PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Adams

AndreTheHyena
09-27-2005, 05:25 PM
His new album with the Cardinals came out today. Is it worth purchasing or just a download? You can never be too sure with him, as he seems to record every song he writes, whether brilliant (ie, most of Heartbreaker) or terrible (ie, most of lloR n kcoR). However, if Cold Roses is any indication, his current and future work with the Cardinals shouldn't disappoint.

Anyway, are there any Ryan Adams fans in these parts?

Little Man being Erased
09-27-2005, 05:31 PM
*looks at avatar*

Jacksonville City Nights definitely does not disappoint. It's more straight out country than anything he's done since Heartbreaker. He does it very well. At this point I'd say it's probably my favourite of his albums since Heartbreaker.

In short, buy it. It has a great cover too.

morrissey
09-27-2005, 07:46 PM
I bought this today (damn Canadian release dates), and while I've only listened to it twice, I'll call it my third favourite Ryan Adams release. It falls very much in the same vein as Heartbreaker and Cold Roses, I sense some of the songs are going to be growers because there is very little pop or immediate catchiness on this record. Personally I prefer Cold Roses and Heartbreaker stands head and shoulders above anything of his other material, but it is definitely worth purchasing. I know you dig country, so I'm sure you'll be quite satified with this record.

sup MX Ryan Adams fan crew

sum1soiledMyBongos
09-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Man that guy is fast... sounds good though, i'm gonna have to pick this up later.

AndreTheHyena
09-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Yeah, and he has another coming out in December, I think.

Is there a Ryan Adams crew yet? There should be, that would be tuff as hell.

Anyway, thanks for the info, folks. Looks like I've got a cd purchase to make soon.

Sid
09-28-2005, 02:08 AM
Ryan Cabrera does kick a'ss.

God, i'm so funny.

morrissey
09-28-2005, 02:23 AM
You would have been EVEN FUNNIER if you had said Bryan Adams. Oh yes you would have.

Sid
09-28-2005, 02:27 AM
They can't all be gold, Mud Butt.

AndreTheHyena
09-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Jesus. I went and saw Ryan in New Orleans in June, and so many people in the crowd were joking amongst themselves, like, "lol, we should request 'Summer of 69'"...I winced every time. So overdone, and of course we know how Ryan himself reacts to such folly.

Little Man being Erased
09-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Mmmm... the same sort of crap went on when I saw him at Splendour in the Grass in July. The crowd were being massive wankers, because most of them were just waiting for QOTSA to come on. At least I got to see a proper Ryan Adams hissy fit.

And his next album, 29, comes out November 2nd, I think.

AndreTheHyena
09-28-2005, 10:04 PM
At least I got to see a proper Ryan Adams hissy fit.

Ha, me too. I think it's guaranteed.

Krash100
09-29-2005, 02:03 PM
I have "New York, New York" on my computer, but besides that I don't listen to much Ryan Adams. What's some other songs of his like that. I'm not into country really, so I was never too eager to check him out.

morrissey
09-29-2005, 02:06 PM
It's not country like Toby Keith or anything. It's like Wilco or Calexico, though he shifts through genres. Love is Hell and Rock n Roll have virtually no elements of alt country whereas Jacksonville City Nights is almost straight up country (old stuff, not pop country). If you like "New York, New York" just buy Gold.

Myxomatosis129
09-29-2005, 03:02 PM
I think it is most like Heartbreaker but i prefer Love is Hell

AndreTheHyena
09-30-2005, 05:01 PM
I didn't like Love is Hell, which is supposed to be his Smiths tribute, but I love the Smiths so maybe I just need to listen to it again.

I think Gold sucks, save a few songs. I'd taked Demolition over it any day.

I have the Heartbreaker Demos and they're amazing, there's only one song that made it onto the proper album. If I ever have soulseek or a connection higher than Dial-Up, I'll try to share it with you guys.

morrissey
09-30-2005, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't call Love is Hell a Smiths tribute, but instead a tribute to all of his idols and influences. There's only one or two songs that I would reckon could be associated with the Smiths, in sounds or in spirit.

AndreTheHyena
10-01-2005, 12:26 AM
I think I just read that somewhere, or maybe it's because whats-his-face produced it...

morrissey
10-01-2005, 12:29 AM
John Porter yeah.

AndreTheHyena
10-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Whenever I saw him live, he told an amazing story about eating mushrooms and driving around with Porter and the guy from the Faces and crashing into a hotel lobby with the car.

Interstate
10-01-2005, 06:10 AM
I have Love Is Hell which is a good album, I haven't listened to it that many times though.

RockISdead420
10-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Love is Hell is probably my favorite by him. The rest almost get a little too countryish. I enjoy Whiskytown more I think. Strangers Almanac is a good album.

rbv
10-01-2005, 04:12 PM
What's his best song?

morrissey
10-01-2005, 08:19 PM
My favourite is Come Pick Me Up but only because the chorus reminds me of my life.

AndreTheHyena
10-02-2005, 12:34 AM
"Come Pick Me Up" was the first song I got into by him, followed by "To Be Young" and "Oh My Sweet Carolina", all of which are my favorites, along with "Winding Wheel" and "Wish You Were Here". I honestly have to say, though, that I think "Let It Ride" is one of the most amazing songs he's ever written, if not the most amazing.

Love is Hell is probably my favorite by him. The rest almost get a little too countryish. I enjoy Whiskytown more I think. Strangers Almanac is a good album.

"Too countryish", and yet you prefer Whiskeytown?

Little Man being Erased
10-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, that seemed wierd to me too.

I agree with you about "Let it Ride" too, Andre. Such a brilliant song. One of my other favourites from Cold Roses is "If I Am A Stranger."

morrissey
10-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Whenever I saw him live, he told an amazing story about eating mushrooms and driving around with Porter and the guy from the Faces and crashing into a hotel lobby with the car.
best. story. ever.

Oh to have been there.

morrissey
10-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Yeah Rock n Roll was not up to snuff. I still like it, don't get me wrong, but when you consider what Adams is capable of producing that was just wrong.

Great concept though.

morrissey
10-02-2005, 06:09 PM
It was a great concept, but he needs to stop releasing albums every day. If he spent like 36 hours on an album instead of the usual 18, he might produce something of note.
He's probably in a shitty 50 album contract that he wants to get out of.

AndreTheHyena
10-02-2005, 09:40 PM
He's probably in a shitty 50 album contract that he wants to get out of.

Yeah, but I don't think Lost Highway would have done anything like that, though they are a major imprint.

morrissey
10-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah, but I don't think Lost Highway would have done anything like that, though they are a major imprint.
I think he just doesn't really have any concept of good and bad. It is overly difficult to judge if your own material is up to snuff. Some people think everything they do is never good enough - maybe he just feels everything is good enough. He doesn't seem to have a quality litmus test or whatever you want to call it.

AndreTheHyena
10-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Well, being a songwriter myself, I know how much material one person can write. I've written well over a hundred songs, but only a fraction of them are worth anything. I just think he records everything, good or bad.

diezelpower
11-25-2005, 03:58 AM
Cold Roses is the best thing Ryan Adams has done since Heartbreaker. Jacksonville City Nights is not. Still good though.

Early tonight I was trying to listen to all of my Ryan Adams records in alphy order, only got through the first Cold Roses disc. Maybe tomorrow.
em...this might sound strange, but out of all of his albums i think only cold roses are great, that was the first album of his i heard and i was imediatly hooked, it's easily one of the best albums of 2005, then i downloaded all of his other albums and i thought they were all bland...strange huh? jacksonville city nights is slightly better than his other albums, but again not as good as cold roses, for me....
It's not country like Toby Keith or anything. It's like Wilco or Calexico, though he shifts through genres. Love is Hell and Rock n Roll have virtually no elements of alt country whereas Jacksonville City Nights is almost straight up country (old stuff, not pop country). If you like "New York, New York" just buy Gold.
that's the thing, everybody is saying that jacksonville city nights is straight out country but i don't see much difference in his style from cold roses, one slow song, one faster one, the same routine is on cold roses...i really don't see what makes this one more country...

morrissey
11-25-2005, 12:56 PM
em...this might sound strange, but out of all of his albums i think only cold roses are great, that was the first album of his i heard and i was imediatly hooked, it's easily one of the best albums of 2005, then i downloaded all of his other albums and i thought they were all bland...strange huh? jacksonville city nights is slightly better than his other albums, but again not as good as cold roses, for me....
To each his/her own, I think it might because you didn't get to experience the albums in due time... I don't know if I can explain it but listening to an album as soon as it is released, absorbing it, and then the next one comes along and you go through the same process, that will produce a much different reaction and connection than downloading it or buying it out of "context", if that makes sense. Your relation to Adams' progression isn't in sync chronologically. So basically you have that initial connection to Cold Roses and then the next release Jacksonville, but not the others. It isn't a bad thing at all, it's just different.

that's the thing, everybody is saying that jacksonville city nights is straight out country but i don't see much difference in his style from cold roses, one slow song, one faster one, the same routine is on cold roses...i really don't see what makes this one more country...
Cold Roses and Jacksonville are very similar and they fit into the country thing, whereas Rock n Roll and Love is Hell I would never classify as country. But yes Cold Roses and Jacksonville are similar.