PDA

View Full Version : THIRD QUARTER METAL COMPETITION: It's Go Time!

Pages : [1] 2

Jom
10-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the third quarter metal competition!

Because our timing has been a bit goofy, this competition is going to run a little while longer.

First, I would appreciate a lot of entries. Second, I don't have any other excuses.

///

READ ALL OF THE RULES AND GUIDELINES THAT I WILL POST IN A SECTION BELOW. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND THOSE SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS.

IF FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON YOU CANNOT PERFORM SUCH A SIMPLE TASK, PLEASE DRINK AN ENTIRE BOTTLE OF EX-LAX, AS YOU WILL HAVE MORE FUN SITTING ON THE CAN THAN YOU WILL MISINTERPRETING THE RULES. THE RULES AREN'T THAT DEEP, BUT MX IS A STRANGE PLACE INDEED.

IT IS EXTREMELY LIKELY THAT ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU MAY HAVE WILL BE ANSWERED IN THE RULES AND GUIDELINES SECTION OF THIS POST. MAKE SURE YOU LOOK THEM OVER AND FULLY UNDERSTAND THEM BEFORE PARTICIPATING THIS MONTH.

IF IT BECOMES OBVIOUS THAT YOU HAVE NOT READ THE RULES, I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO IGNORE YOUR POSTS AND/OR YOUR SUBMISSIONS. I HAVEN'T HAD TO TO DO THIS EVER, SO DON'T BE THE FIRST ONE, ALRIGHT?

:)

///

Since DarknessOfGreed and Faith+1 reigned triumphant in September's Metal Cover Competition, they earned the right to select this month's genre. They selected:

POLKA METAL!

Just kidding.

They selected:

THRASH METAL!

///

GENERAL RULES FOR SUBMITTING YOUR SONG:

1. You can only enter ONE song.

2a. You are allowed ONE edit. As soon as you submit your song, you are given this edit. If for any reason you feel the need to fix or change anything in your song, then you may use your one edit.

2b. If you elect to use your one edit, you WILL NOT receive any more edits, and you MAY NOT tamper with or edit your song in any way, shape, or form.

2c. A SAMPLE OF YOUR SONG DOES NOT COUNT AS AN EDIT. IF YOU UPLOAD A SAMPLE FOR US, WE WILL GIVE YOU AN OPINION AS TO WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

3. Your song CANNOT BE AN EXISTING SONG for this competition. IT MUST BE A COMPLETELY NEW SONG.

4. Host your song on http://www.soundclick.com/ or upload it into this thread via YSI and I will add it to the competition's Soundclick. If you haven't already, you will need to make an account [on Soundclick, if you elect this option].

5. BOBOTHERAGINGHOBO, RAMSEY, BERNER, AND/OR MYSELF MUST HAVE ACCESS TO THE SONG IN MP3 FORM.

6a. MIDI SUBMISSIONS WILL BE IGNORED.

6b. Exception to Rule 6a: if you're using MIDI drums and/or keyboards, this is allowed; however, ALL GUITARWORK MUST BE AUTHENTIC.

7. If you are in need a recording program, do not ask us. Instead, download this free one: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

///

GENERAL RULES FOR THIS MONTH'S COMPETITION

1. You are absolutely (hell, it's encouraged :)) allowed to have other MXers and/or musicians in your area to help you with your song; however, you (the member on MX) need to have a hand in the production.

2. Your song must be over three (3) minutes.

3. Quality is not a must; instead, songwriting ability is what voters [should] judge on. Naturally, superior quality will give some members an edge in the final voting, but do not be discouraged from entering if you feel you have mediocre or worse equipment.

4. THE SONG MUST PERTAIN TO THE GENRE. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. DO SOME RESEARCH IF YOU ARE NOT POSITIVE.

5. The following users are associates in this competition and will be judging whether or not the songs meet the criteria: BoboTheRagingHobo (Jason), Ramsey (Ramsey), and Berner (Greg).

6. Vocals are NOT A REQUIREMENT. YOUR SONG JUST NEEDS TO PERTAIN TO THRASH METAL.

7. If you are having trouble recording or anything like that, please feel free to ask in this thread, plenty of members (especially Berner and moaner in The Jam Session forum) will be willing to help you to make your song.

8. SOLO(S) ARE NOT REQUIRED, but bear in mind the genre.

///

GENERAL RULES FOR THIS THREAD

1. The winner decides the theme for the next competition thread, except that I (or Jason or Ramsey) will make the thread.

2. Voting takes place in a separate thread, which is usually 2-3 days after the competition is over. PLEASE BE PATIENT. THANK YOU.

3. The next theme can only be a metal theme.*

* Note: I am strongly considering revamping this competition to the following options:

1. Expanding the contest to include rock and metal, considering this is R&M, or
2. "Resetting" the metal genres to include genres we've already done.

4. DO NOT SPAM THIS THREAD.

Besides the accepted definition of spam in R&M, the following case will also be treated as spam:

Don't shit in the thread about how you wished the genre was something else or that someone else should have won. Either you enter the competition and win it and change the genre and vote in the voting threads or shut the hell up.

5. IF YOU ARE UNSURE THAT YOUR SONG MEETS THE GENRE REQUIREMENTS, UPLOAD THE SONG AND WE WILL TELL YOU. Otherwise, do not post useless crap.

6a. DO NOT ASK WHAT THE GENRE IS. IT'S THE BIGGEST TWO WORDS IN THE ENTIRE THREAD.

IF YOU NEED SOME EXAMPLES OF THRASH METAL, USE GOOGLE AND DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, OR HAVE SOMEONE SEND YOU SOME SONGS OVER AIM/Gmail/WHAT HAVE YOU.

///

DEADLINE

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR SONG IS NOVEMBER 27TH, at 11:59:59PM -4 GMT.

THERE WILL NOT BE AN EXTENSION TO THIS COMPETITION, AND THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS THIS TIME AROUND. START PLANNING NOW AND GET YOUR THRASH ON.

Thank you for your understanding.

///

PARTING THOUGHTS:

1. READ THE RULES AND GUIDELINES ONE MORE TIME.

2. Good luck to all the participants.

3. HAVE FUN.

4. If you have questions, DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK IN THIS THREAD. We will not bite your head off unless you blatantly break the rules.

5. Make sure your song pertains to this month's selected genre: thrash metal.

Cordially,

Jom

Magicaltroll
10-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I was mortified when I saw Polka metal...

Very good choice guys!

/reads rules

Shadows
10-25-2005, 06:05 PM
:eek: Polka Metal?

You really scared me there for a second. I think I'll enter this one, hopefully we'll get some more entries this time. I'll just need someone to handel vocals for me.

Arucard
10-25-2005, 06:06 PM
As i have the ability to record now, i think i will enter.

Bazarov
10-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Sick, I'll probably try this one out. Just for fun. I'll give it 100% though I don't care if I win. I'll probably be asking for someone to explain how to get the drums from guitar pro 4 over to Audacity. Because I've tried before, and it wouldn't let me. So I'm in the dark on that.

Darkness
10-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Glad you liked our choice. :D

Me and faith+1 are in again. :thumb:

I may need a vocalist this time though.

Shadows
10-25-2005, 06:15 PM
If I enter one, it means I won't be allowed to volunteer my services to anyone this time?

I guess it's time to take notes from the only thrash band I like. :) I think I'm at a slight disadvantage here.

Toaster
10-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Can we growl and call it neo-thrash?

TojesDolan
10-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Yes. I think I might get into this one. I'll just borrow an amp and ask my friends to help me with the recording.

Yes, finally a genre I kinda understand!!

Jom
10-25-2005, 06:20 PM
If I enter one, it means I won't be allowed to volunteer my services to anyone this time?

I interpret "You can only submit one song" as the following:

You CANNOT make two or more songs and submit all of them. You have to pick just one to submit.

You CAN help another group if you want in addition to submitting a personal entry, but it's discouraged because of the possibility of sabotage, hurt feelings, lack of effort for the group when they're relying on you, etc.

Basically, I would prefer that you stick to either your personal submission or a group submission, but not do both. Focus your energy on one or the other, don't spread it out.

So long as it's thrash, you can do what you want.

However, the voters will know if you're BSing or not and will grade you accordingly. Just exercise caution, heh.

Bazarov
10-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Don't you think most thrash vocalists have a raspy growly voice?
I don't know of many thrash bands that sing with clean vocals through out the song.

QUESTION: Does bass have to be authentic as well?

Darkness
10-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Nevermore doesn't really growl or have many harsh vocals, for that matter... but they're not typical thrash.. :p

Jom
10-25-2005, 06:25 PM
QUESTION: Does bass have to be authentic as well?

All guitarwork has to be authentic, yes. If you don't have a bass, then either a) recruit someone, or b) risk the possibility of your scores taking a hit because you're using MIDI bass.

But really, hopefully you have enough time to decide :)

Bazarov
10-25-2005, 06:26 PM
All guitarwork has to be authentic, yes. If you don't have a bass, then either a) recruit someone, or b) risk the possibility of your scores taking a hit because you're using MIDI bass.

But really, hopefully you have enough time to decide :)

Oh yeah I have enough time. I'll probably just recruit someone if I feel the song really needs bass.

Shadows
10-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Oh man, this means I'll need to find bass and vocals. :(

Shattered_Future
10-25-2005, 06:46 PM
I can do bass, assuming my friend will let me use his. :)

My turn to help and get credit! :D

I WANTED polka metal more than thrash...:upset:

Freezing Moon
10-25-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm entering this time around, one way or another.

bass
Record the bass part on guitar in Audacity, then pitch shift it. It sounds a bit weak, but that can be fixed with some mixing and effects.

Shadows
10-25-2005, 07:27 PM
I didn't know one could do that. I guess I have some experimenting to do, vocals especially.

Shattered_Future
10-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Bah, real bass is easier...plus, somebody already volunteered for him. ;)

Huber
10-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Meh. I wish I could do this one. I have no recording capabilities though.

Lord of Sword
10-25-2005, 07:32 PM
i always use soundfonts for bass, keys, strings, piano etc, basically anything besides guitars. you can get some very realistic sounding soundfonts that are almost as good as vst instruments or even the real thing. i've used a bass one a couple of times and you can hardly tell it's not a real one. or you could just use audacity as was just mentioned.

i'll try and enter this month anyway. i never got round to doing anything for the metal cover one, and jazz/death metal aren't genres i really listen to, let alone could compose. and hopefully i might have a podxt before the deadline

Jawaharal
10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
When is Ramsey going to finish up on the podcast?

Anyways I will probably enter this one. I would just need someone to help on drums a bit since I can't find my drum machine :upset: Anybody wanna help?

ArcLite
10-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Bloody hell. Looks like I'll have to put my power metal tune on hold and start in on this. Good old thrash action.

Freezing Moon
10-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Nevermore doesn't really growl or have many harsh vocals, for that matter... but they're not typical thrash.. :p

NOT THRASH.

Maybe some thrashy influences, but not thrash, no.

Darkness
10-25-2005, 07:57 PM
I think they have lots of thrash influences.

Freezing Moon
10-25-2005, 08:08 PM
I think they have lots of thrash influences.
They're not thrash though, end of story.

Joe
10-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Ah thrash, yes. I'll make sure not to include vocals because I can't sing.

I read the rest of your post Jom and I HIGHLY recommend doing some rock in here too.

RCA
10-25-2005, 08:44 PM
You fuckers better thrash right. I know that plenty of the people who are entering will write their songs with the wrong elements.

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Will you be entering one? ^^

Bazarov
10-25-2005, 08:47 PM
You fuckers better thrash right. I know that plenty of the people who are entering will write their songs with the wrong elements.
Are you entering the competition, I would think so? I'll post some of my song, when I start working on it. Just so I can get you and others opinions.

RCA
10-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Are you entering the competition, I would think so? I'll post some of my song, when I start working on it. Just so I can get you and others opinions.

I have a few original songs written, though I lack the necessary components to record. If had anything, even a mic, I'd definitely enter.

I'm just being picky; I want everyone to make the thrash competition the best one yet. :D

Leper Affinity
10-25-2005, 08:51 PM
I guess I'd better not enter. :( Thrash is my least favorite genre of metal, and concequently I know next to nothing about it. My song will most likely be one of the worst, so make sure you let me know.

Bazarov
10-25-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a few original songs written, though I lack the necessary components to record. If had anything, even a mic, I'd definitely enter.

I'm just being picky; I want everyone to make the thrash competition the best one yet. :D

Yeah I know what you mean, my computer mic sucks. And it's stopped me from entering before, but because I love thrash metal, I've decided to just forget about how crappy the quality is and just try this out.

I guess I'd better not enter. :( Thrash is my least favorite genre of metal, and concequently I know next to nothing about it. My song will most likely be one of the worst, so make sure you let me know.
Eh, don't let that discourage you. Who knows you might write something awesome. People have done these competitions not liking the genre and such.

RCA
10-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, my computer mic sucks. And it's stopped me from entering before, but because I love thrash metal, I've decided to just forget about how crappy the quality is and just try this out.

"Bad" production can sometimes boost the quality of a thrash song, much like it does black metal.

Neurotoxin
10-25-2005, 10:00 PM
I think I might actually enter this. Well, it all depends on whether or not I can obtain a guitar.

Toaster
10-25-2005, 10:00 PM

Please enter! Then we can be the thrash n00b bros.

Can't we make it more modern thrash, though? Like, a more eighties Lamb of God?

Freezing Moon
10-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Everyone who wants to should enter, just be sure you do it right. :thumb:

Can't we make it more modern thrash, though? Like, a more eighties Lamb of God?

LAMB OF GOD - NOT THRASH!

List of NON-thrash bands commonly confused as thrash (or with enough influence to be confused):

1) Lamb of God
2) Shadows Fall
3) Nevermore
4) The Haunted

Sure, they have thrashy influences, and even thrashy moments, but THEY ARE NOT THRASH.

Drunken Viking
10-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Just wondering, is Slayer considered Thrash metal, because on some sites I've went to they have them listed as thrash, and others have them listed as Death, or Jazz metal?

Bazarov
10-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Just wondering, is Slayer considered Thrash metal, because on some sites I've went to they have them listed as thrash, and others have them listed as Death, or Jazz metal?
Slayer is 100% thrash metal bro. Well they used to be. :(

EDIT-Who in their right mind would ever label Slayer as Jazz Metal?! Good God!

EDIT2:Please, if anyone wants some actual thrash songs from real thrash bands I'd be happy to send you songs as I'd be sure others in the Thrash thread would be happy to help.

.:Thrashman:.
10-26-2005, 03:21 AM

dude get your facts right.

DisposableHeroes
10-26-2005, 04:50 AM

I would consider Seasons and everything before that thrash, i havent heard any of the mid/late nineties releases so i cant comment on those, but God Hates Us All i would not call a thrash album. So i would suppose it depends what era your of Slayer your talking about really

Neurotoxin
10-26-2005, 06:51 AM
dude get your facts right.

I believe that's what he was trying to do...

crag
10-26-2005, 07:23 AM
argh, i'd like to enter this one although i'm hopeless at telling the difference between genres:upset:

is anyone willing to send me some thrash songs so i can get an idea of what to do?

cragmaiden666@hotmail.co.uk

thankies:)

superdigg
10-26-2005, 07:49 AM
yay, my favourite metal subgenre :thumb:
unfortunately i'm no good at writing songs, ever. i'll give it a shot next time i'm just riffing around, but i'm mostly looking forward to all the other submissions. yes, good choice for a genre!

Jom
10-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Guys, don't forget to visit the Official Thrash Metal thread in R&M... there are plenty of helpful people that hang out there and would be more than happy to assist you.

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149488

Pete
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Friggin' impossible... The one and only genre I absolutely cannot compose anything in. I mean, what is it supposed to sound like? GAH!

MindPhish
10-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Very cool! Let the Thrash games begin.

Avellin
10-26-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm in!...........Now, someone gonna play the bass part for me?

Shattered_Future
10-26-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm in!...........Now, someone gonna play the bass part for me?

Sure. Write me one, and I'll see what I can do with it. :D

If you need to contact me, AIM: ChildrenOfFilth6

Email: anemiate@yahoo.com

Bazarov
10-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Sure. Write me one, and I'll see what I can do with it. :D

If you need to contact me, AIM: ChildrenOfFilth6

Email: anemiate@yahoo.com

What about myself? If I were to send you the file of the song, would you be kind enough to help out by droppin' some bass lines?

Shattered_Future
10-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Sure, why not?

My friend's bass is gonna be busy the next few days/weeks/whatever. :)

Magicaltroll
10-26-2005, 08:02 PM
I think I might actually enter this. Well, it all depends on whether or not I can obtain a guitar.
I'd like to hear some of your stuff.

Bazarov
10-26-2005, 08:04 PM
I'd like to hear some of your stuff.
Sorry Jom, this offtopic question won't take up a lot of space.

Hey Magicaltroll, I'm just wondering what did you use to record those songs on your Animal Cruelty project. Was it just a computer mic and audacity?

Shadows
10-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Sure, why not?

My friend's bass is gonna be busy the next few days/weeks/whatever. :)
Dude, you're really getting around with this bass thing. :)

Shattered_Future
10-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Hehe...tis good to be multitalented. :D

Just wish my dad would get our bass fixed...wiring's shot.

Damn nice bass too...old school Fender Jazz.

Jom
10-26-2005, 08:11 PM

You don't need to apologize for anything. Everything is about the competition. It's when this thread starts turning into the Ye Olde LOD where I get pissed off, heh. But yeah, hakuna matata, really :)

Shadows
10-26-2005, 08:12 PM
That's one hell of a wonderful phrase.

Magicaltroll
10-26-2005, 09:05 PM

Hey Magicaltroll, I'm just wondering what did you use to record those songs on your Animal Cruelty project. Was it just a computer mic and audacity?
It was a mic plugged into a PODxt, and I used Music Maker 2005 for drums.
I could have got a regular drum prgrammer, and used that and Audacity for regular recording, but it was much easier with that program.

By the way, can someone upload (send me a link or something) a program that I can use to make drums for my song? I NEED a program like that. So if you have one and are willing to upload it, please contact me on here, or email me at malignant5050@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance.

Toaster
10-26-2005, 09:11 PM
What's Audacity? I've heard the term passed around a lot on this subject.. I'm just wondering if it's easier than how I plan to do it.

Darkness
10-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Recording program. Its really good, and free.

Freezing Moon
10-26-2005, 09:14 PM
If you have windows (I don't, so I can't use this :upset: ) go to a torrent site (torrentspy.com) and download Fruity Loops. That would be your best option, methinks.

Also, if you can find it, Drumkit From Hell would probably help your drum sound out a lot too.

I don't know a lot about it, I have some crappy 40$ program that's basically worthless. It gets the drums done, and that's about it.

Toaster
10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Also try Beatcraft. You can get it for free for 7 days, and the sounds are awesome.

Jom
10-26-2005, 09:23 PM
I have Fruity Loops on my computer, I can up that for you, magicaltroll. I haven't used it [yet], so maybe it'll help you.

Bazarov
10-26-2005, 09:25 PM
What's Audacity? I've heard the term passed around a lot on this subject.. I'm just wondering if it's easier than how I plan to do it.
It's pretty user friendly recording program. It was designed thinking about the novice. I've had no problems with it. You can find it at many downloading sites.

Jom
10-26-2005, 09:33 PM
I have the link to Audacity in the first post... just hit Ctrl + F and type in "Audacity" and it'll take you to the link... click and download, as it's free :)

Magicaltroll
10-26-2005, 10:52 PM
I have Fruity Loops on my computer, I can up that for you, magicaltroll. I haven't used it [yet], so maybe it'll help you.
I would REALLY appreciate that.
I had it on the other computer, but never used it much. Only once, and it mostly had Techno-ish sounds on it. Maybe I needed to download a kit for it?

Anyone have the same problem?

Jom
10-26-2005, 11:06 PM
I would REALLY appreciate that.
I had it on the other computer, but never used it much. Only once, and it mostly had Techno-ish sounds on it. Maybe I needed to download a kit for it?

Anyone have the same problem?

Yeah, stick around for a minute.

EDIT: SIGN ON TO AIM PLEASE :mad:

Magicaltroll
10-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah, stick around for a minute.

EDIT: SIGN ON TO AIM PLEASE :mad:
I'm on now :D

evil ernie
10-27-2005, 03:28 AM
Must be over 3 mins?
Slayer have a lot of under 3 mins thrash songs, so does Testament (Into the Pit comes to mind, and a killer that is) and many more.

crag
10-27-2005, 06:26 AM
just a quick question here

are there allowed to be clean parts in the song? for example like the arpeggiated riff thing that comes 3:33 into Master of Puppets.

Trev
10-27-2005, 06:45 AM
^Yes.

I can probably play drums if anyone wants, bearing in mind that the recording quality will be lame.

paranoid923
10-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Hehe...tis good to be multitalented. :D

Just wish my dad would get our bass fixed...wiring's shot.

Damn nice bass too...old school Fender Jazz.

That bass is soo nice. That is with 4 strings :lol: You can use my bass as long as you don't murder it or something. Too bad I suck at picking or I would volunteer to help. I don't think I'm gonna enter so Mike we gotta finish that other song. JESUS AND MOSES UNITE :thumb: (inside joke)

Jom
10-27-2005, 11:19 AM
JESUS AND MOSES UNITE :thumb: (inside joke)

BIBLICAL REFERENCE BIG LULZ!

Right, it looks like this will have a lot of entries. Hopefully, anyway.

Also, I outlined something in the rules, and only one person has discussed it as requested:

3. The next theme can only be a metal theme.*

* Note: I am strongly considering revamping this competition to the following options:

1. Expanding the contest to include rock and metal, considering this is R&M, or
2. "Resetting" the metal genres to include genres we've already done.

Right, I want some feedback here, please. I know people are reading this thread, so I want answers.

crag
10-27-2005, 11:52 AM

Also, I outlined something in the rules, and only one person has discussed it as requested:

Right, I want some feedback here, please. I know people are reading this thread, so I want answers.
i've got nothing against those ideas, gives me more chance of entering the next competitions:)

killa_bees77
10-27-2005, 01:36 PM
can the song have a bit of prog influence? My song is about 70% Thrash and 30% progressive. Is that alright?

Toaster
10-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I have the link to Audacity in the first post... just hit Ctrl + F and type in "Audacity" and it'll take you to the link... click and download, as it's free :)

Thanks very much. I can't use it though.. my computer doesn't have a 1/4 inch jack.

Jom
10-27-2005, 02:08 PM
can the song have a bit of prog influence? My song is about 70% Thrash and 30% progressive. Is that alright?

Since thrash is predominantly featured, then yes, it's okay; however, just beware of the voters. When people start introducing elements of other genres in their songs, their scores more often than not take a hit.

Cain
10-27-2005, 02:56 PM
My impression was that back in the day Kingofdudes was going to start the rock competitions. This was when Ramsey was still running the threads...I guess he's not on enough anymore though.

I'd be all for it, I've been waiting for the rock competitions to start. You'd be extremely hard-pressed to come up with definitive criteria for judging the genres, though, I'd imagine, since rock has become SO broad-based. You'd have to do like a specific genre of rock like classic rock, and even then there would be more of a fixation on notable bands, right?

I don't know, I guess I'm just not quick-witted enough to come up with an easy way to make it work in my head. :p But in a direct response to Jom, I'd vehemently support expanding the composition challenges to rock modes. (I would also have them exist in a seperate continuum from the metal comps)

And I'm all for resetting genres. Better that than to go into really esoteric, lame genres as we're scrounging for additional comp. subjects.

Shattered_Future
10-27-2005, 02:59 PM

Actually, it's something else...:p

I'm all for another metal competition, but reusing old genres shouldn't happen until we've covered all available genres.

Magicaltroll
10-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Must be over 3 mins?
Slayer have a lot of under 3 mins thrash songs, so does Testament (Into the Pit comes to mind, and a killer that is) and many more.
This isn't a Slayer Comptetion, it's a Thrash Metal MX competition :thumb:

I'm pretty sure that if the whole song atleast has a Thrashy feel throughout most the song, it's fine.

iliketoplaydrums10111
10-27-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm not gonna enter due to the lack of everything except drums, but I will listen to all of them and vote, I'm gonna be a nazi.

Freezing Moon
10-27-2005, 05:33 PM

I'd say reset the genres.

The Cover Competition went really well also. If I were you I'd consider running another one of those. You could even combine the ideas (ie. Melodic Death Cover Competition, etc.).

I suppose you could expand it to rock, etc, also. You'd get quite differnet participants each month though, I think.

Magicaltroll
10-27-2005, 05:34 PM
I suppose you could expand it to rock, etc, also. You'd get quite differnet participants each month though, I think.
I'd like that.

Jom
10-27-2005, 05:35 PM
I'd be all for it, I've been waiting for the rock competitions to start. You'd be extremely hard-pressed to come up with definitive criteria for judging the genres, though, I'd imagine, since rock has become SO broad-based. You'd have to do like a specific genre of rock like classic rock, and even then there would be more of a fixation on notable bands, right?

hay guyz, next monf's genre is... RAWK. YAH!

And, go!

///

Of course there would be a more focused genre. I'm working out the kinks with others, but I don't think it's going to be any different than the metal genre competitions.

We'll see, though. I'm optimistic about it.

My impression was that back in the day Kingofdudes was going to start the rock competitions. This was when Ramsey was still running the threads...I guess he's not on enough anymore though.

Ramsey is still around and plays an integral role in these metal competitions, but this is my show for the time being. Whenever Ramsey e-mails me with something, I go with it, as it's his brainchild.

Avellin
10-27-2005, 09:22 PM
I think I'm gonna have to drop out, I don't think I'll have enough time to finish writing anything.

Bazarov
10-27-2005, 09:28 PM
I think I'm gonna have to drop out, I don't think I'll have enough time to finish writing anything.
You have slightly over a month. But oh well. I hope not many more people drop out.

Magicaltroll
10-27-2005, 09:53 PM
I won't be.
I haven't tryed that drum program that Jom gave me yet (thanks again!), but I plan on doing so this weekend. And if that doesn't work out, then I'll be finding another program. There's no way I'm dropping out! Especially this weekend, I'm determined to win!

:cool:

Cain
10-27-2005, 09:55 PM
hay guyz, next monf's genre is... RAWK. YAH!

And, go!

///

Of course there would be a more focused genre. I'm working out the kinks with others, but I don't think it's going to be any different than the metal genre competitions.

We'll see, though. I'm optimistic about it.

Yeah, it should be pretty expansive, considering. You'd have no shortage of genres. I'm excited. :)

Ramsey is still around and plays an integral role in these metal competitions, but this is my show for the time being. Whenever Ramsey e-mails me with something, I go with it, as it's his brainchild.

I meant that kingofdudes isn't around enough anymore to do the rock competitions, not Ramsey. :p

Bazarov
10-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Good, I'm glad to see so much fervor on this genre. I'll be looking forward to listening to the submissions. I just hope no one ends up recording some metalcore/hardcore stuff thinking it's thrash. But I doubt that'll happen.

Magicaltroll
10-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Good, I'm glad to see so much fervor on this genre. I'll be looking forward to listening to the submissions. I just hope no one ends up recording some metalcore/hardcore stuff thinking it's thrash. But I doubt that'll happen.
I'm overloading myself with Kreator and Dark Angel, so that probably won't happen with me :p

evil ernie
10-28-2005, 12:01 AM
This isn't a Slayer Comptetion, it's a Thrash Metal MX competition :thumb:

Wow...

Slayer is a thrash band, used as an example. :rolleyes: Just wanted to point out that a lot of thrash songs are very short and I dont think we shouldnt be allowed to do shorter songs.

Magicaltroll
10-28-2005, 12:52 AM
Wow...

Slayer is a thrash band, used as an example. :rolleyes: Just wanted to point out that a lot of thrash songs are very short and I dont think we shouldnt be allowed to do shorter songs.
I was just saying those are the rules.
Plus, I think it's more of a challenge making a song over 3:00, for me anyway. And that's what's fun about these competitions, challenging yourself to write in different styles than you're used to, and making long songs.

Lord of Sword
10-28-2005, 07:04 AM
could someone post a link or something for how to use drumkit from hell? all i can do with it is press the keyboard in the program to play certain drum sounds, i don't know how you're supposed to set up patterns or record anything with it.

and also, i think it might be a good idea to just block out a genre for about the next 4 or so competitions, instead of resetting all the genres. so thrash couldn't be chosen again until we've had another 4 competitions, and melodic death metal could be chosen as next month's theme, for example. i think they do need to be reset somehow eventually though, people seem to have chosen the most popular genres so far and eventually we'll end up with the totally obscure ones that no one's ever heard of.

crag
10-28-2005, 11:10 AM
so i've been playing around with ideas on Guitar Pro and i think i may have some riffs that could be considered as Thrash, of course i'm hopeless with genres so could someone who knows their Thrash have a listen and tell me if the riffs could be considered as Thrash.

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1AN7GVLD6ERT03ING5RL7HJABL

evil ernie
10-28-2005, 01:16 PM
^ yeah that sounds thrashy enough for me. Some pretty nice riffs in there.

Joe
10-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Ok quick question. First off I am DEFINITELY entering. But I'm just curious:

What defines a thrash song? Is it heavy fast riffs? solos? what?

Shattered_Future
10-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Its generally fast paced music, a lot of times chaotic. Usually focuses on speed and aggression.

Some good thrash bands to check out:

Slayer
Dark Angel
Voivod (War And Pain is their thrashiest, their others are much more prog)
Megadeth (earlier stuff)
Anthrax (earlier stuff)
And of course, Metallica (very early stuff)

I'm a bit of a thrash n00b myself, but there's tons of people that will help you out that know quite a bit about it.

Joe
10-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Its generally fast paced music, a lot of times chaotic. Usually focuses on speed and aggression.

Some good thrash bands to check out:

Slayer
Dark Angel
Voivod (War And Pain is their thrashiest, their others are much more prog)
Megadeth (earlier stuff)
Anthrax (earlier stuff)
And of course, Metallica (very early stuff)

I'm a bit of a thrash n00b myself, but there's tons of people that will help you out that know quite a bit about it.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention before that I had heard a ton of thrash bands but I was just curious what makes a thrash song to help my song out. It's got a bit of a Seek and Destroy feel.

RCA
10-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Voivod suck; do not take anything from them.

Thrash is a riff-oriented genre. Therefore, have quality riffs in your song, have your song structure defined by the riffs, and for brownie points: have lots of riffs. But most importantly, make it sound like a song; don't let it sound like a bunch of riffs that are randomly thrown together.

crag: Your song sounds pretty cool, actually.

Freezing Moon
10-28-2005, 06:05 PM
so i've been playing around with ideas on Guitar Pro and i think i may have some riffs that could be considered as Thrash, of course i'm hopeless with genres so could someone who knows their Thrash have a listen and tell me if the riffs could be considered as Thrash.

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1AN7GVLD6ERT03ING5RL7HJABL

Pretty cool. :)

Part of it sounded like Master of Puppets to me, and another part like Seek and Destroy, but overall I liked it.

Maybe some "The Four Horsemen" too.

Joe
10-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Pretty cool. :)

Part of it sounded like Master of Puppets to me, and another part like Seek and Destroy, but overall I liked it.

Maybe some "The Four Horsemen" too.

My song is kind of a mix of old Metallica, too. It's all completely original, but after you listen to it for awhile it sounds like a mix of old Metallica...

Apathy
10-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I am SO entering this. My growling will be wicked :lol:

Joe
10-28-2005, 09:15 PM
I am SO entering this. My growling will be wicked :lol:

Good :thumb:. I know you're a month old here but it's always nice to see new guys joining these things. I'll be entering soon, yet there will be no vocals especially since there are no lyrics

Apathy
10-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Oh there won't be lyrics, but that won't stop me from doing vocals. :lol:

Troll_Hammer
10-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Can it be more speed metal oriented (as in Megadeth, Testament, Metallica) rather than straight up thrash like Dark Angel?

Jom
10-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Can it be more speed metal oriented (as in Megadeth, Testament, Metallica) rather than straight up thrash like Dark Angel?

Yes, of course, so long as it has thrash elements, please.

Once again, just remember how people will vote :)

///

How's my song? [YSI link]

You're off to a great start, man, keep it up.

Apocalyptic Raids
10-29-2005, 03:30 AM
ATTN
The next Titans of Thrash Mauiling List email will be the "Essentials". Anybody unclear on what thrash is, or needs an idea of what thrash sounds like should sign up here. (http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400966) The email should be sent in about 4-5 days.

These are the albums that will probably be included. The ones that have been dibs'd are certainties.

Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Sodom - Agent Orange
Destruction - Release From Agony (Face.. has dibs)
Kreator - Pleasure To Kill (ill do this)
Anthrax - Among The Living
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains (Tyler has dibs)
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Possessed - Seven Churches (mathias has dibs)
Slayer - Reign In Blood (Butcher has dibs)
Overkill - The Years Of Decay (andy has dibs)
Nuclear Assault - Survive or Game Over (gates of heaven has dibs)

adsta
10-29-2005, 03:30 AM
I'll try and enter this one. I'll have finished uni in a couple weeks, so I'll have no excuses for not entering something this time.

Biancazzurri
10-29-2005, 08:56 AM
hey, i have only an acoustic guitar so i think it won't sound thrash metal at all , but my guess i can distort the sound of the clean guitar. could someone help me with that sort of program?

Toaster
10-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Generally, is having bad vocals or no vocals better? My song would be fairly boring without vocals, but I can't put in lead guitar lines everywhere, seeing as it is a thrash contest. I'm not sure whether to record vox or not.

Magicaltroll
10-29-2005, 11:24 AM
:lol:
That never stopped me either.

Shattered_Future
10-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Best way to go. INCOHERENT GROWLING!!! :D

I forgot who I was doing basslines for...all who I was, raise your collective hands. And attempt to get me a bass part as soon as possible.

Bazarov
10-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Generally, is having bad vocals or no vocals better? My song would be fairly boring without vocals, but I can't put in lead guitar lines everywhere, seeing as it is a thrash contest. I'm not sure whether to record vox or not.
It depends there are some great instrumental thrash songs.

http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=38GBNVDZ6E4AR2A4QRB835ELI4 Okay, that's what I have so far. I'm probably going to make some changes, and speed up some parts. This is just a "proto-type". It's not midi-either. Maybe some of you guys can give me some suggestions.

crag
10-29-2005, 04:13 PM
It depends there are some great instrumental thrash songs.

http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=38GBNVDZ6E4AR2A4QRB835ELI4 Okay, that's what I have so far. I'm probably going to make some changes, and speed up some parts. This is just a "proto-type". It's not midi-either. Maybe some of you guys can give me some suggestions.
some pretty cool riffs in there, i like:thumb:

certainly a lot more imaginative and interesting riffs than what i've got:upset:

Bazarov
10-29-2005, 04:15 PM
some pretty cool riffs in there, i like:thumb:

certainly a lot more imaginative and interesting riffs than what i've got:upset:
I actually really liked yours. I really want to hear it with real instruments.

Biancazzurri
10-29-2005, 06:15 PM
wow butcher, nice stuff, last part is not so brilliant though

Toaster
10-29-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm finished.. My song is in WAV format, how do I get it to this page?

Bazarov
10-29-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm finished.. My song is in WAV format, how do I get it to this page?
Alright man, um... if you don't have it in MP3 format do that first. Then use http://yousendit.com or http://megaupload.com and then upload the file through there, then post the link in here.

Toaster
10-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Alright man, um... if you don't have it in MP3 format do that first. Then use http://yousendit.com or http://megaupload.com and then upload the file through there, then post the link in here.

Should I send it to my self then? Who should I send it to through Yousendit?

Bazarov
10-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Should I send it to my self then? Who should I send it to through Yousendit?
Oh the email address that you want to send it to is optional.

Jom
10-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Yeah, you don't need to insert any e-mail addresses... just upload the file and hit "Send" and wait for it to store, and you'll be golden.

Toaster
10-29-2005, 08:58 PM
http://s60.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0NSWKG7BBVVWJ098B38CY0BZK6

This is my FINAL submission. :)

Jom
10-29-2005, 09:02 PM
So wait, this is your final entry, or this is what you wish to submit until you use your one edit?

EDIT: are you going to give your entry a name besides "MX SONG?" :)

Bazarov
10-29-2005, 09:03 PM

It's an instrumental, so I hope the one edit rule is still in effect.

EDIT: To clarify, this is my submission. :)

My God, that was really good. How long have you been playing?

Shattered_Future
10-29-2005, 09:04 PM
It has a name...I downloaded it. Pretty sure it's called Roaming Death.

Toaster, all I have to say...bravo. That was stunning.

Granted, it's a bit repetitive, but the riffs were beastly, the drums (I'm assuming programmed) were goddamn superb, the solo made my jaw drop...just a brilliant, brilliant effort.

You officially rock. :thumb:

Toaster
10-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Two years, give or take two months. Thanks very much, it was hard to write strictly thrashy-type riffs. :)

Shattered_Future
10-29-2005, 09:07 PM
2 years?!

I've been playing for almost 5, and I can still barely solo like that...:upset:

Bazarov
10-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Two years, give or take two months. Thanks very much, it was hard to write strictly thrashy-type riffs. :)

Damn man, I was expecting you to say 8 years or something. I've been playing nearly 3 and I have a hard time pulling off solos like that. :thumb: Just wondering how did you record on your guitars?

Toaster
10-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Damn man, I was expecting you to say 8 years or something. I've been playing nearly 3 and I have a hard time pulling off solos like that. :thumb: Just wondering how did you record on your guitars?

Uh, a 15-watt Line6 amp into a Zoom 4 track. I used a click track on the 4 track so I would stay in time, then I put that onto Audacity and put the drum tracks onto that.

Shattered_Future
10-29-2005, 09:39 PM
You get great recording tone. Mine sounds like it got crapped on inside a cardboard box.

Moses
10-29-2005, 10:55 PM
I know this probably isn't thrash enough but it's what I'm working on at the moment so just let me know if it's legit.
Here's what I have so far. (http://tinyurl.com/d227p)

Bazarov
10-29-2005, 11:21 PM
That was pretty cool Moses. I'm thinking about writing lyrics to this song I have, but I am terrible at singing nicely, and not even good at singing all raspy and such. I wonder if I can get anyone to sing my lyrics if I decide to. So yeah. You people can find my IM in my profile. Shattered Future, I still would greatly appreciate it if you could do the basslines. I don't own a bass, and the only kid I know that plays bass lives to far from my house for me to just drive over and borrow his bass for 20 or so minutes.

Moses
10-29-2005, 11:34 PM
The thing about my song is that it's going to have a piano only interlude, I don't know if it'll be thrash after that. Of course a few thrash bands do have acoustic interludes and that's not much different, but still I think it would fit better in the prog category.

RCA
10-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Toaster: Your song is pretty decent, aside from some tiny groove moments in there. I think your song would be ten times better if it were sped up a bit. Keep up the good work!

Moses: Your riffs are too groovy; clean that up. I love your guitar tone though. :)

Bazarov
10-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Toaster: Your song is pretty decent, aside from some tiny groove moments in there. I think your song would be ten times better if it were sped up a bit. Keep up the good work!

Moses: Your riffs are too groovy; clean that up. I love your guitar tone though. :)

I posted mine hoping you'd review it. Because I care more what you think about it more than the other MX'ers since you are THE biggest thrash fan I know of.

RCA
10-30-2005, 12:14 AM
I posted mine hoping you'd review it. Because I care more what you think about it more than the other MX'ers since you are THE biggest thrash fan I know of.

Ah, how did I miss that?

Ok, your riffs are indeed solid ones. The riff change at about 0:50 sounds like it would be killer if you had a good drum beat/fill under it. Overall, your song has an At Dawn They Sleep/Life Without Sense kind of feel to it. I'd say with drums, your song would definitely be a good one.

Moses
10-30-2005, 12:15 AM
What exactly do you mean by groovy? Like I said it's not really meant to be for this competition but if I can get it in without having to change a whole lot then I'll submit it.

Also about the tone, I have no idea how I got that tone. I impressed myself when I listened to the recording. I thought to myself, "is that me?". It kind of sounds like the tone in Symphony X's Of Sins and Shadows.

RCA
10-30-2005, 12:22 AM
What exactly do you mean by groovy? Like I said it's not really meant to be for this competition but if I can get it in without having to change a whole lot then I'll submit it.

Also about the tone, I have no idea how I got that tone. I impressed myself when I listened to the recording. I thought to myself, "is that me?". It kind of sounds like the tone in Symphony X's Of Sins and Shadows.

Your riffs are groovy in the start/stop sense of the word. I don't know how to completely explain this, but add more palm-muting (especially in that riff that starts at 0:27; palm-muted eighth notes would sound great there).

Moses
10-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Do you mean I don't have enough straight sixteenth or eighth notes?

crag
10-30-2005, 05:56 AM

This is my FINAL submission. :)
:amaze: that was fast!

overall i liked this, you're very good for someone whos been playing the same length of time as me:)

i only have one complaint though, the panning on the drums was very wierd at times maybe if the cymbals weren't panned so far to the left and right it would be better, but still awesome.:thumb:

Toaster
10-30-2005, 07:18 AM
i only have one complaint though, the panning on the drums was very wierd at times maybe if the cymbals weren't panned so far to the left and right it would be better, but still awesome.:thumb:

Alas, that happened when I rendered the tracks to MP3 format. I tried a few times, it was unavoidable.

Jom, the song does have a name.. it just doesn't show up on the Yousendit page. Is that all right?

RCA
10-30-2005, 07:41 AM
Do you mean I don't have enough straight sixteenth or eighth notes?

I don't know about "enough", but some of your riffs could use them.

Jom
10-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Jom, the song does have a name.. it just doesn't show up on the Yousendit page. Is that all right?

Yeah, that's my fault, I didn't see it until I played the file. No worries :)

Shattered_Future
10-30-2005, 09:15 AM
That was pretty cool Moses. I'm thinking about writing lyrics to this song I have, but I am terrible at singing nicely, and not even good at singing all raspy and such. I wonder if I can get anyone to sing my lyrics if I decide to. So yeah. You people can find my IM in my profile. Shattered Future, I still would greatly appreciate it if you could do the basslines. I don't own a bass, and the only kid I know that plays bass lives to far from my house for me to just drive over and borrow his bass for 20 or so minutes.

Hit me up with a bassline and I'll see what I can do.

Maybe I can do vox too...:D

Jonney Blazes V1
10-30-2005, 09:23 AM
I would enter but I only have an acoustic at hom..Ever heard of an acoustic thrash metal song??

RCA
10-30-2005, 09:56 AM
I would enter but I only have an acoustic at hom..Ever heard of an acoustic thrash metal song??

Michael Hedges' music was sometimes referred to as "acoustic thrash", though it never really was actual thrash metal.

/trivia

Cain
10-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Michael Hedges' music was sometimes referred to as "acoustic thrash", though it never really was actual thrash metal.

/trivia

\m/

Michael Hedges is greatness incarnate.

I may try this out. I'm no thrash expert, and my picking hand is a little iffy, but hopefully I'll be able to come up with some good stuff.

RCA
10-30-2005, 12:37 PM
\m/

Michael Hedges is greatness incarnate.

I may try this out. I'm no thrash expert, and my picking hand is a little iffy, but hopefully I'll be able to come up with some good stuff.

I'd like to thank you for introducing him to me. :D

I'd love to hear your song if you entered this, as I enjoy your other songs quite a bit.

Cain
10-30-2005, 12:41 PM
I'd like to thank you for introducing him to me. :D

I'd love to hear your song if you entered this, as I enjoy your other songs quite a bit.

Thanks. :) We'll see: I'm pretty busy at the moment transcribing the score to that LOTR tune that I wrote, but if I get time I'll enter.

Moses
10-30-2005, 02:10 PM
So Jom, could you listen to my song and tell me if it's thrash enough? I doubt it and I wouldn't want people getting mad at me for having a non-thrash song in the competition. If I was you I wouldn't let me enter because I don't even think it's thrash metal. Keep in mind that there will be a piano only interlude.

Toaster
10-30-2005, 02:22 PM
So Jom, could you listen to my song and tell me if it's thrash enough? I doubt it and I wouldn't want people getting mad at me for having a non-thrash song in the competition. If I was you I wouldn't let me enter because I don't even think it's thrash metal. Keep in mind that there will be a piano only interlude.

Why not save the song for a prog-metal competition, and write a thrash-only song? That song has some great riffs, and you don't want to get a low score just for being too proggy, or too non-thrash. Whereas if you saved the song for another comp, you could score far higher.

Bazarov
10-30-2005, 02:25 PM

If I were you. I'd keep that quick intro. But your slower part, that starts at about 28 seconds.. speed it up add more (add more 16th notes). Possibly add more fast downpicks to give more of a chuggier sound.

I like your song though, I just want to help you out so don't take that as like I don't like it.

Have you signed up for the thrash metal mailing list? This one coming up is all classic thrash albums. If you haven't I'd suggest you should so you could get more ideas and get a better feel of what thrash sounds like.

Moses
10-30-2005, 02:28 PM
The thing is, I'm not willing to make an effort to write a new song. I guess you're right, I'll save it for a prog metal comp. Isn't there some kind of rule about starting after the announcement of the next type of contest?

Don't worry I know what thrash is like, I just thought that I could hit two birds with one stone in submitting the song that I'm writing for my band at the moment.

Bazarov
10-30-2005, 02:30 PM
The thing is, I'm not willing to make an effort to write a new song. I guess you're right, I'll save it for a prog metal comp. Isn't there some kind of rule about starting after the announcement of the next type of contest?

Don't worry I know what thrash is like, I just thought that I could hit two birds with one stone in submitting the song that I'm writing for my band at the moment.

:lol: AH I see. Well you've got a good song there.

Toaster
10-30-2005, 02:32 PM

The first post doesn't have say you have to write it during the contest period, although most people will. So I wouldn't worry about ineligibility.. how could they know if you wrote it recently or not anyway?

Moses
10-30-2005, 02:37 PM
tr00f

I'll start writing somthing thrash after I finish my AP History project.

:lol: AH I see. Well you've got a good song there.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Chimaera One
10-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Bah, finally a genre I could submit to and the deadline is smack-damn in the middle of my exams.

Oh well, who cares about "Computing Studies" anyway?? :P

(I do :(.)

adsta
10-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Bah, finally a genre I could submit to and the deadline is smack-damn in the middle of my exams.

Oh well, who cares about "Computing Studies" anyway?? :P

(I do :(.)

Studying computers is a waste of time (trust me, I just spent 3 years doing so). Make a song for this comp instead:p

Magicaltroll
10-31-2005, 12:35 AM
I've got my song written.
It's not straight Thrash, but it's got some Thrashy parts, and an over-all Thrashy feel to it.

I should get to recording it in a few weeks, since I've got to screw around with some software I have.

Chimaera One
10-31-2005, 01:34 AM
Studying computers is a waste of time (trust me, I just spent 3 years doing so). Make a song for this comp instead:p

It's not so much the subject, as the back of my dear Dad's hand I'm afraid of :P. :rolleyes:

Biancazzurri
10-31-2005, 12:24 PM
toaster, you blew me away with your solo... great stuff
I'll save your work on my comp, that means sometime i'll hear this (even if i format the comp it will be saved :))

Bazarov
10-31-2005, 04:39 PM
About plugging the guitar straight into the computer. Does anyone know how to go about doing that properly and such?

Chimaera One
10-31-2005, 05:14 PM
You can't really plug it straight in, it has to go through something first, I think. Either an effects pedal or amplifier or something. I plug the output of my effects pedal thingy / amplifier into the computer (you'll need a special cable, which has a...big end...and a...small end :P), usually in the microphone, because I can't seem to get my line in to record, but I recommend trying to plug that end into your line in.

Magicaltroll
10-31-2005, 07:21 PM
I use my PODxt, and then that "small end big end" cord to the computer.
It sounds great if the volume is good.

I don't know about other pedals though :/

Bazarov
10-31-2005, 07:33 PM
I use my PODxt, and then that "small end big end" cord to the computer.
It sounds great if the volume is good.

I don't know about other pedals though :/
Yeah, I don't have much money, and it's hard to get my father to buy me stuff. I can't offord that. :/ I would like to have one though, I checked it out one on the internet.

Toaster
10-31-2005, 07:37 PM

I didn't really think there were any groove moments. In fact, I tried hard not to include any start/stop riffs. Do you mean when the drums go all half-time? And yeah, I didn't think I could play that fast part any faster without losing a lot of definition. But thanks very much for your input, I appreciate it. :)

Freezing Moon
10-31-2005, 09:06 PM
I didn't really think there were any groove moments. In fact, I tried hard not to include any start/stop riffs. Do you mean when the drums go all half-time? And yeah, I didn't think I could play that fast part any faster without losing a lot of definition. But thanks very much for your input, I appreciate it. :)
I liked your song, but I agree with RCA. It would be 10 times better if you sped it up to a thrashier pace.

Good work though, you are obviously very skilled at guitar playing, songwriting, and recording.

Joe
11-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I don't have much money, and it's hard to get my father to buy me stuff. I can't offord that. :/ I would like to have one though, I checked it out one on the internet.

Ok well computer distortion is awful, don't even try it. If you have an amp send it through the amp and either out the direct out or headphone jack. If you don't want to do that, get a 1/4" --> 1/8" chord ($6> at radio shack) and just plug it in the line in or microphone.

The quality will not be good, but it will record

Pete
11-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Okay, I'm just doing a long line of consecutive riffs (since I don't know what trash lyrics are generally about), inspired by the thrash I listen to. It's kinda "general" metal (not death/black or power), but isn't that what thrash is?

Chimaera One
11-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Needing some Thrashographic help here!

Is Metallica all thrash? Like, does Thrash have to be fast for it to be thrash? What about stuff like Seek and Destroy, Ride the Lightning and For Whom the Bell Tolls, they're a pretty moderate tempo, are they thrash? Or does it have to be fast?

Bazarov
11-01-2005, 03:09 PM

Is Metallica all thrash? Like, does Thrash have to be fast for it to be thrash? What about stuff like Seek and Destroy, Ride the Lightning and For Whom the Bell Tolls, they're a pretty moderate tempo, are they thrash? Or does it have to be fast?

Metallica's Kill em' All was their only solid thrash album in my opinion. Just sign up for the Thrash Metal mailing list, this week, it's classic thrash albums. But yeah usually thrash is really fast. Slayer's Angel of Death is a good example of a thrash song in my opinion.

Ok well computer distortion is awful, don't even try it. If you have an amp send it through the amp and either out the direct out or headphone jack. If you don't want to do that, get a 1/4" --> 1/8" chord ($6> at radio shack) and just plug it in the line in or microphone.

The quality will not be good, but it will record
I can already record. I want good quality.

Darkness
11-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Hm.. I'm most likely out of this competition. :upset: The other guitarist that I was playing with for this' amp broke... but we'll see...

Toaster
11-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Is it legal for me to do someone else's song? If they don't have recording capabilities but they do have riff-writing capabilities, could they just send me their song and I could record it?

I would have virtually no creative input into the song, it would be credited to the writer.

RCA
11-01-2005, 05:26 PM

Thrash is usually mid-paced to fast in tempo, though there are "drop to half-speed" breakdowns in thrash. Listen to a Nuclear Assault song for a good example of this.

Jom
11-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Is it legal for me to do someone else's song? If they don't have recording capabilities but they do have riff-writing capabilities, could they just send me their song and I could record it?

I would have virtually no creative input into the song, it would be credited to the writer.

Well, if you're the only option for him/her, then I'll allow it, as I want lots and lots of entries.

However, please label whose song you're recording for.

ninjamonkey
11-01-2005, 07:51 PM
i always use soundfonts for bass, keys, strings, piano etc, basically anything besides guitars. you can get some very realistic sounding soundfonts that are almost as good as vst instruments or even the real thing. i've used a bass one a couple of times and you can hardly tell it's not a real one. or you could just use audacity as was just mentioned.

i'll try and enter this month anyway. i never got round to doing anything for the metal cover one, and jazz/death metal aren't genres i really listen to, let alone could compose. and hopefully i might have a podxt before the deadline
What do you mean by soundfonts?

Magicaltroll
11-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Jom, I owe my life to you.
Fruity Loops is exactly what I've been looking for all this time. The drums sound so real!

Thank you.

Jom
11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Fruity Loops is exactly what I've been looking for all this time. The drums sound so real!

Thank you.

No worries. I don't even know how to use the fucking program, yet I have it on my computer :cool:

I'm glad I could help you out.

MetalMusicMan
11-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanx Alot

Magicaltroll
11-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I know, it took me a while to find a good drum set, and man, it is good.

Do you know if you can export the drum song thing as an mp3?
I could probably figure it out, but it would be easier to ask.

Thanx Alot
No problem.

:confused:

Toaster
11-01-2005, 09:22 PM

Thank you.

Is the free trial limited? Do you only get it for 7 days or something? Because I use Beatcraft and having to reinstall it every seven days is tedious.

Magicaltroll
11-01-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't know where you could get a trial version.
It's not a trial, the version I got. It's the real deal*.

*-Pirated++

:p

Jom
11-01-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't know where you could get a trial version.
It's not a trial, the version I got. It's the real deal*.

*-Pirated++

:p

Shhhhhh. We keep things like this on the low-down and the down-low.

Moses
11-01-2005, 09:35 PM

You should have them sign up on MX. Then you just upload it under their name.

Toaster
11-01-2005, 09:38 PM
You should have them sign up on MX. Then you just upload it under their name.

He is a user, lightningmetal666. I was just making sure, it's a lot of work just to be rejected for some reason.

Jom
11-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Uh, I already answered this.

Well, if you're the only option for him/her, then I'll allow it, as I want lots and lots of entries.

However, please label whose song you're recording for.

So, be sure to say, "This is lightningmetal666's song [link]."

Moses
11-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Okay well I was wondering how someone could enter without a user name. I didn't know they already had a user name.

Jom
11-01-2005, 10:01 PM
No worries.

Magicaltroll
11-01-2005, 10:35 PM
So does anyone have a song recorded yet?

Darkness
11-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Give it 27 days.

Children of Opeth
11-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Heres some of what ive been working on, i'm pretty proud of it so far. I also plan to put vocals in it. Comments and critisizm would be appreciated. It's called 1984 Now (http://s33.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=28F8DK3WK16B01138D24FJ6U5D)

Apocalyptic Raids
11-02-2005, 01:34 AM
That was good.

I like how it kept moving along, not sitting on the on riff for ages.

crag
11-02-2005, 10:20 AM
i've got my drums all set, tis my first time using DKFH and Beatcraft so they're not perfect.

i'll probably do the guitars and bass this weekend:D

[Heres some of what ive been working on, i'm pretty proud of it so far. I also plan to put vocals in it. Comments and critisizm would be appreciated. It's called 1984 Now
i like it, good riffs and good playing:)

andyhainey
11-02-2005, 12:58 PM
cant wait for yours crag :D :thumb:

EDIT: http://s60.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...J098B38CY0BZK6

This is my FINAL submission.

that song is AWESOME!!! :D :D

solo is awesome as well !!!

Joe
11-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Ok so mine has a little bit of a Metallica sound in various places along with other stuff. All the riffs and everything are original and all. I'm thinking about cutting down the solo because it's pretty long. The intro isn't too thrashy at all but its really cool and I thought it fit with the song. I would consider the rest of the song thrash

(just typing that up to describe, I'll post the song draft tonight)

http://s60.yousendit.com/notreallinklookafewpagesback

This is my FINAL submission.

It's awesome. I can already tell mine will lose because I don't have any drums.

Moses
11-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Download Fruity Loops...... That's what most of us do.

Josue
11-02-2005, 08:29 PM
will it still be considered thrash if there is blast beats? they only seem to be in death metal songs to me

Moses
11-02-2005, 08:35 PM
As long as the song is thrash. If the blast beat makes it sound like death metal then no but if it still sounds like thrash go ahead.

Crysiss
11-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Yo matt, your song sounds slayerish, Pretty heavy...Awesome Riffs

Magicaltroll
11-03-2005, 04:52 PM
I couldn't hear the song :(

Another upload please?

RCA
11-03-2005, 05:21 PM
As long as the song is thrash. If the blast beat makes it sound like death metal then no but if it still sounds like thrash go ahead.

Blastbeats are common in death/thrash, so yeah, he can use them.

Keep the thrash riffage though. :thumb:

Chimaera One
11-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Blastbeats are common in death/thrash, so yeah, he can use them.

Keep the thrash riffage though. :thumb:

Don't suppose you could recommend one or two songs which make good use of blast beats in thrash? I can't seem to fit them into my song and allow it to stay thrash, it always seems to delve into the death realm :(.

RCA
11-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Don't suppose you could recommend one or two songs which make good use of blast beats in thrash? I can't seem to fit them into my song and allow it to stay thrash, it always seems to delve into the death realm :(.

Torture Squad - Horror And Torture
Sauron - Demonic Invasion

Magicaltroll
11-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Man, my song is pretty awesome!
The only thing don't like about it is the cymbal sound :/

I know it sounds like I'm being pretty full of myself, but I love this song I'm making :D I should have a sample up tommorrow.

ATTENTION:
this is the intro to my entry, let me know what you guys think.

http://s35.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1IY23BT4YDJ4M3VYFRJZNVW50C

Moses
11-03-2005, 10:05 PM
You should download Drum Kit From Hell. It's got some really good cymbals among other things. Anything by Thomas Haake can't be bad. It has different volumes and I think that's what you need.

Magicaltroll
11-03-2005, 10:08 PM
That's definitely what I need :p
Can I get it from someone in here?
And isn't it really hard to program stuff?

Moses
11-03-2005, 10:16 PM
It's pretty simple to use, it's just like anything else off of Fruity Loops just has more options than the packs it comes with. You could get it off Limewire.

crag
11-04-2005, 10:12 AM
That's definitely what I need :p
Can I get it from someone in here?
And isn't it really hard to program stuff?
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NEZOC334 :thumb:

also to anyone who is experienced with dkfh, what samples do you use for cymbals and toms i can't seem to find any decent sounding ones?

Magicaltroll
11-04-2005, 05:22 PM

also to anyone who is experienced with dkfh, what samples do you use for cymbals and toms i can't seem to find any decent sounding ones?
Thanks!
That must have took a while to upload. Thank you very much.

Darkness
11-04-2005, 06:41 PM

Is that the actual program?

Magicaltroll
11-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Is that the actual program?
All I got was drum sounds, like different kits.
:confused:

This is still awesome though... I have so many kits to choose from.
..Just gotta figure out how to use them with Fruity Loops now.

Darkness
11-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Damn.. I want that program... but I'm to cheap to go buy it. :lol:

Jom
11-05-2005, 10:25 AM
So far, I only have a final submission from toaster135.

(This is a post for my sanity more than anything).

Magicaltroll
11-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Don't worry, I'm finishing this weekend, then I''ll do vox next week (this tuesday).

Any tips on how to organize this drum stuff?
I have like a million kits, but theres so many toms and cymbals, that they have to be different kits. I'd go by their little number thing, but I'd be organizing them all day.

Maybe getting the real program would help alot?

;) (worth a shot right?)

Joe
11-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Ok... here's my song. It's definitely not the final. There is no drums and no bass yet.

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1OXTJPPPJRDZF2NLL2NADUDJJY

It's untitled as of now, and it's also not that great quality. I'm mostly looking for judging on the actual riffs for now, not just what you'd finally judge

PS - It is NOT in mp3. I can if it is really necessary just for this one and not the final. Also, when is the deadline?

Magicaltroll
11-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Ok... here's my song. It's definitely not the final. There is no drums and no bass yet.

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1OXTJPPPJRDZF2NLL2NADUDJJY

It's untitled as of now, and it's also not that great quality. I'm mostly looking for judging on the actual riffs for now, not just what you'd finally judge

PS - It is NOT in mp3. I can if it is really necessary just for this one and not the final. Also, when is the deadline?
I'm about a minute into it, it sounds pretty cool.
Kinda Metallica-ish at the beginning, then it gets kinda blues-y.

Pretty sweet so far.

Joe
11-05-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm about a minute into it, it sounds pretty cool.
Kinda Metallica-ish at the beginning, then it gets kinda blues-y.

Pretty sweet so far.

Yea it does have a bit of Metallica influence in it. Not sure where the blues-y is... but that's ok. Thanks :D . Is it "thrashy?" I'm bad with genres of metal.

Magicaltroll
11-05-2005, 11:52 AM
I don't know, it was dedfinitely Metallica like, so people consider them metal...

But I felt that it kinda lacked the agression sound.
:/

It was good though.

Jom
11-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Also, when is the deadline?

DEADLINE

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING YOUR SONG IS NOVEMBER 27TH, at 11:59:59PM -4 GMT.

:).

Joe
11-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks jom :)

Magicaltroll, I agree. I can guarentee you'd think differently if I had drums because there's supposed to be heavy and fast double bass and all that stuff, but since I don't have drums or a drum kit you lose that agressive feeling :(

Toaster
11-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks jom :)

Magicaltroll, I agree. I can guarentee you'd think differently if I had drums because there's supposed to be heavy and fast double bass and all that stuff, but since I don't have drums or a drum kit you lose that agressive feeling :(

Then get a drum program and add some drums!! I agree, 98% of songs sound better with drums added.

Rock_Out_Dudes
11-05-2005, 01:12 PM
I have 2 songs I'm debating putting up for this. I was just wondering if you guys could let me know which one is more thrashy, or which one you like more.

The first one doesn't have any solos or drums writen yet, but here are the rhythym parts:

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3MN4NKWGLL0IR3TPIUNHHLVNFW

Here's the second...it has everything, but the drums suck because they are "melodic toms" in power tabs. I'll either record real drums or use DKFH on my submission if I choose to do this song:

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1GEWJXGMRV62D30BOU5QMPLLX2

Becasue this is just the power-tabs version I don't have vocals, but I will put vocals to both of them.

Magicaltroll
11-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Man...
I'm dying to put a breakdown in this song!
It would fit perfectly. But it wouldn't be Thrash, so I think I'll just do Slayer type breakdown.

FlyingPaul_83
11-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Heres a very rough, very short recording. My main concern is if its thrash. I'm horrible at genres and I don't know if this is thrash or not. You guys can also tell me if I'm headed in the right direction if you want. I'm open to any comments

http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=38R6TKBP3LXHZ3D9VMEE4OOJ77

my setup was:

Guitar -->distortion pedal--->line in--->audacity

so it sounds pretty bad.

Trev
11-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Hi guys. I'd really like to take part in this competition, but I only play drums. If anyone would let me play the drum part to their entry that would rule.

Bazarov
11-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Okay quick question. Does anyone know of any free programs where I can get effects put onto my guitar? KKKKKocaine told me about this program called Guitar Rig, he said it was pretty good aswell, but I have to fill out out all this registration stuff.

Oh and Postman Pie.. I might just have to take you up on that offer. :thumb:

Toaster
11-05-2005, 06:27 PM
lightningmetal666, you can send those riffs anytime. The sooner the better.

RCA
11-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Man...
I'm dying to put a breakdown in this song!
It would fit perfectly. But it wouldn't be Thrash, so I think I'll just do Slayer type breakdown.

Adding hardcore/metalcore breakdowns automatically makes it shit. Good idea on the Slayer-esque break, they were good at them during the 80s.

Magicaltroll
11-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Adding hardcore/metalcore breakdowns automatically makes it shit. Good idea on the Slayer-esque break, they were good at them during the 80s.
I know, that's why I decided against it.
But I've been locing those types of breakdowns lately, :p

Bazarov
11-05-2005, 07:02 PM
I went down to my local radioshak, got myself an adapter. :D Hooked my geetar n' amp up to my computer. And now I think I've got some decent quality recordings. Now I'm just re-recording the riffs and touching up on stuff.

Joe
11-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Then get a drum program and add some drums!! I agree, 98% of songs sound better with drums added.

With what money :(

My friend and I recorded a song the other day, but it's not Metal at all so I'm not sending it in obviously. Any other comments on my song by anyone?

FlyingPaul_83
11-05-2005, 09:02 PM
I went down to my local radioshak, got myself an adapter. :D Hooked my geetar n' amp up to my computer. And now I think I've got some decent quality recordings. Now I'm just re-recording the riffs and touching up on stuff.

what did you buy?

how do you hook up your guitar to your amp to your computer?

I'm a noob at recording :(

To Joe: It's good, but I agree with whoever said that its missing some agressiveness.

Joe
11-05-2005, 09:03 PM
what did you buy?

To Joe: It's good, but I agree with whoever said that its missing some agressiveness.

Ok since my recordings according to a lot of people need drums. Anyone know about a GOOD, SIMPLE, CHEAP drum kit I could buy?

Apocalyptic Raids
11-05-2005, 09:30 PM
See Sodom, Nuclear Assault and Slayer (particularly Angel Of Death) for good thrash breaksdown type things.

Bazarov
11-05-2005, 09:33 PM
what did you buy?

Hah, I'm a n00b to. I just figured it out today, my dad kind of helped. Okay I bought an adapter for 1/4 to 1/8. Hooked it up to one of my cables. Then plugged into the LINE IN thing at the back of my computer tower and my amp. Then plugged my guitar into my amp and recorded with audacity, but switched the thing that says microphone to line-in. And that was it.

FlyingPaul_83
11-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Hah, I'm a n00b to. I just figured it out today, my dad kind of helped. Okay I bought an adapter for 1/4 to 1/8. Hooked it up to one of my cables. Then plugged into the LINE IN thing at the back of my computer tower and my amp. Then plugged my guitar into my amp and recorded with audacity, but switched the thing that says microphone to line-in. And that was it.

so where did you plug in the line in cord to your amp? to the headphone jack?

Toaster
11-05-2005, 10:11 PM
With what money :(

My friend and I recorded a song the other day, but it's not Metal at all so I'm not sending it in obviously. Any other comments on my song by anyone?

Money?? Look up Acoustica Beatcraft on Google. Then download the free trial, for seven days, and in that seven days make all your drum tracks and save them to wav format. Put them onto Audacity (also free), and add your guitar/bass/vocals.

Bazarov
11-05-2005, 10:13 PM
so where did you plug in the line in cord to your amp? to the headphone jack?
Yeah. Sorry about not mentioning that.

FlyingPaul_83
11-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah. Sorry about not mentioning that.

Thanks man :thumb:

Now maybe I'll get some decent recodings.

Rock_Out_Dudes
11-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Has anyone listened to my songs? Can you tell me if they are thrashy enough for this?

Moses
11-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Don't worry, I'm finishing this weekend, then I''ll do vox next week (this tuesday).

Any tips on how to organize this drum stuff?
I have like a million kits, but theres so many toms and cymbals, that they have to be different kits. I'd go by their little number thing, but I'd be organizing them all day.

Maybe getting the real program would help alot?

;) (worth a shot right?)
All you need to do is put the file in the packs folder in the Fruity Loops folder. Then when you open Fruity loops it should be in the packs thing and you can add as many things as you want. The million different things listed in number are because they are all at differnet volumes and you can make it sound more realistic that way.

Darkness
11-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Is it possible to do that with the trial version... It's all I've got..

Joe
11-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Money?? Look up Acoustica Beatcraft on Google. Then download the free trial, for seven days, and in that seven days make all your drum tracks and save them to wav format. Put them onto Audacity (also free), and add your guitar/bass/vocals.

Already have Cubase and my guitar tracks. I've had bad luck with anything downloadable. Any ideas for future recordings? I want to buy something, not just download it. I'll try that out for this recording though.

Moses
11-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Is it possible to do that with the trial version... It's all I've got..
It should be, if not I think Jom uploaded the real version a while back.

Trev
11-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Oh and Postman Pie.. I might just have to take you up on that offer. :thumb:

Awesome. When you're done just upload it or something and I'll have a listen and see what I can do.

You might want to explain what kind of drumming you're hearing in your head, because I don't want to misinterpret your song and ruin it for you, e.g. drum through a part where you wanted it to be guitar only, or something.

crag
11-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I need some opinions if you all don't mind,

which tone do you prefer 1, 2 or 3?

http://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2WCSOKWSXRRTP16XKG59TLFVA7

thanks

Trev
11-07-2005, 11:15 AM
From a non-guitarists point of view, the first one.

Bazarov
11-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Crag, I thought your first tone was better than the others.

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=32UX2FA3UJTY11KENZIIAJ4TTJ

Well there we have it. That is basically what it is going to sound like. I took a user's advice. I forgot which one. But I totally trashed one riff. I dug that riff, but it totally didn't fit the song. It's got some fuzz in the background, I'm hoping I'll be able to remove that. And some parts had a little too much bass. The chorus riff, I don't feel to strongly about, maybe someone can help me out with some suggestions. After I polish it up the riffs, I'll recruit someone who would like to drums.. discuss some ideas I had for drums.

Joe
11-08-2005, 01:59 PM
I need some opinions if you all don't mind,

which tone do you prefer 1, 2 or 3?

http://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2WCSOKWSXRRTP16XKG59TLFVA7

thanks

The first tone was best, but what's wrong with using all three for different things?

Crag, I thought your first tone was better than the others.

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=32UX2FA3UJTY11KENZIIAJ4TTJ

Well there we have it. That is basically what it is going to sound like. I took a user's advice. I forgot which one. But I totally trashed one riff. I dug that riff, but it totally didn't fit the song. It's got some fuzz in the background, I'm hoping I'll be able to remove that. And some parts had a little too much bass. The chorus riff, I don't feel to strongly about, maybe someone can help me out with some suggestions. After I polish it up the riffs, I'll recruit someone who would like to drums.. discuss some ideas I had for drums.

Riffs are good. But yes, similar to mine, it looses some agression without drums. The solo is very staticy. Overall it's pretty cool

killa_bees77
11-08-2005, 11:47 PM
OK, this is the song i would like to submit with vocals a bit later. I just want to know if its fair game for this comp. Thanx

http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0B1QDMFHZQOBJ3SMQSO9WZ0IZ4