PDA

View Full Version : Heads For Snare and Bass

Divine Drummer
10-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Ok so theres a thread about heads for the toms. As im going to buy some heads for my whole set soon i'd like to know what are your prefered bass and snare heads and why?

dbl_bass_drmr_Jirvy
10-23-2005, 05:32 PM
PS3 - Bass Batter
Ebony - Front Basshead

It packs a punch...

Coated Amb - Snare batter
Snareside Amb -

Versatile

Panopticon
10-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Emad over Coated G1 for bass...
Evans Powercenter over Hazy 300 for snare

Divine Drummer
10-23-2005, 06:54 PM
it might sound weird but does anyone use a coated bass drum batter. All I ever see is clear for batter

Panopticon
10-23-2005, 07:55 PM
lots of people do...i think DBJ does...it just depends on the sound your looking for.

Divine Drummer
10-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Ok just wanted to make sure, because I was looking at the remo site it it sounded like couted made a more prefered sound for me but i just never seen anyone else with them

wacekar7
10-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Remo PS3/Stock and Evans Coated G1/Snare Side Hazy 300. Kick ***.

aznriceball
10-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Ok just wanted to make sure, because I was looking at the remo site it it sounded like couted made a more prefered sound for me but i just never seen anyone else with them

pft who cares its ur set :p i kicked some poser out of my house yesterday cuz he called me a newb for playing some open handed stuff :D

poppinfresh
10-25-2005, 05:16 PM
i use an emad for the bass with a stock ported reso. I use it because it gets this huge thump without the need of muffling, it has the prefect balance of attack and damn im forgetting my terms, attack and i dont remember but its the perfect sound, you can stand in front of it, have someone play it, and you can feel your chest thump.

For snare, i havent gotten around to too many to have an opinion.

Divine Drummer
10-26-2005, 05:59 AM
pft who cares its ur set :p i kicked some poser out of my house yesterday cuz he called me a newb for playing some open handed stuff :D

Thats very true cheers :thumb: Heh What a fool open handed opens up so many more options

Phantom Lord
10-26-2005, 08:19 AM
at the risk of sounding stupid, what's the differnce soundwise between coated heads and clear ones? And isn't open handed just playing on the other side of the kit to the hi-hat?

Doez86
10-26-2005, 09:11 AM
PS4 on bass batter
Emperor X on snare batter
I still just have a factory Mapex on the kick reso.

Divine Drummer
10-26-2005, 12:50 PM
at the risk of sounding stupid, what's the differnce soundwise between coated heads and clear ones? And isn't open handed just playing on the other side of the kit to the hi-hat?

Coated is supposed to be warmer and clear is supposed to give a more open sound. Dont ask me what they actually mean im only just getting used to the sound terms myself :)

Open Handed is basically when your hands do not cross over while playing. When people refer to it they mostly mean playing the hi-hat with your left hand instead of your right so your hands are freed up.

dedard9fx
10-27-2005, 01:50 PM
PS3 - Bass Batter
Ebony - Front Basshead

It packs a punch...

Coated Amb - Snare batter
Snareside Amb -

Versatile
Exactly the same for me !:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

dedard9fx
10-27-2005, 01:53 PM
it might sound weird but does anyone use a coated bass drum batter. All I ever see is clear for batter
I use PS4 coated bass head.... I like it very much cause I don't have to put anything in my bass to muffle sound...!

\m/-CHeV-\m/
10-28-2005, 08:05 AM
3 options for the bass:
PS3 (b) PS3(r)
PS4 (b) PS3(r)
EMAD (b) PS3 (r) maybe these combinations sound weird to you guys but it really works!! i have had all the combos i mentioned above. just tune them as loose as possible (Both heads), without internal muffling.. man, that bass wil blow you away :D:naughty: :naughty:

for the snare I most of the time use an evans genera dry over the standard head on teh snare side which comes with the set.

oh yeah, just to tell you, i prefer the PS4 over the PS3 ;)..

Aaron
10-28-2005, 08:19 AM
currently using clear ambassador for batter with no reso :thumb:
and coated amb over snare side amb for both my snares

TaylorRules
10-28-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm using (all remo):

Coated Powerstroke 3 over stock snare side on the snare.
Coated Pinstripe over Ebony on the bass.

aznriceball
10-28-2005, 11:36 AM
i gotta go update that response thread..

Double Bass Jim
10-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Coated amb or emp over coated amb reso, no ports with a thin pillow touching both heads. The best combo i've used on the bass drum since the PS3 batter.

Coated amb over clear amb or dip (snare side).

Aaron
10-31-2005, 04:38 AM
what do you think of a diplomat for a bass reso guys?

Double Bass Jim
10-31-2005, 04:41 AM
Only head that comes in thin for the bass drum from remo is the fyberskin... I beleive... I havent seen a DIP in those sizes before.

Aaron
10-31-2005, 06:20 AM
i reckon, if they make them, they'd work well as a reso, they'd keep the air in, but not much else, so you could really do alot of different things with the batter and experiment.. dip reso with EMAD and a tiny-pillow'd go well i reckon

Chris
10-31-2005, 06:46 AM
i reckon, if they make them, they'd work well as a reso, they'd keep the air in, but not much else, so you could really do alot of different things with the batter and experiment.. dip reso with EMAD and a tiny-pillow'd go well i reckon

A EMAD with a pillow, that would be overkill, but whatever floats your boat.

Aaron
10-31-2005, 07:04 AM
correction: EMAD with evans muffling gate pillow. that things good cause you can control what the pillows actually doing rather than trial-and-error a good position for it..

FL3P
10-31-2005, 07:04 AM
I'm using (all remo):

Coated Powerstroke 3 over stock snare side on the snare.
Coated Pinstripe over Ebony on the bass.

I thought I was the only one who used a coated P3 on my snare, I like them a lot. Clear P3 on the kick is always nice.

Double Bass Jim
10-31-2005, 05:02 PM
The fiberskyn makes for an excellent bass drum reso... Looks fantastic too.