PDA

View Full Version : My amp is freaking out...help please!

Rock_Out_Dudes
10-18-2005, 08:07 PM
My amp was making a really weird noise while it was distorted. It wasn't a sound that kept going all the time, it just happened sometimes, kind of like a cable that is disfunctioning. The thing is, I checked my cords and all of them were fine. Also, it doesn't happen on the clean channel. We also noticed that sometimes when the bass played the low E with some shelving on it made the noise. It sounded like a loose chord, kind of like a deep crackling. Sometimes when were were playing a longer song that was distorted the noise would start and overwhelm what i was playing so that I could only hear the noise, but then when i palm muted the bridge the noise went away. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? My amp is a Peavey classic 50 (tube amp)
Thanks

Sebek
10-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Maybe some new tubes are required?

Rock_Out_Dudes
10-18-2005, 09:19 PM
bumpage

kiloolik
10-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Grounding problem...? since when u plam mute the noise stops...

Rock_Out_Dudes
10-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Grounding problem...? since when u plam mute the noise stops...

could you explain that a bit more? i don't really understand what you mean. Thanks

fenderstratboy2
10-18-2005, 10:20 PM
mine does the same thing. i have a 62 fender tremolux and it does itall the time when i use the bright channel. new tubes and cables have not solved the problem

IbanezSamurai
10-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Yep, grounding problems. Moving your amp im a different room might help.

fenderstratboy2
10-18-2005, 10:26 PM
how is it grounding if its only on bass notes? and only on my bright channel?

Rock_Out_Dudes
10-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Could someone please explain what a "grounding problem" is? I'm really dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff... :upset:

Aes820
10-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Are you able to post a recording of this sound?

Rock_Out_Dudes
10-20-2005, 11:30 AM
I can try...most of the time when I want it to do the noise it doesn't though...I'll try and get one up today.

Ephemeral
10-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Yeah, we will have to hear what it sounds like to fully tell you what the problem could be.

mt_spiffy
10-20-2005, 02:16 PM
An example of a grounding problem that could be causing this is if the 3rd prong on your amp cord got pulled out. I had an amp that behaved this way because the ground wire cane disconnected inside the cord. Make sure the metal parts on the amp are properly grounded.

Rock_Out_Dudes
10-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Here is a sample of the noise...it happens near the beginning, and also near the end. I'm just playing random stuff:

http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1E1BAYVPVEQJE2T2O90JJFU8J9

Aes820
10-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Are you using a distortion pedal, or the amps own distortion channel?
If the latter, then I'm guessing you've got the pre-gain turned up pretty high.

And perhaps if you want that sort of heavyness then you may be better off using a distortion pedal instead. As those Classic series amps arn't ideal for their high gain tones.

I think what you are hearing is the amp inability to cope with high pre-gain settings. Especially with the lower pitched notes, like the low E, where the note itself loses it's tightness and just turnes to mush.
A way to confirm this is to try it with a different guitar and see if the same thing happens.

I think you'll be better off using a distortion pedal for your 'action' tone.
Or perhaps keeping the EQ settings on your amp all the way set to midway and running an EQ pedal in the amps FX loop.

Ephemeral
10-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a grounding problem on your guitar to me. When you put your fingers/hand on the strings/bridge does the noise stop?

tallica52
10-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Could be your pickups. Then again I'm no expert, but you definetly gotta get that checked out by a proffesional.

Rock_Out_Dudes
10-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I had thought the noise was gone for good after playing for 5 hours without it happening. Luckily (not) for me it came back today :upset: . The thing is though, it was not happening on both clean and distorted channels, with both my uber metal pedal, and my amps distorted channel. Whenever i wouold wobble the lead pickup it would sort of crackle and sometimes it would short and them come back. It seems like the way that the pickup is resting right now might have the soldering or something loose, but idk, because when I push it up (while having the guitar on) it will come back, but then slowly it will shift back down and short out/crackle again. It's getting to bad to even play with. I'm guessing the wiring is just messed up inside the guitar, because i figured out today it only happens on the lead pickup. So my questions are, would I be able to fix this myself? If not, would this be covered under my warrant from guitar center on my guitar (gibson v) if i bought it like 3-4 months ago?

Any help/comments would be great. Thanks!