PDA

View Full Version : I dont particulalrly like jazz, but tell me one album i should check out anyway

Original-Kris05
10-22-2005, 05:05 PM
as above

Flamencology
10-22-2005, 05:07 PM
It would help if you told us what you did like.

Original-Kris05
10-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Ok i like indie, metal, dance, funk, quite varied realy. Try me.

Flamencology
10-22-2005, 05:21 PM
I'd suggest reading about these on Amazon or something, and going with the one or two that pique your interest the most.

Uri Caine - Shelf-Life
Screaming Headless Torsos - 1995
Joshua Redman - Momentum
Brian Blade - Perceptual
Bill Frisell - Ghost Town
Brad Mehldau - Largo
Kurt Rosenwinkel - The Next Step
Meshell Ndegeocello - Dance of the Infidel
Cassandra Wilson - Travelling Miles
Bobby McFerrin & Chick Corea - Play

Original-Kris05
10-22-2005, 05:21 PM
thanks

dj_ando
10-22-2005, 09:30 PM
miles davis - kind of blue

if you don't like that, chances are jazz isn't for you :)

Woodstock
10-22-2005, 09:59 PM

No, no, no.

jazzfunkboy
10-22-2005, 10:10 PM
giant steps- coltrane
kind of blue- miles davis

there are a billion other essential jazz things, but these ones i think everyone can agree are classics.

dj_ando
10-22-2005, 11:16 PM
No, no, no.

aww cmon, everyone loves kind of blue! it's one of the most accessable jazz albums.

Flea1234
10-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Yea, Kind of Blue is THE most accessable. If you like funk, you could get a "Herbie Hancock" cd called "Thrust". VERY funky.

dj_ando
10-23-2005, 02:32 AM
Yea, Kind of Blue is THE most accessable. If you like funk, you could get a "Herbie Hancock" cd called "Thrust". VERY funky.

woohoo! finally someone recommends thrust instead of head hunters! it's clearly a better album.

AmericanWeiner
10-25-2005, 10:20 AM
aww cmon, everyone loves kind of blue! it's one of the most accessable jazz albums.

I dislike the tone of trumpet. :thumb:

jazzfunkboy
10-25-2005, 01:27 PM

of trumpets in general, or of mile's trumpet?

the trumpet is a sweet instrument in my opinion.

AmericanWeiner
10-25-2005, 03:04 PM
of trumpets in general, or of mile's trumpet?

the trumpet is a sweet instrument in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure it's just certain recordings of trumpets...Kind of Blue isn't friendly on my ears..it sounds too brackish, but there's a trumpet scene in Bob the Butler that made me twitch, too. I own Dark Magus, and, if I recall, I could listen to that easier than Kind of Blue.

So I really have no idea..

Caleb3221
10-25-2005, 05:08 PM
There are so many kinds of jazz that just getting a few "essential" jazz albums might not do anything for you. Kind of Blue may bore you out of your skull, or you may not like the tone. Jazz isn't really something where you can hear a few songs/albums and know it. You have to listen to a lot of it to learn what you like, what you don't, etc.

Tom
10-25-2005, 05:24 PM
To start with you I reccomend you these two Herbie Hancock records:

Head Hunter
Thrust

Start from there.

halfdeadhippo
10-25-2005, 05:46 PM
If you prefer the sound of a saxophone, try "Giant Steps" or "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane.

Woodstock
10-25-2005, 07:22 PM
I wasn't saying it was a bad album, I'm just arguing against the "if you don't like it, then you won't like jazz" comment. I think that's totally wrong.

AmericanWeiner
10-25-2005, 08:51 PM
If you prefer the sound of a saxophone, try "Giant Steps" or "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane.

Good (if obvious) call...I went to Coltrane after deciding that I didn't like most Miles Davis. He's in my top 25 or so. :p

HitHardDrums55
10-25-2005, 09:59 PM
go to http://www.cdbaby.com and do a search for Green Light. they're labeled under Acid Jazz. maybe even buy the album! they're really good you'll like them if you dig classic rock...they're not really like anything else labeled "jazz" just very unique..lot of Pink Floyd and other trippy classic rock influence...they did a cover of Strawberry Fields Forever by the Beatles on one of their EPs that the guy i used to take drum lessons from gave me and that kicked ***

Medeski Martin & Wood have some good stuff too

HaVIC5
10-25-2005, 10:35 PM
If we're on the subject of tone, Coltrane's tone rather irks me. It's too flat. His playing, however, isn't.

dj_ando
10-25-2005, 11:05 PM
I wasn't saying it was a bad album, I'm just arguing against the "if you don't like it, then you won't like jazz" comment. I think that's totally wrong.

yeah i know, i wasn't being entirely serious. it's just one of those albums that's reached people far and wide outside of the regular jazz audience, and i've never met a fellow jazz enthusiast who dislikes the album. but you're right, that comment was way too generalised.

tgadrummer
10-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Chick Corea was what first got me liking jazz.

Byron
10-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Chick Corea was what first got me liking jazz.
me too, I like him on Leprechaun with Steve Gadd, good stuff

I also really like weather report, check out the songs Birdland and Black Market

AmericanWeiner
10-26-2005, 04:00 PM
me too, I like him on Leprechaun with Steve Gadd, good stuff

I also really like weather report, check out the songs Birdland and Black Market

I think my guitar teacher said he played with Jaco at one point in time..I'm still not sure if I heard him right...though he IS an amazing musician.

EDIT: Ok..I just googled him..apparently one of his pieces has been performed at Carnegie Hall, he's written a book that's on Amazon.

jake plays guitar
10-27-2005, 08:22 PM

best album ever. miles davis rules. except for the star people album... i hated that

dj_ando
10-27-2005, 09:03 PM
it truly is a fantastic album. a love supreme is right up there with it too.