PDA

View Full Version : A Home For The Oceanborn: The Nightwish Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Shattered_Future
07-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Seeing as how there isn’t one large Nightwish thread for fans to discuss the band, and since Nightwish are one of my favorite bands, I have taken it upon myself to do a writeup for one of the most original and brilliant bands of our generation.

Nightwish

Members:
Currently:

Marco Hietala - Bass/Vocals
Marco is Tarja’s harmony: gruff to her cleanness. Marco has a more traditional power metal voice...it conveys emotion just as well, though in a more evil way. His voice is truly a sound to hear...it adds a whole other dimension to the band’s music. As well as backing vocals, he also has the distinction of being the band’s bassist. Although he follows along with the guitar on most of their songs, you can actually HEAR the bass, which is a rarity in modern music.

Emppu Vuorinen - Guitars
Emppu is a severely underrated guitarist. He can belt out tremendous riffs, and his solos are as good as any other guitarist of today. He can shred among the best of them, and his playing is full of emotion.

Tuomas Holopainen - Keyboards/Synths
Tuomas is not only one of the most essential parts of any power/symphonic metal band, he also has the award of being the band’s composer, having composed almost all of their material. Even after 5+ albums, he still has brilliant ideas in his head. The evolution of their music is present in his composing abilities: Angels Fall First was their most folky, Oceanborn was their most power-metalish, Wishmaster added symphonic elements while still keeping the power metal elements, Century Child added even more symphonicness, and Once was their most symphonic release yet. He can compose epic power metal masterpieces, truly beautiful ballads, and everything in between. Put anybody else in his place, and Nightwish would have crashed and burned. However, he has the ability to place Nightwish at the top of the pack.

Jukka Nevalainen - Drums/Percussion
Another sorely underrated member of the band, Jukka is a terrific drummer. He can play double bass like nobody’s business, and he alternates drum beats so quickly, at times it seems as if he has 6 or 7 limbs. He adds a great beat to great songs, making them even greater.

Other members:
Sami Vanska - Bass (he left before Century Child)
Although Sami didn’t stand out much, he did his part. He played great bass riffs, and they were audible, which was even better. Even though he left, he helped shape Nightwish.

Tarja Turunen - Lead Vocals (kicked out in 2005)
Tarja is arguably one of the best singers of our generation. Her voice has unsurpassed emotion, and she can hit amazing highs. Her voice is a bit different than vocalists in a normal band...she has an operatic soprano voice singing along with power/symphonic metal music. Some may say her voice is too trained; I say psssh to them. Without Tarja, the band would NOT be the band they are today.

Discography:
Angels Fall First (1997)
Oceanborn (1998)
Wishmaster (2000)
From Wishes To Eternity *live album/DVD* (2001)
Over The Hills And Far Away *EP* (2001)
Century Child (2002)
End Of Innocence *DVD* (2003)
Once (2004)
Greatest Hits *soon to be released*

Nightwish got their start in the summer of 1996, around a campfire. Tuomas was camping with a few friends, and he dreamed up the idea of the band. The band (who, at the time, were Tarja, Emppu, and Tuomas) entered the studio at the end of 1996 to record a few acoustic songs. Jukka entered the band in 1997, and the band became more metal-oriented with the addition of the drums and an electric guitar. They recorded 7 songs in April of 1997. Soon after, the band signed a recording contract with Spinefarm for a 2 record deal. Nightwish entered the studio again in August to record 4 new songs. Angels Fall first was released in November of 1997, and didn’t make too much progress on the charts (the highest it ever got was 31st in Finland).
Their first show was played on December 31st of 1997.

(Interesting fact - Nightwish only played 7 shows in the following winter owing to the fact that Jukka and Emppu were in the army)

At this time, Nightwish had no bassist. Luckily, in the summer of 1998, Sami Vanska joined the band on bass, and the band entered the studio once again to begin recording songs for their new album. This album, entitled Oceanborn, was released on December 7th of 1998. Suprisingly, the album was a success, landing 5th on the official Finnish album charts. The album’s single, Sacrament Of Wilderness, was number 1 for weeks. The album went gold in August.

Nightwish went back into the studio in 2000, having renewed their contract with Spinefarm the previous year for one more record. (Interesting fact - During this period, the band took part in the Eurovision Song Contest, to take a break from the repetitiveness of recording. They entered their song Sleepwalker, and placed second in the final round despite overwhelming results.) Their new album, entitled Wishmaster, was a huge hit. It went straight to number 1 on the charts, and stayed there for 3 weeks. During this period, the album went gold. The band went on a world tour to promote their album, and they cite it as one of the best experiences they’ve ever had.

Nightwish’s next project was their live DVD and cd, only available in Finland. They recorded this on December 29, 2000, and it was released in April of 2001. The band then went into the studio in March to record the 4 song EP Over The Hills And Far Away. In addition, they extended their record deal with Spinefarm for one more full length album. Nightwish almost disbanded after this. Tuomas cited their were prolonged disagreements with him and the band, and they had to change. Luckily, the band didn’t disband.

However, bassist Sami Vanska had to leave the band, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. His replacement was none other than Marco Hietala, of Tarot and Sinergy fame, among others. (Interesting fact - to celebrate what the band called their “new beginning”, the official Nightwish-Shop was opened on the band’s homepage, which is home to a bunch of quality Nightwish products.) Recording of their new album, Century Child, began in January of 2002.

Century Child came out in May of 2002. It was a bit different then their previous albums: it was a LOT more symphonic, favoring a more emotional sound to their more powermetalish sound of earlier albums. However, the album didn’t disappoint...it sold gold in Finland within 2 HOURS! Within 2 weeks, it had sold platinum. Century Child ended up being Finland’s 2nd best selling album.

Nightwish’s new DVD End Of Innocence was released on October 6, 2003. (Interesting fact - The president of Finland took note of Nightwish’s success, and invited Tarja and her husband Marcelo Cabuli to the annual independence-day party held at his manor. Tarja’s dress was voted the most beautiful dress that evening). The band had already started recording for their new album, Once (arguably one of their most important albums). The band had a new distribution contract: they were now being distributed by Nuclear Blast, though Spinefarm still distributed them in Finland. Once was released in 2004, and went gold the day of its release. This album was arguably their most popular, selling hundreds of thousands of copies. The album also saw a change for the band...they were at their most symphonic. The band recorded with a full orchestra and chorus.

In the 4th quarter of 2005 (I think), Tarja and Nightwish came to a parting. Tarja was kicked out, and the band is currently looking for a new singer.

And finally, the part most of you have been waiting for...Uploads!!!

From Angels Fall First:
*I do not yet have this album...if anybody would like to upload songs from here, feel free to*

From Oceanborn:
hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0PTNDUO12BH703NNLZUO010C1D
Devil And The Deep Dark Ocean
A personal favorite of mine, this is a more driving song. Great drumbeats throughout, and the deep male vocals on this song are great

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2D1G5ZEO3VQFC2EE52OM948T75
Gethsemane
Brilliant guitar, brilliant piano, brilliant vocals...just a plain brilliant song

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0FPQEGFJWKH13V3NYKM75IMZ7
Sacrament Of Wilderness
The band's single. Features a few good riffs and great vocals

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=26X8VGL8RGFI91F20KDILS8BBI
Sleeping Sun
A hidden track, and one of the best Nightwish...hell, one of the best BALLADS ever recorded. The last part is sheer emotion. Don't miss it

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1OYT5ROIRTL0801BKB6C4CNPU
The Pharaoh Sails To Orion
The best track on the album. Great piano/drums, and reason to silence those who say Emppu is a so so guitar player.

From Wishmaster:
Crownless
hxxp://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1TSLPMFFLDWO023SFPZU58YEQM
One of Nightwish's best...has one of the most memorable intro riffs ever

Dead Boy's Poem
hxxp://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1V9ZXBHB02Y3A1MF5U5MF8APO3
Another ballad, this one is a bit heavier, yet still haunting

Fantasmic
hxxp://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1M03OYYT4IZCJ1FNLDTIL8ZOYC
The "epic" song on the album. Has some great riffs in it.

The Kinslayer
hxxp://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0VQQAALSIOO611AKTYTGSSOVOL
One of the band's singles (i think). Has a great intro with an odd time signature.

Wanderlust
hxxp://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0KHZ1NGXYRQN51IG1NOGOYYN6V
A personal favorite. Has a beautiful chorus and intro

Wishmaster
hxxp://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3PJZ2887PE2ZL2SATZW8VPSQTU
A great track, features the 3 note single picked gallop (or whatever Steerpike said =P)

Enjoy. :thumb:

If anybody has any songs they thought I omitted and should have uploaded, or any rare Nightwish material, don't hesitate to upload it.

LOOK TO POST 19 FOR REST OF UPLOADS

Mr. Squiggles
07-31-2005, 07:50 PM
I haven't listened to Nightwish much but what I have heard I like. I'll definatly check out the uploads when they are up.

Sweet thread btw.

White Goodman
07-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Nice write-up. Looking foward to the uploads, haven't heard much by Nightwish. They sound like a band I would be willing to get into.

Drugstep
07-31-2005, 07:54 PM
*Gagging Orger steps in, because he wants to take advantage of uploads and because Shattered Future always posts in his threads*

I'm new to NightWish, and I've only heard Planet Hell and I wish I had an Angel. I thought I wsih I had an Angel was annoying, but I loved Planet Hell. Definately a band I'm trying to get into. Tarja's voice is very pretty. I don't like Marco's much; reminds me too much of the guy from The Cult.

Nice thread, and interesting facts.

Kage
07-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Nice thread. It's certainly no surprise to see a Nightwish thread coming from you. :p.

I like Nightwish a lot, but I've been more into After Forever since I got into them.

Txus
07-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Nigtwish are an amazing band with a hot vocalist of course, she has such an amazing voice my favorite song at the moment by them is "She is my sin" .

Self Titled Bassist
07-31-2005, 08:10 PM
hey just heard of these guys like a couple days ago, i really dont like the singers voice for the genre, sounds to opretic to me, but ^ yah shes hot. crimson tide is a sick song though

Steerpike
07-31-2005, 08:13 PM
hey just heard of these guys like a couple days ago, i really dont like the singers voice for the genre, sounds to opretic to me, but ^ yah shes hot. crimson tide is a sick song though

Actually, it's very common for power metal vocalists to have theatrical training.

Nice work, Shattered. Let's hope this time the thread will stay on the front page for more than a few hours.

IheartSP
07-31-2005, 08:15 PM
I've heard Nemo and Wishmaster. The vocals kinda bother me, but so do Sinergy's. The reason I listen to Sinergy and not Nightwish is because they have awesome guitar, which I would say Nightwish does not. Their keyboard overshadows the guitar too much.

Self Titled Bassist
07-31-2005, 08:15 PM
^ well when the only metal u listen to is maiden metallica and dream theater, its heard to find theatrical singers

edit: to steerpike

Steerpike
07-31-2005, 08:16 PM
^ well when the only metal u listen to is maiden metallica and dream theater, its heard to find theatrical singers

Bruce is actually trained in musical theater in opera. He blends it with metal stylings to create his arena-worthy trademark vibrato.

And LaBrie is classically trained as well.

Drugstep
07-31-2005, 08:17 PM
I've heard Nemo and Wishmaster. The vocals kinda bother me, but so do Sinergy's. The reason I listen to Sinergy and not Nightwish is because they have awesome guitar, which I would say Nightwish does not. Their keyboard overshadows the guitar too much.
The guitar in NightWish is fine, though probably not as good as Sinergy, but Kimberly Goss is badass, so STFU and GTFO. :p

I'm joking about the STFU and GTFO part. It's all good.

flamesofbodom
07-31-2005, 08:18 PM
This thread is great and its one of the few that ive actually read. Great job, cant wait for uploads.

IheartSP
07-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Well Nightwish from what I have heard, isn't very focused on leads, and their rythyms don't get much spotlight behind the keyboard. I'm more interested in catchy riffs leads and solos than backing powerchords.

Self Titled Bassist
07-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Bruce is actually trained in musical theater in opera. He blends it with metal stylings to create his arena-worthy trademark vibrato.

And LaBrie is classically trained as well.
i did not kno that, thanx for the info

Steerpike
07-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Well Nightwish from what I have heard, isn't very focused on leads, and their rythyms don't get much spotlight behind the keyboard. I'm more interested in catchy riffs leads and solos than backing powerchords.

Most of the melody is carried by vocals. Emppu does most of his work in rhythm, and he has a very driving style of riffs. He also does pull off some impressive solos. He can shred if he so chooses, but doesn't shy away from a slower melody.

This may sound a little hokey, but a lot of Emppu's solos give me the impression of howling winds. And when he does choose to speed up, he seems to take a Brian May approach and create a sound that makes you wonder if that's really a guitar playing, or if it's just being harmonized with other instruments.

And he can play more than just back powerchords. :rolleyes: Wishmaster for example uses a galloping triplet single-note melody.

flamesofbodom
07-31-2005, 08:30 PM
And he can play more than just back powerchords. :rolleyes: Wishmaster for example uses a galloping triplet single-note melody.
I thought that Wishmaster using a galloping triplet single-note melody was just me. :p Im actually right!

Hells Bells
07-31-2005, 08:35 PM
haha I thought I'd see you do something on Nightwish :p
Great thread by the way, I like how you've put in descriptions of the band members. Do you have any of the acoustic stuff they recorded in the beginning? It would be interesting to see what they did before they became metal.

Shattered_Future
07-31-2005, 09:15 PM
haha I thought I'd see you do something on Nightwish :p
Great thread by the way, I like how you've put in descriptions of the band members. Do you have any of the acoustic stuff they recorded in the beginning? It would be interesting to see what they did before they became metal.

I wish i did...

Bumped for uploads. More to come...

NOTE: Due to the fact that my first post has over 10000 characters, the remaining uploads will be here

From Over The Hills And Far Away
10th Man Down
hxxp://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3FI1VIT4W075O0SEAD5B2665CH
A good song, featuring many time changes and a deep male voice

Astral Romance
hxxp://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ZL41SP2IJGQ73VHTPGJH66LST
A remade song, it features Tony Kakko (thats right, from Sonata Arctica) on male vocals.

Away
hxxp://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=28OCZQ5R1U04M0717DHBNO2ZJ2
Another beautiful Nightwish ballad. Need i say more?

Over The Hills And Far Away
hxxp://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0W32MVCLC5AVM2V0H3YY575EJ8
A cover of a Gary Moore song, it features great drumming, among other brilliances.

From Century Child
Beauty Of The Beast
hxxp://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1UEJ8D7W7RI4U3GM3QSWJ3OL0X
The album's epic track, clocking in at 10 minutes. Great synths, vocals, guitar...everything a Nightwish song should be.

Bless The Child
hxxp://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3VWAJVOBYNYW80N72Q3WF3CZIC
The album's single. Slow, and beautiful.

Ever Dream
hxxp://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0CXNOTOXHADHK05MFASVZVE1QE
A ballad, though a bit heavier and faster. One of the best tracks on the album.

The Phantom Of The Opera
hxxp://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2YPI021VBW0FW0SF44QFTHIE6L
A cover track, it showcases both singers' extreme talent.

From Once
Dark Chest Of Wonders
hxxp://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=17N4OXU5229Q12ZVRFA9GGFNHZ
A favorite of mine...guess that's why it's here. Great chorus.

Ghost Love Score
hxxp://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2F6FNEF31DFJ328ZSHPIOXLC2P
By far, THE best song Nightwish has done. It makes full use of a complete symphony orchestra...and it's 10 minutes long.

Higher Than Hope
hxxp://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2OGHD96URNDVG1S666P7NG6EO4
This track is...deceptive. All I'm gonna say

Live To Tell The Tale
hxxp://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=09DRPML8SHZGD276IORNZVR8N7
A bonus track on the US version, it has a more traditional power metal vibe to it.

Nemo
hxxp://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2UEMYJXG53RFD1DEUSP37GZVLS
The critically acclaimed single. A ballady track with tons of emotion.

Wish I Had An Angel
hxxp://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=032RIWVRXVU1X2V2RZOJW36YS4
The US single. Marco has a great part in this song.

radianteclipse
07-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Nightwish has been and probably always will be one of my favorite bands. Truly unique band.

Mr. Squiggles
07-31-2005, 09:24 PM
I wish i did...

Bumped for uploads. More to come...

Cool, I download the songs and I'll check them out in the morning. Right now I'm going to bed.

IheartSP
07-31-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm listening to some of those uploads, it is fantastic! I just picked the wrong 2 songs to listen to a while ago I guess. Gathsemane was really good and now I'm listening to Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean. I still don't like the vocals but the symphonicness is great.

Shattered_Future
07-31-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm listening to some of those uploads, it is fantastic! I just picked the wrong 2 songs to listen to a while ago I guess. Gathsemane was really good and now I'm listening to Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean. I still don't like the vocals but the symphonicness is great.

Glad ya like it. :)

One last bump before bed...gnite all.

Drugstep
08-01-2005, 12:18 AM
I'll download those tracks after I get the Pinl FLoyd ones from Ysi thread.

Teh Bump.

402unearthly402
08-01-2005, 12:37 AM
o shiznit, i just googled Tarja Turunen...:naughty:

i cant believe i just used the naughty

Drugstep
08-01-2005, 12:45 AM
I actually intented to do that in the future. I think that's her in S_F's avatar, though.

Not on this computer. Mommy might find out.

OMG SECOND PAGE!!!!111one.

HOw come my threads never get past the first page? :angry:

*will stop spamming, even though the threadstarter doesn't mind the bumping*

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 07:03 AM
I love nihtwish, but all the uploads I already had except about three...bah

interesting to hear more on their history though, cheers, old boy

Shattered_Future
08-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Good morning bump.

Tell ya what guys...here's one of my favorite Tarja pictures (excluding the avatar).

http://www.soniccathedral.com/photosx1/Nightwish%20Pics/pictur9xx.jpg

Taste_My_Scythe
08-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Amazing thread, Mike. Great going! I knew you'd be the first to put up a Nightwish thread. Thanks for the downloads!

Awesome Tarja pic!
Oh, and Tuomas is hot. :D
http://aurinko.krap.pl/relacje/tuomas/tuomas1.jpg

Shattered_Future
08-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Amazing thread, Mike. Great going! I knew you'd be the first to put up a Nightwish thread. Thanks for the downloads!

Awesome Tarja pic!

:amaze:

You're being unfaithful to Alexi! :lol:

My friend looks almost exactly like Emppu in this picture, cept hes about a foot and a half shorter...

http://www.soniccathedral.com/photosx1/Nightwish%20Pics/nightwish3xx.jpg

The guy in the back middle is Emppu.

Taste_My_Scythe
08-01-2005, 09:42 AM
:amaze:

You're being unfaithful to Alexi! :lol:

My friend looks almost exactly like Emppu in this picture, cept hes about a foot and a half shorter...

http://www.soniccathedral.com/photosx1/Nightwish%20Pics/nightwish3xx.jpg

The guy in the back middle is Emppu.

No I'm not! I said he was hot, not fuck worthy. :p
Yeah, I know Emppu. That's cool. He's not bad looking either; esspecially in the Wishmaster booklet. He's so....blonde.....

Shattered_Future
08-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Maybe Emppu's part of the Aryan race. :p

More Nightwish-related media!!

http://www.fabchannel.com

Streaming concert website. Nightwish is almost at the very bottom. Excellent concert from their Century Child tour.

Arucard
08-01-2005, 10:01 AM
I used to really like them, but i have gone of them abit. The gothic fanboism has kinda put me off, but i still give Century Child and Wishmaster a spin occasionally.

I would have to disagree on the drummer point though, after seeing live performances and hearing his stuff, i would have to say his is an average Power Metal drummer.

Good thread man, you worked hard.

Stoic
08-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Very interesting and extremely readable write up with new features (band member's description, interesting facts). Well done, I hope you will do other bands in the near future, bands I actually like :p

Yes, I never really liked nightwish. Tarja's operatic vocals and the band's symphonic character that gives a mainstream/radio touch I dislike have always been a turn off. However, I can certainly see what people find them and there are actually some random songs I enjoy, especially Wish I had an angel.

During this period, the band took part in the Eurovision Song Contest, to take a break from the repetitiveness of recording. They entered their song Sleepwalker, and placed second in the final round despite overwhelming results

haha, here's something you dont hear everyday :p

CaptainWaits
08-01-2005, 11:45 AM
I enjoyed the the write-up Shattered, but I have to come clean, I've never like Nightwish. Actually, there one of my bottom Metal groups. Sorry :upset: , but wstill a great job on the write-up!

Shadows Within
08-01-2005, 11:46 AM
last time i listened to them i thought they sucked but that was before i got into metal so ill try again...

EDIT: i watched to wish i had an angel video and loved it, it grew on me i wouldve been better if they had a solo :upset: im a solo kinda guy.

Stoic
08-01-2005, 11:53 AM
obviously :p *cough* Bodom *cough*

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 11:56 AM
I . The gothic fanboism has kinda put me off.
yes, this is a problem I find, you find people who like nightwish and you mention other PM bands, they stare at you blankly...

Shadows Within
08-01-2005, 11:57 AM
obviously :p *cough* Bodom *cough*
exactly :p woulve benn coll if that guy suprised me and did some kick *** shred solo that was better than alexi then i wouldve bowed down and worshiped them but the lead singer is a gread vocalist but im not into the female singers (even though shes really good) that much. the guitar, drums and bass where very power metalish riff wise. and they had to throw in synth in there to make it even more power metal. iv just gotten into power metal and this band has helped me get onto them even more.

Taste_My_Scythe
08-01-2005, 11:59 AM
yes, this is a problem I find, you find people who like nightwish and you mention other PM bands, they stare at you blankly...

True. I've seen that happen way too many times. Most of the people I try to talk to are like "what's power metal?" :evil:

Shadows Within
08-01-2005, 12:02 PM
True. I've seen that happen way too many times. Most of the people I try to talk to are like "what's power metal?" :evil:
yeah not a lot of people at my school know what it is but they listen to maiden. there not into the european side of metal as much as i am.

Taste_My_Scythe
08-01-2005, 12:03 PM
yeah not a lot of people at my school know what it is but they listen to maiden. there not into the european side of metal as much as i am.

Same here. Long live Euro Metal! \m/

Shattered_Future
08-01-2005, 12:05 PM
American metal, aside from a few key exceptions, is total crap...

The Europeans do it better.

Taste_My_Scythe
08-01-2005, 12:08 PM
American metal, aside from a few key exceptions, is total crap...

The Europeans do it better.

AGREED.

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 12:11 PM
For the most part, American metal is controlled by the record execs, and they don't care about creativity, they care about profit. The recording industry isn't an art, it's a business.

It probably doesn't help that America has a very throw-away mentality. Out with the old, in with the new. They feel no need to preserve anything. Europeans have more preserved traditions to build off of.

Anyway, America did at least turn out some good acts like Dio, Savatage, Death, and Anthrax.

Taste_My_Scythe
08-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Yes, true. There are the exceptions.

Shattered_Future
08-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Anthrax is freaking brilliant...

Some of the older thrash bands were good in their days...Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth...however, the former two just don't know when to stop. They keep churning out music that either hits rock bottom, or sounds like a remake of their older albums.

Some modern American bands that are decent: Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall. Dream Theater? (i put a question after them...i don't know where they're from).

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 12:15 PM
great american metal

iced earth
dream theater
savatage
megadeth
cannibal corpse
morbid angel
diecide
dio
anthrax
nile
danzig
helloween
manowar
kamelot
death

Shattered_Future
08-01-2005, 12:17 PM
So Dream Theater IS from the US...

Crap, how could i forget about Iced Earth?! :evil:

Isn't Nile from the US too?

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 12:19 PM
great american metal

iced earth
dream theater
savatage
megadeth
cannibal corpse
morbid angel
diecide
dio
anthrax

You forgot Death, Manowar, Kamelot, and Danzig.

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 12:22 PM
You forgot Death, Manowar, Kamelot, and Danzig.
hell...I did, I'm adding them

Taste_My_Scythe
08-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Ok. I take it back. I forgot Iced Earth is from the US.

Shadows Within
08-01-2005, 01:43 PM
are there any metal bands from ireland?

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 01:49 PM
It's quite fantastic that Iced Earth didn't stand out as an American band to me after The Glorious Burden. I'm truely and idiot. :upset:

I like Nightwish a lot but I can't listen to them for long periods of time when I'm in certain moods for some reason. I think it might be the vocals, they're not the best thing for me to listen to when I'm down, too perfect. I love them any other time though. Phantom Of The Opera is one of the best covers I've ever heard.

The should start putting Tuomas on the front of magazines. He's waaay hotter than Tarja.

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 01:53 PM
The should start putting Tuomas on the front of magazines. He's waaay hotter than Tarja.
because of you being a girl and not a sweaty male PM fan?

Shadows Within
08-01-2005, 01:56 PM

are u kidding tarja and christina scabbia are hot.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Well yes.

I still think Tarja has a manly jaw.

Stoic
08-01-2005, 02:00 PM
are there any metal bands from ireland?

Thin Lizzy, Primordial, Cruachan. There are more I suppose, metal-archives is your friend :p

How is Tarja live? What does she wear, how does she stand on stage? I get the impression that she...just doesnt fit to a metal show.

Also, I dont like the fact that she's given all the credit and attracks all publicity (mainly because she's a frontwoman) while Tuomas is the mastermind.

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Well yes.

I still think Tarja has a manly jaw.
she might, but I don't think that detracts from her overall beauty :)

oh... I was also going to ask you whether you went to the tall ships at the weekend?
you have msn?

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 02:02 PM
She wears big dresses sometime from what I've seen and stands at the front. She's quite into the whole metal thing though from what I hear, she'll headbang along and go to shows and crap.

I think they focus on Tarja when writing articles because to be honest, mertal mgazines don't often get a chance to print pictures of anything other than sweaty men.

Yeah, I got msn, it's in my profile. I didn't go though, I went to a "pool party" instead. Pool meaning paddling pool.

50MillionYearTrip
08-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Yo man, cool thread, although I haven't heard any but the singer in my band is into them in a big way, she just lent me the CD 'Once' 5 minutes ago and I might put it on soon

What songs should I listen to first? Or isit a whole album in one go listen?

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 02:27 PM
How is Tarja live? What does she wear, how does she stand on stage? I get the impression that she...just doesnt fit to a metal show.

She apparently headbangs better than most men do. She really dresses the part as well.

The coat she wears in this picture (http://www.metal-archives.com/images/39_photo.jpg) was one of her stage outfits for several concerts. But she's also worn flowing gowns, vinyl, and a few other odds and ends.

Also, I dont like the fact that she's given all the credit and attracks all publicity (mainly because she's a frontwoman) while Tuomas is the mastermind.

Actually, when asked about that, Tuomas said that was all part of the plan. He knew she'd attract publicity, and joked, "She's a hell of a lot nicer to look at than us." He seems to be a very behind-the-scenes kind of guy.

Though the DVD the band all know that Nightwish is Tuomas' baby. The DVD they're working on is a catharsis for him, like writing a book of memoirs.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Actually, when asked about that, Tuomas said that was all part of the plan. He knew she'd attract publicity, and joked, "She's a hell of a lot nicer to look at than us." He seems to be a very behind-the-scenes kind of guy.

He lies.

I want that coat though.

Stoic
08-01-2005, 02:32 PM
The coat she wears in this picture was one of her stage outfits for several concerts. But she's also worn flowing gowns, vinyl, and a few other odds and ends.

cant see the picture, metal archives owns me :p

Actually, when asked about that, Tuomas said that was all part of the plan. He knew she'd attract publicity, and joked, "She's a hell of a lot nicer to look at than us." He seems to be a very behind-the-scenes kind of guy

hmm...I see :)

Shadows Within
08-01-2005, 02:33 PM
The coat she wears in this picture (http://www.metal-archives.com/images/39_photo.jpg)

hmmm all i get is a little message in the top left corner saying metal-archives owns you!

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 02:34 PM
she is really cool onstage, well they were only on for 4 songs at download, bugger all bomb threats!

she headbanged and played air guitar, she wore trousers and a white blousey thing

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 02:35 PM
I want that coat though.

Doesn't Tarja link to the company she gets her outfits from in her profile on the site? I'm sure their prices are ungodly expensive, but just saying...

One thing I forgot to mention that I fonud very funny is that Emppu is a Disney fanboy. Disneyworld is one of his favorite vacation spots. And when the band played at the House of Blues there, people who weren't familiar with the band thought that Nemo was about the movie Finding Nemo.

So now there's a joke where fans will go up toward the stage at concerts and throw plushes of the Nemo character up onto the stage.

Det_Nosnip
08-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Nice thread. It's certainly no surprise to see a Nightwish thread coming from you. :p.

I like Nightwish a lot, but I've been more into After Forever since I got into them.

Hehe...I didn't have anything to do with that, did I?

Anyways, nice write-up. You me and Steerpike seem to be competing for the "biggest Nightwish fanboy" award, and this thread might put you in the lead. :(

;)

Cain
08-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Hehe...I didn't have anything to do with that, did I?

Anyways, nice write-up. You me and Steerpike seem to be competing for the "biggest Nightwish fanboy" award, and this thread might put you in the lead. :(

;)

Hmph. You give me no credit. :p

On the other hand, I don't talk about them as much as you guys do.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Doesn't Tarja link to the company she gets her outfits from in her profile on the site? I'm sure their prices are ungodly expensive, but just saying...

One thing I forgot to mention that I fonud very funny is that Emppu is a Disney fanboy. Disneyworld is one of his favorite vacation spots. And when the band played at the House of Blues there, people who weren't familiar with the band thought that Nemo was about the movie Finding Nemo.

So now there's a joke where fans will go up toward the stage at concerts and throw plushes of the Nemo character up onto the stage.

Is he the short hobbit like one? That makes it more amusing than ever.

I can't even afford normal clothes never mind something like that anyway.

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 02:40 PM
I think I still would qualify as MX's official biggest Edguy/Savatage fanboy.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Can I be MX HIM fangirl?

Steerpike
Is he the short hobbit like one? That makes it more amusing than ever.

I can't even afford normal clothes never mind something like that anyway.

Yeah, that'd be Emppu. Funny thing is, I've actually heard a couple people saying he's very charming in person, a real ladies' man. Despite the fact that he's like four feet tall. :p

Lord Abortion
I think I still would qualify as MX's official biggest Edguy/Savatage fanboy.
I am the Iced earth one right?
and cradle of filth

Moses
08-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Savatage is awesome.

Anyway Nightwish is cool too and Tarja even though has a limited range has excellent control.

I can't think of what kind of fanboy I am...... oh yeah, Chopin.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah, that'd be Emppu. Funny thing is, I've actually heard a couple people saying he's very charming in person, a real ladies' man. Despite the fact that he's like four feet tall. :p

My dad knows a guy who looks like hobbit Elijah Wood and he gets all the women. Who would've thought that the hairy feet did it for so many women.

Cain
08-01-2005, 02:44 PM

I always thought he just made himself look like that because he crouches really low to the ground when he's playing. I'm always like, bang your head, dude, and stand up straighter, I can't see you! :p

Plus Emppu has awesome hair. My girlfriend thinks he's a hottie.

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 02:45 PM
I always thought he just made himself look like that because he crouches really low to the ground when he's playing. I'm always like, bang your head, dude, and stand up straighter, I can't see you! :p

You look at their photo-shoots, he's pretty shrimpy. Tarja's taller than him.

Plus Emppu has awesome hair. My girlfriend thinks he's a hottie.

Chicks dig the metal hair.

Moses
08-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Savatage is awesome.

Anyway Nightwish is cool too and Tarja even though has a limited range has excellent control.

Man, owned by the page turn.

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 02:50 PM
You look at their photo-shoots, he's pretty shrimpy. Tarja's taller than him.
ahah... he got owned by Tarja in tallness, that must put a bit of a crimp on his pride

now you know, not all PM legends are 6'6" musclebound warriors

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Can't all be Manowar. I love Manowar, they're so cute.

Cain
08-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Can't all be Manowar. I love Manowar, they're so cute.

Oil and hair on chests makes for a strangely adolescent image, eh?

Shadows Within
08-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Can't all be Manowar. I love Manowar, they're so cute. i thought there hwre ex chippendale dancers

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Eric Adams is another one of the metal dwarves. He's only like 5'4". He still has one of the best screams ever though.

Shadows Within
08-01-2005, 02:55 PM
alexi laiho is prety short too and joey jordinson (SP?)

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Oil and hair on chests makes for a strangely adolescent image, eh?

Yep. They just take themselves so seriously, it's endearing in a puppy dog, 11 year old who thinks he's a ladies man sort of way.

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 02:58 PM
alexi laiho is prety short too and joey jordinson (SP?)

Joey Jordison doesn't count because he can never hope to be in the same league of awesomeness as guys like Ronnie James Dio, Buck Dharma, and Roger Daltry.

Moses
08-01-2005, 03:00 PM
My god is Joey ugly.......

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 03:02 PM
http://www.eric-singer.de/drumboo/assets/images/db_images/db_DB_JJ1.jpg

:eek: Midget! And in those boots as well...

We should probably talk about Nightwish :p

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
dani filth is bloody short

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 03:04 PM
http://www.eric-singer.de/drumboo/assets/images/db_images/db_DB_JJ1.jpg

:eek: Midget! And in those boots as well...

We should probably talk about Nightwish :p

Who the hell is that?

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Joey Jordison apparantly. He certainly looks like him...

Det_Nosnip
08-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Savatage is awesome.

Yeah, her range is pretty average, but her tone is impeccable and she is bloody accurate as hell. She pulls more out of those 2 1/2 octaves than alot of people do with 4!

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 03:08 PM

He is one ugly sum'bitch. Joey, put the mask back on for god's sake!

Det_Nosnip
08-01-2005, 03:08 PM

Man, he's weird looking. And, for the record....no, he is not a good drummer. Not at all. *hopes not to start that whole thing up again*

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Man, he's weird looking. And, for the record....no, he is not a good drummer. Not at all. *hopes not to start that whole thing up again*

Well, since we should be discussin Nightwish, how about this:

Joey Jordison is a really overrated drummer. Jukka kicks ass though.

Jukka is also cooler because instead of looking like some lame slasher movie villain, he looks like a pirate.

Moses
08-01-2005, 03:10 PM
He's okay, sloppy as hell but alot better than alot of drummers today. Definately overrated.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, since we should be discussin Nightwish, how about this:

Joey Jordison is a really overrated drummer. Jukka kicks ass though.

Jukka is also cooler because instead of looking like some lame slasher movie villain, he looks like a pirate.

Is he the pirate one then? Awesome.

All of you should listen to Phantom Of the Opera covered by Nightwish if you haven't. That's what got me into them when I accidentally downloaded that instead of the broadway version.

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 03:13 PM
http://www.cradleoffilth.com/cof/Live/Live2005/Euro_tour_05_01.JPG

see the shortarse?

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Is he the pirate one then? Awesome.

To make it simple:

Tuomas is the sorcerer.
Tarja is the woman.
Emppu is the dwarf.
Marco is the Viking.
Jukka is the pirate.

All of you should listen to Phantom Of the Opera covered by Nightwish if you haven't. That's what got me into them when I accidentally downloaded that instead of the broadway version.

Heh. Bet that one was unexpected.

Stoic
08-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Here are some interesting facts about Tarja/Nightwish taken from a Metal Hammer interview (not the exact words, roughly translated):

Tarja cant stand places with lots of smoke, noise and loud music especially when they play live the next day. She says her voice is classic so it's much more sensitive than a rocker's voice. Being a woman, she wants to have personal space, something that the guys respect.

The worse thing a fan has done to her: They were playing live in Guadalajahara (Mexico) and some guy passed security, walked behind her, attacked to her and she fell down. She started crying and the show stopped right after.

She receives tons of flowers to the point that the guys complain. In a show she received so many of them that the rest were yelling and saying that the bus got full of bugs :p

She believes appearance is important and she admits that sometimes labels demand from girls to lose some pounds. However, according to her, this is normal and it benefits the band.

Shadows Within
To make it simple:

Tuomas is the sorcerer.
Tarja is the Damsel.
Emppu is the dwarf.
Marco is the Viking.
Jukka is the pirate. no shes the damsel gotta go midievil.

evilmenhavenosongs
My reaction was along the lines of "Woah Andrew Llyod Webber is a lot cooler than I gave him credit for."

Cain
08-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Emppu needs a cooler part than the dwarf. His guitar parts are too monstrous for that.

Steerpike
08-01-2005, 03:18 PM
http://www.cradleoffilth.com/cof/Live/Live2005/Euro_tour_05_01.JPG

see the shortarse?

:lol: He looks like he's squealing and trying to fend off the sparks. Too bad I don't have photoshop or I'd put osme dialog bubbles in there.

Dani: EEEEEEE!!
OTHER PERSON: Now give me your lunch money!

Emppu needs a cooler part than the dwarf. His guitar parts are too monstrous for that.

How about the minstrel? Everyone seems to associate bards and troubadors with blonde for some reason.

Shadows Within
08-01-2005, 03:19 PM
:lol: He looks like he's squealing and trying to fend off the sparks. Too bad I don't have photoshop or I'd put osme dialog bubbles in there.

Dani: EEEEEEE!!
OTHER PERSON: Now give me your lunch money!
yeah i saw him on viva la bam he looks ****ed up and he is short

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 03:24 PM
yeah i saw him on viva la bam he looks ****ed up and he is short
he is an incredible vocalist and amazing live performer, he makes brilliant music, but he is unfortuantely short

the reason he looks fucked up, is that he was probably pissed at the time, like the band are most times

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 03:25 PM
He has appalling teeth. That being said he is a good vocalist, maybe mishapen teeth help with that. ;) And he looks better in his make-up, hard to believe I know.

Shadows Within
08-01-2005, 03:26 PM
he is an incredible vocalist and amazing live performer, he makes brilliant music, but he is unfortuantely short

the reason he looks fucked up, is that he was probably pissed at the time, like the band are most times
no he just looked greasy and i cant stand his vocals the live show at the end of the show was good but i cant stand them. and he dident look angry he was laughing awaqy he just looked greassy and it made his mascara run :p

Det_Nosnip
08-01-2005, 03:28 PM

Not to mention he doesn't have a beard and/or axe!

I wonder who the chick is in that COF pic....Sarah Jesebel Deva, maybe?

Shattered_Future
08-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Gotta love Dani's stage outfits though...

Emppu could be the dwarf...he has an "axe", though not in the traditional sense. :lol:

evilmenhavenosongs
08-01-2005, 05:42 PM
He could be the hobbit? Minus the one ring and homosexual overtones.

Oh and sorry for turning your well thought out thread into a discussion about short people. ;)

Shattered_Future
08-01-2005, 05:59 PM
He could be the hobbit? Minus the one ring and homosexual overtones.

Oh and sorry for turning your well thought out thread into a discussion about short people. ;)

Hey...I got 5 pages. All that mattters. :p

Or he could be the elf...aren't elves supposed to make women swoon? He's certainly got the hair for it...

Mr. Squiggles
08-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Well I finaly chck out the songs and they are awsome. Tarja has such an amazing voice. I can now add Nightwish to the list of my favorite bands.

Shattered_Future
08-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Well I finaly chck out the songs and they are awsome. Tarja has such an amazing voice. I can now add Nightwish to the list of my favorite bands.

Ah, my job is going well... :)

I converted SOME people.

Mr. Squiggles
08-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Ah, my job is going well... :)

I converted SOME people.

Yeah, if it weren't for this thread I probably wouldn't have listened to them. I never really liked bands with female vocals. I guess Evenesence turned me off to that. But Tarja can really sing.

Lord Abortion
08-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Not to mention he doesn't have a beard and/or axe!

I wonder who the chick is in that COF pic....Sarah Jesebel Deva, maybe?
nah, just random girls they have onstage with angle grinders...
sarah is way too fat anyway :lol:

Hells Bells
08-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Savatage is awesome.

:lol: same here, I was practicing the other day and realized that almost all of the songs I was learning were by Chopin. I started writing a song and realized it sounded hell of a lot like his Nocturnes. That was when I realized I should start expanding my tastes in classical musicÖ
I canít get enough of his music though, I love the Concerto in F minor.

Awesome Tarja pic!

haha yeah, I still think Janneís better looking though :p

Det_Nosnip
08-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Hey...I got 5 pages. All that mattters. :p

Or he could be the elf...aren't elves supposed to make women swoon? He's certainly got the hair for it...

Yes! He'd make a perfect elf. The elves are also supposed to be great musicians, so it'd work out.

Arucard
08-02-2005, 07:13 AM

They seem to also know Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation too. Just female fronted 'OMG! WE ARE SO MYSTICAL!!!!!' bands.

Stoic
08-02-2005, 07:22 AM
It took me years of denial until I finally accepted that nightwish are power...

Silent Death
08-02-2005, 07:50 AM
I was watching music videos on yahoo and one of their songs came on. Ever since then I have been a huge fan of Nightwish.

Taste_My_Scythe
08-02-2005, 08:13 AM
haha yeah, I still think Janneís better looking though :p

Dude, fucking Janne, Alexi and Henkka are better looking than him. :thumb: Henkka's way hot.

Yeah, if it weren't for this thread I probably wouldn't have listened to them. I never really liked bands with female vocals. I guess Evenesence turned me off to that. But Tarja can really sing.

Whoa. Amy Lee can sing. People get turned off to Evanescence because the only music they can find is off Fallen; which, though I hate to say it, is their sellout album. They went mainstream on that. Evanescence is an old...sorta goth rock band. Their old stuff is great.
John - if you want an album, I can burn Wishmaster for you.

Mr. Squiggles
08-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Whoa. Amy Lee can sing. People get turned off to Evanescence because the only music they can find is off Fallen; which, though I hate to say it, is their sellout album. They went mainstream on that. Evanescence is an old...sorta goth rock band. Their old stuff is great.

Yeah, that would be cool if you could burn that for me.

Taste_My_Scythe
08-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Sure thing. Won't see you until the meeting, so I'll give it to you then.

Mr. Squiggles
08-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Sure thing. Won't see you until the meeting, so I'll give it to you then.

Sounds good, thanks.

Shattered_Future
08-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Dude, fucking Janne, Alexi and Henkka are better looking than him. :thumb: Henkka's way hot.

What i thought was really weird is how Evanescence's first EP and Once have the almost EXACT same covers. I got into an argument online with this girl i know about her buddy icon...I said it was a Nightwish one, she said Evanescence.

Turns out she was right... :upset:

The only problem i have with Amy Lee is her image, her backing band, and how crappy she sounds live.

Drugstep
08-02-2005, 09:35 AM
I make a point of never listening to Amy Lee's music, but My Fucking God is she hot...

*downloads Crownless*

Shadows Within
08-02-2005, 09:55 AM
are there any nightwish songs with solos?

Shattered_Future
08-02-2005, 09:56 AM
are there any nightwish songs with solos?

Plenty.

Crownless - Keyboard solo
Gethsemane, The Pharaoh Sails To Orion - Guitar solos
Astral Romance - Guitar solo

Only ones i can think of off the top of my head that i uploaded...

You just gotta look around. Both of those were uploaded on the first page.

Taste_My_Scythe
08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
I make a point of never listening to Amy Lee's music, but My Fucking God is she hot...

Definately agreed. Great eyes.

What i thought was really weird is how Evanescence's first EP and Once have the almost EXACT same covers. I got into an argument online with this girl i know about her buddy icon...I said it was a Nightwish one, she said Evanescence.

Turns out she was right... :upset:

The only problem i have with Amy Lee is her image, her backing band, and how crappy she sounds live.

She bounces around too much on stage. If she'd just stay fucking still, her voice would be heard to it's greatest potential. I have a problem with her new band and her fans. Evanescence's old stuff is great. Unfortunately, it's hard to find. I love her cover of Thoughtless though. It's the only way I'll listen to Korn.

Steerpike
08-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Plenty.

Crownless - Keyboard solo
Gethsemane, The Pharaoh Sails To Orion - Guitar solos
Astral Romance - Guitar solo

Only ones i can think of off the top of my head that i uploaded...

You just gotta look around. Both of those were uploaded on the first page.

You forgot Nemo and Wishmaster.

Det_Nosnip
08-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Sleeping Sun has one too...as does Ghost Love Score, albeit it's a bit short.

shadow_stalker
08-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Other members:
Sami Vanska - Bass (he left before Century Child)
Although Sami didnít stand out much, he did his part. He played great bass riffs, and they were audible, which was even better. Even though he left, he helped shape Nightwish.
Im sure he was fired because Tuaomas decided he couldnt work with him (i saw him say something like that on one of the dvds)

Anyway Nightwish are a great band (although it took me awhile to get into them), i thought them utter shit at first because i didn't like the way Tarja sang. But after hearing marco sing on 'i wish i had an angel' and hearing the song 'where were you last night' i started to like them.

Shattered_Future
08-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Once again, i said off the top of my head...forgot those.

I've been listening to Dead Boy's Poem a lot lately...that song is really brilliant. The last minute or so (is that considered a breakdown) is amazing...Tarja gets SOO much emotion into her voice there, and the nature of the music matches it perfectly.

Shadows
08-02-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm not much on Nightwish, even though I generally love Finnish power metal. It's probably because I don't care for female singing in metal (not a Sinergy guy either). Either way, good writeup, more power to you.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Which one of the guys does the male voice in some of the songs? And which are especially good songs with the male vocals in them? I'm going to get I Wish I had An Angel but any other songs are appreciated.

And you can all go post in my thread too, I need a pity reply. :upset:

Shadows Within
08-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Which one of the guys does the male voice in some of the songs? And which are especially good songs with the male vocals in them? I'm going to get I Wish I had An Angel but any other songs are appreciated.

all i kosw is its the bassist but i dont know anymore id say the album thta song is on wqill have some more

Kronos
08-02-2005, 02:49 PM

Early stuff, like on Angels Fall First is Tuomas, male vocals from Century Child on are Marco, and the remake of Astral Romance was Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica.

Kronos
08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
To Shattered Future - brilliant thread man! Glad you made the huge effort required to do this band justice, as you know I'm a total fanboy, just like you!
As an off the wall choice, Once Upon A Troubador is one of my favourite oddities - how about posting a link? If you don't have it, I'll put it up if you like.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Hmmm ok, thanks. :)

The ones I have will be Marco then, do you know which tracks Tuomas sings on on Angels Fall First?

Kronos
08-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Hmmm ok, thanks. :)

The ones I have will be Marco then, do you know which tracks Tuomas sings on on Angels Fall First?
All male vocals on that album are him - he hates the sound of his voice though. I think that although it's never going to be a world-beater, his vocals are rather good, and have emotion.
Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourite tracks on that album.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-02-2005, 03:01 PM
So all the tracks have male vocals on? I've never heard that album...

Shadows
08-02-2005, 03:47 PM
You what? I think Shattered_Future's fanboyisms have begun to rub off on me. I just listened to Bless the Child and loved it. Atmospheric, melodic, and the vocalist definitely has a great voice. Damn you S_F, Damn you. Now I need to go buy some of their stuff.

NP: Nightwish - End of All Hope

EDIT: Holy Christ, Dead to the World is even better! I'm loving this Century Child album...

Kronos
08-02-2005, 03:57 PM
So all the tracks have male vocals on? I've never heard that album...

No, but any that you do hear are Tuomas. It's a very good debut album, but very different from later output. I really like it.

Kronos
08-02-2005, 03:59 PM
You what? I think Shattered_Future's fanboyisms have begun to rub off on me. I just listened to Bless the Child and loved it. Atmospheric, melodic, and the vocalist definitely has a great voice. Damn you S_F, Damn you. Now I need to go buy some of their stuff.

NP: Nightwish - End of All Hope

EDIT: Holy Christ, Dead to the World is even better! I'm loving this Century Child album...

Wait til you get to Slaying The Dreamer....... :naughty:

Shadows
08-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Wait til you get to Slaying The Dreamer....... :naughty:
Oh, I'm there. This song is kicking ass. A taste of metal heaven. :thumb:

Kronos
08-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Oh, I'm there. This song is kicking ass. A taste of metal heaven. :thumb:

Do we have a new fanboy? OMG! :amaze:

Stoic
08-02-2005, 04:13 PM
:lol:
damn like we didnt have enough!

Shadows
08-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Do we have a new fanboy? OMG! :amaze:
Easy now, I've only heard half of one album. Hardly a fanboy.

flamesofbodom
08-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Im a fanboy for sure. I only have Once though, and judging by the uploads given im probably going to buy Wishmaster next. Good choice or is there another one thats better?

Shattered_Future
08-02-2005, 05:43 PM
damn like we didnt have enough!

Bah, you and your traditional power metal...psssh. :p

EDIT: Most people consider Wishmaster to be their best album...however, Oceanborn could give it a run for the money. Oceanborn is certainly their most technical, and their most true-powermetal styled album, whereas Wishmaster is more symphonic while still keeping the power metal edge.

paranoid923
08-02-2005, 09:49 PM
nice job mike! What cd should i get now that i have Wishmaster and Oceanborn?

StreetlightRock
08-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Man, i wish Tarja had a bit more of a trebely sorta tone, it would make Nightwish an even greater band (to me), i reckon.

DVG.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-03-2005, 07:12 AM
All male vocals on that album are him - he hates the sound of his voice though. I think that although it's never going to be a world-beater, his vocals are rather good, and have emotion.
Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourite tracks on that album.

Put it this way, I can tell why he only did vocals on one album. They seem a bit weak compared to later albums and it makes it seem almost amateurish at some points. Still, I do like him singing quite a bit, Tarja just majorly shows him up. :p I'd like to hear him do another song though, see how his voice has changed.

Kronos
08-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Put it this way, I can tell why he only did vocals on one album. They seem a bit weak compared to later albums and it makes it seem almost amateurish at some points. Still, I do like him singing quite a bit, Tarja just majorly shows him up. :p I'd like to hear him do another song though, see how his voice has changed.

I realise his voice is amateurish and limited but I know that Tuomas never regarded himself as a singer; there was no-one else to do it at the time. (One can only assume the other lads ran for cover when singing was suggested!)
After 2 attempts :angry: I have managed to upload Once Upon A Troubador - you'll think this is weird I'm sure; very Medieaval sounding, and Jukka has the day off.
I'll use Shattered Future's trick of replacing the t's with x's - just in case it gets blocked
hxxp://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3N5T50NNRDO0B1H53ZYMMZBHQW

Enjoy some more of Tuomas' singing!

evilmenhavenosongs
08-03-2005, 12:12 PM
I tried to Soulseek that but Soulseek hates me so thanks.

Kronos
08-03-2005, 12:25 PM
He's okay, sloppy as hell but alot better than alot of drummers today. Definately overrated.

I'd like some specific examples of his sloppiness......
please. And how can he be "overrated", when no-one seems to rate him anyway - hardly the winner of "most discussed drummer on the planet" award is he?

Kronos
08-03-2005, 12:26 PM
I tried to Soulseek that but Soulseek hates me so thanks.

What's Soulseek?

evilmenhavenosongs
08-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I <3 that song. It's great and he is a good singer. Just not compared to Tarja who's unfair to compare anyone to. He sounds like he's trying so hard bless him.

It's a p2p that you download songs off.

Lord Abortion
08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
I quite like marco's voice, he was pretty good live for the I wish I had an angel...

Kronos
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
I quite like marco's voice, he was pretty good live for the I wish I had an angel...

Evilmenhavenosongs and I were discussing Tuomas' voice (I think) Marco is a great singer, I really like his singing with Tarot too.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah, Marco has a great voice, contrasts perfectly with Tarja's I think.

Lord Abortion
08-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Evilmenhavenosongs and I were discussing Tuomas' voice (I think) Marco is a great singer, I really like his singing with Tarot too.
I just hadn't said anything for a while :upset:

Det_Nosnip
08-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Once again, i said off the top of my head...forgot those.

I've been listening to Dead Boy's Poem a lot lately...that song is really brilliant. The last minute or so (is that considered a breakdown) is amazing...Tarja gets SOO much emotion into her voice there, and the nature of the music matches it perfectly.

Ugh...no. Please don't call it that. :lol: Sorry, a part of my soul dies every time I hear the word "breakdown" used, there's something about the term that just repulses me.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Shattered_Future: these are some HIM songs, seeing as you're more likely to see them here than in the other thread which died already. I uploaded them so you might as well hear them.

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2IRRTR6MXH86L1AAX5KK4XX8YF Salt In Our Wounds, a slower song.

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=18LKDGITRLGM90C4C7EJJ9VM9S Beyond Redemption, a faster song.

hxxp://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2NIHWT02DTPM43GWK0BVAK16D4 Larger Than Life, a Backstreet Boys cover which I love for no valid reason.

Hells Bells
08-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Ugh...no. Please don't call it that. :lol: Sorry, a part of my soul dies every time I hear the word "breakdown" used, there's something about the term that just repulses me.

What's a breakdown? I know it as taking something in different parts and analyzing it, or something screwing up, but I haven't heard it used as the description of a part of a song.

Det_Nosnip
08-03-2005, 04:46 PM
I'd like some specific examples of his sloppiness......
please. And how can he be "overrated", when no-one seems to rate him anyway - hardly the winner of "most discussed drummer on the planet" award is he?

I *think* that he was talking about Jordison, for which numerous examples of sloppiness exist.

Here's a particularly pathetic one:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/joeyjordison.html

evilmenhavenosongs
08-03-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm not a drummer and even I can tell that sounds bad.

Det_Nosnip
08-03-2005, 04:50 PM
What's a breakdown? I know it as taking something in different parts and analyzing it, or something screwing up, but I haven't heard it used as the description of a part of a song.

It's basically a metalcore term that entails any final/ending section where everybody goes nuts and the crowd is supposed to mosh the most. It's supposed to be the most "intense" section of the song.

IheartSP
08-03-2005, 05:02 PM
It's basically a metalcore term that entails any final/ending section where everybody goes nuts and the crowd is supposed to mosh the most. It's supposed to be the most "intense" section of the song.
That didn't explain much...

A breakdown is a part of a song common in metalcore and Nu-metal, usually towards the middle, where there are lots of heavy repeated notes. It usually is syncopated and repetetive. Usually it is one of the heavier parts of the songs because they jsut repeat the lowest note on the guitar.

Hells Bells
08-03-2005, 05:09 PM
haha, yeah I know what you're talking about. I never liked that though, it seemed like the bands were trying way too hard to be fast and heavy. It never sounded intense to me, it sounded pathetic and overdone.

Det_Nosnip
08-04-2005, 12:56 AM
*erm* *ahem* Looking for some of the more musically knowledgable Nightwish fans on here...

I recently picked up a keyboard and have been trying to learn how to play and also how melodic/harmonic theory works. Anyways, other than practicing my scales and chords and whatnot, I've also decided to learn a few songs, and I picked "Nemo" because I love that main hook and it's just an all around great song.

I got a tab (ugh, I know..I'd have preferred a real transcription, but tab was the best I could find for now) which seems to be fairly accurate, but it doesn't list the key that the song is played in, so I've been trying to figure that out. The first part has a real "D" feel to me (the intro is "D, D, C, D A; D, D, C, D, F; C, C, D, A, G, F, E, C, D"), but the interlude is completely different....it seems to be based more in either F or G#. Did Tuomas change keys, or what? :confused:

Det_Nosnip
08-04-2005, 01:21 AM
By the way.....in case anyone was wondering what the Lakota spoken word passage at the end of "Creek Mary's Blood" meant, here's a translation:

I still dream every night
Of them wolves, them mustangs, those endless prairies
The restless winds over mountaintops
The unspoilt frontier of my kith n`kin
The hallowed land of the Great Spirit
I still believe
In every night
In every day
I am like the caribou
And you like the wolves that make me stronger
We never owed you anything
Our only debt is one life for our Mother
It was a good day to chant this song
For Her

Our spirit was here long before you
Long before us
And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

Pretty heavy stuff if you ask me...the last line in particular really gets me.

Taste_My_Scythe
08-04-2005, 11:14 AM
*erm* *ahem* Looking for some of the more musically knowledgable Nightwish fans on here...

I recently picked up a keyboard and have been trying to learn how to play and also how melodic/harmonic theory works. Anyways, other than practicing my scales and chords and whatnot, I've also decided to learn a few songs, and I picked "Nemo" because I love that main hook and it's just an all around great song.

I got a tab (ugh, I know..I'd have preferred a real transcription, but tab was the best I could find for now) which seems to be fairly accurate, but it doesn't list the key that the song is played in, so I've been trying to figure that out. The first part has a real "D" feel to me (the intro is "D, D, C, D A; D, D, C, D, F; C, C, D, A, G, F, E, C, D"), but the interlude is completely different....it seems to be based more in either F or G#. Did Tuomas change keys, or what? :confused:

Tabs for keyboards suck. I can't do it. I have some problems with reading bass clef notes, but the tabs are just plain ridiculous.

evilmenhavenosongs
08-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Can you actually tab for piano? I've never seen anything like that but then again I always played the classical stuff.

Taste_My_Scythe
08-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Can you actually tab for piano? I've never seen anything like that but then again I always played the classical stuff.

You can, but it's extremely hard to figure out and execute. I tried it once, and vowed never to do it again.

Det_Nosnip
08-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Yeah. Don't expect to ever be able to learn something from tab if you don't already know what it's supposed to sound like...

chorbalan
08-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Great article, Great band....Just great thread period.

Shattered_Future
08-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Sheet music is so much easier to read for piano than tabs...

Det, the band does change keys in that song...the last chorus is 3 steps up (guitar term) from the first chorus.

Tom, it depends on what you want. Get Century Child if you want more solos coupled with symphonic elements, get Angels Fall First for folkish elements, and get Once for a whole lot of symphonic elements.

Evilmenhavenosongs, no offense, but i can safely say that HIM is one of the worst bands i have ever heard. Their music is boring, and their singer is unbelievably whiny...sickening, almost.

Kronos
08-05-2005, 03:34 PM

Apparently, it's mostly in D, but mods into F for the last bit

IheartSP
08-05-2005, 03:47 PM
I have an easier time reading tabs for piano than sheet music. I read guitar tabs basically like sheet music, you can hand me a tab and I will read off the notes easier than I do with sheet music. Potentially sheet music is better I just never got around to using it fluently. Personally I just use guitar pro where it shows you the keys on the piano.

Kronos
08-05-2005, 04:00 PM
I *think* that he was talking about Jordison, for which numerous examples of sloppiness exist.

Here's a particularly pathetic one:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/joeyjordison.html

I hope he was. Jukka is a very unsloppy drummer, IMO, so I was a bit surprised/pissed off when I read it and thought he meant Jukka - that's the problem when people don't use quotes..

Shattered_Future
08-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Jukka is FAR from a sloppy drummer...

At the end of Dead Gardens, that beat that he does...that takes some talent. He switches up so many times it's unbelievable.

Shadows
08-05-2005, 06:03 PM
So S_F...when are we going to get Futures of metal #2? And who will it be on?

Shattered_Future
08-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Uuuuuuhhhh...

I was contemplating this today, actually...I'll probably get one up no later than Sunday. It's looking to be either on Lacuna Coil or Arch Enemy, perhaps (sticking with the female singers :D :naughty: )

Shadows
08-05-2005, 06:47 PM
ARCH ENEMY!!! DO ARCH ENEMY!!!! Finally, a female-fronted band we agree on. AE kicks so much ***.

Shattered_Future
08-05-2005, 06:50 PM
ARCH ENEMY!!! DO ARCH ENEMY!!!! Finally, a female-fronted band we agree on. AE kicks so much ***.

Fiiiiiiiine. :p

Gotta see if their website has a decent history...

Shadows
08-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Fiiiiiiiine. :p

Gotta see if their website has a decent history...
Just wing it. Start with the roots.

"Arch enemy is a melodic death metal band started by Swedish guitarist Michael Amott after leaving his former band Carcass..."

Then just work in the albums, any lineup changes, and say the rest was history.

Alright, so that may not be the greatest thing, :) but from what I've heard their history doesn't really go beyond what I just said.

Shattered_Future
08-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Ok, i just spent 15 minutes looking for a decent bio...THERE IS NONE.

I'm gonna wing it, like you said, and like Spanish class. :p

Cept I won't fall asleep this time. :lol:

Shadows
08-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Please don't. You also have to make sure to let me know when you do this so I can be the first post(s). :) It's good to see other AE fans who know something prior to Wages of Sin.

EDIT: Speaking of which, your Stigmata review (which was excellent, by the way) was sputnik's first and only Arch Enemy review! I need to kick into journalism mode and get Wages of Sin and Doomsday Machine up there.

flamesofbodom
08-05-2005, 07:06 PM
I like the Burned Bridges album but thats about all i have is that and Wages of Sin

Hells Bells
08-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Ooooh yes do Arch Enemy! I can help you with uploads off of Black Earth, Burning Bridges, Wages of Sin, and Anthems of Rebellion.

I got a tab (ugh, I know..I'd have preferred a real transcription, but tab was the best I could find for now) which seems to be fairly accurate, but it doesn't list the key that the song is played in, so I've been trying to figure that out. The first part has a real "D" feel to me (the intro is "D, D, C, D A; D, D, C, D, F; C, C, D, A, G, F, E, C, D"), but the interlude is completely different....it seems to be based more in either F or G#. Did Tuomas change keys, or what?

Are you talking about the part that starts at 3:06? From what I can tell the beginning it in C major and the interlude is in Ab major.

The Cynic
08-05-2005, 09:51 PM
I've really been getting into NW lately. I don't know why I didn't listen ti them as much before, but now I love them.

Det_Nosnip
08-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Jukka is FAR from a sloppy drummer...

At the end of Dead Gardens, that beat that he does...that takes some talent. He switches up so many times it's unbelievable.

Hehe...it's called a Hemiola. Basically, the guitars have a dotted quarter (6/8) pulse, and he plays a kind of quarter note based groove off of it. As I recall, he sorta swims back and forth between playing with and against the guitars...what is sick about it is how great it works. I think I remember him alternating between double and cut time during that part as well.

As far as "sloppiness" goes, he's one of the cleanest live players I've ever seen as far as metal goes.

Oh, and as for female metal bands....early Within Temptation has been catching my fancy alot lately. After Mother Earth (and, to some extent, with Mother Earth) they mellowed out far too much, but "Enter" was a fantastic record.

Shattered_Future
08-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Please don't. You also have to make sure to let me know when you do this so I can be the first post(s). :) It's good to see other AE fans who know something prior to Wages of Sin.

EDIT: Speaking of which, your Stigmata review (which was excellent, by the way) was sputnik's first and only Arch Enemy review! I need to kick into journalism mode and get Wages of Sin and Doomsday Machine up there.

You can do Wages Of Sin (I don't have that), but i want Doomsday Machine! :mad:

Watch for the thread tonight, at latest, tomorrow.

Within Temptation is awesome...sucks that i can't find their cds in any store around here though. :angry:

Det_Nosnip
08-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah, which is odd concerning how big they are in Europe these days. Amazon and centurymedia are your friend. ;)

Shattered_Future
08-06-2005, 07:01 PM
I've never ordered from the Century Media distro before...OR Amazon. I've been meaning to pick up some stuff from Amazon though...

By the way, my new FA on Arch Enemy is up guys. Don't miss it.

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375613

Shadows
08-07-2005, 02:50 PM
You did one on Arch Enemy? Why didn't you tell me!?

blackout
08-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Nightwish?

Die!

Shattered_Future
08-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Nightwish?

Die!

You came into MY thread, and tell Nightwish to DIE!?! :evil:

I hope you get devoured by rabid badgers. :mad:

AA-12
08-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Awesome article, but I don't really like Nightwish :-\

Hells Bells
08-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Nightwish?

Die!

Ignorant.

At least explain why you don't like them.

Shadows
08-07-2005, 05:25 PM
What happened to Arch enemy!? Somebody bump it!!! Now!!!

Hells Bells
08-07-2005, 09:10 PM
/NP Sleeping Sun - Tarja's voice :eek:

It's taken me a while to actually get into Nightwish, but this song's done it. **** I wish I could sing like that.

IheartSP
08-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Sleeping Sun is a really cool one, I like it a lot. I'm more into the neo-classical types, especially Gethsemane, and Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean

Hells Bells
08-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't heard those yet...I haven't heard any of Nightwish's neoclassical stuff.

By the way, every time I mention Nightwish to someone, the people who have heard of them think of them as goth influenced metal. I know that they're power metal, and I don't know where the idea of gothic influence is coming from. Then again, I know absolutely nothing about gothic music...

IheartSP
08-07-2005, 11:17 PM
No Nightwish is not goth, people don't know what goth is.

Shadows
08-07-2005, 11:34 PM
Calling a band gothic means they have romance-based lyrics. Cradle of Filth is gothic metal, but I don't know of many others.

IheartSP
08-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Plus they have to be a bunch of pussies :p

Steerpike
08-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Well, like Goth rock, Nightwish have a similar style of keyboard textures.

And, yes they can be considered Goth. Goth is an extension of Romantic philosophy, and as a Romantic myself, I can vouch for Nightwish meeting the Romantic ideals.

Hells Bells
08-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Could you recommend any other goth bands? I've stayed away from it after some friends of mine went "goth" in back in high school, and gave me the wrong impression of it. It would be good to see what the music is actually like.

Shattered_Future
08-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Could you recommend any other goth bands? I've stayed away from it after some friends of mine went "goth" in back in high school, and gave me the wrong impression of it. It would be good to see what the music is actually like.

Hmmm...

My ex really liked a band called Killing Miranda...I'm pretty sure they might be goth rock.

Sleeping Sun may be one of the best ballads Nightwish has ever written.

loathed
08-08-2005, 09:19 AM

i'd have to agree...that song is so emotional...i almost teared the first time i heard it.

iceland_is_mine
08-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Another good female-vocal band to check out is Epica.

Hells Bells
08-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Hmmm...

My ex really liked a band called Killing Miranda...I'm pretty sure they might be goth rock.

Thanks Shattered_Future :)
Sleeping Sun is breathtaking. You can't help being moved by it.

Steerpike
08-08-2005, 11:04 AM

The original Goth rock bands were stuff like The Cure, Joy Division, Bauhaus, and Siouxsie and The Banshees. They all came out during the British post-punk movement, which was brought about the majority of memorable 80's music.

For a more modern Goth band, Nine Inch Nails blended the traditional Goth sound with industrial rock/metal. And the Swiss band Lunatica plays a brand of Goth metal similar to Nightwish, but still maintaining their own sound.

Hells Bells
08-08-2005, 12:06 PM
The original Goth rock bands were stuff like The Cure, Joy Division, Bauhaus, and Siouxsie and The Banshees. They all came out during the British post-punk movement, which was brought about the majority of memorable 80's music.

For a more modern Goth band, Nine Inch Nails blended the traditional Goth sound with industrial rock/metal. And the Swiss band Lunatica plays a brand of Goth metal similar to Nightwish, but still maintaining their own sound.

Ha..this is nothing like what I expected. The music seems like it's stripped down, as if it's trying to make the emotion conveyed through the lyrics stand out and let it be shown as it is.

Steerpike
08-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Ha..this is nothing like what I expected. The music seems like it's stripped down, as if it's trying to make the emotion conveyed through the lyrics stand out and let it be shown as it is.

Goth rock is very focused on lyrics, true. An interesting way of looking at is that the lyrics are the cathedral, and the music makes up the vaulted ceilings, buttresses, and stained glass windows that enhance the impact.

Kronos
08-08-2005, 12:37 PM

Fields Of The Nephilim are the best Goth bands, IMO - particularly their debut album "Dawnrazor" They rock.
Also check out The Mission, and of course The Sisters Of Mercy - the best intro to them would be their complilation album "A Slight Case Of Overbombing" :thumb:

Goth is good.
Sorry - left "one of" out of the first line
/too idle to write it all out again

Kronos
08-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Nightwish?

Die!

How unwittingly appropriate your user title turned out to be......

Hells Bells
08-08-2005, 12:46 PM
That's an interesting comparison, but it makes sense. Gothic architecture doesn't have the flair and extravagance of other styles, just like gothic music isn't as dramatic as other genres, and both create an impact because of their simplicity.

Steerpike
08-08-2005, 12:52 PM
That's an interesting comparison, but it makes sense. Gothic architecture doesn't have the flair and extravagance of other styles, just like gothic music isn't as dramatic as other genres, and both create an impact because of their simplicity.

Actually, Gothic architecture and music both create a sense of being larger than life despite the comparative simplicity of the style.

If you've ever been in a Gothic cathedral, you feel like an ant. Take it from the voice of experience.

And when you listen to something like Joy Division, you get a glimpse into the larger whole of philosophy. Whenever I listen to Sacrament of Wilderness by Nightwish, I always feel a sweeping sense of grandeur and perspective.

Hells Bells
08-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Actually, Gothic architecture and music both create a sense of being larger than life despite the comparative simplicity of the style.

If you've ever been in a Gothic cathedral, you feel like an ant. Take it from the voice of experience.

And when you listen to something like Joy Division, you get a glimpse into the larger whole of philosophy. Whenever I listen to Sacrament of Wilderness by Nightwish, I always feel a sweeping sense of grandeur and perspective.

I have, my parents were married in a gothic cathedral and I visited it last time I was in Poland, and yes, you do feel very ant-like. I think that's what gothic architects were going for, to make people feel engulfed by insignificance, like they were nothing in the presence of God.

I guess I haven't listened to enough goth to be able to get a sense of the music. I got a different impression from it, that life isn't as overblown and dramatic as it's made out to be.

Steerpike
08-08-2005, 01:13 PM
The point of Gothic art is to do just the opposite. Remember how I said that Goth is an extension of Romantic philosophy? Romantics can't understand how anyone could possibly be content to live in a world of mundane, ordinary goings-on. They believe there's more to life than that.

Goths are Romantics who are willing to take in the darker side of this philosophy and also have a penchant for pageantry.

blackout
08-08-2005, 01:15 PM
You came into MY thread, and tell Nightwish to DIE!?!

I hope you get devoured by rabid badgers.
How unwittingly appropriate your user title turned out to be......
Haha, you all took my comment earlier WAY too seriously.

I normally make sensible posts anyway, so I object to being called ignorant. I have nothing against them, in fact i only posted that because i was a bit "under the influence" at the time.

Anyway, to make this post relevant, I'll just state what I think of them in a more informed manner. From what I've heard of them (6-7 songs) I haven't found them all that interesting. The vocals were off-putting at first but I could get used to them IF i liked the music, which I don't. Personally, I think they're a bit over-hyped and wouldn't agree to them being the future of metal.

Better now? :thumb:

Shadows
08-08-2005, 01:22 PM
I forgive you. :)

I'm not so sure about S_F though.

Steerpike
08-08-2005, 01:23 PM
in fact i only posted that because i was a bit "under the influence" at the time.

That really doesn't make me think any better of you. That's not ignorant behavior, that's just dumbass behavior.

Kronos
08-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Cologne Cathedral certainly made me feel very ant-like. What an impressive structure that is.

Shattered_Future
08-08-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm glad you took my comment so seriously. :rolleyes: ;)

Everybody has their own opinions...I'm just trying to point people to the right one. :p

Hells Bells
08-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Haha, you all took my comment earlier WAY too seriously.

I normally make sensible posts anyway, so I object to being called ignorant. I have nothing against them, in fact i only posted that because i was a bit "under the influence" at the time.

Anyway, to make this post relevant, I'll just state what I think of them in a more informed manner. From what I've heard of them (6-7 songs) I haven't found them all that interesting. The vocals were off-putting at first but I could get used to them IF i liked the music, which I don't. Personally, I think they're a bit over-hyped and wouldn't agree to them being the future of metal.

Better now? :thumb:

Sorry about that then, I've made that mistake too :p . I'm sure people wouldn't have had a problem with your post if you had have stated what you did now in the first place.

The point of Gothic art is to do just the opposite. Remember how I said that Goth is an extension of Romantic philosophy? Romantics can't understand how anyone could possibly be content to live in a world of mundane, ordinary goings-on. They believe there's more to life than that.

Goths are Romantics who are willing to take in the darker side of this philosophy and also have a penchant for pageantry.

haha well I guess I'm a goth then...
I guess I shouldn't make a judgement on a genre based on a first impression. I haven't noticed that yet, but then again, I've heard like what...two songs?

And this is besides the point, but I'm seriously thinking about switching out of engineering. I just finished my co-op term, and I shudder at the thought of sitting at a computer, day in and day out, poring over technical details for the next 50 years of my life.

Shattered_Future
08-08-2005, 01:39 PM
What would you do instead?

Hells Bells
08-08-2005, 01:41 PM
I have no clue, I just thought of this. heh..and the school year starts in a month. I know a minor in music will be in there somewhere ;) Well, something artistic will be anyway. While I was at school I didn't touch my sketchbook, read, or even look at a piano...I didn't like that.

Det_Nosnip
08-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Personally, I like to keep my money-making seperate from my art. I don't want to ever feel like I should change the music that I write in order to make it more marketable so that I can put some food on the table, you know?

Shadows
08-08-2005, 11:21 PM
I know what you mean. But I think that if my situation was desperate enough to where I didn't have enough money to put food on the table, I would look for a different career, hopefully keeping the music (without loering the quality of course).

Steerpike
08-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Do what Robert Rodriguez did and sell yourself to science. You can get several thousand dollars for a month-long study that's relatively low-risk. And even if it does make you sick, you're in a hospital anyway.

Shattered_Future
08-09-2005, 09:17 AM
I read somewhere you could sell your body for $46 million...

Course, that would mean most of your vital organs as well, but who needs to live when you have money? :D

You could always try selling semen...you could fetch a lot for that stuff.

On a more Nightwish related note, my sweatshirt came! A bit snug, but still awesome.

loathed
08-09-2005, 10:30 AM

wouldnt all males in the world be filthy rich then? :lol:

Shadows
08-09-2005, 10:32 AM

Course, that would mean most of your vital organs as well, but who needs to live when you have money? :D

On a more Nightwish related note, my sweatshirt came! A bit snug, but still awesome.
You fool!

Det_Nosnip
08-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I'm not exactly comfortable with the idea of spawning unknown children halfway across the globe that I'll never know about. Semen donation...aaah.....no thanks.

Kronos
08-09-2005, 01:40 PM
I may have mentioned this before, but I'm seeing Nightwish at the Carling Apollo on the 25th Sep. - anyone else on this forum (and esp. this thread) going too?

:) this is me thinking about it

Hells Bells
08-09-2005, 09:45 PM

Ha, see that might be an idea, but since I'm not a guy, I'd require an operation first.

I was looking for band shirts the other day, and I quickly realized that the only sizes available anywhere were large. A guy's large works for me as a blanket, not clothing :upset:

Shattered_Future
08-10-2005, 10:48 AM
I may have mentioned this before, but I'm seeing Nightwish at the Carling Apollo on the 25th Sep. - anyone else on this forum (and esp. this thread) going too?

:) this is me thinking about it

Bastard... :evil:

Nightwish almost came to the B.B. King Blues Bar this year...it got cancelled for some reason though.

Shadows
08-10-2005, 11:28 AM
You know who kicks major ass live?

Arch Enemy. :)

So incredibly amazing...so metal \m/

Kronos
08-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Bastard... :evil:

Nightwish almost came to the B.B. King Blues Bar this year...it got cancelled for some reason though.

Isn't living just off the continent of Europe great ? :naughty:
Don't worry, I'll be saying things like "Shattered Future would be loving this..." when I'm there!

Shattered_Future
08-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Isn't living just off the continent of Europe great ? :naughty:
Don't worry, I'll be saying things like "Shattered Future would be loving this..." when I'm there!

How bout you bring a camera along for the ride?? :)

Kronos
08-10-2005, 02:58 PM
How bout you bring a camera along for the ride?? :)

I will be taking the digital camera with me, no fear! :thumb: Might even come away with a drumstick or something if I'm very lucky - my brother went to the Astoria gig back in Feb and almost got me one there; it was sailing majestically right towrds him when a hand shot out of nowhere and grabbed it virtually from his fingertips - and I bet they weren't even a drummer. I'd have worshipped that stick...... :upset:

Shattered_Future
08-10-2005, 03:01 PM
I will be taking the digital camera with me, no fear! :thumb: Might even come away with a drumstick or something if I'm very lucky - my brother went to the Astoria gig back in Feb and almost got me one there; it was sailing majestically right towrds him when a hand shot out of nowhere and grabbed it virtually from his fingertips - and I bet they weren't even a drummer. I'd have worshipped that stick...... :upset:

Almost sounds like what my friend did at this Battle of the Bands thing at my mall...

The guys who worked there started chucking out Z100 (NYs top 100 pop station, or whatever...i call it dog shit) tshirts. So, one comes to my friend, and this girl who's towering over him grabs it, as well as him. He rips it out of her hands, and we walk away. :D

Make sure you upload those movies once you take them. :thumb:

flamesofbodom
08-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey Shattered Future i have a quiz for you.

What band is Marco originally in?

Hells Bells
08-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the introduction to Nightwish Shattered_Future :thumb:
I've been listening to Oceanborn nonstop since I got it.