PDA

View Full Version : Well I just saw U2 on monday....

areyouexperienced
10-19-2005, 06:09 PM
and I have to say I was blown away. They are just amazing in concert and I am definently going to see them again:thumb: Now to make this thread have a point... I was curious of how to get a similar fat sound out of my strat as the edge does on the solo in bullet the blue sky (not the album version, maybe the live version from U2 Go Home) and that nice distortion in the chorus of Elevation (once again the live version from Go Home)

brood
10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
you're joking?

Tom
10-19-2005, 06:14 PM
They were good in with Joshua tree, then they sucked.

Papa Shank
10-19-2005, 06:16 PM
To get a fat sound you must first realise it takes a fat man to sound fat.

Now be on your way young adventrurer, may god guide your way.

areyouexperienced
10-19-2005, 06:26 PM
you're joking?

no not really... and thanks for all your help so far:rolleyes:

naw mean mang?
10-19-2005, 06:39 PM
wow what a boring show. bono sounds like hes always moaning when he sings.

areyouexperienced
10-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Well that's your opinion and it still hasn't helped me get an answer to my question

Animus Light
10-19-2005, 06:46 PM
The Edge has such a cool style. Dream Theater rips him quite often. :)

In any case... No idea how to get a fat tone out of a strat. o_O I'd be more intersted in getting his chorus/delay clean tone... The one that JP ripped off for Lifting Shadows Off A Dream.

areyouexperienced
10-19-2005, 06:48 PM
well i know he uses a korg sdd-3000 for that nice delay

americanfootball
10-19-2005, 06:49 PM
The Edge is definitely one of those "tone comes from the fingers" types.

Timm
10-19-2005, 06:53 PM
his 1981 rig according to guitargeek looks quite humble

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/594/

btw aren't tickets for u2 fukking expensive?

areyouexperienced
10-19-2005, 06:56 PM
I got some for $50 each...but trust me, his rig has grown since '81. He has like 48 pedals plus a ton of rack gear and alot of guitars

areyouexperienced
10-20-2005, 08:03 PM
bump... c'mon guys a little help

RandyRhoads5150
10-20-2005, 08:09 PM
u2 owns most of the stuff you guys listen to thanks

unclebobscircus
10-20-2005, 08:13 PM
The Edge is such an awesome guitarist. I still hate anything U2's done since around 1990 or so just because they've reduced it to a formula instead of an original song, but the Edge just has such a distinctive style that you just immediately recognize his playing.

TheSpokenWheel
10-20-2005, 08:18 PM
and I have to say I was blown away. They are just amazing in concert and I am definently going to see them again:thumb: Now to make this thread have a point... I was curious of how to get a similar fat sound out of my strat as the edge does on the solo in bullet the blue sky (not the album version, maybe the live version from U2 Go Home) and that nice distortion in the chorus of Elevation (once again the live version from Go Home)
he usually uses a delay pedals, sometimes two at a time. Im not sure about the distortion though

unclebobscircus
10-20-2005, 08:18 PM
All I know is that he sets the delay in sync with the song.

areyouexperienced
10-20-2005, 08:51 PM
yeah i know, he uses 2 delays... one more of a slapback to add to his sound, the other ping pong

AvantGardeMercenary
10-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Well I just saw U2 on monday....

My first thought: "Poor guy..."

I honestly expected to read some sad story about him being dragged to this lameass display of musical degeneracy by his pockmarked stuck-in-the-90s hipster girlfriend or something...

My thought after reading the post: "Stupid guy..."

When will people learn? Bad music sucks. Stop liking it. :thumb:

areyouexperienced
10-20-2005, 08:58 PM
what is with you people bashing u2... i mean if you can't even answer the question, then don't bother posting

Blue Moon
10-20-2005, 09:12 PM
try an EQ different pickupo settings...

+ im not a fan of u2 at all, + im irish so that makes it ok :D

poita
10-20-2005, 09:45 PM
you're joking?
They were good in with Joshua tree, then they sucked.
To get a fat sound you must first realise it takes a fat man to sound fat.

Now be on your way young adventrurer, may god guide your way.
wow what a boring show. bono sounds like hes always moaning when he sings.

I honestly expected to read some sad story about him being dragged to this lameass display of musical degeneracy by his pockmarked stuck-in-the-90s hipster girlfriend or something...

You are all ignorant.

TS. For fat distortion on a single coil, try using a reasonable amount of gain and EQ settings something like 8-4-7 maybe. I haven't heard the live versions so I can't comment much sorry.

Kirk's Puppet
10-20-2005, 10:16 PM
His latest rig is in one of the recent Guitar World columns with him in it. But I'm lazy to check because I think U2 sucks.

lionelhutz88
10-20-2005, 10:17 PM
You are all ignorant.

TS. For fat distortion on a single coil, try using a reasonable amount of gain and EQ settings something like 8-4-7 maybe. I haven't heard the live versions so I can't comment much sorry.

why, because they have an opinion different from you makes them ignorant?

AvantGardeMercenary
10-20-2005, 10:23 PM

:lol:

High five. :wave:

OldBobScoo
10-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Check out Sepultura's cover of Bullet the Blue Sky, its awsome i think.

primal9
10-20-2005, 10:56 PM

probably not because of that.. their comments seemed pretty ignorant, and pointless. just a way to feel better about themselves.

i, personally, am not a fan of U2, and still thought their comments were as ignorant as it gets.

poita
10-20-2005, 11:36 PM

No...

1. Their opinions may be unnecessarily offensive to others, in fact probably were very offensive to others.
2. This thread has nothing to do with opinions.
3. The threadstarter asked a question and what they said has nothing to do with it.

So, those comments were just pointless, offensive, spam. If you read the forum rules (or just have any common sense whatsoever) then you'll notice that pointless, offensive, spam is just ignorant.

Music.is.Life
10-20-2005, 11:38 PM
For a fatter sound try boosting the mids quite a bit.

xhaereticusx
10-20-2005, 11:50 PM
No...

1. Their opinions may be unnecessarily offensive to others, in fact probably were very offensive to others.
2. This thread has nothing to do with opinions.
3. The threadstarter asked a question and what they said has nothing to do with it.

So, those comments were just pointless, offensive, spam. If you read the forum rules (or just have any common sense whatsoever) then you'll notice that pointless, offensive, spam is just ignorant.
Grow up.

poita
10-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Grow up.

You're right, it's wrong for someone to care, I'll do less of it in the future. :rolleyes:

AvantGardeMercenary
10-21-2005, 12:10 AM
You're right, it's wrong for someone to care, I'll do less of it in the future. :rolleyes:

I think what he meant was: "Don't be a douchebag." :)

poita
10-21-2005, 12:14 AM

Rich...

I'm going to stop arguing with you guys now as I'm being a hypocrit. Sorry TS.

Jandy
10-21-2005, 01:30 AM
U2's old sh.it = good
U2's new sh.it = sh.it

If you disagree you are stupid.

Amp'd
10-21-2005, 03:03 AM
i disagree

DanDan
10-21-2005, 09:59 AM

you're such a bad ass

you must get lots of chicks and have lots of friends

Shadows Within
10-21-2005, 10:04 AM
wow thats really sad if you call him a douchebag.

this place seems to begoing to hell with all the n00bs on...or atleast when i am on this forum.

AvantGardeMercenary
10-21-2005, 10:08 AM
you're such a bad ass

you must get lots of chicks and have lots of friends

Essentially.

AvantGardeMercenary
10-21-2005, 10:12 AM
wow thats really sad if you call him a douchebag.

this place seems to begoing to hell with all the n00bs on...or atleast when i am on this forum.

Join dates do not denote ability to convey opinions and converse with supposed "peers". And are those not the only skills employed on this, our most glorious internet forum? Try not to tout seniority around as if it matters, because it doesn't.

Shadows Within
10-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Join dates do not denote ability to convey opinions and converse with supposed "peers". And are those not the only skills employed on this, our most glorious internet forum? Try not to tout seniority around as if it matters, because it doesn't.
i dont care about join date/post count, only noobs are that arrogant if you dont have anything to help with this guy dont bash him for liking U2. Trust me im no fan of them either, a couple months ago Edge was on guitar world and I was saying the same Shit your saying now...but then I learned to keep my opinions to myself.

Timm
10-21-2005, 10:27 AM
...but then I learned to keep my opinions to myself.
nah that's not right either

the point is just that noone asked for opinions on U2 in this thread and everybody who said "I like U2", "U2 is shit" contributed nothing to the thread plus all those opinions came across in a pretty childish and ignorant way

on the other hand it's just the internet...:lol:

AvantGardeMercenary
10-21-2005, 10:41 AM
nah that's not right either

the point is just that noone asked for opinions on U2 in this thread and everybody who said "I like U2", "U2 is shit" contributed nothing to the thread plus all those opinions came across in a pretty childish and ignorant way

on the other hand it's just the internet...:lol:

True enough. Lesson learned.

madcuttlefish
10-21-2005, 11:48 AM
I like U2. Not keen on the new album though. I know that he's been using the Line 6 Distortion Modeller recently so that probably plays a part in his sound. The fat sound is probably some kind of stereo delay pedal with one side dry and the other side with a very short delay.

Cool Beans
10-21-2005, 11:49 AM
In reply to threadstarters original question, Edge may actually be using stacked humbuckers on his strat like Yngwie does..

Ephemeral
10-21-2005, 11:57 AM
He uses the Line 6 distortion modeler and POD XT Pro for his distortions.

Alive
10-21-2005, 12:34 PM
I saw Fozzy last night. You'd think they would be shit but they were amazing.

Jack Daniels
10-21-2005, 01:30 PM
i saw them in july, they were good in the beginning, but then it got borring, because all their songs sounds the same, and bono started preaching about poor people in africa blahblahblah.. It was okay, but im not going to see them again.

areyouexperienced
10-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Wow my thread just turned into a spam thread.... Thanks to those who actually tried to answer the question

Axe
10-21-2005, 04:52 PM
you're joking?
you're gay?

u2 rock,i saw them in dublin during the summer.
the edges tone blew me away,it sounds so good live :)
he uses line six distortion and delay methinks.

areyouexperienced
10-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeah I'm thinking about getting that distortion modeler, seems pretty cool, but the edge has a custom bersion that holds like 100 banks or something

Mild_child
10-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Turn up the lo mids?

/lame

areyouexperienced
10-21-2005, 07:37 PM
damn, i wish i could get a dm4 pro... but they're one of a kind :(

madcuttlefish
10-22-2005, 05:20 AM
Yeah I'm thinking about getting that distortion modeler, seems pretty cool, but the edge has a custom bersion that holds like 100 banks or somethingYeah, he got a rack version custom made for him by Line 6 as he liked the DM-4 so much but didn't like the fact that he could only hold four presets on it. He ended up having like 657828752 different modellers so he asked Line 6 to make him a rackmount so he only had to use one.

Aha, just found a link to the story...

http://line6.com/news/general/122

poita
10-22-2005, 05:28 AM
you're gay?

u2 rock,i saw them in dublin during the summer.
the edges tone blew me away,it sounds so good live :)
he uses line six distortion and delay methinks.

Wasn't the Dublin show the one that sold out in like 2 minutes?

madcuttlefish
10-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Wasn't the Dublin show the one that sold out in like 2 minutes?I'd imagine so seeing as it is like their home town.

poita
10-22-2005, 05:33 AM
I'd imagine so seeing as it is like their home town.

Yeah that's what I thought. Would cost an arm and a leg (and possibly even a head) to get in I'd imagine.