PDA

View Full Version : Line 6 Bass PODxt

Sade
07-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Line 6 - Bass PODxt digital modeling processor

Date: 7/30/05

Features: 5/5

Actually, the features on this little toy impressed the hell out of me. I bought this, basically attempting to burn cash on something "fun" and wow...The sheer vast quantity and quality of the effects and models is just too nice for the price. Heh. First off, it's got effects. All the effects are modeled from OTHER pedals (IE the Line 6 team spent a few years in a lab somewhere studying the tone from these effects, and digitally processing them into the Bass POD's hardware) and amps/cabs. Effects like Fuzz Face, MXR Phasers, etc. The overdrives, while sort of "sterile" in nature, for once RETAIN the low end. Unlike most other multi-effect pedals, which just sort of mud out all the bass. And the on-board 6 band parametric EQ adjusts the settings and tone of the bass running through it ALONG WITH the tone of the effect or amp you're modeling, which is very nice. Some of the amps that are modeled on the POD:

Ampeg SVT's
Mesa Boogie 400+
Fender Bassman/Showman
Eden
Aguilar
Alembic Custom Amps
Vox

Keep in mind, these are only some of the amps that are modeled. Some out of about 30.

Sound: 4.7/5

Normally, I am the PICKIEST tone fanatic on this earth. I'll sit infront of my amp and cry for hours on end if my tone is even SLIGHTLY off sounding. But I was pleased right out of the box with this little baby, offering me lots of amp models that actually sound...well, like the amps their modeling! My faveorite was the Mesa 400+ model. (Which is ironic, because my rig consists of one, lol!) But the tone that comes from this handy little POD is great. You can get a whole mess of amp models with pre-set EQ and settings. And you can change the EQ and settings of any amp model, without changing the amp. So it's basically like having all these great amps right infront of you. And most of them do infact, sound great.

You can also mix and match different cab and mic setups for each amp, and depending on the size/quantity of speakers in the cab, the different your sound will be. IE if you have a 1x18, you're going to get a beefier, more low-end influenced tone than if you have the 2x10 selected. They have all the same brands of cabs as they do amps (for the most part) and you can even change the distance the mic would be from the cab, if you choose to do so.

The effects, for the most part-also great. Alot of wierd stuff can be found here, and I can see myself spending hours rooting through them all. Some of the flangers, however-are pretty sterile sounding-but you can adjust them. (which I have yet to do.) The overdrives retain the beefy low end, and the "drive" knob on the POD allows you to "grit" up your bass tone without even using the effect.

Overall: 4.8/5

There's just so much to this little POD, it's incredible. I bought it to try out ONE specific tone, and I got it right out of the box. It's well worth the dollar, IMO-Despite a few "sterile" effect issues.

Crudd-Bucket™
08-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Awesome review man, I've been looking at getting one of these for recording and as an all round effects unit. The amp modelling sounds like awesome, just one question though... did you have to pay for the recording software or did it come with the package? Because my friend bought one for his guitar and he had to pay extra for the software.

:thumb:

Phalanx
08-04-2005, 03:10 PM
hurray, someone finally banned sade

good review though, do PODs come with a Pedal?

Gabriel
08-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Awesome review man, I've been looking at getting one of these for recording and as an all round effects unit. The amp modelling sounds like awesome, just one question though... did you have to pay for the recording software or did it come with the package? Because my friend bought one for his guitar and he had to pay extra for the software.

:thumb:

No, I don't think you have to pay anything extra. Go to www.line6.com and root around, I think I remember reading something in the manual about this...

Gabriel
08-04-2005, 04:32 PM
hurray, someone finally banned sade

good review though, do PODs come with a Pedal?

It's temp, and they had no reason to ban me. Err, him.

No, the POD's don't come with a pedal. You can get the POD in 3 forms: The ovular shaped one, the pedalboard, or the rackmount version.

The ovular shaped one you can buy a pedal for, and it's about 50-70 bucks. They have different types of pedals, with one or two expression pedals, more programmable stomps, etc.

AlmightyPancake
08-04-2005, 10:25 PM
^How much was it?

Gabriel
08-04-2005, 11:13 PM
300 new. USD

Jamie
08-05-2005, 09:30 AM
why banned Sade?

red_zeppelin
08-06-2005, 04:06 AM
great review. did you get it in the rack or floorboard thing. I really want one of these now.

Viscous Fridge Magnet
08-06-2005, 08:45 AM
I was gonna get one of these bad boys, but had to settle for something much cheaper (Zoom 607).
Great review, why did Sade get banned? (aside from being a general nuisance to the mods :thumb: )

Gabriel
08-06-2005, 02:00 PM
I was gonna get one of these bad boys, but had to settle for something much cheaper (Zoom 607).
Great review, why did Sade get banned? (aside from being a general nuisance to the mods :thumb: )

That's why, hahah.

Led_Zeppelin678
08-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Perfect review (the Bassman was my personal favorite though). I just got tired of all of it, though. Too much for live stuff, perfect for recording.

Crudd-Bucket™
08-10-2005, 02:26 AM
No, I don't think you have to pay anything extra. Go to www.line6.com and root around, I think I remember reading something in the manual about this...

Yep, you have to register the software USB recording shareware... which is expensive.

Thunder Lizard
05-08-2007, 12:26 AM
I've totally enjoyed my XT- I've got the "live" version (pedalboard version) and I have completely fallen in love with it. Very little messing around produces a ton of clean, warm, very useful tones. There are definitely some wacky, whacked-out things too, and you've got to spend HOURS messing with them...... I mean, who really knows what a ring mod thru a flanged delay with a wall of reverb is going to sound like until you actually TRY IT? *btw- bass sick-up.... don't bother with that one*
The tuner's great, if not completely easy to deal with, the expression pedal is very firm and stays put, and it's built like the proverbial..... indestructible outhouse.
I paid like four hundred bux for this thing, and I've not for one second regretted it. Live, in the studio, for rehearsal, it's da bomb.
Drawbacks? Well, the preamp/input stage is a little sensitive to hot electronics, and the unit as a whole dislikes a very quiet bass.
If you crank the input gain, you will get noise. For certain. But you have to have a pretty nasty quiet bass to need to go that far.

ChristophTBM
06-06-2007, 06:00 PM
I need to get me one of these, an xbox360 can wait. I've been told they're the dogs, but now i've heard they have a tuner on them it's swayed me.

Bit random I know, but I want a tuner for my fretless 6, and I want an effects board. £269 from GAK I think you can get them... The live one that is, not going to bother with the studio version.