PDA

View Full Version : Favorite/Most Original Drum Beats

A_Guy
09-23-2005, 09:10 PM
So I was bored in class yesterday and I made a top ten list of my favorite and most original drum beats in a song. (These aren't in any particular order)

1. Scentless Apreentice-Nirvana
2. Immigrant Song-Led Zeppelin
3. Demon Cleaner-Kyuss
4. A Song for the Dead-Queens of the Stone Age (Intro)
5. Touch Me I'm Sick-Mudhoney
6. Jesus Christ Pose-Soundgarden (Intro)
7. Sickman-Alice in Chains
8. Hurricane-Kyuss
9. Revenga-System of a Down (Chorus)
10. Metal Meltdown-Judas Priest

These songs aren't picked because of their difficulty or the drummer who plays them but instead for their originality and the way they fit with the rest of the song. Sorry if something like this has already been done.

Stubbsy
09-23-2005, 09:13 PM
way they fit with the rest of the song. Sorry if something like this has already been done.

The thing is every song has a drum beat that fits it or it wouldnt be there.

A_Guy
09-23-2005, 09:16 PM
I realize that, but these beats especially stood out.

Ethan.
09-23-2005, 09:16 PM
A Passage to Bankok - Rush
This song always makes me nod my head to the music; it's great.

When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
Quite possibly one of John Bonham's most famous grooves.

Break On Through - The Doors
This guy is fast!

A few of my favorites. I can play most all of them, it's not about the skill; but more about the feel, or groove.

Are you still looking for a band name Stubbsy?! :lol: That's been your title thing ever since I can remember.

Stubbsy
09-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah mate. Well i have started ANOTHER band, and we got a band name after our first practise. But the original band still havent found a band name its really getting me quite peeved.

The second band we have already made logos and stuff and its really really awesome. Its because we all sat down and talked.

Ok but a song with a good beat that really fits the song well.
Californication-RHCP
Well all RHCP songs.

milkmit
09-23-2005, 09:35 PM
wayyyy too many to list.....but one that comes to mind immediately (as always) is jeremiah green from modest mouse (and as I mentioned in another thread, a LOT of janet weiss' (sleater-kinney) is also really original). a lot of his stuff -- particularly the earlier stuff -- makes lots of use of the toms in the main beat, the ride bell (WOOT!), and atypical use of open hihats...all of which has been having a huge effect on my drumming as I slowwwwly find my own style..

http://www.obleek.com/stuff/musiciansforums/mm_truckers_atlas.mp3
http://www.obleek.com/stuff/musiciansforums/mm_exit_does_not_exist.mp3

bobby__johnny
09-23-2005, 10:28 PM
hmmm

"egypt" - Symphony X (mainly the intro, before the 1st Verse)

"Schizm" - Tool

"The Package" - A Perfect Circle

Iskandar
09-23-2005, 10:50 PM
"Schism" has to be one of the best grooves of all time. Whenever somebody asks me to "play something cool," it's usually the first thing I do.

I also have a fondness for Bonham on "Fool in the Rain." I play it at almost every soundcheck. Just a habit.

Rayne264
09-23-2005, 11:10 PM
i like the one from "All That I've Got" by The Used.

Win A Rabbit
09-23-2005, 11:56 PM
my favorite is "converge - the broken vow" (the "bridge" part 20 seconds in, oh it sounds good)

some others are:
a perfect circle - gravity
beatles - come together
incubus - i miss you
led zeppelin - black dog
the police - roxanne

dbl_bass_drmr_Jirvy
09-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Hmmm

Normal like you - Patience is a Virtue

nzrocker
09-24-2005, 01:13 AM
Another vote for "Fool in the Rain", and also one for "Snowball" by Devo. That is one of the coolest grooves, reminds me of a typewriter.

Oh, and I forgot, "Chameleon" by Herbie Hancock, I absolutely love Harvey Mason's groove/s on that track. So funky.

DruMMeR_BoY14
09-24-2005, 01:19 AM
- In Weak and Powerless by APC Freese does a beat with 16ths on the hat while playing a snare/tom rythm underneath. the hats sound really mechanical and it fits beautifully with the songs mood.

- in the interlue of Thursday - Paris in flames, Tucker Rule plays just a basic beat, but at the start of every 2nd bar he plays "a1" starting on his floor and moving to his rack. Coupled with the bass solo he really pushes the music.

- Actually most of thursday's drumming is pretty stand out.

- Of course you cant go by Schism, the entire song just grooves even though its in like 4 time sigs.

- Ticks and leeches by Tool also has a good groove in the verses, I don't know how Carey does the hi hat licks while playing double bass. I heard a while ago that he used a hi hat stand that instead of pressing down the pull the top hat down, it acted in the opposite way.

- favourite drum beat would have to be Blue by APC, I love the ghost notes and the hi hat licks.

dumbassdrummer
09-24-2005, 02:21 AM
Roxanne - the Police
Fool in the Rain - Led Zeppelin
Easy Skaning - Bob Marley
Camera Eye - Rush
Ticket to Ride - Beatles
Out on the Tiles - Led Zeppelin
Late in the Evening - Paul Simon

rockindrummer
09-24-2005, 02:22 AM
"The Package" - A Perfect Circle

Definitly. What freese plays in the begining of that song just fits it so well. Infact, it might just be me but, I really think pretty much every beat the freese plays in apc's song all work perfectly. There is such a great groove to them that just flows along with the song really nicely and it is almost never lost within the music. You always know the drums are there driving the song, same thing with bonham and alot of zeppelin songs. Unlike in some bands or songs I just totaly clue out to the drums even being there at all.

Double Bass Jim
09-24-2005, 05:02 AM
Camera Eye - Rush

Good choice I was gonna mention this one, that part toward the end with the ride bell hi-hat licks = :cool:

Drum Phil
09-24-2005, 06:45 AM
the beat from around 1:10 in AFI-Death of seasons

Out_Of_Time
09-24-2005, 07:38 AM
personally, i prefer the beats from any of Greg Howe songs with Dennis Chambers as the drummer

that and also John Scofield - Ideofunk, John Scofield - Offspring, John Scofield - Uberjam, and several latin jazz songs

as for beats with double pedals, i listen to stuffs from Trivium and Dream Theater

but then again, i'm into funk/jazz fusion and heavy metal...so yeah, just a personal preference :wave:

RichHunt
09-24-2005, 07:43 AM
I love the drumming Energy by Markmatter on this forum, I tend to play it whenever I get on the kit because it's very similar to the kind of stuff I play (which I guess is because of the tool influence.)

And generally anything tool sticks in my head, I love the drumming from lateralus.

There are a few beats from Incubus they stick to me too.

HeLLmO
09-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Parabola-Tool
Home-Dream Theater(me REALLY love this song\m/)
Rosanna-Toto
i dunno if this counts but i really dig Bravado by Rush
Ticks and Leeches-Tool
Lateralus-Tool
i also really dig Strange Deja Vu-Dream Theater
Paradigm Shift(i can't remember if it is DT or LTE)

yea, can ya tell i like prog rock/metal???

Futuro
09-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Most Original Drum Beats Pink floyd - Saucerful of secrets :lol:

Schism - Tool
King Crimson - One more Red nightmare.....and the rest of the "RED" cd (Cough*FANBOY*Cough)
Sting - St. Augastine in Hell

Ethan.
09-24-2005, 08:22 AM
There's something I love about the Beatles overall rythym... It's just great. :lol: I mean I can tell it's the Beatles because of the feel of the music, not because I know all of the words and tunes. I love it.

The Chemist
09-24-2005, 08:41 AM
i'll be **** on for saying this but 'stockholm syndrome' by blink 182. simple yet effective

Ethan.
09-24-2005, 08:43 AM
...****s on Mad Hi-Hatter...

Gkrrob
09-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Lamb of God - The Faded Line
Fear factory - Cyberwaste
Slayer - Raining Blood
Dream Theater - Home

What do you guys think of those?

oliv_da_skinmasher
09-24-2005, 09:12 AM
chik'n pick'n had a cool drum beat to it

Gkrrob
09-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Paradigm Shift is by LTE
The intro and overall feel of the song kick ***!

HeLLmO
09-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Lamb of God - The Faded Line
Fear factory - Cyberwaste
Slayer - Raining Blood
Dream Theater - Home

What do you guys think of those?

HOME! I LOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE HOME!

Gkrrob
09-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Thats because Portnoy is a genious! Whats your favourite beat from Home? Mines when the distorted guitars first kick in at 1.40 ish, its a great beat, fits the song well and is simple enough not to be showing off yet tricky to get right. Also the Hi-Hat groove at 2.25 just after that nice fill :)
I love home too :D

Massik Kretal
09-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Back in Black :lol:

Hmm maybe:

Losfer Words Iron Maiden
Schism - Tool
Every Gadd beat.

Rayne264
09-24-2005, 11:22 AM
back in black kicks *** man

Iskandar
09-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Slayer - Raining Blood

Hardly original. It's basic speed metal rhythms.

Bruford has done some awesomely original work. He did the entire Discipline album without a hihat! That would certainly bring out some creative playing.

Massik Kretal
09-24-2005, 12:32 PM

Well its a basic rock beat, but theres the part with the bass and hi hat hits so thats original and cool. So yeah Back in Black!

Chester
09-24-2005, 01:03 PM
hmm, just about nething by 311, chad sexton is the man...

im not bias at all

Loyton
09-24-2005, 02:15 PM
heres one that hasnt been mentioned-

Opeth-Deliverance-about the last 4 minutes of the song.

xeonman9000
09-24-2005, 05:18 PM
I can't believe no-one's mentioned anything by Carter Beauford, that guy couldn't not groove if he tried to.

FL3P
09-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Stewart Copeland....anything but Message in a Bottle comes to mind

xeonman9000
09-24-2005, 05:34 PM
It's probably Liberty DeVito on the Billy Joel track, I don't know for sure though.

nonsense!
09-24-2005, 06:08 PM
i'll be **** on for saying this but 'stockholm syndrome' by blink 182. simple yet effective

I've never actually listened to the drumming in this; it is kinda cool.

Iskandar
09-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Stewart Copeland....anything but Message in a Bottle comes to mind

What's wrong with "Message in a Bottle"?

FL3P
09-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Sorry I meant anything, but Message in a Bottle comes to mind. I suppose the proper grammar would have helped

FockerTheLopper
09-24-2005, 07:31 PM
"Schism" has to be one of the best grooves of all time. Whenever somebody asks me to "play something cool," it's usually the first thing I do.

I also have a fondness for Bonham on "Fool in the Rain." I play it at almost every soundcheck. Just a habit.
I wish I could play that shuffle in fool in the rain, I'm going to ask my new teacher to give me some things to help me develop it

Massik Kretal
09-24-2005, 10:21 PM

Yes that one! I love that song and part of the song. It goes like:

B S BB S S BB SB B S BB S S S BB SB bbbbbbS S BBS BBS BBS BBS BBS

HeLLmO
09-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Thats because Portnoy is a genious! Whats your favourite beat from Home? Mines when the distorted guitars first kick in at 1.40 ish, its a great beat, fits the song well and is simple enough not to be showing off yet tricky to get right. Also the Hi-Hat groove at 2.25 just after that nice fill :)
I love home too :D
yeah, when the distortion kicks in it is a amazing, i also like the part when they singer goes into the bit about living the charade, the groove is insane. and i like the part where he is just playing straight double bass, but hitting mad effects, and of course the outro, but the whole thing is insane

Seafroggys
09-24-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm surprised to see Come Together mentioned several times in here. I love playing that!

Anyways, anything by Mitch Mitchell. Fire, Hey Joe, Axis, etc.

ytsedrummer
09-24-2005, 11:46 PM

****! You beat me to it.

All of Martin Lopez's licks are ****ing genious.

AvantGarde58
09-25-2005, 03:18 AM
I really enjoy the beat to James Brown's tune, Mother Popcorn. Cylde and Jabo sure know how to do their thing.

nonsense!
09-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Tower of Power - What is Hip?

the ghost notes.. oh man.

MarkC
09-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Steve Gadds drumming in 50 ways to leave your lover is preety good, not to hard to play ethier

Carn
09-25-2005, 08:07 AM
Deftones - Digital Bath

Cal_on_drums
09-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Californication. Just the way it's played. Anything by the Chad actually.

FL3P
09-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Digital Bath, why didnt I think of that?

good call

Blank
09-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Engel-Rammstein.

A_Guy
09-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Rammstein is a good band

Blank
09-25-2005, 10:40 AM
^ Hell yeah.

1-D
09-25-2005, 01:45 PM
i like slipknots beats

Chris
09-25-2005, 01:57 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins - I Am One

TTTSNB
09-25-2005, 02:24 PM

Bruford has done some awesomely original work. He did the entire Discipline album without a hihat! That would certainly bring out some creative playing.
Well, yeah, alot of the parts in that song(Raining Blood) are, but the chorus has a nice stop start pattern, and its really how the parts fit with the music and his feel that makes that song sound so cool.
Oh, and in regards to Bruford...yeah, basically anything he plays is amazing. :)

rohbit
09-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Americana (intro) - Offspring
Ticks and Leeches - Tool
Pain KIller - Judas Priest
Jesus Christ Pose - Soundgarden
Chop Suey! - SOAD
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
YYZ - RUsh
Come Together - Beatles (i saw this when reading through, definitely kickass)
Scentless Aprentice - Nirvana

F'n hell i almost forgot Sabbath

War Pigs - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Iron Man - Black Sabbath

Chris
09-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Americana (intro) - Offspring

I think that Change The World is a better intro, it is more complex, but sounds alot better for it.

ilikenoise
09-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Jeff Buckley - Grace (the whole album)

Awesome drumming on that.

xeonman9000
09-25-2005, 04:54 PM
I just remembered another one, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep by The Cure, the whole song really draws me in, it's almost hypnotic.

VTDS_xx
09-25-2005, 05:05 PM
O_O
Honor Thy Father-Dream Theater
Sober-Tool (Simple yet great)
Aenima-Tool

Loyton
09-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Id just like to say... i wouldnt almost go insane at the lack of musical taste if not for this forum. I would be sitting in the corner at school listening to my opeth and feeling detatched because i dont enjoy the synthetized maddness that is "pop" This forum has let me see.. there are in fact other people that have taste! And for that i cant thank you enough.

XJOSHX
09-26-2005, 03:13 AM
yesterdays rising - time holds the truth
danzig - cantspeak
samhain - mother of mercy
as i lay dying - behind me lies another fallen soldier
samhain - the howl

nzrocker
09-26-2005, 04:39 AM
Oh my gosh nearly forgot....

Happy Jack - The Who

How could I forget? I still can't figure out half the things Keith is doing on that track. But I love it!

Gkrrob
09-26-2005, 06:27 AM

How many drummers can Hit their toms 3 times and make a whole crowd of people know exactly whats going on? If your standing in a club and hear those 3 hits with the feedback going on, you know whats about to happen. I didnt say it was complex or hard, but for sheer power and greatness. I think in the metal world its one of those unbeatable beats...
But yea its not the hardest of songs

A_Guy
09-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Mud Crusher-The Mushroom River Band

O wait, nobody's ever heard of them

Blank
09-26-2005, 07:19 PM
:lol:
I have.

Double Bass Jim
09-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Duke Ellington - Skin Deep

TasteThePain
09-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Fix You- Coldplay
The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You- My Chemical Romance (just the little Bridge before the last chorus)
and Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - Trivium(just the solo at the beginning)

rohbit
09-26-2005, 08:13 PM
I think that toxicity is also pretty memorable.

TTTSNB
09-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Death-Symbolic.

A_Guy
09-26-2005, 11:27 PM
I think that toxicity is also pretty memorable.

Most of SOAD

ChrisD
09-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Good question:

The Police-Murder by numbers
Sting-Rock Steady
Rush-Xanadu
Primus-Over the electric Grapevine

Double Bass Jim
09-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Xanadu! Great choice :cool:

SolidGoldstein
09-27-2005, 03:58 AM
Any Jimmy Chamberlain beat is unique and stunning to hear, and watch.

But my favorite, at the moment, is probably "Rocket" from the Siamese Dream album.

rohbit
09-27-2005, 12:07 PM
BUllet with butterfly wings is really cool. So moody and it builds really well.

drumguy89
09-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Most SoaD
Dream Theater - Honor Thy Father, 6:00, Stream of Conciousness... oh what the hell... all DT and LTE :-)
Symphony X has some solid stuff as well

red n black
09-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Pink floyd - Saucerful of secrets :lol:

Cracked me up. Just had to say that.

I love that song tho. :cool:

fritzz
09-27-2005, 02:30 PM
led zeppelin-kashmir
dream theater- hells kitchen
manowar- wheels of fire
and some more...

red n black
09-27-2005, 02:54 PM
led zeppelin-kashmir

Why???

As I recall it, it's only a steady rock beat.

CDelle
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
wayyyy too many to list.....but one that comes to mind immediately (as always) is jeremiah green from modest mouse (and as I mentioned in another thread, a LOT of janet weiss' (sleater-kinney) is also really original). a lot of his stuff -- particularly the earlier stuff -- makes lots of use of the toms in the main beat, the ride bell (WOOT!), and atypical use of open hihats...all of which has been having a huge effect on my drumming as I slowwwwly find my own style..

http://www.obleek.com/stuff/musiciansforums/mm_truckers_atlas.mp3
http://www.obleek.com/stuff/musiciansforums/mm_exit_does_not_exist.mp3

Agreed about the earlier Modest Mouse stuff... Jeremiah Green had some awesome, unique beats. His playing really stands out to me.

*Wow, last I had heard Green had left the band right before Good News... but now he's back! Now I REALLY regret missing out on them when they came to town a while back... My wife and her friend went but I wasn't feeling like going... bah!

lewisniven
09-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Martin Lopez' (Opeth) double parradiddle ride groove, its in loads of there songs and its incredible, best beat in the world, lol.

BartatuaIam
09-27-2005, 06:29 PM

No ****. I agree completely.

How about this underrated beat - Cautioners by Jimmy Eat World.

lewisniven
09-27-2005, 06:32 PM
ok yes, im gonna have to go with that, in moments of boredom i always play that bit, and my god i could listen to it on loop for hours, its just like:

OH GOD YES MARTIN DO IT TO ME, DO IT TO ME OPETH STYLE.

ahem, im good.

BartatuaIam
09-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Also Days of the New - Touch, Peel and Stand, the verse beat. I'm trying to think of ones no one else is likely to mention/underrated stuff.

A_Guy
09-27-2005, 07:43 PM
But my favorite, at the moment, is probably "Rocket" from the Siamese Dream album.

Geek U.S.A. is also pretty good. The bass drum part is awesome.

TTTSNB
09-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Martin Lopez' (Opeth) double parradiddle ride groove, its in loads of there songs and its incredible, best beat in the world, lol.
Yess...and I didn't realize thats what it is...now learning all those Opeth songs will be MUCH easier.

Futuro
09-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Cracked me up. Just had to say that.

I love that song tho. :cool:
Most Underrated pink floyd song IMO, If your gonna do drugs, saucerful of secrets is where its at.

officer doofy
09-27-2005, 08:44 PM
The thing is every song has a drum beat that fits it or it wouldnt be there.
haha, not always true. I like your list though A Guy.

Dhak
09-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Why has Mitch Mitchell only been mentioned one time in this thread? Just about everything he plays is extremely original, EXPECIALLY his fills.

Badkarma05
09-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Godsmack - Running Blind
RHCP - Throw Away Your Television (such a cool tom based groove)
Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache

Nothing amazing, just really cool beats I enjoy

Det_Nosnip
09-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Porcupine Tree - The Sound of Muzak, Blackest Eyes. More "grooves" than "beats" though, really...the way that Harrison approaches both of those songs in general just blows me away.

Sam Bredeson
09-27-2005, 10:00 PM
- Ticks and leeches by Tool also has a good groove in the verses, I don't know how Carey does the hi hat licks while playing double bass. I heard a while ago that he used a hi hat stand that instead of pressing down the pull the top hat down, it acted in the opposite way.
Don't know if it's been said, but...

WHERE DO I BUY IT?! I've always wanted a reverse hi-hat stand!!!!

Sam Bredeson
09-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Dude, you know it! I don't care if it's a "simple 2-beat", it's one of the most effective patterns I've ever heard. When mixed with Angus's kickass riffs and the bassists (forgot his name) just plain awesome steadiness, it makes for about the best rock song ever. You probably can't tell I like AC/DC by that, eh? ;)

Sam Bredeson
09-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Sorry about the triple post- I just finished reading the rest of them..

Primus- "My Name is Mud"

Most of the song seems pretty basic, but the floor tom/double bass/snare triplet + hihat quarters thing is just SO COOL. Plus.. I can actually pull off the floor tom/double bass/snare part!!

Det_Nosnip
09-27-2005, 10:47 PM

The verses? He uses one foot for that, I believe.

2112drummer
09-27-2005, 10:53 PM
YYZ - Rush
Holiday - Green Day
Subdivisions - Rush
Big Money - Rush (i'm a Peart fan. can you tell?)

Double Bass Jim
09-27-2005, 11:13 PM
We need more of em, right on man ^

iceman3019
09-28-2005, 01:25 PM
aenima - tool
schism - tool
elephant talk - king crimson
one more red nightmare - king crimson
frame by frame - king crimson
6:00 - dream theater

that's all i can think of at the moment . . .

A_Guy
09-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Space Cadet-Kyuss (I doubt many people will know this song though)

Magnum1978
09-30-2005, 01:45 AM
Porcupine Tree - The Sound of Muzak, Blackest Eyes. More "grooves" than "beats" though, really...the way that Harrison approaches both of those songs in general just blows me away.

Totally. Agree 100% :D

I also like Alice in Chains - No Excuses. A Cool Groove.

Double Bass Jim
09-30-2005, 01:49 AM
Yea gavins one impressive player.

Seafroggys
10-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Why has Mitch Mitchell only been mentioned one time in this thread? Just about everything he plays is extremely original, EXPECIALLY his fills.

Right on man.

I think it was me who mentioned him though, so I won't say it again.

StickFace
10-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Walking on the Moon - The Police.

A cheesey choice, being such a popular song. Just the feel of that sucker is killer, and so clean. Not only is the groove killer, but the little things he does around it, I could listen to it all day every day, so technically entertaining.

IAmSancho
10-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Lenore - Chick Corea
Festival De Ritmo - Dave Weckl (and also everything else off his Master Plan album)
Silver**** - Smashing Pumpkins

valdiorn
10-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Reflection - Tool
Triad - Tool
The Package - A Perfect Circle (Coolest beat EVER! :) )
Faded Line - Lamb of God
When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin

ENTER THE WAG
10-01-2005, 01:17 PM
6:00 by dream theater, no question.

ChrisD
10-01-2005, 02:48 PM
I wish I could play that shuffle in fool in the rain, I'm going to ask my new teacher to give me some things to help me develop it

Ah I forgot "Fool in the rain".Probably the only Zeppelin drum beat that I listen to regularly.

HeLLmO
10-01-2005, 07:59 PM
i've got another, i really dig Suck My Kiss by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, actually, i dig alot of chad smith's stuff, One Big Mob is another one i dig

Everything_and_Nothing_3:15
10-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Marco Minnemann is pretty orignial. Alot of the stuff Matt plays in Mudvayne it quite orgininal I might add. Stewart Copeland too.

STRETCH
10-30-2005, 10:32 AM
lars ulrich(metallica): one
you know the double bass part

oliv_da_skinmasher
10-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Monkey-Galactic(if you dont kno its stanton morres band)
Strange Kind Of Woman-Deep Purple
War Pigs-Black Sabbath
The Trooper-Iron Maiden
some of my faves

DWJK
10-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Californication. Just the way it's played. Anything by the Chad actually.

C'mon, snare 2 + 4, kick on 1 & and of 3. Other than the grace notes he throws in there it really isn't too special. One of my favorites songs though

Rage Against The Machine - Township Rebellion

falda loves pearl xx
10-30-2005, 02:15 PM
What about mudvayne some the stuff matt mcdonough is brilliant and fun to play and he makes it even better live i play quite alot of there stuf and i recomend happy?,just and not falling but some machine head is good aswell. Is no one into that style of drummin any more?

falda loves pearl xx
10-30-2005, 02:17 PM
what about acillies last stand by led zeppelin

drummer_mp3
10-30-2005, 03:50 PM
-Master Of Puppets - Metallica: It's easy to play but sounds killer.
-Battery - Metallica: I have no reason, just a beat I like.
-YYZ - I'm not sure if it's Rush so I'll say Neil Peart: Sounds so nice and fits in with the song so well it could kill.
-Miseria Cantarai (or something like that) - AFI: I hate AFI but this beat just goes on and on and on in my head
-Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (the song in the movie at the start): So damn funky.

Yeah I can't remember anything else at the moment.

oliv_da_skinmasher
10-30-2005, 04:03 PM
On the intro credits you mean? if so yeah that rules

drummer_mp3
10-30-2005, 05:34 PM
On the intro credits you mean? if so yeah that rules
Yup thats the one. Isn't it the funkiest thing ever?

Plan B.
10-30-2005, 05:44 PM
I know this is an obvious one but Give It Away by the Chili Pepper's has the sickest groove. I LOVE it.

3rdplanet
10-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Space Cadet-Kyuss (I doubt many people will know this song though)

blergh, the drums in that song are boring, the guitar + vocal work is fantastic however.

The Bonus Version of 'Shesmovedon', on Deadwing I think, is another good example of Gavin Harrisons style.

'Sleep of no Dreaming' has damn fine drumming as well, Porcupine Tree have had such good drummers.

Motleyguy
10-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr - Trivium (intro)
Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue (such a sweet groove)
Schism - Tool
The Noose - APC (the drumming in this song just absolutely kills)
Passive - APC (just a really wicked groove, all of Freese's stuff is killer)

Byron
10-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Squib cakes-tower of power has a great groove with some cool hi hat work as does lenore- chick corea(steve gadd)

Chris
10-31-2005, 03:44 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins-Set The Ray To Jerry (http://rspaa.niluje.net/data/Demos/MCIS%20Demos%20II/02%20Set%20The%20Ray%20To%20Jerry%20(instrumenta.m p3)

A_Guy
11-02-2005, 05:11 PM
blergh, the drums in that song are boring, the guitar + vocal work is fantastic however.

I agree, but the way the toms sound with the guitar, they blend really well. It shows that the drummer (Brant Bjork) can be original with soft parts as well as hard parts

A_Guy
11-02-2005, 05:13 PM

The drum parts fits in really well with th guitar part. It's very soft and soothing. I think it shows the drummer's (Brant Bjork) skill because he can make amazing parts in soft songs with being too overpowering.

Drum Phil
11-02-2005, 05:14 PM
White stripes - 7 nation army. Amazing drums there

a7xdrummer00
11-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Chapter Four -Avenged Sevenfold
Like Light to the Flies -Trivium
End of Heartache -Killswitch
Silver and Cold -AFI

Trivium is amazing, just to let you know. Their drummer, just wow.

black\m/metal
11-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Anything by Cynic (Sean Rheinhart) or converge.
Primus too (Tim Alexander)

Double Bass Jim
11-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Anything by Cynic
Great band

irishslappop
11-03-2005, 01:52 AM
spagetti western- primus