PDA

View Full Version : Mali

JonM
10-21-2005, 12:21 PM
I try this every once in a while, and usually I don't get much of a response, but there are a bunch of new faces of late, so I think I'll give it another shot.

I want to know if any of you Others follow the burgeoning music scene in Mali. A lot of Malian artists, such as Toumani Diabate, Ali Farka Touré, Issa Bagayogo, Afel Bocoum, and Tinariwen, are have achieved worldwide recognition, and their sound is a refreshing and eye-opening experience for ears of European descent.

Some, like Tinariwen, are heavily influenced by rock music and have incorporated that into their sound. Others, like Diabate, stick pretty closely to their traditional sound, but he and others have collaborated with American and European musicians with amazing results (Diabate made a record with Taj Mahal in 1999, and Diabate, Bocoum, and others made a record with Blur's Damon Albarn in 2002 which I still haven't heard but I want desperately).

Is anybody else aware/a fan of these artists, and if not, do you want to be?

Interstate
10-21-2005, 01:40 PM
I would love to get into that sort of music.

JonM
10-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Right on. Do you have AIM? I'll hook you up sometime.

Delay Pedal Boy
10-22-2005, 08:56 AM
My friend knows quite a bit but don't post here. Have you heard New Ancient Strings? Amazing. He's also bought some Tinariwen (sp?). I should get him to join, or tell you what Jon, you could start a forum just for African music.

JonM
10-22-2005, 09:07 AM
My friend knows quite a bit but don't post here. Have you heard New Ancient Strings? Amazing. He's also bought some Tinariwen (sp?). I should get him to join, or tell you what Jon, you could start a forum just for African music.
Believe me, ain't gon' happen. I've been trying to start a Hip-Hop forum for like two years, and the idea's always shot down. It's ridiculous. There are separate forums for Punk and Pop-Punk, but Hip-Hop, Classical, Folk, and Electronica have to be in the same forum.

I have not heard the New Ancient Strings record, but I know it's one of Toumani Diabate's projects, so it has to be good. Tinariwen are going to be legendary. Maybe not on this continent, but certainly on their own. Robert Plant is currently a big advocate of theirs, so maybe they'll be able to break through. He plays their newest record in the intermissions at shows with his new band.

Delay Pedal Boy
10-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Oh, crazy Jon. I meant outside of MX. And if you haven't heard it yet Ali Farka Touré's Egypt, I believe it's called, is good.

JonM
10-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Are you thinking of Youssou N'Dour's Egypt? I've heard a little bit of it, and I really do like it. He's from Senegal, though.

Delay Pedal Boy
10-22-2005, 02:13 PM
My bad. I confuse the two.

antiant
10-22-2005, 02:40 PM
I love "world music" only thing I've got is Baabal Maal (forgot where he's from) and i've heard of Youssou and some Baka Beyond, Zap Mama, Fela Kuti, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Red Hot (compilation) (i know some aren't from Mali though but just thought i'd name a few from the continent of Africa) etc...but I listen to a lot of other stuff from different countries as well so if anyone wants to share don't be afraid to IM me on aim - antiantology I've also got hip hop from different countries/languages if anyone is interested...btw has anyone heard of Darra J? oh and what's her name Miriam Makeba (she's very popular)?

Okonkwo
10-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey, I'm a friend of Delay Pedal Boy (Yeah, THAT friend). Anyway, I'm really into African music in general, but specifically the music of Senegal and, of course, Mali. I have albums of all the artists you mentioned, Jon, except for Afel Bocoum. Could you recommend one? And, my favorite new Malian album is Dimanche A Bamako by Amadou and Mariam, produced by Manu Chao. Blues-, funk- and soul- inflected Malian music. Really superb.

Okonkwo
10-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Some other big names from Mali: Salif Keita, Oumou Sangare, Boubacar Traore, Lobi Traore... to be continued

Delay Pedal Boy
10-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Dan, man...write a featured artist on one of em, once you get into your posting privileges.

Okonkwo
10-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Dan, man...write a featured artist on one of em, once you get into your posting privileges.

How do I do that?

Delay Pedal Boy
10-22-2005, 03:40 PM
After a day or so on Musician Forums you can post threads, or topics, like this...In the latest existing Featured Artist, if no one else has, call dibs. Then you can post an F.A. on an artist.

TalkingHead
11-21-2005, 08:39 PM
I picked up Kulanjan yesterday, and it's so freaking brilliant.

JonM
11-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Yes! That record is so nice!

I still haven't found anyone that can supplant the latest Tinariwen record, though. I think I'll listen to that album weekly until the day I die.

Noir
11-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Im listening to tinariwens "amassakou". Amazing stuff so far.

Robert Crumb
11-23-2005, 12:47 PM
And, my favorite new Malian album is Dimanche A Bamako by Amadou and Mariam, produced by Manu Chao. Blues-, funk- and soul- inflected Malian music. Really superb.

Yeah, I've been looking for that one around here. I've heard good things.

Okonkwo
11-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Man, I've heard so much about Tinariwen, and I really want to get their albums, but they're SO DAMN EXPENSIVE!!!!!

JonM
11-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Not everywhere. Try online.

diezelpower
11-25-2005, 04:20 PM
i've actually give tinariwen a try and wasn't that impressed, i didn't really see the "rock" that they seem to be labeled with.....it's traditional african music....not ma thang......

JonM
11-25-2005, 06:54 PM
i've actually give tinariwen a try and wasn't that impressed, i didn't really see the "rock" that they seem to be labeled with.....it's traditional african music....not ma thang......
Different strokes for different folks.

Although, it's not really that traditional. There are electric guitars and lots of rock chord progressions.

diezelpower
11-26-2005, 04:41 AM
Different strokes for different folks.

Although, it's not really that traditional. There are electric guitars and lots of rock chord progressions.
really? cuz i was waiting for some guitar work and i really could hear it....it's very subtle...

JonM
11-26-2005, 08:49 AM
really? cuz i was waiting for some guitar work and i really could hear it....it's very subtle...
I mean, it's not Slipknot, but the guitars are pretty powerful.

Okonkwo
12-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Jon M... tried online, but still couldn't find anything. Guess I wasn't looking in the right places... Anyway, I just went out and bought Amassakoul the other day. Very, very tasty, I must say.
And, Salif Keita is God (just thought I'd let everyone know...). Anyone who likes Malian music (or African music in general) MUST own at least "Soro", but most likely "Moffou" and "M'bemba" (his latest) too. Absolutely brilliant.

TalkingHead
12-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Jonm, you need to listen to Amadou Et Miriam- Dimanche a Bamako. You will love it. I have it uploaded if you want.

JonM
12-09-2005, 05:08 PM
I want! I've heard a couple of tracks and read LOTS of really positive reviews.

TalkingHead
12-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Gladly, it's simpyl super. Just give me your email (I would send it through AIM, but mine is dead)

JonM
12-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Gladly, it's simpyl super. Just give me your email (I would send it through AIM, but mine is dead)
jon@madvillain.com

How sweet is that?

TalkingHead
12-09-2005, 06:23 PM
@ madvillian? That's the most awesome thing ever.:lol: . Sent

And if anyone wants it, email me at mike.the.talking.head@gmail.com and I'll send it to you too.

JonM
12-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Got it! Thanks so much man.

TalkingHead
12-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Anytime :thumb:

i2 enegade
12-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Hey....umm this African World music sounds really interesting and I'd really like to check it out. If anyone is willing to send me anything over aim or email I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll also trade if you see anything in my collection that interests you.

aim- sp1ce cart
email-bsuperior2all@gmail.com

thanks!

JonM
12-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Oh man, TH, this record is amazing. I have to hit you back with Issa Bagayogo's newest record.

Okonkwo
12-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Does anyone here have the new Salif Keita album? I wants it so baaaad...

Bukowski
12-16-2005, 06:16 PM
I have a Tinariwen album on my computer, but i've still not listned to it. I must've downloaded it from one of the old YSI threads.

Anyway, you've got me interested. I'm gonna give it a listen, and i'll let you know what i think.

Kayetan
12-16-2005, 11:34 PM
My friend just sent me an Ali Farka Touré album. It's pretty amazing. Maybe you could send me one of your favorites over AIM sometime, jonm.

Okonkwo
12-17-2005, 06:02 PM
More excellence: Boubacar Traoré. Sort of in the same vain as Ali Farka Touré... meaning superb.

JonM
12-18-2005, 11:27 AM
My friend just sent me an Ali Farka Touré album. It's pretty amazing. Maybe you could send me one of your favorites over AIM sometime, jonm.
I could do that, or you could grab it on soulseek.

TalkingHead
12-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Tassoumakan was unbelievable JonM, simply fantastic. I recently picked up a Mali compilation by Putumayo,. Im pretty sure you've heard some of the tracks, but just in case, here's the tracklisiting, tell me if you want any. It's a really good mix.

1. Maninda - Moussa Diallo
2. Kanawa - Habib Koite And Bamada
3. Ouili Ka Bo - Idrissa Soumaoro
4. Bassa Kele - Mamou Sidibe
5. Bana - Issa Bagayogo
6. Amassakoul 'N' Tenere - Tinariwen
7. Gembi - Ramatou Diakite
8. Koulandian - Keletigui Diabate
9. Fala - Tom Diakite
10. Kanou - Boubacar Traore
11. Saramaya (Live) - Habib Koite & Bamada