PDA

View Full Version : Got $300 for B-Day!

Bull with Gloves
10-21-2005, 05:56 PM
I just got a $300 gift certificate for my birthday to Guitar Center. In need to decide between an amp and an acoustic. I think I know what acoustic I would get, so I need advice on what I should get for an amp. I'm looking for something that'll actually be useful and not just be the cheap POS in the corner someday. Any ideas, or should I save it? I play Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Ozzy etc. style stuff but I also need good cleans. Maybe just get a good noise supressor pedal and OD pedal for my Fender Frontman? I'll check in on responses tomorrow...for now on it's time for the beeeaahs!!! :cool: :p :D :naughty: (it's my 18'th, gimme a break!)

Dan 1616
10-21-2005, 05:57 PM
I'd put the $300 toward an amp. What sort of size amp are you looking at?
I wouldn't really bother with pedals for your frontman, I put an OD pedal in front of mine and it sounded horrible.

Bull with Gloves
10-21-2005, 05:59 PM
I'd put the $300 toward an amp. What sort of size amp are you looking at?
I wouldn't really bother with pedals for your frontman, I put an OD pedal in front of mine and it sounded horrible.

The other guitarist in my band has a 100wt. Marshall, so I don't have to worry about gigs. I'm thinking very small shows and practice.

guitarfreakguy101
10-21-2005, 06:01 PM
line 6 spyder perhaps?

my friend has one of those micro cubes and it's pretty freaking sweet for such a small amp.

Dan 1616
10-21-2005, 06:06 PM
If you're not worried about gigs and it's just for practice, I'd go for a modelling amp. That way you've got the ability to create multiple tones for practicing different things.
Line 6 spider 2's are pretty decent and versatile for the money if you like the sound. Roland cubes are also pretty good.

ingraman
10-21-2005, 06:49 PM
If you already have a frontman 25r or above, I wouldn't worry about getting a new amp. Save another $100 and get a pod xt live.

As for the acoustic, if you really think you'll be playing some acoustic only songs then get one. I got an acoustic a year ago and learned a few songs, but I rarely touch it now.