PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Female Rocker(s)?

El_Goodo
10-19-2005, 12:11 PM
So who's everyones favourite Female rocker/musician? Avril? Ashlee? Chantel? Sheryl? etc...

My favourite is definetlely Sherly Crow. She's a really great singer! She can strum the acoustic good enough for her needs. And she actually has some nice sounding lead guitar in some of her songs. Also her songs are catchy, but also have a little bit of a rock edge to them. And again with her voice she can sing soft and sweetly, or she can get loud and more rockish. Also she writes her songs :)

And you have to sing along with some of her songs (Soak Up The Sun, If it makes you happy). And her cover of Sweet Child Of Mine is better than the original! (I don't care for Axl's singing).

kurrpt
10-19-2005, 12:14 PM
i personally despise avril!

and just about any pop female star. Some of their videos look good on MUTE though :thumb:

repcak
10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
WTH....?

You are in a Rock&Metal forum and you're talking about avril lavigne and sheryl crow...!!!

Go to the POP-Forum... thats the wrong place :evil:

El_Goodo
10-19-2005, 12:20 PM
WTH....?

You are in a Rock&Metal forum and you're talking about avril lavigne and sheryl crow...!!!

I forgot there's no such thing as women with talent in the music industry. Im ..Im sorry.

I would actually put Sherly Crow under Alternative Rock. I didnt talk about Avril I just suggested her name...it wasnt very seriously either. Did you know there's actually women who write there own music and play there own instruments.

Ah..just thought of another girl I like, and I may be the only one. But I like Courtney Love...I like her voice, she's one of the few Women who really have a hard rock voice.

Kronos
10-19-2005, 12:22 PM
TARJA! TARJA!
/repeat

repcak
10-19-2005, 12:30 PM
I forgot there's no such thing as women with talent in the music industry. Im ..Im sorry.

I would actually put Sherly Crow under Alternative Rock. I didnt talk about Avril I just suggested her name...it wasnt very seriously either. Did you know there's actually women who write there own music and play there own instruments.

Ah..just thought of another girl I like, and I may be the only one. But I like Courtney Love...I like her voice, she's one of the few Women who really have a hard rock voice.

courtney love will pass the category Rock, but not the other one... Alternative rock!? -> INDIE forum

Alternative & Indie (http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)

El_Goodo
10-19-2005, 12:30 PM
I also have one more! The singer from Tsunami Bomb...I dont know her name though.

El_Goodo
10-19-2005, 12:32 PM
courtney love will pass the category Rock, but not the other one... Alternative rock!? -> INDIE forum

Alternative & Indie (http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)

Whatever...go listen to your sausagefest of music!

Lord Abortion
10-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Tarja from Nightwish rules and Angela Gossow is alright

Walrus Gumboot
10-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Grace Slick

Janis (not so much)

Joss Stone

Myself

Jude
10-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Grace Slick ftw

repcak
10-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Whatever...go listen to your sausagefest of music!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kronos
10-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Oh yeah - I forgot Floor from After Forever; she can really sing too - big time!

Not as hot as Tarja in the looks dept. tho'

temporary
10-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Tori Amos. I've come to the conclusion that Little Earthquakes is one of the best albums I've ever heard by a singer/songwriter, and although she's been quite erratic over her career, overall she still wins. Other than that, Tarja Turunen from Nightwish, purely because I'm really digging them at the moment and her voice goes really well with power metal.

Amos is definitly an unsung genious. Her voice is just beautiful. Tarja is amazing, too. Grace Slick and Janis Joplin are a step above the rest, though.

Glitterati
10-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Patti Smith. 'Nuff said.

Jude
10-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Patti Smith. 'Nuff said.
GTFO. I can't stand her crap.

Shadows Within
10-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Tarja, Simon Simone from Epica (she did really good with Kamelot) and the girl from after forever......who would dare put avril and ashlee in the R&M section unless its to make fun of them?

dear god i hope you dident just call them talented...

Kronos
10-19-2005, 02:13 PM
GTFO. I can't stand her crap.
Or her singing

PepsiMetal
10-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Sheryl Crow is pretty good, nothing amazing though. Actually I have yet to hear a female rocker that's amazing. Evanescence is probably the only band I can stand that has a female vocalist.

crag
10-19-2005, 02:25 PM
i say Tarja from Nightwish

she's the only female Metal person i can think of:upset:

Shattered_Future
10-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Tarja Turunen - Nightwish
Floor Jansen - After Forever
Anneke Van Ginesburg - The Gathering
Cristina Scabbia - Lacuna Coil :naughty:

Shadows Within
10-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Tarja Turunen - Nightwish
Floor Jansen - After Forever
Anneke Van Ginesburg - The Gathering
Cristina Scabbia - Lacuna Coil :naughty:
jansen.......wonder if shes realted to the guitarist in epica...

Whale and Wasp
10-19-2005, 02:49 PM
myself :lol:

ZaaR
10-19-2005, 02:54 PM
There's this band that I saw the other day at the Day of the Equinox called Unexpect, and they had this amazing girl singer. She like sang in an opera style, but she had one of the best voices I've ever heard.

Static
10-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Singer of Nightwish and Tori Amos.

DeusExMachina
10-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Tori Amos. I've come to the conclusion that Little Earthquakes is one of the best albums I've ever heard by a singer/songwriter, and although she's been quite erratic over her career, overall she still wins. Other than that, Tarja Turunen from Nightwish, purely because I'm really digging them at the moment and her voice goes really well with power metal. Sheryl Crow isn't bad actually...I don't exactly listen to her regularly, but she's quite a good songwriter.
Tori Amos is amazing.

Not really rock/metal really, but I also am a huge fan of Norah Jones.

Det_Nosnip
10-19-2005, 03:15 PM
jansen.......wonder if shes realted to the guitarist in epica...

As far as I know, Floor and Mark are not related, they just happen to share the same last name. However, Mark Jansen WAS originally in After Forever, before leaving to form Epica.

Highvoltage, people are not flaming you because you're arguing for female rockers. This thread has actually been done to death, and there are plenty of us who like female musicians. It's the fact that you picked such BAD ones.

Sheryl Crow isn't horrible, but she isn't spectacular, either.

Anyways, my pick is Anneke Van Giersbergen from the Gathering. They're my all-time favorite band, and she is really incredible.

Det_Nosnip
10-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Tori Amos. I've come to the conclusion that Little Earthquakes is one of the best albums I've ever heard by a singer/songwriter, and although she's been quite erratic over her career, overall she still wins. Other than that, Tarja Turunen from Nightwish, purely because I'm really digging them at the moment and her voice goes really well with power metal. Sheryl Crow isn't bad actually...I don't exactly listen to her regularly, but she's quite a good songwriter.

In what way is Amos erratic? I know that she's experimented alot, but thus far I've been pretty consistently impressed with what she's done.

Little Earthquakes is overdone, though. It's a phenomenal album, but it seems like it's the only one that anyone ever talks about around here. IMO Boys for Pele is as good if not better in certain aspects. It's alot more daring and ballsy, and almost completely uncommercial, which is great...I absolutely love "Blood Roses," "Professional Widow," and "Father Lucifer."

Jev
10-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Musically-Tara from Nightwish
Favourite ":naughty:" Favourite: Gwen Stefani :upset:
God I feel dirty.

dylweed
10-19-2005, 03:42 PM
ann and nancy wilson(heart) are simply amazing, not only the best female rockers ever, but one of the best rock bands ever. i also like patti smith and chrissy hind(e)? from the pretenders is really good and sheryl is alright.

PinkZeppelin27
10-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Stevie Nicks anybody?

Not really a hard rocker voice but one of the few female vocalists I can stand. She's a pretty good song writer too. I like her work in Fleetwood Mac the best.

Kronos
10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Stevie Nicks anybody?

Not really a hard rocker voice but one of the few female vocalists I can stand. She's a pretty good song writer too. I like her work in Fleetwood Mac the best.
Yeah, she does have a good, throaty voice. Her solo material sucks real bad tho' (imo)

Pinhead13
10-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Tina Weymouth...

Crysiss
10-19-2005, 04:31 PM
WTH....?

I dont think hes asking for the females that he listed. just a female rocker. but the girl in the band daysend is pretty hot

PinkZeppelin27
10-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Yeah, she does have a good, throaty voice. Her solo material sucks real bad tho' (imo)

I agree to some extent. Some of her solo stuff is alright, I don't think it's anything amazing, but it's alright. Her material in Fleetwood Mac is much better.

south_guitar
10-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy is just about the only female band member that I respect. She has a great metal voice. The vocalist from Walls of Jericho isn't bad.

Shadows Within
10-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy is just about the only female band member that I respect. She has a great metal voice. The vocalist from Walls of Jericho isn't bad.
gah i cant stand those kind of vocals

the girl from sinergy isint bad i love that song shadow island.

temporary
10-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Although she's not Rock, I noticed Dar Williams hasn't been mention. Does she have any fans on here?

studmuffin
10-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Ann Wilson of Heart (the big one) .......best female rock voice ever.

IbanezSamurai
10-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Liz Phair

Vanhalen234
10-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Not rock, but Ella Fitzgerald. And Sarah Ruba, singer for Flattstreet, a jazz rock band from Hamilton, Ontario. www.flattstreet.ca.

Walrus Gumboot
10-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Rock/Metal is such a boy's club

As soon as you have a girl in your band it's a gimmick or something. Baarrhg. The only bands I listen to that have female instrumentalists only got in because they married the keyboardist

Hells Bells
10-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Angela Gassow (Arch Enemy) - better than many of her male counterparts IMO, great enunciation and her style varies to fit the song
Tarja Turunen (Nightwish) - incredible operatic voice, and she sings very artistically
Floor Jensen (After Forever) - awesome classical vocals, and can belt out a Bruce Dickinson line dead on.
Kim Goss (Sinergy) - instead of using classical vocals like many metal female singers, she uses a powerful vocal style that fits in well with the energy of the music.

musicanity
10-19-2005, 10:12 PM
nightwish - Tarja
arch enemy - Angela Glossgow
otep - Otep Shamaya
dark moore - ?
after forever - Floor Jensen
lacuna coil - Christina Scabbia
those are my favorites, the thread starter seems to be in the wrong forum or site......

Phobophile
10-19-2005, 10:16 PM
I guess this would be a good time to ask,does anyone have the Tori Amos cover of Raining Blood?

Det_Nosnip
10-19-2005, 10:17 PM
I thought that The Beekeeper wasn't anywhere near as interesting as some of her earlier work. It was an OK album, but nothing better than average, when she's capable of so much more than that. Strange Little Girls was a bloody amazing concept, but I'm not sure if it worked over the whole album. Bits of it were completely incredible, but other songs on there really didn't do anything for me. Boys for Pele is the only other album by her that really rivals Little Earthquakes. The way that she brought in loads of other instruments really advanced her sound, and I'd say that's another 4.5/5 album. Other than though, I'd say her albums are average to good, without being great.

Eh, fair enough.

Illmatic
10-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Kim Gordon. Her material for Sonic Youth isn't quite as good as Lee Ranaldo's or Thurston Moore's, but when she does kind of 'lighter stuff' ("Cross the Breeze", "Star Power") it's still really good.

Det_Nosnip
10-19-2005, 10:29 PM
I guess this would be a good time to ask,does anyone have the Tori Amos cover of Raining Blood?
Yep. Want it?

Phobophile
10-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Yep. Want it?

Absolutely. That would be much appreciated. AIM=Dabassmachine MSN=O2waster420@hotmail.com. Your choice :) Or here I guess even

(Disclaimer:hotmail address was created during a young and confused age,to lazy to change)

JohnXDoesn't
10-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Patti Smith
Courtney Love
Brody from the Distillers
Chrissie Hynde
Kim Deal
L7 (RIP)
Exene Cervenka
The Go -Go's
PJ Harvey
Liz Phair
The Bangles (believe it or not)
Sinead 'O Conner
Fiona Apple (although I'm not sure if she is a "rocker")

PinkZeppelin27
10-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey Da Machine, I love your avatar dude. Everytime I see one of your posts I wind up watching it for like 10 minutes. What is that from?

I'm Charming
10-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil. Traja from Nightwish has a amazing voice but I don't listen to nightwish though.

Phobophile
10-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Hey Da Machine, I love your avatar dude. Everytime I see one of your posts I wind up watching it for like 10 minutes. What is that from?

I actually don't know haha. A friend sent it to me through IM and then a kind person in the Avatar Request Thread made the proper adjustments for me. The full version is much funnier because the black cat sits there and bats it's arm's like a boxer for about 10 seconds before getting nailed.

Glad you like it. :) (Animals=audio ecstacy ;))

rata
10-20-2005, 12:53 AM
Skin(Skunk Anansie)
Sandra Nasic(Guano Apes)
Bjork
Fiona Apple
Tori Amos
Courtney Love(Hole)
Tarja Turunen(nightwish)
Sinead O'Connor
Janis Joplin
Pat Benatar

there's to many great female singers outthere but

bjork and natalie merchant are no doubt two of the greatest lyricist

blue3
10-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Myself
Hah yeah that. And Janis Joplin.

I didn't like Sheryl Crow's cover of SCOM.

Cipher Hour
10-20-2005, 02:30 AM
Janis Joplin I guess. To tell you the truth, I really don't listen to a lot of female artists/bands/bands with females in them. As far as female vocalists go, well, I don't like female vocalists. And none of the female instrumentalists (as talented as some of them are) impress me that much either. Rock and metal is a man's world, I guess.

Violent_Bill
10-20-2005, 02:31 AM
Patti Smith, PJ Harvey, Kim Deal.

Dannyboy15
10-20-2005, 03:18 AM
Liv Kristine

Epicurus
10-20-2005, 03:44 AM
Angela Gossow!

antiant
10-20-2005, 03:50 AM
my ruin - tarrie b.
OTEP - otep shamaya
arch enemey - angela gossow (only in small doses/if the mood strikes)
fiona apple

Walrus Gumboot
10-20-2005, 07:40 AM
Sometimes I forget how amazing Bjork is, she is probably my favorite female vocalist, but I can't say that she is really a "rocker"

Drone
10-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Angela Gossow and Tarja. :D

-The Frank
10-20-2005, 08:05 AM
the iron maidens

Shadows Within
10-20-2005, 08:06 AM
i think you can find it at http://www.ebaumsworld.com and search funny videos cat fight...ill try to find it.

Jackle Chan da man
10-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Ella Hooper of killing heidi

36Dritzlfists
10-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Sharon den Adel from Within Temptation. Not only does see have a great voice, but she is the most amazingly beautiful of all female rockers. She is hands down the hottest of all females. Another notable female singer is
Ally French from Bloodlined Calligraphy. She sounds like the chick from Walls of Jericho but more clear.

Bartender
10-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Staying within the 'rocker' boundary;

- Wata (guitarist for Boris), because she's a really good guitarist (all around). Great in a 'traditional' kind of playing, and she also has great control over drone, feedback and silence.

- Tina Weymouth (bassist for the Talking Heads) because the bass is a big enough part of them to be considered great, and they're an excellent band.

moaner
10-20-2005, 09:15 AM
What's the opposite of Brodie Dahl?

That.

PinkZeppelin27
10-20-2005, 09:43 AM
(Animals=audio ecstacy ;))

:lol: Definitely

i think you can find it at http://www.ebaumsworld.com and search funny videos cat fight...ill try to find it.

Oh ok thanks man. I go there quite a bit I've just never run across that one.

Shadows Within
10-20-2005, 09:44 AM

i looked its not there but i know iv seen it on that stupid show with bob saget and on the internet i forget where though.

PinkZeppelin27
10-20-2005, 09:57 AM
i looked its not there but i know iv seen it on that stupid show with bob saget and on the internet i forget where though.

Oh well. Thanks for lookin man.

Rage_Against_The_PC
10-20-2005, 10:27 AM
The worst would be the lead singer of that rubbish pop/punk band * The Fight*

I like avril i admit but i also think amy lee from evenesence is good as well

Det_Nosnip
10-20-2005, 11:13 AM

As a point of irony, isn't that the cover for the Pink Floyd album, "Animals," which also happens to be audio ecstacy?

Britton
10-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Tarja...and maybe vixon...but they are kinda old and prolly not girls anymore

i am the robots
10-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Tarja Turunen up until she turned out to be a total bitch.

Britton
10-29-2005, 11:54 PM
What did she do?

i am the robots
10-30-2005, 12:07 AM
What did she do?

Be a total bitch to the rest of the band and get kicked out.

Britton
10-30-2005, 12:07 AM
What singer doesn't?

Det_Nosnip
10-30-2005, 12:14 AM
That's their side of the story, at least.

Britton
10-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Yea we want to hear what Tarja has to say (who wouln't)