PDA

View Full Version : World's Fastest Drummer?---Gimme a break!

BonesTheRiot
10-04-2005, 05:51 PM
It has recently come to my attention that the drummer for Abigail's Ghost is none other than "world champ" Seth Davis. Apparantly he broke some record for playing doubles or something a couple of years ago. They have new videos up of him now on the Abigail's Ghost site and I am NOT impressed. Hell, the drummer from my dad's polka band can go that fast. You guys gotta check this jackass out http://www.abigailsghost.com/video.html . I guess they give anybody a world record these days. ;)

Trivium
10-04-2005, 05:52 PM
url not found

and I really want to see this

Shadows Within
10-04-2005, 05:53 PM
who cares? this threads illegal i believe or it should be in the drums forum.

Thor
10-04-2005, 05:53 PM
I guess they give anybody a world record these days. ;)
No, they don't.

BonesTheRiot
10-04-2005, 05:59 PM
url not found

and I really want to see this

ok i edited the url, it should work now, watch it

BonesTheRiot
10-04-2005, 06:01 PM

bro, this guy claims to be one of metal's up and coming drummers, that's why it fits. just look at the stuff on www.worldsfastestdrummer.com! He calls himself "bad boy" for heven's sake!

Thor
10-04-2005, 06:02 PM
bro, this guy claims to be one of metal's up and coming drummers, that's why it fits. just look at the stuff on www.worldsfastestdrummer.com! He calls himself "bad boy" for heven's sake!
This thread is still illegal though.

PorcupineShrub85
10-04-2005, 06:03 PM
It has recently come to my attention that the drummer for Abigail's Ghost is none other than "world champ" Seth Davis. Apparantly he broke some record for playing doubles or something a couple of years ago. They have new videos up of him now on the Abigail's Ghost site and I am NOT impressed. Hell, the drummer from my dad's polka band can go that fast. You guys gotta check this jackass out http://www.abigailsghost.com/video.html . I guess they give anybody a world record these days. ;)

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?!? Are you like 13 years old or something?

circlethedrain
10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
was pretty cool cept the last video

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 06:06 PM
apparently a guy called Tim waterson is the fastest, but i really do believe that the drummer from Mithras owns him.

Shazzam
10-04-2005, 06:06 PM
I thought tht guy was pretty fast, especially for that long of a time period.

Shadows Within
10-04-2005, 06:09 PM
apparently a guy called Tim waterson is the fastest, but i really do believe that the drummer from Mithras owns him.
i think tim waterson was double bass?

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 06:11 PM
i think tim waterson was double bass?

ah yes, that's the one, i knew he was supposedly fastest at something though

PorcupineShrub85
10-04-2005, 06:12 PM
I thought tht guy was pretty fast, especially for that long of a time period.

yea same here, not everyone has endurance like that. it takes a lot of practice to build it up to that level.

IgnisShade
10-04-2005, 06:19 PM
I thought that was pretty fast. I haven't actually seen faster so...yea, that was pretty cool. The last video was kinda out of place though.

Silenius
10-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Agreed, that guy is insane.

BonesTheRiot
10-04-2005, 06:20 PM
yea same here, not everyone has endurance like that. it takes a lot of practice to build it up to that level.

look man, I can name a lot of metal/rock drummers with WAY MORE endurance than this guy: Nick Barker, Lars Ulrich, Neil Peart...I could go on...easy. And none of those guys (who really deserve it) ever got a "world champ" award. am I the only one on this forum that thinks that is bunk?!?!?

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 06:22 PM
look man, I can name a lot of metal/rock drummers with WAY MORE endurance than this guy: Nick Barker, Lars Ulrich, Neil Peart...I could go on...easy. And none of those guys (who really deserve it) ever got a "world champ" award. am I the only one on this forum that thinks that is bunk?!?!?

wow...................you really have no idea do you?

i really wasn't that impressed at all:( The drummer from my band goes a little bit faster then that, He wasn't doing anything complicated either, just rebound hits (or whatever the drum term is for it) on the snare. At least i think that's what he was doing :confused:

Chu
10-04-2005, 06:23 PM
He's not saying Lars is better, just has more endurance, and I somewhat agree....

Lars is a **** drummer yes, but he has a hell of a lot of endurance for an old guy :p

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 06:24 PM
lars ulrich????

dude this guy makes lars ulrich look like he's never even played drums

PorcupineShrub85
10-04-2005, 06:24 PM

dude, Lars Ulrich???... :confused:

you really are 13 aren't you buddy

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 06:27 PM
He's not saying Lars is better, just has more endurance, and I somewhat agree....

Lars is a **** drummer yes, but he has a hell of a lot of endurance for an old guy :p

endurance for what? :p he barely plays anything well

if you want endurance, think Mike portnoy

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 06:27 PM
he's not using "rebounds", trust me this guy definitely earned his record. if you notice on the video when he switches to playing on the floor tom, though you can barely make out that he's playing on the floor tom due to the low sound quality, he's playing incredibly fast. this is a dennis chambers type lick and he does it just as well if not better than chambers. i will be looking into this seth davis guy

PorcupineShrub85
10-04-2005, 06:29 PM

AMEN

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 06:30 PM
http://www.mithras.org.uk/Images/Mithras%20%20-%20Worlds%20Beyond%20The%20Veil%20-%20Worlds%20Beyond%20The%20Veil%20-%20isolated%20drum%20section.mp3

have a gander anyone, Mithras drummer on double bass

Shadows Within
10-04-2005, 06:31 PM

i really dont see why people call him a bad drummer...... btw i always wondered this but who invented the double bass (or made it popular)?

Freezing Moon
10-04-2005, 06:32 PM

:lol:!

He pours sweat after half a song!

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 06:33 PM
i really dont see why people call him a bad drummer......who invented the double bass (or made it popular)

well, believe it or not, but i think slipknot made it popular:( It was certainly the first time i had heard of double bass.

I just think he's a highly overrated drummer

Chu
10-04-2005, 06:34 PM

Or the guy from Cryptopsy (Flo?), they play their songs like 2x faster Live, they're already insane on record :eek:

PinkFreud
yeah, you guys realize that he's not buzz rolling, those are all individual hits. thats **** fast.

ps: eh, mike portnoy. venture into the drum forum and you'll realize that he's a tad overrated.

edit: chu, there are plenty of older drummers who have much more endurance.

Freezing Moon
On the Mithras mp3 at the very end it almost sounds like delay is used on it...

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Or the guy from Cryptopsy (Flo?), they play their songs like 2x faster Live, they're already insane on record :eek:

i know, many times have i compared open face surgery to it's liver version:D it's amazing

Shadows Within
well, believe it or not, but i think slipknot made it popular:( It was certainly the first time i had heard of double bass.

i admit hes not great but hes not horrible or as bad as people on here tend to make it out to be. and im SURE slipknot dident make it popular....id have to say slayer did but i was wondering who ws the first to do it?

hes crazy i watch that graves of the fathers live video on there site all hte time i dont really get tired of it.

Moses
he's not using "rebounds", trust me this guy definitely earned his record. if you notice on the video when he switches to playing on the floor tom, though you can barely make out that he's playing on the floor tom due to the low sound quality, he's playing incredibly fast. this is a dennis chambers type lick and he does it just as well if not better than chambers. i will be looking into this seth davis guy
You seem to be the only person in here that knows anything about drums.

I'm telling you all that he's definately the fastest any of you have seen. It's Buddy Rich's secret, that's hasn't really been a secret for a while. That Dennis Chamber's lick is the standard lick that they use to figure out where to put them in the record books.

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 06:39 PM

uhhh....ginger baker, keith moon, carmine appice, nick mason, etc. were all playing it before jordison. ****, even carey was using it before jordison.

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 06:40 PM
i've seen a great deal of great drummers ( i'm a graduate of berklee college and a professional drummer) and this guy definitely smokes. i'd like to see his feet though as i've just read on the pearl drummer forum that his double bass technique is killer. he's supposedly coming out with a DVD as well.

lightningmetal666
10-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Dave Lombardo hands down.

Shadows Within
10-04-2005, 06:43 PM
i've seen a great deal of great drummers ( i'm a graduate of berklee college and a professional drummer) and this guy definitely smokes. i'd like to see his feet though as i've just read on the pearl drummer forum that his double bass technique is killer. he's supposedly coming out with a DVD as well.
i highly doubt it but do you know a guitar instructor named shaun michaud?

PorcupineShrub85
10-04-2005, 06:45 PM
i highly doubt it but do you know a guitar instructor named shaun michaud?

haha I know shaun. I had him for private instruction last semester. He used to play THE MOST DIFFICULT **** I have ever had to learn. His stuff with Event was amazingly difficult (not that great sounding, but def hard).

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 06:46 PM
sure, he's actually one of my friend's private instructors. plays for the band Event. great guy

Shadows Within
10-04-2005, 06:47 PM
lol cool my frind whos 14 is going to lessons with him on friday to get prepped for berklee.
haha I know shaun. I had him for private instruction last semester. He used to play THE MOST DIFFICULT **** I have ever had to learn. His stuff with Event was amazingly difficult (not that great sounding, but def hard).
me and my friend heard some stuff off his electric skies album iv met him before.....his music realllllly wierd.

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 06:48 PM
uhhh....ginger baker, keith moon, carmine appice, nick mason, etc. were all playing it before jordison. ****, even carey was using it before jordison.

no, i said made it popular, it was certainly the first time a lot of people of my generation had heard double bass, through slipknot

anyway, here is Flo Mournier, he goes quite insane in this little drum solo

http://www.flomounier.com/videos/FloMounierDrumSolohigh.html

Daven
10-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Sean Reinert is a great drummer indeed. His work on Death really stands out.

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 06:51 PM
derek roddy is probably the best death metal drummer i know of

lightningmetal666
10-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I love the guy from Meshuggah's playing. Don't know his name though.

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 06:52 PM
i know you said made it popular. but is it hard to believe that after moon, baker, and mason, drummers in some of the most popular bands in the world, couldve maybe popularized it?

besides, if youre looking for specifically modern drummers using it, im sure carey's opened more people's ears to the double bass.

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 06:55 PM
tomas haake

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 06:59 PM
i know you said made it popular. but is it hard to believe that after moon, baker, and mason, drummers in some of the most popular bands in the world, couldve maybe popularized it?

besides, if youre looking for specifically modern drummers using it, im sure carey's opened more people's ears to the double bass.

slipknot were much more in the mainstream before Tool was, and even today, Tool isn't fully mainstream. I mean, people i know who don't listen to metal, if they hear the name slipknot, they say "what, you like them coz the guys got that bass thing yea?" And if you ask them if they know Tool, a lot of people don't. And Excuse me for sounding very ignorant.............but where are moon, baker and mason from :p ..sorry, i really don't know:( I'll most likely know the band, but not the drummers names.

Moses
10-04-2005, 07:03 PM
I love the guy from Meshuggah's playing. Don't know his name though.
Thomas Haake, god of syncopation and polyrhythms.

Drunken Viking
10-04-2005, 07:03 PM
slipknot were much more in the mainstream before Tool was, and even today, Tool isn't fully mainstream. I mean, people i know who don't listen to metal, if they hear the name slipknot, they say "what, you like them coz the guys got that bass thing yea?"
My friends and your friends are way different, most of them dont know what bass drums are, when I mention Slipknot they are like, who?, or oh you mean those large bundle of stickss who wear masks.
^^^Should be fag*got **** swear filter :lol: .

And if you ask them if they know Tool, a lot of people don't. And Excuse me for sounding very ignorant.............but where are moon, baker and mason from :p ..sorry, i really don't know:( I'll most likely know the band, but not the drummers names.
Moon is from "The Who", and Baker is from "Cream", but I dont know mason.

Shadows Within
10-04-2005, 07:05 PM
My friends and your friends are way different, most of them dont know what bass drums are, when I mention Slipknot they are like, who?, or oh you mean those large bundle of stickss who wear masks.

what are they like pop-punk kids or are you older?

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 07:06 PM
i believe that tool were in the mainstream before slipknot were even a band. if you recall, tool playing at lollapalooza '93 and the undertow and aenima music videos being played on MTV during prime time hours made them quite popular in the "mainstream underground". this was before slipknot was even formed, which was the end of 1995. it was around this time that tool were finishing work on aenima. slipknot didn't reach mainstream status until the release of their first album in '98 or '99.

Daven
10-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Derek Roddy is from Meshuggah i think.

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 07:11 PM
derek roddy is in Nile (not sure if he still is)
Tomas Haake is in Meshuggah

just to clear things up

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 07:13 PM
btw seth davis' band Abigail's Ghost sounds really great from what i hear

Daven
10-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Oh sorry about that.

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 07:14 PM
slipknot were much more in the mainstream before Tool was, and even today, Tool isn't fully mainstream. I mean, people i know who don't listen to metal, if they hear the name slipknot, they say "what, you like them coz the guys got that bass thing yea?" And if you ask them if they know Tool, a lot of people don't. And Excuse me for sounding very ignorant.............but where are moon, baker and mason from :p ..sorry, i really don't know:( I'll most likely know the band, but not the drummers names.
depends on who you ask. haha.

moon = the who
baker = cream
mason = pink floyd

kurt98
10-04-2005, 07:16 PM

Yea, you definetly need good endurance when your playing those half an hour long instrumentals. :p

Det_Nosnip
10-04-2005, 07:17 PM

Hehe...nope. Portnoy's actually a rather average drummer when it comes to....well, just about anything except for writing long songs and hand/foot trades.

Yea, you definetly need good endurance when your playing those half an hour long instrumentals. :p

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but either way, it's not true. Portnoy's playing is not very demanding physically at all. Considering that most drummers practice for an average of 1-2 hours a day, and others for 4, 5, or more hours, I somehow doubt that a 30 minute song is going to be THAT taxing. :rolleyes:

Anyways, WFD is a huge pile of ****. One or two respectable players have been there (Mike Mangini holds the record for traditional grip, I believe), but most of 'em are worthless. I really don't have any respect for most of those guys...speed is nothing if it isn't clean. If you REALLY want to see some impressive work, check out the Blue Devils and DCI.

Det_Nosnip
10-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Derek Roddy is from Meshuggah i think.

No.

derek roddy is in Nile (not sure if he still is)
Tomas Haake is in Meshuggah

just to clear things up

No. George Kollias now plays for Nile, replacing Tony Laureno, who had been with the band since 2000.

Derek Roddy is from Hate Eternal, guys. If you're not sure, http://www.google.com/

Shadows Within
10-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Hehe...nope. Portnoy's actually a rather average drummer when it comes to....well, just about anything except for writing long songs and hand/foot trades.

Anyways, WFD is a huge pile of ****. One or two respectable players have been there (Mike Mangini holds the record for traditional grip, I believe), but most of 'em are worthless. I really don't have any respect for most of those guys...speed is nothing if it isn't clean. If you REALLY want to see some impressive work, check out the Blue Devils and DCI.
:lol: thats exactly what my drum teacher said when i asked what he thought of mike portony.

Daven
10-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I searched on google and it appears that he has been on Hate Eternal, Malevolent Creation, Nile, Divine Empire, Aurora Borealis and Council Of The Fallen.

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 07:23 PM
i knew he was in nile at one point because i own one of their albums that he played on. no need for google.

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
:lol: thats exactly what my drum teacher said when i asked what he thought of mike portony.
and its also what any experienced to semiexperienced drummer or drum enthusiast would tell you.

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 07:25 PM
I definitely wouldn't say that Mike Portnoy is an "average" drummer. I think that is grossly underestimating a talented musician. While he may not be the most technically gifted drummer, he more than makes up for it with a creative impetus that a lot of people wish they could have. While, I'm not personally a huge Dream Theater fan, I respect what they do.

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 07:28 PM
I definitely wouldn't say that Mike Portnoy is an "average" drummer. I think that is grossly underestimating a talented musician. While he may not be the most technically gifted drummer, he more than makes up for it with a creative impetus that a lot of people wish they could have. While, I'm not personally a huge Dream Theater fan, I respect what they do.
he's average in the sense that there are many drummers that are technically better AND more creative than him, yet he gets heaps of undeserved credit, as seen in this thread.

Det_Nosnip
10-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeppers.

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Well, this thread has once again proven that my knowledge of drums is close to pathetic:) and that i should stick with my guitar:p

Shadows Within
10-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Well, this thread has once again proven that my knowledge of drums is close to pathetic:) and that i should stick with my guitar:p
ditto :lol:

deathmetal853
10-04-2005, 07:47 PM
u guys r gay. The worlds fastest drummer would be either brann dailor of mastodon or dave lombardo of slayer

Grey Incision
10-04-2005, 07:47 PM
u guys r gay. The worlds fastest drummer would be either brann dailor of mastodon or dave lombardo of slayer

At least i can pride myself on knowing more than this guy:D

deathmetal853
10-04-2005, 07:48 PM
**** off

Shadows Within
you arent gonna get very far on here callin people gay....and those guys deffinitly arent the fastest.

nietzschechild
i would consider an average drummer to be the common guy you see in a bar playing radio standards. an "average" drummer doesn't tour the world and win consecutive modern drummer awards. obviously, he's done something right.

deathmetal853
skroo u

Shadows Within
10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
skroo u
lol nerd :lol:

Det_Nosnip
10-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Wow, you're cool. (directed at the deathmetal kid, not you Laiho ;) )

Shadows Within
10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Wow, you're cool
dont need ot tell me that :cool:

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
i would consider an average drummer to be the common guy you see in a bar playing radio standards. an "average" drummer doesn't tour the world and win consecutive modern drummer awards. obviously, he's done something right.
eh, there are plenty of average drummers touring (see: the strokes, green day, numerous other bands). i suppose average might not be the right word. maybe good. but certainly not great or outstanding.

the things that he did right were choosing excellent bandmates and finding the right niche in the music market and targeting it.

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 08:01 PM
let's just keep portnoy out of the same league as tre cool lol

heavy metal kid
10-04-2005, 08:05 PM
i don't know nothing about drumms or drumming.

But i know Portnoy and Tim Alexander are good drummers.( at least i enjoy their music).

Huber
10-04-2005, 08:05 PM
I kinda skimmed the thread, and I'll just say that playing with triggers like the Mithras drummer, while not easy AT ALL, isn't as fast as you think. he doesn't have to hit the drums at full force like people without triggers do because the trigger will pick up even light hits.

The guy from The Berzerker is supposed to have some insane hands. I don't think any of us actually know who the fastest drummer in the world is.

Det_Nosnip
10-04-2005, 08:07 PM

*Shrug* I'd consider an average drummer to be a drummer with average abilities. There are plenty of "common guys you see in a bar" that could easily blow Portnoy out of the sky. Sadly, in this day and age, popularity and talent don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm not saying that Mike is NOT talented...not by any means. Portnoy is definitely solid, that's for sure, but his feel is also rather flate and stale. He's clean, but his hands are rather weak. Just about anyone who's done intensive rudimental work (DCI, marching) will have better hand chops than Portnoy. Feet chops...think about how many gazillion black/death metal bands there are out there. Are these the most important skills that make a musician? Absolutely not. However, I would never cite Portnoy as an example of technical prowess or "endurance."

Dr. Jake Destructo
10-04-2005, 08:07 PM

I hate to burst your bubble here, but triggers are cheating. :)

How come everyone keeps talking about Abigail's Ghost? I mean, they don't even have a single song out yet, and there's all this hype about them. Their CD is projected for a late 06 release, as well, so I'm going to guess that they're the next Velvet Revolver, in the sense that they're just another "acclaimed" rock band who, once people heard their music, ended up being lackluster at best.

They do supposedly take many cues from Porcupine Tree, though, so I am totally down to listen, once they get something released.

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 08:09 PM
*Shrug* I'd consider an average drummer to be a drummer with average abilities. There are plenty of "common guys you see in a bar" that could easily blow Portnoy out of the sky. Sadly, in this day and age, popularity and talent don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm not saying that Mike is NOT talented...not by any means. Portnoy is definitely solid, that's for sure, but his feel is also rather flate and stale. He's clean, but his hands are rather weak. Just about anyone who's done intensive rudimental work (DCI, marching) will have better hand chops than Portnoy. Feet chops...think about how many gazillion black/death metal bands there are out there. Are these the most important skills that make a musician? Absolutely not. However, I would never cite Portnoy as an example of technical prowess or "endurance."
this is true too. it appears that i am the john kerry of this thread.

Huber
10-04-2005, 08:13 PM
I hate to burst your bubble here, but triggers are cheating. :)

I know I just basically said triggers don't really show speed. Endurance is definetly still a factor though, and it takes a different technique.

You gotta give the guys who use triggers a break. They almost have to do it. I'm sure you've heard some guys pumping out some crazy double bass (Dave Lombardo for example), yet you could barely hear it. That's because acoustic double bass gets muffled and bunched up and almost sound muted when at high speeds. Now imagine the even further excelled speeds of bands like Mithras. They are going to need the trigger for you to even hear the sound.

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 08:14 PM
hahahaha

Shadows
10-04-2005, 08:15 PM
The guy from The Berzerker is supposed to have some insane hands. I don't think any of us actually know who the fastest drummer in the world is.
He was rumored to be able to hit at 19 bp/s with one hand. I've seen Berzerker videos, and I think it's definitely possible. I've heard from drummers that he kind of cheats by resting his arm on his leg during blast beats or something like that; I'm not a drummer so I couldn't tell you. He's most assuredly fast as all hell though.

Huber
10-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Drummers who use blast beats normally keep there sticks really low and turn the snare mic up. That way, like triggers, the slightest hit will do the trick and they can reach those insane speeds.

Chu
10-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Meh, I really like Portnoy especially on The Glass Prison at about 1:49 when he comes in, I don't believe that sounds very easy at all, but then again, I'm not a drummer, so what do I know!
Although I believe that song is made for drums, and the guitar/keyboards are really just complimenting Portnoy. :D

Shadows
10-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Drummers who use blast beats normally keep there sticks really low and turn the snare mic up. That way, like triggers, the slightest hit will do the trick and they can reach those insane speeds.
Hahahaha, but what happens when they stop doing blast beats and start hitting at normal force again? Isn't the sound painfully deafening?

/drum n00b

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Meh, I really like Portnoy especially on The Glass Prison at about 1:49 when he comes in, I don't believe that sounds very easy at all, but then again, I'm not a drummer, so what do I know!
Although I believe that song is made for drums, and the guitar/keyboards are really just complimenting Portnoy. :D
much of the stuff that portnoy plays sounds complicated yet isnt upon closer inspection. a fairly experienced drummer with a good grasp of time signatures and some ok chops could tackle his stuff.

Det_Nosnip
10-04-2005, 08:20 PM
I know I just basically said triggers don't really show speed. Endurance is definetly still a factor though, and it takes a different technique.

You gotta give the guys who use triggers a break. They almost have to do it. I'm sure you've heard some guys pumping out some crazy double bass (Dave Lombardo for example), yet you could barely hear it. That's because acoustic double bass gets muffled and bunched up and almost sound muted when at high speeds. Now imagine the even further excelled speeds of bands like Mithras. They are going to need the trigger for you to even hear the sound.

Although I agree with you on principle in that triggers are necessary after a point, Lombardo would be one of those rare examples of a drummer who can actually pull it off without them.

Huber
10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Hahahaha, but what happens when they stop doing blast beats and start hitting at normal force again? Isn't the sound painfully deafening?

/drum n00b

Good point. I have no idea. Look for some videos of Flo, or Roddy, or someone though and you'll notice that when they are blasting they almost lay there stick on the snare rim and do a kind of see-saw motion.

This isn't really to bring down these drummers. Extreme Metal just uses totally different techniques. It still takes loads of stamina and practice.

Although I agree with you on principle in that triggers are necessary after a point, Lombardo would be one of those rare examples of a drummer who can actually pull it off without them.

True. Dave is awesome. It just bothers me sometimes that I can barely hear his bass.

The moments of him on the MD Festival 2000 DVD are really cool. Everyone should check em' out.

Sorry, I keep editting this, but I also wanted to mention that on God Hates Us All, you can hear the bass pretty well. I think he should turn up the bass like he did on that album.

King_Of_Terrors
10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?!? Are you like 13 years old or something?

It doesn't matter, you were 13 once.

Det_Nosnip
10-04-2005, 08:23 PM
much of the stuff that portnoy plays sounds complicated yet isnt upon closer inspection. a fairly experienced drummer with a good grasp of time signatures and some ok chops could tackle his stuff.

Yep. Slow it down, and it's not too difficult. I've gone through a few parts of the Dance of Eternity, which is supposed to be Portnoy's big "wow" song. Am I bothered to learn the entire song? Well, no....that would take forever. Given enough time, I could easily get it.

Now, "Lacrymosa" by Symphony X is an entirely different story altogether.

Huber
10-04-2005, 08:25 PM
The guy from Symphony X is underrated. He deserves some props.

Dr. Jake Destructo
10-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Aren't triggers used like compressors in guitar rigs? They just make the hits sound the same volume. They kind of bottleneck the volume range so that everything sounds closer to the same, or in some cases, exactly the same. It really eliminates the dynamics from a drummer's playing, (which to me is more important than anything), but I guess with blastbeats, it's more important to have a sound of clarity. :p Take Tomas Haake for example. The guy can play just as fast as most drummers, while doing a foot/hand polyrythm, and he can also throw in some ghost notes to add a whole new dimension to his playing.

KittensInMicrowaves
10-04-2005, 08:30 PM
extreme metal drumming has to be the hardest endurance wise just because of all the hits... i'm no drumming expert, but consistent blast beats and double bass kicks sound like a heck of a workout!

favorite blast beats:

nile
the black dahlia murder

outside the realm of extreme metal, pick up Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation by Darkest Hour and just listen to the fills and drum activity throughout the entire album. The guy is a beast... it really shows on that album

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 08:32 PM
endurance wise, possibly. all around though, jazz is a complete killer. theres so much to incorporate into the drumming! and its no walk in the park for endurance.

Huber
10-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Aren't triggers used like compressors in guitar rigs? They just make the hits sound the same volume. They kind of bottleneck the volume range so that everything sounds closer to the same, or in some cases, exactly the same. It really eliminates the dynamics from a drummer's playing, (which to me is more important than anything), but I guess with blastbeats, it's more important to have a sound of clarity. :p Take Tomas Haake for example. The guy can play just as fast as most drummers, while doing a foot/hand polyrythm, and he can also throw in some ghost notes to add a whole new dimension to his playing.

That's why even Gene Hoglan agrees, Haake is the best in metal :D

Haake rarely reaches the speed of the fast DM bands though.

Once again I stress it's a completely different technique. Most drummers (whether it's correct or not) normally play there bass pedals with the "toe-ball" of their feet. DM drummers use ONLY there ankle, moving there heel up and down. I tried practicing the Extreme Metal way and playing regular good old metal licks I always play (Jordison licks, Mastodon stuff) and it was way harder, I had to go back to the regular style most players use. When playing extreme metal it's almost like another instrument.

Dr. Jake Destructo
10-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Don't some drummers use both hell and toe? I've heard this, and it could be total BS, but just figured I'd double check here. I mean, can they alternate h/t, to get double the speed?

Huber
10-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Don't some drummers use both hell and toe? I've heard this, and it could be total BS, but just figured I'd double check here. I mean, can they alternate h/t, to get double the speed?

Yeah. I quote my drum teacher:

"Watching Thomas Lang play like that made me just want to quit drumming."

In other words, people who do that (like Thomas Lang), are absolutely insane.

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 08:47 PM
heel-toe technique is actually pretty common in drumming. single pedal players can use it to sound almost like a double bass and double bass players use it to get more speed.

Huber
10-04-2005, 08:50 PM
heel-toe technique is actually pretty common in drumming. single pedal players can use it to sound almost like a double bass and double bass players use it to get more speed.

Oh I see what you guys mean. I was thinking of those crazy two-way pedals.

El_Goodo
10-04-2005, 08:53 PM
We all know Ringo Starr is the world's best drummer anyways, he doesn't need any world records.

Britton
10-04-2005, 08:54 PM
I'm not that impressed

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm not that impressed
are you a drummer?

Cardboard Headgear
10-04-2005, 09:33 PM
The guy from Symphony X is underrated. He deserves some props.
Indeed, Jason Rullo is a good drummer (I'm afraid to say great in this thread, you'll all just tear me a new one most likely). I found it amusing that at Gigantour all these terrible opening bands were using triggers for their kick drums when it wasnt neccessary at all, and then Rullo comes out with his mic'ed kicks and smokes the others. Not to mention the guy is the size of a hobbit, watching him reach for his cymbals was like a kid going for the cookie jar on top of the fridge!

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
haha, no, rullo actually IS great.

Moses
10-04-2005, 09:47 PM
He's best in the intro of 6:00 on Awake.

StreetlightRock
10-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Man, this is why we need the yop drummers poll! My favroute metal drummer would probably have to be Sean Reinheart, I just love his style and creativity, but I hardly hear him mentioned =(

Moses
10-04-2005, 09:50 PM
I'd like to run that poll......

PepsiMetal
10-04-2005, 09:52 PM
That was pretty good. Dont know about fastest, but he's pretty quick.

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
i'd like to assist in that poll.

Moses
10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
He wasn't buzzing though, he was actually hitting it every time and that's why I wouldn't doubt the statement that he's the fastest drummer..

PinkFreud
10-04-2005, 10:03 PM
exactly. thats what non-drummers dont realize.

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 10:08 PM
i am definitely impressed by him

$$$$$K0rn4lyf666$$$$$
10-04-2005, 10:22 PM
he not as ****ing good as the drummer 4 KoRn!! **** ******* *** **** *** /m\\

Killtacular
10-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Please die soon.

nietzschechild
10-04-2005, 10:28 PM
terrible

i am the robots
10-04-2005, 10:32 PM
he not as ****ing good as the drummer 4 KoRn!! **** ******* *** **** *** /m\\

Gimmick? anyhow... David is good... but just because his drumming is incredibly groovey and listenable... he's not really that technical... he's super clean... and semi-complex, but nothing special... still one of my favorites.

Dr. Jake Destructo
10-04-2005, 10:34 PM
He does have quite the groove-factor, I'll admit that.

Bad gimmick, though. Terrible. I mean, top five most unfunny attempts at being funny on the internet.

i am the robots
10-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Definately.

Enlighten Me
10-10-2005, 04:55 AM
You are all going to flame me now, but i used think blink182's dummer was really good :) (I don't know crap about drums)

Oh and this Seth dude is awsome.

-:Vincent:-
10-10-2005, 05:02 AM
this guy sucks...

stoned_rat
10-10-2005, 07:27 AM
yeh....i kind of didnt read all of those posts.... but i know the worlds fastest drummer is on this site.
http://www.worldsfastestdrummer.com/
and i also know....that the fastest hands, Mike Mangini, is a really well respected drummer, he's written two books, and has very new and unique ideas about drums and polyrythms, and his kit is completely symmetrical ( ie. i think he has 8 toms, 4 for each hand). Because he has very revolutionary ideas about drums and he has unique methods of practice, all his limbs are of equal strength, which is why he has a symmetrical kit, beacuse his left hand can do what is right hand can do....i hope that makes sense.

Mike Mangini <> Tim Waterson,
TIm Waterson, one of the complete and utter losers of the drum comunitiy. This guy doesnt play drums, all he does is break world records, he has no desire to play drums for the passion of music, all he does is play drums, for records.....bastard, should be shot, and quartered....however i am told, that i think he is producing an album with a band, but they are only using him for fast double bass, and possibly for like very very easy basic 2/4 and 4/4 rock beats.... and this is only after he has een playing drums for years and years now...

stoned_rat
10-10-2005, 08:00 AM
going back to a very erly post.....i think derek roddy was also morbid angel???? i might be wrong..

also, i do know that some drummers have extra additions onto their pedals that allows them to play alternating heel-up and heel-down.....ie, they use the heel/toe method.

Edit: the addition to the pedal is called a Vruk, look at this site, it explains how it works.... http://www.vrukpedal.com/whatisvruk.htm

RideTheSpiral
10-10-2005, 08:22 AM
mason = pink floyd

When has he ever used double kick...?

oZeNa
10-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Lars......wow

Janitor
10-10-2005, 09:34 AM
When has he ever used double kick...?
He has 2 basses in his setup. I've never heard him use the second one single time though.

Oh, and this thread makes me incredibly sad.

i am the robots
10-10-2005, 09:54 AM
i believe that tool were in the mainstream before slipknot were even a band. if you recall, tool playing at lollapalooza '93 and the undertow and aenima music videos being played on MTV during prime time hours made them quite popular in the "mainstream underground". this was before slipknot was even formed, which was the end of 1995. it was around this time that tool were finishing work on aenima. slipknot didn't reach mainstream status until the release of their first album in '98 or '99.

Way to sound smart, Slipknot formed in the early nineties :rolleyes:.

PinkFreud
10-10-2005, 10:18 AM
all the biographies ive looked up online since this thread have said '95.

52WILLY52
10-10-2005, 10:34 AM
check out videos of buddy rich and art verdi. google them

guns_of_brixton
10-10-2005, 10:38 AM
It has nothing to do with this thread but DH Peligro was a great drummer and uber fast.

exup
10-10-2005, 10:51 AM
my fruityloops is way faster

//btw i think Manowar is pretty gay.. but check this song from 10 minutes
Manowar - Achilles, Agony And Ecstasy (in eight parts)

****, that is some fast dubbelbass

PepsiMetal
10-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Raymond Herrera comes up with sweetest double bass beats. He's probably my favorite drummer too.

MRDuCran
10-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Chris Adler is pretty fukkin good, nowhere near fastest but he still sounds better than dagadagadagadagadagadagadaga at 240bpm in every song. No disrespect to Derek Roddy or anything because I know how dedicated those drummers are but it does get boring after a while, in my opinion of course.

darrell
10-10-2005, 12:52 PM

Way to sound smart, but...

Slipknot were formed in late 1995 in the unlikely locale of Des Moines, IA; after some early personnel shifts, the nine-piece lineup settled around...

VH1.com - Slipknot (http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/slipknot/bio.jhtml)

+zero+
10-10-2005, 05:57 PM
i read the fastest double bass drum drummer was some dude who played country music..kinda wierd..

MRDuCran
10-10-2005, 06:00 PM
That's only for the feet. Tim Waterson.

Silenius
10-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Way stfu about Slipknot. :rolleyes:

Shadows Within
10-10-2005, 06:12 PM
i read the fastest double bass drum drummer was some dude who played country music..kinda wierd..
i highlty doubt that but you neverk know...

I'll Kill You With Sharp Stick
10-10-2005, 06:15 PM
i highlty doubt that but you neverk know...

it is ... well it was... he had the record last year

but this year some big fat guy won it i think

Killtacular
10-10-2005, 07:13 PM
also, i do know that some drummers have extra additions onto their pedals that allows them to play alternating heel-up and heel-down.....ie, they use the heel/toe method.

Heel-toe technique has nothing to do with a fancy pedal. It uses normal pedals.

Darkness
10-10-2005, 07:16 PM
That's why even Gene Hoglan agrees, Haake is the best in metal :D
I agree, but when did Gene say that?

Flynn
10-10-2005, 07:50 PM
It's really hard to choose a certain ''one''. Gene Holgan is so badass, especially on Individual Thought Patterns, and Symbolic. I can't get over Human though, the drums on that album are so lethal. In every way. Intricate drumming by Sean Reinert. It's not all fast, constantly, but certainly ungodly. You don't have to play fast constantly, he proves that with a counter...I have a lot of drummers in mind, but my vote definately goes to Sean Reinert for his work on the album Human.

+zero+
10-10-2005, 08:43 PM
what band is gene from and what band is sean from?

Flynn
10-10-2005, 08:53 PM
what band is gene from and what band is sean from?

Gene Holgan:

* 1986 - Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
* 1989 - Dark Angel - Leave Scars
* 1989 - Dark Angel - Live Scars (EP)
* 1991 - Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
* 1992 - Dark Angel - Decade Of Chaos (best of cd)
* 1993 - Death - Individual Thought Patterns
* 1995 - Death - Symbolic
* 1995 - Naphobia - Of Hell (guest drummer)
* 1997 - Strapping Young Lad - City
* 1997 - Testament - Demonic
* 1998 - Old Man's Child - Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion
* 1998 - Strapping Young Lad - No Sleep Till Bedtime (live)
* 1998 - Devin Townsend - Infinity
* 1998 - Devin Townsend - Christeen (EP)
* 1999 - Punchdrunk - Music For Them Asses
* 2000 - Cranium (band) - Speed Metal Satan (engineering)
* 2000 - Devin Townsend - Physicist
* 2001 - Devin Townsend - Terria
* 2002 - Daemon - Eye For An Eye
* 2003 - Strapping Young Lad - SYL
* 2003 - Tenet - Sovereign [demo]
* 2004 - Strapping Young Lad - For Those Aboot To Rock (DVD)
* 2005 - Strapping Young Lad - Alien

Sean Reinert:

Cynic - Focus
Death - Human
Gordian Knot - Gordian Knot / Emergent
Aghora
Aeon Spoke

Toaster
10-10-2005, 09:16 PM
I would kill to hear the video guy on a death metal record.. blast beat at 290 bpm!

Flynn
10-10-2005, 09:23 PM
I'd like to watch ANY drummer for Death play live. Christy is really good too...

Darkness
10-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Man, your like obsessed with Death. :p

Flynn
10-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Man, your like obsessed with Death. :p
:evil:

Det_Nosnip
10-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Gene Holgan:

* 1986 - Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
* 1989 - Dark Angel - Leave Scars
* 1989 - Dark Angel - Live Scars (EP)
* 1991 - Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
* 1992 - Dark Angel - Decade Of Chaos (best of cd)
* 1993 - Death - Individual Thought Patterns
* 1995 - Death - Symbolic
* 1995 - Naphobia - Of Hell (guest drummer)
* 1997 - Strapping Young Lad - City
* 1997 - Testament - Demonic
* 1998 - Old Man's Child - Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion
* 1998 - Strapping Young Lad - No Sleep Till Bedtime (live)
* 1998 - Devin Townsend - Infinity
* 1998 - Devin Townsend - Christeen (EP)
* 1999 - Punchdrunk - Music For Them Asses
* 2000 - Cranium (band) - Speed Metal Satan (engineering)
* 2000 - Devin Townsend - Physicist
* 2001 - Devin Townsend - Terria
* 2002 - Daemon - Eye For An Eye
* 2003 - Strapping Young Lad - SYL
* 2003 - Tenet - Sovereign [demo]
* 2004 - Strapping Young Lad - For Those Aboot To Rock (DVD)
* 2005 - Strapping Young Lad - Alien

Sean Reinert:

Cynic - Focus
Death - Human
Gordian Knot - Gordian Knot / Emergent
Aghora
Aeon Spoke

Reinert is the best, IMO. His work on Aghora's self-titled album is pretty astounding.

Phraun
10-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Several things:

From a post a while back: Tre Cool is not even remotely close to an average drummer. He's a total n00b that happened to hook up with the right band (although why Green Day is so great is beyond me...)

Agreeing with multiple posts: Buddy Rich is where it's at.

About triggers: when you're building up doublebass speed, you aren't supposed to be compensating for you inability to complete the hit by using triggers. I can sit there and tap out rapid singles all day at 260 BPM but that means jack **** if no one can hear them. Triggers=cheating just as aforementioned. You need to play with ankleweights for awhile, not use triggers.

About Portnoy: He is an exceptionally solid drummer but that's it. His renown has more to do with the fact that he plays with the likes of John Petrucci, John Myung, and other guitar miracle workers (yes Myung is bass but that's also a guitar :P)

Lars Ulrich has no right whatsoever to any sort of title, not even Novice Drummer. He can't play at all, end of story. He was however the catalyst for Metallica's first label deal, so I can't hate him too much. Much the same story with Ringo Star, except I loathe the Beatles so he straight up sucks all around in my opinion.

No way in hell will anyone ever buy into Slipknot popularizing the double-bass. Carey and Lombardo and a host of others were using it before Jordisson could play along to ACDC. On a sidenote, Slayer, Tool and the like are also superior bands, although Subliminal Verses was certainly a step in the right direction. Finally some guitar solos...

World's Fastest Drummer: Seth is definitely up there if not at the top. You non-drummers keep forgetting he's not bouncing the sticks at all; those are all single-strokes. If you say he's not that fast you are ignorant. Note this means nothing about his abilities as a drummer apart from speed. All the rudiments in the world can't save you if you lack imagination.

I agree with whomever mentioned Chris Adler: no, he's not that fast, but he also is able to break past those god-awful constant 16ths or 32nds or what have you. Believe it or not it's a necassary skill.

DeathMetal853 is a n00b.

@Det_Nosnip: You don't need to slow Dance of Eternity down to learn it, and it's hardly Portnoy's "wow song." IMO Paradigm Shift has far superior drumwork, as does most other Liquid Tension Experiment music. DoE is more of a showcase of everything but the drums. I don't think Portnoy has any "wow songs," to be honest. Like you said and as I said, he's a solid drummer, but not much else. If I come off as snappish I apologize; it's been a rough day.

@Grey Incision
Tool is more popular than Slipknot and is far superior to Slipknot. This fact blatantly ignores all the druggies of the current teenage generation due to their inherently short life-expectancy. Also, Slipknot has virtually no middle-age fan base. Yet another reason is because of Danny Carey. He beats the snot out of Jordisson hands down, and is oft used as an example in some of the more modern percussion classrooms while dealing with the subject of dynamics and time-change. Because of this, Tool is even more well known. Please don't get me wrong; Slipknot isn't necassarily a bad band. As I mentioned above, I believe they are getting steadily better. Tool is just superior.

What an ungodly long post... :rolleyes: I think I got it all out though... wait, did I mention Lars Ulrich sucks? :D

On to homework! :upset:

fedroger
10-11-2005, 01:04 AM

Who cares, just go with the question and answere it, okay?

fedroger
10-11-2005, 01:20 AM
Who ever the fastest drummer is, he probably lacks real skill and imagination. Mike Portnoy might not be Dave Weckl, but he is a hell of a lot looser drummer than most.
If you don't think he's all that, go play some DReam Theater for a few hours. No, even better. Go find 3 other skilled players and try to play some Dt or Liquid Tension Experiment together, in unison, at their speed. Then you will be enlightened. Email me when you all find the results. Thank you!

36Dritzlfists
10-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Have you all forgotten about Meg White from the White Stripes? Her drumming is soo fast and her complex patterns puts her up there at the top of the heap.

PinkFreud
10-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Who ever the fastest drummer is, he probably lacks real skill and imagination. Mike Portnoy might not be Dave Weckl, but he is a hell of a lot looser drummer than most.
If you don't think he's all that, go play some DReam Theater for a few hours. No, even better. Go find 3 other skilled players and try to play some Dt or Liquid Tension Experiment together, in unison, at their speed. Then you will be enlightened. Email me when you all find the results. Thank you!
yeah, cause its not like they havent been practicing or anything. you know, besides years and years of experience, theres no difference. :rolleyes:

phraun, i agree with most of what you said, except your bashing of ringo. he may not have been great, but he was inventive and was a solid part of the beatles' sound and whether you like them or not, its necessary to respect them. anyone who doesnt is a class-a idiot.

classicrockman
10-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Have you all forgotten about Meg White from the White Stripes? Her drumming is soo fast and her complex patterns puts her up there at the top of the heap.
:lol:

She's the best female drummer I've heard...I guess.

"5150"
10-11-2005, 03:28 PM

What about the drummer out of that Irish group 'The Corrs'? Also this Samantha girl filled in for Motley Crue on the New Tattoo tour because Randy Castillo was ill (Tommy Lee had left the band to do solo work at the time), and she was pretty good I guess (although not a patch on Mr Lee).

lucky luciano
10-11-2005, 03:50 PM

I'm glad to see you actually know what your talking about :thumb:

Jred250
10-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Fastest drummer eh!

fedroger
10-15-2005, 08:12 AM
yeah, cause its not like they havent been practicing or anything. you know, besides years and years of experience, theres no difference. :rolleyes:

phraun, i agree with most of what you said, except your bashing of ringo. he may not have been great, but he was inventive and was a solid part of the beatles' sound and whether you like them or not, its necessary to respect them. anyone who doesnt is a class-a idiot.

Where does my reply anywhere mention Ringo in it? Since you failed comprehension in grade school, I was referring to speed drummers, and in no way, shape or form, traditional players, that play a slower rythem. Ringo is a great traditional drummer! Where did you get Ringo from, anyways?

Flynn
10-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Reinert is the best, IMO. His work on Aghora's self-titled album is pretty astounding.

I agree having only heard his work on Human. Is Aghora worth buying?

incubliss
10-15-2005, 08:31 AM
The 3rd video, that was cool as.

StreetlightRock
10-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Oi Det, Wanna write a joint article of Reinert? I wanna do one, but im not exactally up with my drum lingo, so I was thinking - mabye I can do the profile stuff and you do the technial aspects? 'cause that guy is seriously underrated, and I love his drumming to bits.

Flynn: Aghora are great, Sean Malone also plays with Agohra, and the vocalist is just haunting. Check out a song or two before commiting though, it may not be what you expect. Cynic is great too.

mobsterrob
10-15-2005, 05:12 PM
not sure of the drummer, but the drummer from morbid angel is def up there with the fastest

PinkFreud
10-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Where does my reply anywhere mention Ringo in it? Since you failed comprehension in grade school, I was referring to speed drummers, and in no way, shape or form, traditional players, that play a slower rythem. Ringo is a great traditional drummer! Where did you get Ringo from, anyways?
it was actually YOU who failed to comprehend MY reply, friend. the second paragraph was addressed to phraun, which is why it says, "phraun..." see?

aperfectool94
10-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Derek Roddy is the fastest drummer ive heard (if im missing out tell me)

Tomas Haake is f***ing awesome, hes pretty quick but his syncopation and polyrhythms are obviously what stands out.

Morgen Agren is also a fantastic drummer, similar to Tomas .
(Listen to "Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects- Sol Niger Within")
If your a meshuggah fan you probably have heard it, its pretty rare though.

Danny Carey and Virgil Donati get my vote for creativity.

Dave Lombardo is good but no way the fastest.Lars is just plain s***.

Dark_Hero
10-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Your a dumbass.:thumb:

denboy
10-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Why isn't threadstarter banned? Look at his other posts, he's advertising that band, the only reason he said those things in the first post was to provoke your interest by being provocative... the fucker

guns_n_roses=Slash+Axl
10-16-2005, 09:58 PM
the fastest drummer i think is the late keith moon

HappyMarshmellow
10-16-2005, 10:19 PM

You should hear their new album's post production Carrionshine, track 3... at the :45 second mark, around there... :cool:

Flynn
10-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Oi Det, Wanna write a joint article of Reinert? I wanna do one, but im not exactally up with my drum lingo, so I was thinking - mabye I can do the profile stuff and you do the technial aspects? 'cause that guy is seriously underrated, and I love his drumming to bits.

Flynn: Aghora are great, Sean Malone also plays with Agohra, and the vocalist is just haunting. Check out a song or two before commiting though, it may not be what you expect. Cynic is great too.

That's awesome man. I love his work on Human so much. Nothing I've ever heard even comes close to the intricacy of his performance on that album. Sean is madly underrated. I don't think I've seen anyone mention his name before on this forum before this thread (not counting me), not to mention I don't know anyone in real life that even knows who Death is. I must get Aghora. I'm working on it...

StreetlightRock
10-17-2005, 03:27 AM
I can send it to you, just gimmie your e-mail addy.

dj_ando
10-17-2005, 05:35 AM
doesn't art verdi (http://www.artverdi.com/) hold the record for most number of single strokes in 60 seconds (1116 strokes)?

can't judge a musician on chops alone. not to say any of these drummers are good or bad, but it doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

edit: oops, looks like i'm a few years too late :p i don't pay too much attention to this kind of thing

lightningmetal666
10-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Jason Bitner from Shadow's Fall is pretty good but I wouldn't consider him the fastest drummer.

There are some great drummers that deserve some mentioning. Like the guy from Meshuggah. I've tried to listen to them and the time signatures are insane. It would take me forever to learn their stuff and sound professional.

And as always (call me a slayer fanboy) but I say the best is Dave Lombardo, though Paul Bostaph wasn't too bad.

websurfer
10-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Worlds fastest drummer now is Dani Lobe. He plays for a band called Helloween.

Best performance off the Keeper part 3 the legacy
---------> Helloween - Occasion Avenue <------------

TojesDolan
10-26-2005, 09:49 PM

Wow. You mustn't really listen to many other bands then. Didn't mean to be rude or aggresive, but seriously:

Kttie's drummer (forgot the name) works her way through the double bass. Simplistic everywhere else but oh well.

The donnas' drummer (crap again I forgot :upset: ) is also great, she pulls off interesting things.

As for drummers I respect... hmm... Necrophagist's drummer is a madman (wtf is wrong with me and names goddammit!!), I like what he pulls off.

MattyBlade
10-26-2005, 09:56 PM
My vote as one of the fastest (http://quovadis.qc.ca)

He may not be the fastest, but hot damn.

edit: Links to samples from the website

Break the cycle (http://www.quovadis.qc.ca/promo/Break_the_Cycle.mp3)

Silence calls the storm (http://www.quovadis.qc.ca/promo/Silence_Calls_the_Storm.mp3)

I like silence calls the storm a little bit better... but if you want to check out some really good drumming by em, hit up the day into night album.

Flynn
10-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Sascha Sauer is ungodly fast. He's really underrated... Here's a sample.

http://www.metalblade.de/mp3/FOU_ShapesOfThePursuers.ram

Lilí Bloodred Ridiní Hood
10-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Jordison or jaska are good im not sure if there the fastest but there awesome to me and no i havent heard alot of ppl :p

Mother
10-27-2005, 05:51 AM

Dude man please post Vids of your dads polka bands drummer. I watched those Vid and as a guitarist im impressed.

Ma Cherie
10-27-2005, 09:04 AM
i heard that Kami of Malice Mizer, was a pretty fast drummer to. he use to have have a orcestal percussion back there

shamed-angel
10-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Thomas Lang is the fastest drummer ever. FACT.

Flynn
10-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Thomas Lang is the fastest drummer ever. FACT.

False. Sean Reinert blows him away. It's like comparing a bicycle to an airplane.

Darkness
10-27-2005, 09:43 PM
http://www.flomounier.com/videos/FloMounierDrumSolohigh.html

This guys pretty good. I'm not saying he's the best/fastest... but... just watch the damn solo.

Daven
10-27-2005, 09:50 PM
False. Sean Reinert blows him away. It's like comparing a bicycle to an airplane.

Its definitely true, Sean schools him.

PinkFreud
10-27-2005, 10:21 PM
yep, but lang is a better overall drummer than reinhardt.

aperfectool94
10-30-2005, 11:20 PM
lang is awesome hes not really about speed

.:Thrasher:.
11-01-2005, 04:00 AM
i heard the guy from dream theater is one of the best

StreetlightRock
11-01-2005, 04:50 AM
Potnoy is probably one of the funnest drummers i've seen on videos and stuff, like, I dunno, hes got this aura of Attitude when he plays, I'd really like to see him live. I hate the... tone? of his drums on DT CDs though, I dunno, there too trebly or something, not placed high up enough in the mix - I always have to force myself to listen out for the Drums in DT or I wont 'notice' them. Hes a solid as hell though.

metal_master12
11-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Jorg Michael from Stratovarius
The Drummer from Into Eternity
Steve Doerksen - Dream Quest
and the dude from Dragonforce

ashman
11-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Nicko McBrain from Maiden, not the fastest, but he is pretty **** hot considering he's 54!