PDA

View Full Version : Hard songs?

moil60
09-05-2005, 06:25 AM
hay can anyone give me a couple of songs that i can learn which has like a whole lot in one song. Not that advanced standard but about dream theatre. thankyou

corderodedios
09-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Are you looking for stuff to work on your hands, your feet, or what?

victheskibum
09-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Umm most of dream theater is pretty advanced actually. Theres like hundreds of odd time signatures and some pretty good double bass.

AfterDark13
09-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Not tool neccesarily but danny carey in general is good.

TTTSNB
09-05-2005, 01:02 PM
anything by Vinnie.

MXicanDrummer
09-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Get out the Advanced Forums!

moil60
09-06-2005, 03:53 AM
umm yer just all over.co-ordination, speed, techniques, fills, syncopation.

drummerboi91
09-06-2005, 04:42 AM
kelly clarkson- behind these hazel eyes

i find tis song quite hard... mayb u shld try...

Josiah
09-06-2005, 05:05 AM
anything by Vinnie.

Oh that is gold!

It's not playing the notes. It's how you make the notes feel.

Here is my challenge to you threadstarter.

Go download, buy whatever.. get the song "Billy Jean" by Micheal Jackson. It's the most simple song in the world.

But the hardest to play.

It's how you make the notes feel. And I challenge you to learn to play Billy Jean and make it sound and feel like the album.

xeonman9000
09-06-2005, 05:11 AM
Every time I listen to that song, I always think the second bass drum should have been moved to the + of 2 so that it coincides with the dun..dun....dun..dun.... bit.

TTTSNB
09-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Oh that is gold!

It's not playing the notes. It's how you make the notes feel.

Here is my challenge to you threadstarter.

Go download, buy whatever.. get the song "Billy Jean" by Micheal Jackson. It's the most simple song in the world.

But the hardest to play.

It's how you make the notes feel. And I challenge you to learn to play Billy Jean and make it sound and feel like the album.
Yup, Vinnie is seriosuly one of the most amazing drummers ever.

Josiah
09-06-2005, 05:52 PM
It's all about Karizma - Document

Carn
09-06-2005, 05:59 PM
jup, maybe one of the best fusion records out there (if not ever)

Lucifericrucifix
09-08-2005, 03:37 PM
hay can anyone give me a couple of songs that i can learn which has like a whole lot in one song. Not that advanced standard but about dream theatre. thankyou

If you can tab it out it's a bit easier considering it's odd timing sometimes and very.. odd sounding.. but check out Dillinger Escape Plan.. Quite random but involves some odd beats of all genres.

Brokensticks
09-08-2005, 05:31 PM
vinnie

dumbassdrummer
09-08-2005, 07:32 PM
"It's how you make the notes feel. And I challenge you to learn to play Billy Jean and make it sound and feel like the album."

Ooh, that's tough. Threadstarter, looks like you've got your work cut out for you.

Feel is the most important thing to have, and if you can do as Josiah has challenged, you've got some feel.

noahsdove
09-12-2005, 04:37 AM
dream theatre
tool
old metallica ( pre in justice for all)
dilllinger escape plan
rush
yes
the police

anything by any of these guys is complicated music and some groove beats.

Tama_Drums
09-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Dream Theater - The Dance of Eternity
Dream Theater - Fatal Tragedy

These are the songs I have the most fun playing, and aren't very easy to learn. Especially Dance of Eternity is very challenging, took me over a week to nail it properly.

BTW, all you guys spelling theatRE, it's TheatER

moil60
09-14-2005, 04:38 AM
well what about songs that just use a basic beat and doesnt have double kick?

beaker_747
09-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Mudvayne. Anything from L.D.50. Top album.

noahsdove
09-14-2005, 02:43 PM
well what about songs that just use a basic beat and doesnt have double kick?

anything by Acdc. Phil Rudd is the number 1 drummer for that stuff.

Caleb3221
09-14-2005, 03:40 PM
The first really "advanced" album I tried to learn and play with was the Billy Cobham George Duke band's Live on Tour in Europe. There is some chops heavy stuff in that, but also some deep grooving to be done. Also check out stuff with Dennis Chambers on it. Especially with Parliament. There is an amazing version of Mothership Connection I have with him on it, with a crazy intro fill, followed by one of the deepest grooves ever played. If you really want it, I might be willing to send it to someone if they contact me, and mabye someone can even tell me what album its on, since I can't find it.

oZeNa
09-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Any Meshuggah songs on drums will get you practiced up. :)

flyguy
09-15-2005, 06:46 PM
I just saw Bill Stewart yesterday and he is an unbelievable player. He generally isnt talked about much on these forums, but i feel he needs to be mentioned in this thread.

Caleb3221
09-15-2005, 09:35 PM
But Bill Stewart is an improvisational jazz player, and you can't really "learn" his songs. I suppose you could, actually, but it wouldn't be too helpful. He is indeed an amazing player though. I recently saw him with Scofield, that was an amazing show.

GnOm
11-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Spiral Architect - Spinning, Spiral Architect - Insect xD

firefoxzero
11-16-2005, 04:28 PM
I would suggest these bands for hard stuff:

Symphony X - time sigs, fills, broken db, grooves
Planet X - rudiments, db, time sigs, grooves, hard fills, polyrhythms, etc
Tool - polyrhythms, dynamics, time sigs, groove
Mudvayne - time sigs, db, fills
Mr. Bungle - different styles of music

Download some songs and judge for yourself

raz0r
11-16-2005, 04:34 PM
If you're determined to stickto single pedal, try some Iron Maiden. Nicko has a beast of a right foot. Check out Ghost of the Navigator, Where Eagles Dare, and The Wicker Man.

Also, check out some Rush.
Especially:
La Villa Strangiato
YYZ
Tom Sawyer

GnOm
11-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness and Pure Holocaust. (speed and stamina in arms and legs)

Slayer - Angel Of Death (speed, and stamina in arms and legs)

Mayhem - Dark Night Of The Soul (nice exercise for double bass playing and other stuff :P)

Mastodon - Iron Tusk (some good fills, and nice for arms and legs)

Try play these songs TIGHT, haha you should have a hard time, but its really good for speed and stamina also for timing

RockStar
11-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Dave Matthews Band
Liquid Tension Experiment - not really hard but really fun to play
Tool - Ticks and Leeches

Motleyguy
11-18-2005, 12:21 AM
If you're determined to stickto single pedal, try some Iron Maiden. Nicko has a beast of a right foot. Check out Ghost of the Navigator, Where Eagles Dare, and The Wicker Man.

Especially:
La Villa Strangiato
YYZ
Tom Sawyer

last I checked, Nicko uses a double bass pedal.

bodger
11-18-2005, 07:28 AM
last time i checked your a moron, he uses single trust me
ts: fool in the rain - led zeppelin

rborghino
11-18-2005, 09:14 AM
nicko only used a double bass pedal in Face on the Sand in Dance of death record-and he hated it.
the lemon song-led zeppelin its not hard but HUGE groove
most of anything by tool is hard
easier DB songs: deathrider by Anthrax or all guns blazing by Judas Priest

oliv_da_skinmasher
11-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Yeah Face In The Sand is the one and only song Nicko Has Ever used a double pedal.

Motorhead have some good fast songs that can be resonably hard, if not that most Led Zep is rly good

LiquidTensionTheatre
11-25-2005, 06:41 PM

Incorrect.

On the topic of nicko, try learning Dream of Mirrors =) I think thats the one, anyway. With nasty nasty galloping kick triplets.

Something which always knackers me at band practises is "So Alone" by the offspring - not a hard song, but rather speedy. my band does a version wher we double the length of each section of the song, cause its pretty short. My arms always burn after it, anyway.

If ye be wantin' sum groovin, check out 6 'o' clock by Dream Theater. Or some RHCP stuff, pretty simple but you have a have feel to get it sounding right.

And I think I already saw someone post this but just in case, learn some Rush - notably YYZ, this still catches me out at times

raz0r
11-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I find YYZ to be one of the easier Rush songs.
The only really ard parts are the fills, and the ending.

Most other rush songs, however, just confuse me. And then there's the case of getting the feel down. What's Subdivisions, without the feel?

EdBanger
11-26-2005, 11:32 AM
I must say this thread is extremly useful.
Some of you may not like this but From First To Last - Note To Self.
Derek Bloom is an ace drummer.

jstyle
11-26-2005, 11:34 AM
is always by blink 182 a hard song? cuz im kinda having trouble with it

EdBanger
11-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Always is around beginner-intermediate
Some of travis's stuff is actually quite good, he's good at what he does jus over-rated slightly.
And not welcomed in the advanced forum by most people.

slim_jim147
11-26-2005, 03:17 PM
slayer seasons in the habyss fast fills

Massik Kretal
11-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Opeth!

Everything_and_Nothing_3:15
11-26-2005, 04:02 PM
My thoughts exactly. Otherwise how bout Golden Dophin by Marco Minnemann, or basically anything by him period.:lol:

spirit
11-26-2005, 07:48 PM

Check again.

I like the way Josiah thinks. Play something simple and make it feel good. Billie Jean is the perfect example. Justin Timberlake's "Rock Your Body" would be a decent example as well. Also, a lot of the drumming on James Brown recordings would be a challenge if you try to replicate the feel. I'm currantly working on "Cold Sweat".

styler
11-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Dream Theater - Fatal Tragedy

These are the songs I have the most fun playing, and aren't very easy to learn. Especially Dance of Eternity is very challenging, took me over a week to nail it properly.

BTW, all you guys spelling theatRE, it's TheatER
the hell are you talkin about?its theatre

raz0r
11-27-2005, 06:47 AM
the hell are you talkin about?its theatre

It should be, but the band are from americaland, so theyspell everything wrong.
:p

some jive turkey
12-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Check again.

a lot of the drumming on James Brown recordings would be a challenge if you try to replicate the feel.

exactly,

I wish more drummers would tap into this concept.

Busy drumming can be fun, interesting, challenging, imaginative, but it really doesn't do much for me unless the drummer has a good feeling. This mysterious, elusive element of "feeling" seems to come about when drummers work on dynamics, accents, getting in the groove, loosing your ego and finding the music, getting good control of your hands (and feet) while developing your finesse.

Lack of feeling usually comes about by busying yourself to the point where you can't concentrate on these things.

No feel = No soul = boring, lifeless drumming

xNerox
12-18-2005, 01:22 PM
for just straight up chops, i'd say attempt to learn benedictine convulsions by cryptopsy... lol

time sigs... dillinger escape plan.. really spastic stuff
for some nice 'feel' music stuff, martin lopez's drumming in more mellow opeth songs.

FockerTheLopper
12-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Just for the record when you guys say Vinnie your talking about Coliatua(sp I know its way off) right?

fromtheshadows
12-18-2005, 01:37 PM
if you have heard of bleed the sky there drumming is pretty sic, check em out, might keep you entertained :thumb:

ChrisD
12-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Time out-Dave Brubeck
Murder by numbers-The Police
Hemispheres album-Rush
Xanadu-Rush
Little Wing-Sting
Year of the Parrot-Primus
Sgt. Baker-Primus
Montsegur-Iron Maiden

Byron
12-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Just for the record when you guys say Vinnie your talking about Coliatua(sp I know its way off) right?
n00b

yeah Vinnie Coliauta (I don't know how to spell it either)

FockerTheLopper
12-18-2005, 03:35 PM
n00b

yeah Vinnie Coliauta (I don't know how to spell it either)
Wow... Hyprocritical are we... Who told who to stop being a dick... Anyway its Coliauta you got it right

Hard songs. Learn bebop by basie and the heats on by basie heads on is at about quater = 270 and bepop is quater = 400. Other hard songs are time check by dave weckl and the buddy rich big band

TTTSNB
12-18-2005, 10:18 PM
exactly,

I wish more drummers would tap into this concept.

Busy drumming can be fun, interesting, challenging, imaginative, but it really doesn't do much for me unless the drummer has a good feeling. This mysterious, elusive element of "feeling" seems to come about when drummers work on dynamics, accents, getting in the groove, loosing your ego and finding the music, getting good control of your hands (and feet) while developing your finesse.

Lack of feeling usually comes about by busying yourself to the point where you can't concentrate on these things.

No feel = No soul = boring, lifeless drumming
Yeah man, I'm trying so hard to get feel into my playing nowadays.

GnOm
12-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Myrkskog - The Hate Syndicate..

I can't even play that song for 10 seconds, lol

EdBanger
12-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Also dont be a one genre person.
Get the feel of different types of music to put into your playing.

Andy_was_here
12-21-2005, 05:39 AM
Learn some "Primus" songs. They've had a few good drummers.

HeLLmO
12-22-2005, 04:56 PM
i think Painkiller by Judas Priest is a pretty good work out for the legs, although it isn't too complicated, it is a good work out for u feet
for u hands, well, if u want to aim for really really REALLY hard stuff, play They're Red Hot by RHCP, chad plays the whole song with hands. speaking of guys with groove, chad has some of the sickest groove IMO

ValeOfShadows
12-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Play some Mudvayne.

TTTSNB
12-23-2005, 09:03 PM
i think Painkiller by Judas Priest is a pretty good work out for the legs, although it isn't too complicated, it is a good work out for u feet
for u hands, well, if u want to aim for really really REALLY hard stuff, play They're Red Hot by RHCP, chad plays the whole song with hands. speaking of guys with groove, chad has some of the sickest groove IMO
Eh, the double bass is pretty simple IMO there, but some of it is fairly complex.

HeLLmO
12-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Eh, the double bass is pretty simple IMO there, but some of it is fairly complex.
well, i didn't mean it was too complex, i just meant there was alot of it

Native_Drummer
01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
A good song that sounds hard but is accually very simple once you learn it is toxicity by system of a down...anything by slayer...****in hostile by pantera...anything by slipknot...TRY learning some devildriver!(impossible to most)...mudvayne is good

Cheers!:chug:

slim_jim147
01-06-2006, 09:33 AM
The ytse jam and stream of conciousness by dream theater

-SJ

Caleb3221
01-07-2006, 05:19 PM
It's spelled Colaiuta...

joe_04_04
01-08-2006, 03:36 PM
try playing "now youve got something to die for" or "What ive become" by lamb of god.....

Berk
01-08-2006, 03:57 PM
try playing "now youve got something to die for" or "What ive become" by lamb of god.....
Its about time someone said Lamb of God,
11th Hour: Lamb of God
Omerta: Lamb of God
Note to Self: From First to Last

HeLLmO
01-08-2006, 04:18 PM
blood of the scribe by Lamb of God is pretty sick IMO

We_Love_Lime
01-09-2006, 08:52 PM
The Meters- People Say
The Meters-Africa
The Meters-Just Kissed My Baby
The Meters-Pungee
The Meters- Cissy Strut
The Meters- Live Wire
.. Hell anything by The Meters... Ziggy is just dope

KK2K5
01-10-2006, 02:01 PM
I think the drumming on Dream Theaters earlier albums is harder than the latter ones.
Try songs like Learning to Live and Take the time. Also for double bass rythms try playing some Fear Factory

Aktor
01-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Pick up the Pieces - Avarage White Band - really good practice. It's friggin hard.

And Toxicity - System of A Down. Sound ****ing awesome. Not that hard to play actually when you get it. (if you got tabs for that one they'll prob be ind 6/8 feel, but just cut them down to 2/4 with a triplet feel. Thats a whole lot easier).

Dyers EvE
01-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Metallica - Dyers Eve

Meshuggah - Millenium Cyanide Christ (I think that's the name.)

Mudvayne - IMN; The outro & intro is so sweet, you should try is ASAP.

Carn
01-16-2006, 05:52 PM
A good song that sounds hard but is accually very simple once you learn it is toxicity by system of a down...anything by slayer...****in hostile by pantera...anything by slipknot...TRY learning some devildriver!(impossible to most)...mudvayne is good

Cheers!:chug:

you should start listening to Death. You`ll get a better view of decent metaldrumming :)

DillingerEscp
01-18-2006, 02:11 PM
ANYTHING by The Dillinger Escape Plan... Chris Pennie is my idol, one of my favorite drummers, and the songs are pretty hard.

fishbulb
01-18-2006, 02:18 PM
i was too lazy to read all hte posts, but Dream theater plays some insane stuff. One song, might be Pull Me under, Petrucci plays at 13/15 and Portnoy plays at 11/13 for a while and then they meet up again. pretty crazay.

DillingerEscp
01-18-2006, 02:22 PM
i was too lazy to read all hte posts, but Dream theater plays some insane stuff. One song, might be Pull Me under, Petrucci plays at 13/15 and Portnoy plays at 11/13 for a while and then they meet up again. pretty crazay.

Wait... I dont believe 13/15 or 11/13 exists... considering theres no such thing as 15th notes, or 13th notes.

isp_of_doom
01-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Just what I was going to say (the 11/13 debate). I think it might be Under a glass moon... Theres a bit in that that always throw me off, I havent really learnt it though, just play to it when it comes on.

zorgon66
01-19-2006, 12:56 PM
yeah dream theater is real good and good drums.but I just cant seem to keep up.and all the fills they are crazy,and evry time I do play dream theater I can hardly catch the fills he is so fast lol

KK2K5
01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Portnoy uses alot of double bass in his fills. Thats why they usually sound so fast. For example the second pre-chorus fill in Pull me under used to throw me until i reallised he used simple double bass

The Feeding
02-03-2006, 11:28 AM
most stuff by As I Lay Dying is pretty technical, also try some Mudvayne if your into metal.

We_Love_Lime
02-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Fool In The Rain- Led Zeppelin, The samba and the triplet beat is hard

nonsense!
02-04-2006, 08:40 AM
is always by blink 182 a hard song? cuz im kinda having trouble with it

I'd have to listen to it but it's POSSIBLE that he recorded the drums twice(if not, he used sampling and triggers and the like), I know he does in some of their songs I'm just not sure about that one.

Meaning, for you to try to play it and mimic it exactly would be next to impossible.

FockerTheLopper
02-04-2006, 10:16 AM
The Police, extremely hard grooves hihat work and feel.
Dream Theater, complex grooves played at high speeds, mostly singles though.
Rush, pretty hard grooves very hard feel very hard fills/solos.
Tool, takes full understanding of the song because of time sigs and whatnot, very hard grooves and feel, very hard fills and solos.
Led Zeppelin, sounds very easy but when you sit down you see just how hard it is, not to mention its close to impossible to imitate John Bonhams power and sound.
Jimi Hendrix, again easy sounding but some things are pretty hard, luckily it isn't too fast.
The Who, not exactly complex but really energetic feel, its accually easier to imitate just by opening up your sound.
Yes, I've only heard 3 or 4 songs but during the Bruford era of yes, the grooves were hard the music was fast and the playing was perfect.

For rock those are about all the hard songs(exept death metal where they go 300000 bpm, but you got to specialize in it to play it)

Any jazz funk fusion or most other styles are harder then rock to begin with.

MagicMedicine
02-05-2006, 10:59 PM
If your looking to focus on playing a single pedal (good choice by the way)

then I have a few suggestions for you. Although they arnt very "advanced" they arnt standard rock beats either. They have grooves, and fills, and accents. and a good workout for a single pedal.

I dont know what skill level you are, but Im going to throw some songs out there that would help you no matter how good or bad you might be. Even if you dont like these artists... you shouldnt be paying attention to the artists, you should be paying attention to the drumming, but at the same time listen to how the drum beats fit with the rest of the band.

Incubus - Glass
With this one(and the rest), listen to the song one time around without playing along. when your playing along u can drown out fills and accents and stuff without realizing it. If you want to really take in as much as you can from this song. try to learn it exactly how he plays it, and then after uv mastered it, Where he ads fills and accents and effect cymbals and stuff try to come up with your own stuff to fit in there.

in whatever song your learning when fills and accents come up. once you learn their fills and accents for that song you start to recognize patterns so you can basicly add your own versions.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Greeting Song
This song is mostly just an endurance workout for your single kick, untill the 2nd half of the song (but even then it isnt TOO hard). If you listen to it you can really hear how he grooves to the basslines. (and thats an important thing when your jamming with musicians who actually study music and theory.

Korn - P o r n o Creep <- wouldnt let me type it normal
This isnt actually a song, just a jamming groove thing. Its really fun to play too, especially when you crank your snare up tight. Not too technical or long, but again you can learn to jam exactly to his fills, and then you can apply your own creativity to the same beat.

Deftones - Digital Bath
Again I dont know your skill level. But the beat throughout this song would challange anybody if they are new to that type of drumming (the non basic rock beat kind). If that was the case, then you would learn it. and then later on it would help your basic beats sounds more advanced to the untrained ear.

If you look over my suggestions and say "nah i dont like those bands" or listen to the songs and just assume u'd be able to play them. then you will learn nothing.

If you take the time to learn songs completely, even if they arnt challanging. you will still learn something from each song no matter what.

I would also suggest learning some dream theater or tool songs (even if you use a single pedal. just dont worry about keeping up with the kick drum at all the times. just play what fits with the patterns).

enjoy.

Seafroggys
02-05-2006, 11:06 PM
anything by Acdc. Phil Rudd is the number 1 drummer for that stuff.

No AC/DC sucks.

Go for good music, such as The Beatles.

DxRocker
02-06-2006, 04:53 AM
The advanced forum is not about playing (or better: copying) songs. Wheter they are "hard" or not. Even though that is largely subjectiv.

SparBZ
02-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Especially:
La Villa Strangiato
YYZ
Tom Sawyer

YYZ is a very good one to get coordination of the feet and hands working, as it involves constant usage of syncapated bass and hi-hat chokes, and many of the riffs played on the ride cymbals involve a quick wrist and knowing where to place the stick on the cymbal.

Try to learn this one as best as possible, probably practice it a good 5-6 times in a row before taking a break. But always remember to listen to the track before playing it so you can get the feel for it. If you don't have a feel for Rush, I recommend listening to YYZ, Subdivisions, and Spirit of the Radio a few times, and then try to play some of them. Neil Peart's drumming was definitely a positive asset on my skills, and I'm just fifteen ;)

Hope I helped, have a good one :)

Drummer Freak 911
02-11-2006, 09:01 AM
kelly clarkson- behind these hazel eyes

i find tis song quite hard... mayb u shld try...

lol thats funny :rolleyes:
laugh at me if u want but i find "Bat Country" Avenged Sevenfold kinda advance :smoke:

GhostGrooveMike
02-11-2006, 09:07 AM
I dont know the first thing that came to me head was Fool in the rain by zeppelin
Its got a good groove. But a lot of jazz stuff is good. Check out Jack Dejohnette playing with Miles Davis.

HeLLmO
02-11-2006, 09:11 AM
No AC/DC sucks.

Go for good music, such as The Beatles.

dude no. AC/DC doesn't suck. it definatly isn't hard, but it definatly doesn't suck

breakster
02-16-2006, 04:23 AM
Oh that is gold!

But the hardest to play.

almost like "rosanna" by toto. play that thread starter - properly :thumb:

DillingerEscp
02-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Dillinger Escape Plan

thats all.

Zildjian
02-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Metallica - One....Its easy but so fun to play
Pantera - Broken...My favorite Vinni song
Foo Fighters - My hero...Its actually quite hard to alot of people
Dream Theatre - 6:00...The beggining is is fun

Drummer Freak 911
02-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Metallica - One....Its easy but so fun to play

that was my first metallica song i learned to play :thumb:

noahsdove
02-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Try finding Cynic-Focus. Nice odd time sigs and stuff

breakster
02-18-2006, 04:46 AM
he asked for hard songs and we keep ginving him easy things like metallica. sorry if this has been said but try "stinkfist" "schism" "46 and 2" and "eulogy" by tool. DAnny CArey is ultimate. Also listen to the band coheed and cambria - the drumming is challenging but also really fun to play. the drummer is josh eppard

isp_of_doom
02-18-2006, 04:46 AM
One took me a while to learn... Enter sandman wa sthe first song I ever learned...

I really doubt this is deserving of the advanced forum though.

try learning a solo or two off steve smiths Drum Set Technique DVD...

that has to be hard. he has so much control over his expression on the kit. fantastic.

Zildjian
02-19-2006, 09:01 PM
he asked for hard songs and we keep ginving him easy things like metallica.

Yea bout that...They have hard songs...Take a look at motorbreah...and Justice for all and Dyers Eve...tell me u can do that without studing it for a lil wile:thumb:

santi3hg
02-20-2006, 10:07 PM
hmm

With Honor-To Believe
Bleeding Through- For Love and Failing

are two songs i try to have perfect.

LtDt
02-24-2006, 05:44 AM
If you want to see a pretty challenging song being played go to www.video.google.com amd search "Dream Theater". Look for some guy playing Dance of Eternity...its good stuff.

Vespa
02-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Billie Jean- Michael Jackson
Supertstition- Stevie Wonder

Technically easy.

you think you can lay them, but try and recreate the feel 100%, people think they can play these songs but they arent even close, its the same beats but the feel isnt there.

JR + Wonder > Portnoy in my opinion.

Groove > Chopfest

My opinion, sorry all you DT heads.

Oh and Rossana -Toto. That guy can lay it down! Pocaro <3

pyro1990
02-25-2006, 07:21 AM
if you want learn metal as well as improve uore double bass drum playing slipknot is exellent music to learn. i recommend duality for a first slipknot song

We_Love_Lime
02-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Billie Jean- Michael Jackson
Supertstition- Stevie Wonder

Technically easy.

you think you can lay them, but try and recreate the feel 100%, people think they can play these songs but they arent even close, its the same beats but the feel isnt there.

JR + Wonder > Portnoy in my opinion.

Groove > Chopfest

My opinion, sorry all you DT heads.

Oh and Rossana -Toto. That guy can lay it down! Pocaro <3

Agreed.

Phototropic
02-25-2006, 08:27 AM
if you want learn metal as well as improve uore double bass drum playing slipknot is exellent music to learn. i recommend duality for a first slipknot song

Slipknot isnt excellent music to learn

its not even excellent drumming

And its hardly metal :smoke:

I recommend Deftones if you wanna work on your groove, their drummer can lay down some phat ass beats

EdBanger
02-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Joey is a lazy pig because he uses triggers.

santi3hg
02-25-2006, 09:02 AM
wow! i didnt know he used triggers

/respect for him dropped 100 points

crazyguy832
02-25-2006, 10:19 AM
No, if you want to improve double bass and learn metal, play Lamb of God.

AND WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH TRIGGERS!? IT ISN'T BEING LAZY, DAMNIT!

santi3hg
02-25-2006, 10:35 AM
^^

im just a pissed off 17 year old cause i cant afford it

EdBanger
02-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Well it is lazy when your using them to make it sound like your going faster than you actually are.

crazyguy832
02-25-2006, 11:44 AM

Do you have NO CONCEPT of triggers WHATSOEVER?

All triggers do is register your hit and then produce a different, consistant sound. It's not like you set them up so that whenever you hit the drum, it sounds like you're hitting more htan you are.

raz0r
02-25-2006, 11:48 AM

Do you have NO CONCEPT of triggers WHATSOEVER?

All triggers do is register your hit and then produce a different, consistant sound. It's not like you set them up so that whenever you hit the drum, it sounds like you're hitting more htan you are.

It does, however make up for inconsitencies (sp) in the power of each stroke, which IS cheating.

crazyguy832
02-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh, big WHOOP.

Ya know what?

I want you to do 16ths at 300bpm and have them be able to project in a large concert.

Go do it! NOW!

EdBanger
02-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Well thats being lazy then. Isnt it now

Why would i want to ?

crazyguy832
02-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Ya know what?

You can go screw yourself.

Triggers are NOT cheating.

If triggers are cheating, then aren't electric guitars cheating? I mean, with those, your volume's always the same as well.

We_Love_Lime
02-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Ya know what?

You can go screw yourself.

Triggers are NOT cheating.

If triggers are cheating, then aren't electric guitars cheating? I mean, with those, your volume's always the same as well.

Owned.? Nothing's cheating interms of dualist, triggers. Etc. I don't use them, nor do i plan on doing so, just for the pure, roots and culture persay of drumming .

crazyguy832
02-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Thank you! Someone backed me up!

^_^

And what's less cheating about triggers than an electronic kit, as well?

cybersprint
02-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Fool In The Rain- Led Zeppelin, The samba and the triplet beat is hard

And especially the sextuplet roll leading into the triplet groove...cant get that down tight yet

raz0r
02-25-2006, 12:44 PM

Umm, no it's not.

The pickups pick up the vibrations in the strings, which can be altered by playing louder.

Oh, big WHOOP.

Ya know what?

I want you to do 16ths at 300bpm and have them be able to project in a large concert.

Go do it! NOW!

Why not just program it into a drum machine? I'd get the same effect.

crazyguy832
02-25-2006, 12:58 PM
You know what? I'm sick of arguing.

Triggers are NOT cheating. And you haven't answered about electronic kit.

I'm also fairly sure Peart triggers at least one of his drums.

cybersprint
02-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Dave brubeck quartet: Take Five

Drummer Freak 911
02-25-2006, 02:16 PM
ok, I'll probably get flamed for this but "Lights and Sounds" Yellowcard is pretty hard. I can play some parts but not all of it.

We_Love_Lime
02-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Dave brubeck quartet: Take Five

Yep. 5/4 is so weird at first.

LostRythym
02-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Hmm...
Liquid Tension Experiment(corrected by scruples)-Paradigm Shift. An okay song, but a little fast.
Van Halen-Hot For Teacher
Dream Theater-Dance of Eternity

Vespa
02-28-2006, 09:37 AM
The Oakland Stroke - Tower Of Power.

Anyone that can play that properly with feel gets ++ respect from me. Linear to the max and Garibaldi doing what he does best.

MagicMedicine
03-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Who cares if triggers are cheating? Drummers who focus on playing double bass as fast as they can and with a consistant volume can be replaced with drum machines and u wouldnt know the difference.

Id rather hear a much slower double bass beat, with feel in it, where the drummer will actually be accenting bass beats by hitting certain ones louder or softer. As if you were playing the snare drum with your feet i supose? <-- but this part is just my opinion, the first paragraph is fact in most case.

crazyguy832
03-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Triggers aren't cheating!

Once you hit certain speeds, it just isn't possible to get that much volume. And there are plenty of other legitimate reasons for triggers!

And what if a song calls for fast double bass beats? And missing a drummer WILL be noticed. A machine just doesn't cut it live, except for maybe a pop group.

Gargoth
03-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Triggers aren't cheating!

Once you hit certain speeds, it just isn't possible to get that much volume. And there are plenty of other legitimate reasons for triggers!

And what if a song calls for fast double bass beats? And missing a drummer WILL be noticed. A machine just doesn't cut it live, except for maybe a pop group.

I agree with you 100 %, when you hit that spot of getting fast, a bass drum mic can't hold it, all you get is thunder, but you can muffle the drums, but then it sounds bad anyways. Triggers are a good solution. Btw Crazyguy, saw you on Derek's forum, nice to see you here too :)

moil60
03-10-2006, 06:37 PM
lol ok thanxs for your responces, but ive posted up another thread and its hards songs 1 bossonova, 1 heavy rock with double kick, 1 jazz and 1 latin. Under 5 mins. as in hard like challenging and stuff that will get my marks because i have to play for my hsc not stuff liuke metallica. the hsc is a test in all subjects that decides your future job. keep in mind that the markers are about 30+ so maybe to most heaviest songs such as a slayer songs isn't really appropriate because the marker will tink its just a bunch of crap because they weren't brought up with this kinda music. thanks

Killtacular
03-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Hmm...
Dream Theater-Paradigm Shift. An okay song, but a little fast.
That's Liquid Tension Experiment.

PDD
03-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Yell at me if you want (i havent been in the drum forum before) but Lamb Of God?

We_Love_Lime
03-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Yell at me if you want (i havent been in the drum forum before) but Lamb Of God?

No.

Heh. :(. Don't know them.

MNdrummer21
03-11-2006, 10:57 AM
about the triggers thing, they arent cheating, it just helps kkep all the hits at the same volume, which i guess could be considered cheating by some. But there is a certain speed that you hit where the triggers are needed so its not just a big muddled rumble from the bass.

PDD
03-11-2006, 11:40 AM
No.

Heh. :(. Don't know them.
Downlaod "Now you've got something to die for" It's tough for the genre.

master_of_muppets
03-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Well it is lazy when your using them to make it sound like your going faster than you actually are.

ur a ****ing retard mate... go play cyperwaste by fear factory on his same kit with triggers and play it like it is... YEAH **** YOU

YoungDrummerBoy
03-13-2006, 03:20 PM
"The Decline" - NOFX is a reasonably difficult punk song. Plus its 18 min long so mastering the many parts is hard.

Walk In The Park
03-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Sevendust, Slipknot, Killswitch Engage

MarkoTaxman
03-15-2006, 04:28 PM
* Sting / Manu Katche - Seven Days
* Phish / John Fishman - Limb by Limb
* Smashing Pumpkins / Jimmy Chamberlin - Jellybelly & Geek U.S.A.
* Peter Gabriel / Manu Katche - That Voice Again

No acrobatics here, just challenging fun.:thumb:

Killtacular
03-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I've always been fond of System of a Down's Spiders. Good stuff.

Inkstar
03-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Been mentioned before, but: Dream Theater - The Dance Of Eternity. Great song. Very challenging.

MagicMedicine
03-16-2006, 01:17 AM
I agree with you 100 %, when you hit that spot of getting fast, a bass drum mic can't hold it, all you get is thunder, but you can muffle the drums, but then it sounds bad anyways. Triggers are a good solution. Btw Crazyguy, saw you on Derek's forum, nice to see you here too :)

even tho I already posted on the matter, I dont think triggers are cheating either, but I can always tell if it's a trigger, and I hate the sound of a triggered drum.

And couldnt the thunder problem be fixed by micing two bass drums instead of using a double pedal?

TOOL2SAGE
03-23-2006, 09:42 PM
he asked for hard songs and we keep ginving him easy things like metallica. sorry if this has been said but try "stinkfist" "schism" "46 and 2" and "eulogy" by tool. DAnny CArey is ultimate. Also listen to the band coheed and cambria - the drumming is challenging but also really fun to play. the drummer is josh eppard

EXCELENT choices. Daney Carey is who I'm studying now (trying) and its really kicking my ***. Interdepedance is a must, each limb has to have a mind of its own on these songs. add to list above: Ticks and Leeches and The Grudge. Master these and your the man.

Magnum1978
03-23-2006, 09:54 PM
* Sting / Manu Katche - Seven Days
* Phish / John Fishman - Limb by Limb
* Smashing Pumpkins / Jimmy Chamberlin - Jellybelly & Geek U.S.A.
* Peter Gabriel / Manu Katche - That Voice Again

No acrobatics here, just challenging fun.:thumb:

actually it was Vinnie who played on that song - Great song though!

thenewguy515
03-23-2006, 09:58 PM
blood of the scribe by Lamb of God is pretty sick IMO
that song's not thathard, pretty damn fun to play though:thumb:

EDIT- hardly any Lamb of God songs are hard, Lombardo > Adler.

EdBanger
03-25-2006, 01:30 PM
ur a ****ing retard mate... go play cyperwaste by fear factory on his same kit with triggers and play it like it is... YEAH **** YOU

1) Swearing like that is just unnecessary at least people have justified what they have said to prove me wrong.

2)I think its cyberwaste not cyperwaste.

3)This is a good thread, lets just leave the triggers thing alone now.

NewMetman
03-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Hard songs eh? Being a Rush fanatic I'd say Tom sawyer, Subdivisions, Presentation section of 2112, and New World Man for a reggaeish feel. Tom sawyer is really cool for the right arm pumping out the 16th note beat the whole time

Bl4ck3n3D
03-26-2006, 03:28 PM
that song's not thathard, pretty damn fun to play though:thumb:

EDIT- hardly any Lamb of God songs are hard, Lombardo > Adler.

I don't know about that. I find it harder to play Lamb of God songs than Slayer, and Grip Inc.

Sleeper
04-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Abe Cunningham from The Deftones has some challenging beats, check out the songs:

Digital Bath
Hexagram
Knife Party

Premier4L
04-16-2006, 11:22 PM
Extreme Unction by Necrophagist

Coma Divine
04-17-2006, 02:14 AM
Try Isis - "The Beginning And The End".

Simple on paper perhaps, but very tough to get the powerful feeling across like the drummer does. Try to nail the fills too, the way the dude plays is very emotional and groovy.

Dhak
04-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Try playing any galactic songs. Stanton Moore plays some pretty difficult stuff.

London Prophet
04-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Listening to my music through headphones so i can find some good songs:

These are all very hard (I would say so anyway)

Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Free Style 7/4 from Billy Cobham, Really Jazzy.

Machine Head - Davidian
Back when Chris Kontos played drums, The opening fill is awesome, but what leaves my mouth open is the fill at 1:00 (Listen to the first 1min15, then stop)

Chase - Hades (Pluto)
Jay Burrid with some truly astounding jazzy fills.

Porcupine Tree - Dislocated Day
Chris Maitland (my old drum teacher) shows anyone what happens when you get good at paradiddles (demisemiquaver paradiddles at 80BPM). The beat towards the end is also awesome.

Slipknot - Eyeless
I respect Joey Jordison for being able to do the fast double pedalling AND play syncopated rhythms over the top. He also has a variety of beats ...something not found in much death metal stuff.

The Mars Volta - Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore: Pour Another Icepick
I adore Jon Theodore .... He's such an interesting drummer because all hsi beats are so .... different .... you would never guess his choice of beats

raz0r
04-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Porcupine Tree - Dislocated Day
Chris Maitland (my old drum teacher) shows anyone what happens when you get good at paradiddles (demisemiquaver paradiddles at 80BPM). The beat towards the end is also awesome

Slipknot - Eyeless
I respect Joey Jordison for being able to do the fast double pedalling AND play syncopated rhythms over the top. He also has a variety of beats ...something not found in much death metal stuff.

I wish my teacher was famous :(
He's still ****ing awesome though.

And if you think Joey's got some syncopated stuff over his double pedalling, check out Martin Lopez from Opeth. Not that Joey's bad, it's just that Martin is amazing

cliffisanarcissist
04-19-2006, 07:01 PM
HELLA is sacramento instrumental band with only a guitarist, Spencer, and a Drummer, Zack. If you are a drummer you should definitely check out his work, he is insanely original. Go here http://hellaband.com/media/disco/index.html and listen to the republic of the rough and the ready.

Sleeper
04-19-2006, 07:43 PM
I can't believe i forgot to mention Hella, Zach Hill is one of my favorite drummers by far.

Time
04-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Steely dan. lots of versatile drumming in their songs.

Drummer_On_Fire
04-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Me thinks that we should be listenin' to a little Thousand Foot Krutch! :p The drummer in the band is very respectful in that when he plays, he gets the job done and does it well. He is connected to the bass and adds "shots" (I am using this term very loosely) to where he wants to emphazize the note.

cybersprint
04-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Bruce Springsteens early stuff, E street shuffle, greeting from Asbury park NJ..

Great drummer on his first album (asbury), cant remember his name...
E street bands drummer is of course Max Weinberg from Conan. He is also good but I prefer the other one he had previously..

Drastike drummer
04-24-2006, 05:22 PM
shut the **** up:rolleyes:

fishbulb
04-25-2006, 04:53 PM

The shrink and grow.

Broly238
04-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Just about anything Jon Theodore does from the Mars Volta. If you really listen to his playing, his beats are amazing, they are always different from the normal he plays the snare at the most impossible sounding times and hes just really clean sounding...

Couple songs to listen to from Mars Volta:
-Eriatarka
-Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus
And a not so well known one...
-A plague apon your hissing

If you just watch him play, you can see how he does it. its really hard to replicate his playing. Its been my biggest drumming influence.

Zildjian
04-27-2006, 01:41 PM
6:00 Dream Theater...Took me awile to learn it...But man is it sweet to play

fishbulb
04-27-2006, 04:43 PM
i've been meaning to give 6:00 a shot. How did you guys learn it? I really hate learning songs by tabs. Even sheet music is annoying, learning it by ear is the best.

Zildjian
04-29-2006, 09:04 PM
i've been meaning to give 6:00 a shot. How did you guys learn it? I really hate learning songs by tabs. Even sheet music is annoying, learning it by ear is the best.

that song took me a good 2 weeks to master, its so crazy..I learned it by ear, its the easiest way to do it

not fishbulb
04-29-2006, 09:06 PM
I printed out the tab just to help me on the intro, i think i got that after 5 minutes while my bandmates were setting up.

ofDooM
04-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Lamb of God:
All

Behemoth:
Ceremony Of Shiva
The Alchemist Dream
Towards Babylon

jiashen
04-30-2006, 06:00 AM
The shrink and grow.
I thought shrink and grow was in Fatal Tragedy.

EdBanger
04-30-2006, 08:14 AM
Behemoth is insane.

not fishbulb
04-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I thought shrink and grow was in Fatal Tragedy.

Nope, dance of eternity. Download/buy liquid drum theater. He counts it with you. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1838836644464645575&q=portnoy&pl=true That's a clip of it, but it doesn't get to that part. Maybe i'll try to upload that section.

Grumma
05-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Someone is bound to have mentioned it but:

ticks and leeches.

Hard pressed to find a more difficult song than that

TTTSNB
05-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Nile- Sarcophagus. Lots of sweet modulation between 16th note triplets, 16ths, and 32nds, sweet double kick and double ride (not just constant), and some nice fills that require stickings other than just singles.

RoaRing_Roach
05-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Wait... I dont believe 13/15 or 11/13 exists... considering theres no such thing as 15th notes, or 13th notes.
I think you are wrong.
I think there 5ths,7ths,9ths,11ths...till 20ths.
am I correct?
(I have a book in greek.dont know how i could translate them)

a tune for tonny-vinnie and gregg. what a feel!!!

RoaRing_Roach
05-10-2006, 10:15 AM
omg! you are me...

raz0r
05-10-2006, 12:34 PM
I think you are wrong.
I think there 5ths,7ths,9ths,11ths...till 20ths.
am I correct?
(I have a book in greek.dont know how i could translate them)

a tune for tonny-vinnie and gregg. what a feel!!!

No.

Peechka Beats
05-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Death- Overactive Imagination

Death- Mentally Blind