PDA

View Full Version : Basses for beginners: Yamaha RBX 170 VS Ibanez GSR200

shad3
09-05-2005, 10:20 AM
For most beginners, buying a first bass can be somewhat a hassle.. some has a pocketbook too narrow to afford a fender, gibson or epiphone, but quality cannot be overlooked, which is why many people pass on a squier, or rogue. Here are the two most common starter basses that most people seem to favour, yamaha RBX 170, and the Ibanez GSR200.. which one to pick? while there isnt a right answer, this review will hopefully aid you in your decision in choosing a beginner bass.

Yamaha RBX 170 -
Price - $179.99 (music123.com)
this is the bass i own, i have owned it for almost a year and a half. I started learning on this bass, played four or five gigs with it, did some recording work, and needless to say, impressed many chicks.

pros -
-it has all the tonal versatility a beginner will need, offering both a P and J pickup, giving a wide range of tones that will sound anywhere like JPJ to flea.
-the neck is super smooth and fast, and the stock strings are fitted properly to make learning easy.
-the fretboard has 24 frets, more frets to play with, this might help in tapping. (this might also be a con, because rumours has it that if a player starts playing a 24 fret bass, they will never adjust to a bass with less frets)
-very highquality, can't go wrong with yamaha, and its backed by yamaha's lifetime guarantee.
-light weight

cons -
-easily goes out of tune. the tuners dont have much traction.. if you put it in tune, it will stay, but if your headstock rubs against something, it will easily move the tuners to detune your bass.
-replacement parts has to be ordered thru yamaha, this is a big headahce if you break a tuner

Ibanez GSR200
Price - $199.99 (music123.com)
This was my backup bass at gigs, so naturally i didnt play it very much, the only times ive played it was rehearsal and a few soundchecks.

pros -
-durability - this bass originally belongs to our drummer, a very violent person. this bass still plays just fine after having been dropped repeatedly.
-pickups - through the same amp, and on the same amp settings, the ibanez sounded a bit fatter and growlier than the yamaha, on which pickups often sound weak.
-better for slapping and popping than the yamaha

cons -
-22 frets (again, preference)
-muddy J pickup - dont know if its that particular bass, but the j pickup on this bass often sounds muddy, compared to the crunchier tone of the yamaha
-neck is fatter than the yamaha, and a tad hard to move up and down the neck.

Radiobass81
09-05-2005, 10:22 AM
This doesn't belong here per se, but it's sort of a review...

I have no idea what to do with this thread.

bass&cookies
09-05-2005, 06:06 PM
well, it kindof is a resource.
i will vouch for the 170, love mine, had it for a year and a half, no problems whatsoever. great bass to mod, too. new pups give it some sweet tones :thumb:

TurnOnTheLight
09-05-2005, 11:45 PM
My first bass was a Yamaha RBX 170. In 3 months the neck was so warped it was unplayable. I never neglected the care of it... maybe quality control let this one slip by.

Jameslar
09-06-2005, 02:04 AM
I have a GSR200, great bass. Upgraded to a BTB406.

Very good action for my bass-virgin fingers to start off with, very easy to play.

I have never played a Yamaha cheapie (cause really... if I already have a cheap bass at home and I got to guitar center, I pull out the $800+ badboys)

Mean Mr Mustard
09-06-2005, 03:08 AM
I am going to get a Bass and I want to know if the Squier Bronco is a good begginer bass? I want a Short Scale.

DaveTNG
09-06-2005, 02:07 PM
I am going to get a Bass and I want to know if the Squier Bronco is a good begginer bass? I want a Short Scale.

Why is it that you want a short scale? I don't reccomend it as when you come to play full scale you will have difficulty getting used to the different size.

Mean Mr Mustard
09-06-2005, 04:42 PM
The only full scale I would want is this..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/508160/

it has good ratings. I think I am going to get this one.

bass&cookies
09-06-2005, 06:54 PM
meh... i dont like violin basses meuch. necks are way o thin, thinner than the geddy i played

Rose_Of_Sharyn
09-06-2005, 07:53 PM
man i dont know if if the gsr200 should be called a begginers bass...maybe just a really cheap bass, beause i was at guitar center trying out a bunch of basses, and I kept playing the Warwick FNA jazzman LTD 2004 and the GSR200, both my favorites out of them all.

Mean Mr Mustard
09-06-2005, 11:40 PM
meh... i dont like violin basses meuch. necks are way o thin, thinner than the geddy i played

Yeah, but I have never really played Bass. If I start with this I will be use to it. And even if I dont really like it, It has good reviews and says it reliable.. I can always get a better bass when I get better.

MuRd0K
09-08-2005, 05:50 PM
If something I have learned, Mean Mr. Mustard, is that Rogue's are pretty much crap, and they are not worth what they ask for.

Jay Turser also makes a violin bass, and Jay Turser > Rogue. Believe me.

Mean Mr Mustard
09-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Its got good ratings on musiciansfriend.com I cant find the Jay Turser you speak of.

MuRd0K
09-09-2005, 01:12 PM
1.- Ratings on musiciansfriend.com are misleading. The webmasters often delete crappy ratings they give to their products, so more products sell. Use Harmonycentral.com instead.

2.- Jay Turser isn't on musiciansfriend. Here's a link so you can buy the bass http://www.zzounds.com/item--JAY2B and here's the one from Jay Turser http://www.jayturserguitars.com/jayturserguitarscgi/display.cgi?num=14&file=jayturser.txt&template=template.shtml

Psychopsilocybin
09-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Its got good ratings on musiciansfriend.com I cant find the Jay Turser you speak of.
try to find a fender stu hamm urge standard. medium scale (32 inches), 24 frets, and a smooth neck. they may be a little wierd looking, but if you like violin basses i don't see how you wouldn't like an urge bass.
http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/d6/fe/f0_1_b.JPG
http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/d6/f0/e8_1_b.JPG

bass&cookies
09-10-2005, 04:25 PM
about jay tursers.. ive played a few, they seem to go out of tune every 5 minutes, and rather bland tonewise

Mean Mr Mustard
09-15-2005, 04:40 PM
about jay tursers.. ive played a few, they seem to go out of tune every 5 minutes, and rather bland tonewise

Thanks for the info.

NoOsH
09-17-2005, 08:24 AM
If something I have learned, Mean Mr. Mustard, is that Rogue's are pretty much crap, and they are not worth what they ask for.

Jay Turser also makes a violin bass, and Jay Turser > Rogue. Believe me.
hey man, dont put down rogue, their good if your on a very tight budget, and granted they arent a big brand name they still are ok for beginners. i have a rogue, and i have been playing for about 3-4 months and i am gonna get an Epiphone Thunderbird for christmas... so rogues arent that bad, but if you have the money go for a bigger brand name

d-1
09-17-2005, 09:21 PM
I like the ibanez better..

spaz21387
10-05-2005, 01:54 PM
i have a short scale bass its vintage gretsch something i dont remember anymore its not bad i prefer my MIM Fender jazz over it i wouldnt get a short scale bass if i were you

LeprachaunBass
10-14-2005, 04:36 AM
In my experience the low-end Ibanez basses aren't really made that great, i'd reccomend an ESP Ltd B-50, it's absolutely great, picked it up for 200 in Belfast and hasn't let me down at all :thumb: