PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a new guitar

The_Red_Death
10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Alright, so I'm a regular member of the bass forum, but I've been wanting to learn guitar for a while to kind of broaden my skills a bit. At the moment, I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive electric guitar, (at most $500 Canadian, preferably below $400). I play mostly rock, post-hardcore, pop-punk, stuff like that. I'm a complete noob when it comes to guitars, but I love the Les Paul body shape, and was hoping for something similar to that. Thanks a lot. :wave:

EDIT: Read post #12 please.

EdwardTheGreat
10-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Go get yourself an Epiphone LP. For the price its superb, and better than any rip-off LP.

The_Red_Death
10-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Go get yourself an Epiphone LP. For the price its superb, and better than any rip-off LP.

Thanks. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

/stealth bump

JDMhatch
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
mexi strat. very versitile and good for the price

The_Glass_Prison
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
I may as well post my question in here instead of making a thread...

Anywho, I plan to buy my very first guitar and amp. I've wanted to start learning for a while and I'm finally getting round to it.

So, I need advice on what guitar and amp to buy! I'm thinking something that's good with a varity of styles, as I won't be confining myself to just one genre when learning...although eventually I'd like to start practising some awesome metal solos ;)

I was looking at an Ibanez Gio Series GAX30...and as for amp I have no idea..

Is Ibanez a good make to go for? I'd like to keep within a budget of say £150 for the guitar.....maybe 70 for the amp?

seibel88
10-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Get a Strat Pack, everyone says they are crappy and I know I'll get flamed for it, but they ARE good for a beginner.

As for the threadstarter an Epiphone Les Paul would work for ya.

JSD
10-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Under $500 CDN eh? Your not going to get a good Epi for under $500 here in Canada and there are better guitars in the same price range. The Tokai Love Rock is better than an Epi. But either way your looking more in the $600 CDN range.

Your best bet is to get out there and try out a bunch of guitars and see what feels the best for you. You may love the looks of the LP body style but the mass and weight of one may turn you off.

The_Red_Death
10-17-2005, 06:46 PM
I played an Epi LP Special II today, and was quite surprised at how good a $250 dollar guitar sounded. Any thoughts on this guitar?

The_Red_Death
10-17-2005, 07:42 PM
DO NOT go for any of the major brands or rip off models (such as epiphones) as a starting guitar try looking for a brand that makes quality cheaper guitars. I personally own a Washburn although i doubt they carry them in Canada.

Ibenezs are good for the money, but be picky on if they sound is how you want. a lot of timees theyll play a little on the cheap side, but are btter quality than the strat-ripoffs.

Yeah, they do carry Washburns in Canada, in fact, my bass is a Washburn, and they're the only basses one of the local store carries. No guitars, though. And basically, out of the two local shops, as far as lower priced guitars go, one only carries Squier, the other only Epiphone. And personally, I'm not a big fan of Squiers.

The_Red_Death
10-17-2005, 10:31 PM
I played an Epi LP Special II today, and was quite surprised at how good a $250 dollar guitar sounded. Any thoughts on this guitar?

Anyone?

/bump

The_Red_Death
10-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Alright, I hate to triple post, but I want people's opinions on this... I went to one of my local shops yesterday, and played an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Now this is about all I can afford, and I'm not going to be coming into any more money any time soon. I was only able to play it for a couple minutes, but I liked it from what I experienced. Now, does anyone else have experience with this guitar? How is the build quality? What are some pros/cons? Anything else I should know? I've read some reviews, but I'm still looking for some more feedback. Thanks in advance.

deslni01
10-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Epiphone is a really great company; I would personally say they are the best "cheap" guitar company there is, but that's clearly my opinion.
If you played it and you like it, then by all means purchase it and start playing with it.

sleepyjohn
10-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Red Death: I would actually try out a guitar that is way out of your price range to see just how good a good guitar feels/plays, and then use this experience and decide which one of the cheaper ones is best.

Glass Prison: Same thing, really. I recommend a Squire or an old Washburn of some sort(my first guitar, great guitar considering I didnt have to pay anything for it). As for an amp, a Vox Pathfinder or a Roland Micro-cube are both good choices. Fender and Marshall practice amps are ok, but I think the Vox and the Roland are better.

that one guitar guy
10-18-2005, 08:01 PM
totally go for an epi LP theyre cheap, sound great, durable, and friggin awsome!!!

safe_til_sundown
10-21-2005, 05:30 PM
my guitar budget is low and i cant think of wut kind of guitar to get. im leenin towards a epi SG but i dont know how good they play.

The_Red_Death
10-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I got the Special II on Wedesday, and I love it! Thanks for the help everyone.

ChickenMcFicken
10-21-2005, 10:05 PM
I'd look into Godins. I've heard they're cheaper in Canada, but I've also heard we (US) get them cheaper because of exchange rate. Anywho, great guitars, check some out.

godinguitars.com

mcmurray
10-22-2005, 07:19 AM
my guitar budget is low and i cant think of wut kind of guitar to get. im leenin towards a epi SG but i dont know how good they play.

they play pretty good, i havent played any of them aside from the g400 which i've had for about a year and a half now. definately the best purchase i've ever made. you just got to go somewhere and try them out. the only problem i see with them is that they aren't balanced because of where the 2nd strap peg is

safe_til_sundown
10-22-2005, 11:21 AM
they play pretty good, i havent played any of them aside from the g400 which i've had for about a year and a half now. definately the best purchase i've ever made. you just got to go somewhere and try them out. the only problem i see with them is that they aren't balanced because of where the 2nd strap peg is

thanks for the advice. im gonna have to try one out.