PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy depressing music? Why/Why not?

Alessandro
08-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Well, in my case, I love depressing music. I think itīs good to be in touch with something that is part of our lives, even tough most of people tend to avoid thinking about the sad moments of life. And when I listen to sad songs, I usually feel really good after doing it. Anyway, discuss. :cool:

heavy metal kid
08-01-2005, 05:16 PM
i like depressing music, as i like any song that bring you any kind of emotion, that make a song great.

classicrockman
08-01-2005, 05:19 PM
No, not really. Radiohead's "Creep" is a great song if you wanna call it depressing.

(LOKI)
08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
does anyone know a more depressing album than Iron Maiden's X-Factor? I'm not talking about any particular song but a depressing album as a whole

LeperAffinity
08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of depressive black metal. The US especially has an incredibly strong scene.

lionelhutz88
08-01-2005, 05:22 PM
I enjoy any music that can make you feel any emotions. To able to depress someone with music takes talent, and I respect that.

heavy metal kid
08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
does anyone know a more depressing album than Iron Maiden's X-Factor? I'm not talking about any particular song but a depressing album as a whole

Jar of Flies and Alice in Chains-Alice in Chains

shamed-angel
08-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I really love some of Opeth's more mellow, Minor Key stuff. Oh sweet jesus, the acoustic guitar riff in "Dirge for November" never fails to give me chills. My favourite "depressing" song is definately "Iter Impius" by Pain of Salvation.

Txus
08-01-2005, 05:25 PM
I love depressing music maybe my favorite "depressing band" is Katatonia they are awesome.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 05:26 PM
/is listening to The Cure.

I listen to a load of Gothic bands and even the vocal tone is depressing.

(LOKI)
08-01-2005, 05:30 PM
/is listening to The Cure.

I listen to a load of Gothic bands and even the vocal tone is depressing.

Type-o-Negative, what a voice

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 05:32 PM
I think Rozz Williams is better but I do like Type O.

Werny
08-01-2005, 05:58 PM
People listen to my music, like Soundgarden, Cathedral, Alice in Chains etc. and think I'm a depressive nut...

I just think the music sounds good.

Nevertheless all the songs I enjoy seem to be about depression so... yeah I like depressing songs, although I've never been depressed as the result of a song.

Ashmalech
08-01-2005, 06:08 PM
I enjoy any music that can make you feel any emotions. To able to depress someone with music takes talent, and I respect that.

That's my opinion on the matter altho i tend to go for agressive angry songs mostly because i feel that is a stronger emotion but i do like the depressive stuff.

This actually oftain takes me outside my normal category of music into stuff like eleanor rigby by the beatles (don't laugh at me... well you can if you must). I like songs like will to power by gorgoroth which may not be depressing but it is certainly creepy. And many cradle of filth songs might be considdered depressing like her ghost in the fog.

I find that listening to depressing music actually cheers me up a lot of the time god knows why.

Also i agree that it's good to aknowledge the somewhat less happy side of life because most of life is not happy and you can't ignore it. People get depressed, it's a fact of life, plus it makes a good song.

-Listy-
08-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I dont find The Cure depressing, one of my fave bands though.

Now Joy Division, they're really good, but really depressing imo, reading some of the lyrics, feels like your taking a trip through Ian Curtis's mind.

Stoic
08-01-2005, 06:19 PM

Sure it's depressive to realize that the creators of a master piece (and not only of course) called Seventh Son of a Seventh Son have gone downhill and reached their lowest level :p

The weird thing about the so called depressive music is that although it targets on making people feel sad it works conversely in a cathartic way when the listener is actually depressed. I've experienced this myself and if memory serves me well, I read in a My Dying Bride interview that a lot of people find the music - however depressing it is - helpful and decided not to commit suicide.

Alice in Chains and Nevermore sound depressive to me.

Mexican Bandito
08-01-2005, 06:20 PM
it honestly depends on what kind of mood i'm in...

Kage
08-01-2005, 06:21 PM
I generally like music that is considered depressing, and I like to feel sad when I'm listening to it, because it's kind of an escape. Most of the music I regularly listen to could actually be considered depressing in some form of the word.

Shattered_Future
08-01-2005, 06:28 PM
It depends if it sounds good or not. If it's depressing, and it sounds good, I'll listen to it. However, if I don't like the way it sounds, i don't listen to it.

Generally, though, I like more songs in minor keys.

ATM
08-01-2005, 06:30 PM
I like to listen to a good mix of different types of music.

Somedays its all happy music, some days all sad, etc

anotherlamenobody
08-01-2005, 06:41 PM
I like depressing music as long as it has a purpose. There's some bands that make depressing music just to satisfy the needs of overdramatic preteens and to make themselves look "dark" and "serious", while others make it as a valid artistic expression. As long as any music is true to what the musician feels and isn't a front they put up, I'll enjoy it, depressing music is no exception.

Plus, depressing music helps me write. The more depression, the more eloquence.

Sleeper
08-01-2005, 06:44 PM
I never thought of some music as depressing, but sad or very emotional i do enjoy listening too.

rata
08-02-2005, 04:17 AM
i like jeff buckley, most or all of his songs is as depressing as he is....

he tried swimming through his depressions and came out dead........

KBSD91
08-02-2005, 04:25 AM
Jar of Flies and Alice in Chains-Alice in Chains

Any Alice in Chains album is depressing.

But yeah I like depressing, happy, angry, albums.

Mr. Black
08-02-2005, 04:25 AM
I like a lot of Nirvana, if you count that depressing

cicatriz
08-02-2005, 04:45 AM
I don't understand it when people call music depressing, and claim to enjoy listening to it. If it was depressing, wouldn't it make you feel miserable, and not enjoy listening to it?

Drugstep
08-02-2005, 05:45 AM
I like sad music better than upbeat rock stuff usually, because, though the upbeat stuff is good for a ride in a car, when i listen to music in bed at night I like something sad, dark, emotional, etc.

rata
08-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Limp bizkit and linkin park is very depressing..................

repcak
08-02-2005, 07:15 AM
i like listen to depressing music, but it all depends on how i feel right now, my emotions and my mood.
all in one there are 2 main types of music i listen to:
#1: thrash/death-metal when i am aggressive or at normal days
#2: doom-metal, and depressive music like nin, type-o-negative or even film-music (one million dollar hotel, blade runner -> the soundtracks are very depressive) when i am depressive and i don't wanna hear fast music (see #1)

and only from time to time i listen to normal music which is neither fast,brutal, aggressive, nor depressive....

Tommy-r
08-02-2005, 07:19 AM

October Rust and World Coming Down - both by Type O-

TheBlueBaron
08-02-2005, 07:29 AM
I enjoy listening to music that has real emotion and not just a fake facade that when actually studied holds no meaning. Recently I've been listening to a lot of James Blunt and Dredg. My flatmates don't have the same taste in music as myself, with their tastes mainly lying in the popular music or pop/rock genres, and sometimes I feel that they are missing out on a whole side of music by not listening to depressive or at least emotive songs that have meaning rather than just a catchy tune.

XyleM
08-02-2005, 08:08 AM
I enjoy depressing music, but I have never thought as to why I do. I don't appreciate all depressive music, most of it has to have some sort of instrumental integrity, like Opeth - To Bid You Farewell, before that song goes heavy, that is my favorite song. But I don't know, I like Maynards voice in all of Tool's and moreso APC's depressing songs.

As its always discussed on this board music is subjective, and maybe this is one of the major reasons why it is. Some people may turn to music to calm down, and reflect, others may turn to it to get pumped up before big matches etc.

Mother
08-02-2005, 10:34 AM
I love depressing music maybe my favorite "depressing band" is Katatonia they are awesome.

Fu<k yeah,

Another depressing bands are Paradise Lost, Agalloch, Opeth and Anathema

Majenta
08-02-2005, 10:50 AM
I guess you have to make sure you distinguish 'depressing' from evocative or just generally emotional... music can be moving and stirring without actually being depressing... but then whether it is depressing or not is surely totally subjective? If it doesn't depress you... then it's not depressing...

repcak
08-02-2005, 10:53 AM
yeah, Anathema is great... especially the 'silent enigma' album

Brewer14
08-02-2005, 11:06 AM
If Im in a depressed mood I do. The music I listen to depends on my mood most of the time.

Shadius
08-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I enjoy connecting with songs, and if they happen to contain depressing themes or lyrics then they do. Everyone's been through depressing times, no matter how brief, and if a song lets you feel it, then you can find it enjoyable.

Unhappy_poet/bassist
08-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Girls suck. When I'm crying about them, a little bit of Cradle followed by a sonnete poem takes the pain away.

BringHomeTheBacon
08-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I like depressing music but only in small doses. You can't listen to depressing music all the time, or you'll end up down on yourself all the time and wind up with depression or something. After I listen to something like Weezer's Pinkerton, it's good for me to listen to something happy, like Weezer's Blue Album :thumb:.

3FingeredHoek
08-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Well I like some depressing music, but not because it's depressing. I like it and it just happens to be depressing. It's the same thing with happy music.

mr qwerty
08-04-2005, 04:18 PM
the eels r good and i wud say they r depressin

slash10
08-04-2005, 06:18 PM
nah i dont really like depressing music

clairvoyant
08-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Yes I do. I dunno why it just kinda appeals. I never listen to depressing music when I am depressed though...

Cipher Hour
08-04-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't enjoy listening to it on a daily basis, but from time to time it's nice. A band that does nothing BUT depressing music is a bit stale though.

SlapnPop
08-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I like some of the depressing songs if they have a topic I can relate to. Same goes for any other song mood.

StormRider VS IronMan
08-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Yes I do. I listen to "depressive" music maybe 3 hours per day. It is a part of my life listening to bands like Opeth, Paradise Lost, My dying Bride, Theatre of Tragedie, Anathema, Senteced etc.
Somehow it makes me feel happier the rest of the day.I think that if I was listeng to punk or pop I wouldnt fell better than i am. :)

perry589
08-11-2005, 04:01 PM
i like depressive music and listen to it regularly. Like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, some Nirvana, some Pearl Jam, some Mark Lanegan stuff, QOTSA-middle part of SFTD can be depressing. depressive music is differnet from the (at the moment) happy/ love songs.

Stevie
08-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Attempting to explain abnormal behavior suggests that we all must conform to the majority of society, rather than seeing that people may be different to one another.

led enema
08-11-2005, 04:37 PM
not much especially if its really slow and drags

Emmy23
08-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Depressing music is the best. That's not to say I don't enjoy a mindless diddy from time to time but nothing like depressing music.

Alessandro
08-11-2005, 04:51 PM
What I donīt like is what I call "poser depressing music", you know, those bands that only care about looking "creepy" and "depressing". I think that depressing songs must have a message behind it, something that makes you think about life. But I also listen to a lot of upbeat stuff, like Jack Johnson.

Trivium
08-11-2005, 05:12 PM
despise it

when im sad, listen to happy music to pick me up
when im happy, still listen to happy music

Late at night ill listen to calmer stuff that can sound depressing, but I really listen to mostly upbeat stuff

Mother_Of_Abominations
08-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I love depressing music, if anything makes me emotional or if any song expresses an emotion, it's a good song.

Freezing Moon
08-11-2005, 06:39 PM
I like a lot of depressing music. Especially Doom Metal and depressive Black Metal.

Like Leper Affinity mentioned, the US has quite a good depressive Black Metal scene. Xasthur in particular stands out to me as extremely depressive.

Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions is very sad and depressing sounding also. It is excellent. :)

I want to look into some more Funeral Doom. The closest thing I've really heard is Nortt, which is Black Funeral Doom.

Otherside
08-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Music without emotion is worthless. Unless you are moved or emotionally impacted, it is empty. In that, sadness is just as much as an emotion as any other. In other words, yes, I do enjoy "depressing music" because it causes you to feel something.

Drazinus
08-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Yea, I guess I do, but really any music that when you listen to it you know the musicians who made it were really feeling something. And, for some reason, I can't really name any bands right now, but there are a lot that I listen to that make me feel that way.

[-Draz-]

TheCrimsonKing
08-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Fallen Angel and Starless by King Crimson (from the album RED) are rather "emotion" fillled songs. They are somewhat depressing.

yes I enjoy what you would call depressing music but I balance it with slightly more "upbeat" music

primal.breath
08-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Don't really like depressing songs, slow songs are okay, as long as they don't try to bring you down.

halfdeadhippo
08-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Nevermore's "Dreaming Neon Black". Even more so if you realize that it's based on how the singer's girlfriend left him one day to join a drug cult and never be seen again. That's just the lyrics. The music itself is pretty melancholy as well.

blackthorne
08-12-2005, 06:40 AM
i love depressing songs metallica - call of ktulu is so depressing IMO

Child of the Grave
08-12-2005, 07:11 AM
i just rekon happy music is so cheesy sometimes. and depressing music hits home better. thats the only way i can describe my opinion.

vintage
08-12-2005, 07:37 AM
i like to listen to depressing music. if a song makes you feel sad, i think it means that you feel kind of the same emotion that the songwriter felt when het wrote it.

i think my dying bride has a real depressive tone in there music. and a few bands from the grunge era

I must say there are also a few bands who really try to sound depressive but it just sucks.....cough*simple plan*cough... that kind of music justs makes me feel sick..

the2stranger
08-12-2005, 09:23 AM
I love depressive music.
I think sadness is an emotion which along with all it's ngative aspects carries along utmost beauty.

MDB for teh win.

Dried Muffin Remnants
08-12-2005, 10:56 AM
No, not really. Radiohead's "Creep" is a great song if you wanna call it depressing.

The lyrics may be a bit depressing, but the music itself isn't all that depressing.

Want depressing? Listen to Alice in CHains or Mad Season. Layne Staley seems to bring the "depressing" aspect everywhere he goes.

Ulysses
08-12-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm not into depressing songs, I prefer something that inspires and uplifts my soul. Pink Floyd and the Beatles are great at that, just to name a few.

Dried Muffin Remnants
08-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Pink Floyd isn't exactly pump-up music, though. They aren't depressing but they have that atmospheric mood sound that is related to depressing music.

Kronos
08-12-2005, 02:43 PM
I agree with Shattered Future's earlier comment about preferring music in minor keys to major ones.
I am surprised no-one has mentioned Sisters Of Mercy - a lot of their music has depressing lyrics in minor keys.

Daven
08-12-2005, 02:49 PM
The Opeth's last cd, ****ation is a great depressive album. I like evry single song on that cd, but besides Opeth's mellow work i dont listen too much depressive music... :thumb:

Adore
08-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I enjoy very much depressing music. I don't personally have to feel depressed while listening to it, in fact I rarely do, for me it's just a way to forget everything else for a moment. I find it very therapeutic, enrichening, and in my opinion melancholic music is the most beautiful music there is.

My favourites of that type are Interpol, Eels, Paradise Lost, The Cure and HIM, but there are many others greats as well.

pnkrckprincess
09-24-2005, 12:04 AM
For me, certain music can be really depressing if you can find a way to relate it to your own life. Since my life sucks, its not that hard.

whee.

a good depressing song is brick. by ben folds

blue3
09-24-2005, 12:08 AM
I like to listen to alot of Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam and bands like that. So yeah, I like listening to 'depressing music'.

Moses
09-24-2005, 12:55 AM
For me, certain music can be really depressing if you can find a way to relate it to your own life. Since my life sucks, its not that hard.

whee.

a good depressing song is brick. by ben folds
What's so bad about it?

Your life can't suck without your consent.

*blackpearl*
09-24-2005, 07:19 PM
depends on my mood

BludgeonySteve
09-24-2005, 07:27 PM
It depends on the song. I don't just listen to depressing music so that I feel bad, obviously.

Permanent Solution
09-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Moonlight Sonata.

One of my favorite songs ever.

SSSnake...
09-24-2005, 08:52 PM
In an ironic twisted sort of a way, I get a comfort sometimes feeling like **** or hitting bottom. Forgive me for quoting Kurt Cobain! but

"I miss the comfort in being sad"

So yeah, I like depressing music.

maggot4875
09-24-2005, 09:15 PM
audioslave-i am the highway seems liek a depressing song.but i dont listen to depressing songs cause im depressed,i just listen to it because i liek the band or song.so regardless of any emotion im feeling usually,all just listen to it cause i feel like listenign to that artist.

loathed
09-24-2005, 11:11 PM
i love listening to depressing songs. ironically, specially when im really down. you know youre down and depressed, but you still have the urge to listen to it, although you know that its gonna make you worse. weird.

Audiopond
09-24-2005, 11:28 PM
I do. I dunno why, but I do.

RiceMonster
09-24-2005, 11:41 PM
I really enjoy depressive black metal, so yes, I do like depressing music. I'm not in general a happy person, so I feel I can conect with it more.

TheSeeker625
09-24-2005, 11:54 PM
People like depressing music because it's cathartic. It's the same reason people watch a horror movie, misery loves company, and Macbeth is such a great play. The connection in all of these things is that they purge you of your emotions, thus comforting you.

ween2424
09-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Alice in Chains
Days of the New
Staind
A Perfect Circle
Crowbar
Jerry Cantrell

morrissey
09-25-2005, 12:12 AM
I don't enjoy depressing music, but it can fit a certain mood. Stuff like Joy Division and Elliott Smith - they aren't enjoyable acts, but they are appropriate in certain settings.

Some bands that are supposed to be depressing is quite enjoyable to me though - The Cure, the Smiths, Depeche Mode, New Order to a certain extent - it isn't wallowing music.

lak89
09-25-2005, 12:22 AM
occasionally i listen to depressing stuff, there's nothing wrong with that

mschanandlerbong
09-25-2005, 12:26 AM
i think nirvana is the best depressing music

Joe
09-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Everyone thinks I'm depressed because my favorite song is Fade to Black by Metallica. It seems that all the depressing songs have so much more soul in them than others, especailly when it comes out through not just the writer but all the players (like in fade to black and a few other depressing songs). I don't like depressing music in general, but a good handful are very good (and anyways, the lyrics rarely say anything about how I feel)

repcak
09-25-2005, 03:52 AM
"I miss the comfort in being sad"
that's so ****ing true! i even don't feel comfortable when there is at least one week where i am in a good humour all the time! then i miss my depressive and sad side.

/i'm missing the darkness (too much light in last few weeks :upset: )

HazMan
09-25-2005, 04:04 AM
I think all music is necessary to give you a view of mentality, it is essential to me as a source of inspiration to refer to in certain situations. It may sound like crap lol but it works for me, if i can hear a song and in the right time think about a lyric present i can use the knowledge. Anyone else use music or film this way?

repcak
09-25-2005, 04:08 AM
yes i do.
music, films and books

AA-12
09-25-2005, 04:10 AM
I absolutely love sad and depressing music.

sdmfinada
03-20-2006, 12:36 AM
every once in a while i get in a sort of depressed music mood...but i use to listen to it all the time...that's when dream theater came along and slapped me in the face. the thing about music is a lot of rock and metal bands write depressing moods or lyrics and everyone sort of gets used to that. but i found the story lines really cool and imaginative for me, instead of dark and sad. I mean why set around and mope about everything. the way i have learned to live is to see the positives instead of negatives. your only here for one lifetime, might as well learn how to enjoy it and take it for what its worth. yeah life deals out some ****ty hands sometimes, get some big boy britches on and suck it up. ive seen television shows on t.v. where there are people much worse off then most people here in the U.S. and they are a hell of a lot happier because they don't take everything for granted! but i do get depressed sometimes and it sucks *** thats when bands like Dream Theater come in to save the day, and rush is a good band to. just go out and open up to new and exciting music that brings out those good emotions, everyone has them you just have to find a way to bring them to life.
:chug:

I'm Charming
03-20-2006, 12:39 AM
I enjoy music with darker lyrics and heavy/dark sound quite a bit.

penelope weird hands
03-20-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm a sucker for 'depressing' music.
Buckley, Pumpkins, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Tori Amos and any classical music, do it best for me.

I agree with those that have said it is cathartic to listen to.
That is the paradox of depressing music.

One generally feels a lift if they're sad, and listening to sad music.
And when sad songs are done well that is when one gains the ultimate connection with an artist and, through empathy, can open their hearts and minds up enough to move through a depressive phase still feeling whatever wounds, but being healed, simultaneously.

*tried hard not to sound pretentious, possibly failed*

Invicta_Veritas
03-20-2006, 02:01 AM
I prefer to dwell in my darkened corner, wallowing in the self pity of hardships in life, engrossed by the black abyss that surrounds the halo of my existence.......................

Slapping Penguin
03-20-2006, 02:05 AM
I liek depressing moving metal when I am happy. Not because it makes me sad but in those moments it makes you happy. You feel the music and its dark mood and you feel so happy to know that you are happy. For someone its beautiful when life is good beacuse you know after the song that you are not their and its like a short holiday.

Clunge
03-20-2006, 02:09 AM
Not so much depressing music but darker, lurky music. Recently, stuff like Opeth.

The middle of Muse's Origin of Symmetry gets quite dark/depressive, Micro Cuts onwards.

=-fukifiknow-=
03-20-2006, 02:17 AM
if you want to call opeth and pink floyd depressing music, abso-fvcking-lutly

Mother
03-20-2006, 02:22 AM
I like Depressing / Dark music ... I listen to katatonia/My dying bride etc..

Any Recommendations?

rata
03-20-2006, 04:21 AM
all of cold's albums are very moody...

Werny
03-20-2006, 05:11 AM
I love "depressing music" because of it's dark and melancholic nature, I don't find it sad or depressing. Nortt is an example; he proclaims that his slow, torturous Doom is meant to make people, well, kill themselves. I find his music incredibly atmospheric, dark, heavy and powerful, that's why I love it.

Apocalyptic Raids
03-20-2006, 05:45 AM
Sometimes I enjoy depressing music.

Stoo
03-20-2006, 06:21 AM
I like depressing music when I'm depressed. Or in the morning when I want to listen to music, but not really loud music.

Concubine
03-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Depressing isn't the same as atmospheric, right? I like to listen to bands such isis or a perfect circle when i'm not in the mood for up-beat songs.. And oh, elliott smith...:thumb:

repcak
03-20-2006, 07:13 AM
recently i realized that i get depressive when i listen to sad music, even if i feel ok. that's a problem cause i have to stop listen to my favourites bands and listen to more happier bands like CoB, Hypocrisy :lol:

Invicta_Veritas
03-20-2006, 11:19 AM
all of cold's albums are very moody...

That's because Scooter is like a manic-depressive wierdo :thumb:

<<<<<<<<likes Cold

iliketoplaydrums10111
03-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Depends on my mood

I can go from listening to Katatonia to like Catch 22 or somthing ska.

!MuDvAyNiAn!
03-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I do like depressing music but it really comes down to what mood u are in

JamJar
03-20-2006, 02:37 PM
I love depressing music. Conveying deep emotion is one of the biggest factors I look into for music. Would you call Undertow by Pain Of Salvation depressing or just sheer desperation?