PDA

View Full Version : Joe Satriani

Pages : [1] 2

classicrockman
08-21-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm gonna make this thread for Joe Satriani posts. I'm a huge fan of Joe and I saw him live at G3. He's a truly amazing guitarist.

So any Satch info, critisizm, comments, thoughts, whatever...please post here.

PS: If you got nothing to say but something stupid like: "Satriani sux!!!! Vai's pwns Joe times 1000!!!" Please keep it out of this forum. :thumb:

repcak
08-21-2005, 02:51 PM
i saw him last year on g3. but meanwhile i stopped listen to shred-music. i don't like it anymore. though he wrote some really good songs.

classicrockman
08-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Did you hear his newer album 'Is There Love In Space?'

It's pretty good.

Triangle
08-21-2005, 02:54 PM
I like Joe, mainly because he writes awesome songs without having to go back to pointless wankage.

classicrockman
08-21-2005, 02:56 PM
I like Joe, mainly because he writes awesome songs without having to go back to pointless wankage.
Yeah. I like Vai, Malmsteen, and Eric Johnson, but with Satch, it's like he uses different styles on every album that he's made.

repcak
08-21-2005, 02:57 PM

It's pretty good.

i never bought an album from him. i downloaded only a few songs, some fans recommended.

Broken Angels
08-21-2005, 02:59 PM

It's pretty good.
I don't think that Satch can really be classed as shred, when shred contains things such as Malmsteen and Friedman.

I thought that Is There Love In Space? sounded pretty tired. There were only a few really good tracks, If I could Fly being the most notable.

Overall I like Satch. I just wish he would experiment a bit more with his music because he is starting to get a bit stale. I wouldn't mind another Engines of Creation

classicrockman
08-21-2005, 03:00 PM
i never bought an album from him. i downloaded only a few songs, some fans recommended.
If you care to download some other songs I'd download:

1) The Extremist
2) Crystal Planet

Those are my favorites. :)

YouGottaBeCrazy
08-21-2005, 03:32 PM

It's pretty good.

The title track is great.

08-21-2005, 03:45 PM
I love watching Joe, but I cannot listen to him for fun. I have a hard time listening to virtuosos just for the sake of listening, unless the name is Jason Becker.

He's an incredible guitarist and writer, though.

Dark_Cloud
08-21-2005, 03:49 PM
I love his songs and his really a virtuoso.

trev913
08-21-2005, 03:50 PM
I saw Satch on his solo tour this past year. It was freaking amazing. Especially hearing Always With Me Always With You for the encore... :) x 1000. Not to mention the fact that I was in the ... pit, so to speak.

PyRoMaNiA674
08-21-2005, 04:22 PM
I just bought the G3 Live in Denver about a week ago and its great... I basically watch it everyday... He is a great songwriter and guitar player...

3rdplanet
08-21-2005, 04:37 PM
I have Surfing with the Alien, that's the album with the Silver Surfer on the front right?. Well I picked it up because it was going cheap, didn't really enjoy it, though there was a track I think I really enjoyed on it. May rout it out again and give it a spin.

Have a video of him playing a track as well which is pretty bad ***.

black.hole.sun
08-21-2005, 04:41 PM

It's pretty good.
That song, not the album is sooo awesome. But he bores me otherwise.

snorfledumpkins
08-21-2005, 04:46 PM
I have Is there love in space, it's the only album i have by him, i think it's really good considering it's the first i've ever heard of him. But satch boogie owns all.

rhcp pman
08-21-2005, 10:36 PM
I love Satriani's music. One of the few virtuosos who remembers that there's actually someone else who is going to listen to their music - it's not fret wankery like Malmsteen. Fav tracks are Surfing With the Alien, Satch Boogie, Sleep Walk and Chords of Life.

Cain
08-21-2005, 10:56 PM
I don't think that Satch can really be classed as shred, when shred contains things such as Malmsteen and Friedman.

I thought that Is There Love In Space? sounded pretty tired. There were only a few really good tracks, If I could Fly being the most notable.

Overall I like Satch. I just wish he would experiment a bit more with his music because he is starting to get a bit stale. I wouldn't mind another Engines of Creation

Truth. Satch's Peavey XXX tone sucks compared to the stuff he had on Crystal Planet, as well. He should go all-out Jeff Beck style and incorporate techno even more, get his songs played at some dances and clubs. I would dance to Satriani over stupid hip-hop any day.

If I hear another stupid I-IV-V blues jam on his albums I'm gonna barf. Seriously, Satch is not a bluesman, and he's not a classic rock musician, but that's the vibe he's been trying for on the last few albums. He used to be the "alien" spacey, futuristic dude of the guitar world, but he's rapidly beginning to cash in on nostalgiac sounds to gain "rock" cred. In my opinion, "Engines of Creation" was a fantastic step, and if he could incorporate the ultra-melodic metally stuff with the techno instruments, he could really have something. "The Power Cosmic Part I" in particular should have been a sign of things to come, but now his tones and his playing are so limp-kneed.

FockerTheLopper
08-21-2005, 11:10 PM
If u like gilbert listen to Impellitteri, yeah, nothing relavant but he is so awsome(impellitteri) o yea, satch is alright! I'm more of a fan of petrucci's playing though, but Satch is alot more musical, also an amazing player

YouGottaBeCrazy
08-22-2005, 12:02 AM
If u like gilbert listen to Impellitteri, yeah, nothing relavant but he is so awsome(impellitteri) o yea, satch is alright! I'm more of a fan of petrucci's playing though, but Satch is alot more musical, also an amazing player

What do you mean by "Satch is alot more musical?"

godinplayer
08-22-2005, 12:08 AM
i saw a G3 dvd with him, vai, and eric johnson and he was my fav. I like flying in a blue dream

clairvoyant
08-22-2005, 12:19 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Marty Friedman is mislabeled as a shredder? Sure, with Cacophony and his first solo album he did a bunch of shred, but after that he never really did any shredding. His work with Megadeth definitely wasn't really shredding, just sweet stuff, and his solo stuff after that was NOWHERE near shred.

But back to Joe Satriani, I liked his work up until Crystal Planet, after that it seemed to start getting stale. But songs like Surfing With The Alien, Echo, The Extremist, and Crystal Planet all rock.

AIC/EAZY-E
08-22-2005, 12:22 AM
I really like the tracks The Crush of Love, Always With Me, Always With You, Mind Storm, Midnight, Day At The Beach, Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing and Tears in the Rain. His self-titled I don't really dig. And his vocal tracks are rather meh eg. I Believe.

MAthiAS
08-22-2005, 12:24 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Marty Friedman is mislabeled as a shredder? Sure, with Cacophony and his first solo album he did a bunch of shred, but after that he never really did any shredding. His work with Megadeth definitely wasn't really shredding, just sweet stuff, and his solo stuff after that was NOWHERE near shred.

His Deth stuff bordered on shred, and he is capable of shredding with the best of them, so he gets in.

Satch is great, yeah.

munky_magik
08-22-2005, 04:08 AM
What do you mean by "Satch is alot more musical?"
I think he means that more often than not Satch will concentrate on the melody off the song itself, rather than impressive guitar trickery. He usually writes from the point of view of what's good for the song.

Truth. Satch's Peavey XXX tone sucks compared to the stuff he had on Crystal Planet, as well. He should go all-out Jeff Beck style and incorporate techno even more, get his songs played at some dances and clubs. I would dance to Satriani over stupid hip-hop any day.

If I hear another stupid I-IV-V blues jam on his albums I'm gonna barf. Seriously, Satch is not a bluesman, and he's not a classic rock musician, but that's the vibe he's been trying for on the last few albums. He used to be the "alien" spacey, futuristic dude of the guitar world, but he's rapidly beginning to cash in on nostalgiac sounds to gain "rock" cred. In my opinion, "Engines of Creation" was a fantastic step, and if he could incorporate the ultra-melodic metally stuff with the techno instruments, he could really have something. "The Power Cosmic Part I" in particular should have been a sign of things to come, but now his tones and his playing are so limp-kneed.
/truth

If he doesn't try something new and fresh on his next release I am going to be comletely dissapointed.

Chris K
08-22-2005, 04:50 AM
I met him and Steve Vai, both really cool, G3 was amazing.

led enema
08-22-2005, 06:19 AM
ive heard a couple tracks but not enough to say im a real fan, though he is an amazing guitaris, if anybody could point me in the direction of tracks that i should download

edit:by download, i mean legally of couse, i felt the need to edit because if i dont, im guessing within 5 minutes the cia will brake down my front door and fine me a bagillion dollars

metalhead_matt
08-22-2005, 06:37 AM
"Satriani sux!!!! Vai's pwns Joe times 1000!!!" Please keep it out of this forum. :thumb:

didnt satch teach vai anyway? :lol:

classicrockman
08-22-2005, 08:01 PM
I have the G3: Live in Denver dvd and I say this....it's a must have video for anyone who's a fan of shred. :thumb:

BludgeonySteve
08-22-2005, 08:15 PM
He's a great guitarist. I have Surfing With The Alien, I really can't listen to pure guitar for very long, though. It gets boring.

classicrockman
08-23-2005, 06:37 PM
The Extremist is one of my favorite albums by Joe.

Metallifan85
08-23-2005, 07:41 PM
I love the whole new album, it fits my tastes exactly for when I'm in a non-vocal mood. I've listened to it so many times, more than many other things I have, and it hasn't even been out long. I had a few of his other albums before, but they didn't click with me in the same way.

MRDuCran
08-23-2005, 07:52 PM
I adore Crushing Day, The Forgotten both parts, The Summer Song (used to play it live with a band), Belly Dancer, Chords of Life, Ceremony, Day at the Beach, Lights of Heaven, Echo, Midnight...man, i love that guy.

Daven
08-23-2005, 07:55 PM

Yeah, he taught him.

whatduffhuck7
08-23-2005, 09:24 PM
good idea of making a satch thread, although it will die in a matter of days.

i respect satch so much its unbearable. he's a amazing guitarist. i know i real hard to judge the best guitarist, but i think joe is up there. i wish he would join a band though. get some descent vocals in there with his amazing guitar playing. it would be cool if he took the offer to join deep purple

classicrockman
08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
good idea of making a satch thread, although it will die in a matter of days.

i respect satch so much its unbearable. he's a amazing guitarist. i know i real hard to judge the best guitarist, but i think joe is up there. i wish he would join a band though. get some descent vocals in there with his amazing guitar playing. it would be cool if he took the offer to join deep purple
Thanks for saying it was a good idea for making a Satch thread. :)

I agree with you that it won't last very long. There on way to many "METALLICA AND SLPIKNOT RULE!!!!!!!" fans of R&M.

It'd be cool if Satch joined Deep Purple even though I never really got into Purple after Ritchie Blackmore left (the second time).

munky_magik
08-24-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't know if Satch would really suit playing in Deep Purple. He could certainly make it sound good, but it would really be a waste.

classicrockman
08-24-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't know if Satch would really suit playing in Deep Purple. He could certainly make it sound good, but it would really be a waste.
Satriani should probably just do his own thing.

Deep Purple should just retire, unless Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord come back to reunite. :thumb:

metalhead_matt
08-24-2005, 03:30 PM
i want the surfing with aliens (is that right?) album, Ive got the extremist its excellent. has he done an album where he sings? that would be interesting...

Rrrrrrr
08-24-2005, 03:50 PM
I adore Crushing Day...
This song should be mentioned a lot more often.

Metallifan85
08-24-2005, 04:13 PM
i want the surfing with aliens (is that right?) album, Ive got the extremist its excellent. has he done an album where he sings? that would be interesting...

hxxp://s(REMOVE ME)48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XGZEAHYX9JAS0QV7(REMOVE ME)GEW7TD8K7

He sings in that song. Theres a few on ITLIS? he sings on too, but its not really like singing, its more...spoken.

iceland_is_mine
08-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Try the Flying In A Blue Dream album, there a a couple tracks with vocals, along with a banjo solo.

Not really his best stuff, although The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing pwns.

munky_magik
08-24-2005, 04:20 PM
He sings on 'Lifestyle' and 'I Like The Rain' on Is there Love....
He sings on a few other songs as well, though he doesn't have the best voice ever.
He also sings on the G3 covers.

rhinestone04
08-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Joe Satriani is one of the few guitarists that I can actually listen to as an instrumental. His songs are so melodic, and I hold deep respect for him as his music is truly something. I think he should stay instrumental, too, since I see no need for vocals with such amazing playing.

kidthatplaysguitar91
08-24-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm gonna make this thread for Joe Satriani posts. I'm a huge fan of Joe and I saw him live at G3. He's a truly amazing guitarist.

So any Satch info, critisizm, comments, thoughts, whatever...please post here.

PS: If you got nothing to say but something stupid like: "Satriani sux!!!! Vai's pwns Joe times 1000!!!" Please keep it out of this forum. :thumb:

vai is better at sweeping and tapping

MRDuCran
08-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Why do it?

classicrockman
08-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Try the Flying In A Blue Dream album, there a a couple tracks with vocals, along with a banjo solo.

Not really his best stuff, although The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing pwns.
I agree. Great album, great song. :thumb:

classicrockman
08-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Yes he did. I also believe Joe gave a lesson or two to Tom Morello and Kirk Hammet. I want a lesson from Joe Satriani!!! :upset:

MRDuCran
08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Tom Morello was also taught by Michael Angelo.

dest. Chaos
08-26-2005, 05:48 PM
"Searching" is a really cool song

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 09:21 AM
"Searching" is a really cool song
It's on the new G3: Live In Tokyo DVD. :thumb:

It's Satch, Vai, and John Petrruci

Distant Echoes
08-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I got a few video clips of Joe playing, some with g3 too. I think Vais better guitarist, but i like satrianis style more. Surfing with the alien is probably his best, and the song is probably my second fav instrumental (YYZ being one).

If anybodies seen him live, he has this cazy thing were he uses his left hand to whammy, and does something with his right to pull off the sickest sound for a guitar. It might be a pinch harmonic, but i couldnt get it to hit that note. I seen him do it on several different videos, but I can not figure out how the hell he does that. I can upload one if anybody wants.

Mr. Black
08-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Surfing with the Alien, Satriani is a king

Cain
08-27-2005, 02:25 PM
I got a few video clips of Joe playing, some with g3 too. I think Vais better guitarist, but i like satrianis style more. Surfing with the alien is probably his best, and the song is probably my second fav instrumental (YYZ being one).

If anybodies seen him live, he has this cazy thing were he uses his left hand to whammy, and does something with his right to pull off the sickest sound for a guitar. It might be a pinch harmonic, but i couldnt get it to hit that note. I seen him do it on several different videos, but I can not figure out how the hell he does that. I can upload one if anybody wants.

It's f*cking impossible, much easier to simply hit a G string harmonic at 2.5 fret and dive. The same effect is produced.

MRDuCran
08-27-2005, 03:03 PM
I can do it, its easy. Pinch the open G.

Cain
08-27-2005, 03:41 PM
I can do it, its easy. Pinch the open G.

Yeah, that part's easy, but fiddling around with your hands to switch around is the annoying part.

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 06:34 PM
I love that one mid-section part of "The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" with the two handed left hand thing.

I saw him do that and my face went just like this. :amaze:

MRDuCran
08-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that part's easy, but fiddling around with your hands to switch around is the annoying part.

All you do is pinch the open string as usual while putting your left hand under the neck and grabbing the bar and diving with it, at least thats what i do, seems to work fine.

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 07:55 PM
So anyway, if you could pick one guitarist to be on G3 who hasn't already been on G3, (no Johnson, Malmsteen, or Petrruci) who would it be.

If Tom Morello went into a solo career I'd bet he'd be a good virtuoso.

Joe
08-27-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm a huge satch fan. I've got The Extremist and Surfing with the Alien. They're both great albums. He's a pretty awesome guitar player, one of the few virtuosos I like. He's creative and isn't always shredding. Satch Boogie, The Extemist, Friends, and there's one other that's my fav but I forget what it's called (#4 on the Extremist)

Well you can think that, but I think he's a boring guitarist. I've honestly only heard like two of his solos that are really any good. Extremely overrated.

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm a huge satch fan. I've got The Extremist and Surfing with the Alien. They're both great albums. He's a pretty awesome guitar player, one of the few virtuosos I like. He's creative and isn't always shredding. Satch Boogie, The Extemist, Friends, and there's one other that's my fav but I forget what it's called (#4 on the Extremist)

Well you can think that, but I think he's a boring guitarist. I've honestly only heard like two of his solos that are really any good. Extremely overrated.
Hey everyone's entitled to their own opinion. :thumb:

#4 on 'The Extremist' is called "Cryin'."

thunderzstruck
08-27-2005, 08:18 PM
So anyway, if you could pick one guitarist to be on G3 who hasn't already been on G3, (no Johnson, Malmsteen, or Petrruci) who would it be.

Who's Tom Morello the guitarist for?

Joe
08-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey everyone's entitled to their own opinion. :thumb:

#4 on 'The Extremist' is called "Cryin'."

Yup.

Oh that's right, great song.

Tom Morello is with Audioslave I'm fairly sure.

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 08:21 PM
So c'mon guys, who's your missing G3 third member?

Joe
08-27-2005, 08:23 PM
So c'mon guys, who's your missing G3 third member?

Sorry, what's G3?

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Sorry, what's G3?
G3 is a worldwide guitar tour that Joe Satriani and Steve Vai host every year.

The last three years the third guitarist has been Eric Johnson, Yngwie Malmsteen, and John Petrruci. There's a different third guitarist every year.

So who would you pick besides those guys?

Joe
08-27-2005, 08:49 PM
I'd go with... It'd be pretty cool to have Kirk Hammett do it. Maybe... hm, I don't know... I can't think of anyone who hasnt/isnt:
1) been on the tour
2) currently recording
3) dead

Maybe someone like Jimmy Page would be cool, but it doesn't seem like it would be his kind of concert. I don't know.

MRDuCran
08-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Paul Gilbert would be my choice.

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Paul Gilbert would be my choice.
Good choice. How about Eddie Van Halen?

I'd love for Eddie to come out with all-out-shred solo material.

Could you imagine Joe, Steve, and Eddie playing a G3 jam song like "Keep On Rockin In The Free World" or "Red House?" That would be awesome!!!

thunderzstruck
08-27-2005, 09:39 PM
I'd go with... It'd be pretty cool to have Kirk Hammett do it. Maybe... hm, I don't know... I can't think of anyone who hasnt/isnt:
1) been on the tour
2) currently recording
3) dead

Maybe someone like Jimmy Page would be cool, but it doesn't seem like it would be his kind of concert. I don't know.

Kirk Hammett would be killed by them, it would be very embarissing for him

thunderzstruck
08-27-2005, 09:40 PM

Could you imagine Joe, Steve, and Eddie playing a G3 jam song like "Keep On Rockin In The Free World" or "Red House?" That would be awesome!!!

See above post

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 09:41 PM
See above post
You think Eddie would get schooled by Steve and Joe??

Okay, so who's your choice?

thunderzstruck
08-27-2005, 09:45 PM
You think Eddie would get schooled by Steve and Joe??

Okay, so who's your choice?

meh, Eddie improvising? I don't think so, since he knows no scales (he claims) his soloing would come out VERY bland compared to the likes of Vai and Joe.

I would probably choose Buckethead

BludgeonySteve
08-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Eddie doesn't know any scales? shiatt!!!! He's sure done well for no scales, in my opinon.

MRDuCran
08-27-2005, 09:51 PM

Im not a fan of Van Halen, never really been inspired by anthing he's done.

thunderzstruck
08-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Eddie doesn't know any scales? shiatt!!!! He's sure done well for no scales, in my opinon.

yeah, I don't really believe it, since he was classically trained on piano or something like that. But his soloing is so uninspiring. No matter if it fits the song or not it's like the same solo, whammy bar dives followed by tapping (which other artists have done way better ala Vai) and some decent speed runs. No rythmic value at all, even though he does put together some intresting rythm parts

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 09:53 PM
meh, Eddie improvising? I don't think so, since he knows no scales (he claims) his soloing would come out VERY bland compared to the likes of Vai and Joe.

I would probably choose Buckethead
Hmm...I never listened to Buckethead. But I hear him all the time get mentioned with these other great shred dudes.

Anyway, one of the reason I like Joe so much is because it looked like he was always having fun onstage. Always smiling, messing with bandmates.

There are too many "metal" bands and guitarists who think they're badass and have that stupid friggin' scowl on their face. We need more people like Joe Satriani. :upset:

thunderzstruck
08-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Hmm...I never listened to Buckethead. But I hear him all the time get mentioned with these other great shred dudes.

Anyway, one of the reason I like Joe so much is because it looked like he was always having fun onstage. Always smiling, messing with bandmates.

There are too many "metal" bands and guitarists who think they're badass and have that stupid friggin' scowl on their face. We need more people like Joe Satriani. :upset:

I totally agree with the fun thing. People should look like they're having fun onstage, it REALLY rubs off onto the audience (at least for me it does)

But that doesn't have anything to do with improvising ;)

I'll upload a Buckethead song for you, called Machete off of colma. I only got one album by him and it's the best song off the album

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 09:56 PM
I totally agree with the fun thing. People should look like they're having fun onstage, it REALLY rubs off onto the audience (at least for me it does)

But that doesn't have anything to do with improvising ;)

I'll upload a Buckethead song for you, called Machete off of colma. I only got one album by him and it's the best song off the album
Thanks for the quote and thanks for making an upload for me. :)

thunderzstruck
08-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the quote and thanks for making an upload for me. :)

...the quote? :confused:

yeah, it's cool. Always good to try to get other people exposed to new artists.

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 10:01 PM
...the quote? :confused:

yeah, it's cool. Always good to try to get other people exposed to new artists.
By the quote I mean you agreeing with me about artists smiling on stage.

So wait...how to I get to the Buckethead song??

thunderzstruck
08-27-2005, 10:03 PM
oh ok

here is the link.. tell me how it is (it's a slower song but VERY VERY solid playing)

hxxp://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2O5D0K1B0MMNH0KFAYQ4WHMD4M

MRDuCran
08-27-2005, 10:06 PM
I think the first song off that album is soo relaxing. Whitewash.

Arrakakaka
08-27-2005, 10:11 PM
My guitarist worships Satch, Buckethead, Petrucci, Vai, and Yngwie. I don't listen to shred/constant wankery music, but the man has amazing talent.

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Here's my opinion:

Starts off to slow for my taste, but right around the 1:30 point the guitar kicks in. Some really passionate playing going on. The song finishes great.

Nothing freakishly original, but I like it. :thumb: I could see him being on G3.

thunderzstruck
08-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Here's my opinion:

Starts off to slow for my taste, but right around the 1:30 point the guitar kicks in. Some really passionate playing going on. The song finishes great.

Nothing freakishly original, but I like it. :thumb: I could see him being on G3.

yeah, t I love that song

and to whoever said whitewash is awesome... why yes..yes it is :)

Steerpike
08-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Satch is one of the few guitar virtuosos I can listen to without getting bored into a coma.

As for the G3 thing, my first urge would be to say Criss Oliva, but he's dead. So are Piggy and Stevie Ray Vaughan...

Of those living, Andre Olbrich or Tom Morello would be interesting to see. Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult as well.

classicrockman
08-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Well, I'm turning off my computer.

Thanks to thunderzstruck, gocaps99, and everyone else for talking with me tonight. We'll talk more Satch tommorow. :)

thunderzstruck
08-27-2005, 10:43 PM
mhmm

btw Love thing is such a GOOD GOOD song!

clairvoyant
08-28-2005, 12:08 AM
I've determined that Surfing With The Alien has some of the best driving music ever. Come on, who couldn't speed to Crushing Day, Satch Boogie, or Surfing With The Alien?

Cain
08-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Satch is one of the few guitar virtuosos I can listen to without getting bored into a coma.

As for the G3 thing, my first urge would be to say Criss Oliva, but he's dead. So are Piggy and Stevie Ray Vaughan...

Of those living, Andre Olbrich or Tom Morello would be interesting to see. Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult as well.

They'll probably tap Andy Timmons for the next G3. That'll make a boring show. :rolleyes:

If they wanted to trip things up, they'd grab some guys off Vai's Favored Nations label: Johnny Hiland and/or Pierre Bensusan would be unbelievable counterpoint to Satch and Vai.

Steerpike
08-28-2005, 01:27 AM
(shrug) I guess I'm just biased.

Personally, I think Buck Dharma would be a great addition to G3 because of a combination of his unique sound, years of experience in rock and roll showmanship, and the fact that unlike Vai or Satch, he's actually a really good singer, too. Admit it, Joe trying to sing Keep on Rockin in the Free World was nothing to write home about.

But if you think about it, I really think it would be cool to hear Satch and Buck playing together. Satch has the not-of-this-world vibe, while Buck's style is more of a spectral dark comedy. Listen to Love Thing and then listen to I Love the Night. Now tell me that wouldn't make for an awesome show.

Joe_rocks
08-28-2005, 04:50 AM
JOE SATRIANI IS THE BESTTT!!!!!!!!!! yeah
i love "is there love in space?" its such i good album
i got G3 last week and its sooooooo cool, rcoking in the free word is an awesome jam
nice thread Btw

Devil Inferno
08-28-2005, 05:24 AM
Michael romeo would be interesting for the next G3

Jani (sonata arctica) would be great as well (better if they brought along the keyboardist)

classicrockman
08-28-2005, 11:06 AM
JOE SATRIANI IS THE BESTTT!!!!!!!!!! yeah
i love "is there love in space?" its such i good album
i got G3 last week and its sooooooo cool, rcoking in the free word is an awesome jam
nice thread Btw
Thanks man. So anyway, I was skimming through my old archives of 'Guitar One' magazine and guess what I find. A list of the "Top Ten Worst Guitar Tones." Here's the list:

1. Everthing Nu Metal
2. Jerry Garcia
3. Kirk Hammett
4. Mike Stern
5. Vernon Reid
6. Joe Satriani
7. Mick Mars
8. John McLaughlin
9. Billy Corgan
10. Randy Rhoads

This is dumb. Just because Satch and Randy Rhoads have unique guitar tones that are hard to duplicate doesn't make them bad. In fact that makes them...good. What are your opinions?

Cain
08-28-2005, 11:11 AM
I believe the article in question said "Joe Satriani's trademark 'alien tone' is nearly impossible to emulate. But when your tonal legacy is sounding like an ancestor of Charlie Brown's teacher, would you want to?"

I believe they are making reference to Satch's frequent overabuse of the wah pedal here, hence the reference to Charlie Brown.

"wawa wa...wa wa...wa wa wa."
"Yes, ma'am."

And you've gotta admit, he uses it WAY too much. It does get quite annoying.

classicrockman
08-28-2005, 11:12 AM
I believe the article in question said "Joe Satriani's trademark 'alien tone' is nearly impossible to emulate. But when your tonal legacy is sounding like an ancestor of Charlie Brown's teacher, would you want to?"

I believe they are making reference to Satch's frequent overabuse of the wah pedal here, hence the reference to Charlie Brown.

"wawa wa...wa wa...wa wa wa."
"Yes, ma'am."

And you've gotta admit, he uses it WAY too much. It does get quite annoying.
I guess at times, but it doesn't seem to bother me that much.

Whale and Wasp
08-28-2005, 11:13 AM
ive never listened to to any joe satriani stuff but i would like to......sometime....

classicrockman
08-28-2005, 11:16 AM
ive never listened to to any joe satriani stuff but i would like to......sometime....
My opinion is that if you're a fan of rock guitar, you've at least gotta listen to two or three tracks off of 'Surfing with the Alien.'

A friend of mine told me that 'Surfing with the Alien' won a Grammy. Is that true?

Esp Griffyn
08-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks man. So anyway, I was skimming through my old archives of 'Guitar One' magazine and guess what I find. A list of the "Top Ten Worst Guitar Tones." Here's the list:

1. Everthing Nu Metal
2. Jerry Garcia
3. Kirk Hammett
4. Mike Stern
5. Vernon Reid
6. Joe Satriani
7. Mick Mars
8. John McLaughlin
9. Billy Corgan
10. Randy Rhoads

This is dumb. Just because Satch and Randy Rhoads have unique guitar tones that are hard to duplicate doesn't make them bad. In fact that makes them...good. What are your opinions?

That list is complete BS.

Satch, awesome musician, technically astounding. Really nice guy too. Imet him outside G3.

clairvoyant
08-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Joe Satriani has great tone, and Randy Rhoads has that kinda tone that would sound awful if any other player had that sound, but Randy makes it sound good.

Whale and Wasp
08-28-2005, 11:41 AM
My opinion is that if you're a fan of rock guitar, you've at least gotta listen to two or three tracks off of 'Surfing with the Alien.'
ok cool...i'll request it in the YSI thread

Cain
08-28-2005, 11:56 AM
A friend of mine told me that 'Surfing with the Alien' won a Grammy. Is that true?

It got nominated but didn't win.

Broken Angels
08-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Joe Satriani has great tone, and Randy Rhoads has that kinda tone that would sound awful if any other player had that sound, but Randy makes it sound good.
I don't know, sometimes his tone is alright but other times it's really off.
Like in Cryin' for example, could have been a much better song with a softer tone.

classicrockman
08-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Let me tell you a funny story of the G3 2003 tour with Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Steve Vai. I know this was not staged.

It was the first stop of the G3 tour; in Phoenix AZ. Everyone played fantastic. Yngwie came out first and kinda...kicked everyone's ***. Steve was playing that crazy triple-neck-guitar when he came out. That was awesome. Joe finished the show playing all of hits, he closed with an awesome version of "Summer Song."

After Joe everyone was waiting for the traditional G3 jam. Satch comes out to thunderous applause, and introduces Yngwie Malmsteen...but Yngwie doesn't come out. I believe there was something wrong with his amps.

Joe and his band are just walking around, really confused. Then Joe says "Okay, we're gonna call this one the Waiting For Yngwie Blues." His drummer and bassist give him a blues beat and Joe busts off a amazing blues improvision. The whole time he was improvising. It was awesome!!

Then after 4 minutes of playing Joe says "We'll have to make a song out of that one!" I thought that was funny. Then 5-10 minutes later Yngwie and Steve come out and explode into "Voodoo Child," and all was well.

What a cool show!! :thumb:

Whale and Wasp
08-28-2005, 01:27 PM
:eek:

i just listened to joe satriani for the first time (the song was surfing with the alien)

this guy is so **** awesome

classicrockman
08-28-2005, 01:31 PM
:eek:

i just listened to joe satriani for the first time (the song was surfing with the alien)

this guy is so **** awesome
:lol: The first emoticon made me laugh.

That's not even the best song on the album. Try "Crushing Day" and "Satch Boogie."

Whale and Wasp
08-28-2005, 01:37 PM
:lol: The first emoticon made me laugh.

That's not even the best song on the album. Try "Crushing Day" and "Satch Boogie."
ok :D

btw is the entire album awesome? i might just go ahead and buy the thing

classicrockman
08-28-2005, 01:38 PM
ok :D

btw is the entire album awesome? i might just go ahead and buy the thing
I would totally buy it. Most say it's his best work. :thumb:

JonG
08-28-2005, 01:41 PM
I bought Surfin' With The Alien a while back. It has some quality songs on it.

Whale and Wasp
08-28-2005, 01:43 PM
I would totally buy it. Most say it's his best work. :thumb:
awesome!! bad thing is that i have to wait till the summer when im old enough to get a job - my parents wont buy any cds for me

classicrockman
08-28-2005, 01:46 PM
I wanna get some of Joe's badass hats and sunglasses.

Txus
08-28-2005, 02:41 PM
I wanna get some of Joe's badass hats and sunglasses.
He has some cool bennies. :D

Cain
08-28-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't know, sometimes his tone is alright but other times it's really off.
Like in Cryin' for example, could have been a much better song with a softer tone.

Yeah, that tone is blecch. His bends are all limp-wristed and out-of-tune too.

classicrockman
08-28-2005, 02:44 PM
They should have like one giant tour called "Monsters of Shread" and have all these shredders on it.

Like Satch, Vai, Petrruci, Johnson, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Van Halen...that would be rad.

Cain
08-28-2005, 02:46 PM
They should have like one giant tour called "Monsters of Shread" and have all these shredders on it.

Like Stach, Vai, Petrruci, Johnson, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Van Halen...that would be rad.

Ugh, it would be boring. Good idea, but I would seriously leave after an hour or so. I would just get so tired of all that shreddy guitar. I love it, but I'm not immune to its gradual sameness.

And there would be no chicks at any of these shows either.

JonG
08-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I like him better bald.

With hair, he looks funny.

Joe
08-28-2005, 02:50 PM

1. Everthing Nu Metal
2. Jerry Garcia
3. Kirk Hammett
4. Mike Stern
5. Vernon Reid
6. Joe Satriani
7. Mick Mars
8. John McLaughlin
9. Billy Corgan
10. Randy Rhoads

Total bull. Joe Satriani has very cool tone, as does randy roads. Kirk Hammett has great tone when he's off the wah pedal. I remember reading that list a few months back and remembering how much bull it was (this was before I was a big satch fan)

JonG
08-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, that list is trash. Jerry Garcias skills make up for his "bad tone". He plays more instruments then the fool that wrote that.

Broken Angels
08-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Ugh, it would be boring. Good idea, but I would seriously leave after an hour or so. I would just get so tired of all that shreddy guitar. I love it, but I'm not immune to its gradual sameness.

And there would be no chicks at any of these shows either.
I know there would be some chicks there. Just not all that many.
And if they composed stuff together it would be alot cooler than them all just repeating each other's sets. Kind of like a virtuosic guitar orchestra.

clairvoyant
08-28-2005, 03:05 PM
"Echo" is also a great song from Surfing With The Alien.

classicrockman
08-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah, that list is trash. Jerry Garcias skills make up for his "bad tone". He plays more instruments then the fool that wrote that.
Anytime someone tries to make a list, it's all wrong.

One time 'Guitar World' made a list of "The 100 Worst Guitar Riffs, Licks, And Solos." Not one song by Nirvana.

I think Guitar World is scared of Courtney Love.

Broken Angels
08-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Anytime someone tries to make a list, it's all wrong.

One time 'Guitar World' made a list of "The 100 Worst Guitar Riffs, Licks, And Solos." Not one song by Nirvana.

I think Guitar World is scared of Courtney Love.
Well the fact that these lists are mostly based on opinion means that very few people will ever agree with them.

Cain
08-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Any sane person is scared of Courtney Love.

classicrockman
08-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Joe needs to get back on tour. Just him.

Joe_rocks
08-29-2005, 02:24 AM

1. Everthing Nu Metal
2. Jerry Garcia
3. Kirk Hammett
4. Mike Stern
5. Vernon Reid
6. Joe Satriani
7. Mick Mars
8. John McLaughlin
9. Billy Corgan
10. Randy Rhoads

my opinion is that the guy who wrote that article is a ****Head and deserves to die. besides satch, randy had bloody great tone? whats he on about ???

classicrockman
08-29-2005, 06:25 PM
my opinion is that the guy who wrote that article is a ****Head and deserves to die. besides satch, randy had bloody great tone? whats he on about ???
You're dead on, what you just said.

I think because their tones were different, it's a good thing.

Joe
08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Joe needs to get back on tour. Just him.

I'd like to see it. i've never seen him live`

Distant Echoes
08-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Id like to see any guitar virtuoso live. Whens the last time Satriani toured so i can get an idea whens he's coming back around?

classicrockman
08-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Id like to see any guitar virtuoso live. Whens the last time Satriani toured so i can get an idea whens he's coming back around?
Last time he toured was the G3 2005 a few months ago. But that was only in Asia and Europe.

The last time Joe toured the states was I think, G3 2003. I don't know, Joe tours a lot. Which is great for any fan of his music.

IbanezSamurai
08-29-2005, 07:49 PM
I've been to the Evening With Joe Satriani back in October when he was promoting Is There Love In Space?, I dont think he is going to tour anymore till the new G3 or album comes out.

classicrockman
08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
I've been to the Evening With Joe Satriani back in October when he was promoting Is There Love In Space?, I dont think he is going to tour anymore till the new G3 or album comes out.
Oh yeah, you're right. The album and DVD drops in October.

Can't wait! :cool:

classicrockman
09-04-2005, 12:25 PM
And by the way...here's what 'Guitar One' said were the "Top 10 Shred Albums of All Time":

1) Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force
2) Racer X - Live: Extreme Volume
3) Vinnie Moore - Mind's Eye
4) Tony MacAlpine - Edge of Insanity
5) Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare
6) Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien
7) Shawn Lane - Powers of Ten
8) Michael Lee Firkens - Michael Lee Firkins
9) Cacophony - Spped Metal Symphony
10) Greg Howe - Greg Howe

I personally think Joe and Steve should be higher on the list, but Yngwie does deserve to be Number 1.

Albums that should be on there:
1) Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
2) Van Halen - Van Halen
3) Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
4) John Petrucci - Suspended Animation
5) Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys (the first shred album)

...................................comments:

munky_magik
09-04-2005, 12:29 PM
And by the way...here's what 'Guitar One' said were the "Top 10 Shred Albums of All Time":

1) Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force
2) Racer X - Live: Extreme Volume
3) Vinnie Moore - Mind's Eye
4) Tony MacAlpine - Edge of Insanity
5) Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare
6) Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien
7) Shawn Lane - Powers of Ten
8) Michael Lee Firkens - Michael Lee Firkins
9) Cacophony - Spped Metal Symphony
10) Greg Howe - Greg Howe

I personally think Joe and Steve should be higher on the list, but Yngwie does deserve to be Number 1.

Albums that should be on there:
1) Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
2) Van Halen - Van Halen
3) Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
4) John Petrucci - Suspended Animation
5) Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys (the first shred album)

...................................comments:

I don't think it's fair to class Sath and Vai as shred when compared to the likes of Malmsteen etc..

Van Halen wasn't really a shred album. Neither was Band of Gypsys.
And was Suspended Animation out in time to be on that list?

classicrockman
09-04-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't think it's fair to class Sath and Vai as shred when compared to the likes of Malmsteen etc..

Van Halen wasn't really a shred album. Neither was Band of Gypsys.
And was Suspended Animation out in time to be on that list?
Oh, you're right...I'm not sure.

So what do you think about the list?

CarvinShredder
09-04-2005, 12:55 PM
It's good. But I'm missing a few classics. Like Perspective and Perpetual Burn to name a few

Distant Echoes
09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
I was looking for some more shread albums...Ill probably look for some on that list.

Anybody have any they wanna upload? I can do Surfing with the Alien and Passion & Warfare latter tonight.

classicrockman
09-04-2005, 04:42 PM
It's good. But I'm missing a few classics. Like Perspective and Perpetual Burn to name a few
Who are those by?

thunderzstruck
09-04-2005, 05:35 PM
jason becker

classicrockman
09-04-2005, 05:39 PM
jason becker
Is he good?

I always here his name being tossed around, but I've never listened to his music.

MRDuCran
09-04-2005, 05:44 PM
He was extremely good until he was cursed with a disease called ALS that slowly sucked the life out of him.

www.jasonbecker.com

classicrockman
09-04-2005, 05:48 PM
He was extremely good until he was cursed with a disease called ALS that slowly sucked the life out of him.

www.jasonbecker.com
(playing music)

...Sounds good!

RockThe40oz!
09-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Joe satriani....what a weirdo :)

classicrockman
09-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Joe satriani....what a weirdo :)
...why?

thunderzstruck
09-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Is he good?

I always here his name being tossed around, but I've never listened to his music.

oh yeah

Distant Echoes
09-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Surfing with the alien and passion of warfare available in the R&M YSI thread now!
OMGLOLBBQ go To It!!!!

jason becker? I vaguley know of him...anything good by him i should check out - or at least know about him?

thunderzstruck
09-04-2005, 07:44 PM
The whole cd of perpetual burn

Distant Echoes
09-04-2005, 07:45 PM
anybody got it? Id probably listen to it asap, dispite my long album listening list...i dl too much.

Fallen Zero
09-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Since its a satch thread, i'll say that satch is my fave guitar player.

And as far as jason becker goes, check out his work with marty friedman in Cacophony

thunderzstruck
09-04-2005, 07:49 PM
anybody got it? Id probably listen to it asap, dispite my long album listening list...i dl too much.

I'll start uploading perpetual burn now

Enjoy your firggen perpetual burn cd

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=049I1B5TONUJB3VB4EA4NF1CZO

thunderzstruck
09-04-2005, 09:25 PM
bump

classicrockman
09-04-2005, 10:58 PM
bump
Thanks again "thunderzstruck". :thumb:

/downloading

pudding time
09-05-2005, 06:57 PM
the great thing about JS his music is always changing and he knows when he can relax a little in a song and when its shred time. thats awesome. thats the major flaw with people like malmsteen. straight up shredding gets tiresome after a while. especially in virtuoso music you need to keep things fresh. btw "crushing day" is brilliant. get your hands on surfing with the alien as soon as humanly possible. buy the extrimist too.

............also............if you like guitar-master albums then check out a cd called "Freak Guitar" by Mattias IA Eklundh. ist not in very many stores that i know of but you can order it off amazon or something. that album is wicked. theres so much different material on that and its really quirky and weird but he has serious talent.

classicrockman
09-05-2005, 07:14 PM
the great thing about JS his music is always changing and he knows when he can relax a little in a song and when its shred time. thats awesome. thats the major flaw with people like malmsteen. straight up shredding gets tiresome after a while. especially in virtuoso music you need to keep things fresh. btw "crushing day" is brilliant. get your hands on surfing with the alien as soon as humanly possible. buy the extrimist too.

............also............if you like guitar-master albums then check out a cd called "Freak Guitar" by Mattias IA Eklundh. ist not in very many stores that i know of but you can order it off amazon or something. that album is wicked. theres so much different material on that and its really quirky and weird but he has serious talent.
Sounds good "pudding time".

That's one thing I can do with Joe Satriani and without other shredders...play their music to a friend. People who've never heard shredding before will pick up a Satch record and go "that's catchy," when the CD is all instumentals.

Distant Echoes
09-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Even though i think steve vai is more talented, i prefer satrianis style more. and sometimes vais tone earritates me a bit...but he is by no means a bad guitarist for that. I have an awsome video i wanna upload of him, but i may do it latter; though i will need a reminder.

Thanks for the album thunder! heres one i believe everybody should have as well...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=43I5ZCQY
^Joe Satriani, surfing with the alien. I dont know who got it in the other thread, so here it is again. Let me know if theres any problems.

classicrockman
09-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Even though i think steve vai is more talented, i prefer satrianis style more. and sometimes vais tone earritates me a bit...but he is by no means a bad guitarist for that. I have an awsome video i wanna upload of him, but i may do it latter; though i will need a reminder.

Thanks for the album thunder! heres one i believe everybody should have as well...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=43I5ZCQY
^Joe Satriani, surfing with the alien. I dont know who got it in the other thread, so here it is again. Let me know if theres any problems.
I don't like Vai's tone all too much either.

thunderzstruck
09-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Ooooh man I love Vai's tone, IMO Vai > Satch

but this is a Satch thread :p

Love Thing is such an awesome song

classicrockman
09-05-2005, 07:39 PM

but this is a Satch thread :p

Love Thing is such an awesome song
I'm not gonna flame you or anything. :p

But that's what MX is for; voicing your opinion. You voiced yours, I voiced mine. It's all good! :thumb:

YouGottaBeCrazy
09-05-2005, 07:39 PM

I think you're wrong. :p

The_Shredder
09-05-2005, 07:40 PM
I think you're wrong. :p

In terms of technique there's no debate, the student has suprassed the teacher. But in terms of tone and songwritting, it's debatable.

classicrockman
09-05-2005, 07:43 PM
I think it's cool that Satch and Vai don't stick to the same old Gibson/Fender and Marshall formula.

Joe plays an Ibanez with Peavy amps, and Steve plays an Ibanez with (don't know) amps.

Fish
09-05-2005, 07:44 PM
satch is awesome, but he doesnt compete with petrucci

YouGottaBeCrazy
09-05-2005, 07:50 PM
In terms of technique there's no debate, the student has suprassed the teacher. But in terms of tone and songwritting, it's debatable.

True. I think both are great technique wise, but Vai edges him out. For the Love of God is one of my favorite instrumentals. However, songwriting wise, I think Satch > Vai by a mile. Vai seems to be more for just soloing and less of structure, Satch actually likes to have parts be the chorus and the verse, etc. Tone wise, they both have awesome tone, but I'm gonna' vote for Satch again. But I'm biased. :p

classicrockman
09-05-2005, 07:52 PM
If Satch was in a band with other incredibly talented musicians then you could compare the two.

baconsrebellion
09-05-2005, 07:55 PM
from what i ve heard h es awesome i h avennt heard too much though

thunderzstruck
09-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Steve plays an Ibanez with (don't know) amps.

Legacy amps

classicrockman
09-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Legacy amps
...Legacy? Is that some sort of artist model amp or something?

Fish
09-05-2005, 08:08 PM
If Satch was in a band with other incredibly talented musicians then you could compare the two.

yes you could compare them, but he wouldnt come close in skill level

classicrockman
09-05-2005, 08:13 PM
yes you could compare them, but he wouldnt come close in skill level
...You sure?

I don't know.

Steerpike
09-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Oh great. Once the Dream Theater fanboys enter the picture, it's the beginning of the end.

Fish
09-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Petrucci is a more skilled guitarist. Satch is good, but not that good. just compare them at G3, when Petrucci, Vai and Satch played together

Fish
09-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Oh great. Once the Dream Theater fanboys enter the picture, it's the beginning of the end.
exactly. DT is the bomb, and the fanboys will back them up to the death. so prepare your argument to the end

classicrockman
09-05-2005, 08:43 PM
:lol:

Okay, let me just say this...Satch and Petrucci are both good. One's not much better than the other. And "Fish", cut the crap if you're not gonna talk about Joe or stuff related to Joe, okay?

#1!
09-05-2005, 09:11 PM

Lionheart1827
09-05-2005, 09:16 PM
This isnt a discussion about petrucci. if you want to talk about petrucci, make another topic.

anyway, I saw satch back in october and he was awesome, extremely tight player live. I didnt notice ANY screwups at all. :thumb:

kidthatplaysguitar91
09-05-2005, 09:32 PM
so true

#1!
09-05-2005, 09:33 PM
...Legacy? Is that some sort of artist model amp or something?
They are a model made by Carvin.

Now for something about Satch:
I've got 'Surfing With The Alien', I think it might be the only purely instrumental CD that I can listen to from start to finish because of his songwriting ability. It was my first (and only for quite a while) shred CD, and remains in regular rotation in my car.

Steerpike
09-06-2005, 04:29 AM
exactly. DT is the bomb, and the fanboys will back them up to the death. so prepare your argument to the end

Or I could just stick you on the ignore list because I don't want to argue with fools. This is not a John Petrucci thread. Take your Dream Theater whoring to the Dream Theater thread.

If you want to discuss the virtues of other guitarists along with Satch in point/counterpoint, fine. If you just want to say "no way, man, petrucci is teh pwnxorzz!!", get out.

Joe_rocks
09-06-2005, 05:08 AM
Best thread ever

Fish
09-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Or I could just stick you on the ignore list because I don't want to argue with fools. This is not a John Petrucci thread. Take your Dream Theater whoring to the Dream Theater thread.

If you want to discuss the virtues of other guitarists along with Satch in point/counterpoint, fine. If you just want to say "no way, man, petrucci is teh pwnxorzz!!", get out.

thats not what i was saying :confused: but ok.

munky_magik
09-06-2005, 01:22 PM
This isnt a discussion about petrucci. if you want to talk about petrucci, make another topic.

anyway, I saw satch back in october and he was awesome, extremely tight player live. I didnt notice ANY screwups at all. :thumb:
I think after his first release he worked on his live show, making sure that he didn't make any mistakes.

Steerpike
09-06-2005, 01:27 PM
thats not what i was saying :confused: but ok.

My point is that this is a thread about discussion of Joe Satriani. It's not a versus thread.

And every time I see a versus thread or somebody who wants to turn an existing thread into one, I see blood.

So I thought I'd nip this one in the bud just in case.

Fish
09-06-2005, 01:31 PM
My point is that this is a thread about discussion of Joe Satriani. It's not a versus thread.

And every time I see a versus thread or somebody who wants to turn an existing thread into one, I see blood.

So I thought I'd nip this one in the bud just in case.

okay now you're making sense, well what can i say about satch... My favorite song is probably Friends, my teacher gave me his Extremist CD one day for free. ;)

JonG
09-06-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm finishing up learning "Starry Night" right now. Great song, just can't capture the correct tone :\

classicrockman
09-06-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm finishing up learning "Starry Night" right now. Great song, just can't capture the correct tone :\
That's a good one.

He also covers The Shadows' "Sleepwalk" off that album. That's one of my favorites. :thumb:

Joe_rocks
09-16-2005, 03:12 AM
that is a good song, i really like searching, mainly, for the whammy

classicrockman
10-08-2005, 01:13 PM
that is a good song, i really like searching, mainly, for the whammy
Joe's gonna play that song on the new G3 live DVD.

crazymehehe
10-08-2005, 05:31 PM
I have Is there love in space, it's the only album i have by him, i think it's really good considering it's the first i've ever heard of him. But satch boogie owns all.ya thats the only album i own too i like the song if i could fly the best, id otn really know anything else by him :(

Rising
10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
i hear that Joe is a really good guitarist, 2 years from now im going to get guitar lessons from him ( group lessons , not personal lessons )

classicrockman
10-08-2005, 07:16 PM
i hear that Joe is a really good guitarist, 2 years from now im going to get guitar lessons from him ( group lessons , not personal lessons )
That's awesome!

You might want to listen to some of his stuff before you see him. I hear he's a very nice guy.

Rising
10-08-2005, 07:21 PM
That's awesome!

You might want to listen to some of his stuff before you see him. I hear he's a very nice guy.
recommend anything ?

crazymehehe
10-08-2005, 07:33 PM
i hear that Joe is a really good guitarist, 2 years from now im going to get guitar lessons from him ( group lessons , not personal lessons )how do you know him or what thats coolio

classicrockman
10-08-2005, 07:39 PM
recommend anything ?
Go buy the 'Surfing with the Alien' and 'The Extremist' albums.

They're the best.

1&aHALFstep
10-09-2005, 01:50 PM
I love midnight!!!!

classicrockman
10-09-2005, 02:29 PM
I love midnight!!!!
A tapping guitarists fantasy. :thumb:

I have that song on the G3 DVD...unfreakin' believable.

classicrockman
11-17-2005, 07:58 PM
/mega bump

I know there's some more Satch fans out there. Where are you guys?

TemperamentalGoat
11-17-2005, 08:01 PM

On the contrary, I happen to think Satriani owns Vai in improv. I've seen the entire Live in Tokyo DVD and while the music was boring, it was fun seeing which of the three could quickly improvise quick licks. My ranking:
1) Joe Satriani
2) John Petrucci
3) Steve Vai

Vai's an excellent guitarist (saw a vid of him and a 3 neck guitar. nice.) but everything he played seemed random that night, if stupidly fast.

classicrockman
11-17-2005, 08:04 PM
On the contrary, I happen to think Satriani owns Vai in improv. I've seen the entire Live in Tokyo DVD and while the music was boring, it was fun seeing which of the three could quickly improvise quick licks. My ranking:
1) Joe Satriani
2) John Petrucci
3) Steve Vai

Vai's an excellent guitarist (saw a vid of him and a 3 neck guitar. nice.) but everything he played seemed random that night, if stupidly fast.
I just finished watching the DVD about an hour ago. You're absoultely right.

The crap that Vai was doing was weird Whammy bar-dives and out of place tapping...it just seemed odd to me.

.:Thrasher:.
11-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Ah this is my kind of thread. the person who taught Kirk Hammett.
can anyone recommend some songs please

classicrockman
11-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Ah this is my kind of thread. the person who taught Kirk Hammett.
can anyone recommend some songs please
No problemo.

1. The Extremist
2. Midnight
3. Up In Flames
4. Satch Boogie
5. Sleep Walk
6. Summer Song
7. Crystal Planet
8. The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
9. One Big Rush
10. Cool #9

Those are just a few of my favorites...in no particular order. Enjoy!

Cain
11-18-2005, 06:48 PM
1) Joe Satriani
2) John Petrucci
3) Steve Vai

I've seen a vid of his playing on "Foxy Lady" and I agree. He looks old, unstylish, tired, and like he sucks at playing. I don't get it, his soloing on that song was so peculiar and bad. According to you, he seems to be that way on the whole DVD.

classicrockman
11-18-2005, 06:50 PM
I've seen a vid of his playing on "Foxy Lady" and I agree. He looks old, unstylish, tired, and like he sucks at playing. I don't get it, his soloing on that song was so peculiar and bad. According to you, he seems to be that way on the whole DVD.
He really looks like drugs hit him hard. His face just didn't look right. I mean, Joe's like two years older than him. Satriani singing "Foxey Lady" was funny though. He cannot sing. :lol:

But who cares?

Broken Angels
11-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I saw that vid as well; Satch's playing was just horribly predictable and it just looked as though he was trying to compete with Petrucci throughout the whole song. The only interesting stuff came from Vai, as far as I'm concerned.

.:Thrasher:.: Also try checking out: 'Cryin''. 'Midnight', and 'If I Could Fly'

HazMan
11-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Satrani is a legend, Surfing With The Alien is my favourite album.

Cain
11-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I've decided that I friggin' hate every G3 performance except for the one with Eric Johnson. That was the only one where Satriani didn't feel like he had to compete with all the dumb shredders that they got as guest stars, and fail miserably because he's just not technically very good anymore.

Poor Satch, he really has gotten very predictable. Of late he seems to keep trying for all these classic rock style things instead of evolving his sound. His soloing is based on hyper-fast pentatonic clichés and the one legato lick that he ever uses anymore:

E-12p8h10h12p10p8s7h8h10p8p7------------------------------------------------
B-----------------------------------h10p7h8h10p8p7------------------------------
G-----------------------------------------------------9p7s5h7p5s4h5h7p5p4-----
D-----------------------------------------------------------------------------7p4h5
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

etc...

He's just become a disappointingly boring guitar player. His last two albums had next to no experimentation on them, and the G3 tours are thoroughly unimpressive on nearly all counts, because the guest stars stink and Satch AND Vai keep playing the same licks over and over again when improvising: plus, NONE of them know how to jam on classic rock songs. Listening to Satch, Vai and Yngwie wheedle their way through songs like "Rockin' in the Free World," "Foxy Lady," and "Voodoo Chile" seems almost sacriligeous in the extreme and laughable at the least. There's no denying that Satch wrote a ton of good songs, but he's lost a LOT of fire with age.

Compare his sweep picking and soloing versatility on something like "Crushing Day" to "Mind Storm." He's gotten VERY sloppy and uncreative.

Broken Angels
11-18-2005, 07:05 PM
I think Satch is just going through a phase.
I can't 'member where I read it but he said somewhere: "You've seen my technical side and my electronic side, now you're seeing my ROCKIN' side"...or something to that effect.
I think Vai is as quirky as ever; in the Foxy Lady vid I think he was just playing counterpoint to Satch and Petrucci.
And Petrucci, well...he hasn't ever been all that diverse has he?

Cain
11-18-2005, 07:09 PM
I think Satch is just going through a phase.
I can't 'member where I read it but he said somewhere: "You've seen my technical side and my electronic side, now you're seeing my ROCKIN' side"...or something to that effect.
I think Vai is as quirky as ever; in the Foxy Lady vid I think he was just playing counterpoint to Satch and Petrucci.
And Petrucci, well...he hasn't ever been all that diverse has he?

His rocking side is really, really weak though. He simply does not excel at that sort of thing. He's never been a jammer extraordinaire or even someone that ever really pushes the harmonic envelope, at least recently.

Vai is certainly quirky, but he's equally frustrating in that he isn't quite evolving, and improvisationally he's really weak, surprisingly so for a musician of his caliber.

And Petrucci was always a terrible improviser.

Broken Angels
11-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Satch:'s "rockin'" side is nothing special at all. But I'm content to let him play it out and get it over with in the hope that he'll develop something new...soon!

Vai: I'm more interested in watching him play than anyone else because I've always found him more interesting. His Improv's always seem different and exciting compared to most others.

Petrucci: I think he can do some decent Imporv's (see: Live at Budokan) but on the Foxy lady vid he didn't really do anything very impressive. As far as he's concerned he is most definetly stuck in a rut.

.:Thrasher:.
11-18-2005, 07:21 PM
I saw that vid as well; Satch's playing was just horribly predictable and it just looked as though he was trying to compete with Petrucci throughout the whole song. The only interesting stuff came from Vai, as far as I'm concerned.

.:Thrasher:.: Also try checking out: 'Cryin''. 'Midnight', and 'If I Could Fly'

thanks guys i have been interested in listening to his music

classicrockman
11-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Wow...some harsh words from Broken Angels and Cain there. Whatever your case is, we all like old Satch. Not many guitarists can touch albums like 'Surfing with the Alien' or 'The Extremist.'

But I did like his last two albums.

Tarquin1986
11-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Yngwie's improv on G3 is appalling. Not a single recognizable lick. Vai sounds good but isn't really improvising. Satch on the other hand simply kicks ***.

I do reckon Vai has surpassed his teacher composition and techniquewise but it took a hell of a long time to happen. Reflections is pretty perfect but satch was making perfect music in the 80s when vai was just a shredder

YouGottaBeCrazy
11-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Wow...some harsh words from Broken Angels and Cain there. Whatever your case is, we all like old Satch. Not many guitarists can touch albums like 'Surfing with the Alien' or 'The Extremist.'

But I did like his last two albums.

Is There Love in Space? Is pretty good.

Cain
11-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Is There Love in Space? Is pretty good.

Really? I thought it was very weak. Not as weak as "Strange Beautiful Music," but still not what I'm used to hearing. I'm dying to hear something as cool as "Crystal Planet" or as joyous as "Engines of Creation" from him, and all I get is silly distortion experiments.

Toaster
11-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah, "Searching" is one of his most terrible tracks ever. He's never allowed to make a jam song again.

Cain
11-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Yeah, "Searching" is one of his most terrible tracks ever. He's never allowed to make a jam song again.

Yeah. It's not a jam at all. He's just soloing for nine minutes. There is NO band interplay on that song.

Bleh. I thought it was one of the higher-quality ones too.

YouGottaBeCrazy
11-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Well, in my opinion, I think ISLIS? is pretty good. I don't like Searching either, even though every review I've read of the album said that that was the best song on there. I just don't hear it I guess. I love the title track, Gnaahh, If I Could Fly, The Souls of Distortion, and Just Look Up. The rest, to me, is bland and uninspired. However, the ones I mentioned are good enough sounding to my ears to make me call the album pretty good.

Toaster
11-20-2005, 06:07 PM
He really needs to stop singing. If you hear him on Foxey Lady on the G3 with Petrucci, he sings the vocal line an octave lower. Terrible.

I actually used to be a huge Satch fan, I have all of his records. His music is starting to stagnate now though. Vai has surpassed him, unfortunately.

classicrockman
11-20-2005, 06:22 PM
He really needs to stop singing. If you hear him on Foxey Lady on the G3 with Petrucci, he sings the vocal line an octave lower. Terrible.

I actually used to be a huge Satch fan, I have all of his records. His music is starting to stagnate now though. Vai has surpassed him, unfortunately.
He can't sing. :lol:

But I liked ITLIS. It's not as good as say The Extremist. But in no ways do I think Satch's music is dead and bland. It might not be as good as the old stuff, be he's trying to keep it up.

lak89
11-20-2005, 07:46 PM
although he's really amazing and technically skilled, i think he sticks too much to the pentatonic scale, but he's still amazing anyway, i have the G3 dvd this year with Vai and Petrucci. Awesomeness

Britton
11-20-2005, 07:49 PM
although he's really amazing and technically skilled, i think he sticks too much to the pentatonic scale, but he's still amazing anyway, i have the G3 dvd this year with Vai and Petrucci. Awesomeness

When did the DVD come out?

IbanezSamurai
11-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I've decided that I friggin' hate every G3 performance except for the one with Eric Johnson. That was the only one where Satriani didn't feel like he had to compete with all the dumb shredders that they got as guest stars, and fail miserably because he's just not technically very good anymore.

Poor Satch, he really has gotten very predictable. Of late he seems to keep trying for all these classic rock style things instead of evolving his sound. His soloing is based on hyper-fast pentatonic clichés and the one legato lick that he ever uses anymore:

E-12p8h10h12p10p8s7h8h10p8p7------------------------------------------------
B-----------------------------------h10p7h8h10p8p7------------------------------
G-----------------------------------------------------9p7s5h7p5s4h5h7p5p4-----
D-----------------------------------------------------------------------------7p4h5
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

etc...

He's just become a disappointingly boring guitar player. His last two albums had next to no experimentation on them, and the G3 tours are thoroughly unimpressive on nearly all counts, because the guest stars stink and Satch AND Vai keep playing the same licks over and over again when improvising: plus, NONE of them know how to jam on classic rock songs. Listening to Satch, Vai and Yngwie wheedle their way through songs like "Rockin' in the Free World," "Foxy Lady," and "Voodoo Chile" seems almost sacriligeous in the extreme and laughable at the least. There's no denying that Satch wrote a ton of good songs, but he's lost a LOT of fire with age.

Compare his sweep picking and soloing versatility on something like "Crushing Day" to "Mind Storm." He's gotten VERY sloppy and uncreative.

I thought that Engines of Creations was his most experimental album but I guess not a lot of people dug the whole techno thing even though I really liked it.

lak89
11-20-2005, 08:43 PM
When did the DVD come out?
last month, i think it was on Oct 22nd

classicrockman
11-23-2005, 08:56 PM
I thought that Engines of Creations was his most experimental album but I guess not a lot of people dug the whole techno thing even though I really liked it.
Joe's first album 'Not of this Earth' was also very experimental. Even though I didn't even like that album, or 'Engines of Creation' for that matter.

mr black
11-24-2005, 01:00 AM
got his live in san fransico dvd..his a good guitarest...il give him that..alot of wankery but thats all good because the rest of the band give me the ****s...that drummer needs a good slap... anywho i am listening to "always with me always with you" and i still like him

Kids_For_Christ
11-24-2005, 04:13 AM
grr im so pissed i found out satch was here(oztralia) like early this year....but i found out when hed already left :'( noooooo that pisses me off. sweet guitarist though hes got skills ill give him that.not like me though...*cough*

Kids_For_Christ
11-24-2005, 04:18 AM
oh another thing u guys heard "love thing"? its so mad live

rhcp pman
11-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Really? I thought it was very weak. Not as weak as "Strange Beautiful Music," but still not what I'm used to hearing. I'm dying to hear something as cool as "Crystal Planet" or as joyous as "Engines of Creation" from him, and all I get is silly distortion experiments.'
Awesome. The only Satriani albums I've heard are Strange Beautiful Music and Surfing With The Alien and I'm definitely converted to him. I don't see how anyone couldn't like him. But if you think Strange Beautiful Music is weak, his other albums must be awesome. I have to hear them.

classicrockman
11-24-2005, 06:46 PM
'
Awesome. The only Satriani albums I've heard are Strange Beautiful Music and Surfing With The Alien and I'm definitely converted to him. I don't see how anyone couldn't like him. But if you think Strange Beautiful Music is weak, his other albums must be awesome. I have to hear them.
Well...I think the next two albums you should buy are 'The Extremist' and 'Flying in a Blue Dream.'

Two instant classics that you should love! :thumb:

Cain
11-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Well...I think the next two albums you should buy are 'The Extremist' and 'Flying in a Blue Dream.'

Two instant classics that you should love! :thumb:

Oh yeah. Those two, in addition to Crystal Planet, rank among his best ever.

classicrockman
11-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah. Those two, in addition to Crystal Planet, rank among his best ever.
Crystal Planet is amazing as well.

/starts to listen to Crystal Planet on computer

classicrockman
02-11-2006, 10:06 PM
New Satch album March 14th!!!!!!!

http://www.satriani.com/2004/discography/Super_Colossal/

NeilA
02-19-2006, 10:54 AM
For my money Flying in a Blue Dream is the best track ever...not just the best Satch track but one of the best pieces of music ever written. The first time I heard it I was blown away...I instantly loved the beginning, the chatter and harmonic feeding back. I like the way the track ends with a heavier more distorted guitar, instead of backing off as the track is ending.

I saw him in concert last year. I like both Vai and Satch...but Satch just seemed to have more fun on stage and that translated into the audience reaction.

classicrockman
02-19-2006, 10:56 AM
For my money Flying in a Blue Dream is the best track ever...not just the best Satch track but one of the best pieces of music ever written. The first time I heard it I was blown away...I instantly loved the beginning, the chatter and harmonic feeding back. I like the way the track ends with a heavier more distorted guitar, instead of backing off as the track is ending.

I saw him in concert last year. I like both Vai and Satch...but Satch just seemed to have more fun on stage and that translated into the audience reaction.
I agree with both things that you said. Joe is just amazing.

classicrockman
03-18-2006, 07:09 PM
New Satch album March 14th!!!!!!!

http://www.satriani.com/2004/discography/Super_Colossal/
Oh, c'mon! Anybody?

thunderzstruck
03-18-2006, 10:07 PM
ten words is an amazing song

havent listened to much else but it kinda sounds just more of the same :/

ghettoeddo
03-19-2006, 12:46 AM
i havent really heard much of him, although i have G3 tokyo DVD and the one w/ yngwie CD. any recommendations on which CD's to start? it seems like flying in a blue dream/the extremist seem to be popular?

and i've heard rumors of eric johnson/joe satriani touring..? can anyone confirm?

Ice 9
03-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Hey first post

I love Satch. Good to meet other people who are into the guy. I have had 'Surfing With The Alien' for a long while, and have loved the sheer variety and technical ability displayed on that album. Hence my username. I also have 'The Extremist', and find that less experimental but much more expressive. The songs on that just ooze with feel, such as Cryin', and my favourite two off the album which are just two of the most rocking songs i can name, 'The Extremist' and 'War'.

I recently picked up 'Not of This Earth' for a paltry $2 at a pawn shop, and am quite impressed by that though i haven't had much time to listen to anything recently. My favourite song off that so far is 'The Snake'. Can someone answer me where 'Not Of This Earth' fits in the chronology of Satchs albums?

Cheers.

Shuk
03-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Super Colossal is an awesome album! I don't know if it's his best, but it's definetly up there. He hasn't lost his groove! I haven't finished listening to it yet but it's definetly got some addictive riffs and awesome lead playing!

classicrockman
03-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Hey first post

I love Satch. Good to meet other people who are into the guy. I have had 'Surfing With The Alien' for a long while, and have loved the sheer variety and technical ability displayed on that album. Hence my username. I also have 'The Extremist', and find that less experimental but much more expressive. The songs on that just ooze with feel, such as Cryin', and my favourite two off the album which are just two of the most rocking songs i can name, 'The Extremist' and 'War'.

I recently picked up 'Not of This Earth' for a paltry $2 at a pawn shop, and am quite impressed by that though i haven't had much time to listen to anything recently. My favourite song off that so far is 'The Snake'. Can someone answer me where 'Not Of This Earth' fits in the chronology of Satchs albums?

Cheers.
hahaha. I have no idea where 'Not of the Earth' fits in. That album is cwazy. I'm getting 'Super Colossal' today. So excited.

And I'm gonna see Satch in concert with Eric Johnson in may. :)

Mars Volta
03-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Not of This Earth was his first album and he paid for it entirely himself on his credit card.

I'm going to see him at Manchester in June.

In the U.S Eric Johnson is touring with him but I don't think he's coming to England. :(
Can anyone confirm this and if it is true who is supporting him over here?

classicrockman
03-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Not of This Earth was his first album and he paid for it entirely himself on his credit card.

I'm going to see him at Manchester in June.

In the U.S Eric Johnson is touring with him but I don't think he's coming to England. :(
Can anyone confirm this and if it is true who is supporting him over here?
Hhmmm...it doesn't say on Joe's website or the Apollo's website. I would assume he's touring with Eric Johnson...

Shuk
03-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Satch is also coming to Canada with Eric Johnson. Im seeing him in April in Toronto!

YouGottaBeCrazy
03-19-2006, 04:47 PM
I haven't picked up Super Collosal yet. How is it?

ghettoeddo
03-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Hhmmm...it doesn't say on Joe's website or the Apollo's website. I would assume he's touring with Eric Johnson...

can i get a link to the tour-site?

classicrockman
03-19-2006, 07:16 PM
can i get a link to the tour-site?
Here you go:

http://www.satriani.com/2004/road/

ghettoeddo
03-19-2006, 10:07 PM
thanks a bunch

wute, time to buy some tickets for the phoenix show :]

classicrockman
03-24-2006, 09:41 PM
thanks a bunch

wute, time to buy some tickets for the phoenix show :]
I'm going. :)

Rrrrrrr
03-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Circles is such an awesome song, I always 'air-whammy' along with the whammy dives at the end of the solo and get laughed at :upset:

And Lords of Karma is the coolest name for a song ever.

classicrockman
03-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Circles is such an awesome song, I always 'air-whammy' along with the whammy dives at the end of the solo and get laughed at :upset:

And Lords of Karma is the coolest name for a song ever.

And yes, "Lords of Karma" is a very cool name.

musicforlife
03-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Has anyone in here picked up ,"Super Colssal" ,yet?