PDA

View Full Version : Mike Patton's bands

Magicaltroll
08-24-2005, 10:58 AM
What would be the best band to check into that Mike Patton is in? This is kind of a favorties thread, but I think others should know as well as me, I mean come on, it's Mike Patton ;) Also, we can talk about Mike Pattons work.

I've heard of Tomahawk, Faith No More, Fantomas, and Mr. Bungle. Anymore? And I've also heard the Dillinger Escape Plan EP he did, amazing.

I'm looking for more lyrics like in When Good Dogs Do Bad Things, I'm really into weird lyrics like that.

And if this is too much of a problem mods can close it.

Other than the band thing, again, feel free to talk about him.

3rdplanet
08-24-2005, 11:03 AM
I can only think of Lovage which you say you haven't heard already, trip-hop group, I really like them but others don't rate them that high.

Faith No More is still my favorite out-fit he has been involved with.

Reywas
08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Mr.Bungle's California and FNM's King For A Day.

Kurtz
08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
I'd say Mr. Bungle.

To me, California was the best album he's ever been involved in. Irony is a Dead Scene comes close though.

Magicaltroll
08-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Irony Is A dead Scene was amazing for me...
It's a shame he didn't stay with them.

Looks like I'll be checking out Mr. Bungle and Lovage

Stormrider
08-24-2005, 11:11 AM
theres one song i now from him....its a song called Pig Latin...he dos this song with Lamb Of God....its a realy kool song!!!

Permanent Solution
08-24-2005, 11:11 AM
I've only heard FNM...but I have to say, I find him to be overrated :-\

Iron Bars
08-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Fantomas for me. Took me awile but Suspended animation is one of my favorite albums of this year up to now.

Reywas
08-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Irony Is A dead Scene was amazing for me...
It's a shame he didn't stay with them.

Looks like I'll be checking out Mr. Bungle and Lovage

Lovage kicks ***.Good choise.Sexy trip hop :thumb:

Rothmans
08-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Fantomas are my favourite at the moment I like there stuff alot.

He done the stuff wit the Executioners its a hip hop album and really good.

He has a solo outift which is really "pop" music and is brillinat aswell.

You know all the other ones.

There are a few others but havnt seen the light of day yet.

Also here is a site with a lot of stuff to do with Mike Patton:

http://www.etl.hu/~csego/patton/

It pretty much tells you all the stuff he has been apart of.

Blizzink
08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
I picked up Suspended Animation (the special edition one) yesterday and am loving it. The Director's Cut is also great. I can't wait until I get the other albums.

I want to try out Mr. Bungle but haven't had the chance yet, and for FNM I think I may just pick up a GH album.

3rdplanet
08-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Oh and there is the album he put out with Kaada - Romances

Kurtz
08-24-2005, 11:52 AM
I've only heard FNM...but I have to say, I find him to be overrated :-\
Go figure, FNM by far isn't his best stuff.

Prince of Darkness
08-24-2005, 12:36 PM
IMO, Mr Bungle is his best band and California is one of my favorite albums.

I have some Fantomas and Tomahawk but haven't really listened to it yet.

ohtehnoaz2
09-02-2005, 07:24 PM
[poierqw[

Dude3
09-02-2005, 07:26 PM
theres one song i now from him....its a song called Pig Latin...he dos this song with Lamb Of God....its a realy kool song!!!
Tell me more!

Daven
09-02-2005, 07:48 PM
From the bands where he used to be, Fantomas is my favorite. He did a great job with them.

Kaden
09-02-2005, 08:00 PM
It's not Lamb of God, it's Dillinger Escape Plan

Txus
09-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Mr. Bungle is his best IMO followed closely by Fantomas.

Magicaltroll
09-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Just heard Mr Bungle "Vanity Fair".
I heard Mr Bungle was different, but wow.

Bartender
09-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Still one of their best, I think.

the2stranger
09-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Mike is the man.
Fantomas rock ( i have the first print of Suspended animation)
Mr Bungle is cool too, California is such a great album

Neurotoxin
09-03-2005, 08:45 AM
I really want to get that album, everything I have from it is fantastic. Patton's voice is fantastic.

I have it on my computer at home. Right now I'm at the library though, so I'm unable to upload it. I'll be back Sunday night/Monday morning. If you still need it, add me to AIM:

dynamolic

Reywas
09-03-2005, 08:51 AM
dep ?

Bartender
09-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Dillinger Escape Plan.

Med, what happened to your post count?

deejuks2
09-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Mr. Bungle, no doubt. California is up there with my favorite albums of all time. Fantomas is on of my fav's too, but imo, Bungle was his best.

Dried Muffin Remnants
09-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Lovage is cool, but his best band is definitely Mr Bungle. California was brilliantly produced and is all around one of the best albums I've ever listened to. It has so much depth in that every song on it has potential to be a favorite.

BassCozzy
09-12-2005, 08:21 PM
gotta love mr bungles goodbye sober day

The Flabbit Rides High
09-13-2005, 02:39 AM
What about Tomahawk people? I personally believe this is also one of his best bands next to Mr. Bungle and Fantomas.

Has anyone heard the songs North 101 or Sir Yes Sir? They are great representations of what they are capable of.

br3ad_man
09-13-2005, 03:20 AM
I like Tomahawk probably the best. I personally think "Captain Midnight" is the best song Patton has ever done. And that's a really hard title to earn.

munky_magik
09-13-2005, 04:22 AM
Calirfornia is his best work by far, I think. And also one of my favourite albums of all time.

You should also check out his work with The Executioners - general patton's vs the executioners which is really quite good as well. He also did some interesting stuff with Rahzel which you cold check out, though I don't know if you'd like it or not.

munky_magik
09-13-2005, 04:29 AM
I think The Air-Conditioned Nightmare is currently topping my list of Patton songs.

willobassman
09-13-2005, 05:00 AM
I love tomahawk the most.

Its just ingenious some of the stuff they do.

But I do like Bungle aswell.

Favourite songs - Flashback, When The Stars Begin To Fall, Laredo, Josckstrap (Tomahawk), Egg, Slowly Growing Deaf, Stubb A Dub (Mr Bungle), Stripsearch, She Loves Me Not (Faith No More).

Bartender
09-13-2005, 05:13 AM
What about Tomahawk people? I personally believe this is also one of his best bands next to Mr. Bungle and Fantomas.

Has anyone heard the songs North 101 or Sir Yes Sir? They are great representations of what they are capable of.

Sir Yes Sir is one of the few (three, I think) Tomahawk songs I know. It's very good. I need to get their albums, though.

Neurotoxin
09-13-2005, 05:27 AM
"Captain Midnight" is my favourite Tomahawk track as well.

Happymeal
09-13-2005, 05:31 AM
Does anyone know what happened to his collab with Dan the Automator, Peeping Tom?

Bartender
09-13-2005, 05:37 AM
I made a thread in Other asking about that a while ago, and Zappa told me to "forget it", which I think meant it collapsed, or has been called off.

Though the reason I made the thread in the first place was because I'd read a rumour somewhere that it might eventually surface within the coming year. So, I'm confused.

Prince of Darkness
09-13-2005, 05:45 AM
My favorite Patton band would have to be Mr. Bungle. Next to that, Tomahawk and maybe FAntomas, but they are pushing the boundries of crazyness. FNM, IMO, is his worst. They have a few good songs, but after that,they did nothing for me.

sakic73
09-18-2005, 06:31 PM
I agree with what everyone has said about Tomahawk. It's good to hear some comments on them as I think they are quite underrated compared with his other stuff, especially Bungle and Fantomas.

SSSnake...
09-21-2005, 09:45 PM
First time I heard Mr Bungle, I thought it was a complete joke. Now I love them. It's funny how your tastes can change so drastically like that over time

He's done a few other projects which haven't been mentioned yet. Off the top of my head, there's Patton & Rahzel.

'The themes for adult voices' (sp?)

and Maldoror w/ the ****ing legendary Masami Akita, aka - Merzbow

Me and some mates went to the Roskilde Festival in Denmark back in June and saw Patton play in Fantomas, Patton and Rahzel, Patton and Kaada, and Maldoror. He's such a twisted genius and composer. The man is not human!

HazMan
09-23-2005, 08:33 AM
I started out with FNM, then moved on to a bit of Bungle. I thought this was a necessary progression into the insanity of Fantomas, and much of his other work. I'm a huge Patton fan, all i can say is get what ya can and give it time to gel lol.

Bartender
09-23-2005, 12:56 PM
'The themes for adult voices' (sp?)

Adult Themes For Voice and Pranzo Oltranzista are his two solo albums.

kieranmark
09-23-2005, 02:17 PM
I think The Air-Conditioned Nightmare is currently topping my list of Patton songs.

Ditto!

PinkFreud
09-23-2005, 02:21 PM
i like tomahawk the best, mr bungle second.

though retrovertigo is probably my favorite patton song right now.

Pete
09-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I like Dillinger Escape Plan the most, though Fantomas were awesome when I saw them live.

Bartender
09-23-2005, 03:05 PM
I'd like to see Fantomas live. I don't think I'm all that likely to get the chance, though.

SSSnake...
09-25-2005, 08:36 AM
It's an experience that's for sure. Although I wanna catch them again with Lombardo this time on drums. He was touring with Slayer when I saw Fantomas, so they had Frank Zappa's old drummer. Quite bizarre really. If you're familiar with Lombardo's drum set up, you can imagine how crazy it was to see that dude play with a kit twice as many drums. He was literally surrounded by an 8 foot circle wall of drums. Nobody could see him. :lol:

PinkFreud
09-25-2005, 03:30 PM
terry bozzio, hes an amazing player. hes played with everyone too. crazy talented.

The Flabbit Rides High
09-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Tomahawk have some catchy songs. They kinda posess the crazyness of Fantomas, but retain that mysterious, even creepy atmosphere that makes you feel uneven, unsure...weird...but i like. :)

Pete
09-25-2005, 04:27 PM
It's an experience that's for sure. Although I wanna catch them again with Lombardo this time on drums. He was touring with Slayer when I saw Fantomas, so they had Frank Zappa's old drummer. Quite bizarre really. If you're familiar with Lombardo's drum set up, you can imagine how crazy it was to see that dude play with a kit twice as many drums. He was literally surrounded by an 8 foot circle wall of drums. Nobody could see him. :lol:
Yeah, and he had to read sheet music while playing, because of the crazy things he had to play. Whoa.

Melvins_Army
10-01-2005, 08:39 AM
all of the band he has been in are good. Mr Bungle and Fantomas are the greatest bands on earth.....WORD!.

Dried Muffin Remnants
10-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Mr. Bungle > all the rest of Patton's work

California is even better than the S/T, too.

janyeno
10-01-2005, 08:56 AM
I like some bungle and faith no more... a drummer I know is waaay more into patton than I am though...

BradyEB
10-01-2005, 05:18 PM
I've been getting into Mike Patton quite a bit lately actually. I've owned Mr Bungle ST and Epic by Faith No More for quite a while and only until last week ive started giving them some serious attention. Since then I got the other two Mr Bungle releases, Fantomas Suspended animation and the ep he did with DEP. I really need to give them all a good listen (I've been loading up with albums lately)
I'm curious what are your guys fav Fantomas and Faith No More album?
Is Tomahawk worth a listen? What kind of genre?

Bartender
10-01-2005, 05:22 PM
My favourite FNM album would be Angel Dust, with King For a Day, Fool For a Lifetime a close second. Favourite Fantomas album is the self-titled/Amenaza Al Mundo, without doubt.

Tomahawk can be, vaguely, called a hard rock band. It's somewhat 'weird' and a little disturbed in it's own right, but it's a lot more approachable than, for example, Fantomas.

issues
10-01-2005, 08:50 PM
i love california, but i like the self title better for bungle.
the directors cut is my second favourite fantomas album, behind the fantomas melvins millennium monsterwork has to be the best IMO
has anyone else heard the birthday jam he did with john zorn for his 50th?? it is one of the most insane live albums ever.

PinkFreud
10-01-2005, 09:16 PM
no, but ive wanted to for a very long time.

issues
10-01-2005, 09:50 PM
i would up it except for 2 things, the rule banning uploads, and not having it again untill tuesday

Bartender
10-02-2005, 04:28 AM
The rule against uploads only applies to actually posting the link on MX. There's nothing to stop you, for example, emailing the link to someone who wants it.

Epicurus
10-02-2005, 05:46 AM
I've never heard of him...I will look into him now though

IAJP
10-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Mr. Bungle's California = Word.

trunks_punk
10-02-2005, 05:50 AM
Wanna real freak out from mike?

Try and find one of his solo songs called "inconsolable widow searching for distraction". full on stuff.

The Flabbit Rides High
10-02-2005, 06:20 AM
I've never heard of him...I will look into him now though

If you want I could make you a sampler, and email you the link?

Let me know. :)

Rothmans
10-02-2005, 06:27 AM
I dont know if anyone has heard his stuff with his peeping tom project?

Its pretty good my favourite is track 2, its pretty good music but for some reason it just seems a bit bland for mike patton like you could of expected this music from him :/

PinkFreud
10-02-2005, 12:10 PM
i would up it except for 2 things, the rule banning uploads, and not having it again untill tuesday
yeah, like bartender said, you could email the link to me.

pinkfreud2100@aol.com

if youre looking for anything, hit me up on aim.

pinkfreud05

rothmans, where did you find his peeping tom stuff?

Rothmans
10-02-2005, 02:18 PM
yeah, like bartender said, you could email the link to me.

pinkfreud2100@aol.com

if youre looking for anything, hit me up on aim.

pinkfreud05

rothmans, where did you find his peeping tom stuff?

Soulseek if you want I can send it to you through there.

I think a few people have it on here.

There is another band called peeping tom who is stoner metal or something. That would of been a cool variation of Mike patton.

PinkFreud
10-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Soulseek if you want I can send it to you through there.

I think a few people have it on here.

There is another band called peeping tom who is stoner metal or something. That would of been a cool variation of Mike patton.
i'll try. im ****ty with soulseek though. whats your name?

Rothmans
10-02-2005, 02:24 PM
I can give it to you through AIM?

PinkFreud
10-02-2005, 02:25 PM
haha ok.

PinkFreud
10-02-2005, 04:20 PM
peeping tom is with patton on all instruments and singing. i was getting it from rothmans but he signed off...

sadface

Bartender
10-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Just out of interest is there anythign wrong with doing a screenshot of the link and then uploading it to tinypic or something and posting it? I've seen people do it in other forums on mx, and I was wondering if that's banned...

I don't think so. There might be..but at the very least you can claim to have been confused by the introduction of the new rules, if anyone calls you out on it.

I didn't know the Peeping Tom project was available at all :-/ It was something Patton was supposedly working on for several years, never quite setting a release date but hinting that it would be out soon (his Chinese Democracy, if you will). It was supposed to be much more accessible, or poppier, than anything he'd done since FNM or California, I think (Fantomas, Tomahawk, his solo stuff, etc).

I heard it had just been binned, in the end.

PinkFreud
10-02-2005, 05:51 PM
rothmans said he got it off of soulseek. he said a few people had it. i thought it was shelved indefinitely too.

Chu
10-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Sorry for bomping this old thread :p

But I've been hearing a lot about Mike Patton recently, so just wondering what you guys think is his best album.

I see everyone loves California by Mr Bungle, so I will look into that.
But I'm more looking for a Faith No More album...

The Flabbit Rides High
10-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Sorry for bomping this old thread :p

But I've been hearing a lot about Mike Patton recently, so just wondering what you guys think is his best album.

I see everyone loves California by Mr Bungle, so I will look into that.
But I'm more looking for a Faith No More album...

Get Angel Dust for FNM.

For Tomahawk get the self-titled first then Mit Gas.

Also, if you you like Acid Jazz type stuff you could check out Lovage. Thats some nice music right there. :thumb:

deejuks2
10-13-2005, 10:33 AM
I've jsut recently played Kaada/Patton Romances; beautiful.

Dried Muffin Remnants
10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
California was brilliance.

deejuks2
11-23-2005, 05:45 PM
I don't think so. There might be..but at the very least you can claim to have been confused by the introduction of the new rules, if anyone calls you out on it.

I didn't know the Peeping Tom project was available at all :-/ It was something Patton was supposedly working on for several years, never quite setting a release date but hinting that it would be out soon (his Chinese Democracy, if you will). It was supposed to be much more accessible, or poppier, than anything he'd done since FNM or California, I think (Fantomas, Tomahawk, his solo stuff, etc).

I heard it had just been binned, in the end.

It's not shelved, from what I've read in recent interviews he's got 3 albums worth of demos (wich is what everyones been picking up on slsk). IMO, he's looking for a more accesible label to release it on.

PinkFreud
11-23-2005, 05:48 PM
it's not really exciting. i'm undecided on it. on one hand, it's patton. on the other hand, it has nothing that sets it apart from anything else. it doesnt live up to his standards. maybe i just need to listen to it more.

Bartender
11-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Or to wait for the actual release of the album. Judging on demos never seems to do no one no good no how.

/listening to blues

PinkFreud
11-23-2005, 05:52 PM
that's very true. i hope its released somewhat soon then.

/likes blues a lot.

deejuks2
11-23-2005, 05:57 PM
it's not really exciting. i'm undecided on it. on one hand, it's patton. on the other hand, it has nothing that sets it apart from anything else. it doesnt live up to his standards. maybe i just need to listen to it more.

all the demos is just him by himself making very basic outlines of the track. He's still got a TON of dudes and dudettes coming in to add crap to it, and one of those dudes is DALE CROVER. This has GOT to be good....... i hope.

deejuks2
12-08-2005, 08:47 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/carolinebittencourt/Fantomas_brasil/DSC_0139-copy.jpg

Tyler
12-09-2005, 12:18 AM
I can't wait for Peeping Tom. It's still (supposedly) coming out, and I hear it's going to be almost a classical pop album; I just dont know what that means, or where I heard it. Either way, I'm a huge fan of Patton's originality, and his really amazing voice, so I'm stoked for anything he has coming out. Oh, dont think you know what it's going to sound like by leaked demo's, they were unfinished. Oh, and he only played all the instruments for the demo, he did this for the Fantomas demos too.

PIGS(1 different one)
01-17-2006, 07:27 AM
I've just been getting into Patton a lot more recently. I have had Angel Dust for about 5 years now but I've decided to find more of his stuff.

I think Mr. Bungle- California is the best album he has done with any band with Fantomas- The Directors Cut in a close second.

Bartender
01-17-2006, 07:46 AM
I've not been able to get into The Director's Cut much, really.

HazMan
01-17-2006, 10:03 AM
I've not been able to get into The Director's Cut much, really.

'Rosemary's Baby' is harrowing.

HazMan
01-17-2006, 10:04 AM
I think Mr. Bungle- California is the best album he has done with any band

I think California is the best album done by ANY band. I love it that much.

DanD
01-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Mr. Bungle's self titled was a fun, quirky, off the wall album. It's a great listen if you're in the mood, but the songs can get real old after a while.
Disco Volante was a harder listen. A lot of noise, and just not enough music. A real put off for a lot of people. Just too wierd.
California, a very definitive album for the genre. It has the perfect mix of quirkiness and crazyness, but yet is still very musical and easily listenable. It is an amazing album, and a great one to end their carrer on. My favorite from Mr. Bungle.

Bartender
01-17-2006, 06:54 PM
What genre?

'Rosemary's Baby' is harrowing.

The album's not bad. I just don't like it all that much.

Laredo
01-17-2006, 07:04 PM
i dont know if its been mentioned but he also made a song with sepultura.

and although a lot of people don't feel this way, disco volante is my favourite mr bungle cd. first cd was okay but it got old for me. i don't know why but i could never get into all the songs on california... like i mean its still a great cd but i dunno, he even leans towards a beach boys sound on it.

Bartender
01-17-2006, 07:09 PM
But that's a good thing.

Tyler
01-17-2006, 07:16 PM
The production on California is un-freaking-believable.

Moses
01-17-2006, 07:36 PM
I have the self-titled album. Would anyone like to send me California?

letmypeopleho69atyahoo.com

King B
01-17-2006, 09:56 PM
these are my favorites for each band

faith no more- the real thing

tomahawk- mit gas

fantomas- delirium cordia

Mr. Bungle- Mr. bungle

Mike Patton- adult themes for voice

Kadda/Patton -romances

Maldoror- she

Lovage- music to make love to

I also liked the DEP ep, and that song he did with sepultura was pretty sweet.

King B
01-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Oh yeah, that fantomas/melvins cd was freakin sweet.
millenium monsterworks, right?

Bartender
01-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Right.

HazMan
01-18-2006, 08:21 AM
The album's not bad. I just don't like it all that much.

Ah well i dun think the album was truly amazing either actually. I was just talking up that song.

what have they done, with it eyes?????? <<<< creepiest moment ever

HazMan
01-18-2006, 08:25 AM
and although a lot of people don't feel this way, disco volante is my favourite mr bungle cd. first cd was okay but it got old for me. i don't know why but i could never get into all the songs on california... like i mean its still a great cd but i dunno, he even leans towards a beach boys sound on it.

I got Disco Volante and California at the same time, and out of the two Disco Volante was my favourite, so random and fun and i wouldn't touch California it just didn't work on any level for me. Many listens later through gritted teeth i realise just what an accomplished work it is. I find that's the way i've come to enjoy most of Mike's work, forced listening that later blossoms.

PinkFreud
02-10-2006, 11:35 AM
man, i am so excited for this. isnt it supposed to be released at the end of may or something?

Bartender
02-10-2006, 11:47 AM
A trilogy, eh.

The list of collaborators is different to anything I'd have expected, but I'll be happy just to hear it finally regardless.

deejuks2
02-10-2006, 07:15 PM
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436192

omgwtfboogie
02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
I have something to look forward to other than the next Tool album.

I have some of the demos, and Mike Patton still proves himself to be the most versatile vocalist in music today. End of story.

Bartender
02-11-2006, 06:47 AM
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436192

There's nothing about a trilogy there, though.

omgwtfboogie
02-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Apparently he's working on the next Tomahawk as well as another Eyvind Kang collaboration. Sweet.

omgwtfboogie
02-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Based on what I've read, those demos aren't what'll show up on the album.
No, those were the sketches. They don't include the collaborations.

DanD
02-11-2006, 11:20 AM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1523855/20060207/jones_norah.jhtml?headlines=true

A little more info on Peeping Tom, as well as some of his other future projects.