PDA

View Full Version : alternative instruments

Fungihead
10-05-2005, 06:56 AM
does anyone play, or ever wanted to start playing an instrument which isnt guitar bass drums or keyboard

ive allways wanted to play sax for a bit of blues but never have

superdigg
10-05-2005, 07:31 AM
used to play the trombone.

now i play the skin flute :naughty:

Ulysses
10-05-2005, 07:35 AM
I played trumpet and clarinet at one stage years ago, both for brief periods of time but I would like to be a virtuoso sax player in a jazz band. Also, I wouldn't mind learning the Didgeridoo, takes a long time to master though.

the2stranger
10-05-2005, 10:24 AM
I played organ :)

kuyarey_pogi
10-05-2005, 10:43 AM

which organ?

Mazeppa
10-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Awesome.

Killtacular
10-05-2005, 01:16 PM
I'd love to be able to play the cello. Ahhh, how much that would rule.

CabbageStabbage
10-05-2005, 01:25 PM
I used to play the cello. Then I quit because I hated it. Now that I'm getting into classical music, I kinda wish I could still play.
I play the alto sax in the school band, I'm really good (compared to others).

I want to write some classical-style music, yet I don't play any instruments used in an orchestra.

Amit
10-05-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm learning bansuri flute.

Broken Arrow
10-05-2005, 02:52 PM
I used to play trumpet.

I have bongos and a harmonica. :cool:

Zappa
10-05-2005, 03:17 PM
I've been playing trumpet for 7 years.

Iskandar
10-05-2005, 03:22 PM
I can play tenor sax reasonably well. I don't own one, though.

Broken Arrow
10-05-2005, 04:10 PM
/4

/owned :(

Daniel!
10-05-2005, 05:31 PM
I play the bari sax. I can play all the Tower of Power I want.

Zappa
10-05-2005, 06:17 PM
/4

/owned :(

Ah, but I'm an astoundingly bad trumpet player.

Sam
10-05-2005, 06:28 PM
I can kinda play harmonica.

Voodoo Rabbit
10-06-2005, 04:25 AM
I used to play the cello. Then I quit because I hated it.

That's the exact same situation as me.

Although I didn't quite because I hated it.
My teacher was an absolute bitch.

Though, Recently I have been looking to start it again.

Broken Arrow
10-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Ah, but I'm an astoundingly bad trumpet player.
Probably better than me. I was decent during Grades 6-8 getting grades on the mid 90's but in Gr. 9 I was getting mid 70's.

Ned
10-07-2005, 12:35 AM

The organ is a keyboard instrument.

Ned
10-07-2005, 12:36 AM

Man, your lips must be sore. (Probably explains the hair, though.)

LF96
10-07-2005, 09:39 AM
I can play vibraphone, xylophone and other instruments of that sort. I also know how to use practically every optional percussion besides Tubular Bells (because I haven't tried that yet, I'm pretty sure I can find out how it works tho) and some other really weird percussion perhaps. My brother also started playing accordion this year and I'm planning on learning it as well in the vacations. My father has a lute laying around too (it needs new strings tho) on which I can improvise a little, but I can't say I know where the notes are or something. :)

Glitterati
10-07-2005, 09:58 AM
I played the recorder in 5th grade :cool:

I play strictly guitar now, but there's a bunch of instruments I want to learn. I'd like to learn to play drums casually, and maybe the saxaphone or trumpet.

That_Dude
10-07-2005, 09:58 PM
I just got this instrument from a thrift shop that is just 4 open strings. It sounds really creepy because the strings on it look like they have not been changed in ages.

Ned
10-07-2005, 11:22 PM
I just got this instrument from a thrift shop that is just 4 open strings. It sounds really creepy because the strings on it look like they have not been changed in ages.

Can you post a photograph?

I bought my first classical guitar in a thrift shop for eight dollars. I glued it together, sanded down the bridge, put on new strings, and used it for years (until I eventually dropped a barbell on it--ouch!)

the2stranger
10-08-2005, 04:05 AM
The organ is a keyboard instrument.

it's different though.

tell a pianist to play organ and he'll be like :confused:

I'm really interessted in making my own instruments, has anyone ever?
so really sefmade non excisting ones

Sardon
10-08-2005, 05:49 AM
I'd like to play Sax, but Those are pretty expensive. Also I'd like to play harmonica for some reason.

BringHomeTheBacon
10-08-2005, 09:25 AM
I play cello. It's a good instrument but its hard for me to write songs on it.

rockinbass17
10-08-2005, 11:02 AM
I play upright bass.

I also fiddle around on harmonica and mondolins.

Ned
10-08-2005, 04:40 PM
it's different though.

tell a pianist to play organ and he'll be like :confused:

It's very different from a piano, but an organ and a piano are both keyboard instruments.

I'm really interessted in making my own instruments, has anyone ever?
so really sefmade non excisting ones

A friend of mine made his own fretless bass guitar (or fretless-bass-guitar-like thing). I once made my own (pre-MIDI) interface to connect my analog synthesizer and my primitive analog drum machine.

Zappa
10-08-2005, 05:03 PM
My father made a three-string slide instrument out of a cookie tin, a piece of wood (for the neck), some guitar tuners, and some guitar strings. He made a pickup for it using part of a calculator.

Broken Arrow
10-08-2005, 07:33 PM
:amaze:

Do have a picture of it.

Zappa
10-08-2005, 07:38 PM
There might be one on my parents' computer. Maybe I'll look a little later.

biografiend
10-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I play alto&tenor sax, trombone, guitar, and piano somewhat. I'm really considering getting a either a vibraphone, marimba, xylophone, or glockenspiel, but I dont know which one.

deathscreamingsheep
10-09-2005, 07:52 AM
I have been playing the violin for about 11 years now and have completed my diploma in the instrument. It's difficult to write songs with, but an excellent instrument for putting lots of music theory techniques into practice. I also have nearly completed a performance certificate in flute.

Other than that I dabble in harmonica and non-standard keyboard instruments e.g. clavichord.

Zappa
10-09-2005, 07:56 AM
I play alto&tenor sax, trombone, guitar, and piano somewhat. I'm really considering getting a either a vibraphone, marimba, xylophone, or glockenspiel, but I dont know which one.

Virbraphone, if you've got the cash. Everyone hates the sound of the marimba, and the other metal keyboard percussion instruments have an unattractive "ding" sound.

robot
10-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Little kid instruments. I got a kid accordian yesterday.

metBANS
10-09-2005, 08:04 AM
I can play vibraphone, xylophone and other instruments of that sort. I also know how to use practically every optional percussion besides Tubular Bells (because I haven't tried that yet, I'm pretty sure I can find out how it works tho) and some other really weird percussion perhaps. My brother also started playing accordion this year and I'm planning on learning it as well in the vacations. My father has a lute laying around too (it needs new strings tho) on which I can improvise a little, but I can't say I know where the notes are or something. :)

I've played accordian for a while, I've actual been asked to play for 2 bands on a couple of gigs before. They play folksy-cajun rock stuff, its sweet.

Back on topic I play tons of instruments, mainly because of my ambitions to be a band director.

My principal is Trombone, my secondary is Piano, then I can play baritone/euphonium well enough to make the honors band, though I chose to play trombone since I am a heluva lot better on that. Playing baritone/euphonium = Trumpet, Tuba. And I can play all of the saxes except contrabass, and soprano, though I can't read through music perfectly Its not as though I can't finger the notes, it justs take longer to register through my mind. Same thing with clarinet and French Horn.

I need to learn, Soprano sax, flute, oboe.

The strange ones are accordian, jews harp, kind of harmonica, and a digieridoo that my friend has, though I really suck at that.

Glitterati
10-09-2005, 10:09 AM
I'd love to learn to play the piano, too.

Daniel!
10-09-2005, 12:40 PM
I'd love to learn to play the piano, too.

It is a very rewarding instrument to learn. I never liked actually playing it very much, so I quit, but things I learned while playing help me every day when playing sax.

Ned
10-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Virbraphone, if you've got the cash. Everyone hates the sound of the marimba, and the other metal keyboard percussion instruments have an unattractive "ding" sound.

Man, you're insane. I love the marimba! I'd marry it. I love the vibes too, but not as much as I love the marimba. Maybe you're just confused about what a marimba actually is. Your phrase, "the other metal keyboard percussion instruments", seems to imply that you think the marimba is metal. It is not. It's wood, and its wonderful sound is about as woody as you can get. I'm not a big xylophone fan, and I think it tends to be overused in a lot of twentieth-century orchestral pieces, especially twentieth-century orchestral by American composers.

even if they were canadian
10-09-2005, 09:59 PM
I play clarinet, and sax. I'm much better on clarinet than sax though. I'll probably be majoring in performance if I can get into a music school.

LF96
10-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Man, you're insane. I love the marimba! I'd marry it. I love the vibes too, but not as much as I love the marimba. Maybe you're just confused about what a marimba actually is. Your phrase, "the other metal keyboard percussion instruments", seems to imply that you think the marimba is metal. It is not. It's wood, and it's wonderful sound is about as woody as you can get. The xylophone is the metal one. I'm not a big xylophone fan, and I think it tends to be overused in a lot of twentieth-century orchestral pieces, especially twentieth-century orchestral by American composers.
Ehm, you're right on everything besides the xylophone, cause that one is definitely made of wood:

http://www.csdm.qc.ca/stejarc/dictionnaire/imagesdicoxyz/xylophone.jpg

The vibraphone is made of metal, and is indeed the most interesting to get imo, I like that one the most to play although I do enjoy playing the xylophone and the marimba. I like the fact that you can have that weird sound when you put the electricity on (I don't know how to formulate it in English), although that doesn't work anymore on the vibraphone in my music school.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I also know how to play the flute but I haven't played that in 3 years or something and I wasn't very good at it either...

DesolationRow
10-10-2005, 07:13 PM
I can play alto, tenor, and bari sax reasonably well. My main instrument though, is tenor sax and bass. I play both electric and upright, and on upright, i play pizzicato and learning Arco (bow) one step at a time. To anyone who wants to take up saxophone- do so. It's much easier than it looks. The fingerings are not dissimilar to a standard recorder, and there is no lip buzzing or strenuous movement of the mouth. It's one of the easiest instruments to take up, in my opinion.

Bluesiestman
10-10-2005, 07:18 PM
i want to learn every instrument i can possibly afford to own.

magicbus
10-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Right now I only play guitar, but I'd like to learn harmonica, pedal steel guitar, and sitar (seriously). I used to play the cello, but that was like 8 years ago.

Delay Pedal Boy
10-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Yous guys know nothing of weird instruments, except maybe Zappa's dad's contraption. Ever heard of the Samchillian Tip Tip Tip Cheeepeeeeee?

http://samchillian.com/aboutsam.html

Read that sht.

Janeway
10-13-2005, 01:51 PM
I've played alto sax since 4th grade and I really want to start soprano.
Either that or tenor, because I'd probably get more use from that.

antiant
10-13-2005, 02:30 PM
I'd like to try and play the doumbek (i have one at home and only know a few beats here and there not much at all) http://www.asza.com/idumbek.shtml and http://nasehpour.tripod.com/peyman/id58.html and i'd have to 2nd that with blusiestman's comment, like a jack/jane of all trades

CabbageStabbage
10-13-2005, 02:52 PM
i want to learn every instrument i can possibly afford to own.

Me too, but then I'd own zero.

My school has a xylphone, I play it a lunchtime pretty much daily. Apparently, we're gonna get a vibraphone. They sound great in an orchestra.

I would love to learn violins, or violas, but the learning curve is huge. My fingers also can't fit together close enough for violin. And the alto clef is what repels me from viola.

Phatstrat
10-13-2005, 03:05 PM
I play the bass, guitar, drums, dulcimer, and harmonica. I want to learn to play a banjo and piano though.

morrissey
10-13-2005, 03:06 PM
I have played flute and tenor sax in the past. I've been playing trombone casually for a few years now.

I am beyond dreadful at all of them. But it's fun.

Zappa
10-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Man, you're insane. I love the marimba! I'd marry it. I love the vibes too, but not as much as I love the marimba. Maybe you're just confused about what a marimba actually is. Your phrase, "the other metal keyboard percussion instruments", seems to imply that you think the marimba is metal. It is not. It's wood, and it's wonderful sound is about as woody as you can get. The xylophone is the metal one. I'm not a big xylophone fan, and I think it tends to be overused in a lot of twentieth-century orchestral pieces, especially twentieth-century orchestral by American composers.

By "the other metal keyboard percussion instruments" I meant "the ones that aren't a vibraphone." I know that marimbas are made of wood.

The reason I say that about marimba is that I have a friend who makes recordings at his house that heavily feature marimba, and most of the people I've known to speak candidly about it claim that the marimba's sound is very irritating to them.

I personally don't have much against the marimba, but I definitely prefer the spacey sounds that can come out of the vibraphone.

Iskandar
10-13-2005, 03:24 PM
The vibraphone is definitely the coolest mallet percussion instrument. Unfortunately it's also one of the more expensive, and it's not very portable ...

The marimba is really quite irritating. Its cheesy sound belongs only in Donkey Kong 64 music, not an actual band.

Ned
10-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Ehm, you're right on everything besides the xylophone, cause that one is definitely made of wood:

Thank you. I stand corrected. It's a hardwood that sounds metallic to me. I much prefer the mellow marimba.

Ned
10-15-2005, 12:21 AM
By "the other metal keyboard percussion instruments" I meant "the ones that aren't a vibraphone." I know that marimbas are made of wood.

The reason I say that about marimba is that I have a friend who makes recordings at his house that heavily feature marimba, and most of the people I've known to speak candidly about it claim that the marimba's sound is very irritating to them.

I personally don't have much against the marimba, but I definitely prefer the spacey sounds that can come out of the vibraphone.

I'm tempted to conclude either that your friend is abusing the marimba or that most of the people you've known have no taste.

Ned
10-15-2005, 12:22 AM
The vibraphone is definitely the coolest mallet percussion instrument. Unfortunately it's also one of the more expensive, and it's not very portable ...

The marimba is really quite irritating. Its cheesy sound belongs only in Donkey Kong 64 music, not an actual band.

Like this twit, for example.

Lydisk
10-15-2005, 05:40 AM
the kazoo.
no wait.

next year i will play sax in a brass band but until then i am but a sucky guitar player

Voodoo Rabbit
10-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Just now, I play :-
Drums,
Keyboard,
A little Xylophone.

I used to play :-
Violin - Which I switched to Cello.

It's rather annoying when I'm playing a keyboard peice, and am trying to read the notation in Bass Clef, instead of Treble.

Glitterati
10-16-2005, 03:51 PM

I played the glockenspiel in a fourth grade play :cool:

Robert Crumb
10-16-2005, 04:20 PM
I was watching the special features of a movie a week or two ago (Triplets of Belleville,) and they used a vacuum cleaner and got some really nice sounds out of it. I tried it with my vacuum but it didn't work quite so well. I just got a hickey on my hands.

I played Clarinet (briefly) and I'd like to take that up again. Really, I'd just like to play around on any instrument that I could get my hands on.

IanEye
10-18-2005, 09:42 AM
the kazoo.
no wait.

next year i will play sax in a brass band but until then i am but a sucky guitar player

Sax, in a BRASS BAND?

I play Euphonium and Bass trombone and will be taking diploma next year(for Euphonium)

ed3r
10-22-2005, 04:07 AM
ive been playing tenor sax for 7 years and clarinet for just under 1. im thinking of picking up the bass clarinet soon.

Ned
10-23-2005, 02:21 AM
I was watching the special features of a movie a week or two ago (Triplets of Belleville,) and they used a vacuum cleaner and got some really nice sounds out of it. I tried it with my vacuum but it didn't work quite so well. I just got a hickey on my hands.Okay, that's an "alternative instrument".

(Love the Avatar. Have you seen the Honor Blackman's?)

joshmay
10-23-2005, 06:08 PM
i second Ned (haha as i do on most everything?) that a marimba is definitely far superior to the rest of the malleted keyboard percussion instruments.

joshmay
10-23-2005, 06:09 PM
oh, by the way

i play banjo, ukulele, dulcimer, upright bass, talking drum, gopichand, a bit of didgeridoo...

cicatriz
10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
I would absolutely love to play the harp. Also, my Dad found a Sitar in a skip. Just needs a little TLC, and I'm gonna try to learn it.

something vague
10-25-2005, 04:29 PM
I play autoharp, harmonica, banjo, mandolin, random electronic blippy instruments, fan, assorted xylophone-type instruments, etc.

Scarred4Life
10-25-2005, 06:50 PM
I've played violin for....coming up to 13 years now. I am also able to play clarinet, flute, alto sax and anything I sit down to given a few hours.

something vague
10-26-2005, 04:29 PM
I really want a pedal-steel right about now.

Spouge
10-28-2005, 08:45 PM
I play the Bass Clarinet and Clarinet. I've been playing both for about 6 years. I'm better on the Bass Clarinet and I play in the school concert band. Concert band was canceled and they don't write jazz band music for Bass Clarinet so I'm kinda screwed right now unless I play music for tenor sax.

i2 enegade
10-30-2005, 10:03 AM
I want to learn violin.

CabbageStabbage
10-30-2005, 12:17 PM
What instrument is it that they always use in aztec/maya movies. You know, the flute thingy. Pan flutes?

Also, what's the name of the huge wooden flute that the guy plays in Kill Bill 2?

Robert Crumb
10-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Okay, that's an "alternative instrument".

(Love the Avatar. Have you seen the Honor Blackman's?)

Nope. Actually, I stole this off an album cover. But MacNee strikes such a dashing figure, even if it's just his head at 70x70.

LifeIsDandy
10-30-2005, 08:03 PM
I've been playing Clarinet for 5 years now, and I've been wanting to pick up the sax for quite some time. I hope to buy some sometime in the near future, once I find a used one for a decent price.

Sleeper
10-30-2005, 08:11 PM
I used to Turntable, but yeh.

That_Dude
11-01-2005, 05:33 PM
The next insterment i will get will probibly be a sitar.

LifeIsDandy
11-02-2005, 07:25 PM
The next insterment i will get will probibly be a sitar.

I once told my mother I wanted to play the sitar, she laughed at me because she thought I was kidding:upset:

CantBuyAThrill
11-02-2005, 11:19 PM
I really want to learn Sitar. And pedal steel guitar.

I play some Harmonica.

blue3
11-03-2005, 01:25 AM
I'd like to learn alto or tenor sax. I can play some flute, trumpet, clarinet and harmonica.