PDA

View Full Version : Vic Firth Isolation Headphones

Pauly
10-25-2005, 03:51 AM
Hey guys

I'm looking at getting a pair of vic firth isolation headphones, the ones with a headphone jack. Right now I'm using earphones inside earmuffs to listen to a metronome, and its really irritating. I've just got a couple of questions.

Whats the sound quality of vic firth's headphones? (in regards to playing along with music). Are they comfortable? Will they chew the batteries of the metronome?

Any help or additional info is much appreciated. Thanks :)

GuerrillaTime
10-25-2005, 09:31 AM
not super sound quality, but do their job with the isolation so that helps the sound a bit (doesn't need to be loud). I don't think they have any affect on the device they are plugged in to.

Mündo
10-25-2005, 11:22 AM
If you take your drumming seriously...you might want to consider getting the super or ultraphones from gk music http://www.gk-music.com/

i own the ultraphones...and though they're a little sweaty, they're superb sound quality (sony drivers...so nice). I only paid $150 on ebay, but honestly, i would have paid full price...they're awsome quality.

the vic firth ones would work...its just a metronome, but if you want to listen to music or use them as monitors or anything else, you'd want something better quality

Bone
10-25-2005, 11:24 AM
The VF ones work good. There are better, such as the Studio Kan's.

playwithfire
10-25-2005, 02:45 PM
If you want Stereo Isolation I would get Studio Kans.

Matter
10-25-2005, 02:48 PM
I've used the Vic firths for 3 years they just broke on me a few weeks ago so i got the Shure e2c's...If you want great isolation as well as great sounding speakers I recommend you look into these >Shure E2c's< http://www.shurestore.com/earphones/eseries_e2c.html You can buy them at Best Buy if you live in the states for around 89 bucks I believe or even cheaper on EBAY. They are awesome and they don't fatigue my head like wearing those big muffs on your head as well as not having to turn up the speaks so loud because the shures are in ear.

Tma20SC
10-26-2005, 01:58 AM
I just recieved my VF's Stereo Isolation headphones and they make my drumset sound alittle too boomy. I can barely hear the kick when i'm playing along with a cd. But with a met it's awesome!!! Either way the VF's are way better than with any regular headphone.

dpakman91
10-26-2005, 11:50 AM
i have the VF iso earmuffs and also shure ec2's...what i notice is that the ec2's don't give me anywhere CLOSE to as much sound reduction as the VF's...and i mean not even close. so usually, i use the VF's, much more comfortable when practicing at any considerable volume.

Matter
10-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey dpakman are you using the clear and/or orange ear buds...they have better Isolation them the VF's to my ears anyways...not sure about the black ones though.

ThugsRook
10-26-2005, 01:37 PM
i personally will not use ISOs. i think they are horrible and will do more harm then good.

Double Bass Jim
10-26-2005, 03:03 PM
KANS, the best their is IMO.

playwithfire
10-26-2005, 03:55 PM
i personally will not use ISOs. i think they are horrible and will do more harm then good.I find that ridiculous. Any reasoning behind that, or just a random opinion? Personally I find the 22dB reduction of the Vic Firth standard iso's I have more than beneficial. Personally I see 30 dollars from my wallet to prevent tinnitus and permanent hearing damage doing more good than harm.

Double Bass Jim
10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
For sure ^^

I don't understand how you can think that way Thugs, I don't know about you but I want to perserve and keep my hearing at top level so I can enjoy the instrument.

Drum Phil
10-26-2005, 04:03 PM
If i remember Thugs' reasoning makes sense, but not quite enough for me to risk it (especially as i have hearing problems from unprotected live playing)

Cause when you take off the ISO's, your hearing is more sensitive and more prone to damage

playwithfire
10-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah, but when you take your headphones off... you are doing things like talking to people, and watching tv, not crashing cymbals 2 feet from your face. IMO it's bull.

Drum Phil
10-26-2005, 04:11 PM
What if you were using them live? Then you're presenting your ears with loud music (either live or the CD tracks between bands)

Double Bass Jim
10-26-2005, 04:30 PM
There are certain levels where hearing damage will occur. Now to me it's common sense to protect whats most valuable to us musicians... your EARS. Playing drumset and playing live amplifed shows without ear protection is a real killer. Use some common sense and keep your ears in top shape.

If you don't well then thats your own dumb fault.

Drum Phil
10-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Just to reinforce my OWN point, despite thugs making a bit of sense, i do use ear protection because i HAVE damaged my hearing.

ThugsRook
10-26-2005, 04:57 PM
my ears are better then the avg hawk. no damage was ever done to my ears (Dr. checked) and i can guarentee you ive been in louder places then most of you will ever be.

the problems with ISO phones are:
1) you cant hear what you are playing correctly. chances are you sound like poo because of this.... or worse yet, youll get used to it.

2) if you baby your ears too much you risk damage the one time you dont wear them.

things sound different when wearing ISO phones and your ear tries to compinsate for it by focusing on higher pitch sounds it cant hear... so when you take the ISOs off... youre risking damage because you were wearing them.

if you never wear ISOs your ears will get used to it rather quickly and you wont risk anything short of sticking your head infront of 3 marshall stacks ~ of something completely stupid like that.

playing drums, or even being in a typical band will not hurt your ears. i promise :thumb:

viewing a concert is actually much worse for you then being the concert.

:wave:

Matter
10-26-2005, 05:43 PM
^^^Um no... you can hear everything crystal clear with isophones they just take away the high-highs and low-lows that damage your ears...it just turns the "harsh" sounds off. Your theory of them doing more harm than good is rediculous IMO. Maybe if we meet in the future you can teach me sign language so we can communicate since you will be fairly proficiant at it.

-TheGlassPrison-
10-26-2005, 05:49 PM
I cannot play a show, or practice with a band with these things on Matter..

Has anyone noticed if you wear them for a while whilt not drumming your ears start to hurt?

Futuro
10-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Thugs, I am Osha certified and completed 12 hours of training in work safety (For my new job) Most of what you put is wrong.

2) if you baby your ears too much you risk damage the one time you dont wear them. This is false according to "Osha" standards. Little hairs die as they are exposed to sound, Your ears will ring, That is your brain telling you to stop doing what you are doing and let them rest. One loud blast is better for your ears than a constant sound of computer typing.

playing drums, or even being in a typical band will not hurt your ears. i promise I have damaged my hearing just from air tools, so im sure drumming can hurt your hearing.

Cause when you take off the ISO's, your hearing is more sensitive and more prone to damage Yes your ears will be more sensetive. When you take them off loud sound will be destroying them in clusters which will lead your ears to loud ringing. But a constant bashing will destroy them slower, Not as noticeable ringing. Take a guess which is worse...

ThugsRook
10-26-2005, 06:33 PM
well, i hear just fine and my ears never ring.

if you guys wanna wear the things go ahead, im not interested in stopping you. just telling you youre being paranoid and rather silly. but hey whatever.

i should post a pic of my modded Vic headphones :lol:
that should really stir you guys up :cool:

rockindrummer
10-26-2005, 07:03 PM
I would pick up some studio kans over the vf's. Or the shure e2c's like matter has are really good. I've heard many great things about them too.

SonorKen
10-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Studio Kans are great. In-ear is the way to go. I use a Shure PSM200 wireless tranmixer live with Shure E-5 ear buds. Perfect sounds, dual drivers, they are the way to go.

dpakman91
10-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Hey dpakman are you using the clear and/or orange ear buds...they have better Isolation them the VF's to my ears anyways...not sure about the black ones though.

i've tried both interchangeably, the iso headphones just block out so much more

rockindrummer
10-26-2005, 07:10 PM
^ How cheap is that though? I would certainly love to buy some inear monitors but they arn't cheap and i'm poor and to young to work (sorta).

EDIT: To ken.

dpakman91
10-26-2005, 07:13 PM
iv'e talked to ENT (ear nose throat) doctors and audiologists, and none have said anything remorely close to what thugs said. i have to question how thugs would know better then them?

ThugsRook
10-26-2005, 09:33 PM
what im tryin to explain is not medical science, its personal experience.

ten years ago....
for 15 years i played drums practically everyday for hours on end very loudly to CD (headphones) and with bands, onstage, touring, etc. never did i use ISOs cause we didnt give a chit in those days.

for unrelated reasons i had my ears checked and my hearing was BETTER then the avg persons. i told the Doc i was a drummer and he said i had no damage what-so-ever and that my hearing was actually impressive.

i recently tried playing with ISO headphones and i cant stand it. i cant hear my drums correctly and they sound like chit. we all know how uninspiring playing can be when your drums sound like chit right? well the fact is i play better NOT using (what i concider to be) stupid ISO headphones.

maybe its just me. maybe my ears are super strong and can take it. maybe its from years of conditioning. i donno.

we all know how different my view of drums and drumming is from the rest you, so again i wouldnt be surprised one bit if noone agreed with me. actually im kinda liking this no one agreeing with me stuff. it singles me out and keeps me different from the rest of you :D

:wave:

-TheGlassPrison-
10-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Thugs

STFU!!!

Futuro
10-26-2005, 09:38 PM
That's not very nice :-*

-TheGlassPrison-
10-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Inside joke,

Youve been gone for a while ;)

ilu thugs.

ThugsRook
10-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Thugs STFU!!!
http://users.adelphia.net/~d2rook/pics/hide.gif

Starship
10-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Some peoples hearing are better than others, but I really think that the average person will damage your hearing if you constantly play drums without headphones. I tried Studio Kans at a friends, and they were great.

SonorKen
10-26-2005, 10:30 PM
My in-ear system cost about 1000 to 1200 bucks. I recently had my ears cleaned out and a hearing exam and have perfect hearing. I attribute this to always playing with iso phones or my in-ear system.

I have ringing in my ears occasionally when I practice without hearing protection, it usually goes away within a few hours, I have it right now as we speak.

What amazes me is that when I am ending a show, I'll take my in-ears out the last 20 seconds of the last song of the show just to hear the stage sound. It always amazes me how loud it is.

Double Bass Jim
10-26-2005, 11:39 PM
It always amazes me how loud it is.
Just think of the damage without protection.. YIKES.

playwithfire
10-26-2005, 11:40 PM
^Yeah, it's major. Ask Pete Townshend how bad loud concerts are for your hearing whether you're the performer or part of the audience...

ThugsRook
10-27-2005, 12:33 AM
^Yeah, it's major. Ask Pete Townshend how bad loud concerts are for your hearing whether you're the performer or part of the audience...
oh comon, pete townsend was rediculiously loud. he admits it. he didnt need to be nearly THAT loud to actually play. thats one of those comon sense things, dont use 5 marshall stacks blasting on 10 and stand directly in front of them. 1 yea, not 5.

playwithfire
10-27-2005, 03:13 AM
Start playing massive gigs, and see if a single marshall will cut it. It won't. In a half decent club you're better off having 2 cabs.

I admit, Pete Townshend is an extreme example, but there are tons of musicians who lose hearing and think their hearing is fantastic. A lot of people don't realize that even if you don't really feel it right now, later in life the change is more drastic and you lose your hearing more and more easily.

crolfe1
10-27-2005, 03:19 AM
HEARo's
10 bucks
50 pair
Really cuts back those not so good vibrations.

raz0r
10-27-2005, 04:39 AM
I have the Sennheiser HD212 Pro, and they rock.
The sound quality is amazing, and they do a damn good job of keeping out the sound too.

Drum Phil
10-27-2005, 04:53 AM
Start playing massive gigs, and see if a single marshall will cut it. It won't. In a half decent club you're better off having 2 cabs.

Thats bull****! Rancid played an arena in germany with ONE marshall cab! So long as its mic'd up it doesnt really matter how many cabs you have

ThugsRook
10-27-2005, 09:40 AM
you do realize that when playing onstage (fully miced, etc) you cant hear the PA system at all?

onstage youll mostly hear your drums, as usual ;)
so in reality (w/o any stupidity) playing live is no louder then your drums are.

xeonman9000
10-27-2005, 01:36 PM
playing drums, or even being in a typical band will not hurt your ears. i promise :thumb:
You sure? Ask Iron Maiden.:lol:

playwithfire
10-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Thats bull****! Rancid played an arena in germany with ONE marshall cab! So long as its mic'd up it doesnt really matter how many cabs you haveAnd Rancid is such an amazing band that knows about *eeeeverything*. Micing it up... is practically the same as having more cabs, it all depends what you want.

you do realize that when playing onstage (fully miced, etc) you cant hear the PA system at all?

onstage youll mostly hear your drums, as usual ;)
so in reality (w/o any stupidity) playing live is no louder then your drums are.You'll mostly hear your drums, which, when playing without hearing protection, are damaging your hearing.

ThugsRook
10-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Micing it up... is practically the same as having more cabs
no its not, not even close to the same thing what-so-ever.

You'll mostly hear your drums, which, when playing without hearing protection, are damaging your hearing.
ive already explained this ~ over 15 years of playing w/o ISOs and i have no damage at all. MOF my hearing is better then avg.

this may not be true for everybody but i must repeat myself ~ you guys are way too paranoid.

playwithfire
10-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Maybe you're just one in a million with over-the-top indestructible eardrums. :rolleyes:. The rest of us aren't so lucky ;).

SonorKen
10-27-2005, 10:40 PM
no its not, not even close to the same thing what-so-ever.

ive already explained this ~ over 15 years of playing w/o ISOs and i have no damage at all. MOF my hearing is better then avg.

this may not be true for everybody but i must repeat myself ~ you guys are way too paranoid.
Ok, Im asking you this nicely. Quit advising people to not wear hearing protection. If you don't want to fine, don't try to make people feel inferior or stupid or paranoid because they wish to preserve their hearing.

Every Audiologist in the world is wrong, and you are right.

Remember, I asked you nicely, next time Im not going to be nice about this. I am in the health care field and have been a musician for quite a long time, longer than you. I know about tinnitus and have seen several musicians quit playing because of hearing damage. Pete Townsend is a perfect example.

When you come on and spew this garbage about you don't need hearing protection your making yourself look like an idiot.

-TheGlassPrison-
10-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Thats bull****! Rancid played an arena in germany with ONE marshall cab! So long as its mic'd up it doesnt really matter how many cabs you have

Thats because its Rancid.
There was probaly 5 people there.

Double Bass Jim
10-27-2005, 11:50 PM
4 if you don't count the security gaurd.

Tim
10-27-2005, 11:54 PM
i really need to get some hearing protection soon. dont want to be screwed over in the long run

rockindrummer
10-27-2005, 11:57 PM
^ haha nice one jim.

Bone
10-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Ok, Im asking you this nicely. Quit advising people to not wear hearing protection. If you don't want to fine, don't try to make people feel inferior or stupid or paranoid because they wish to preserve their hearing.

Remember, I asked you nicely, next time Im not going to be nice about this. I am in the health care field and have been a musician for quite a long time, longer than you. I know about tinnitus and have seen several musicians quit playing because of hearing damage. Pete Townsend is a perfect example.

When you come on and spew this garbage about you don't need hearing protection your making yourself look like an idiot.

Well put.

ThugsRook
10-28-2005, 08:52 AM

yessir

Matter
10-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Have you tried leaping over biuldings in a single bound???...or running faster than a speeding bullet??? heh J/K but hey man if your hearing is still good you should want to take care of it. I do believe they have different levels of Iso-ear plugs if you still like it loud they can shave from just a few decibals off to like 30. BTW I'm in FL to...well I'm moving soon I'm sick of these dang hurricanes I'm moving to the mountains.

ThugsRook
10-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Have you tried leaping over biuldings in a single bound???...or running faster than a speeding bullet??? heh J/K but hey man if your hearing is still good you should want to take care of it. I do believe they have different levels of Iso-ear plugs if you still like it loud they can shave from just a few decibals off to like 30. BTW I'm in FL to...well I'm moving soon I'm sick of these dang hurricanes I'm moving to the mountains.
i never tried, altho i can run very fast :lol:

i appreciate your concern, but i wont use ISOs. i already perminately modded my VF headphones so i can hear my drums cleanly and thats the way i like it. then again i dont wear seatbelts or helmets and i smoke a pack a day... and thats the way i like it ;) :thumb:

im outta here too. i own 5 acres in the tennessee mountains, ill be moving there after my daughter graduates high school. i have about $10k in damages from Wilma :upset: whats left of my city is a complete disaster area.

-TheGlassPrison-
10-28-2005, 04:27 PM
how come jim got a nice one but i didnt.

:(

playwithfire
10-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Let's just say, that since Jimbo played his nice one off of yours, it's assumed everyone knows your post was a good one haha ;).

Futuro
10-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Have you tried leaping over biuldings in a single bound???...or running faster than a speeding bullet??? heh J/K but hey man if your hearing is still good you should want to take care of it. I do believe they have different levels of Iso-ear plugs if you still like it loud they can shave from just a few decibals off to like 30. BTW I'm in FL to...well I'm moving soon I'm sick of these dang hurricanes I'm moving to the mountains. Yeah I don't blame you man :upset: These hurricanes are getting annoying.