PDA

View Full Version : Poetry speaks #6 Arsis

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 07:24 PM
another one Daven picked ;) I'm actually going to see If I can't check out that sweet spell check thing. Here goes, We will start off with a album entilted...

A celebration of guilt I have researched for A while and have only been albe to find this album, but I'll keep searching. The first song we will look at is called...The face of my innocence. Here is a short passage from the song.

As the reasons came and went, and swept across
The face of my innocence, I was lost.

To know your face, and your true shade
To feel your lips, and to be bade
To praise the night, to praise my unknown faith
Must I sure find a way? To infest the wound

Inside the wound, that draws me near
And cries my name, and feeds my presence
I am here!

Just by looking at these words I can sence a lot of presence in the poem, the lyrics mostly are talking a bout saying your good byes and bidding farwell, If you don't know this but the word "Bade" is basicley saying good bye or the oppisite of greeting. Many band like these or of this genre, always have softish or depressing lyrics, but you wouldn't really guess that by the type of sound they put out, many of it is very agression and have a large sence of animosity but also with hold great and amazing lyrics. Ok the next song we will be looking to is called...

Feel the fervor growing but the hate is stronger
My heart was whole with you
But the pain was mine, come twisted flowers
Come blistered soul, torturing disdain
And the wholeness that is only found in you
Feel the fervor growing but the hate is stronger
My heart was whole with you
But the pain was mine

This song IMO sends a very crucial message, by looking at the lyrics you can tell a slight something about the poem/song. This song points out that emotions can be stronger then "love" or hate is stronger then love, the piane was to much to overcome the gift of love, some of these may be metaphors so I might be a tad off.

Now well will look at another album off "A celebration of guilt" (Man I like these lyrics) the song is called...
seven wispers fell silent heres a short passage...

Seven whispers silent
On scathing winds the seven whistlers tune
Seven cries, blinded eyes
Bade the choke on the night
Beneath the stare of a cold and blood-dimmed moon

Alaster, avenging one
Guide my path
Live in me, exist to be
The festering wounds upon the savior's wrists
Calculating the murderous plot for the dozen to fall

The seven shall sleep forever
Unhallowed graves left unmarked
Five soon to join them
And with their blood anoint them
Evident the feebleness of dog

This song has a more "denomic tone to it" what tipped me off what the whole flow of the poem and the words used, the word "feebleness" it means your weak or left without power, I haven't heard to much of these guys but from what I heard they are a little death and black metal "ish" that explains why they have more mystical, depressing sounds to them. It wouldn't surprise me if they were affilatied (sp?) with paganism or wicca.

Here's another song off the same album this song is called...

wholly night Hmm...I like these lyrics heres a short passage.

As the moon creeps forth to pierce the clouds
And it's lights embraced by a single howl
This graveyard dream was brought to life
With the breath of jealous winds
Shackled, bound, torched by the light
A thousand angels torn from flight
Longing for heaven's dark cursed
With I to guide the Cain-drawn hearse

This hate within its eyes, for a faith that often lies
From tears of mourning cries be torn
The beast is born wholly of night

Anticipation of the madness to come
Lowly angel flesh undone
Longing for heaven's dark curse
With I to guide the Cain-drawn hearse

Oo Austin likes, :naughty: In this song it seems a little depressing, obviousley this is taken in a funeral home or a cementarie at dawn or night, this side of them shows a more black metal portray of them, this may be towards a religion/cult type lyrics, this even may be a ritual or based on the presence of one, for faith that often lies, hate within your eyes, and tears of mourning crys aall tiped me off that this is more dark, then actuall gorey lyrics.

Here is the last song we will do, this song is called...

Carnal Ways To Recreate The Heart

I am the one, the fallen bastard son
I'll step inside you, I feel your lips
And seize your flesh, to penetrate the wound

And your screams shall be dreams
Of the graceless one's rebirth

Forever I have lost the way
To the flesh that was mine today
I left my trace I left my mark
Carnal ways to recreate the heart
Feel the pain and we know
And the pain we are cursed with child

The lyrics seem a bit more tough, because not only do tehy not give a real good defenition but they don't have to many clear metaphors...So lets see if I can break this down. Not knowing to much of these guys I can tell this poem is on the line of discust, and pain. The line at the top says the fallen bastard son, I'm guessing this line is on the thoughts of impurity, and deceit. this is kind of a educated guess but, reading their other lyrics I can see that they are semi-affiliated with a religion stand point, being a certain religion myself I can see the use of the word "Carnal" I'm just guessing but this word is used many times in the satanic bible, satan is a symbal of "Carnal knowledge" and many other things that make up a metaphorical "satan"

Now for the writeup!

Arsis has leaded black and death "ish" metal in a weird direction. The band was formed in 2000 and had nothing but succese since. They made their first demo in 2001, this demo added arsis to the heavy metal scene, along with very popular extreme metal bands.

The band never really gained world wide popularity, they were very popular in the underground metal scene, and were cought playing in small gigs,b ut nothing to over the top

Then the added on a addition of bass player Justin Shaw in 2004 this add on completed this extreme metal line-up. This great band played with many semi known bands over their time, they were seen on stage with bands such as Chris barnes bands Six feet under (they suck though IMO) CIRCLE OF DEAD CHILDREN, and the red chord.

The band also played in 2004 in a death head festival called the maryland death fest, they were along side of the other great death metal band exhumed, (I like those guys)

Though there were many bands to help pioneer the genre of underground extreme metal, Arsis, led the way to underground perfection.

lineup

James Malone Guitar and Vocals
Michael VanDyne Drums
Justin Shaw Bass

Discography

2004 "A Celebration Of Guilt

Thank you for reading.

xizoesira
10-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Malone writes good lyrics, if a little pretentious at times.

I especially like 'The Sadistic Motives Behind Bereavement Letters', lyrically.

Daven
10-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Another picked by me, wow. I wasnt the only one who recommended it, but anyways. Another great write up man. This is the first time i read Arsis' lyrics, and they aare like poetry. They use a lot of rhyming. I can see like the depressive side of them but also i feel like the singer is talking to somebody he used to like or something like that; i dont know, im bad analyzing poetry.

GenuineImitation
10-25-2005, 07:33 PM
I have been getting into this band lately. The lyrics just make me appreciate the music even more. Keep up the good work.

StreetlightRock
10-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Nice, man! I've heard alot of stuff here and there about Arsis's lyrics, though I never really bothered to go too in depth. Good analysis. BTW, they also just released an EP.

Txus
10-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Nicely done man...great work as usual and you are getting better at ordering it haha good job dude......for your next Poetry speaks you should do Symphony X or Dredg. :thumb:

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Excellent work my friend. Arsis fanboiy that I am, I'm glad you picked songs like The Face of My Innocence and Wholly Night; Seven Whispers Fell Silent isn't bad at all either. Maddening Disdain is a little less on lyrics, but it has that headbangable chorus riff to make up for anything else. Sweet work, and I'm surprised you didn't take anything from the new EP. The Title track has some incredible stuff.

I just realized, I'm on the wrong account. :( 'Tis I, ShadowsFallen.

Daven
10-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Oh BTW, you really improved your spelling.

The Arsis EP is great, specially A Diamond For Disease. The song is just amazing. Keep up doing this series, because i really enjoy reading them.

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Yea I tried to pay more attention, my spelling sucks, sence over the summer break. Oh this is a weird question judging by my series how old do you think I am.

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Um...13 maybe? Somewhere around there?

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Yea I'm 14, hold I'm going to edit a poll in.

Daven
10-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Yea I tried to pay more attention, my spelling sucks, sence over the summer break. Oh this is a weird question judging by my series how old do you think I am.

Well, your spelling improvement really helped me read the write up. Its better if you put some more effort on spelling because that way people can understand better what you are trying to say.

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
If you're worried about spelling, then just write the thing in a word processor and run it though a spell checker.

If you do Cannibal Corpse, that would make my day.

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Oh yea then I can just paste it on to hear...Man never thought that. Thank you.

Hah, Who voted CC?

Daven
10-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Voted for Symphony X, their lyrics always intrigued me. I really like their style of writing, about epic stories.

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 08:09 PM
I voted Cannibal Corpse. What fools are voting Symphony X? :mad:

Daven
10-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Im voting for Syphony X, because Cannibal Corpse's lyrics are too soft :rolleyes:

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 08:13 PM
I'll just have to disembowel you then, while simultaniously blowtorching your rectum.

Txus
10-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Me:evil:

Bazarov
Im voting for Syphony X, because Cannibal Corpse's lyrics are too soft :rolleyes:
Seriously, Cannibal Corpse have some of the wimpiest lyrics in the world.

Good write up by the way.

Daven
:lol: That's not nice :upset: Im not the only one who has voted for CC though.

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Me:evil:
/kills

Txus
10-25-2005, 08:19 PM
/kills
/Dies listening Sea Of Lies :cool:

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 08:20 PM
/Dies listening Sea Of Lies :cool:
/enjoys your death listening to Skullfuck Crescendo

RiceMonster
10-25-2005, 08:24 PM
I voted for Canibal Corpse too lol.

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Yea because darthrone went to the cannbial corpse thread and told every one to come here and vote for them lol.

Huber
10-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Someone linked to here to vote for Cannibal Corpse so I did real fast.

Now I regret not voting for Symphony X :(

Daven
10-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Yea because darthrone went to the cannbial corpse thread and told every one to come here and vote for them lol.

Great idea, but there's no Symphony x thread. :upset:

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Hahaha, I didn't think people would click the link and vote without looking. :lol:

This is great. :lol: :lol: :lol: Please, keep going.

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 08:28 PM
No lol he went to the CC thread and told them to vote for CC

Apocalyptic Raids
10-25-2005, 08:29 PM
/votes CC :cool:

Bazarov
10-25-2005, 08:33 PM
I actually voted CC. I like Symphony X but. I just think it's be funny reading SilentScream7 trying to talk about Cannibal Corpse's Necropedophile and analyzing it.

The only song I can say by CC that is kind of poetic, is Staring Through The Eyes of the Dead. I really love those lyrics. Because that's something I've thought about before if that would happen to me whether after I was dead, or like under anethesia and having an operation performed.

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 08:44 PM
So when can we expect the Cannibal Corpse writeup?

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 08:49 PM
It would be funny,

It seems in this part of the song the man is entering the casket and planning what he shall do to her,

Now in this passage he looks like he is entering the love canal.

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 08:50 PM
I would be beyond pleased if you did one on them.

You could call it "Poetry Mutilates".

Daven
10-25-2005, 09:14 PM
What about " Mutilated Poetry ", the good thing about CC winning would be searching the poetic elements in it. I cant wait for the next poetry speaks.

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Hah, do you guys really want me to do cannibal corpse?

Daven
10-25-2005, 09:20 PM
I can see you like them, because your avatar is one of their cd's. I think who wons the poll should be the next one. That's if you want to.

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 09:21 PM
I do. :)

You put them up on the poll, and they won. The people have spoken!

Daven
10-25-2005, 09:25 PM
So i gues Cannibla Corpse it is, I will certainly enjoy reading the next write up. Specially if its written like this one :D

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 09:28 PM

It only wins because you robbed people of their freedom by making them vote :lol:

Bazarov
10-25-2005, 09:39 PM

/Makes 5 new accounts to make CC lose.

ElectricalStorm
10-26-2005, 12:39 AM
I really like the premise of this series and feel that you do a great job of exposing R&M to good lyrics but I do have one criticism.... I feel that amount of songs covered is a bit much and the analysis is often sparse as a result. Pages of text can be written on a single good lyric.

Having said that, an in-depth analysis is really tough to produce--and this task is even harder if you're only 14. I'm sure you're putting your best into these threads, and I appreciate the fact the you're challenging yourself for the benefit of the community. Keep in mind that I'm in no way attempting to belittle you or imply that you're incapable of a thread of this nature, so don't take it that way and keep up the good work:thumb: .

Nostalgia
10-26-2005, 12:48 AM
No man, thank you for saying that, I take critisim very well, but I am a little confused on what you mean? I know that 1 lyric can bring meaning to many things but, good lyrical bands are sometimes are kinda metaphorically tough to break down

ElectricalStorm
10-26-2005, 01:03 AM
I mean that trying to tackle four separate lyrics in one segment is too much and leads to less coverage for each song. I think it would be more beneficial if you covered one or two songs and took a closer look at each one. That way the analyses can be more complete (in other words we can have the benefit of understanding the meaning of the whole song rather than just a segment of it). If you find that difficult that's more than understandable because it IS difficult.

Nothings wrong with the current format, and by all means if thats one that you favor for any reason stick with it. I just feel that more depth, even if it reduces your analysis to only one lyric (instead of 4+), would maximize everyone's benefit.

Nostalgia
10-26-2005, 01:07 AM
I agree 100% and your attitude you have just displayed now will get you very very far on these forums.

Oh wow febuary maybe your not new.

Txus
10-26-2005, 07:40 AM
I wanted Symphony X.....I don't want to read on the next Poetry speaks how many times you can abort a baby and then it his guts.....:upset:.....DarkthroneEmperor Cheater!!!!:p

Arucard
10-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Good choice with Wholly Night, thats lyrically amazing.

Good thread.

Nostalgia
10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Okay I have a way to make everyone happy, expect the next one on sunday.

Poofy 666
10-26-2005, 04:09 PM
ha ha voted for CC :lol:

Daven
10-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Okay I have a way to make everyone happy, exoect the next one on sunday.

I think we'll be expecting it. :D

Nostalgia
10-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Oh daven, when I said another one picked by you I was joking...Heh

Shadows
10-26-2005, 04:44 PM
It only wins because you robbed people of their freedom by making them vote :lol:
I didn't put an eGun to anyone's head!

CC is dominating anyway.

south_guitar
10-26-2005, 04:57 PM
God, I love Arsis. I want them to go on tour so bad.

Shadows
10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
It will be a while. They jumped right into the work on their next album. Writing is almost finished and they'll be recording January - February. The new stuff will come out the middle of next year I'm assuming, and since they'll be signed to a new lable by then, expect some generous touring. Until then be patient - I have to. :(

Nostalgia
10-26-2005, 07:31 PM
The only thing that I am worried about is if I make a CC poetry speaks on they won't take me seriousley any more...

Daven
10-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Oh daven, when I said another one picked by you I was joking...Heh

No problem, i suck at internet jokes.

Nostalgia
10-26-2005, 08:00 PM
you have to be very carefull when commiting to a internet joke, because they can't here your emotions when you talk, you could think I was saying it in a serious tone...But I wasn't.

Daven
10-26-2005, 08:03 PM
I guess I'll have to pay more attention to what I read from now on. At least it didnt hurt anybody.

Shadows
10-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Arsis is fucking amazing. :cool:

Toaster
10-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Can you consider doing Meshuggah sometime? If they've been done I apologize.

Nostalgia
10-29-2005, 10:43 PM
No I haven't I will think about it

Thats wierd I was just thinking about someone bumping my thread Wow thats wierd.