PDA

View Full Version : educate me, please

Troy9915
10-25-2005, 05:24 PM
So i've got money to buy a new drumset but I have no frickin clue what to buy. I have a pearl forum so basically the only sets I know about are pearl ones. I need advice on what types of tama, gretsch, mapex, or whatever company to try out when I go to guitar center on the weekend. Also, I need the price range to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of $1,000 to $2,000. My dad, in an effort to get more involved in my drumming has agreed to pay a quarter of the cost of the drumset I choose.

PLEASE DONT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT SONOR. I've heard it all. Please stay away from them in this discussion. Thank you very much.

aznriceball
10-25-2005, 05:27 PM
^ brand whorism?

stuff to try? i would say everything but since u wanna be specific

catalina birch
mapex m birch
mapex pro m
tama starclassic performer
tama superstar
peace paragon
pdp cx
pdp fs

theres more but u will see that in the follow posts

JIRONS
10-25-2005, 05:33 PM
^^^

an_original_name
10-25-2005, 05:38 PM
^^^ thats gota be the most pointless post ever.

if your only buying drums and not hardware or cymbals you could pick up a pearl session studio 4 piece kit for just under $2000US.

Troy9915
10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
I know the cymbals I want and everything it's just the actual drums i'm unsure of. by the way I live in the U.S. so USD.

IronCobra2x
10-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Mapex or Tama all the way man... Mapex Pro M or M Birch would be my choice...

CombatWombat3
10-25-2005, 05:51 PM
I would either suggest the Mapex Pr M, or the PAcfic MX/CX, you can usually find a great deal on the MX/CX's on ebay. Both are all-maple shells, good quality, all around great drumsets. Out of those two, however, I would probably go Pro M.

Pantellica
10-25-2005, 06:00 PM
^ brand whorism?

catalina birch
mapex m birch
mapex pro m
tama superstar
peace paragon
pdp cx
pdp fs

theres more but u will see that in the follow posts:thumb: and dont forget Mapex Saturn--my favorite

CasB
10-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Premier Artist series...you will love them :)

Iskandar
10-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Why not Sonor? Their drums are as good as anyone else's (better than some, actually).

aznriceball
10-25-2005, 06:16 PM
maybe he is considering them, he just doesnt need info on them

sspercussion
10-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Troy:

Check out the pricing over at www.massmusic.net - give a call to the 800 number and ask for Andy. Largest Pearl dealer in the west, and carries Tama, Mapex, DW, Pacific, and Gretsch as well. I found that his prices are quite right...so play a kit at GC and check out that site I mentioned. A shell kit good fix for about 2K is a Pearl Masters, Tama Starclassic, etc. Try to stay away from kits made of Phillipine Mahogany, Poplar, and other inexpensive, un-musical woods. Be careful what is being used as "filler" plies. Try to stay in the single wood types of Birch or Maple for a kit in the 2K range, otherwise you're simply paying way too much for it. Also the size of the kit and your tom sizes can also be a factor. You may want to get a shell kit without the snare, simply put, snares are plentiful on good 'ole Ebay and you can always find a bargain on a sweet snare up there. 90% of my snares are off that forum! Hope this helps....

Troy9915
10-25-2005, 06:41 PM
I've heard so much about sonor on these boards that that and pearl are the 2 companies I most know about. I always consider 3005's simply because they're great drums, I just dont what this thread to turn into Sonor Sonor Sonor Sonor Sonor Sonor post after post.

EDIT: Those Mapex saturns are wicked drums are they have a great price. I've deeply considered them, I heard the walnut lining is great. The finishes are kinda iffy for me, my friend has the green haze/fade type thing and it's pretty dull.

EDIT EDIT: sspercussion i've been lookin at massmusic. You basically stated my plan there. My closest drum retailer is gc so thats why I mentioned it. I;ve chatted with some of those massmusic guys and they help me out a lot. Thanks for the advice.

Bone
10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
You could even think about going custom with some like Conaway.

aznriceball
10-25-2005, 06:50 PM
conaways are sweet

stevoibanez
10-25-2005, 06:52 PM
if your only buying drums and not hardware or cymbals you could pick up a pearl session studio 4 piece kit for just under $2000US
You mean just under 1000.

All the options have been said. But, you can also go custom. Conaway and Phattie are probably the best options in that regard. I am personally saving up for a Phattie, and will place my order probably near the end of the school year. He has amazing edges (double 45 with a 1.5 ply flat spot), and really cheap, but they look amazing.

CombatWombat3
10-25-2005, 07:39 PM

True, a 5-piece Conaway will only run you 1150.....

sspercussion
11-18-2005, 09:04 PM
EDIT EDIT: sspercussion i've been lookin at massmusic. You basically stated my plan there. My closest drum retailer is gc so thats why I mentioned it. I;ve chatted with some of those massmusic guys and they help me out a lot. Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome.... :D they are pretty knowledgable folks, my contact over there is Andy. Glad to be of help...

PremierManiac
11-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Premier Artist series...you will love them :)
Yes.

Ludwig Maple kits are very, very good if you can find one cheap enough.

poppinfresh
11-18-2005, 11:10 PM
ok you have a good amount of money. Go for the gretsch maple renown. Dont go with anything else. Tehy sound incredible and huge and punchy and beautiul. Amazing drums. Everything about them is good. OMG!! Uh i just tried a few and i really liked them. I know of a few people who have purchased it and have been blown away also. Havent heard one bad thing about them.

milkmit
11-18-2005, 11:21 PM
^ brand whorism?

catalina birch
mapex m birch
mapex pro m
tama superstar
peace paragon
pdp cx
pdp fs

theres more but u will see that in the follow posts

^^^^
plus new heads all around....and you'll still have a bunch of money left over for a killer cymbal setup!

...but that's just me being slightly biased.. ;)

RichHunt
11-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Did I hear someone say Yamaha?

Murd_666
11-19-2005, 09:12 AM
if your only buying drums and not hardware or cymbals you could pick up a pearl session studio 4 piece kit for just under $2000US.wow sucks to be you americans, I can a 5 pc. for 1375 Canadian. GO ME!

Jezen
11-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Just get a DW.

If he hasn't got a very vast knowledge on different kinds of drums, then isn't it kind of stupid getting a custom kit?

rockindrummer
11-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Yamaha! Yamaha! They make some amazing kits and if you save up a bit more it will definitly be worth it man. They have great customer service, great hardware, and is just an awsome company overall.

The Ska Man
11-19-2005, 12:26 PM

I'd be cool, because you can pick colors and such. But Conaway's stuff can't touch something like a Ludwig Classic Maple or(my choice, if I were buying a kit) a Premier Artist Heritage.

poppinfresh
11-19-2005, 12:28 PM
http://www.cymbalholic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7970 about the pwnage of gretsch renowns

Half Life
11-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Mapex Saturns or even the flagship professional Orion drums, provided you can find a great deal on them...

Good Deal (http://cgi.ebay.com/Mapex-Orion-Birdseye-Maple-6-pc-Drum-Set-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ7362978958QQcategoryZ38097QQssPageNam eZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

...but that's not very hard :thumb: That guy that is selling that Orion kit also has plenty other great deals so you might want to check them out ;)

mprules
11-19-2005, 02:46 PM
can you get a decent yamah for under $2g?

Carn
11-19-2005, 02:52 PM
There is this German brand which make some nifty drums.

Jezen
11-19-2005, 03:09 PM
^^^^
Basix?

The Ska Man
11-19-2005, 03:40 PM
can you get a decent yamah for under $2g?

Yup. Check out massmusic.com