PDA

View Full Version : Fender Special Edition Ash MIM Jazz Bass

LewsTherin
08-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Okay...so I went to guitar center today, looking for a new bass, and I picked up this bass. Its a mexican-made ash jazz bass, finished in natural, with a w/b/w pickguard. (pic soon to come)

I was first attracted to this bass because a) the natural ash looks sexy and b) i had wanted a jazz.

This bass is basically just like any other jazz ive ever played.

FEATURES:
7/10
2 bipole single coil pickups
2 Volume, 1 Tone control.
Standard Jazz Bass fare. I wish fender would add a second tone knob. It would make for some awesome sounds. Aside from this, this bass has pretty much everything you need/would expect in a passive bass.

CONSTRUCTION
7/10
Most of this bass seems pretty well put together, except for a few things. The pickguard and the control plate dont quite come together, so there is a small gap between them (3-5mm), which is quite noticable up close. Also, the edges of the skunk stripe are rough past the 8th fret or so, and the neck bolt-plate looks crooked, although the neck seems to be on fine.

The body is 4 peices of ash. From afar, the grain lines mesh together a bit, and even close, some of the seams take some looking to see.

HARDWARE:
6/10
The tuners work fine. I only have to tune once every week or week and a half. As I said in my edit below, I do have problems with the bridge. The action keeps falling. Its pretty annoying, and it only takes about a week after being fixed for one of the saddle screws to be all the way down.

SOUND:
9/10
What can I say, its a Jazz. Probably one of the most versatile passive basses available. I think the only sound Ive been unable to get so far is the P-Bass boom. The Jazz just cant touch that. Barring that, this bass can still get quite the variety of tones.

VALUE:
9/10
At $489USD new, this bass is only a little more expensive than the standard mim jazz. Apparently ash is more expensive than alder. Im completely happy with what I payed for it, however. I probably even would have spent a bit more.

OVERALL:
7.5/10
Its the classic Jazz Bass, in an ever-sexy Ash, with a few apparent albeit minor quality control issues.

PICS NEVER COMING.

EDIT: Almost two weeks better, I still stand by everything I said before. Nothings fallen apart on me. I still love this bass.

I was wrong about the neckplate, its square, its the lower cutout thats at an angle (as its supposed to be) that made me think it was off.

EDIT2: Ive now had this bass for a while, its still in once peice.
I do, however, have problems with the bridge saddles working their way down to as low as they will go, frequently putting dead frets on the fingerboard until i fix it.

Radiobass81
08-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Wow, I want one.

A Fender Jazz, with an ash body, a bit lighter...

I could add the Barts I have on my SX, hoping it adds the deepness most Jazz basses like (and hoping I don't mind the Bart tone)...

Great review man. You made me want one. :thumb:

LewsTherin
08-14-2005, 08:25 PM
You should want one. Its hott.

I love it.

Im just gunna get a new pickguard for it (one that fits right, and that isnt white), some nordies most likely, a new bridge, and a concentric pot so I can have my 2 tone controls.

Radiobass81
08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Hmm...

I'll add the barts, and if I don't like them, trade them for Seymour Duncans... MAYBE add a J-Retro... :D

Alma
08-16-2005, 03:43 AM
Awesome, sounds good.

Can't wait for the pics..

Black Dog
08-18-2005, 03:39 PM
There are pics on musiciansfriend.com

here is the link
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/d=tp?q=fender+fsr+bass

there is also a p bass

Teh Glees0rz
08-18-2005, 04:34 PM
^ Hi. Welcome to the forums. I don't mean to be rude, but when he said pics coming soon, he meant pictures of the bass he owns, not of Fender Jazzes in general.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering a MIM Jazz for my second bass. Great instrument for the money, IMO.

Radiobass81
08-18-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm torn between the P and the J...

The P fits my music more, but it's missing the harmonics I'd like...

Radiobass81
08-19-2005, 05:00 PM
*is getting the P for Christmas*

:cool:

LewsTherin
08-19-2005, 06:07 PM
*is getting the P for Christmas*

:cool:

sweet deal dude. 4 months and a week from yesterday.

Radiobass81
08-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Where are those pics :p?

LewsTherin
08-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Where are those pics :p?

i still havent seen my sister :(

Jamie
10-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Nice bass but definately needs a black pickguard... should come shipped with one!

And whats with Fender using 2 piece ash bodies?!

LewsTherin
10-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Nice bass but definately needs a black pickguard... should come shipped with one!

And whats with Fender using 2 piece ash bodies?!
you mean 4 peice?

Low_End_Communications
10-29-2005, 07:58 PM
It's 4 piece. You didn't mention it, but did yours appear to have the same crappy grain pattern as in the MusiciansFriend pic? I'm thinking I got the exact bass pictured. Although, when I'm playing, or from a distance, you can't even tell.

Low_End_Communications
10-29-2005, 07:59 PM
As for pics, look no further!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/Low_End_Communications/Me%20and%20My%20Basses/jazz_bodsm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/Low_End_Communications/Me%20and%20My%20Basses/jazz_slap.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/Low_End_Communications/Me%20and%20My%20Basses/jazz_fam_sm.jpg

LewsTherin
10-29-2005, 09:07 PM
As for pics, look no further!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/Low_End_Communications/Me%20and%20My%20Basses/jazz_bodsm.jpg

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/Low_End_Communications/Me%20and%20My%20Basses/jazz_slap.jpg

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/Low_End_Communications/Me%20and%20My%20Basses/jazz_fam_sm.jpg

Thanks!

And yeah, mine looks quite the same. The top peice of wood is quite distinguishable, and the other 3 could almost be passable.

spaz21387
10-31-2005, 03:44 PM
I had the same problem with my bridge on my mim fender jazz. Just go pickup a badass 2 bridge or maybe a gotah. The badass 2 will be around 60 to 80 depending on the color you want, mine was 62 including shipping. The gotah is around 30 i think.

Random.bass.player.
11-05-2005, 02:19 PM
I had the same problem with my bridge on my mim fender jazz. Just go pickup a badass 2 bridge or maybe a gotah. The badass 2 will be around 60 to 80 depending on the color you want, mine was 62 including shipping. The gotah is around 30 i think.

Im getting Fender Mex Standard bass for Xmas.
You think mine will have the same bridge problem?

LewsTherin
11-05-2005, 03:31 PM

some do, some don't.

i know people who have never had a problem with theirs, and then there's me and this other guy, who have.

youll just have to see, i guess. and its not even really something you can pick up on in the store. I got mine set up the day I bought it, and it was fine for like a month, and now its horrible.

spaz21387
11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
yea some have issues others are great but i got mine on sale at gc for 350 new and the bridge was fine about a month later. I kept raising the saddles back up and they kept sinking back down. Then i relized it had a problem but I had some extra cash cuz i saved 100 on my jazz so yea.

sinister
01-27-2006, 05:32 PM
How much difference is there between a standard jazz bass and a deluxed (active) jazz bass?

I just don't know which to get, or should I even save for american?

LewsTherin
01-27-2006, 05:46 PM
How much difference is there between a standard jazz bass and a deluxed (active) jazz bass?

I just don't know which to get, or should I even save for american?

the active comes in a few different finishes, like vintage white.

the active also has noiseless pickups, and an active preamp, which has a master volume, blend (pickups), and 2 band EQ.

the standard jazz has non-noiseless pickups, and just volume/volume/tone (passive treble cut).

it all depends on whether you want active or passive electronics, really.

and as to whether or not you want to save up for an american, thats up to you. For alot of people, MIMs are more than good enough. For others, the American and its features/specs are what they need. Play both extensively, and decide if its worth it for you or not.

doodooking
01-27-2006, 07:47 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=517887

is this the bass that's in review?

Alma
01-28-2006, 06:15 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=517887

is this the bass that's in review?

Yes, it is.

TheBassStylee
01-30-2006, 09:09 PM
i own a fender mim jazz deluxe
sounds noticibly better then std., even better for slap
has a THREE band active EQ (stacked knob)
4 colors (vintage white, cherry red, sunburst (??), black - all w/ tort guard)
nice bass for the price

as for the bridge, i have the same problem..
im not gunna pay for a new one, im goin to guitar center and have them give me one, as its under warrenty.. it should be fun, im goin this saturday..

> mike

The_Fender_Bender
01-31-2006, 06:18 AM

No they upgraded them with better bridge this year,
Typical, after I got one in Oct and spent 60 on a new bass

TheBassStylee
01-31-2006, 02:26 PM
ehhh i got mine in dec. and it had the same saddle problem..

mfb
01-31-2006, 02:27 PM
seems like all mim's do.

The_Fender_Bender
02-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I would personally get a different scratch plate
I own a MIM jazz bass. and I found that the scratchplate-control plate was a bit of a bummer, as was the bridge, not to worry though, still overall a very good bass.

pitchfork
02-02-2006, 03:02 PM
upgrade to the badass so many benefits