PDA

View Full Version : The Scene

Permanent Solution
10-24-2005, 11:54 PM
I thought about putting this in Punk and/or Hardcore, but I decided that at the core it would be best received here. I may repost it in another forum after I see how discussion goes here.

So, this is where I rant about the state of the scene, basically. I personally hate the modern day scene. I believe children coming into it have corrupted the nature of the scene and basically changed the meaning entirely in an entirely bad way.

The scene used to be a collection of diverse people united by their love of music, their choice of lifestyle and their beliefs. It didn't matter what you looked like, or what your social status was, everyone was friendly to one another and there was a sense of unity among all members of the scene.

Now that has been flipped around almost 180 degrees. It doesn't matter what you believe, and frankly most people don't even believe in anything. You don't have to like the music anymore, you just have to look like everyone else. The unity of ideals and the love of music is gone, to be replaced with a unity of appearances and in my experience, love of acting like a complete douche.

I've been to several shows where I overhear scenesters admitting they don't like the band that's playing, or don't even know who's playing. I love the band I'm coming to see, and they're coming to see a band to preserve their image. I can't unify myself with that.

Since when should appearance even matter? Who cares what you look like? An individual isn't made by what he looks like, an individual is made by how he thinks. The scene used to be full of individuals, sure they all loved the music, and shared ideals, but they didn't share ideals because the scene supported those ideals, they supported them because they believed in them.

Most kids in the scene nowadays aren't even old enough to care. Sure they jump on the anti-Bush bandwagon, but they really haven't even thought about it. Everyone in the scene now just conforms to non-conformity. Breaking the mold in the exact same way every other scenester does, listening to (or claiming to at least) the exact same bands, getting a crappy haircut, dying their hair, throwing on random mismatched clothing, and none of it matters. Who cares about any of that?

I personally cannot identify with the scene anymore. I can't stand the people I am sharing audience space with, I wish I felt a unity like I used to be able to, but now the only unity is a false one generated by people looking the same and acting the same. The anti-thesis of what the scene used to represent. At one time the scene was unified diversity, and now the scene is simply fake, on-the-surface unity.

Well, that's not entirely true. The scene is now socially united, it's full of privileged middle class suburban children looking for an identity and then stealing this one because it's convenient. There was a time when the poor and middle classes mixed in the scene. Now that you can only be part of the scene if you shop at Hot Topic the poorer classes have been thrust from the scene.

Anyways I'm ranting enough, my question to you is, how do you feel about this? Do you feel like you're part of the scene? DO you think it has changed for better or worse? Do you remember the scene before it became all about image? Anything else you want to discuss is welcome too.

Excursions
10-25-2005, 12:06 AM
tl;dr

I used fancy mx talk. Honestly I hate the word scene. People always say the hardcore scene this the indie scene that. I think it's a load of bull****. Maybe back in the day when there was a group of people making new music and exploring and creating new music like the early DC heads like Ian Mackaye and Henry Rollins. Other than that I am not part of a scene and no one is in my opinion. Sure people listen to music, go to the local show, wank over the local bands but I don't think that makes you part of a scene, just a fan of music.

PDWAB
10-25-2005, 12:11 AM
The scene used to be a collection of diverse people united by their love of music, their choice of lifestyle and their beliefs. It didn't matter what you looked like, or what your social status was, everyone was friendly to one another and there was a sense of unity among all members of the scene.

Do you personally remember this? Because I sure don't.

Honestly as far as I can tell, every musical movement's just been a sham because deep down you're never going to admit that people like music in the same way you do, or as much as you do.

Also, something I've noticed is that every music fan is a complete faggot, so generally I try not to associate with them anyways and just do my own thang, it's a lot easier.

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 12:18 AM
tl;dr

I used fancy mx talk. Honestly I hate the word scene. People always say the hardcore scene this the indie scene that. I think it's a load of bull****. Maybe back in the day when there was a group of people making new music and exploring and creating new music like the early DC heads like Ian Mackaye and Henry Rollins. Other than that I am not part of a scene and no one is in my opinion. Sure people listen to music, go to the local show, wank over the local bands but I don't think that makes you part of a scene, just a fan of music.
I use scene to mean the trendy "myspace" scene if that wasn't obvious. But why does not sharing a love of a certain type of music make you part of a scene? Sure you can divorce yourself from it, but the opportunity is there as well.
Do you personally remember this? Because I sure don't.

Honestly as far as I can tell, every musical movement's just been a sham because deep down you're never going to admit that people like music in the same way you do, or as much as you do.

Also, something I've noticed is that every music fan is a complete faggot, so generally I try not to associate with them anyways and just do my own thang, it's a lot easier.
I do. I still experience it to a degree. I work with/have in the past worked with many musicians who are unified through their love of music and share the same political ideologies etc. In fact the scene I was familiar with through my job was one of the most diverse, but unified I've ever had the luck to be part of.

There's a difference between not wanting to admit people like music as much as you, and people outright saying they don't like the band they're paying money to see.

That's just because you listen to bad music dear :-*

PDWAB
10-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I do. I still experience it to a degree. I work with/have in the past worked with many musicians who are unified through their love of music and share the same political ideologies etc. In fact the scene I was familiar with through my job was one of the most diverse, but unified I've ever had the luck to be part of.

There's a difference between not wanting to admit people like music as much as you, and people outright saying they don't like the band they're paying money to see.

That's just because you listen to bad music dear :-*

That's interesting because as far as I've been able to tell most scenes that combine music with actual progress and political idealism just result in a whole bunch of bullshit from people that don't really know what they're talking about. Again, that's just what studying the various countercultures in the 60s and 70s said to me, so your own experience might be a little different.

People just like hanging out, and all ages shows are pretty decent for that. It's their money, not yours.

Mr. "I like everything as long as it's rock" strikes again!

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 12:34 AM
That's interesting because as far as I've been able to tell most scenes that combine music with actual progress and political idealism just result in a whole bunch of bullshit from people that don't really know what they're talking about. Again, that's just what studying the various countercultures in the 60s and 70s said to me, so your own experience might be a little different.

People just like hanging out, and all ages shows are pretty decent for that. It's their money, not yours.

Mr. "I like everything as long as it's rock" strikes again!
What about the original Punk culture? Hippies started out well but as soon as it became a large trend that problem plagued the movement. I think that's common to any movement though. Once it becomes large enough, people don't know what they're fighting for.

I just have an aversion to spending time listening to music I love, while the kid next to me hates the band and is only there because his friends are going to be there.

/me puts on some Schubert to spite you

PDWAB
10-25-2005, 12:46 AM
What about the original Punk culture? Hippies started out well but as soon as it became a large trend that problem plagued the movement. I think that's common to any movement though. Once it becomes large enough, people don't know what they're fighting for.

I just have an aversion to spending time listening to music I love, while the kid next to me hates the band and is only there because his friends are going to be there.

/me puts on some Schubert to spite you

What about the original Punk culture? The earliest parts of it were just people trying to play rock and roll, they weren't trying to change the world. As soon as it moved past that it became a sham. The hippies were full of it too, they only thought they were smart because they used so many drugs.

Eh, that's life. I honestly wouldn't let it bother me, because it's honestly not that big of a deal.

Well well well, if it isn't Mr. "I have some classical stuff so I can pretend to like it and discuss the virtures of the Romantic period and sound smart"

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 12:59 AM
What about the original Punk culture? The earliest parts of it were just people trying to play rock and roll, they weren't trying to change the world. As soon as it moved past that it became a sham. The hippies were full of it too, they only thought they were smart because they used so many drugs.

Eh, that's life. I honestly wouldn't let it bother me, because it's honestly not that big of a deal.

Well well well, if it isn't Mr. "I have some classical stuff so I can pretend to like it and discuss the virtures of the Romantic period and sound smart"
Exactly. It's not about trying to change anything, it's about just being yourself. Nowadays that sense of individual is what has died. Back then they did what they want, and sometimes it meshed with what other people were doing and sometimes it didn't. The only progressive idea being pushed forward was the individual ideology, but it was the most important one.

To you :p I don't know, shows aren't as fun if everyone doesn't dig the music, you know?

I do like Classical :-\ I actually prefer the Baroque I think, but I don't recal what era it all is, I just put on what I like. I could also put on some Flamenco if that suits you better. Incredible music. :)

PDWAB
10-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Exactly. It's not about trying to change anything, it's about just being yourself. Nowadays that sense of individual is what has died. Back then they did what they want, and sometimes it meshed with what other people were doing and sometimes it didn't. The only progressive idea being pushed forward was the individual ideology, but it was the most important one.

To you :p I don't know, shows aren't as fun if everyone doesn't dig the music, you know?

I do like Classical :-\ I actually prefer the Baroque I think, but I don't recal what era it all is, I just put on what I like. I could also put on some Flamenco if that suits you better. Incredible music. :)

If the individual is so important, then what's the point of the scene?

It's true, the best shows are when everyone is enjoying the music, but that doesn't always happen. Make a thread about it... whoops.

See now you're just trying too hard.

Also this thread looks hella schizophrenic.

Excursions
10-25-2005, 01:02 AM
People bash me here for liking the music I like, to no fault of my own.

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 01:06 AM
If the individual is so important, then what's the point of the scene?

It's true, the best shows are when everyone is enjoying the music, but that doesn't always happen. Make a thread about it... whoops.

See now you're just trying too hard.

Also this thread looks hella schizophrenic.
Finding other individuals like yourself. The point is to get to where you want to be, and then find other people you connect with.

*shrug* Close it if you dont think it's providing good discussion. I mainly made it because I'm in a bad mood so I wanted something to debate, I'm not going to lie. :)

I can't win :(

I know, change your avatar nub :-\

Adam: Which music? Most of the time when I make fun it's joking, I hope you know that :-\

PDWAB
10-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Eh, I don't care. I'd like to see what other people think, I am kind of a jerk about these things anyways because I really can't stand music fans.

Excursions
10-25-2005, 01:09 AM
People seem to have a problem with me liking Kelly Clarkson and having a Black Flag avatar.

Vince: Not you.

Independent_CA
10-25-2005, 01:22 AM
Hell fucking yeah PDWAB. I'm only 20 and I see what you're seeing. However I still think there's hope. I just went to Fall Fest yesterday to see Bad Religion headline, and while there were a lot of stupid people, by the end of the day it was the true, unified diehards for the mostpart that were left. I totally agree with what you said. I'll probably post my own rant later when I have more time.

Untitled
10-25-2005, 03:09 AM
I didnt read the majority of that, i will later, bu i must say i do realy hate the scene atm. Well the kids, some of the bands are ok i guess.

Kif
10-25-2005, 10:05 AM
I've gotten so sick of hearing about the scene I just don't notice it anymore, like Hollywood movies and Big Brother. It just flies by me.

People complaining about dress codes, discussing the number of Myspace comments they got for their latest picture and how they "stole someone's comment virginity". It's ridiculous sometimes, and has gotten to the point where the scene is just a group of people who decide on incoming trends and music for everyone else to love.

I think one reason for this however is the over-exposure of talentless bands. OK, talentless might be a bit harsh, but unoriginal definately. Purevolume and Myspace have opened the window for homegrown bands to advertise, even though a lot just sound like their favourite bands. I do it, my music sounds similar to bands. Not necessarily my favourite ones, but bands that inspire me to write music, their traits are certainly in the music I write.

And of course, it's the bands that set these fashions. You get bands like My American Heart, Funeral For A Friend, Bullet For My Valentine, Senses Fail. They all look similar, with black band tees/clothing company tees with pictures of bleeding hearts and whatnot. Tight jeans and Converse shoes.

Like I said, I don't like discussing the scene because to me it's pretty non-existent. I listen to music I love, dress how I want to dress and act like I want to act. Of course, it's not completely my own because we are all influenced by the media and things like websites, our friends telling us about bands and stuff. I think that's the reason I don't like talking about the scene, because I don't want to get sucked into a lifestyle I don't want to live in.

albert_bass
10-25-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't care about the "scene". I don't even know if there's a scene, all I know is I go to the shows I want, just because it's good fun.

And if I go to a show I might not love it's because a friend asked me to go with him and because even if I don't love it I like to dance to da music.

Oz Rembrandt
10-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Its true, when I started into "The Scene", there was about 12 of us in my area, and none of us looked the same as eachother let alone the other kids. Now I walk around, and being "Different" or "Alternative", is the new cool thing, and if everyones doing it, how can it be different?

I gave up caring a long time ago. I still wear the clothes I always wore, I continue to like the bands I liked before half these kids could even spell. It dosn't bother me anymore.

Untitled
10-25-2005, 11:34 AM
I don't care about the "scene". I don't even know if there's a scene, all I know is I go to the shows I want, just because it's good fun.

And if I go to a show I might not love it's because a friend asked me to go with him and because even if I don't love it I like to dance to da music.
If you want to see the scene in all its wrath, go to the millenium gardens in manchester, on a saterday, AKA, THE UBRIS!!

I know its a bit of a treck for you.

Angry Balled Fists!
10-25-2005, 11:35 AM
There is no scene here.

Well, kinda but they are all gay and i don't mix with them really...

Kif
10-25-2005, 11:40 AM
In the end it's just a craze (I'm not saying fad, it's a stupid word). There was that skater craze that hit a while back, and accompanying that was the goth craze. Both are pretty extinct now, so all we have to do is wait for these bands to go out of fashion.

Untitled
10-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Id rather have a skater craze, after all, people look a whole lot hotter like that, insted of everyone in stupid tight shirts and pants, and stupid hair cuts. One of the reasons im dying my hair brown is cause im sick to the back teeth of being called scene.

Kif
10-25-2005, 11:47 AM
I've been called emo and scene quite a bit, but only from people who I know and try to bunch me into the group, and because of my FOB "You are SO scene" shirt.

I don't mind that much, but it bugs me when people call themselves scene or emo, especially if they are my friends. I don't feel like explaining with emo is to people who believe Bullet For My Valentine is hardcore.

Arucard
10-25-2005, 12:39 PM
I agree with everything said. It seems the heart of the music scene in general these days is hating George Bush and wearing tight trousers.

I'm not gonna lie, i wear drainpipes. Why? Because i like them. I don't hand around with stereotypical emo people, i don't go to scene gigs when i don't even know the band, i try to listen to everything.

I think that one exception of the whole scene thing is in extreme metal of some kinds. I went to an Arcturus show and met so many people, it was so cool.

Kif
10-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Soon it's going to get to the stage where I go to gigs just for the support bands. God knows The Fall Of Troy are the only reason I will sit through Fear Before The March Of Flames.

Untitled
10-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Soon it's going to get to the stage where I go to gigs just for the support bands. God knows The Fall Of Troy are the only reason I will sit through Fear Before The March Of Flames.
Ive done that before, im going P!ATD to see TAI...

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 12:47 PM
I went to an MCR show to see Alk3 :-\

We left in the middle of MCR's set.

Arucard
10-25-2005, 12:48 PM
I go to loads of punk shows to see bands like Freaks Union and SMP support.

Firecracker
10-25-2005, 12:54 PM
I agree with everything you say, it's annoying to get to school and people telling me i'm a metal head because i appeared it. I mean 'what', 1. i dont. 2. i like prog metal, nothing to do with all the other crap that's around. 3. you're an idiot.

There are too many people judging these days, judging on first impressions, not caring about what they believe and want inside, it's all about the appearance, looking cool if you hang around with people who look cool. I resent all this.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 01:07 PM
I've been to several shows where I overhear scenesters admitting they don't like the band that's playing, or don't even know who's playing. I love the band I'm coming to see, and they're coming to see a band to preserve their image. I can't unify myself with that.

You can't gripe about this. It's perfectly valid, regardless of who you are.

The first gig I ever went to was Boxcar Racer/New Found Glory/Throne.

I had idea who the **** Throne was. I didn't particularly like them either, they didn't even have a bassist. I told my sister this, outloud, during the show. Does that mean a I'm a horrible scene child destroying all that you know and love? No, it means that I don't know the band that's playing.

Did you know that some people enjoy going to shows? You don't have to know a band to enjoy a show, and just because you ended up not enjoying the band doesn't mean you're a bad person. I walked around at Warped Tour last year and when I saw a band I'd never heard of, I'd go over and listen.

I like to listen to new music. I may not end up liking it, but for 12$ I'll check out 4 new bands.

-

There is no scene where I live. There are two stereotypical psuedo-scene kids, though. One silly fake goth chick who calls herself mature all the time, and listens to MCR and Atreyu. Another is a self-proclaimed emo kid who loves Death Cab For Cutie. He knows who Rites Of Spring are, so I talk **** about him though.

And then there's me. I listen to heavy **** at school, and moderate-to-light stuff at home. That's how I roll. No one cares.

(I don't have much to add to this discussion :( )

Firecracker
10-25-2005, 01:26 PM
There are loads of people i know, who claim they like a certain type of music, yet they only like for example one commercialised band of that genre, and probably loads of other bands, of different genres, that they've only heard on the radio, and they have ipods and they think they're the best music fans.

There's nothing wrong with liking different genres, of course not, because having a diverse taste in music is better than being a narrowminded faggot. But if you're going to harp on about a specific genre, at least have the decency to check out different bands of that genre, the bands that are probably much better than the ones they listen to already. And i know they do have the facilities to do it, but they just don't, because they're a bunch of posers. One of them actually asked me to tell her how to look more emo, i slapped her round the face of course.

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 01:42 PM
You can't gripe about this. It's perfectly valid, regardless of who you are.

There's a difference between not knowing a band, and actively disliking them.

"Who is playing this show?"
"Such and such bands"
"Oh, man they suck."

I've been to shows with conversations almost exactly like that.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 01:42 PM
There are loads of people i know, who claim they like a certain type of music, yet they only like for example one commercialised band of that genre, and probably loads of other bands, of different genres, that they've only heard on the radio, and they have ipods and they think they're the best music fans.

There's nothing wrong with liking different genres, of course not, because having a diverse taste in music is better than being a narrowminded large bundle of sticks. But if you're going to harp on about a specific genre, at least have the decency to check out different bands of that genre, the bands that are probably much better than the ones they listen to already. And i know they do have the facilities to do it, but they just don't, because they're a bunch of posers. One of them actually asked me to tell her how to look more emo, i slapped her round the face of course.

Why should they? If they aren't doing it, it's obviously because they don't want to. Why does it matter to you if people say they like a genre yet they only like a few bands?

To make them seem cool to you?

Here's how it's become:

There's the mainstream people. Watch MTV, listen to pop music and what not, etc.

Then there's the scene kids. These are the non conformist people who are all the same. The one's we're bitching about now.

And then there's a uber scene kids. Us. The kids bitching about the scene kids not being scene enough, not liking enough music in a certain genre, not doing the things at shows that we'd like them to, or buying into fads and what not. Couldn't this be considered how the scene kids treat mainstream people?

That's all we are, just another group. No better, no worse. Stop your bitching, everyone.

-

And for the record, I love ska, I just don't listen to much of it. Just Big D and Bandits Of The Acoustic Revolution, generally. Although I'll skank out to Keasby Nights every so often.

There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Angry Balled Fists!
10-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Jons the daddy.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 01:45 PM
There's a difference between not knowing a band, and actively disliking them.

"Who is playing this show?"
"Such and such bands"
"Oh, man they suck."

I've been to shows with conversations almost exactly like that.

So what? It's good for the band - they get paid whether people enjoy them or not. I'd rather a band prosper because people are stupid than a band suffer because it pisses you off to overhear someone's conversation.

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 01:50 PM
So what? It's good for the band - they get paid whether people enjoy them or not. I'd rather a band prosper because people are stupid than a band suffer because it pisses you off to overhear someone's conversation.
Usually that's how I think of it, but I'm prone to bouts of anger at it all. (For instance this thread) Either way, I'm allowed to be mad so quiet nig :mad:

(:-*)

Mute Print
10-25-2005, 01:52 PM
The music scene has for the most part become more about the fashion than the music, and that really sucks.

A lot of these kids who dress the part and don't know the music are the same ones who go to shows and really don't know what they're doing. They're the ones who have no pit etiquette, and who truly serve no positive purpose in the scene. It gets kind of annoying after a while.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 01:54 PM
I think I'm the only person ever who goes to shows just for music.

I avoid the pit as much as possible. I don't want to worry about being punched the face, or even unintentionally getting pushed while I'll I'm trying to enjoy music.

Untitled
10-25-2005, 01:57 PM
I think I'm the only person ever who goes to shows just for music.

I avoid the pit as much as possible. I don't want to worry about being punched the face, or even unintentionally getting pushed while I'll I'm trying to enjoy music.
I think you'll find, that me and my mates just stant at the back of the pit and listens to the music, im sure kif can vouce for me on this because he walked past me doing such a think, I think.

Kif
10-25-2005, 01:58 PM
I've seen plenty of bands I don't like at shows, and a few of those I've spent at the back because I don't feel like volunterily getting my lungs collapsed against the railing and a few hundred kids. Jimmy Eat World was a good example. My friend was in the pit, right near the front, and I was at the back enjoying the show with a drink. You can't really mosh to Jimmy Eat World, so I thought I'd enjoy listening to it from the back.

It depends on the band. I'm going to Taste Of Chaos for Reggie And The Full Effect. That's it. But I'll gladly watch the other bands, maybe get into the pit for one if they are good live.
I think you'll find, that me and my mates just stant at the back of the pit and listens to the music, im sure kif can vouce for me on this because he walked past me doing such a think, I think.
Yeah I think I saw you, I'm not sure. I don't even know if I know what you look like. Either way, I hung out at the back for Pennywise near the end. "Bro Hymn" was mental that night, and the pit was just insane.

Untitled
10-25-2005, 02:01 PM
I was lent agianst the barrier around the sound decks.

Kif
10-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Oh then I definately would have seen you, since I was for about half the gig as well.

Untitled
10-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Im, im almost certian you or one of your mates stood on my foot, and apparently adam said to me "theres kif" but i didnt here.

Anyway, i point is proven, i go to gigs for the music, not the pit. Last pit i was in i nearly threw up on my best mate.

Kif
10-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Im, im almost certian you or one of your mates stood on my foot, and apparently adam said to me "theres kif" but i didnt here.

Anyway, i point is proven, i go to gigs for the music, not the pit. Last pit i was in i nearly threw up on my best mate.
Don't get me wrong, I love getting up against the railings to get right up close to bands. It's part of the experience of seeing them live, to actually see the band and get up close. But half the time I just can't be arsed to fight to get there, and I just watch them where I won't get elbowed or kicked for the next hour.

I remember my first gig, it was for Muse, and I threw up in the bathrooms. Good times

Dead Star
10-25-2005, 02:09 PM
When I went to see the Offspring, my lift in was early as hell, and I was there for the doors opening, so i was right at the barrier, and the amount of pushing and charging towards me was annoying as fuck. And the amount of people younger than me trying to start pits around us was pissingme off too.

Angry Balled Fists!
10-25-2005, 02:11 PM
I've been to one local gig and the pit was just a big fight, literally, only about 20 people at most in it fighting...

Kif
10-25-2005, 02:13 PM
When I went to see the Offspring, my lift in was early as hell, and I was there for the doors opening, so i was right at the barrier, and the amount of pushing and charging towards me was annoying as fuck. And the amount of people younger than me trying to start pits around us was pissingme off too.
I think it's funny when small kids try to start fight pits surrounded by people bigger than them. I'd be tempted to just give him a shot to the face, but that's kind of mean. Plus you'd probably be told to leave the pit.

Untitled
10-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love getting up against the railings to get right up close to bands. It's part of the experience of seeing them live, to actually see the band and get up close. But half the time I just can't be arsed to fight to get there, and I just watch them where I won't get elbowed or kicked for the next hour.

I remember my first gig, it was for Muse, and I threw up in the bathrooms. Good times
I know how you feel, at greenday and stereophonics i was at the barrier and i wasnt crushed, i could actully spin around in a circle i had so much room, and it was amazing seeing them right in front of you. But at the ordinary boys agian i was at the front, right in front of preston, and i kept geting pushed, and stuff, i litterly was graping hold of my mate all night to keep me and her up, there was people landing on my head, and also i lost my hat, and my glasses were knocked off, but i manged to catch them luckly these are expensive, i found my hat at the end. But i was so pissed off i moved to the back 3 songs to the end, i wen tto buy a drink, and they played seaside, my favorite OB song ever, and i missed the majority of it. And thus, on the way home i was pissed off, kicked a lamposts and put a HUGE hole in my pants.

Kif
10-25-2005, 02:18 PM
I know how you feel, at greenday and stereophonics i was at the barrier and i wasnt crushed, i could actully spin around in a circle i had so much room, and it was amazing seeing them right in front of you. But at the ordinary boys agian i was at the front, right in front of preston, and i kept geting pushed, and stuff, i litterly was graping hold of my mate all night to keep me and her up, there was people landing on my head, and also i lost my hat, and my glasses were knocked off, but i manged to catch them luckly these are expensive, i found my hat at the end. But i was so pissed off i moved to the back 3 songs to the end, i wen tto buy a drink, and they played seaside, my favorite OB song ever, and i missed the majority of it. And thus, on the way home i was pissed off, kicked a lamposts and put a HUGE hole in my pants.
OK, the last part I don't quite get, but the rest I can relate to. I've lost a shoe at a gig before (Turned up later throughout the night somehow), and I've been knocked over twice I think. I hate those times when a group of people will shove one way, and then everyone else feels they have to shove back, so everyone ends up falling over.

Untitled
10-25-2005, 02:19 PM
i was just moaning about how i ruined my pants because the pit pissed me off and how i missed my favorite song.

Dead Star
10-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Usually if there are older people in the pit (20-30) you don't get as much little people annoying you. Once I lost a shoe, so this guy pushed everyone out the way so I could get it back, People like that are awesome.

Firecracker
10-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Why should they? If they aren't doing it, it's obviously because they don't want to. Why does it matter to you if people say they like a genre yet they only like a few bands?

To make them seem cool to you?
Someone asked me why the hell i was listening to Alkaline Trio.
They my friend pointed out that i showed the band to her, she showed the band to someone else, who showed them to the person who was talking to me.

I don't appreciate people speaking like that to me, when they have no idea.

albert_bass
10-25-2005, 02:57 PM
If you want to see the scene in all its wrath, go to the millenium gardens in manchester, on a saterday, AKA, THE UBRIS!!

I know its a bit of a treck for you.

Do not worry... I'll be there someday!

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Someone asked me why the hell i was listening to Alkaline Trio.
They my friend pointed out that i showed the band to her, she showed the band to someone else, who showed them to the person who was talking to me.

I don't appreciate people speaking like that to me, when they have no idea.

To be honest, I have no idea what the hell you just said :smoke:

Firecracker
10-25-2005, 02:59 PM
To be honest, I have no idea what the hell you just said :smoke:
Grand.

There is no scene where i live, very few music fans.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Grand.

There is no scene where i live, very few music fans.

A lot of fans of music here...just not good music.

A lot of classic rock and nu-metal.

B
10-25-2005, 03:08 PM
There is no scene where I live. There are two stereotypical psuedo-scene kids, though. One silly fake goth chick who calls herself mature all the time, and listens to MCR and Atreyu. Another is a self-proclaimed emo kid who loves Death Cab For Cutie. He knows who Rites Of Spring are, so I talk **** about him though.

And then there's me. I listen to heavy **** at school, and moderate-to-light stuff at home. That's how I roll. No one cares.

*(I don't have much to add to this discussion :( )
This is how my town is too. There are a few real punk kids, and a few goth type kids that listen to Marilyn Manson as well but that's it. I'm considered the emo kid of my year by most people, which is true I guess, I'm probably the closest person to it at my school.

Firecracker
10-25-2005, 03:13 PM
A lot of fans of music here...just not good music.

A lot of classic rock and nu-metal.
Exactly.
Well, here it's either ska, metal (metallica) or nothing.

B
10-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Exactly.
Here it's classic rock and metal and that's it. There's a lot of people here that think bands like Ac/Dc and Metallica are the best and most talented bands ever. Even my music teachers favourite band is Metallica, she's full of suprises.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Exactly.
Ska is real cool though.

No one can complain about ska fans. Nicest people you'll ever see.

Mute Print
10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Ska is awesome. I wish there was more of a ska scene around here, and less of a nu metal scene.

Firecracker
10-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Ska is real cool though.

My best friend is indeed a ska fan.
There are just no pop-punk fans.
My bf is the only prog metal fan i know.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 03:35 PM
My best friend is indeed a ska fan.
There are just no pop-punk fans.

Pop-punk and ska are close enough, nowadays.

Firecracker
10-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Pop-punk and ska are close enough, nowadays.
They are kinda close, but i'm being picky here. :p

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 03:40 PM
They are kinda close, but i'm being picky here. :p

I find that pop-punk is a difficult genre to peg on people.

If I see a guy, I can generally more or less tell if he's a metal fan, a hardcore fan, a punk fan, a ska fan, etc.

Pop-punk will suprise you, though. I've been surfing through hot chick's myspaces and several times and found that they like pop-punk when they struck me as completely mainstream whores (as opposed to only slightly, like pop-punk fans :p )

You never can know.

cobert
10-25-2005, 03:40 PM
I read the first post and immediately thought of this:

I think i hate my sister. No really. I serioulsy hate her.

1. Shes a scenester.

2. As soon as a band is aclled grindcore, metalcore, or anything related to those (not real hardcore, though) she wanks over them to everyone else.

3. On her myspace, she didnt put taht she likes coheed and cambria or taking back sunday. I asked why and she said "I like them, but you know." I Figured because both are in no way related to ATDI or they dont scream 24/7.

4. She calls me a fag because i listen to saves the day, even though shes never heard anyhting from them. All she knows is that theyre pop-punk.

5. She lies on her myspace that she read a clockwork orange, when i dont even think shes seen the movie, let alone read the book. She says it cause its the cool thing to do.

6. Every time i buy a CD anymore (for about 6 months now), i have to hide it form her. She'll find it, scream at me for an hour for wasting my money, then say i shouldve downloaded it. She wont let me download anything however, because she says ill download bad music. I think she missed the point that i would download music so i know what a band sounds like. Most recently, she insulted me today for buy '13 songs' by Fugazi. I actually think she'd like it, its like ATDI + funk.

7. She thinks shes above everyone else because she heard of ______(insert band) before they did, and theyre just jumping on the bandwagon.

8. She thinks emo is 'faggot my girlfriend left me music, like dashboard confessional'.

9. She lost my copy of 'Worship and Tribute', by glassjaw.

10. She name drops. If you dont know what that is, its when you try to slyly sneak bands names into sentences and make it seem casual so that you seem like some scene god.

11. She yelled at me once at a local show for bobbing my head to a band that was pretty good. After she found their demo in my CD case (which she looks through weekly, i guess just to find reasons to make fun of me), she threw it awy. It was a good CD, too.

Admittedly, though, i wear girls pants and tight shirts. Its not because i want to look like some idiot with bad hair, but because it looks good on me (i do, however, refuse to straighten/dye my curly black fro). I really dont care if the person dresses a certain way or not as long as they do it because they want to, not so they can get more attention when walking into some restaurant after a show or if they can seem more 'holier than thou' to everyone else.

CommieCanada
10-25-2005, 03:44 PM
so i missed a lot of discussion but i agree with a lot of things that Vince has said. I became so dissillusioned with the hardcore scene here that i flipped 180 degress and totally abandoned the music that i once loved maily because it didnt mean anything to me any more because the music itself felt so corrupted.

around here, being scene is the new preppie lifestyle. most of the scene kids are spoiled kids who dont know what real pain and loss is and dont seem to connect to the music at all but got into it because their friends did and it just snowballed. while you have a handful of kids that go to shows and stand up front next to the bands and dont try and fight invisible ninjas in the pit, they seem to be the minority now a days

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 03:45 PM
I fail to see how your sister lying on her myspace effects you at all. Stop bitching about it.

That whole throwing-away-CDs thing is lame as hell, though. It's your money, spend it how you want.

I wish my sister liked heavy stuff, though. It'd make long car trips a lot easier.

cobert
10-25-2005, 03:47 PM
I fail to see how your sister lying on her myspace effects you at all. Stop bitching about it.

That whole throwing-away-CDs thing is lame as hell, though. It's your money, spend it how you want.

I wish my sister liked heavy stuff, though. It'd make long car trips a lot easier.

The myspace thing was more about the scene in general, and how its all a bandwagon. Im just tired of getting bitched at for liking music that i like for my own reasons, not music that 'scene'.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 03:50 PM
The myspace thing was more about the scene in general, and how its all a bandwagon. Im just tired of getting bitched at for liking music that i like for my own reasons, not music that 'scene'.

Or she may bitch about the music you listen to because she doesn't like it.

Or maybe she creams over any band that'd grindcore and whatever....because she really digs grindcore.

CommieCanada
10-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Or maybe she creams over any band that'd grindcore and whatever....because she really digs grindcore.
i really dont get how anyone could dig grindcore

cobert
10-25-2005, 03:55 PM

I know shes really does like grindcore and everything, but she has to be snobby and tell everyone she talks to about how crazy it is. She admits herself shes never heard anything from thursday or saves the day, the 2 bands she insists on picking on me for.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 03:55 PM
i really dont get how anyone could dig grindcore

And I fail to see why you like The Blood Brothers and new Underoath.

People like different stuff.

Real Grindcore is pretty boring, though. Rotten Sound aint bad, I suppose. I can't tell if they're deathmetal or grindcore, however.

chips88
10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I think all this thread proves conclusively is that Vince is really good at ranting, and Joel needs a new avatar.

cobert
10-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Joel needs a new avatar.

Agreed.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 03:59 PM
I know shes really does like grindcore and everything, but she has to be snobby and tell everyone she talks to about how crazy it is. She admits herself shes never heard anything from thursday or saves the day, the 2 bands she insists on picking on me for.

Then pick on her for liking bands that you've never heard of. "Yeah, at least I like music with actually melody, you fat, ugly bitch!" and what not.

Grindcore is pretty crazy. If I liked it I'd tell people too. It takes balls. It's almost a badge of honor.

CommieCanada
10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Then pick on her for liking bands that you've never heard of. "Yeah, at least I like music with actually melody, you fat, ugly bitch!" and what not.

Grindcore is pretty crazy. If I liked it I'd tell people too. It takes balls. It's almost a badge of honor.
i was in a grindcore band. it was fun to play and all but it sounds like ****

Mute Print
10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Grindcore is something I can only take in incredibly small amounts.

In my opinion, if you take away the "Hot Topic" kids, and get to the core of the music scene, it's as strong as ever. There are so many good bands out there, and with the ability to download music, bands are getting a lot of recognition without ever getting radio/MTV play. It's awesome to go to a show and see a couple hundred people who are truly into a bnad that has never touched the mainstream.

cobert
10-25-2005, 04:06 PM

hahah. I like some grindcore myself. I wouldnt necesarily say its a badge of honor, but whatever.

EDIT: OMG mute print is b-ran.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
hahah. I like some grindcore myself. I wouldnt necesarily say its a badge of honor, but whatever.

EDIT: OMG mute print is b-ran.

Note that I mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindcore.

Not Daughters and Locust and whatever.

Mute Print
10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
:lol: High on Fire.

I saw them with Every Time I Die, and I couldn't here the vocalist at all. I was really close too. He was a pretty sweet guitarist though.

cobert
10-25-2005, 04:19 PM

Yeah, some stuff from agoraphobic nosebleed is cool. Napalm death is meh, i can listen to them.

Some of those subgenres are ridiculous.

CommieCanada
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM

whoa! we named our grindcore band Sore Throat!

Kif
10-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Ska is real cool though.

That's so true. When we saw Sum 41, Mighty Mighty Bosstones were supporting. Now back then, I didn't care for them that much, but it was such a fun show because these complete strangers got us into a circle and started skanking. It was so fun, just hanging out and having a laugh.

I don't see how people can bitch about genres. Whether it's something close to music you like, like metalcore or grindcore or whatever (I'm sick to death of seeing bands being pushed into another "core" group though), or something far off like classical, world or hip-hop. There are a lot of bands I don't like, but I truely don't hate that many bands or artists

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 04:59 PM
I think all this thread proves conclusively is that Vince is really good at ranting, and Joel needs a new avatar.
Touche.

Jon: Most Ska fans are great, and I'm a huge fan of ska shows, but some of my real douche friends are big ska fans. Thanks to me :-\ Not douches at shows, but if you knew them outside of the show they'd be a douche. But eh, Finding good, cool people at shows is rare enough as is and I'm just being picky. Ska still has a great scene people wise.

Andy: Yeah, that's what I was hinting at towards the end. The kids entering the scene are these upper middle class suburban kids who in most cases can't even connect to the music. (I did say most, not all though :))

cbmartinez
10-25-2005, 05:01 PM
I hate the kids around here who wear girl pants, white belts, dye their hair black, have lip rings, only listen to "hardcore" and "grindcore" and only listen to The Blood Brothers, Norma Jean or Bright Eyes. I got rid of my Norma Jean shirt because I didn't really wanna get associated with that crowd.

Mute Print
10-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I've met a lot of people at shows. Since I'm always alone, people tend to come up to me and introduce themselves. I find that the scene around here is full of nice people, which is one positive.

Haha, Chris, I see so many of those kids at shows. It's really sad.

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 05:06 PM
I hate the kids around here who wear girl pants, white belts, dye their hair black, have lip rings, only listen to "hardcore" and "grindcore" and only listen to The Blood Brothers, Norma Jean or Bright Eyes. I got rid of my Norma Jean shirt because I didn't really wanna get associated with that crowd.
:eek: That's the shirt I always remember you by though :p

Anyways I thought you were into this scene so your response surprised me.
I've met a lot of people at shows. Since I'm always alone, people tend to come up to me and introduce themselves. I find that the scene around here is full of nice people, which is one positive.

Haha, Chris, I see so many of those kids at shows. It's really sad.
I always go alone, but I think the fact that I look twice as old as anyone else at the show intimidates people :-\

Mute Print
10-25-2005, 05:09 PM
I always go alone, but I think the fact that I look twice as old as anyone else at the show intimidates people :-\
Heh, I'm only 15, and I'm pretty sure I look it too. It seems I'm always having girls coming up to me at shows. They always ask me the same things too. "Are you here alone?", "Where are you from?", "How old are you?", "Who are you here to see?", "Do you go to a lot of shows?", and so on...

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Heh, I'm only 15, and I'm pretty sure I look it too. It seems I'm always having girls (never guys) coming up to me at shows. They always ask me the same things too. "Where are you from?", "How old are you?", "Who are you here to see?", "Do you go to a lot of shows?", and so on...
That's the point where it sucks to have your dad hanging around with you :p

It's true girls are usually more friendly though. Girls or drunk people.

cbmartinez
10-25-2005, 05:11 PM
:eek: That's the shirt I always remember you by though :p

Anyways I thought you were into this scene so your response surprised me

I love Norma Jean and The Blood Brothers and I guess my shirts are tight, but I would nver think of buying girl pants, straightening my hair or wearing eyeliner.

chips88
10-25-2005, 05:13 PM

rofl. good to see that you're just as origional as ever.

/does same thing with throwdown shirt

Mute Print
10-25-2005, 05:15 PM
That's the point where it sucks to have your dad hanging around with you

It's true girls are usually more friendly though. Girls or drunk people.
Well, my dad is never with me, but I don't mind telling people that I'm with him anyway. My dad is cooler han most people I know.

I've seen some of the girls at other shows, and they always remember my name. Unfortunately, I usually forget their's by the time the show is over. :-\

Chris: I straighten my hair, but just because I don't like it curly, not because it's the cool thing to do. Also, I would never think of wearing my hair like all the scenesters do.

cbmartinez
10-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I meant like straighten it, dye it black, put it over the eye thing.

/does same thing with throwdown shirt

Throwdown is not scene. I didn't know you liked them though.

Mute Print
10-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I meant like straighten it, dye it black, put it over the eye thing.
Haha, that's what I figured. Those kids seriously make me laugh.

Whoever decided that looked cool...

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 05:23 PM
I love Norma Jean and The Blood Brothers and I guess my shirts are tight, but I would nver think of buying girl pants, straightening my hair or wearing eyeliner.
For some reason I thought you wore girls pants and such too. Misconception I guess :-\
Well, my dad is never with me, but I don't mind telling people that I'm with him anyway. My dad is cooler han most people I know.

I've seen some of the girls at other shows, and they always remember my name. Unfortunately, I usually forget their's by the time the show is over. :-\

Chris: I straighten my hair, but just because I don't like it curly, not because it's the cool thing to do. Also, I would never think of wearing my hair like all the scenesters do.
Yeah, but it's hard to get the secks if your dad's waiting to go ;)

Dude...if they remember you you should totally be hitting that, jeez. Unless they're like...hideously skanky or something.

My hair comes over my eyes in a non-scene way :-\

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 05:23 PM

Psh, I used to straighten my hair.

Then I stopped :cool:

(My sister took it :( )

That over-one-eye thing is lame though. My hair is either over both eyes, or above them both.

I assume scruffy and unshaven is fairly unscene too. I rule.

-

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~ee-p/images/costumes/mariachi.jpg

That's what I always thought of as Vince when I imagined is clothes.

REAL_FOB/TBS/BN_FAN
10-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Ok so i read this thing on the state of the scene and agree to a point. The point i dont agree with is the whole it dosent matter about the music thing. The Texas scene is bad, let me tell you that. Alot of kids do just like to be "seen" at shows, not knowing who the band is or even liking them. They still dress scene and act scene but they dont put it together with the music. I on the other hand am opposite. I dont dress scene, i hardley act scene, but i love the music. I cant get enough of good punk, pop-punk, hardcore, metalcore, screamo, every genre you can think of, i probably like it. I dress like a, dare i say it, PREP. I wear Holister and Abercrombie, Express and other places like that. SO when i show up at a show, i always get these dirty looks from supposed "scene" kids who cant belive three preps (my 2 best friends also are the same as me) just walked in to thier show. What freaks them out more is that i am a black guy. What sends them over the top is one time when we got on stage becuase we were the band they came to see, and we rocked the place. I guess if being scene is bout the music then call me scene. I dont mind being called a prep, but let it known that i dont like being grouped in with the jerkoffs that i used to hang out with. All i do now is hang out with scene kids, besides my best friends. I party with scene kids, i play music with scene kids, and i love scene kids. I am pretty much a scene kid in a preps body ready to come out, but i dont want to dress that way becuase its not my style. That to mean proves that i am not a fake, and that there are still people who are here for the music and for the people, not for the whole "im a tourted privialged kid, but i need to be diffrent."

So hate me if you will for being a prep who lives scene, but we are around and we do exists. We even are well liked an dlike yall. I am sure that just seeing a picture of me would make you go "I would hate that kid", but I would love you. Scene kids are so much better than preps in the way you guys are down to earth. There are some conceded ones, but they are few and far between. I have nothing but good things to say bout scene kids and hope every one i continue to meet feels the same.

O well wait i lied, my hair used to be scene, i had it straitend, but that was just becuase i messed up and hate to do something with it. I liked it though

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 05:50 PM
There are black people on this forum? I had no idea.

You missed that whole thing about us saying how "People are too obssessed with image in today's scene. It doesn't matter what you look like". We were more or less agreeing with me.

I admit I'd be a little confused if I saw you at a show though.

Permanent Solution
10-25-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm not gonna quote that, but you know who I'm talking to. I actually think it's great you're like that. That's what I think is necessary. People who don't look like everyone else and are part of the scene because of their love of the music. Diversity in the scene is what I'm advocating. :)

REAL_FOB/TBS/BN_FAN
10-25-2005, 06:02 PM
There are black people on this forum? I had no idea.

You missed that whole thing about us saying how "People are too obssessed with image in today's scene. It doesn't matter what you look like". We were more or less agreeing with me.

I admit I'd be a little confused if I saw you at a show though.
Ya i know i missed it, i was going to go somethwere with wu i started writting, then smoked with my friends, then came back and forgot.

CommieCanada
10-25-2005, 06:09 PM
OOPS!

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 06:13 PM
OOPS!

He quoted hardcore and grindcore to establish sarcasm.

They claim they listen to that, but then they don't actually.

CommieCanada
10-25-2005, 06:16 PM
He quoted hardcore and grindcore to establish sarcasm.

They claim they listen to that, but then they don't actually.
but... its Bright Eyes. even people who claim to listen to hardcore and grindcore dont include Bright Eyes in those either of those categories

/tries to save post

EmoMagnum
10-25-2005, 08:33 PM
I on the other hand am opposite. I dont dress scene, i hardley act scene, but i love the music. I cant get enough of good punk, pop-punk, hardcore, metalcore, screamo, every genre you can think of, i probably like it. What freaks them out more is that i am a black guy.

Yea. Thats about the same here. Ill be walking along at school or sitting in the Library with some Ambry or Senses Fail or whatnot blasting from my Cd player, and people will come up to me and talk to me while recognizing the band. At first theyre suprised but after awhile they get passed it. Also, I just dress like a normal black kid. No special hair, NEVER a pair of girl pants, but I do want to get some Band T-Shirts. I dont go to shows though because, where I live the only scene is Country/Folk/WTFhippieCityScene, Asheville NC.
Oh, but I limit myself to Pop/Punk-Screamo-Emo-HardcoreWTFcore, none of that metalcore grindcore Ska, all that other stuff.

BridgeToSolace
10-25-2005, 08:47 PM
I think this is the most black people that have ever posted in the same thread on this forum.

hey, you're not cory!
10-26-2005, 05:08 PM
I think this is the most black people that have ever posted in the same thread on this forum.
You're supposed to call them negros....

Oz Rembrandt
10-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Alot of kids do just like to be "seen" at shows, not knowing who the band is or even liking them.

The same happens here. It's really frustrating as a musician to get kids turning up to your gigs, but not paying attention to the music, just because its "cool" to be seen there.

EmoMagnum
10-26-2005, 07:58 PM
You're supposed to call them negros....

Errm, I knew I shouldve signed up as InCogNegro.

B
10-26-2005, 07:59 PM
:lol: Nice.

cobert
10-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Heh, I'm only 15, and I'm pretty sure I look it too. It seems I'm always having girls coming up to me at shows. They always ask me the same things too. "Are you here alone?", "Where are you from?", "How old are you?", "Who are you here to see?", "Do you go to a lot of shows?", and so on...

same here, everyone thinks im 18. My sisters friend that ive known for about 3 years now was hitting on me, and it was kinda creepy cause shes like, 22.

Throwdown is not scene.

Around here they are.

I dress like a, dare i say it, PREP.

Prep is the new scene around here. Its basically just people in polo shirts with lip piercings.

What freaks them out more is that i am a black guy

:eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That might be one of my favorite posts ive ever seen on MX.

Sid
10-27-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't worry about the scene and all that jazz. I just go to shows of bands I like. What everyone else is doing doesn't really matter. A while back I thought I cared. In fact I made a thread exactly like this.

It all comes down to your own experience and love of a band. You can completely be in love with the music and still be just as shallow, if not more so, than 'scene' kids. It's kind of hard to tell however, from one's own viewpoint.

Just stick to doing what you do, kids.

SunnyDayRealEstateAM
10-27-2005, 05:41 PM
I can't really say much about the scene kids. There arn't much around here. Everyone here is stuck on the Preppy, Biker, or Gangster look. I just sport the tight pants and tight shirts but my hair is in no way scene and I would look like a big retard with eyeliner (i have glasses). I guess I do like a few scene bands but its because of the sound not the people. I agree that music shouldn't be centered on the look or feel but on the sound. Nothing but the sound and message.

REAL_FOB/TBS/BN_FAN
10-27-2005, 05:47 PM
I want to be friends with you, only becuase that ^ is genius

We black rockers have to stick together, either that or turn on eachother and seel ourselves for money.

REAL_FOB/TBS/BN_FAN
10-27-2005, 05:48 PM
I forgot to qoute u sorry

B
10-27-2005, 05:48 PM

We black rockers have to stick together, either that or turn on eachother and seel ourselves for money.
:lol: Haven't seen you around much lately.

Edit: there's a new no double posting rule by the way.

REAL_FOB/TBS/BN_FAN
10-27-2005, 05:52 PM
:lol: Haven't seen you around much lately.

Edit: there's a new no double posting rule by the way.
Ive been songwriting with my band, i have to cut off the outside world for like 3 weeks to get in the zone. We have come up wit some good stuff to, and where gunna wrecord in the next few weeks.

I went into Hot Topic today and had a 30 minute convo with this one "scene"type dude in there. I gareente she hated me for the first 15 minutes of the convo just by my look, by the end of the convo we where laughing and we r even going to g smoke somrtime. Thats how it should be, we should all unite under the banner of music, not dress, race, or gender. If you love music with a passion then you are my friend, no metter who you are.

B
10-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Ive been songwriting with my band, i have to cut off the outside world for like 3 weeks to get in the zone. We have come up wit some good stuff to, and where gunna wrecord in the next few weeks.

I went into Hot Topic today and had a 30 minute convo with this one "scene"type dude in there. I gareente she hated me for the first 15 minutes of the convo just by my look, by the end of the convo we where laughing and we r even going to g smoke somrtime. Thats how it should be, we should all unite under the banner of music, not dress, race, or gender. If you love music with a passion then you are my friend, no metter who you are.
I agree whole-heartedly.

SunnyDayRealEstateAM
10-28-2005, 05:19 PM
The good about this whole scene thing are the chicks. I dig them unless they're the fat ones.

goingunderground
10-28-2005, 06:00 PM
I really can relate to people pissed off with 'the scene'

it shouldn't irritate me at all, but most of my town is now populated by these people. They spend all their time hanging around town, and moaning about 'chavs' and how the town is full of them. They really do think that (despite what they say) it is all about image. I have been called a 'chav' on numerous occasions for wearing a football (soccer :thumb: ) shirt, and even once for wearing a NOFX shirt (clueless fools)

but now i have gotten past the stage of letting it truely bothering me. I listen to (cliche alert) a fairly wide range of music so really at the end of the day it is these 'scene kids' that are missing out on how amazing different musical styles can be

honestly though,it may have already happened before, but the day The Bouncing Souls and Big Daddy Kane are worshipped by the same people is the day i literally go mental

just remember, by being yourself and not conforming to any trends, you are more 'individual' and 'different' then anyone else

Do you own thing

:)

BridgeToSolace
10-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Do you own thing

:)

Everyone says this.

It should be followed with the sentence "Unless I don't agree with what you're doing"

Don't get pissed about the kids complaining about chavs and then say "Do whatever you want, guyz!"

goingunderground
10-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Everyone says this.

It should be followed with the sentence "Unless I don't agree with what you're doing"

Don't get pissed about the kids complaining about chavs and then say "Do whatever you want, guyz!"

I said i DID get pissed off with them, mainly for their undeniable lack of knowledge

Do your own thing, not what everyone else does

Which is what they do

They are missing out

I am not

And everyone might say it, but not everybody does it. Just commenting on a relevant thread, thats all :rolleyes:

BridgeToSolace
10-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Do your own thing, not what everyone else does

Which is what they do=

Who's to say a lot of people have similar "own" things?

For example, I find pirates increadibly ****ing cool. Other people do to. Does that mean that I think pirates are cool because other people do? No, it means I think pirates are cool.

cobert
10-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Yeah, i believe everyone decided to be scene because they thought they would be cool and different, which horrendously backfired.

goingunderground
10-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Who's to say a lot of people have similar "own" things?

For example, I find pirates increadibly ****ing cool. Other people do to. Does that mean that I think pirates are cool because other people do? No, it means I think pirates are cool.

Yep, because the fact that everyone in my town wears black, has sidey hair and watches the nightmare before christmas is purely coincidential

You know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

And you liking pirates is 'cool' and 'your own thing'. Some people would choose to like it just because of other people though. Which is what I'm getting at

cobert
10-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Vikings >>> Pirates.

BridgeToSolace
10-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Yep, because the fact that everyone in my town wears black, has sidey hair and watches the nightmare before christmas is purely coincidential

You know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

And you liking pirates is 'cool' and 'your own thing'. Some people would choose to like it just because of other people though. Which is what I'm getting at

So doing things to look cool in the eyes of others is their thing.

Let them be.

goingunderground
10-28-2005, 07:45 PM
So doing things to look cool in the eyes of others is their thing.

Let them be.

I am :rolleyes:

I stated earlier how it doesn't bother me now

BridgeToSolace
10-28-2005, 07:47 PM
I am :rolleyes:

I stated earlier how it doesn't bother me now

Which is why you complain about it on internet forums, I see.

goingunderground
10-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Which is why you complain about it on internet forums, I see.

I added my thoughts to it

Stating how i USED to be iiritated by it

You absolute tool :wave:

cobert
10-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Stop fighting, ladies.

goingunderground
10-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Stop fighting, ladies.

But anyway yes, Viking ARE Pirates.....:p :D

cobert
10-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Pirates with cool helmets, which makes them superior.

BridgeToSolace
10-28-2005, 08:10 PM
You absolute tool :wave:

Heres the point I try to make in this thread:

Generally, people like you ("Dude, they just conform to noncomformity lol") have no right to complain.

How did those people (the conformers) get the way the are? They saw something done, and for whatever reason, they agreed with it and tried to emulate it. I think I look good in black t-shirts, after seeing that it makes overweight people look slighty slimmer than they are. I now wear black-shirts regularly. For some, it might get them attention from a certain kind of girl, for others, it may make them feel more socially accepted by their friends.

And then there's people like you. I don't know you, so this may not be true in your case, but from experience, people go from Mainstream, to Scene, to Scene Bitching.

You start as mainstream. This, for some reason, isn't getting you the recognition you want. Maybe you aren't getting attention from the right girl, you're getting dirty looks at shows, or you aren't appealing to the people you would like to get attention from.

So, you try being Scene. "Maybe if I'm different people will notice me and I'll get the attention I want". You're scene for a while, but then you realize that a lot of other people are going through the same thing you are. You aren't different anymore. ****.

That's when you get to scene bitchers. This is just the next step in trying to be different or unique. You complain constantly about how stupid scene people are, and you try your best not to do anything that scene kids do to. Most people on this forum are at this stage. Notice how they all agree? Think that's a coincidence too? :p (like the people in your town wearing black)

I am merely at the next level, which I am currently to tired to name. I bitch about scene bitchers. You are no better or worse than them.

-

And I fail to see who I'm being used by, or how I am being used.

But oh well, ad hominem arguments rule. "You're wrong because you're a tool!"

Oh, okay, whatever. Cheers, dude. :chug:

goingunderground
10-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Heres the point I try to make in this thread:

Generally, people like you ("Dude, they just conform to noncomformity lol") have no right to complain.

How did those people (the conformers) get the way the are? They saw something done, and for whatever reason, they agreed with it and tried to emulate it. I think I look good in black t-shirts, after seeing that it makes overweight people look slighty slimmer than they are. I now wear black-shirts regularly. For some, it might get them attention from a certain kind of girl, for others, it may make them feel more socially accepted by their friends.

And then there's people like you. I don't know you, so this may not be true in your case, but from experience, people go from Mainstream, to Scene, to Scene Bitching.

You start as mainstream. This, for some reason, isn't getting you the recognition you want. Maybe you aren't getting attention from the right girl, you're getting dirty looks at shows, or you aren't appealing to the people you would like to get attention from.

So, you try being Scene. "Maybe if I'm different people will notice me and I'll get the attention I want". You're scene for a while, but then you realize that a lot of other people are going through the same thing you are. You aren't different anymore. ****.

That's when you get to scene bitchers. This is just the next step in trying to be different or unique. You complain constantly about how stupid scene people are, and you try your best not to do anything that scene kids do to. Most people on this forum are at this stage. Notice how they all agree? Think that's a coincidence too? :p (like the people in your town wearing black)

I am merely at the next level, which I am currently to tired to name. I bitch about scene bitchers. You are no better or worse than them.

-

And I fail to see who I'm being used by, or how I am being used.

But oh well, ad hominem arguments rule. "You're wrong because you're a tool!"

Oh, okay, whatever. Cheers, dude. :chug:

Nice essay, but a bit of a waste of time as it's wrong :confused:

I dont really need to expand, but your 'theory' is wrong. I'm not anything. I dont go around complaining all day. I havent been 'scene' or a 'scene bitcher' or whatever. I dont crave attention.

But you, up there in your ivory tower,(:wave: ) seem to know everything about everything

You're the next level. You've seen it all. Smug.

Well done

BridgeToSolace
10-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Nice essay, but a bit of a waste of time as it's wrong :confused:

I dont really need to expand, but your 'theory' is wrong. I'm not anything. I dont go around complaining all day. I havent been 'scene' or a 'scene bitcher' or whatever. I dont crave attention.

But you, up there in your ivory tower,(:wave: ) seem to know everything about everything

You're the next level. You've seen it all. Smug.

Well done

My theory is wrong because it doesn't apply to you? Especially when I specifically say "I don't know you, so this may not apply to you", and "from experience", right?. "From Experience" meaning "This is what I went through, and what I observe from the people around me and the people on this forum." Also, from experience, if you're on an internet forum arguing with someone, you're looking for some degree of attention. Right now hoping to look cool to Vince by acting as smart as I possibly can, and the noobs by pwning a guy.

Being nothing makes you something, if you didn't know. It's so rare that it's noticable. As well as unlikely.

Saying "All day" was hyperbole, I apologize.

I am pretty smug. My first post in the thread seem to efficiently own scene bitchers. I like that. I even got rep for it (:-*, Vince)

Hahahaha, well put, Joel.

PDWAB
10-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Heres the point I try to make in this thread: blah blah blah blah blah

That is pretty much my experience as well. Generally people care too much and talk too much about these things.

Also this argument has kind of reached the "we've made peace but we're still kinda acting like faggots" so you guys can stop now.

Oz Rembrandt
10-29-2005, 04:24 AM
Vikings >>> Pirates.

Ninjas>>>Vikings

Dead Star
10-29-2005, 04:48 AM
Ninjas>>>>everything

hotcod32
10-29-2005, 06:07 AM

then your just as bad as them.... chirst i've looked like i have for years, it was always ALWAYS a poppunk/emo look, in fact if it wasn't for tom dressing that way we would't have the fashion we do now... and i'm NOT going to stop dress like i do becuse it now makes me look like a less cool scene kid... i'm not going to stop lissioing to what i lission to becuse some of its now "scene" bands... just in the same way i'll not stop lissioing to poppunk or "emo" becuse its not cool any more...

see when it comes to scene kids you just have to think of one thing, this fashion they have for wearing there hoods up... ask any of them why they do it, and you'll only find the odd one who has any idea... the hood thing comes from hardcore kids where you'd put you hood up and put a bandan around your face so when your in the pit beating the crap out of some one theres no way of telling who did what, so you could feel free to do it becuse you would't get cornored and beaten up after the show... now these kids do it becuse they think what they lission to is hardcore (they would't know hardcore if it came up and hit them in the face, which is likely to do) but they don't know WHY they do it, or why it makes them look stupidly sily to any one who KNOWS why people used to do it... non of these kids will ever touch a hardcore pit, and most of them would't ever hide there face becuse then no one would know how cool they are... they'll stand around in hot and sweety clubs with a hoodie on and there hood up becuse its what there freinds do... there simply leeches and as soon as one kid finds somthing cool they allhave to do it, meaning the kids have to find somthing else to be cool about... this is why what they where all lissioning to a few years ago isn't cool any more, and its not emo, or even scremo, its all about hardcore and grindcore or what ever the **** there calling these nu meatle bands that try and write emo songs... they'll kill them selfs in the end

BUT if you let them effect what you like, or what you do, then you ARE just as bad as them... becuse you'll be careing about what other people think... "i don't want to look like them (see i'm cool really)"

Oz Rembrandt
10-29-2005, 08:15 AM
Ninjas>>>>everything

tr00f

cbmartinez
10-29-2005, 10:11 AM
lissioing

I couldn't get past that.

cobert
10-29-2005, 01:30 PM
lission

What?

they'll stand around in hot and sweety clubs with a hoodie on...

...And a gun in my pants.

IM FRESH TO DEF!!!!

Ninjas>>>>everything

Slander!

Also, viking have better facial hair.

EmoMagnum
10-29-2005, 03:19 PM
What?

...And a gun in my pants.

IM FRESH TO DEF!!!!

Slander!

Also, viking have better facial hair.
<-- Is Fresh to Def.

Damn right.

hey, you're not cory!
10-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Pirates pwn all. End of story.