PDA

View Full Version : Gnx4-Gnx3

Alpepiman
09-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Hey everyone,

I saw the ad for the Digitech GNX4 and it really intrigued me. It seem pretty awesome, the main thing I would use it for would be effect and the built in recording and drum machine. It seems pretty cool that you don't need to hook it up to a pc to record because of the memory card. It says you just tap a footswitch and you can, for example, lay down a rhythm track, then do the lead over it. The only thing that turns me off is that it's by Digitech. So, does anyone have this???Or does anyone have the Gnx3??? How good is it. Tell me in as much detail as you can. I am serious about buying something with digital recording because it is really a pain in the arse to do it on the computer if I am just doing it a spur of the moment. Please anyone tell me anything you know, if you've tried or own it, discuss how you feel.

Thanks a ton

-Big Fat Al

Captain Kirk
09-22-2005, 02:10 PM
My girlfriends dad has one, its pretty freaking sweet. Cool models and effects. I haven't played it too much though since she's over there every other weekend and I'm there way less

TFKGuitarpunk
09-22-2005, 02:11 PM
does it have a loop/sampler built into it? ive been wondering about these too but i havent looked into them...

Alpepiman
09-22-2005, 02:12 PM
I know at least 2 people on here own one.

Alpepiman
09-22-2005, 02:13 PM
does it have a loop/sampler built into it? ive been wondering about these too but i havent looked into them...
Supposedly it has full 8-track recording.

Dark_Cloud
09-22-2005, 02:14 PM
I have a GNX 3 and it's awesome. :thumb:

wyldechild71
09-22-2005, 02:16 PM
I thought the GNX was made by Buick....

HondoII
09-22-2005, 02:18 PM
lawlz!

Alpepiman
09-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I have a GNX 3 and it's awesome. :thumb:
Dude c'mon can't you help me out a bit more than that. :rolleyes:

Please.

It seems to have kick-*** features and got some pretty darn good reviews from Harmony-Central, but I want to hear from you guys.

Dark_Cloud
09-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Dude c'mon can't you help me out a bit more than that. :rolleyes:

Please.

It seems to have kick-*** features and got some pretty darn good reviews from Harmony-Central, but I want to hear from you guys.

I don't have any songs which I recorded with the GNX (on my the computer).
It has a 8-track digital recorder, 65 factory presets+65 user, you can get very cool sounds with it... The recorder is awesome, the sound is amazing... I've bought a SmartMedia card reader (USB) and a 64mb card. The GNX3 supports SMartMedia cards up to 128mb. With this I can transfer my recordings form my gnx to the computer and work with them.
The GNX4 has some extra features than the GNX3

wyldechild71
09-22-2005, 02:29 PM
You guys have 8 track recorders built into your GNX's?

WTF?!

Why didnt I know about these?!

Alpepiman
09-22-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't have any songs which I recorded with the GNX (on my the computer).
It has a 8-track digital recorder, 65 factory presets+65 user, you can get very cool sounds with it... The recorder is awesome, the sound is amazing...
The GNX4 has some extra features than the GNX3
How long can you record a track for?

Alpepiman
09-22-2005, 02:30 PM
You guys have 8 track recorders built into your GNX's?

WTF?!

Why didnt I know about these?!
Ill right, why I want one.

Dark_Cloud
09-22-2005, 02:32 PM
How long can you record a track for?

It depends. If you have a 64mb card, you can record for 12 minutes (CD quality)
with the memory on the GNX you can record for 3 minutes, I think.

EDIT: there is another way to record without using (and buying) the card and the Smartmedia reader.

TFKGuitarpunk
09-22-2005, 02:34 PM
but can you loop the tracks? like a boss loopstation does? thats what im interested in even more than the 8track capabilities

Alpepiman
09-22-2005, 02:34 PM
It depends. If you have a 64mb card and you can record 12 minutes (CD quality)
with the memory on the GNX you can record for 3 minutes, I think.

EDIT: there is another way to record without using (and buying) the card and the Smartmedia reader.
How much is that card?

Dark_Cloud
09-22-2005, 02:35 PM
How much is that card?

Which card??? The 64MB??

Alpepiman
09-22-2005, 02:35 PM
but can you loop the tracks? like a boss loopstation does? thats what im interested in even more than the 8track capabilities
Loop, drum machine, 8 track digital recording, amp models, mad effects, recording software, the works. No I gotta find a way tp get the money. Maybe I'll sell drugs, I'm really that desperate.

Moss
09-22-2005, 02:36 PM
I'd go for the GNX3, simply because I do all my recording on a PC, so I can't help you much there. I don't think you'll get the versatility from the GNX4 that you would from a dedicated 8-tracker, but that's just my opinion.
Digitech gets a real bad rap on these forums, but they are generally good units. Many of my session mates have Digitech in their gear, the RP20, 2112, 2120, etc. are considered to be excellent in their own right. I have an old RP6 that I've used for 10 years and it's still going strong, a GNX1 and other Digitech pedals and none of them have problems. The GNX series is still a bit young to really have a cult following, but I think that in five years time they'll be selling for alot of money on eBay (just like the 2120 is now).

Alpepiman
Which card???
The 64mb smartmedia.

TFKGuitarpunk
its like 400 or something isnt it

Dark_Cloud
09-22-2005, 02:38 PM

400$...?? the card...???

Alpepiman
09-22-2005, 02:38 PM
The gnx4 is $500.

Alpepiman
09-22-2005, 02:39 PM
400$????
He's talking about the actual component.

Dark_Cloud
He's talking about the actual component.

I know :thumb: :)

madcuttlefish
its like 400 or something isnt it400 for a 64MB Smartmedia card?! What country are you living in?!

TFKGuitarpunk
09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
400 for a 64MB Smartmedia card?! What country are you living in?!

haha no the actual processor foo

Dark_Cloud
09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
400 for a 64MB Smartmedia card?! What country are you living in?!

He's talking about the GNX3 and not the card.

madcuttlefish
09-22-2005, 02:54 PM
haha no the actual processor fooOh, I didn't see anyone ask the price of the processor, only yje card.

XtheXshredderX
09-22-2005, 03:01 PM
i have a GNX3 also. i dont use the 8 track recording cause my friend ****ed it up. i walked out of the room for like 10 min to eat lunch and i come back in and then the 8 track doesnt work... it says read-only when i boot it up.. so im kinda mad about that.
(i can reset the unit but i dont want to lose my patches)

but if you get one make sure you get the midi cable if you buy the GNX3 so you can download patches and make your own (easier than doing it by hand on the gnx)

i dont like the sound quality too much, but i guess its good enough. i cant really get enough gain for what i like.

i have some recordings but theyre all at my other house... sorry..

well its alright... but idk... if you have the money i would buy something else. at the time i got the gnx3 (2 years ago about) it was really awesome, but now its not that great, but i use it ALOT though. i use it to learn songs and to do jams and basically anything on the computer. i record with it if its too late at night to record with my amp.

Used666
09-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Ya i own the gnx3, its deffinitely a solid and great sounding effects pedal, despite digitechs shotty rep., its got a great interface for editing and recording though like previously said i would reccommend getting a midi cable for patch editing (i use one made by Uno).The recorder is great though i recommend buying a 128mb smartmedia card (thats the largest it supports) and a media card reader and you'll have great recording capabilities, also has a mic input for laying down vocals,overall great machine and i stand by it 100% though if you got the cash i would go for the gnx4 as it has a couple extra features (ins and outs, better tone shaping,and uses better and cheaper recording cards) :thumb:

Alpepiman
09-23-2005, 04:31 AM
i dont like the sound quality too much, but i guess its good enough. i cant really get enough gain for what i like.

i have some recordings but theyre all at my other house... sorry..

well its alright... but idk... if you have the money i would buy something else.
First question, how is it not enough gain? I thought solid state had plenty of gain.

Second question, What else could I buy???I don't think there's anything on the market right now that has more features than this.

MegaMustaine
09-23-2005, 05:36 AM
Has anyone seen the new Digitech piece of equipment? Seems they are trying to compete with Boss and Pod more. I'll see if I can get a pic, I saw it as an add in the Guitarone Iron Maiden issue.

It is titled the GNX3000.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/135609

Steve Vai
09-23-2005, 08:09 AM
I've heard them and the amp models suck.
It could be the settings.
But everything sounded very buzzy.
I'd go with the PodXTL.

Alpepiman
09-23-2005, 03:30 PM
I've heard them and the amp models suck.
It could be the settings.
But everything sounded very buzzy.
I'd go with the PodXTL.
Yeah, but the main reason I'm getting this is for the 8-track recording, drum machine and all that awesome stuff. I don't think it will sound bad. I am going to go try it at GC today, hopefully it will fulfill my expectations of it because it's the only thing (to my knowledge) on the market right now with all these features. I'll see how it goes, and I'll come back to this thread and give teh scoop on it. :thumb:

shadow57
03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
I have the gnx4, It is awsome. Download many great patches at their website for any sound you can think of. Recording is easy, I am using a 1 gig compact flash memory card. If ya wanna practice you can hook up headphones without an amp and it sounds great.