PDA

View Full Version : Queens of the Stone Age

Six Foot Revolver
07-18-2005, 04:19 PM
After a recent discussion of Queens of the Stone Age in the community thread I decided that we needed a place to discuss this band. This band has been one of my favourites for many a year now and I am quite suprised it took me until now to make a thread on them. So basically discuss anything Queens of the Stone Age in here.

I will start the discussion with 'what does everyone think of Lullabies to Paralyse?'. This album reached very mixed results, some saying it was their best to date and some saying it was garbage. I personally thought that it was a good album but not as good as there others.

Here are some songs for those who haven't heard Queens of the Stone Age:
Little Sister (http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=300DMD75PJDPY0O79VMDLMZ7PA)
Gonna Leave You (http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=32MRY2AV8FVFA0QS4WTMAT0HRR)
You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar But I Feel Like A Millionaire (http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0J2FVCETEW6PE11VSIDPR769BI)
When the links run out feel free to point this out to me and I will re-upload them.

Magicaltroll
07-18-2005, 04:23 PM
I love the new album. I haven't heard any other albums though.

Lord Abortion
07-18-2005, 04:36 PM
I have song for the deaf and like it alot
very Grunge-y (that will be wrong but still)
they are quite cool

spankyoplank
07-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I loved Songs for the Deaf, but I think that the new album suffers from the lack of Dave Grohl an Nick Oliveri on it. The drumming and bassing in a few of the songs actually carried it even though it was a great album. This one is good but not as good. Songs for the Daf would definately be in the top ten albums for me of the 00's.

Dr. Jake Destructo
07-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Gotta love stoner rock. :-D Personally, I'd rather listen to Kyuss, but I've not heard much Queens. Anyone wanna reccomend me some non-single QOTSA tracks?

EDIT: Yay uploads!

repcak
07-19-2005, 06:31 AM
I love the new album. I haven't heard any other albums though.

with me its the opposite - i have all 3 albums from them
i started with 'songs for the deaf'
followed with 'rated r'
and the last album i bought was their debut self titled
b u t i don't have their new album :( how is it? can it be compared with sftd??

(LOKI)
07-19-2005, 06:32 AM
I was thinking of buying it but alot of people say it isnt worth it, is it?

exup
07-19-2005, 06:44 AM
i love songs for the deaf
the other albums i got are less quality imho

exup
07-19-2005, 06:46 AM
followed with 'rated r'

Queens Of The Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze

that's also an album

3rdplanet
07-19-2005, 06:49 AM
I really love this band.

Their Self Titled is their master piece so far for myself, but the other albums are all really good too.

I quite like Lullabies.

Six Foot Revolver
07-19-2005, 11:00 AM
followed with 'rated r'
It is not as good as STFD but it is still a good album

NP:QOTSA-Burn The Witch

Giaeo
07-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Songs for the Deaf is a very good album. I think Dave Grohl did a good job with the drumming.

hethamulburton
07-19-2005, 11:51 AM
I used to like em but then they got too much airplay on tv and radio and i never came back to liking them. kinda like green day except i started not liking them after dookie.

perry589
07-19-2005, 12:29 PM
I like QOTSA, but LTP talled off and the second half of the album is quite poor. The first half is outstanding. LTP is not as good as SFTD or the self-titled album. The self-titled is my favourite album just ahead of SFTD. I think Rated R is an ok album and is in my opinion their worst album.

Interstate
07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
I've only got Songs For The Deaf, a brilliant album. I've been meaning to get their new one for a long time now but haven't got round to it.

Ride The Lightning
07-19-2005, 01:14 PM
I am a huge fan of them! I like SFTD the most followed by S/T then Rated R then LTP. But I like all there CD's and I think they are better then Kyuss. And if you like them check out some other stoner rock bands like Fu Manchu, and Fireball Ministry, both kick major ***!

Niklas
07-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Gotta love stoner rock. :-D Personally, I'd rather listen to Kyuss, but I've not heard much Queens. Anyone wanna reccomend me some non-single QOTSA tracks?

EDIT: Yay uploads!

uploads it shall be

Mexicola:
hxxp://s35.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ZK9N7OCYAJCI0TORI92PTQOUL

Hispanic Impressions:
hxxp://s33.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0GZMH94O4B99F211O5ESHX2L0P

How To Handle A Rope:
hxxp://s33.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=187F4LBFG3D5P17DZWE56U33WS

hope you enjoy

FlyingPaul_83
07-19-2005, 01:27 PM
I love songs for the deaf. Incredible album IMO. Its probably gonna be hard playing gonna leave you and some other songs that their old bassist used to sing since he left the band.

NP:QOTSA-The Mosquito Song :thumb:

Lord_Hypnos
07-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Im really getting into QOTSA these days and I'm gutted that I missed them at T in the Park.I'm gonna miss Nick Oliveri though :(

Brrhn
07-19-2005, 01:50 PM
I've been meaning to check them out for a while now. You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar is great.

Brrhn
07-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Im really getting into QOTSA these days and I'm gutted that I missed them at T in the Park.I'm gonna miss Nick Oliveri though :(

Didn't Josh kick him out because he suspected that Nick physically abused his girlfriend?

superpeer
07-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Lullabies to Paralyse is good, the first half. The second half tends to get boring and repetitive.

Six Foot Revolver
07-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Didn't Josh kick him out because he suspected that Nick physically abused his girlfriend?
Yes, I think he beat up Nick for that as well. Josh can be quite a nutcase sometimes

superpeer
07-19-2005, 02:59 PM
That sounds awfully rumour-ish to me.

Six Foot Revolver
07-19-2005, 03:02 PM
That sounds awfully rumour-ish to me.
Josh Homme said that he chucked Nick out because of beating his wife himself. The beating him up is a rumour however

superpeer
07-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Josh Homme said that he chucked Nick out because of beating his wife himself. The beating him up is a rumour however

Did you hear him say it?

Anyway, if so, she probably deserved it.

Six Foot Revolver
07-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Did you hear him say it?

Anyway, if so, she probably deserved it.
It was in an interview with Josh Homme in Kerrang!

:lol: How could she possibly deserve it?

instrumental
07-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Saw Quotsa live twice now... wow
Second time, here in my home town luxembourg, I was first at the gate. RIGHT THERE up front.. caught josh's water bottle :)
Really really great band.. was increddible.. shame they didn't play my fav "first it giveth".. but wow.. such a huge band in a venue with 100? 150? people max... was best concert I've been too.. And I've seen Black sabbath last month ;)..

QUOTSA :) :) :) :) :)

thewalrus81
07-19-2005, 03:15 PM
I loved Songs for the Deaf, but I think that the new album suffers from the lack of Dave Grohl an Nick Oliveri on it. The drumming and bassing in a few of the songs actually carried it even though it was a great album. This one is good but not as good. Songs for the Daf would definately be in the top ten albums for me of the 00's.

definitely. i loved josh on songs for the deaf, but without nick and dave, the only thing that the new album has going for it is mark lanigan. i think josh tried to go to heavy on the new album, ditched his solos, and basically just started writing bad music (in my opinion). i also agree that the drums especially carried SFTD, songs like song for the dead wouldnt have been the same without dave grohl, and nick oliveri could always be counted on to have interesting bass lines, something that the new guy has a problem with. its a shame mark lanigan is still stuck in this band because hes a ridiculously talented guitarist and singer.

Paranoidd
07-19-2005, 03:35 PM
definitely. i loved josh on songs for the deaf, but without nick and dave, the only thing that the new album has going for it is mark lanigan.

Lanegan.

Oh, and don't forget other talented musicians who played on the record like Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Billy Gibbons, etc. The record has far more "going for it" then it could with Dave "the most overrated musician alive" Grohl playing the drum parts that Josh wrote for him.

i think josh tried to go to heavy on the new album,
Thats funny because most of the songs are the album are 10x more mellow than things they've done before.

ditched his solos,
At least 85% of the album has solos on it. Even the singles that get radio play. And the other 15% are either the finale song or songs less than 2 minutes. I'm starting to think you haven't even listened to the album.

songs like song for the dead wouldnt have been the same without dave grohl,
Funny, they played it with Joey Castillo and it sounded just fine. Dave Grohl did nothing for the band they couldn't do themselves, period.

and nick oliveri could always be counted on to have interesting bass lines, something that the new guy has a problem with.
That's an opinion that I'd easily argue. If anything, the basslines on this record are less repetitive and more melodic.

its a shame mark lanigan is still stuck in this band because hes a ridiculously talented guitarist and singer.
It's a shame you don't know what you're talking about.

a) Mark isn't "stuck" in the band. He chooses every time he plays with them.

b) Mark LANEGAN (notice the spelling) doesn't play guitar.

c) Shut up.

Also, Nick was kicked out because he's too much to handle while on tour. Josh is a rowdy guy himself but Nick is a drug fiend to the point where it became a problem for Josh. They still talk and are still friends. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Oliveri played on their next record.

Paranoidd
07-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Lullabies to Paralyse is good, the first half. The second half tends to get boring and repetitive.

That's weird, I prefer the second half. You silly pear.

My opinion on LTP is this: when I listen to something like Medication or Tangled Up In Plaid, it just sounds, to me, like other stuff they've done. It's the atypical (although still good) Queens formula. Tracks like Broken Box or You've Got a Killer Scene There Man is exactly what I expected from the new album--something new. Something where they take their distinct formula but apply it to a different approach and a different sound.

I unfortunately hear alot of people talk shit about LTP, and unfortunately, 90% of the time, it's because they expected SFTD part 2.

I've determined that most of these people only got into Queens through SFTD, and thus think that Queens may have just been a steady band who fired somebody.

What they don't get is this: every album, they do something different, but they do it in their own way.

Every album is a new crew. Dave Grohl wasn't expected to be on LTP. Stop bringing him up. Just like Alfredo Hernandez wasn't on Rated R, and Gene Trautman wasn't on SFTD. They change the lineup both for recording and touring on pretty much every album. The ONLY constants up to now have been Josh and Nick. Every album has it's own character, it's own vibe, and it's own sound.

When people say things like "well, the new album would have sounded better with Dave Grohl or Nick Oliveri playing on it, it's not the same" it sounds retarded.

WHO THE FUCK WANTS THE SAME ALBUM OVER AND OVER AGAIN?

superpeer
07-19-2005, 03:49 PM

My opinion on LTP is this: when I listen to something like Medication or Tangled Up In Plaid, it just sounds, to me, like other stuff they've done. It's the atypical (although still good) Queens formula. Tracks like Broken Box or You've Got a Killer Scene There Man is exactly what I expected from the new album--something new. Something where they take their distinct formula but apply it to a different approach and a different sound.

I unfortunately hear alot of people talk shit about LTP, and unfortunately, 90% of the time, it's because they expected SFTD part 2.

I've determined that most of these people only got into Queens through SFTD, and thus think that Queens may have just been a steady band who fired somebody.

What they don't get is this: every album, they do something different, but they do it in their own way.

Every album is a new crew. Dave Grohl wasn't expected to be on LTP. Stop bringing him up. Just like Alfredo Hernandez wasn't on Rated R, and Gene Trautman wasn't on SFTD. They change the lineup both for recording and touring on pretty much every album. The ONLY constants up to now have been Josh and Nick. Every album has it's own character, it's own vibe, and it's own sound.

When people say things like "well, the new album would have sounded better with Dave Grohl or Nick Oliveri playing on it, it's not the same" it sounds retarded.

I wouldn't have minded a second part of that gem, to be honest. But in my opinion, after 'I never came', it goes downhill. The songs get longer, slower and more repetitive. I've had other people yell at me for saying the second half is much worse, but it's just not my thing, not enough melody.

And I would have liked Oliveri on it, because I loved his clean vocals on songs like auto pilot and Another Love song. I also liked his bass lines, so nyah. :p

jaydeevee
07-19-2005, 03:49 PM
hey im new here. i love the queens, their new album is good but not great. my favorite album is a close tie between the debut and sftd.

thewalrus81
07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
you totally just tooled me around. well done. i concede total defeat.

Lord_Hypnos
07-19-2005, 04:02 PM
The only thing I'm gonna miss Nick for is because of the songs he wrote like Tension in the Head and Quick and to the Pointless.

On another note, is the new bassist the old second guitarist? and do they still have two guitarists live?

Paranoidd
07-19-2005, 04:09 PM
The only thing I'm gonna miss Nick for is because of the songs he wrote like Tension in the Head and Quick and to the Pointless.

On another note, is the new bassist the old second guitarist? and do they still have two guitarists live?

They tend to switch instruments for different songs, as they are generally all multi-instrumental. For example, Alain Johannes generally plays bass for them on tour (and on the album) but he may switch to guitar on "In My Head" (since he wrote it). Josh always plays bass on "Burn the Witch."

They do play with two (or more) guitarists live. On this tour it's been Josh (as always) and Troy Van Leeuwen (formerly of APC).

instrumental
07-19-2005, 04:13 PM
They all switch...Drums, that crazy girl on the piano (she is really freaky.. woah), 2 Guitars and a bass.. they rotate A LOT between the bass and guitars.. nobody has "one" instrument.

Lord_Hypnos
07-19-2005, 04:19 PM
They tend to switch instruments for different songs, as they are generally all multi-instrumental. For example, Alain Johannes generally plays bass for them on tour (and on the album) but he may switch to guitar on "In My Head" (since he wrote it). Josh always plays bass on "Burn the Witch."

They do play with two (or more) guitarists live. On this tour it's been Josh (as always) and Troy Van Leeuwen (formerly of APC).

Yeah I seen them live on tv before and there little jams were amazing,was so pissed off I missed them at T in the Park.

TheFACK
07-19-2005, 04:21 PM
I liked Songs for the Deaf the most, Lullabies to Paralyze has some alright songs but i dont like it as much

Paranoidd
07-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Yeah I seen them live on tv before and there little jams were amazing,was so pissed off I missed them at T in the Park.

I saw them in Toronto in march (and I'll be seeing them again in the fall with NiN and DFA) and they were awesome. A show worth seeing.

viski , haluta
07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
dont like em much

hethamulburton
07-19-2005, 05:25 PM
SFTD had some good songs, but LTP, IMO was very boring, didn't like it much.

FunkyMunky
07-20-2005, 12:47 AM
I think the best songs are:
little sister
I never came
someone in the wolf
this lullaby
taingled up in plad
the others are sh!t copies

niobium
07-20-2005, 01:33 AM
Queens of the Stone Age was a great record. No one ever talks about that stunning debut...

R would be my favorite album, but it's all a matter of inconsistency. Half the record was brilliant, the other half was just noise (Quick and to the Pointless, Tension Head)

Six Foot Revolver
07-20-2005, 11:21 AM
little sister
I never came
someone in the wolf
this lullaby
taingled up in plad
You didn't even have my favourite song off the album on there, Everybody knows that you're insane

Lord_Hypnos
07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
I saw them in Toronto in march (and I'll be seeing them again in the fall with NiN and DFA) and they were awesome. A show worth seeing.

Dammit I knew I should have got off my arse and went to see them,same with the eagles of death metal.

PinkFloyd
07-20-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm not a big fan. I prefer Kias any day.

Lord_Hypnos
07-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Could anyone upload Go With the Flow for me because my version keeps jumping and its just annoying.

If anyone would like to upload anything else from the Songs for the Deaf album apart from Millionaire and First it Giveth then feel free.

Paranoidd
07-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Queens of the Stone Age was a great record. No one ever talks about that stunning debut...

R would be my favorite album, but it's all a matter of inconsistency. Half the record was brilliant, the other half was just noise (Quick and to the Pointless, Tension Head)

Those are the songs Nick Oliveri writes.

Paranoidd
07-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Dammit I knew I should have got off my arse and went to see them,same with the eagles of death metal.

Unfortunately the Eagles didn't play (they were supposed to be the opening band).

Paranoidd
07-20-2005, 07:49 PM
little sister
I never came
someone in the wolf
this lullaby
taingled up in plad

Copies of what?

Rothmans
07-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Damn how could I off missed this thread?

Well I am a big fan of Qotsa as I have been alot LTP is good enough not the best but still good I like it I know alot do not like it because Nick is not on it (cmon he didnt contribute massive amounts to that band)

My favourite album at the moment is SFTD I dont know the song titles though because my cd broke and I got it for free off the guy because the case was stolen in the shop all I got was the disc and now that broke so now I have the ALBW.

Mellotron
07-20-2005, 10:47 PM
QOTSA is right up there on my list of all time favorites. I saw them live on may 20th, they were absolutely amazing (as were the Eagles of Death metal). I think the new record is great, and unlike most, I love both halves. My favourite song off it is probably Tangled Up In Plaid. I've followed them pretty much their whole career, and will probably see them again when they tour with NIN.

Ride The Lightning
07-20-2005, 10:56 PM

Wow thats is 100% what I was thinking!

SlapnPop
07-21-2005, 12:19 AM
I like QOTSA alot. LTP is a good album. I LOVE the intro riffs to Someone's In The Wolf. Not to mention that is a cool song title as well.

Niklas
07-21-2005, 04:13 AM
I'm not a big fan. I prefer Kias any day.
Do you mean Kyuss, sir

Lord_Hypnos
07-21-2005, 07:49 AM
I like QOTSA alot. LTP is a good album. I LOVE the intro riffs to Someone's In The Wolf. Not to mention that is a cool song title as well.

I have to say that the video for Someone''s in the Wolf annoyed hell out of me.I couldn't get my head around it at all.Maybe because I watched it really early in the morning but I still didn't get it. I must say the video for Everyone Thinks That Your Insane was hilarious all be it in a rather disgusting way.

Paranoidd
07-21-2005, 03:50 PM
I have to say that the video for Someone''s in the Wolf annoyed hell out of me.I couldn't get my head around it at all.Maybe because I watched it really early in the morning but I still didn't get it. I must say the video for Everyone Thinks That Your Insane was hilarious all be it in a rather disgusting way.

The video for someones in the wolf annoyed the hell out of me too.

Tenacious Z
07-22-2005, 07:45 PM
The thing I love about the band is, every album is different. For example, "R" is kind of trippy and weird, more experimental I guess you could say, with songs like Better Living Through Chemistry. It's a little more mellow than the others. With SFTD, it's the head-banging, balls to the wall, fast tempo rock-a-thon (with the exception of Mosquito Song, of course). Then there's Lullabies to Paralyze, which reaches a happy middle ground, and is possibly the most accessible of the 4 (I dont have the self titled album). Although it doesnt quite have the drive and energy (mostly due to the loss of Nick), Josh shows some of the best songwriting and vocals of his career. Since all the albums have a different mood and feel, Queens ensures that you won't get bored of their sounds, and concerts will continue to be varied and exciting. I can't wait for when they finally come to Houston. Incidentally, my favorite track off LTP is Tangled Up In Plaid (because the SNL performance of Little Sister with WIll Ferrell on cowbell doesnt count).

rockin_ryan
07-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Keep On Playon Our Favourite Song
Turn It Up While Your Gone
Its All Ive Got When Your In My Head
And Your In My Head So I Need It

AIC/EAZY-E
07-30-2005, 02:29 AM
^ Thanks for that.
There's a video for 'Someone's in the Wolf'? That would grant them like no success. My favourite song off LTP, but I don't think it as a single would do very well.
So they've already released 4 singles from the album?

AntiRaceWhiteDevil
07-30-2005, 02:34 AM
The new album has been my biggest waste of money since buying a girl some Simple Plan tickets.

Give me Beer
07-30-2005, 05:08 AM

What are you talking about, I always bring up their self-titled one. It's without a doubt their best album too (and without Nick Olivieri, for those who claim he was a constant together with Josh, he wasn't. Josh wrote and played everything on the self-titled (aside from the drum lines obviously).

You Can't Quit Me Baby is the best QOTSA song ever. :)

I'd rate their albums

Self-titled
Lullabies to Paralyze
Kyuss/QOTSA split
Songs for the Deaf
Rated R

I like QOTSA without Nick better, I don't like his song-writing or playing all that much.

50MillionYearTrip
07-30-2005, 06:27 AM
At first I didn't think much of the new album

but to be honest it's essential if your a true fan :)

Although it isn't their best by any stretch, it definately has some of the greatest moments on it

This Blood Is Love and Broken Box, awesome songs, although every song on that album is pretty much spot on

Still...Songs for the deaf ;) is still no.1 rock album in the last 10 years, nearly perfect

Rated R was like a mixed bag, very experimental, some great ideas, but lacking some depth, although Lost Art was an awesome, awesome song!! and In The Fade was pretty beautiful

Their self-titled is the 2nd best in my opinion, purely rock driven, just guitars, drums and bass :)

The drumming is heavy as hell and very reminiscent of some Kyuss stuff (Since Alfredo used to play in Kyuss ;))

Regular John
If Only
Walking On the Sidewalks
You Would Know
Mexicola
Give The Mule What He wants

:thumb:

1. Songs For The Deaf
2. Self-Titled
3. Lullabies to Paralyze
4. Rated R

Ahem...Paranoidd

Mark Lanegan does play guitar :(

I've never actually seen him, and he sure as hell isn't as talented as the other guy made out, but it's got it written on the 'Dust' sleeve notes that he played guitar on it

justpaul28
07-30-2005, 06:43 AM
Well, I think LTP is Queen's most complete album to date and every track is a killer although I hear a lot of people saying that the second half of the album, (past Little Sister), drags on a bit. I have to disagree. It's a complete change in mood and it gets darker but this is only comparing to the first 7 tracks which are the catchiest things ever. Also, everything Paranoidd said, I agree with 100%.

cheap alternative
07-30-2005, 08:06 AM

i was told nick and josh were gay and that they had a marital tiff and josh kicked nick out.

50MillionYearTrip
07-31-2005, 05:54 AM
lol ur funnee

--

It was in an interview with Zane Lowe, Josh said he found out that Nick was beating on his girlfriend (Nick's not Josh's) and said that's past music or something

50MillionYearTrip
07-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Got Burn the Witch on now :)

What a stompfest!!

Billy Gibbons rocks

born2drum
07-31-2005, 01:43 PM
queens of the stone age are good, awsome drums, ok guitar tho.

GenuineImitation
07-31-2005, 01:52 PM
At first, I didnt like LTP as much as Rated R or Songs for the deaf. However, after a few listens, I really like the album.

Refl
07-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Self titled and Songs for the Deaf are the only albums that do something for me.

DemonicRubberDucky
07-31-2005, 02:28 PM
I got "Rated R", and i love it.

Dermy
07-31-2005, 02:47 PM
ive bought every album when it was first released. Self Titled, Rated R, and Songs for the Deaf are all fantastic in their own ways, though im not much of a fan of Lullabies to Paralyze. i just dont like that a lot of the songs on that album sound like they were only made to try and be singles, none of the other albums have songs like that.

50MillionYearTrip
08-01-2005, 03:38 AM
My mate has downloaded a Big Day Out video 2003 from when QOTSA were at their peak, and also a Kyuss vid from the bizarre festival in 1994 :)

He's putting them onto a disc for me later, can't wait :p

Paranoidd
08-01-2005, 02:53 PM
i just dont like that a lot of the songs on that album sound like they were only made to try and be singles,

Aside from "In my head" (which is an older song featured on Desert Sessions 9 & 10 and re-recorded for LTP) and "Little Sister" (which is just a sub-par song, anyway) I don't hear any tracks like that.

I don't understand what makes a song "try to be a single."

I swear people think up the most retarded reasons to follow the popular opinion on LTP.

none of the other albums have songs like that.

None of the other albums have songs that fit in the "single" category? Nice try.

Six Foot Revolver
08-01-2005, 04:34 PM
i just dont like that a lot of the songs on that album sound like they were only made to try and be singles, none of the other albums have songs like that.
I also disagree with you there and I think that Songs For The Deaf has more songs like that. I also think that the songs on Lullabies to Paralyze fit perfectly together and make a great atmosphere. The album has really grown on me in latter weeks and I might even go as far as to say it is their masterpiece.

Aeaon
08-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Great band. Ang great albums.

Dermy
08-02-2005, 09:58 AM
i dont really think they were made to be singles in a complete sense, it just seems like theyre missing something that the older songs had. i guess the older songs had more parts to them and the newer ones kind of feel to me like they were just thrown together, is what i mean by single style.
dont get me wrong il give LTP a good listen every now and then, there are a few good songs on there, i just dont like it as much as their other albums.
i especially dislike the last few songs on LTP, namely Skin on Skin and Youve Got A Killer Scene There Man. imo they leave the album end on a bad note.
Long Slow Goodbye is a good song, but it practically never ends. good regardless.

Jawaharal
08-02-2005, 10:00 AM
songs for the deaf pwned most albums in 2002

Six Foot Revolver
08-05-2005, 11:21 AM
http://www.qotsa.com/flash.html

For those who haven't seen the video for Everybody Know That You're Insane you can see it at that website. Go into Media and then click on 'This Is Some Crazy Shit'. IMO it is a great song and a hilarious video

exup
08-05-2005, 11:38 AM
its a good song, but not super
there is missing something i think

JohnnyTheBoy
08-13-2005, 04:08 PM
The first one's the best and the latest one the worst. They're all good though.

If you like the first albums then you should check out The Bronze from the EP split with Beaver. The Bronze is the best song with QOTSA, it's just that simple.

Desert Sessions, Kyuss, Eagles of Death Metal, everything that Joshua Homme touches becomes good music.

But you should all listen to they're first two albums + the song The Bronze I promise you it's worth it.

Emmy23
08-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Now I'm kinda a QOTSA newbie but a friend told me her take on them. It wasn't very flattering towards Josh. So my question is, is he a control freak? Doesn't change the music for me, I'm just curious.

FlyingPaul_83
08-18-2005, 05:33 PM
why do you think he's a control freak?

Rapp Scallion
10-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Hi!

The Queens Of The Stone Age are one of my favourite bands.
They sound absolutely innovative and I can always find new finenesses and melodies in their records.
This year in June I saw them in Berlin and that was the best concert I've ever been. I've never heard such great improvisations and also I've never seen so much stoned people like there. :D

Thanks for your attention

Rapp Scallion

P.S. Sorry for my bad English

Kyle
10-07-2005, 09:16 AM
hey, welcome to the forums.

I can;t wait for their live cd/dvd. I saw them at Reading Festival and they were immense.

FlyingPaul_83
10-07-2005, 08:47 PM
hey, welcome to the forums.

I can;t wait for their live cd/dvd. I saw them at Reading Festival and they were immense.

They should call it Videos for the blind :lol:

Tangled up in plaid is my favorite song off of lullabies at the moment.

Kyle
10-08-2005, 12:28 PM
They should call it Videos for the blind :lol:

Tangled up in plaid is my favorite song off of lullabies at the moment.
:lol: That would be an awesome name!

I still don't have Lullabies, but I listened to it online and didn't really like it all that much.

Six Foot Revolver
10-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I definately agree with the name Videos for the Blind. Seriously, it would be awesome. My favourite song off Lullabies... recently has been Broken Box.

Ostrich Man
10-12-2005, 08:35 PM
The album has really grown on me in latter weeks and I might even go as far as to say it is their masterpiece.

I agree with the it being able to grow on you, it took about three full listens through for it to happen to me, but now it is one of my favourite albums.

SSSnake...
10-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Rated R > SFTD=Queens > LTP

IMO

And the Circus Leaves Town > all the above

IMO

Iron_Weed
10-12-2005, 09:19 PM
I personally never liked SFTD that much. R is their best for me, gotta love Better Living Through Chemistry.

sizzling arm
10-13-2005, 04:06 PM
I've ordered Lullabies to Paralyze, hasnt arrived yet, I admit that I only own 1 other qotsa album SFTD(which is awesome) but I have heard some of their older songs and think they're kool, also seem them live and were fantastic! 1 of the best bands i've seen live. im sure their newest album wont disappoint me even with the absence of dave grohl and Nick. Their drummer can play all the qotsa songs just as well as grohl can and the new bassist, well hes a bassist, no offence to bassists but most can be replaced without anyone noticing any difference. I think Nick was on of those bassists.

Six Foot Revolver
10-13-2005, 04:12 PM
STFD = QOTSA = LTP = Rated R

That is seriously how it is for me these days.

FlyingPaul_83
11-07-2005, 04:40 PM
What album is the song The Bronze age on?

is it even a QOTSA song?

unComfortablyNumb
11-07-2005, 04:56 PM
The Bronze is on Stone Age Complications, and I think it was previously released on another album that Queens of the Stone Age did with Beaver.

nowitzki
01-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Lullabies To Paralyze has been really growning on me recently, I didn't like it much at all to being with.

Everyone should check out the video to Someone's in the Wolf, its very cool (http://mms.sonix.de/universal/rock/queensofthestoneage_someones_300.wmv).

wontgetfooledagain
05-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Does anybody know why the QOTSA self titled album is so expensive on half.com? It's the same way for Masters of Reality's "Sunrise on the Sufferbus" and it's ridiculous.

Also, does anybody know which songs it is actually Josh soloing on? Namely, "Song for the Dead" and "God Is On the Radio." Would I be correct in assuming that Troy has basically taken over as the lead guitarist in the band? I know that Josh plays the solos on "Little Sister" and "Everybody Knows You Are Insane," but what about the others?

A_Guy
05-06-2006, 12:43 AM
I hope this thread survives, it's the 2nd or 3rd QOTSA thread. None of them seem to survive, which is odd, because QOTSA is teh ****.

Does anybody know why the QOTSA self titled album is so expensive on half.com?
It's because they don't produce it anymore so it's rare.

Scuba_Steve
05-24-2006, 06:34 PM
I was watching the DVD the other day (man, so sweet) and I was wondering if there was anywhere I could procure me a MP3 of The Fun Machine Took A Sh*t and Died?

I know it was exclusively vinyl released, but maybe it leaked or something?

Zedthephish
05-24-2006, 07:28 PM
You'd need a copy of the vinyl, and a way to get it onto your computer.

Scuba_Steve
05-24-2006, 07:52 PM
You'd need a copy of the vinyl, and a way to get it onto your computer.

well, I was wondering if someone WITH the Vinyl had maybe already done this.

Oh well, I'll just figure out a way to get it from the DVD

A_Guy
05-24-2006, 08:21 PM
I was watching the DVD the other day (man, so sweet) and I was wondering if there was anywhere I could procure me a MP3 of The Fun Machine Took A Sh*t and Died?

I know it was exclusively vinyl released, but maybe it leaked or something?
That is a good song, if you ever get it, you should send it to me.

Jacaranda
05-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Seeing QOTSA at Sasquatch this Sunday. I'm hoping to see a good show, they are basically the reason why I am going.

Scuba_Steve
05-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Seeing QOTSA at Sasquatch this Sunday. I'm hoping to see a good show, they are basically the reason why I am going.

Their live shows are amazing from what I've seen on DVD :p

Too bad they haven't come around here in a while.

A_Guy
05-24-2006, 08:50 PM
I would've gone, but tickets are 60 freaking dollars! Im too poor.