in it.).

And I think I already mentioned this but used a Shure SM58 that I borrowed from my church to record everything, and this weekend I'm going out with mum to pick out a mic (Shure sm57), a stand and a pop filter (yayayay!). If I'm lucky maybe I can convince her to get me a small mixer, haha.