PDA

View Full Version : Cymbals? Quieter?

mamcdonald
10-25-2005, 07:41 PM
I haven't posted on here in about a year I'd say but I have a question and don't know who else to ask. I'm playing some songs tomorrow with a guitar and bass player for a small "festival" thing at my school and I was hoping I could use my Zildjian 'Sweet' Ride. We are playing three light jazz songs and then two somewhat heavier things (just some upbeat rock stuff people can tap their feet to). However, I'm concerned that the cymbal is too loud for the type of stuff we're playing. For any of you that have used the sweet ride, you know that the crash just EXPLODES!

My question is if there is anyway to reduce the volume of a cymbal without losing much or any ring, preferably without purchasing anything from a music store, just using house hold objects. I assume it won't be so loud in the open environment I'll be using it in (a gym) and it may not even be necessary, but...just in case. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

beaker_747
10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
If you must, tape it... but that's not reccomended. You could just play really lightly for the jazz-o-rama songs.

mamcdonald
10-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Any suggestions how to tape? What parts of the cymbal, what kind of tape, how much?

wolvesnrp
10-25-2005, 08:01 PM
you could also explore the options of lighter sticks, i know getting thin sticks can help decrease your volume, and I'm sure theres plenty of different types for you to try out at your local music store.

Double Bass Jim
10-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Dynamics are your friend, just play softer :)

playwithfire
10-25-2005, 09:06 PM
You're worried a Sweet ride is too loud? We are talking about a 21" A Zildjian Sweet ride, right? The solution: don't crash on it... ride it. It's nowhere close to being an excessively loud ride really, it's a versatile ride and would fit in fine in jazz music. As said, play quieter.

I also find that a lot of people think a cymbal is excessively loud when it's just a typical cymbal, but don't take into account that their wiener guitarists have tiny amps.

dj_ando
10-25-2005, 09:06 PM
yep, do your best to play it softly. perhaps just give it a little shoulder crash instead of a full edge crash?

billdrum
10-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Try using smaller sticks for the jazz stuff, or maybe even brushes or rods if you can't control your dynamics yourself.

poppinfresh
10-25-2005, 09:18 PM
either use different sticks or use dynamics, i was going to say dynamics or a different ride, maybe have another one set up to next to the sweet ride, maybe borrow one from a friend, but my ride sounds different when playe on the edge, maybe yours does the same experiment before and see what sounds you can get by playing softer, with differnt sticks and those kinds of thigns.

playwithfire
10-25-2005, 09:21 PM
^The Sweet ride is not the problem. It makes a fine ride for jazzy music, if you don't want really dark cymbals.

poppinfresh
10-25-2005, 09:22 PM
oh ok.

LoneStarDrummer
10-25-2005, 09:24 PM
just play softer with a smaller headed stick, something like a 5A and learn to take advantage of dynamics in your playing.

EDIT: i see your a local Texan yourself. i live about 40 miles north of houston.

go 'stros, though they'll probably loose.

Win A Rabbit
10-25-2005, 09:26 PM
MAMCDONALD!!! welcome back. staying? hopefully.

anyways, i'd use rods or brushes, because rods and brushes are totally kick-bottom. but, money-wise, playing softly costs nothing. not a penny.

styler
10-25-2005, 11:34 PM
dynamics 90%
but for the 10% after that, id ride on one of my crashes, alternate between the ride, i think its versatile and nifty, not to be used as main rides in most cases, but pull off some patterns

Doez86
10-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Get some Vic Firth hotrods, no matter how hard you hit you will still get a nice sweet, balanced sound.

spike9908
10-26-2005, 01:08 PM
one word, dynamics. another thing, you said the CRASH explodes. simple solution, dont crash on it. im guessing you have another crash. if not, then just tap it lightly (notice im going back to dynamics).

Plan B.
10-26-2005, 01:17 PM
You know your cymbal, you should know how to control it, where to play it, just know everything.

If you do you'll be perfectly fine as a peice of twine.

Double Bass Jim
10-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Haha nice rhyme, it's true though. Just like knowing your drums inside and out.

Massik Kretal
10-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Die-Nah-Micks

\m/-CHeV-\m/
10-27-2005, 02:41 AM
']just play softer with a smaller headed stick, something like a 5A and learn to take advantage of dynamics in your playing.

EDIT: i see your a local Texan yourself. i live about 40 miles north of houston.

go 'stros, though they'll probably loose.

5A's are still too heavy i think. i would recommend zildjian 6a or 7a sticks :). that are perfect sticks for jazz IMO. not too thin, but really light, and a smaller tip than 5a's have :).

dj_ando
10-27-2005, 02:49 AM
for jazz, i rarely use anything larger than a 7A. anything more is too much for what i'm trying to do ;) especially on a really responsive little bebop kit.

dedard9fx
10-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Get some moonlight gels... It's not only on your heads you can put gels... I put them on cymbals either and it works very great!:thumb:

chickensandwiches
10-27-2005, 02:37 PM
thats for no skills

work on dynamics

if you cant control your own hand when you drum, thats a little sad
just control your hits