PDA

View Full Version : Spector Q6 Pro

Machines
07-27-2005, 03:17 PM
BACKGROUND
I had been wanting a 6 string for some time. I felt I was missing out on being able to play some Dream Theater songs, and like the range available with a high C.

All that seemed to be available were either cheap low-quality brands (Shine) or high end (Yamaha TRB1006 / RBXJM2). I hadn't managed to find a brand that were middle ground, i.e. didn't cost a fortune but managed a very reasonable quality.

I took a trip to Manchester Soundcontrol about 2 months ago, where I saw a Spector Legend 6 (Slate Grey), and a Spector Q6 Pro (Holoflash Black). The Legend 6 was quite impressive in sound, but with inconsistencies in construction (2 tone knobs fell off whilst I was playing). When I switched to the Q6 Pro I was as easily as impressed. There was a 100 price difference between them - main difference being on looks (different body shape and flame maple top on Legend) as well as 3 band EQ on the Legend (2 band on Q6).

On my return 8 weeks later, the Legend was sold, leaving the Q6. I gave it another play (through a Warwick Take-12 80w Combo) and loved it. The Warwick amp lended a considerable growl I knew would not be present in my home environment, this I accepted. I bought the Q6 (advertised as 350) for 330 including a decent semi-padded case.

REVIEW
Many people seem to dislike the Holoflash finish of Spector do, whereas I find it unique and 'pretty'. Others disliking it doesn't put me off - since it's their loss dismissing a bass on looks alone.

Here's the specs;

■ Scale: 35"
■ Neck: Bolt-On
■ Finish: Holoflash Black
■ Body: Maple/Basswood
■ Bridge: Solid Brass
■ Neck P/U: EMG-HZ
■ Bridge P/U: EMG-HZ
■ Active: EMG 2 Band EQ (Bass/Treble)

Being made from Maple this bass is quite heavy, significantly heavier than my Alder Yamaha RBX775 and Bubinga Vintage V940FL. The hardware is very solid with the machineheads being very sturdy. String spacing is fairly wide at both the nut and bridge, I prefer this as against it narrowing alot towards the nut.

Ok - lets plug it in ! I set all EQ controls to middle and all pickup volumes on max. Initial sound was a warm but bright tone, very usable straight away - maybe lacking on bass though. Pumping the Bass control gives the desired effect, giving just as much as you need to make it rumble. The tone control is very powerful, setting this to max makes the pickups buzz (although this is down to computer screen).

My preferred tone is both pickups on max, 100% bass and 25% tone. This is great for fingerstyle, slapping and tapping. Too much treble can however make the bass frequencies seem weak.

And now for some pictures;

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/mig29uk/DSC00229.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/mig29uk/DSC00232.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/mig29uk/DSC00200.jpg

SUMMARY
This is a high quality bass put together without any flaws. It's reasonably flexible in it's sound palette and produces the sounds I want. Whilst it can't compete with high end basses on sound, for the sum of 350, it can certainly not be beaten.

SCORE = 4/5.

neatobassman
07-27-2005, 03:50 PM
wait, I already did the specs on the Q5, put a link in here to that one also.

Wintermute
07-27-2005, 03:57 PM
In fact we now have reviews of the Q4, Q5 and Q6! :p

Though your Q5 review hadn't previously been recorded in the Index...

neatobassman
07-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Though your Q5 review hadn't previously been recorded in the Index...

that sucks....oh well.

Machines
07-27-2005, 04:14 PM
In fact we now have reviews of the Q4, Q5 and Q6! :p

Theres nothing better than fully comprehensive reviews :thumb:.

Wintermute
07-27-2005, 04:28 PM
that sucks....oh well.

Always remember to post a link in the index thread. :thumb:

It's there now though - when you mentioned it, I went digging.

Chaos
07-27-2005, 06:20 PM
holy **** I hope you die, I really hate you.

wow is that holo-foil thing worth it?

Chaos
07-27-2005, 06:23 PM
one other thing, what is this "Q" I can't find anything like a "Q4" on the spector site.

Machines
07-28-2005, 01:05 AM
holy **** I hope you die, I really hate you.

wow is that holo-foil thing worth it?

Charmed i'm sure. The Q series is discontinued thus not on their website.

Alma
07-28-2005, 02:05 AM
Cool review!

Sweet :thumb:

good rats
07-28-2005, 02:06 AM
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/910/dontlikeit4lt.jpg