PDA

View Full Version : Conversion

Newbassist
10-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Hey, I'm a relatively new, self-taught bassist who loves mxtabs for new material...

however, I only have a 4-string bass, and I don't know how to convert 5-string tabs to 4-string tabs...

could somebody please explain the process?

dragonzmad
10-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Hey, I'm a relatively new, self-taught bassist who loves mxtabs for new material...

however, I only have a 4-string bass, and I don't know how to convert 5-string tabs to 4-string tabs...

could somebody please explain the process?

you can't unless the deepest sounding note on the 5 string can be played with little tonal difference on the 4 string. You would have to transpose the song or start it an octave higher if possible.

learn your bass. playing tabs meant for a 5 string on a 4 string challenges you to be able to find the note and learn the neck and other options. My advice to any newbie would be to know your neck better than you know your alphabet or phone number.

know where all octaves and where the 5th of every note is

pukeboy66
10-17-2005, 06:15 AM
down tune

Jody LeCompte
10-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Doug is teh dumb :P

<3

Seriously though, down tuning is all it takes. I dunno if your familar with drop tuning. You can tune your E to either D, C, or B depending on what frets are being used.

If the 3rd fret and above are used on the B string tune to drop d, and start anything on the 3rd fret B at open low D . Then move everything in the tabs normally played on the E string down a step(two frets),

If the first fret B and above is used then tune the E to C. You can tune all the way down(CGCF) but thats rather pointless... Then play the 1st fret B as open low C, and then move everything else down two steps(4 frets).

If the open b is used..I cant think of two many bands that do that. But then you need to tune the E to B, Im pretty sure thats 2 and a half steps, or 5 frets. Then play the notes as the tab notes on the low B string(formerly your E) and move down all the E string notes 5 frets(or down a string to an according octave if the fingers get kinda hard)

You dont always have to downtune though, 5th fret B is open E, so thats all on a four string in standard. Just check the frets. I can post examples if you still get it.

-is slightly drunk-

pukeboy66
10-18-2005, 04:05 PM
jody has aids

:eek:

Jody LeCompte
10-18-2005, 06:00 PM
jody has aids

:eek:
Got em from you

pukeboy66
10-18-2005, 06:34 PM