PDA

View Full Version : Peavey - 215 Bass Cabinet

zero_or_die
10-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I recently aquired this bass cab, along with a Peavey Century Series 120 head (300 watts, 4 ohms), from a friend for free. He got it for free from his friend that used to play bass, but no longer does. I have no idea how much it originally costed, nor the wattage handling of the cab, as Peavey stopped making 215 cabs a few years ago, so if someone knows that information and could post it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I read the regulations, so I will mention that I have only been playing bass since the beginning of March, and I have only played on two amps. One is my 15 watt, the other was my friends Peavey TNT.

Now to the review. The bass cab is LOUD! Problems that I have faced are that when I turn the head up more than halfway (which literally rattles pictures off of the wall and will knock off anything on a shelf), the cab sometimes crackles. This is why I questioned about the wattage handling. As far as I know, it's 4 ohms, and that's the output on my head. Anyway, I read up that if you replace the subs with Eminence subs, the tone is amazing. That's where my money is going next. Other than that, the only problem with this cab is it's weight. Standing about about 3'6, you'll need two people to carry it. The sound that comes out is well worth it though. Definitely the best I've ever heard. It handles a wide range of frequencies just fine, except for super-highs, but I haven't heard an amp that handles those better, and besides, this is a bass amp. 4 out of 5 stars for this amp, simply because of the fact that the stock woofers could be a bit better. The rest of this cab is damn near perfect in my opinion.

EDIT: After disassembling the cab last night to sastify my curiousity about how it works, I saw that on the back of the woofers, it states that it has an impedance of 8 ohms. They were Peavey Black Widows, so I'm assuming that they were still stock, since it seemed that only one of them had been taken out previously (there was a stripped screw on the bottom one, but there was absolutely no damage to any of the top speakers, whereas almost all the bottom ones were a tiny bit scratched).

Here's a picture of it, little girl not included.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/soadordie/1.jpg

Radiobass81
10-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Is she your daughter/sister? :p

Nice review. I have a love or hate relationship with Peavey amps.

zero_or_die
10-20-2005, 08:11 PM
She's my sister. I'm only 16. If she was my daughter I'd probably have to get a job.

And thanks for the compliment.

Worrpigs
10-20-2005, 09:16 PM
dude that chick on your amp is a babe!!!
just kidding
nice amp, i love peavey cabs.

sixner
10-21-2005, 09:07 AM
i love peavey's :-D unforntunatley im selling mine to a fellow MX'er.. need the cash.

the review sounds good, ive seen a peavey 2x15 cab around at GC for under $300.. it was pretty torn up. i was tempted to buy it, but alas, had no cash at the time. oh well.. i'd rather a 4x10 and 1x15....

-Sixner

ziGGy-real
10-21-2005, 10:11 AM
nie amp. would love to get one.

zero_or_die
10-21-2005, 02:00 PM
I've only seen a couple of these amps on eBay that aren't totally torn up. Unfortunately mine is. It looks like it's been dropped a couple times. That's something that I may try to have fixed up in the long run, but I'm not sure. My first "to-do" is to put some Eminence subs into it. I was searching around on eBay last night for those (just because I'm cheap, and they are $130 a piece on MusiciansFriend.com), and I found a pair of brand new, still in the box, 400W handling 15" Eminence subs for $120. If I had the money, I would've gotten them.

If you like five year old little girls, I guess that's your thing...

enim
10-22-2005, 12:05 AM
I've only seen a couple of these amps on eBay that aren't totally torn up. Unfortunately mine is. It looks like it's been dropped a couple times. That's something that I may try to have fixed up in the long run, but I'm not sure. My first "to-do" is to put some Eminence subs into it. I was searching around on eBay last night for those (just because I'm cheap, and they are $130 a piece on MusiciansFriend.com), and I found a pair of brand new, still in the box, 400W handling 15" Eminence subs for $120. If I had the money, I would've gotten them.

If you like five year old little girls, I guess that's your thing...

They arent subs. They are simply woofers, or speakers. Subwoofers have a lower frequence range then woofers. If you had subwoofers in a bass cab, there would be very little treble, if any.

zero_or_die
10-22-2005, 04:33 PM
That would explain a lot of questions I had about those. Is that also why there are little speakers on the back of the woofers that you can see when you take them out? (I got curious last night and took out the woofers) Also, are the woofers in a speaker system (that includes a midrange, tweeter, and in some, a super-tweeter) subs? I figure they are, since in that situation, they have no need for trebel in the woofer. Just the voice coil moving in and out to move the woofer.

Sorry that I've somewhat turned this review into a small conversation about the anatomy of speakers. My dad and I were talking about it last night, and I still have a couple questions.

Led_Zeppelin678
10-22-2005, 05:25 PM
I

HATE

Peavey bass amps.

sixxbassist90
10-22-2005, 05:27 PM
dude that chick on your amp is a babe!!!
just kidding
nice amp, i love peavey cabs.
Pedophile!

pitchfork
10-25-2005, 02:50 PM
I

HATE

Peavey bass amps.
Why would you hate something so awesome sounding, reliable, cheap, well thought out etc.