PDA

View Full Version : how long till you could solo well

Trivium101
09-11-2005, 09:59 AM
ive been playing for 4 months and i was wondering how long it took most of u guys to be able to solo well

crag
09-11-2005, 10:07 AM
depends on what you consider to be 'soloing well'

Trivium101
09-11-2005, 10:26 AM
playing exactly like the actual song

Rage_Against_The_PC
09-11-2005, 10:28 AM
ive been playing for 10 months , still cant solo that well, i guess ability is a key factor as well , if your having trouble mate keep practcing , learn a solo that you like will inspire you like im learning hotel calaforina , yes its bloody hard but its a class solo and i wont stop till ive cracked it :thumb:

TokyoBlade
09-11-2005, 10:56 AM
2-4 weeks for me.

Pom-Bear
09-11-2005, 11:12 AM
about 6 months for me but its harder to solo on crap gear like a 15watt amp + a squire strat

ur ability becomes better on better equipment

oh and i just realized u meant Play like the actual song i think that was about 2 weeks for me

Tara Reid
09-11-2005, 11:13 AM
ive been playing for 4 months and i was wondering how long it took most of u guys to be able to solo wella month tops for me

slpntrx5
09-11-2005, 11:19 AM
since i learned the minor pentatonic. :thumb:

ThePinkPanther
09-11-2005, 11:21 AM
No idea.

Jev
09-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Depends what song.

Tara Reid
09-11-2005, 11:42 AM
just learn cmetary gates solo and your good

Squirrel
09-11-2005, 12:07 PM
just learn cmetary gates solo and your good

No.

magicbus
09-11-2005, 12:09 PM
A few months to play solos identical to the song. But it still takes more time in addition to that to learn new solos.

Tara Reid
09-11-2005, 12:39 PM
ghuys if you play chops will you get faster?

StrangelyBrewed13
09-11-2005, 01:06 PM

I wouldnt consider that good soloing. Id say the ability to bust out an inprovised solo at anytime is considered good soloing.

Pom-Bear
09-11-2005, 01:13 PM
I wouldnt consider that good soloing. Id say the ability to bust out an inprovised solo at anytime is considered good soloing.

Lol

i can improvise solos which (I think) go with the song and sound good but i havnt got a clue what key or scale its in lol i think i just play random licks i make or notes i kno go well together

Rage_Against_The_PC
09-11-2005, 01:37 PM
ghuys if you play chops will you get faster?

is that thee tara reid :amaze: :naughty:

ZoSos_axeman
09-11-2005, 01:39 PM
I was playin the paranoid solo in about 4-5 months

ZoSos_axeman
09-11-2005, 01:40 PM
is that thee tara reid :amaze: :naughty:

i love your icon thing, I won't steal it but where'd you get it?

ZoSos_axeman
09-11-2005, 01:42 PM
yeah "tara reid" even has a homepage where they put pics up and act like they are tara reid

rob91
09-11-2005, 01:43 PM
does the threadstarter mean how long it takes to be able to learn a particular solo perfect, or just in general be able to play solos well?

Rage_Against_The_PC
09-11-2005, 01:48 PM
i love your icon thing, I won't steal it but where'd you get it?
i have no idea lol , just got sent to me

Pom bear :

yeh i agree, i dont like soloing on my strat and it sounds crap in a 15 wat amp but its all i got at the mo, ill keep goin then hopfully smtime i will have a better setup and sound good !

Phatmullet11
09-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Well... Its much easier to play someone else music to play your own and improvise. My opinion; when you can improvise well, you can solo well. I was playing solo's like Wish you were here and The wall after about a year. I could improvise well by about a year and a half.

anthony750
09-12-2005, 02:17 AM
about 6 months for me but its harder to solo on crap gear like a 15watt amp + a squire strat

ur ability becomes better on better equipment

oh and i just realized u meant Play like the actual song i think that was about 2 weeks for me

if the greatest guitarist played with your setup it would still sound awsome, a better guitar only contributes and amp only contributes a tad of difference

it took me 3weeks to learn the solo of a song(very very complex solo) and i am still trying to improve it

Diatonic Dissonance™
09-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Solo fast or solo well?

ShadowMan
09-12-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm gonna take "solo well" as being able to construct my own solos and pull them off well. I've been playing almost seven years, I'll let you know.

andyhainey
09-12-2005, 10:59 AM
bout 2 years, coz i didnt take those years to seriously on guitar

kurrpt
09-12-2005, 11:10 AM
im not sure there was ever a definitive TIME where i could solo well. I will say, that if i want to play a song 100%, ill work on it till i get it :D

Alive
09-12-2005, 03:22 PM
I can't solo fast or particularly well. I can play piano though.

Remember, playing a solo from a song is not particularly big or clever. Sure, good for you, but on the other hand, anyone can do it with enough practice.

anarchist/prostitute
09-12-2005, 03:38 PM
i've been playing almost 3 years and I still suck.... well I can play solo's from other people's songs very well.... but I suck at writing my own.... it took me about a couple months to get the hang of certain techniques... but its not that hard

Diatonic Dissonance™
09-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Solo fast =/= solo well.

I can solo fast, but I'm hopeless at soloing well.

(From a composition point of view)

Metalika
09-13-2005, 12:13 AM
I find it hard to believe that some that has been playing for 1-3 years can improvise a GOOD solo.So many times ive talked to kids that have been playing in that time range and they tell me to play a riff so they can solo over it and they just hit random notes on a minor pent scale and they really think that they are playing some nice sh!t. :lol:

All im saying is it takes lots of practice and lots of knoledge on theory to improvise a sick solo,and dont alwayd believe ppl that havent play for too long when they say that can solo well.

As for me ive playd for a yr and a half i can lern a not so hard solo(no shredding) in a couple hours and have it down pat in a week give or take a day.I suck at improvising my own solos because i dont know theory at all really(trying to learn).

Alive
09-13-2005, 12:03 PM
I find it hard to believe that some that has been playing for 1-3 years can improvise a GOOD solo.

Why? If you learnt hard for a year on the right things you could easuily be competent at improvising, if only from the blues scale.

TokyoBlade
09-13-2005, 02:55 PM
I find it hard to believe that some that has been playing for 1-3 years can improvise a GOOD solo

I've only been playing for 2 years and i can improvise a good solo. Its not about how long you've been playing that decides how well you can play :lol:

kurrpt
09-13-2005, 02:56 PM
I've only been playing for 2 years and i can improvise a good solo. Its not about how long you've been playing that decides how well you can play :lol:

well, it does, but only to a degree :thumb:

Metalika
09-13-2005, 03:12 PM

Ya and no1 can play well enough in 2 yrs to improvise a truly good solo, if u think can then make a recording and show us.

TokyoBlade
09-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Ya and no1 can play well enough in 2 yrs to improvise a truly good solo, if u think can then make a recording and show us.

I spend most my time on guitar improvising :rolleyes: :thumb:

And it is possible for someone whos been playing for 1-3 years to improvise good solos... Its based on talent, practice and determination :p and of course motivation :lol:

But yes, GENERALLY speaking, people who have been playing a longer time can usually improvise better due to the experience :rolleyes:

Smackdowner
09-13-2005, 03:33 PM
it all depends.

rockoholic91
09-13-2005, 08:45 PM
soloing fast is different then soloing well, which might involve being fast. i've been playing just over a year and i think i can solo 'well' as in accurately but not particularly fast

U_Got_Nufan
09-13-2005, 09:01 PM
I have never seen such a dumb post or replies, Soloing fast, or well is only partly based on technique(your physical skills). There is alot of theory involved with soloing. Knowing what scale to play with what chord to get the sound you want, If you want a blues sound or rock etc.

Metalika
09-14-2005, 01:04 AM
I have never seen such a dumb post or replies, Soloing fast, or well is only partly based on technique(your physical skills). There is alot of theory involved with soloing. Knowing what scale to play with what chord to get the sound you want, If you want a blues sound or rock etc.

Thats what im trying to say and also , tokyoblade, what might sound good to you because u playd it , it most likely sound like wankage to every1 else, and that what ppl with little experience dont realize. ive seen it time and time again ,kids saying exactly wat tokyo said and then when i hear them do some solo stuff i say to myself (hmm wtf i think and i know i suck and this kid says he is pretty good with soloing and i can improvise better than that)Meanwhile kid is just bludgeoning some basic minor pent crap that sounds like BB kings' gay twin on methanphetimines. :smoke:

TokyoBlade
09-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Thats what im trying to say and also , tokyoblade, what might sound good to you because u playd it , it most likely sound like wankage to every1 else, and that what ppl with little experience dont realize. ive seen it time and time again ,kids saying exactly wat tokyo said and then when i hear them do some solo stuff i say to myself (hmm wtf i think and i know i suck and this kid says he is pretty good with soloing and i can improvise better than that)Meanwhile kid is just bludgeoning some basic minor pent crap that sounds like BB kings' gay twin on methanphetimines. :smoke:

lol, whatever :lol:

and i do know all the theory :rolleyes: and can play fast AND in the right key and scale. I dont always play fast just because it sounds 'cool' when i play something i know what does and doesn't sound good... I did well in my music GCSE and am probably going to do Music as an AS in collage next year. :thumb:

Dead_Trench
09-14-2005, 01:41 PM
I think I can write good solos but improvisation is different. I can make up good licks but when it comes to linking them together to making a smooth, flowing solo I'm not very good. It'll come in time.

Lucr3tia
09-14-2005, 02:08 PM
I don't really find that people who choose to learn songs accelerate as fast as the people who choose to learn scales and theory. I'm takling about learning the 7 modes of the major scale and memorizing it all the way from the open strings to the 24th fret. You get a better workout and a better stretch playing the scale up and down the neck than you would playing your average solo.

I've been playing for 8 months and I really don't care for learning songs, it doesn't really appeal to me to just play someone elses work. I've played with some of my friends and I was amazed at some of the stuff they couldn't play, and they had been playing almost a year longer than me. I've been working on sweep picking now so I've been just like taking apart chords and figuring out sweep patterns that I could do and so on.

Also, you should almost always use your neck pickup when soloing if you want that better deeper type of tone. It's not that hard to get that classic shredding sound if you use your neck pickup and play around in a scale. (minor pentatonic doesn't work too good for that)

Also, if you're into metal the G Major Scale works great for it. When I learned it I learned how many of Metallica's solos were written in G Major.

Hope that helped, alittle bit. e_e

Metalika
09-16-2005, 12:19 AM
lol, whatever :lol:

and i do know all the theory :rolleyes: and can play fast AND in the right key and scale. I dont always play fast just because it sounds 'cool' when i play something i know what does and doesn't sound good... I did well in my music GCSE and am probably going to do Music as an AS in collage next year. :thumb:

Godbless you then , id like to here some of ur stuff

Metalika
09-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Id actualy like to here a a little of every1's stuff

TokyoBlade
09-16-2005, 06:32 AM
:o

well, the song with my first EVER solo on (which was IMPROVISED :D) is on my bands site.

If you do listen to it remember that i played it a year ago (after 1 year of playing) and it was improvised on the spot. the solo rhythm was played once, then we went to the begging of the solo and i improvised :)

Crap though... (no suprise)

ingraman
09-16-2005, 08:31 AM
I've been playing for a year and I think I can do solos pretty well, as long as they don't involve shredding at a ridiculous speed. Actually, I've been able to play most of the solos I'm currently playing five months after I first started guitar, but it's only now that I've been able to play them accurately and with more advanced techniques like palm mutes and pinch harmonics.

rob91
09-16-2005, 10:01 AM
I find it hard to believe that some that has been playing for 1-3 years can improvise a GOOD solo.So many times ive talked to kids that have been playing in that time range and they tell me to play a riff so they can solo over it and they just hit random notes on a minor pent scale and they really think that they are playing some nice sh!t. :lol:

All im saying is it takes lots of practice and lots of knoledge on theory to improvise a sick solo,and dont alwayd believe ppl that havent play for too long when they say that can solo well.

As for me ive playd for a yr and a half i can lern a not so hard solo(no shredding) in a couple hours and have it down pat in a week give or take a day.I suck at improvising my own solos because i dont know theory at all really(trying to learn).
just cos you cant improvise well doesnt mean no one else can. ive been playin just about a year now and ive had guys whove been playing 9 or 10 years come up and tell me how much they liked my solos so :p

Cliffmeister
09-16-2005, 10:03 AM
just cos you cant improvise well doesnt mean no one else can. ive been playin just about a year now and ive had guys whove been playing 9 or 10 years come up and tell me how much they liked my solos so :p

Did you take lessons or are you self thought like myself.

rob91
09-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Did you take lessons or are you self thought like myself.
had lessons from the start, but i joined this kinda jazz/funk club thing a few months ago and its mostly like: get a general idea of the song and then take turns improvising over it so thats really helped my improvisation and soloing :thumb:

dest. Chaos
09-16-2005, 10:23 AM
copying other's solos is not to "solo well". and the difficulty of solos kind of varies A LOT from song to song...

Metalika
09-16-2005, 08:30 PM

If i heard you so solo i'd probably feel bad and tell you the same. :lol:
newb :D

solohog
09-16-2005, 11:57 PM
I've been playing for about 13 years now. In that time I've learned some expensive lessons. All the pedals in the world won't make you a good player, and a really nice expensive guitar sounds like crap if you don't know how to play. Having way awesome gear and not knowing how to use it is also a good way to not make friends in your local music scene. Being a musician, I don't have to nickels to rub together. Nothing's more frustrating than to watch a high school kid drive around in a beautiful brand new car they're daddy got them for passing high school. Same holds true with gear, at least for me. But I'm rambling.
All your equipment needs to do is function properly. When I play, there's two approaches I take.
First is to actually practice. Scales, chords, finger exercises, stretching, you know, all that boring dumb crap that sucks. I do that all with no distortion, and I turn my treble up a bit. Playing clean really lets you know how well you're progressing. Practicing with an acoustic is even better. The strings are a bit thicker gauge so it's an additional workout. Then when you go to electric everything you do is suddenly a little bit easier.
Second is "rockin out". This takes up a good portion of my life and is the prime reason I'm so poor. This is when I play the songs I love, run through solos I've been working on, original material, covers, improvising, and all the things that make the guitar the crackhead addiction that it really is. This is when I play with whatever pedals I want to. Turn the distortion up and I'm a rock god in my own little world.
What I'm saying is that practice and jammin are two different things, but they are the most crucial elements I believe.
Be thankful for the crappy equipment you have and play it every second you can, meet some folks, start jammin, form a band, get some gigs, make some cash, buy nicer gear. It's definitely not easy, but if success were easy, then everyone would do it.
keep it real.

TokyoBlade
09-17-2005, 01:50 AM
I've been playing for about 13 years now. In that time I've learned some expensive lessons. All the pedals in the world won't make you a good player, and a really nice expensive guitar sounds like crap if you don't know how to play. Having way awesome gear and not knowing how to use it is also a good way to not make friends in your local music scene. Being a musician, I don't have to nickels to rub together. Nothing's more frustrating than to watch a high school kid drive around in a beautiful brand new car they're daddy got them for passing high school. Same holds true with gear, at least for me. But I'm rambling.
All your equipment needs to do is function properly. When I play, there's two approaches I take.
First is to actually practice. Scales, chords, finger exercises, stretching, you know, all that boring dumb crap that sucks. I do that all with no distortion, and I turn my treble up a bit. Playing clean really lets you know how well you're progressing. Practicing with an acoustic is even better. The strings are a bit thicker gauge so it's an additional workout. Then when you go to electric everything you do is suddenly a little bit easier.
Second is "rockin out". This takes up a good portion of my life and is the prime reason I'm so poor. This is when I play the songs I love, run through solos I've been working on, original material, covers, improvising, and all the things that make the guitar the crackhead addiction that it really is. This is when I play with whatever pedals I want to. Turn the distortion up and I'm a rock god in my own little world.
What I'm saying is that practice and jammin are two different things, but they are the most crucial elements I believe.
Be thankful for the crappy equipment you have and play it every second you can, meet some folks, start jammin, form a band, get some gigs, make some cash, buy nicer gear. It's definitely not easy, but if success were easy, then everyone would do it.
keep it real.

123 ^^

rob91
09-17-2005, 02:26 AM

If i heard you so solo i'd probably feel bad and tell you the same. :lol:
newb :D
dude your a dick and your wrong. there is no reason why i shouldnt be able to solo well after a year of playing. just shut up and accept that some people are better than you :wave:

Berner
09-17-2005, 02:31 AM
I was by two years. Those first two years I spent my time doing nothing but buffing up my theory knowledge. Don't go shooting your mouth off.

mikevayne
09-17-2005, 07:21 AM
ive been playing for 4 months and i was wondering how long it took most of u guys to be able to solo well

first off trivium rules!!1

to shred like dimebag darrell or kirk hammet it took me a couple years. just keep workin your fingers

YogoFatso
09-17-2005, 04:31 PM
.....1-4 months was said...yes....right....learning positions etc....doesn't just come out of thin air....anyway...i think to be a proficient solo artist...(from personal experience)....seems average of 4-5 years..(possibly less)..I mean....to know...your scales...keys etc...and solo'ing over each one. I have seen exceptions where people are shredding fast etc....but you know....it's not crazy common. Just keep on the practice....

Alive
09-17-2005, 04:34 PM
first off trivium rules!!1

to shred like dimebag darrell or kirk hammet it took me a couple years. just keep workin your fingers

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Anakin Skywalker
09-17-2005, 04:41 PM
There's different techniques to soloing. I could alternate pick a good solo after about a month. It took me a tiny bit longer to learn hammer ons and pulloffs. I never tried sweeping until about a year after I started, and after the first thing I tried to learn was the Serrana Arpeggios by Becker, and that took about a month/a month and a half.

PowerRiff45
09-17-2005, 07:19 PM
if the greatest guitarist played with your setup it would still sound awsome, a better guitar only contributes and amp only contributes a tad of difference

But it still contributes nonetheless, which would actually make a big difference in any players technique and sound. Much like a guitar with one string or one that's way outta tune.. I wouldn't be able to progress like that.

claptonisgod
09-17-2005, 07:25 PM
a while

ThePinkPanther
09-17-2005, 07:25 PM

:lol:

random666
09-19-2005, 12:50 PM
learn scales

Rage_Against_The_PC
09-19-2005, 01:16 PM
keep it real.

Wat a first post that was , nice one mate :thumb:

solohog
09-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Thank you. I'm sorry it had to be so long winded

randyrhoadsfreak13
09-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
i believe it if you dont beleive me email @ jjchater2001@sbcglobal.net and ill send you a clip of me shredding. ive been playing for 2 years in november

Phatmullet11
11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
To address most of the dumbass comments; It all depends on what you work on... I dont care if you can shred or not, If thats all you can do than you suck. On the topic of soloing. You dont need to place fast to be good at soloing. And Improvising is 100% harder than playing someone elses ****.