PDA

View Full Version : splits in drumsticks...

blujelly
10-08-2005, 01:01 PM
On my drumsticks on the body of it has a random split on it. So I peelled it off. I thought it is becuase as I accidently do rimshots on the rims and it cracks it a little, but i found out it wasn't i need to know what it is that are making my sticks split any ideas?

Corkofski
10-08-2005, 01:04 PM
playing?

sticks break, end of. try playing your hihat with the tip, if you dont?

Happy_Squirrel
10-08-2005, 01:28 PM
playing?

sticks break, end of.Word. Just a fact of life us drum bums have to deal with. Incidentally, how were you able to determine that it wasn't due to accidental rimshots when you originally thought that it was?

AtomShip
10-08-2005, 02:10 PM
To fix this, go Ahead.

I love messing with the young and impressionable.

HeLLmO
10-08-2005, 02:29 PM
yea, just go Ahead, u will never have to rimshot again, if u do, u just wasted 30 bucks

of just get pro mark jap oak sticks, they own, completly, and they don't break either

steve_o_69
10-12-2005, 01:11 PM
i know this aint really part of the thread but since u seem confused bout ur sticks breakin try this...

get some real thin black duck tape (it has to be a thinner brand than normal, look around it is available) and put 1 layer on the shoulder of the stick just underneath the tip..just one layer!
then just play with ur sticks for a short while to kinda break the tape in cos at first it'll slightly soften the attack on ya hi hats and crashes etc

once broken in the sound quality should be just the same as it was on ya cymbals..certainly nothing niticable... but it will prolong ur stick life by a million gazillion years!!

i break a pair of sticks..with continual use after about a month or so, with that one layer of tape my sticks have ;asted me up to 4 months before any real cracks break through and i need a new pair!

it may seem a bit silly but once the tape has broken in trust! u dont have to worry bout breakin em so much cos its gonna take a lot longer to break!

i think its cos i may just dampen the impact of wood and metal colliding...and i think it just holds the stick a bit stronger so if crack do come up its still strong enough for a few more somgs y'know??

Brokensticks
10-12-2005, 01:33 PM
What a long post

IronCobra2x
10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
of just get pro mark jap oak sticks, they own, completly, and they don't break either

HAHAHAHAAH JAP OAK???? did you ever think someone would be offended by that abbrievation?? LOL!

GooseFilms.net
10-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Where are the cracks on the stick?

blujelly
10-12-2005, 02:27 PM
yar

trysthedrummer
10-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Where are the cracks on the stick? The body. Sticks do tend to break, I've had some chippages before, I've never broke one ever. Touch wood. :lol: :D See what I did there?..

I know what you mean. They don't cost much and they should last a long time. Buy another pair.

blujelly
10-12-2005, 02:32 PM
^^^^^ lol funny comment hehe

The Ska Man
10-12-2005, 02:33 PM
HAHAHAHAAH JAP OAK???? did you ever think someone would be offended by that abbrievation?? LOL!

What? I haven't understood half this thread. I never realised the US Education system was that bad.

FYI, I haven't heard one bad thing about the Jap Oaks.

GooseFilms.net
10-12-2005, 02:35 PM
yar
Not "Where are the cracks, on the stick?" But "Where are the cracks on the stick?" Where are they

trysthedrummer
10-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Mmm, anyway, does this split occur with most of your sticks? but i found out it wasn't i need to know what it is that are making my sticks split any ideas? Ah yes right then maybe your hitting the sides of the snare alot, my mistake or maybe a rimshot, but with general playing that happens anyway after a period of time. Just keep on drumming like usual and see if the splittages keep happening.

blujelly
10-12-2005, 02:37 PM
well only my left hand stick (i do change sticks over but normal its my left hand thats splits)

MatthewMeredith
10-12-2005, 02:44 PM
i know this aint really part of the thread but since u seem confused bout ur sticks breakin try this...

get some real thin black duck tape (it has to be a thinner brand than normal, look around it is available) and put 1 layer on the shoulder of the stick just underneath the tip..just one layer!
then just play with ur sticks for a short while to kinda break the tape in cos at first it'll slightly soften the attack on ya hi hats and crashes etc

once broken in the sound quality should be just the same as it was on ya cymbals..certainly nothing niticable... but it will prolong ur stick life by a million gazillion years!!

i break a pair of sticks..with continual use after about a month or so, with that one layer of tape my sticks have ;asted me up to 4 months before any real cracks break through and i need a new pair!

it may seem a bit silly but once the tape has broken in trust! u dont have to worry bout breakin em so much cos its gonna take a lot longer to break!

i think its cos i may just dampen the impact of wood and metal colliding...and i think it just holds the stick a bit stronger so if crack do come up its still strong enough for a few more somgs y'know??

In summary, use tape.

On a serious note, I've been playing for two years, and I am still using my origional sticks which are Wally Gator Watson sigs by Pro Mark which he gave to me personally at dinner. :thumb: Yea that's right, I've had dinner with Wally. It was amazing :D

TerranCmdr
10-12-2005, 03:44 PM
You may also be hitting your cymbals right on the edge - do you have your cymbals flat? I notice that sticks tend to break faster whilst hitting on the edge of cymbals especially when they're flat.

The Ska Man
10-12-2005, 03:47 PM
You may also be hitting your cymbals right on the edge - do you have your cymbals flat? I notice that sticks tend to break faster whilst hitting on the edge of cymbals especially when they're flat.

If you're hitting your cymbals on the edge, the last thing on you should be worried about should be your sticks!

TerranCmdr
10-12-2005, 05:05 PM
^true. Although i hit my zxt like this because i could care less about it. - doesn't really thrash my sticks that much though. it's usually the hi-hat that does the main damage.

Dummer'n'Drummer
10-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Never get Aheads aka ''cymbals muchers'' aka ''can't play not loud'' aka ''wasted 60$ on sticks that'll destroy my kit'' aka ''sticks only good if your sponsered and don't mind destroying and retuning constantly...''

Vick Firths Fusions, Vic Firths Rocks, Vic Firths 7a (not nylon tip) are all decent.....

Any stick will break when you play....

Zildjian Sticks are horrible and always break....

I passed through 3 pairs in one gig..... Never buying again....

HeLLmO
10-12-2005, 05:33 PM

i just didn't write Jappanese Oak Wood because i was just too **** lazy

steve_o_69
11-01-2005, 06:22 AM
[QUOTE=matthewmeredith]In summary, use tape.

yeah, but i always find that too many people give answers that are very short and dont actualy explain or justfy what they mean where necessary. when i post threads the best replies i find are the ones that make ure u cant mistake their point in anyway, thats what will help the guy askin the question. i know alot of people that dont understand what i mean when i tell them just stick a bit of tape on the end, maube they just stupid i dont know but its easier to make allowance for the chance of a misinterpretation.

apologies for the moan and the long post, but hey, its all about opinion

FL3P
11-01-2005, 12:39 PM
I dont think I read what kind of sticks you are using.

PMSKnives
11-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Japanese Oak do break...

Mark

gimp fest
11-01-2005, 12:45 PM
What a long post

what a waste of one ^

as someone has already said, sticks break, nothing you can really to do to prevent this. After all there not exactly the most expensive thing to replace, so i wouldn't fret about it

The Fiction We Live
11-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Sticks break... buy new ones... pro marks, vater, vic firth... they all last me a pretty good amount of time.

Drum Phil
11-01-2005, 01:47 PM

I dont get how its offensive anyway :confused:

GooseFilms.net
11-01-2005, 01:57 PM
stupid bump but, yeah, japanese oak always split when i used to use em

HazMatBlue
11-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Electric tape (or stick tape it might be called) is used by alot of people and prolongs your stick life by alot, and you can have fun with colors.

Aaron
11-01-2005, 07:24 PM

plus you'd spell it wrong :lol:
my logic is, if its good enough for peart, its good enough for me

innerlo2
11-01-2005, 09:22 PM
If its your left hand, it's gonna be the rim shots. Asuming you play right handed.

No biggy, I've seen drummers who make sticks last months, and I've seen drummers mow through them like it's a goal to rid the world of trees.

*shrug*

jrsticks
11-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Sometimes the dowels have splits in them that go unnoticed by the stick manufacturer, especially if the dowel was made near the end of a board where splits and checks happen...Normally the dowel would vibrate funny in the dowel machine and shatter and never see the light of day...but if it's a real hairline...

Double Bass Jim
11-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Stick breakage is all apart of playing.