PDA

View Full Version : Open Handed Technique

spipedong
10-18-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm hoping this is a good place to start my first thread here. IMO it's not a beginner topic, nor really a super advanced one.

I've been playing for a little while now, although I'm new on the forums. Basically, I've sort of hit a bit of a wall in my progression and I've taken to playing open handed to speed my limb independence.

So far I'm gaining progress on the open hand front, but still pretty limited as to what I can handle.

Any tips/tricks from anybody or literature I should be checking out on the topic, or just keep forging ahead at it?

dj_ando
10-18-2005, 12:20 AM
sorry if i'm sounding ignorant here.. but could you explain what you mean by open handed technique?

spipedong
10-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Open Handed is where you have, say, a standard right-handed setup (snare and hats on the left side) and rather than crossing your right arm over to play the hats you would use your left arm for the hats and right hand for the snare.

The idea is to swap so that you lead with your weak hand and it gets a workout that it wouldn't normally get.

papercut_heart
10-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I play open-handed sometimes.. It seems a bit awkward after playing crossed for a long time, and sometimes I have problems with more complicated hi-hat/snare stuff, but it opens up a lot of new stuff to play with drums. You can play toms or other cymbals without stopping playing your hats, and stuff like that. The most you can do is practice.

dj_ando
10-18-2005, 12:29 AM
ahhh right, sorry, i get you now! i don't really do it, though i sometimes muck around with it. i do other exercises for independence, usually polyrhythm stuff or snare/bass patterns while playing time on the ride/hats. sorry i can't be of any help here.

Det_Nosnip
10-18-2005, 12:51 AM
My biggest problem with Open-handed playing is getting everything to feel right. All of the subtle little nuances are really hard to reproduce with the left hand, and likewise, it's hard to emulate left-handed stuff with the right hand. I can pretty much play the same notes to any pattern with either arrangement, but getting it to sound right is a different matter entirely.

Anyways, have you seen Dom Famularo's videos? He demonstrates some cool open handed playing and some of the thought behind it...check it out:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/domfamularo.html

spipedong
10-18-2005, 09:39 AM
My biggest problem with Open-handed playing is getting everything to feel right. All of the subtle little nuances are really hard to reproduce with the left hand, and likewise, it's hard to emulate left-handed stuff with the right hand. I can pretty much play the same notes to any pattern with either arrangement, but getting it to sound right is a different matter entirely.

Anyways, have you seen Dom Famularo's videos? He demonstrates some cool open handed playing and some of the thought behind it...check it out:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/domfamularo.html

Aww man... I can't groove like that even with cross-handed playing. :upset:

dedworx
10-19-2005, 07:18 PM
playing along to songs that you know the drum parts to could help so you have something to go by, trying to get your left hand to match the way your right hand plays. the same would apply for any books or material with the style of music you like and you have completed right hand,you could revisit and do left handed. for feel and ghosting you could start out with a left handed roll between the hit hat and snare and accent the quarter notes with your left while ghosting every note your right plays. then once thats comfortable take away some of the right hand ghost notes and put in 2 and 4 with your right hand and so on for there with different bass patterns, accents ect.

dpakman91
10-19-2005, 08:40 PM
i really like dom famularo...man that guy is great

ThatOneDrummer
10-26-2005, 08:36 PM
i play open handed all the time... well i was born that way but still... its kindof a pain for me cuz all my buddies dont think drummers should play open handed and my drum teacher thought open handed playing was "Satans creation" dont ask me why tho i dunno...:chug:

SonorKen
10-26-2005, 09:08 PM
I too play open alot. One of my kits I use 2 rides, one on each side. My biggest problem when I began to play open handed was ghost noting and ghost noting correctly. I practiced it quite a bit and finally got it down. I am comfortable playing either open or crossed.

Win A Rabbit
10-26-2005, 09:22 PM
my weak hand still doesn't have the same feel as my strong hand, but i've been playing open handed for about a year now. there's always an advantage to playing open handed.

and to dom famularo, sometimes he seems a little TOO excited in his vids. :lol:

isojoe420
10-26-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm hoping this is a good place to start my first thread here. IMO it's not a beginner topic, nor really a super advanced one.
Some people start playing open handed because its more comfortable to them than crossed. So it could be a beginner topic.

oliv_da_skinmasher
10-28-2005, 07:04 AM
and to dom famularo, sometimes he seems a little TOO excited in his vids. :lol:

He does indeed but it shows he's passion for drums.

and to keep this usefull playing open handed has advantages because it builds up your weaker hand and means you can lead with either which is a wonderful thing

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 04:34 PM
I love playing opened I ussually switch up between crossed and opened because I do alot of things with 16th notes and ghosted hihats. Also I love flams! Just started using them alot in my fills(got a small set now only use 1 tom so need to think more about fills) and you can get great colors just by opening and closing up the flams.

a1DrummerT
12-03-2005, 11:52 PM

I've been playing for a little while now, although I'm new on the forums. Basically, I've sort of hit a bit of a wall in my progression and I've taken to playing open handed to speed my limb independence.

So far I'm gaining progress on the open hand front, but still pretty limited as to what I can handle.

Any tips/tricks from anybody or literature I should be checking out on the topic, or just keep forging ahead at it?

Just think like this...Remeber how clumsy you were in you first lessons or when you first started...Remember how slow you had to play and how awful it would sound? Take it slow play really slow untill you feel somewhat normal doing open handed playing.
Personaly i wouldn't do that. just buy some books that help with independence.

and i just was thinking...did you say you have been playing "for a while" just to sound like you have been playing awhile, and you are new...or by a while, did you mean it?:lol:

styler
12-04-2005, 12:55 AM
imagine how long it took for you to learn with your right hand, now remember youve never used your left hand before, for anything, in your life, sucking at it at first is no big deal. take your time

Drummer884
12-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Open handed is only something I tried a few times. It was never that hard for me and I could keep basic beets just as well crossed. I don't really do warm-ups any more...well not the traditional warm-ups. I just got tired of putting my drum teacher's sheet music up and tapping out para's and trip's. I get a song in my head and just start puttin' my own **** in. I'll say one thing though. Someone mentioned the use of open handed as an opportunity to keep hitting your ride and toms. I think I may peruse in this area a bit more.

Josiah
12-05-2005, 02:10 AM
While it has it's interesting ideas and concepts. It lacks in practicality I think.

If we set up drums in a more hand to hand evenly devide way, say the hat sin the center, toms on both sides.. etc.. it'd come in to play more. But I find it's just that as my playing vocabulary increases, whatever idea I wish to play.. I play it, or work it out til I can. If it takes using my left hand as a 'riding' hand, then so be it.

But as far as just practicing playing reverse sticking, just for the sake of playing reverse sticking; to me is not the best use of time.

Wizz
12-05-2005, 09:26 AM

-Put your Hi-hats lower then , when your normally would be playing cross-handed.

- Practice jazz stuff and rudiments to make your left hand stronger.
In the beginning changing from open/crossed playing to crossed/open
tends to be very boring , cuz your pretty good at other stuff and it takes a
while to learn this. Doing your rudiments and stuff to make your arm stronger
improves this proces.

- Practice

Dookiedude3005
12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
I play open-handed alot, but my hats are up sort of high so its kinda awkward playing like that so if I really wanted to go all out opened handed I would have to lower my hats significantly(kinda like a josh eppard set up). Maybe I'll go all out for like two weeks and then we'll see what happens.

_R2D2_
12-06-2005, 06:35 PM
^^yes try that. it feels a lot better playing open-handed with the hats at the same level of your snare. ive been doing that for a month and i am now addicted to playing open-handed. (i think playing open handed looks way cooler than the traditional crossed way too.)

officer doofy
12-06-2005, 08:08 PM
with my teacher I do open handed linear grooves, so both the hats and snare are played with the left hand, and throw in the ride on the quarters, eighths etc...with the right hand. Another good excercise to speed up your limb independence is working on latin beats using the buyon (not sure how to spell that, pronounced buy-yon) bass/hat foot pattern, when I first worked on these it was very difficult.

Japan3gro
12-06-2005, 09:17 PM
I rather have good left to right hand coordination than to play open. Open is cool though for some things.

jiashen
12-09-2005, 08:31 AM
If we set up drums in a more hand to hand evenly devide way, say the hat sin the center, toms on both sides.. etc.. it'd come in to play more.
haha do some people really set up their drumsets like that?

Josiah
12-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Yea, a few guys take that approach. Mostly notably would be Mike Magaini (spell?)

Though it's large and impractical for most players to do that. So inadvertantly the hands are splits slightly in their respective jobs around the kit while playing.

jiashen
12-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Do you/anyone have a picture of this? I've been searching around but none of them show the set up you're talking about.

a1DrummerT
12-15-2005, 04:42 PM
imagine how long it took for you to learn with your right hand, now remember youve never used your left hand before, for anything, in your life, sucking at it at first is no big deal. take your time

REpeat of what i said but true

SonorKen
12-22-2005, 05:38 AM
Do you/anyone have a picture of this? I've been searching around but none of them show the set up you're talking about.
Look for pics of Danny Carey's kit on the Lateralus tour, he had his hats set up in the center for a while on that tour.