PDA

View Full Version : i'm dying for some new, unique, music

miku
10-02-2005, 12:17 AM
To give you an idea of what I like, first of all, my current favorites are (current obsessions in bold):

post-rock: Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mono
various rock: Pink Floyd, The Doors, Phish
other: my piano stuff (can be found here: http://www.soundclick.com/mikuonpiano ), Chopin, etc.

I'm dying to find some new music genre/style and/or specific band(s)/artist(s) to listen to. I'm not going to be too specific, because I don't have too specific a sound in mind.

I want something original, something that tries new things. That is not to say I want something that takes it to the extreme, challenging the definition of music, like John Cage. The only thing I like about that guy is his pioneering of prepared piano.
I want something serious, something emotional. That means no "burning down the house" or "low, ri.. der..." Think of the cathartic nature of GY!BE and Mono. Doesn't have to be exactly like that, but just an example of what direction I lean toward.
Vocals may or may not be preferrable.. At this very moment I'm leaning towards no vocals, though.
It should be something that makes use of interesting song progressions. They can be complex and changing, they can be minimal and based around gradual buildups and climaxes (like GYBE), or they can be something I haven't even thought of (all the better).

Am I making sense? I guess, in a nutshell, I'm looking for emotional, tasteful experimentalism.

And sorry if this thread breaks any rules/guidelines.

lak89
10-02-2005, 12:49 AM
try Planet X, Black Light Syndrome and Liquid Tension Experiment, i'm sure you would enjoy them if you haven't already

miku
10-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't heard of Planet X or Black Light Syndrome, so I'll check them out.
Liquid Tension Experiment on the other hand I have heard of, and have some of, and it's kind of neat, but it's not what I'm looking for at the moment. It's a bit too wankery. I should have made that clarification in my original post.

BlinkMe-Rancid
10-02-2005, 01:55 AM
www.theredpaintings.com they are brand new and good

Bartender
10-02-2005, 04:00 AM
You could perhaps try Murder by Death, and Aereogramme.

scotch
10-02-2005, 04:13 AM
You could try the punk-rock band White Noise, the techno-rock band Machine Language, or the all-girl group No Members. How about Sound and the Fury?

scotch
10-02-2005, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't heard of Planet X or Black Light Syndrome, so I'll check them out.
Liquid Tension Experiment on the other hand I have heard of, and have some of, and it's kind of neat, but it's not what I'm looking for at the moment. It's a bit too wankery. I should have made that clarification in my original post.

Clarification: No wankery.

blue powder
10-02-2005, 04:32 AM
hi miku!...try this one...

asia minor saga (http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=2306325&q=hi/)

neo-orchestral generated adventure!!.. :)

Lydisk
10-02-2005, 05:24 AM
Gåte
Vamp
Terje Rypdal

there you go. check these out

3rdplanet
10-02-2005, 07:31 AM
You could try Morphine.

Smackers
10-02-2005, 07:52 AM
Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Black Earth
Minotaur Shock - Maritime

Bohren & Der Club of Gore is really dark and moody, but they make great use of the mellotron and piano. Minotaur Shock isn't so much dark as it is fun, but it's still very interesting.

The Minstrel in the Gallery
10-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Try Camel. Very emotional guitar playing.

Happymeal
10-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Mr. Bungle?

Smackers
10-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Mr. Bungle.

CabbageStabbage
10-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Vocals may or may not be preferrable.. At this very moment I'm leaning towards no vocals, though.
It should be something that makes use of interesting song progressions. They can be complex and changing, they can be minimal and based around gradual buildups and climaxes (like GYBE), or they can be something I haven't even thought of (all the better).

No vocals? Try some 20th century classical music. Complex and changing? Try Stravinsky. Minimal? Philip Glass (I've only heard his music from the movie "Fog of War, but it was nice). For something emotional, try Debussy's orchestral stuff, or that one song by Heitor Villa-Lobos that's for soprano and 8 cellos.

CowboyBebop
10-02-2005, 12:21 PM
You ever heard of Acid Jazz or Trip-Hop?

miku
10-02-2005, 02:04 PM
No vocals? Try some 20th century classical music. Complex and changing? Try Stravinsky. Minimal? Philip Glass (I've only heard his music from the movie "Fog of War, but it was nice). For something emotional, try Debussy's orchestral stuff, or that one song by Heitor Villa-Lobos that's for soprano and 8 cellos.
Stravinsky and Debussy are great. As for Philip Glass, I dig some of his stuff from time to time. But one problem with his stuff in my eyes (at least, his stuff from Glassworks and the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack) is that it's all repetition and no buildup/climax. Meaning, I don't dig his progressions throughout his compositions. His use of interesting/changing textures is cool though.

Wouldja look at all these recommendations.. Thanks guys. I'm gonna check them all out eventually, though it may take some time. I guess I'll even check out the punk-rock band scotch recommended, but that one's a little iffy, as I've never heard a punk-rock song that I liked.

Daniel!
10-02-2005, 02:13 PM
The Books. They should be unique enough for you.

AndreTheHyena
10-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Explosions in the Sky, Pelican, Fantomas, Wilco.

AndreTheHyena
10-02-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't think Isis is quite post-metal, at least not along the lines of Pelican. They're atmospheric and ambient, sure, but they're still decidedly metal.

edit: Never mind. Listening to Panopticon for the first time in months, I can see where you're coming from.

braindoctor
10-02-2005, 03:59 PM
the beatles - helter skelter

Slight Return
10-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Jimi Hendrix
The Beatles (Sgt. Pepper in particular)
Leo Kottke
Earl Klugh
David Benoit

Ned
10-02-2005, 05:52 PM
But one problem with his stuff in my eyes (at least, his stuff from Glassworks and the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack) is that it's all repetition....

Umm....kinda the point, n'est-ce pas? (The build-up is certainly there; it's just slow--a quantitative difference becomes a qualitative difference, as they say.)

miku
10-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Umm....kinda the point, n'est-ce pas? (The build-up is certainly there; it's just slow--a quantitative difference becomes a qualitative difference, as they say.)
You know you might be right. I haven't actually listened to the Philip Glass I have in a while. At this moment I like the overall sound of post-rock's minimalist repetition + buildups more. But either way I do like Philip Glass somewhat. I find how much I enjoy his music depends a lot on my current mood.

Also, after all the Beatles recommendations, I realized I forgot to mention them in my first post. I don't know how I forgot to, they're like one of my very favorite bands. They certainly are awesome (their later stuff, that is).

Interstate
10-03-2005, 02:56 PM
The Books. They should be unique enough for you.

I second this, definitely check them out. One of the most unique bands I've come across so far.

biografiend
10-03-2005, 09:29 PM
I third the Books.
I would also recommend Jaga Jazzist. They are a 10-piece band from Norway that are phenomenal. They have a nice modern, post-rock, jazzy sound and feature brilliant musicianship. The have a few songs on their website www.jagajazzist.com. I would personally recommend "All I Know is Tonight".

strat
10-03-2005, 09:56 PM
I third the Books.
I would also recommend Jaga Jazzist. They are a 10-piece band from Norway that are phenomenal. They have a nice modern, post-rock, jazzy sound and feature brilliant musicianship. The have a few songs on their website www.jagajazzist.com. I would personally recommend "All I Know is Tonight".

I heard that song the other day, it's really great.

I'll suggest Kayo Dot, the crazy classical/metal/jazz/rock/everything band that everyone's talking so much about these days. It's some really insane shit. And their previous incarnation, Maudlin of the Well, is probably even better.

Another group I've checked out lately is Afro Celt Sound System, who combine celtic and african music. Look for "Dark Moon, High Tide" if you can, it's awesome.

Oh! I almost forgot Pullman...."Turnstyles & Junkpiles" is an AMAZING acoustic CD featuring a couple of members of Tortoise (I believe). Great stuff.

EDIT: One more reccommendation! Mice Parade.....its pretty cool

Daniel!
10-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I third the Books.

Jaga Jazzist is good.

Jazzagog
10-03-2005, 11:03 PM
RADIOHEAD, Amnesiac, Track 1, at loud volume. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Shoehorn
10-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Seen as you like Godspeed Mr.Miku, I reccomend A Silver Mt. Zion. I'm pretty sure they're a project with some of the same members. I also suggest you listen to Xiu Xiu, Art Bears, Radiohead albums after Ok Computer, and maybe even Sun Ra if you like free jazz.

OrbDragon
10-04-2005, 02:03 AM
Jaga Jazzist is probably (dare I say) the best live-act around. And I've seen many, many artists in my life.

Other good recommendations:

Kaada
Motorpsycho
The Swans
Murder By Death
Butthole Surfers
Air
Dresden Dolls

coolschmool
10-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Sigur Ros, I suggest that you pick up ágætis byrjun. It's simply beatiful.
My Morning Jacket
Mogwai

Zengeance
10-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Get Neu!

joshmay
10-04-2005, 06:13 PM
hmmm

mahavishnu orchestra

and check out all the other releases on GYBE's label.

constellation records

(google it)

most of the releases are gybe core group - related, but feature other dudes and concepts and they're all amazing.

Amit
10-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Dredg?

LedZeppFan83
10-06-2005, 04:59 PM
- Moby, he's like techno, but most of his music is unique and realaxing. Like the songs "Porcelain", "Beautiful", "Novio".

AndreTheHyena
10-06-2005, 06:30 PM
This thread is getting stale, and there's no way he's gonna check out all of these bands, but...

Bjork's Medulla is an amazing, unique album. It's all vocals, and Rahzel, Mike Patton, and the dudes from Sigur Ros all make cameos.

That_Dude
10-07-2005, 10:05 PM
DJ Shadow?

That_Dude
10-07-2005, 10:08 PM
hmmm

mahavishnu orchestra

Whenever i bring up Mahavishnu Orchestra people alway says "i don't like orchestra music":rolleyes:

Ned
10-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Whenever i bring up Mahavishnu Orchestra people alway says "i don't like orchestra music":rolleyes:

And whenever I bring up the Allman Brothers Band people always say, "All those Euphoniums and piccolos get on my nerves."

Ulysses
10-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Check out Sigur Ros, as someone mentioned above, it is excellent music. Also see if you can check out Gong, great psychedelic/progressive rock music.

IAJP
10-08-2005, 05:57 AM
New and unique music eh?

The only unique band around at the moment is The Gorrilaz, you can argue with me but it's true.

I'll just reel off some artists who you may not have heard of, and may enjoy.

Therapy? - A Punk / Rock / Metal outfit from Ireland.
Dexy's Midnight Runners - A pop Ska band from Britain, you may have heard Come On Eilleen.
John Cooper Clarke - A poet from Manchester, England, who uses many swearwords, to music to create a great style.
Big Black - An Alt. Punk band, who do a cool Kraftwerk cover.
Grooverider - Music from outer space, drum and bass, of course.
Talking Heads - An interesting post punk band.

AndreTheHyena
10-08-2005, 10:57 AM
New and unique music eh?

The only unique band around at the moment is The Gorrilaz, you can argue with me but it's true.

That is so stupid.

IAJP
10-08-2005, 11:34 AM
That is so stupid.
Haha.

OK, so name another band who:

Manages to use Hip Hop, Electronica, Punk, Rock influences,
Can create pop-songs, which are in the charts now.

You see, you're blocked in. You look stupid, and my aim is complete. :)

Daniel!
10-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Haha.

But you said they were the only unique band around now, which is not true.

Another band that might not have been mentioned yet is the Microphones.

DemBonez
10-08-2005, 12:42 PM

Linkin Park

IAJP
10-08-2005, 02:37 PM
But you said they were the only unique band around now, which is not true.

Another band that might not have been mentioned yet is the Microphones.
Yeah, I apologise, I realise that comment was really stupid and stuff.

Apologies :).

ETHOMAS
10-08-2005, 09:01 PM
well depending on what type of music your into, i'll reccomend the blood brothers. theyre definately unique, and a great listen if your into harder music.

AndreTheHyena
10-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Haha.

What does being in the charts have to do with anything? That elminates any possible rebuttal, so yes, I'm blocked in, while you just look like an awful jackass.

robot
10-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Your standards are too narrow for someone who wants to broaden their horizons.

Pale-Folklore
10-09-2005, 06:46 PM
I feel like listing some albums.. -

Isis - Panopticon
Agalloch - Pale Folklore and the Mantle

that was some.

Arrakakaka
10-09-2005, 08:07 PM
I feel like listing some albums.. -

Isis - Panopticon
Agalloch - Pale Folklore and the Mantle

that was some.
I like your taste. I'm a huge fan of Isis and Agalloch.

thordendal
10-10-2005, 06:07 AM
I dont think anyone has mentioned Neurosis yet. They are fantastic, get any of their albums.

I also agree with others that you may like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and Isis.

Ulysses
10-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band is some pretty original and musically different stuff, Trout Mask Replica is probably his best work.

deejuks2
10-11-2005, 05:19 PM
New and unique music eh?

If your talking about popular bands, maybe.

Delay Pedal Boy
10-13-2005, 10:30 AM
IAJP, ever heard of Deerhoof?

Ornery Cephalopod
10-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I second the Kayo Dot suggestion, assuming you don't mind some heaviness here and there.

joshmay
10-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Haha.

fuck you.

i think you need to be banned for stupidity.

joshmay
10-13-2005, 06:14 PM
i can manage to deal with stupid people, and elitist people.

but the combination i canNOT stand.

Amit
10-13-2005, 10:06 PM
fuck you.

i think you need to be banned for stupidity.

I'd support that decision.

AndreTheHyena
10-13-2005, 11:06 PM
I third it.

DrownedThought
10-13-2005, 11:44 PM
If you're looking for something that might be emotional in the way of lyrics I suggest you should pick up Issues from Korn. It's a great CD and is very experimental, it's not all that new though. Came out like 6 years ago. The album is a good choice though none the less.

labgnat
10-14-2005, 12:13 AM
get into some world music, sitar playing or something, indonesian gamelan, chinese pipa playing. most of that stuff is like classical music in that it progresses rather than repeating a whole lot. and simply because it's played with instruments u probably dont' hear on a regular basis that alone will make it interesting

Bartender
10-14-2005, 02:52 AM
i think you need to be banned for stupidity.I'd support that decision.
I third it.

He realised what he said was stupid, and apologised.

talgilmour
10-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Hi
Do U Like Prog-rock?
If Is So Try P.F.M FIRST 3 ALBUM IN ITALIAN strictly!
this band goes from classical music to jazz going through rock and mediterranean ethnic melodies.
Enjoy it :)

joshmay
10-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi
Do U Like Prog-rock?
If Is So Try P.F.M FIRST 3 ALBUM IN ITALIAN strictly!
this band goes from classical music to jazz going through rock and mediterranean ethnic melodies.
Enjoy it :)

hehe

THIS guy has the right idea

how lucky we are he speaks english as a second language

Premiate Forneria Marconi are an amazing italian prog band

the italians treated the matter entirely different. and its great

beckster
10-21-2005, 12:02 AM
try king's x, the albums dogman and faith, hope, love.
it's like hendrix/beatles/sabbath/james brown, all rolled into one.

Denizen
10-21-2005, 12:29 AM
People have already mentioned Sigur Ros. I'll mention them again. And find their video for Glosoli. And watch it.

Khanate. (ps: that's a band name.)

These guys aren't really "post-anything" as seems to be the trend here... but if you can find Pilotdrift's cd Iter Facere... ya. The song Rings of Symbols specifically.

:)

Diatonic Dissonance™
10-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Cover more Chopin, :eek:.

Also, another cover of Fantaisie would go down well (no offence, but the one up there leaves a lot to be desired).

d-mart
10-21-2005, 07:10 AM
MICE PARADE i'd say their pretty 'out there', can't really go wrong with Squarepusher for a mix of jazz/electronic/d'n'b/nosie, get 'Feed me weird things' or 'Ultravisitor'
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Múm
Alarm Will Sound - these are a must for unique music.

Okonkwo
10-22-2005, 03:49 PM
get into some world music, sitar playing or something, indonesian gamelan, chinese pipa playing. most of that stuff is like classical music in that it progresses rather than repeating a whole lot. and simply because it's played with instruments u probably dont' hear on a regular basis that alone will make it interesting

This guy's got the right idea. For some really spiritual, ethereal, beautiful music, look into some Tuvan Throat Singing. Huun-Huur-Tu and Yat-Kha are the two major modern groups. This is absolutely amazing music, and everyone should know it, IMO. The absolutely amazing thing they do is Polyphonic singing. Only, it's only one person, creating 2, and sometimes three notes, by selectively amplifying natural harmonics in their voice. It's beautiful.

Bartender
10-22-2005, 03:52 PM
The only Tuvan throat singing I've heard is amateur stuff by Billy West (Futurama voice actor). Thanks for the band names, I'll see if I can find any samples to download somewhere.

dylweed
10-22-2005, 09:20 PM
kings of leon

OrbDragon
10-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Calexico's worth a shot.

Mapexian
11-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Hellfish

Smackers
11-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Khanate.

Khanate is awesome. They have a great live show.

braindoctor
11-03-2005, 08:45 AM
try some of the sites listed in here

www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409321