PDA

View Full Version : Stoner rock

Mapexian
10-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Anyone know any good stoner rock bands???? i.e. Kyuss, Fu manchu, Queens of the Stoneage

Delay Pedal Boy
10-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Sleep.

comptonasseddy
10-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Jefferson Airplane

Comets on Fire (although more psychadelic than stoner)

Happymeal
10-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Try Bardo Pond if you like your stoner with heavy doses of psychedelia. Fans of Dead Meadow and Comets on Fire will probably like them. Amanita is the only album I have from them but it's cool half-mind altering half-rocking material.

Manticore Guy
10-26-2005, 05:33 PM
High on Fire
Electric Wizard
Orange Goblin
Bongzilla
EyeHateGod

Happymeal
10-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Bongzilla are good the first few listens, but you'll notice they really have a cheesy delivery on their "hey we're a druggie band for druggies" impression.

OrbDragon
10-29-2005, 03:58 AM
Hermano

Interstate
10-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Orange Goblin is the only one I can think of, and it's already been mentioned. Great band though.

Phototropic
10-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Kyuss (Legends)
Dozer (Very similar to Kyuss)
Desert Sessions Jammage, drug effort, awesome music, some songs notepadded and later used on QOTSA albums (Avon / Like a Drug / Hanging Tree
Electric Wizard (Heavy heavy slow band)
Orange Goblin (Back in the old days they were great, I fine their new material a bit stale, Download 'Blue Snow'
Hermano - John (vocals) from Kyuss' other band ('My Boy' is an awesome track)
Slo-Burn - John from Kyuss' other band (Wasn't fussed on these)
Sod Hauler - Great band!!
Unida - another band feat. John from Kyuss - Really great band!!!
Masters of Reality - Producer of QOTSA records, very similar sounding band, bit more experimental
Sixty Watt Shaman - Great heavy rock band, rifftastic
Atomic Bitchwax - Great, bad ass rock and roll
Fu Manchu - Great riffage, featuring Brant Bjork (Ex-Kyuss Drummer)
Che - Feat Brant Bjork + Alfredo Hernandez (Both ex-Kyuss drummers) and Scott Reeder (Ex-Kyuss Bassist)

I hope this has helped

Baliente
10-29-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm surprised noone said Pink Floyd. I'm sure you could say its more of psychedelic acid trip music, but it's still great stoner music.

I listened to Dogs of War by them once, scared the **** outta me. I almost cried.

Phototropic
10-29-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm surprised noone said Pink Floyd. I'm sure you could say its more of psychedelic acid trip music, but it's still great stoner music.

I listened to Dogs of War by them once, scared the **** outta me. I almost cried.

I think they're referring to more heavy stoner rock, riff based bands, usually following in Black Sabbaths footsteps

Floyd are still great though :)

Baliente
10-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah, after downloading some Comets on Fire, I realized that.

I guess I was thinking along the lines of true psychedelic rock...Not saying none of that was, just, less than what I meant.

Oh btw, earlier Incubus stuff. Basically anything before Make Yourself.

Bartender
10-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Incubus (any of them) aren't stoner rock either, though.

Anyway, I'll recommend The Awesome Machine, because if I don't no one else will.

Bartender
10-29-2005, 07:21 PM
The few songs I've heard, yeah. The review that alerted me to their existence remarked that "by pigeonholing themselves into the stoner are, Mannhai are doing themselves a disservice", or something to that effect.

I really should get my hands on that album. I've loved two songs from it for several years now.

shane italian
10-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Listen to http://www.myspace.com/annihilationtime

Baliente
10-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Incubus (any of them) aren't stoner rock either, though.

Anyway, I'll recommend The Awesome Machine, because if I don't no one else will.

Well not anymore they aren't, but their earlier stuff was pretty influenced. I mean, they had a song called 'Smokin the Herb Again'. And another named after a type of shroom.

Bartender
10-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Stoner rock isn't defined by having songs about getting stoned, though. Check out some of the bands that Phototropic listed up above, and you should see the difference.

Phototropic
10-31-2005, 08:57 AM
Stoner rock isn't defined by having songs about getting stoned, though. Check out some of the bands that Phototropic listed up above, and you should see the difference.

Yeah not all of them are stoner, but most of it goes well together :)

I recommend all of those bands...except slo-burn...wasn't fussed on them

Bartender
10-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Most of them are at least stoner-y, and all the ones I've heard are at least really good, if not exceptional. So it's a good list.

BassCozzy
10-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Is anyone a member of www.stonerrock.com ?
you'll find everything thing on their and can download whole songs by just about any stoner band.

Baliente
11-05-2005, 09:05 AM
I doubt they're much like the other bands mentioned here, but Ween.

Phototropic
11-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Most of them are at least stoner-y, and all the ones I've heard are at least really good, if not exceptional. So it's a good list.

:) :cool:

rubbishwithnames
11-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Phototropic pretty much posted the definitive list. If it's stoner rock and it's any good, it's on that list.

Kyuss are still the daddies for me. Some great times/memories with that band!

Phototropic
11-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Phototropic pretty much posted the definitive list. If it's stoner rock and it's any good, it's on that list.

Kyuss are still the daddies for me. Some great times/memories with that band!

:wave:

I feel like I've done something worthwhile, yay

I agree with you, Kyuss are definately the daddies :cool:

forthepeopleofthesun
11-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Lowrider
Beaver
Alabama Thunderpussy
Colour Haze
Nebula
Sons of Otis
Suplecs

are some good ones aside from others that have already been mentioned.

Phototropic
11-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Lowrider
Beaver
Alabama Thunderpussy
Colour Haze
Nebula
Sons of Otis
Suplecs

are some good ones aside from others that have already been mentioned.

Some good ones there, I just got into Beaver, after hearing them on 18 A.D. by QOTSA, great band :D

And I can't believe I fucking left Nebula out :angry:

enjoimx
11-08-2005, 10:36 AM
what about that side project of qotsa. eagles of death metal? i havent heart too much of them

OrbDragon
11-08-2005, 11:35 AM
I really dig Brant Bjorks new band, The Bros

Phototropic
11-08-2005, 11:56 AM
what about that side project of qotsa. eagles of death metal? i havent heart too much of them

They're more Dance Rock if anything, I only want you is a great song...but they seem a tad disposable

Great music for dancing though

Kyle
11-08-2005, 02:40 PM
I always think Nebula and Orange Goblin when I see Stoner Rock threads, they are my favorites.

enjoimx
11-08-2005, 02:43 PM
They're more Dance Rock if anything, I only want you is a great song...but they seem a tad disposable

Great music for dancing though

gotcha

Mapexian
11-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Clutch

LedZeppFan83
11-10-2005, 04:00 PM
- Phish, Widespread Panic, Keller Williams, Robert Randolph & The Family Band, Gov't Mule, Allman Brothers Band, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Grateful Dead, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, ect.

Phototropic
11-12-2005, 06:01 AM
- Phish, Widespread Panic, Keller Williams, Robert Randolph & The Family Band, Gov't Mule, Allman Brothers Band, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Grateful Dead, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, ect.

They're not the stoner rock we're talking about

:wave:

Hey Bartender, I know theres some rule about uploading stuff but I've got a Kyuss concert on yousendit

Would it be cool to share with the nice people of MX?!? :)

(LOKI)
11-14-2005, 12:54 PM
some doom and sludge metal merges with stoner like:
Isis
Neurosis
Sunn0)))
Sleep
Old Man Gloom
Tusk
Mare

stonerrock.com is a really good site for all stoner/doom/sludge related vinyls and cds

Klander Brigade
11-15-2005, 09:26 PM
High on Fire could be considered stoner metal.

Zmev
11-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Sunn0)))

No wonder I dont enjoy them!

Anxious
11-15-2005, 10:18 PM
I love me some Electric Wizard.

comptonasseddy
11-20-2005, 06:23 AM
has anyone got blue catherdral by comets on fire to send me through aim? ive heard antlers of the midnight sun and i fell in love with it straight away.

Bartender
11-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Hey Bartender, I know theres some rule about uploading stuff but I've got a Kyuss concert on yousendit

Would it be cool to share with the nice people of MX?!? :)

Sorry, really didn't see this. Possibly because it was in an edit?

Anyway, the link is probably dead now (apologies), but yeah, it's fine to share stuff like that. Fine to upload anything that's not copyrighted (or that you own the copyright on/have the permission of the copyright owner for).

Phototropic
11-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Alright man no problem, I don't mind uploading them again since this concert is really bad ass :)

WhoresOfTijuana
12-09-2005, 09:29 AM
KYUSS!!!

Add Lamont if you want a more rock n roll feel
Sgt Sunshine has a great album as well

Pale-Folklore
12-09-2005, 03:12 PM
some doom and sludge metal merges with stoner like:
Isis
Neurosis
Sunn0)))
Sleep
Old Man Gloom
Tusk
Mare

stonerrock.com is a really good site for all stoner/doom/sludge related vinyls and cds

YO!, someone else who knows Mare. LoL.
damn they're good live

Zengeance
12-10-2005, 09:52 PM
My favorite band of all time is Queens of the Stone Age.

Happymeal
12-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Fans of Mastodon and High on Fire should also get into Lair of the Minotaur.