PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan

fretfriend
10-19-2005, 12:17 AM
He is labled one of the best poets of all time if you have anything more to say plz do. I want to know all about him.

Merridew
10-19-2005, 01:36 AM
listen to Hurricane by him, its amazing, not to mention a true story too

JonM
10-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Yup. He's good.

Glitterati
10-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Uh, fanboy here?

In my opinion, he's tied with The Beatles for greatest songwriter of 20th century. His lyrics are so stunningly real. Everything makes so much sense and is so relevent.

And he's got so many great songs. Mississipi, Tangled Up In Blue, Blowin' In The Wind, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), Masters Of War, Bob Dylan's 115th dream, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, If Not For You, Hurricane, I Shall Be Released, Gotta Serve Somebody....

He's amazing. He seems so humble, too. Cool guy. One of my biggest role models.

thickasabrick
10-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah Bob Dylan is definitely (in mine and many other peoples opinion) the greatest songwriter of all time. I'm listening to him right now actually. If you haven't heard the song The Times They Are A-Changin', I suggest you listen to it. He is amazing.

Gypsy Campervan
10-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Anyone what 'No Direction Home?' He seemed really fake.

Broken Arrow
10-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Why is that?

thickasabrick
10-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Really fake? Bob Dylan?

robo2448
10-19-2005, 08:34 PM
If you want some background info on him, I wrote a profile for another site a while ago that might help a little- http://entertainmentforums.greatboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=221

Reading it again, it's not very good but it should give you some info. His book, Chronicles Vol, 1, and No Direction Home (the DVD) are awesome. And then you get to the music. I'd get Highway 61 first if I was you, even though I prefer Blood on the Tracks. Highway 61 is a great introductory album.

thickasabrick
10-19-2005, 09:44 PM
I also suggest Blood on the Tracks for an introductory album.

rockinbass17
10-20-2005, 10:08 PM
And he's got so many great songs. Mississipi, Tangled Up In Blue, Blowin' In The Wind, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), Masters Of War, Bob Dylan's 115th dream, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, If Not For You, Hurricane, I Shall Be Released, Gotta Serve Somebody....

Those songs give me chills every time I listen to them. They back up the claim that he is the lyrical master.

My favorite part of "No Direction Home" was when you see him taking pictures of the journalists. Quite funny.

Daniel!
10-20-2005, 10:18 PM
My favorite part of "No Direction Home" was when you see him taking pictures of the journalists. Quite funny.

That's actually from another documentary called Don't Look Back, which I recommend to all Bob fans.

Kurtz
10-20-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm really starting to get into him, mainly because of No Direction Home.

He's incredible.

I bought Highway 61 Revisited as my introductory album, I can't put my hands down on it. My dad's a huge fan, so I'm gonna ask him for recommendations for Bob too.

Ishy
10-20-2005, 10:50 PM
hes so awesome man i enjoy every bit of his music his song "Like a Rolling Stone" is so real so original

novembercocaine
10-20-2005, 11:48 PM
he is awesome, he gave the beatles marijuana

Robert Crumb
10-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Bob Dylan beat up Batman in hand-to-hand combat.

Walrus Gumboot
10-21-2005, 08:49 AM
A few minutes ago I was in a state of hypnosis from Desolation Row

I always took him for granted, but now I see the light

robo2448
10-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Anyone in here like Love And Theft? It's from 2001, but it's still an excellent album. I own No Direction Home, I feel like watching it again sometime this weekend.

Ulysses
10-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Great lyricist, great ability to tell stories, he influenced the Beatles and they influenced him, he got them into marijuana. They were into Purple Hearts and the like and he said marijuana was better because it was natural. They soon changed their mentality in regards to the drug. John Lennon was stoned when he wound the tapes on backwards and produced the song Rain. Very nice.

Glitterati
10-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Anyone in here like Love And Theft? It's from 2001, but it's still an excellent album. I own No Direction Home, I feel like watching it again sometime this weekend.

Love & Theft is great.

masada
10-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Bob Dylan is God (sorry Med, you're close). The No Direction Home documentary definately made me respect the man even more, and he truly is a wonderful figure to watch as he performs in concert. I love how he leans sideways towards the microphone with a blank expression on his face, and just everything about him. I'm obsessive now.

Ned
10-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Blood on the Tracks is actually a mediocre Dylan album, certainly no better than the one that immediately preceded it, Planet Waves, and clearly inferior to the one that immediately succeeded it, Desire. This is what happened: Dylan left for Columbia Records for Asylum Records. In 1974 Dylan embarked on his first concert tour in eight years just as he was about to release his first Asylum album, Planet Waves. Naturally the tour made a big media splash, cover of Time Magazine, etc. Columbia retaliated by getting the jump on Planet Waves with a Dylan album called A Fool Such as I assembled from refuse left in the studio vaults and released without Dylan's consent and in direct competition with Planet Waves. Time Magazine and pretty much the rest of the media were fooled. They reviewed A Fool Such as I assuming it to be the real new Dylan album, initially neglecting Planet Waves, a neglect from which it never fully recovered. A Fool Such as I was simply dreadful, and Blood on the Tracks seemed in comparison a great relief. It's significant that Dylan never mentions it in Chronicles. In order to avoid more Columbia retaliation Dylan returned to his old label and Columbia gave his first return release, Blood on the Tracks, a great promotional push--and again the media sheep fell in line.

The greatest Dylan album by far--his masterpiece--is Blonde on Blonde. An often neglected very good Dylan album is New Morning (which Dylan does mention, at length, in Chronicles). Time Out of Mind is one of his very worst.

robo2448
10-22-2005, 08:16 PM
well hello opinions how are you today well not so good in fact ned has decided he doesnt want me hed rather have the facts instead :(

I agree with you that Time Out of Mind is an excellent album. Dylan has released some bad albums, but Time Out of Mind is not one of them. I really love that album, and think it's better than Love And Theft.

Blood on the Tracks is my favorite, but that's just my opinion.

I'd say bad Dylan albums are- Self Portrait, Street Legal, Saved, Shot of Love, Knocked Out Loaded, and Empire Burlesque. He has a few other albums that aren't great, but aren't bad. And then they're some that are rated as bad but I enjoy, like Dylan and the Dead.

Ned
10-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Blood on the Tracks is my favorite, but that's just my opinion. If you were the only one saying this and the others saying it were not obviously saying it for the reasons I've outlined above, I would find it much easier to believe you. I'm inclined to believe, rather, that you heard or read that it's supposed to be your favorite.

I'd say bad Dylan albums are- Self Portrait, Street Legal, Saved, Shot of Love...Knocked Out Loaded Self Portrait is intentionally bad, and then we have the "born again" phase. I'll give you Street Legal, although it has one song approximately equal to any song on Blood on the Tracks (which, by the bye, is probably a record for worst name for a record).

Ned
10-23-2005, 03:10 AM
I agree with you that Time Out of Mind is an excellent album.And Time Out of Mind should win an award for "most gratuitous abuse of echo". None of the "musicians" seem to have the vaguest notion where one is. Another big promotional push for the sheep.

Bartender
10-23-2005, 03:42 AM
I like The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan the most so far, actually.

Ulysses
10-23-2005, 03:55 AM
I quite like Blood on the Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited is solid but in my opinion maybe a touch overated. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan is a great album also. I've got Street Legal on vinyl, can't say I'm a huge fan although "Changing of the Guards" is alright.

thickasabrick
10-23-2005, 06:36 PM
My Top 6 Dylan albums in any sort of order:

Blood on the Tracks
Blonde on Blonde
Bringin' It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisted
The Freewheelin Bob Dylan.
The Time's They Are A-Changin'

edit- Now that I look at this, I put it in quasi-alphabetical order without even noticing.

robo2448
10-23-2005, 07:28 PM
If you were the only one saying this and the others saying it were not obviously saying it for the reasons I've outlined above, I would find it much easier to believe you. I'm inclined to believe, rather, that you heard or read that it's supposed to be your favorite.

Self Portrait is intentionally bad, and then we have the "born again" phase. I'll give you Street Legal, although it has one song approximately equal to any song on Blood on the Tracks (which, by the bye, is probably a record for worst name for a record).

Well I own at least 19 Dylan albums and I've heard pretty much album he's ever recorded, so yeah, I think you're wrong when you say that I've never heard it. That's a pretty dumb assumption to make. I know Self Portrait was intentionally bad, but that doesn't excuse it from being a bad album. He just made it to get the media and fans off of his back. And the "Christian" albums are definitely not purposely bad. It's just a different sound for him that I don't really enjoy.

I don't really care what your opinion is about Blood on the Tracks, I'm just saying it's my favorite Dylan album. It's only an opinion Jeez. And stop trying to shove your opinion down my throat.

Kurtz
10-25-2005, 12:26 AM
Okay, so I love Highway 61. Where should I go now? Further into his less folk stuff like Blood on the Tracks, or his more traditional sound such as Bringing it all Back Home and The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan?

Glitterati
10-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Okay, so I love Highway 61. Where should I go now? Further into his less folk stuff like Blood on the Tracks, or his more traditional sound such as Bringing it all Back Home and The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan?

If you like Highway, check out Blood On The Tracks, and maybe Blonde On Blonde.

robo2448
10-25-2005, 02:53 PM

Blonde On Blonde is the album most similar to Highway 61. Bringing It All BAck Home is half acoustic, half electric, so it's a good way to get into his acoustic stuff. Both albums are brilliant, I'd just buy whichever is cheaper. As I already said, Blood on the Tracks is my personal favorite, but those 2 albums along with Highway 61 are probably easier for somebody new to Dylan to get into.

Ned
10-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Well I own at least 19 Dylan albums and I've heard pretty much album he's ever recorded, so yeah, I think you're wrong when you say that I've never heard it. That's a pretty dumb assumption to make.

Come again? I never asserted that you "never heard" Blood on the Tracks. I said, rather, that I'm inclined to believe that you (as representative of any random person who makes the same claim, considering I know you not at all) heard or read that this record is supposed to be your favorite, and that this is why you say it's your favorite. I may be wrong in your particular case; you may be the odd exception, but for any given person who makes this claim, the odds are greatly in my favor.

Ned
10-25-2005, 06:47 PM

Blonde on Blonde BUILDS on Highway 61 and Bringing it All Back Home. It's the CULMINATION of the potential intimated in these earlier records. It's Dylan's masterpiece.

Alive
10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Come again? I never asserted that you "never heard" Blood on the Tracks. I said, rather, that I'm inclined to believe that you (as representative of any random person who makes the same claim, considering I know you not at all) heard or read that this record is supposed to be your favorite, and that this is why you say it's your favorite. I may be wrong in your particular case; you may be the odd exception, but for any given person who makes this claim, the odds are greatly in my favor.

So, in conclusion, you think that most people whos favourite Dylan album is Blood on the Tracks are lying?

robo2448
10-25-2005, 08:30 PM
So, in conclusion, you think that most people whos favourite Dylan album is Blood on the Tracks are lying?

That's what it sounds like to me:confused:

I misinterpreted what he was saying before so I guess I could be misinterpreting it again. And I don't think Blood on the Tracks is his most popular album. I think Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde On Blonde are all more critically acclaimed. Blood on the Tracks gets a lot of praise too, but just because it gets praised doesn't mean it can't be somebody's favorite albums. I don't really care how much praise an album gets, and I don't let that affect how I like the album. I like an album just because everyone else likes it, and don't like an album just because people overlook it. I judge albums strictly on how I view the quality, and popularity or critical acclaim has nothing to do with my opinions.

CantBuyAThrill
10-28-2005, 01:06 AM

If you like Highway 61, go with Bringing It All Back Home and Blonde on Blonde. They were all recorded within about a year of each other, and have a similar feel, yet a distinctly different... uniqueness (I don't know how to describe it) that makes them all really good in their own ways. Also, check out Blood on the Tracks. Alot of Dylan fans love that album, and it's considered to be one of his best. I still haven't "gotten" it yet, I guess, it's not as good for me as the three above. I prefer his earlier folk stuff, like Freewheelin' and Times They Are A-Changin' to Blood on the Tracks, and then the Electric Folk Rock era with Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61, and BIABH to that.

Ned
10-28-2005, 04:12 AM

No. They let others dictate to them. They have no taste of their own. They have no critical judgement of their own. They think favorites have to do with fashion. That's not "lying".

Ned
10-28-2005, 04:17 AM
Also, check out Blood on the Tracks. A lot of Dylan fans love that album, and it's considered to be one of his best.

And I've already explained the misapprehension.

I still haven't "gotten" it yet, I guess, it's not as good for me as the three above. You have got it. It's "not as good for you" because it's not as good period (although, like Planet Waves it's perfectly okay), because you're listening with your own ears and evaluating with your own mind.

Tomahawk
10-28-2005, 06:50 AM
You're quite the douche, sir.

Anyway, my favourite Dylan album is Blood on the Tracks, because apparently I'm a mindless puppet of the evil media, with their relentless BOTT agenda.

shamed-angel
10-28-2005, 06:57 AM
The fact that everyone cites it as their favourite album tells that it's a very good album indeed. Not that they are copying everyone else.

Tomahawk
10-28-2005, 07:01 AM
BAA BAA BAA
Dude you're such a sheep. Large groups of people cannot legitimately share the same opinion. Especially if it should conflict with my opinion.

shamed-angel
10-28-2005, 07:03 AM
It's not my favourite Dylan album, I was just saying that because a large amount of people say that it's his best album, so someone saying that wouldn't make them a sheep...
My favourite Dylan album is Desire..

neal_672
10-28-2005, 12:28 PM
I think we should all stop arguing on the point and just agree that:

Dylan = Absolute Genius

Ned
10-29-2005, 01:57 AM
I think we should all stop arguing on the point and just agree that:

Dylan = Absolute Genius

Dylan is a very instinctive performer, and his instinct is hardly infallable. A statement such as "Dylan = Absolute Genius" needs to be backed up, and if you try to back it up with Blood on the Tracks eventually someone will come around and point out that the emperor has no clothes. As long as this perverse fashion persists, Dylan's legacy and reputation is in jeopardy--and that's my concern.

I make a distinction between favorite record and best record. I've always been perfectly willing to agree, for example, with the zillions of people who maintain that Aqualung is Jethro Tull's best record, but my personal favorite Jethro Tull record has always been Stand Up (the original Stand Up, not the "remastered" Stand Up with "bonus" tracks). Now for a very long time, I was the only one, so far as I knew, saying this latter thing. Immediately after Jethro Tull leader Ian Anderson remarked on the Jethro Tull website that Stand Up is also one of his favorite Jethro Tull records (implying that it is the favorite), however, all sorts of people came out of the woodwork claiming that Stand Up is their favorite too, claiming further in fact that Stand Up is better than Aqualung.

It may very well be a coincidence that Ian Anderson and I share this opinion or we may happen to have similar taste or some such thing. (My opinion could not have been influenced by his, though, because I'd voiced it many times before he ever let his be known publicly, and his could not have been influenced by mine because he's never met me.) It is not likely a coincidence that all these Jethro Tull fans (fan is short for fanatic) suddenly came to this opinion directly after Anderson announced his.

Dreww
10-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Huge Dylan fanboy here.

something vague
10-31-2005, 02:51 PM
I make a distinction between favorite record and best record. It's a completely subjective thing, and I don't necessarily see the parallels between "best" and "favorite". Favorite would impy that you think it is the best, as a matter of personal opinion. "Best" is for the most part, the same thing. It's just as subjective, and it relies on opinion much more.

I don't relaly understand why you need to conjure up a three paragraph argument every time someone disagrees with you or has a different opinion. There is no need to repeatedly "correct" someone.

Dreww
10-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Blonde On Blonde is my favorite. I think.

Gypsy Campervan
11-01-2005, 02:36 PM
My favourite is BIABH.

Delay Pedal Boy
11-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Another Side of Bob Dylan is sorely underrated.

robo2448
11-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Another Side of Bob Dylan is sorely underrated.

Yep. It doesn't really fit in with his other albums though, so it kind of gets ignored. It's folk, but the songs for the most part aren't protest songs so it's not really like The Times They Are A-Changin' or Freewheelin'. But it's still acoustic and folk, so it doesn't fit in with his electric work. It's just a bridge between the folk protest era Dylan and the electric Dylan. Really overlooked. Great album though, Chimes Of Freedom is one of my favorite Dylan songs ever.

JonG
11-02-2005, 09:22 PM
I've been lovin' Bringing It All Back Home lately. Such a great album.

Jude
11-03-2005, 01:00 PM
blah blah blah

Um, Planet Waves is a painfully mediocre album, Time Out of Mind is good, Blood on the Tracks is one of his best, and New Morning is bad.

Ned, you shouldn't post anymore. Your posts can basically be summed up as 'everyone only likes certain albums because everyone else does, and I'm a better fan of bands because those aren't my favorite albums.' I'm sure you're a better Pink Floyd fan because your favorite album is More, and a better Beatles fan because your favorite album is Help, too.

Maybe people say Blood on the Tracks is their favorite BECAUSE IT'S A GREAT ALBUM AND THEY LIKE IT.

My favorite is Highway 61. Favorite songs are Changing of the Guards and Series of Dreams.

robo2448
11-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Um, Planet Waves is a painfully mediocre album, Time Out of Mind is good, Blood on the Tracks is one of his best, and New Morning is bad.

Ned, you shouldn't post anymore. Your posts can basically be summed up as 'everyone only likes certain albums because everyone else does, and I'm a better fan of bands because those aren't my favorite albums.' I'm sure you're a better Pink Floyd fan because your favorite album is More, and a better Beatles fan because your favorite album is Help, too.

Maybe people say Blood on the Tracks is their favorite BECAUSE IT'S A GREAT ALBUM AND THEY LIKE IT.

My favorite is Highway 61. Favorite songs are Changing of the Guards and Series of Dreams.

Well said.

I agree with you about Planet Waves. I think it's good but not like Blood on the Tracks. Good album, but he was playing with The Band, so being Dylan and the Band, I had higher expectations for it than it fulfilled. I like New Morning too, I think it's a very solid album with a few great songs.

Series of Dreams is such an amazing song. Seriously just something about that song just seems so amazing to me. Love it. Not a big fan of Changing of the Guards though, I don't like the back-up singers.

sketchyjoe
11-04-2005, 09:44 AM
My Top 6 Dylan albums in any sort of order:

Blood on the Tracks
Blonde on Blonde
Bringin' It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisted
The Freewheelin Bob Dylan.
The Time's They Are A-Changin'

edit- Now that I look at this, I put it in quasi-alphabetical order without even noticing.
I'd agree with that except I prefer John Wesley Harding and Another Side of Bob Dylan to The Times They Are A-Changin'

I have the lyrics to It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding, Subterranean Homesick Blues and Bob Dylan's Blues on my wall. I'm wearing my Subterranean Homesick Blues t-shirt right now. He's easily the greatest songwriter of the 20th century. He's up there with people like Keats and Wilfred Owen for me in terms of poets.

Thisisme?
11-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Blonde on Blonde BUILDS on Highway 61 and Bringing it All Back Home. It's the CULMINATION of the potential intimated in these earlier records. It's Dylan's masterpiece.

anyone who would pick a single album as the best one isn't really a fan

my favorite is blood on the tracks but i like all i've heard, and has been before i ever read an article about him

Zengeance
11-18-2005, 12:37 AM
I read someone put down Street Legal, that is actually a very incredible album. The song Senor is bone-chilling, and I can't think of one bad song on the album. It's also very under-rated lyrically, he said he left town with Marcell and St John... who in Hebrew is past and future. How mind-blowing is that?

My favorite dylan albums in order:
1) Highway 61 Revisited
2) Desire
3) Blonde on Blonde
4) The Times They Are a Changin
5) Bringing it All Back Home
6) Blood On The Tracks
7) The Freewheelin Bob Dylan
8) John Wesley Harding

The rest are farely the same. As far as you all arguing over what album is truly better, I would say it's all an opinion. It's supposedly Blonde on Blonde, that is his classic. But I think it's Highway 61 Revisited, I think the songs are catchier, smarter, and Michael Bloomfield is awesome.

Sid
11-18-2005, 12:54 AM
He is a big influence on my music.

Relmar
11-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Bob Dylan is great. The only artist whos lyrics actually strike me. I really like the first album.

thickasabrick
11-19-2005, 01:48 PM
I think right now my three favourite albums of his are The Times They Are A-Changin'....Bringing It All Back Home....and Blood on the Tracks. Blood on the Tracks has always been my absolute favourite, but The Times They Are A-Changin' is literally the most powerful album I've ever listened to. It's amazing. I love Bringing It All Back Home because he's got some really fun songs, he's got some great storytelling (Bob Dylans 115th Dream!) and he's got some absolute lyrical masterpieces (I shouldn't even have to name them.)

Although I still listen to Dylan and the Dead like daily.

Sexypants.
11-20-2005, 05:57 PM
i think he's so great because he's so real.

he's just like, a normal guy, you know? He seems like he'd be a cool guy, plus his hair is cooler than yours :cool:

You cant go wrong with Dylan. Period.

Bluesman
11-21-2005, 10:10 AM
so long as he plays acoustic he's OK in my book. when he plugs in I need to get out of the room

LedZeppFan83
11-21-2005, 04:39 PM
- Yea, he's one of the best classic folk artist around. I love the songs "Blowin' In The Wind", "Hurricane", "Don't Think Twice It's Alright", "Lay Lady Lay",and "Knockin' On Heavens Door".:thumb:

robo2448
11-21-2005, 04:42 PM
i think he's so great because he's so real.

he's just like, a normal guy, you know? He seems like he'd be a cool guy, plus his hair is cooler than yours :cool:

You cant go wrong with Dylan. Period.

Dylan's hair is so awesome.

You can go wrong with some Dylan. Knocked Out Loaded was pretty terrible. In fact, I couldn't bear to listen to the whole thing.

Blonde On Blonde is so awesome. Sorry Ned, it's still not my favorite but is awesome.

np- Most Likely You Go Your Way (and I'll Go Mine)

sketchyjoe
11-24-2005, 07:52 AM
so long as he plays acoustic he's OK in my book. when he plugs in I need to get out of the room
Yeah, who does he think he is? JUDAS!

foxes are like so rad
11-27-2005, 11:06 AM
ok. if you want dylan, listen to subterranean homesick blues. and read this letter by noam chomskey. its way short, i promise.
http://www.chomsky.info/letters/199406--.htm
it made me very sad...he lived in such an amazing time to make change and be heard...but the only "protest" dylan ever went to was the march on washington. and then he decided it was bull****.
baez, on the other hand...kay, im rambling.

foxes are like so rad
11-27-2005, 11:07 AM
sigh...and by the way, hes horrible now. he can barely sing...he put on a show at Boston University. a friend of mine went, and she said it was terrible.

godandmud
11-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Bob Dylan albums that I own:
Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
The Time are a Changin'
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Bringing it all back home
Highway 61 revisited
Blonde on Blonde
Greatest hits vol. 1
Nashville Skyline
John Wesley Hardin
Planet Waves (MY FAV!)
Desire
Blood on the Tracks
The Essential Bob Dylan
Greatest hits vol 3

I am 25 and have been a Dylan fan for 3 years now.

godandmud
11-28-2005, 12:56 AM
ok. if you want dylan, listen to subterranean homesick blues. and read this letter by noam chomskey. its way short, i promise.
http://www.chomsky.info/letters/199406--.htm
it made me very sad...he lived in such an amazing time to make change and be heard...but the only "protest" dylan ever went to was the march on washington. and then he decided it was bull****.
baez, on the other hand...kay, im rambling.

Baez had a big mouth on her. But you see the difference between her and Dylan? His stuff is timeless and hers is not. Sure, Baez did alot for political movements, but Bob did more with his music. Dylan kept quite and did his job and said what he wanted to say in music. F*** everything else.

Zengeance
11-28-2005, 01:03 AM
sigh...and by the way, hes horrible now. he can barely sing...he put on a show at Boston University. a friend of mine went, and she said it was terrible.

That has nothing to do with his age... only a true Dylan fan can enjoy the majority of his concerts. He is so sporadic and spontaneous, his songs can be barely recognizable. I would assume your friend didn't know this going into it... Dylan concerts are hardly ever uniform in the least. That is what is so great about him! When I seen him after Love & Theft came out... half the songs he sang we had no idea what they were until we heard the lyrics. A few people bitched because they couldn't sing along like idiots.... but the genuine consensus among die hard Bobby fans was that it was a spectacular show. .... And when has Dylan's pros included his singing voice??!

sketchyjoe
12-05-2005, 06:04 AM
Bob Dylan albums that I own:
Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
The Time are a Changin'
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Bringing it all back home
Highway 61 revisited
Blonde on Blonde
Greatest hits vol. 1
Nashville Skyline
John Wesley Hardin
Planet Waves (MY FAV!)
Desire
Blood on the Tracks
The Essential Bob Dylan
Greatest hits vol 3

I am 25 and have been a Dylan fan for 3 years now.
Planet Waves is your favourite?

Kurtz
12-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Okay, I need help with a song. I only remember the song vaguely, so excuse the bare descriptions kthx.

It's sort of mid paced, the music and production sound very modern, but the vocals sound very early-Dylan. I can't remember too many lyrics, but something about Mary Jane. It had the harmonica in there too.

sketchyjoe
12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
The only Dylan song I can think of mentioning Mary Jane is Tryin' to Get to Heaven off Time Out of Mind.

Kurtz
12-15-2005, 06:01 PM
I downloaded that, wasn't it. Thanks though.

It had something about a Jane or a Jade in the chorus.

Broken Arrow
12-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Queen Jane Approximatley of Highway 61 Revisted?

Kurtz
12-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Queen Jane Approximatley of Highway 61 Revisted?
Definitely not.

Although the harmonica peice in the song sounded a lot like something from Like a Rolling Stone, but with a couple different notes.

Broken Arrow
12-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Haha, thatss the only one with Jane that I could think of.

superjoe
12-18-2005, 03:17 PM
i cant believe no one has mentioned his first album. I bought it, and havent put it down since, not a single bad song on it. listen to his version of house of the rising sun and man of constant sorrow...soo good.

Broken Arrow
12-18-2005, 03:27 PM
I love the verison of "In My Time of Dyin'" and yes "House of the Rising Sun" is amazing on it.

sketchyjoe
12-18-2005, 05:11 PM
His first album is good but nothing special. It's a pretty typical folk album. He was still trying to be Woody Guthrie at that point.

neal_672
12-18-2005, 05:19 PM

I totally disagree, even if his voice is a little knacked his two newest albums Love and Theft and Time Out Of Mind were excellent. A real return to form after the dark days of the 80's Dylan.

superjoe
12-18-2005, 06:08 PM
His first album is good but nothing special. It's a pretty typical folk album. He was still trying to be Woody Guthrie at that point.
it doesnt matter who hes trying to be, everyone has their heros, its still an awesome album thats highly underratted.

sketchyjoe
12-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Woody Guthrie was a lot better at being Woody Guthrie. I listen to it now and then but it pales into insignificance compared to his later stuff once he actually tried being Bob Dylan.

robo2448
12-18-2005, 08:42 PM
I like Dylan's first album a lot. I'd agree that he is imitating Woody Guthrie in many ways but it's still got his spin on it. He makes the songs his own. It's a really enjoyable album. Not his best, but I dunno I just like it a lot for some reason.

I've been listening to Another Side of Bob Dylan a lot lately. Great album. Chimes of Freedom and My Back Pages are two of the best songs he's ever done.

sketchyjoe
12-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Chimes of Freedom is absolutely amazing.

hafez
12-24-2005, 03:54 AM
i'm surprised that i'm the first in the thread to dislike bob dylan. i respect some of the musicians he inspired but his music aggravates me no end

PumaPride77
12-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah, who does he think he is? JUDAS!

I don't believe you!

redmancba
12-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Woody Guthrie was a lot better at being Woody Guthrie. I listen to it now and then but it pales into insignificance compared to his later stuff once he actually tried being Bob Dylan.

He was being Bob Dylan, just an early version. I'm reading "Chronicles Vol. 1" and it's a great book, all about early Dylan in New York, told by Dylan. At that time Dylan was folk and folk was Dylan. From what he says it seems like folk songs told him how to live so it's natural for him to sing them. And of course Woody Guthrie is better at being himself than someone else. But I agree that his later stuff is better.

Zengeance
12-27-2005, 11:44 PM
i'm surprised that i'm the first in the thread to dislike bob dylan. i respect some of the musicians he inspired but his music aggravates me no end

...i'm not surprised. Bob Dylan is nearly supernatural.

sketchyjoe
12-28-2005, 11:46 AM
He was being Bob Dylan, just an early version. I'm reading "Chronicles Vol. 1" and it's a great book, all about early Dylan in New York, told by Dylan. At that time Dylan was folk and folk was Dylan. From what he says it seems like folk songs told him how to live so it's natural for him to sing them. And of course Woody Guthrie is better at being himself than someone else. But I agree that his later stuff is better.
I'm only talking about his first album. He was still finding his (first) sound at that point.

I've read Chronicles. It's good but frustrating, but if anyone has a right to self-mythologise, it's Dylan. I got his Complete Lyrics and Scrapbook 56-66 for christmas.

smorgdonkey
12-28-2005, 08:47 PM
...and isn't Ballad Of Hollis Brown the best one-chord song ever?