PDA

View Full Version : Smashing Pumpkins

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

+zero+
07-14-2005, 07:54 PM
I didnt see any Smashing Pumpkins threads at all so i decided to make one.. The Smashing Pumpkins started in 1988 and made their final cd in 98 (ive been corrected).after they broke up billy corgan started the band Zwan, and that didnt last too long due to the band mates not getting along.. Billy then made his solo cd and i recently saw and interview with Billy Corgan, and he said that after one more solo album that the smashing pumpkins are going to get back together, which i would say kicks @ss.. and also i recently discovered that Gerard Way, lead singer of My Chemical Romance, Is Billy Corgans son! i heard it from Corgan himself.

Glitterati
07-14-2005, 07:56 PM
i recently discovered that Gerard Way, lead singer of My Chemical Romance, Is Billy Corgans son! i heard it from Corgan himself.

Yeah, sure :rolleyes:

And there's not gonna be a reunion tour anytime soon.

That being said, the Pumpkins owned. MC&TIS is a great double album, I love "1979."

+zero+
07-14-2005, 07:59 PM
No.. i heard it from Corgan himself. Quote "Yea when the pumpkins started out back in 88 i fathered a son. This son of mine also being the lead singer of My Chemical Romance. Seeing him rock out on stage with his band made me want to rock out again also. Little Gerry." it was similar to that. i recorded it off Fuse.

IheartSP
07-14-2005, 08:34 PM
They broke up in 2000, not 94

Shadows
07-14-2005, 08:36 PM
A good band nonetheless. Melon Collie was an incredible album.

IheartSP
07-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Mellon Collie was a good album, but I think Gish was the best one. It is a bit under the radar, but it was a real rock album, I think by Mellon Collie things were a bit twisted. None the less, Tonight Tonight and 1979 were amazing songs.

+zero+
07-15-2005, 01:02 AM
gish is great..i need to hear machina, my friend has it but didnt burn it for me yet.

IheartSP
07-15-2005, 01:04 AM
Anything post Mellon Collie is pretty bad if you ask me, and even Billy I think

Kyle
07-15-2005, 03:56 AM
Siamese Dream is my favorite, for me its one of those absolutely flawless albums; every track is great.
Gerrard Way is not Billy Corgans son, IF Billy really said that then It has either been taken out of context or he was joking around. Not everything rock stars say makes sense, who saw at Live 8, when Scott Weiland said the biggest show he has ever played was when he played in front of all the ancient greeks in 2000 BC.
Also Im pretty sure the re-union tour will happen in sone form. Jimmy Chamberlin has innebitably(sp?) agrred and is trying to persuage James. Not heard anything about bassists yet though.

horseypie
07-15-2005, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by IheartSP
They broke up in 2000, not 94

They actually borke up in 2001 didnt they, seeing as Adore came out that year
2000 was when Jimmy left the band/got kicked out because of his drug problems

SP n00b

horseypie
07-15-2005, 05:02 AM
+ if they do get together and D'arcy doesnt come back, i heard a sneaky rumour that Courtney Love may be joining the band as bassist, in which case i will never listen to them again....ill settle for melissa

Donnie Darko
07-15-2005, 08:37 AM
I have serious doubts that Courtney Love would join the band, seeing as Billy and Courtney despise each other, and the fact that Courtney Love would probably be the worst choice for any band's bass player.

And I'm just going to pretend I didnt read the thread-starter's post.

ThePanicInNeedlePark
07-15-2005, 08:42 AM
they didnt start in 94 ha wot a dufus, I know Billy wants a reunion but he also blames james for the split up of SP, I dont think Darcy or james like him, I dont think they did for many years.

Donnie Darko
07-15-2005, 08:46 AM
They actually borke up in 2001 didnt they, seeing as Adore came out that year
2000 was when Jimmy left the band/got kicked out because of his drug problems

SP n00b

Not quite. Adore was 1998, and IheartSP was right, they broke up in 2000... And just from memory, I think the whole Jimmy/Melvoin thing happened in 1997, but dont quote me on that one.

Neoteric
07-15-2005, 08:49 AM
This thread has turned into a n00b-fest.

Donnie Darko
07-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Last I heard Darcy was living on her farm, seperating herself from any ties with Billy or the band. James did a big "fuck you" to Billy... after getting blamed for the breakup.

I really cant see it happening, and i do kind of dread the event of Billy reforming the pumpkins. Because i really dont want to have to say - "oh yeah my favourite band is the smashing pumpkins... before they broke up and reformed that is". because i can tell you right now, if they did join up again things wouldnt be the same.

Donnie Darko
07-15-2005, 08:52 AM
This thread has turned into a n00b-fest.

What makes you say that? hah.

ThePanicInNeedlePark
07-15-2005, 08:52 AM
well billy is only 38 now, I bet if you do your research the numbers wont add up (I cant find how old gerard is and im sick of looking at MCR sites).

Donnie Darko
07-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Of course he isnt that guys father.... wtf.

jacob___
07-15-2005, 09:22 AM
After 6 hours of intense research I have organised a DNA test between the two family members, As billy is worried about Gerard becuase he is "Not Okay". Eric Clapton is going to be the guitarist and D'arcy's daughter Tina Turner is going to be the bassist.

Donnie Darko
07-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Well that sounds more likely than Courtney Love.

EinzingerIsGod
07-15-2005, 09:57 AM
No.. i heard it from Corgan himself. Quote "Yea when the pumpkins started out back in 88 i fathered a son. This son of mine also being the lead singer of My Chemical Romance. Seeing him rock out on stage with his band made me want to rock out again also. Little Gerry." it was similar to that. i recorded it off Fuse.

You're kidding me right? The singer from MCR is in his 30's like Billy. If you did hear that it was probably a joke seeing as how everyone says that singer looks like Billy Corgan with hair.

Neoteric
07-15-2005, 10:01 AM
What makes you say that? hah.
Billy Corgan = MCR, wtf?

nrvn55
07-15-2005, 10:11 AM
You're kidding me right? The singer from MCR is in his 30's like Billy. If you did hear that it was probably a joke seeing as how everyone says that singer looks like Billy Corgan with hair.

the guy from my chemical romance is like early to mid-20's....not 30. billy is either refearing to the resemblance, or he is refearing to how with out sp there would be no MCR, because billy is trying to convey the idea that he influenced the whole emo movement. i don;t know why billy would wanna associate himself with something like that, but he has been trying real hard to do it.

whatduffhuck7
07-15-2005, 03:18 PM
i just saw billy corgan on tv. the tonight show. wasent impressed. the drummer played standing up. no bass drum. messed up. the song wasent that hot either. id take pumpkings over corgans solo career

Illmatic
07-15-2005, 03:28 PM
the guy from my chemical romance is like early to mid-20's....not 30. billy is either refearing to the resemblance, or he is refearing to how with out sp there would be no MCR, because billy is trying to convey the idea that he influenced the whole emo movement. i don;t know why billy would wanna associate himself with something like that, but he has been trying real hard to do it.

Because he's a giant egomaniac, so the idea that he influenced an entire wave of music is gratifying for him.

Glitterati
07-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Because he's a giant egomaniac, so the idea that he influenced an entire wave of music is gratifying for him.

This is somewhat true.

Very talented man, but an ego the size of Mexico.

Dried Muffin Remnants
07-15-2005, 03:44 PM
I'd say Gish and Siamese Dream are tops, and Mellon-Collie followed closely.

Billy is the real reason for the break-up. We all know how much of an egomaniacal jackass the guy is or was... He seems a lot better now while talking about the Pumpkins.

...Anyways - I still do appreciate the great work Billy did with the albums.

horseypie
07-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Billy howerdel from APC had a go at billy corgan for blamin james.....it was funny what he said

nrvn55
07-16-2005, 01:25 AM
This is somewhat true.

some what extremely true.

does billy have a drummer? i thought he was using two people operating electric drums.

Donnie Darko
07-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Billy Corgan = MCR, wtf?

Yeah I was being sarcastic. Unless I am completely off track and you are talking about something else.

Donnie Darko
07-16-2005, 08:06 AM
I dont know if egomaniac is quite the right word there... More like a control-freak. Unless he has done something particularly egotistical recently, I never really saw him as an egomaniac...

+zero+
07-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Im just telling u what i heard.. I still say WTF about it tho.. cuz i mean im sure gerard would have said yea corgan is my dad.. so im not saying he is im just saying corgan said he fathered a son when the pumpkins were formed, that could have meant that he had a child previous and he was fathering him then the pumpkins formed.. it doesnt necesarily mean they started the band and he had a son soon after

Skit
07-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Everyone says he looks like him so Billy was (most probably) joking around.

On a related topic I just wrote the best cover of Disarm ever! :thumb:

PigLatin
07-16-2005, 01:56 PM
When Rockstars bicker like the pumpkins are, it usually adds about 5-10 years for a reunion of any sort.

A more likely scenario:
Corgan and Chamberlain recruit another guitar player to tour with. If they record new music, I'm sure Billy can do both guitar parts himself. So it'd be a similar situation to Nirvana and the "forgotten member" that was Pat Smear(sp?).

As for bass, Melissa Auf Der Maur is a far more likely candidate to tour with them than Courtney friggon Love. She replaced Darcy for Machina... and even though she has solo projects in the works now (I think her first album is fantastic), I'm sure she'd help Billy on a big, huge tour. They'd probably work well together in the studio, too.

If Auf Der Maur chose to stick with her solo projects.... I'm sure the recruits will line up for auditions. Who the F wouldnt?

Kage
07-16-2005, 02:24 PM
I'd argue, but I recently read an interview where he somehow related almost every question to how "Now all these bands are copying my style, and what I was doing" and how there wouldn't be any of these bands if it wasn't for the Smashing Pumpkins. While that's probably somewhat true, it still sounded like an arrogant thing to keep saying.

+zero+
07-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Ive heard from many different people many times that Billy is a stuck up person and talks crap about his band members behind their back.. that would be the reason of why Zwan broke up after one cd.. billy talked crap..

Illmatic
07-16-2005, 05:39 PM
I'd argue, but I recently read an interview where he somehow related almost every question to how "Now all these bands are copying my style, and what I was doing" and how there wouldn't be any of these bands if it wasn't for the Smashing Pumpkins. While that's probably somewhat true, it still sounded like an arrogant thing to keep saying.

And as for the egomaniac part, there is how he wrote and then recorded everything except the drums on Siamese Dream because he didn't feel like the other members were good enough to record on it.

+zero+
07-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Egomaniac fits Billy corgan perfectly

Donnie Darko
07-16-2005, 08:35 PM
It is because he wanted Siamese Dream to be PERFECT. And if you ever watched Vieuphoria, you can see him getting really pissed off with the band, as they were just not cutting it. After all, it is well known that Darcy was never a good bass player, and never wrote any music.

End result - my favourite album. Even if it was ego that made the album so good, why complain when you get that sort of result?

Contrary to my beliefs though, this may entertain you, if you havent seen it already: http://www.crookedteeth.net/

Donnie Darko
07-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Ive heard from many different people many times that Billy is a stuck up person and talks crap about his band members behind their back.. that would be the reason of why Zwan broke up after one cd.. billy talked crap..

Zwan broke up because they "had all the problems the Pumpkins had, and the music was lame". Which I read in a recent article about Billy, where he talks openly about his bands.

And maybe there is rivalry between tall bald dudes who play guitar and are called Billy, which may have been the driving force behind James and Howerdel's backlash.

+zero+
07-17-2005, 12:37 PM
i want to see Vieuphoria badly.. and yea if billy is an egomaniac but makes the music good, ide say keep with it billy. Even if the band does hate you, the fans love your stuff still..

nrvn55
07-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Zwan broke up because they "had all the problems the Pumpkins had".

yea, i beleive that problem would be that billy is crazy.

And maybe there is rivalry between tall bald dudes who play guitar and are called Billy, which may have been the driving force behind James and Howerdel's backlash

no it's because howerdel is exactly like billy. he does everything and tells every one what to do. jame's problem is that he is too shy and doesn;t have confidence in his playing to do more solo things or to write more stuff. i was reading how in APC, maynard and billy ( for obvious reasons) run the show. james is shy, both billies and maynard are controlling people so they use people like james.

EDIT.
haha this is what is posted on jamesiha.org

More Billy Corgan Magazine Appearances
July 7, 2005, 10:02 pm EDT

In the current Billboard Magazine, Billy Corgan appears on The Billboard 200 at #31 (includes a tiny Internet tidbit)
He also appears in the August 2005 issue of Alternative Press
September 2005 Guitar World has a big spread and nice photos of Billy (Heads up to Mike for the tip)
The Hot Press issue has been pulled, but Anthem is still available.
No sightings of James, yet...

Donnie Darko
07-17-2005, 06:08 PM
yea, i beleive that problem would be that billy is crazy.

no it's because howerdel is exactly like billy. he does everything and tells every one what to do. jame's problem is that he is too shy and doesn;t have confidence in his playing to do more solo things or to write more stuff. i was reading how in APC, maynard and billy ( for obvious reasons) run the show. james is shy, both billies and maynard are controlling people so they use people like james.

EDIT.
haha this is what is posted on jamesiha.org

I actually dont think Billy has a say in APC anymore. In the Mer de Noms era, he was the frontman, and Maynard simply did the vocal tracks. Then their was the 5 year break for Billy to get his songs written, and Maynard came along and had more of a say - I remember seing an interview with James, Jordie and Billy, when Billy complained about the name Maynard chose for one of the songs on Thirteenth Step... And when I saw them live Maynard was running the show, and the spotlights were on him.

Then I read about 2 months later that they have a new album coming out... And I was like wtf I thought it took them about 5 years to come up with more music. So I listened to it, and almost kicked in my radio I was so disgusted with the new album...

I could tell you right now, that it was Maynard who was responsible for that piece of shit. Because he thinks he is such a musical genius that recording sounds of him breathing and clapping his hands is going to appeal to the fans...? Then I see a dvd with the Bikini Bandits, and Maynard is claiming that he is the 'driving force behind Tool', and the 'Mastermind of A Perfect Circle'.

I think Maynard has Howerdel on a leash, and the way things are going, I dont think A Perfect Circle are ever going to impress me again.

+zero+
07-17-2005, 11:16 PM
I actually dont think Billy has a say in APC anymore. In the Mer de Noms era, he was the frontman, and Maynard simply did the vocal tracks. Then their was the 5 year break for Billy to get his songs written, and Maynard came along and had more of a say - I remember seing an interview with James, Jordie and Billy, when Billy complained about the name Maynard chose for one of the songs on Thirteenth Step... And when I saw them live Maynard was running the show, and the spotlights were on him.

Then I read about 2 months later that they have a new album coming out... And I was like wtf I thought it took them about 5 years to come up with more music. So I listened to it, and almost kicked in my radio I was so disgusted with the new album...

I could tell you right now, that it was Maynard who was responsible for that piece of shit. Because he thinks he is such a musical genius that recording sounds of him breathing and clapping his hands is going to appeal to the fans...? Then I see a dvd with the Bikini Bandits, and Maynard is claiming that he is the 'driving force behind Tool', and the 'Mastermind of A Perfect Circle'.

I think Maynard has Howerdel on a leash, and the way things are going, I dont think A Perfect Circle are ever going to impress me again.

i can agree with alot of what you said like Maynard thinking hes a god and all..but when it comes to Tool maynard is the spotlight and he deserves it (Although Danny Carey is the most amazing drummer ive ever heard).. but in APC i think all the members of the band should get their own little spotlight..

Druumer89
07-18-2005, 12:20 AM
i would much rather listen to the pumpkins over corgan him self but i do respect him for his vocals they are just so differnent i love it

deadinholywood
07-18-2005, 12:28 AM
in APC i think all the members of the band should get their own little spotlight..

Why? Billy and Maynard are the two who do most of the writing in the band, its like saying that D'Arcy deserves equal footing in smashing pumpkins as Corgan does.

nrvn55
07-18-2005, 12:41 AM
i can agree with alot of what you said like Maynard thinking hes a god and all..but when it comes to Tool maynard is the spotlight and he deserves it (Although Danny Carey is the most amazing drummer ive ever heard).. but in APC i think all the members of the band should get their own little spotlight..

that is retarded. i'm sorry. tool is probably the most complete band i have ever seen/heard. i hate to tal ktool up that much because so manyu people alreayd do, but this is a complete band. no member is more or less important then the other. all of them improve the songs. in APC it is more of the maynard, billy show. billy writes the music and maynard writes the vocals. in APC, the band changes weekly.

+zero+
07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
okay i guess im wrong.. no arguing from here..

+zero+
07-18-2005, 10:33 AM
p.s. the corgan solo album sucks.. he needs the pumpkins, without them hes nothing but a man with whiny vocals.. that was harsh

nrvn55
07-18-2005, 12:05 PM
okay i guess im wrong.. no arguing from here..

no i'm sorry i didn;t mean to be an ass like that. it's your opinion and it was wrong of me to attack it like that.

+zero+
07-18-2005, 10:17 PM
no i'm sorry i didn;t mean to be an ass like that. it's your opinion and it was wrong of me to attack it like that.
no dude.. you are right.. i mean i was just saying like maynard can make it in another band (APC) so he pretty much has the spotlight in tool and in APC theirs other famous people that deserve their own spotlight, i mean since theyve had so many famous musicians in their band.. but i did have a bad opinion by saying maynard deserves all the attention, but when i see live videos the person recoding pretty much watches maynard the whle time so yea..

five_leaf_clover
07-18-2005, 10:34 PM
ya theyre one of my favorite bands i herd theyre getting back together maybe that wuld be ****ing sweet

+zero+
07-19-2005, 12:43 AM
i play drums and know how to play smashing pumpkins.. live disarm from earphoria?

Donnie Darko
07-20-2005, 09:31 PM
You can do it just like Jimmy? I'd like to hear that.

+zero+
07-20-2005, 10:41 PM
im sure i could
(im not bragging)

Sleeper
07-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Tonight Tonight is a good challenging song on drums.

Donnie Darko
07-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Hah why dont you try playing Thru The Eyes of Ruby. Or Aeroplane Flies High or something more complicated than usual, and record it for us all.

Donnie Darko
07-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Or Geek USA if you feel so inclined...

+zero+
07-21-2005, 08:15 PM
i actually have been listeing to that song.. the normal and live version.. i think i could get it down, and maybe i will record it and send it... i like the snare in tonight, tonight..

Janitor
07-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Tonight Tonight is actually pretty easy to play, it sounds cool though. I wouldn't have come up with some of the things he plays.

+zero+
07-22-2005, 12:27 PM
yea, hes quite the creative drummer. one of there harder songs i would say is Jelly Belly.. that is pretty dam fast..

+zero+
07-22-2005, 11:55 PM
lets get off the topic of drums shall we?

+zero+
08-03-2005, 11:58 AM
i dont like the billy corgan solo album

Kyle
08-03-2005, 12:12 PM
do you like the later pumpkins albums such as machina?

For me the solo album is pretty good, its a completel differet entity to the Pumpkins or zwan so I treat as I would an emerging artist rather than Billys new project.

+zero+
08-03-2005, 06:56 PM
i thought machina was okay.. but most of the stuff i liked was probably from mellon collie and the infinite sadness.. i didnt really give the solo album much of a chance tho.
but i think billy needs the pumpkins

Kage
08-03-2005, 07:10 PM
The solo album was one of the most boring, tedious things I've had to listen to. I just couldn't sit through it.

Interstate
08-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I only have Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness, it's brilliant. I've been meaning to get Siamese Dream for ages.

mayonaise
08-03-2005, 08:06 PM
im sure i could
(im not bragging)

can u play jesus i/mary star of the sea? i very highly doubt that u can drum exactly like chamberlin for THAT song.

anyway.....i like everything that billy corgan has ever produced in his entire career. siamese dream was probably my fave SP album, but i LOVED zwan and was really bummed out when they broke up. i think billy corgan has really turned his life around since the SP days and is much better as a person for having done so. as for his solo album, i liked it, its a very nice chillout cd, especially for driving at night to.

soad517
08-04-2005, 01:10 PM
ill have to try driving and listening to that cd cuz i didnt give it a chance.. I heard corgan say on tv that after he makes one more solo album the pumpkins are going to get back together for a reunion tour, although corgans the only word that ive heard that from in the band.. i think theyd be better off just doing a reunion tour and not writing new music.. well maybe their new music would be good with the whole band, but i dont know..

Kyle
08-04-2005, 01:35 PM
ill have to try driving and listening to that cd cuz i didnt give it a chance.. I heard corgan say on tv that after he makes one more solo album the pumpkins are going to get back together for a reunion tour, although corgans the only word that ive heard that from in the band.. i think theyd be better off just doing a reunion tour and not writing new music.. well maybe their new music would be good with the whole band, but i dont know..
I think he said that before he took out the full-page ad about the re-union. I actually like the Zwan album, but its really nothing on the pumpkins first 4 albums. Some of the Zwan demos before the album came out were of alot higher quality which is why I think it would have been interesting to see a second zwan album.

SmashingPumpkin
08-04-2005, 02:04 PM
It's called sarcasm.

SmashingPumpkin
08-04-2005, 02:06 PM
I only have Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness, it's brilliant. I've been meaning to get Siamese Dream for ages. Get Siamese Dream , you won't regret it. SD is my favorite album. :thumb:

SmashingPumpkin
08-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Billy howerdel from APC had a go at billy corgan for blamin james.....it was funny what he said
Well, what'd he say? I'm interested. :)

SmashingPumpkin
08-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Not quite. Adore was 1998, and IheartSP was right, they broke up in 2000... And just from memory, I think the whole Jimmy/Melvoin thing happened in 1997, but dont quote me on that one.JImmy and Melvoin ordeal actually happened in 1996, I believe. Jimmy came back in 2000, they made Machine and released it and shortly before it was released, D'arcy left the band and they hired Auf der Maur.

LedZeppFan83
08-04-2005, 02:24 PM
- Yea, i just started getting into them. I really like the two songs "1979" and "Today".

Aeaon
08-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Siamese Dream is a great album. I haven't heard Zwan or is solo stuff. He's a pretty cool musician though.

Donnie Darko
08-05-2005, 06:32 AM
JImmy and Melvoin ordeal actually happened in 1996, I believe. Jimmy came back in 2000, they made Machine and released it and shortly before it was released, D'arcy left the band and they hired Auf der Maur.

Yes I think your right.

Zero... The point was that you would prove you are not bragging by recording yourself drumming "just like Jimmy", so no, dont change the subject just yet. And I would love to hear you drum "Jesus I/MSOTS".

Donnie Darko
08-05-2005, 06:33 AM
- Yea, i just started getting into them. I really like the two songs "1979" and "Today".

puke

+zero+
08-10-2005, 12:26 AM
It's called sarcasm.

yea and thats past..dont need to bring it up..

+zero+
08-10-2005, 12:27 AM
i believe the pumpkins will reunite. they got nothing to lose

CommieCanada
08-10-2005, 12:33 AM
here's the story of the reunion that i heard of:

apparently billy put out an advertisement in a Chicago newspaper asking for qualified musicians to join him under the name of the Smashing Pumpkins. No origional members as far as i remember were even asked to join up. I heard it on a local radio station

mayonaise
08-10-2005, 10:59 AM
yeah that would be awesome......even if it were just james and jimmy that come back with billy that would be ok. d'arcy isnt really all that important, i think billy wrote all of her basslines anyway? correct me if i'm wrong...

i wanna see them back together so bad. i liked zwan, and i like billy's solo album, but the pumpkins, they were something special.

Donnie Darko
08-10-2005, 04:21 PM
I have fears about their reunion. I dont want to see them 10 years from now still playing the same old songs like Deep Purple or whatever.

ThePanicInNeedlePark
08-10-2005, 06:18 PM
why is everyone giving this poor bloke such a hard time about his drumming skills lol, jimmy chamberlin isnt the be all and end all of drums, but hes **** good. i hope they re unite, I would totally go see them

+zero+
08-10-2005, 06:49 PM
why is everyone giving this poor bloke such a hard time about his drumming skills lol, jimmy chamberlin isnt the be all and end all of drums, but hes **** good. i hope they re unite, I would totally go see them
thank you. and i have never heard of "Jesus I/MSOTS". what cd is it on? d'arcy wasnt talented. i mean itd be cool to have the original band but james and jimmy is really all they need.

SmashingPumpkin
08-10-2005, 07:08 PM
puke
:D

Oh, and on a different note, Donnie Darko is an amazing film. :thumb:

SmashingPumpkin
08-10-2005, 07:10 PM
thank you. and i have never heard of "Jesus I/MSOTS". what cd is it on? d'arcy wasnt talented. i mean itd be cool to have the original band but james and jimmy is really all they need.
"Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea" is a Zwan song from their album, Mary Star of the Sea. :thumb:

+zero+
08-11-2005, 11:20 PM
i dont have the zwan cd. how is that cd anyway?

Flaminghotchino
08-12-2005, 12:11 AM

I personally liked it.

Kyle
08-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I like it, but chances are you won't.....not many people do.

+zero+
08-12-2005, 02:00 PM
well so far all ive heard is that the drums are pretty crazy or at least on one song, and im a drummer so who knows i might like it. isnt it alot slower or like calmer than the pumpkins?

Kyle
08-12-2005, 02:49 PM
well so far all ive heard is that the drums are pretty crazy or at least on one song, and im a drummer so who knows i might like it. isnt it alot slower or like calmer than the pumpkins?
erm, not sure. I would say it is mellow and harmonious, it is not as soft as adore but not as heavy as 'siamese dream'. Jimmy Chamberlin (Pumpkins drummer) also drums for zwan so the drumming is bound to be great, he is an amazing drummer. You might want to check out a softer song from the album like 'of a broken heart' or a more rock-type song such as 'Honestly' or 'Settle down'. This is just me inflicting my favorites upon you though, others might disagree.

Flaminghotchino
08-12-2005, 04:12 PM
erm, not sure. I would say it is mellow and harmonious, it is not as soft as adore but not as heavy as 'siamese dream'. Jimmy Chamberlin (Pumpkins drummer) also drums for zwan so the drumming is bound to be great, he is an amazing drummer. You might want to check out a softer song from the album like 'of a broken heart' or a more rock-type song such as 'Honestly' or 'Settle down'. This is just me inflicting my favorites upon you though, others might disagree.

It's definately very melodic. It's also a lot more..optimistic then smashing pumpkins which I think provides good variety. The album also features a much more...overdubbed fuller sound versus smashing pumpkins more raw sound.

+zero+
08-12-2005, 05:34 PM
i like calmer music.. muse, silverchair, or him for example are some of my favorite bands.

mayonaise
08-16-2005, 06:04 PM
^
silverchair isnt exactly what i would call calm.....they have some pretty heavy stuff....but i spose they have some good soft songs too, especially on diorama....but thats off topic....

on the topic of the zwan cd, i loved it, i thought it was really good, but somewhat different from the pumpkins....it was really....like more optimistic sounding, like a happy pop rock album....i like all the songs, but a lot of people dont like it for whatever reason.....probably because its different, and people tend to fear change. maybe not....haha

+zero+
08-17-2005, 10:46 PM
i heard bad things about zwan.. but its from people who really liked the pumpkins and were pretty much expecting a sound similar to the pumpkins.. so i think if if you dont expect zwan to sound like the pumpkins then you will like them more than if you wanted the pumpkins.

lionelhutz88
08-18-2005, 12:08 AM
do guys like bily's new solo stuff? I find it to be pretty strange, but it's cool..

Kyle
08-18-2005, 09:21 AM
do guys like bily's new solo stuff? I find it to be pretty strange, but it's cool..
I like it, I like anything he does though.

/im such a fanboy.

Chris
08-18-2005, 09:35 AM
I never new this thread was here.

i heard bad things about zwan.. but its from people who really liked the pumpkins and were pretty much expecting a sound similar to the pumpkins.. so i think if if you dont expect zwan to sound like the pumpkins then you will like them more than if you wanted the pumpkins.

There where a similar sound to the pumpkins, that was one of the reasons why Zwan split up.

Listen to the unrealsed Zwan stuff, like Spilled Milk and Riverview, they sound alot like the pumpkins. The reason that they (zwan) didnt release any of the 'good' songs, was for the point that they sounded like SP.

I remeber when i read a interview of billy, one of the things he said was that the other band members said things like 'dude, that sound like the pumpkins', and this pissed billy off, as what did they expect seeming that two out of four pumpkins where in zwan.

Kyle
08-18-2005, 10:05 AM
I remeber when i read a interview of billy, one of the things he said was that the other band members said things like 'dude, that sound like the pumpkins', and this pissed billy off, as what did they expect seeming that two out of four pumpkins where in zwan.
I remember reading that. I think Billy likes to be part of musics future, and saying his new music is similar to the music he made years ago would hurt him in some ways.

DeusExMachina
08-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Corgan tries very hard to be progressive, which somewhat hurts his fan base, because a lot of the fans would rather just stick with the Pumpkins stuff.

+zero+
08-18-2005, 11:45 AM
I never new this thread was here.

There where a similar sound to the pumpkins, that was one of the reasons why Zwan split up.

Listen to the unrealsed Zwan stuff, like Spilled Milk and Riverview, they sound alot like the pumpkins. The reason that they (zwan) didnt release any of the 'good' songs, was for the point that they sounded like SP.

interesting...billys got problems.. ?

Chris
08-18-2005, 11:57 AM
interesting...billys got problems.. ?

Not really, he is just abit of a how can i put it, control freak.

Duckhysteria
08-18-2005, 01:10 PM
so what era of the pumpkins did Zwan actualy sound like?

besakol
08-18-2005, 08:30 PM
zwan sounds nothing like sp. sp was always either whiny or mellow. zwan was kind of...umm...bright... at least for the album stuff, zwan sounded nothing like sp.

i have gish, siamese, pisces iscariot, melon collie and rotten apples. i think melon collie is a bit overrated as not all the songs are good. it's still a great album nonetheless.

siamese dream on the other hand, is a real quality album. gish is good too, it contains some of my favorites. (snail, bury me, tristessa)

pisces is the least talked about since it contains lots of b-sides but it's worth listening to.

what i'd really love to get my hands on is the ep that contained drown and the ep that contained smiley. it had mostly live tracks if i'm not mistaken.

does anyone here have the non-virgin records? how the hell did you find them?

-edit- pisces does contain just b-sides. it's good though. (check out frail and bedazzled) i just listened to it again after months of collecting dust. i looked at the cover art and just now, i realized that the green **** on the front was actually a person. hahahaha.

+zero+
08-19-2005, 12:16 AM
of the cds i have of the pumpkins, ide say my least favorite is machina..its not that i think its bad, but i like the stuff before it more..

rata
08-19-2005, 03:39 AM
Corgan tries very hard to be progressive, which somewhat hurts his fan base, because a lot of the fans would rather just stick with the Pumpkins stuff.

if he really wants to be progressive, i think he needs iha to provide him with that type of sound

Chris
08-19-2005, 04:18 AM
zwan sounds nothing like sp. sp was always either whiny or mellow. zwan was kind of...umm...bright... at least for the album stuff, zwan sounded nothing like sp.
Not true, get some of the non released album stuff, they sound alot like the pumpkins, here, this is the BBC sessons, you need to have winnap to play them though as they are in FLAC, listen to riverview and spilled milk, you will see what i mean.
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=25635&from=browseRecent

does anyone here have the non-virgin records? how the hell did you find them?

Not sure if you mean these,
http://rspaa.niluje.net/data/Demos/

Skit
08-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Not sure if you mean these,
http://rspaa.niluje.net/data/Demos/

Awesome thanks :D

Chris
08-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Awesome thanks :D

Lol, that ok. That is a good site for some shows.

Skit
08-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Lol, that ok. That is a good site for some shows.

Yeah I havent heard many pumpkins bootlegs before (never a full set) so this is a real gem for me :P

Im currently checking out the Final Metro Show :thumb:

Chris
08-19-2005, 09:50 AM
The sound on that is terrorable.

I reconmend the United Centre show, it is great. It was the 2nd from last show.

KRASH
08-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I like the Pumpkins, i think their music is good and i want Rotten Apples....btw...is it true about Gerard Way and Corgan?

Chris
08-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I like the Pumpkins, i think their music is good and i want Rotten Apples....btw...is it true about Gerard Way and Corgan?

Short answer.
No.

Kyle
08-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Short answer.
No.
yeah, im not in the mood for getting into that again :lol:

-Obscurity-
08-19-2005, 11:50 AM
billy is trying to convey the idea that he influenced the whole emo movement. i don;t know why billy would wanna associate himself with something like that, but he has been trying real hard to do it.

Actually, I have been noticing alot recently how much emo has drawn from early U2 (War to Joshue Tree era), the guitar sound/style, bass/guitar interaction, and vocal similarities are undeniable. Corgan was part of the transition, but not a primary influence.

i just saw billy corgan on tv. the tonight show. wasent impressed. the drummer played standing up. no bass drum. messed up. the song wasent that hot either. id take pumpkings over corgans solo career

I caught a similar (if not the same) performance on one of the tonight shows of him playing an old cover song. It was rather disapointing to say the least. As talented as Corgan is, he needs the Pumpkins as his vehicle to express it. He just can't stand on his own.

I'd say Gish and Siamese Dream are tops, and Mellon-Collie followed closely.

Pisces Iscariot is often overlooked, IMO.

Tonight Tonight is actually pretty easy to play, it sounds cool though. I wouldn't have come up with some of the things he plays.

I would have never thought of some of the pieces for that song either. He really gave it that "classical" feel. Pure genius.

+zero+
08-20-2005, 10:45 PM
has anyone seen veuphoria? i have the cd earphoria is it just that with footage?

sakic73
08-21-2005, 06:23 AM
has anyone seen veuphoria? i have the cd earphoria is it just that with footage?

Yeah and in between songs there are little home movies made by the band. Funny stuff, especially the one where James interviews Jimmy.

Kyle
08-21-2005, 06:26 AM
the zwan dvd is funny I thought. Jimmy is so awkward when answering questions.

lionelhutz88
08-22-2005, 02:24 AM
a little oof topic, but is it wrong for me to think that D'arcy is hot???

Kyle
08-22-2005, 04:29 AM
no....she can look hot.

sakic73
08-22-2005, 05:25 AM

Why would it be wrong to think she's hot? And for the record, no you're not wrong.

SmashingPumpkin
08-22-2005, 05:33 AM
I think it sucks.

Kyle
08-22-2005, 05:36 AM
I think it sucks.
thats constructive.

SmashingPumpkin
08-22-2005, 05:37 AM
thats constructive.
I know. <3

It sounds like 80s garbage?

Kyle
08-22-2005, 05:40 AM
I know. <3

It sounds like 80s garbage?
in your oppinion?

ThePanicInNeedlePark
08-22-2005, 06:09 AM
Anyone else rate the machina album I think its amazing.

rata
08-22-2005, 06:36 AM
no....she can look hot.

if she's not wasted, i guess... saw her in japan once and she seems to be hot...but i dunno now.

Kyle
08-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I do. I still don't think its one of their strongest albums, but it has some truely great tracks on it.

if she's not wasted, i guess... saw her in japan once and she seems to be hot...but i dunno now.
Yeah, I havn't seen any recent pictures. She can look kinda wierd too.

-Obscurity-
08-22-2005, 12:33 PM
I do. I still don't think its one of their strongest albums, but it has some truely great tracks on it.

Stand Inside Your Love was my favorite. Some of the songs were just really out there, though.

Kyle
08-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Stand Inside Your Love was my favorite. Some of the songs were just really out there, though.
yeah, I really Like I of the Mourning and Stand inside your love. I didn;t really like Heavy Metal Machine, but other than that it's a great album.

-Obscurity-
08-22-2005, 12:49 PM
yeah, I really Like I of the Mourning and Stand inside your love. I didn;t really like Heavy Metal Machine, but other than that it's a great album.

I didn't like the overly fuzzy distortion used on Heavy Metal Machine and a few other songs. Yeah, I of the Mourning was a good song too.

lionelhutz88
08-22-2005, 01:27 PM
I didn't like the overly fuzzy distortion used on Heavy Metal Machine and a few other songs. Yeah, I of the Mourning was a good song too.

Yeah, the everlasting Gaze has that same sound. I kind of like it though. Heavy Metal Machine's biggest problem is that it goes on too ling. It should be 3 minutes instead of 6...

-Obscurity-
08-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah, the everlasting Gaze has that same sound.

It does work better on that song, but for the most part I still don't like it. It tends to clutter up the recording.

Donnie Darko
08-22-2005, 09:51 PM
-edit- pisces does contain just b-sides. it's good though. (check out frail and bedazzled) i just listened to it again after months of collecting dust. i looked at the cover art and just now, i realized that the green **** on the front was actually a person. hahahaha.

take the booklet out (i think) and find the picture of a fish ... and look at it infront of a light.

+zero+
08-22-2005, 11:50 PM
i like the everlasting gaze.. thats probly my favorite song off the album. the fuzziness can be annoying tho.

lionelhutz88
08-22-2005, 11:53 PM
take the booklet out (i think) and find the picture of a fish ... and look at it infront of a light.

what happens???

InChains
08-23-2005, 01:07 AM
mellan collie was a complete epic masterpiece of an album.

lionelhutz88
08-23-2005, 01:20 AM
mellan collie was a complete epic masterpiece of an album.

yes it was. It's one of my favorites if not my absolute favorite album of the 90's.

Kyle
08-23-2005, 04:31 AM
Yeah I have to agree with you there. Although like LionelHutz88 I do think it works well on The Everlasting Gaze, it's mainly the lyrics on Heavy Metal Machine which I dislike.

Did any of you guys ever hear Machina 2? which is available to download from
http://www.billy-corgan.com/downloads/mp3/index.php

mellon collie was a complete epic masterpiece of an album.I agree. I think there was a certain amount of filler on it but it can only be expected from a double album

-Obscurity-
08-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Did any of you guys ever hear Machina 2? which is available to download from
http://www.billy-corgan.com/downloads/mp3/index.php

Yeah, I got that when it was first released. Some of it was good, but some of it was horrible due largely to awful production. Cash Car Star was my favorite, I saw them play it on Jay Leno. It sounded great.

I agree. I think there was a certain amount of filler on it but it can only be expected from a double album

Mellon Collie was awesome, but I think it had enough filler to where it could have been reduced to just one cd, with the b-sides released seperately or on the Aeroplane Flies High.

Kyle
08-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I got that when it was first released. Some of it was good, but some of it was horrible due largely to awful production. Cash Car Star was my favorite, I saw them play it on Jay Leno. It sounded great.
Glass Car Star is a class song, my Favorite on Machina 2 is probably Let me give the world to you.

I think you're right, they could probably fit Mellon Collie on to one album, but it would be a very large album, and they would probably miss songs out that I really like. I think its better to have the dual-disc so you have the option of listening to whatever songs you like best.

BTW, we have a huge Billy Corgan Appreication thread over in Alt&Indie. If you feel like checking it out heres the link;
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9312442#post9312442

-Obscurity-
08-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Cash Car Star is a class song, my Favorite on Machina 2 is probably Let me give the world to you.

I think you're right, they could probably fit Mellon Collie on to one album, but it would be a very large album, and they would probably miss songs out that I really like. I think its better to have the dual-disc so you have the option of listening to whatever songs you like best.

BTW, we have a huge Billy Corgan Appreication thread over in Alt&Indie. If you feel like checking it out heres the link;
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9312442#post9312442

Do you have any idea why some of the recordings on Machina II are so lo-fi?

I'm going to check out the BC appreciation thread right now, and I am also downloading the mashed potatoes boxed set off www.billycorgan.com.

Kyle
08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Do you have any idea why some of the recordings on Machina II are so lo-fi?

I'm going to check out the BC appreciation thread right now, and I am also downloading the mashed potatoes boxed set off www.billycorgan.com.
no, all the videos from that site are pretty low quality too, it's annoying because some of them are really good. I havn't checked out the Mashed Potatoes box set yet.

+zero+
08-23-2005, 11:31 AM
i didnt know about machina 2.. i need to check that out

-Obscurity-
08-23-2005, 11:48 AM
no, all the videos from that site are pretty low quality too, it's annoying because some of them are really good. I havn't checked out the Mashed Potatoes box set yet.

Seems to be a lot of demos and live tracks, most of the quality is pretty low on them as well. I wish there was an option to download the whole set at once rather than clicking through a bunch of seperate windows track by track.

-Obscurity-
08-23-2005, 11:48 AM
i didnt know about machina 2.. i need to check that out

Yeah, there is some good stuff on there.

Kyle
08-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Seems to be a lot of demos and live tracks, most of the quality is pretty low on them as well. I wish there was an option to download the whole set at once rather than clicking through a bunch of seperate windows track by track.
I know. Downloading Machina 2 from there is hell!

Donnie Darko
08-23-2005, 07:16 PM
You may as well download them from Soulseek. There are a number of guys serving a huge amount of Pumpkins sets. All complete. There was once a hub on DC++ with people serving pumpkins only... Those were the days.

whatduffhuck7
08-23-2005, 10:45 PM
You may as well download them from Soulseek. There are a number of guys serving a huge amount of Pumpkins sets. All complete. There was once a hub on DC++ with people serving pumpkins only... Those were the days.

show some respect and buy some cd's

the problems you have, you are having a hard time downloading entire albums for free. i fell bad for you

Kyle
08-24-2005, 03:56 AM

the problems you have, you are having a hard time downloading entire albums for free. i fell bad for you
Your missunderstanding us. Machina 2 is only available for Download. I own every Pumpkins studio album and I have been collectiong Bootlegs off the internet in an attempt to add to the collection I have Purchased. Billy Corgan is actually very cool about making his music available, he put his new album on his myspace website just afew days after it came out.

SmashingPumpkin
08-24-2005, 04:14 AM
in your oppinion?
Yes, of course.

SmashingPumpkin
08-24-2005, 04:15 AM
I love it. It's probably my favorite album after Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie.

horseypie
08-24-2005, 05:19 AM
i could never get into machina....it bugged me

everlasting gaze and stand inside your love were good tho

raise your hand if you have their last show bootleg? *raises hand*

Kyle
08-24-2005, 05:32 AM
*raises hand.

Am I part of your club now?

horseypie
08-24-2005, 05:59 AM
yes. yes you are. lets make a "i have the pumpkins last show bootlegged" club.

i'll make the badges. you can be treasurer.

Kyle
08-24-2005, 06:27 AM
yes. yes you are. lets make a "i have the pumpkins last show bootlegged" club.

i'll make the badges. you can be treasurer.
oh ****, I wanted to make the badges.

Skit
08-24-2005, 10:13 AM
*Raises Hand*

Now wheres my badge!?

+zero+
08-24-2005, 01:06 PM
i like the 2nd song on machina .. "rain falls on everyone" idk what its called..but its a good song.

-Obscurity-
08-24-2005, 01:35 PM
i like the 2nd song on machina .. "rain falls on everyone" idk what its called..but its a good song.

Yeah, the atmospheric sounds on that song are cool.

lionelhutz88
08-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Machina just felt so depressing. Even more than previous albums. I don't know why, and I can't put my finger on it, but it just was so sad for some reason...

Kyle
08-24-2005, 01:37 PM
*Raises Hand*

Now wheres my badge!?
Don't ask me I'm the Treasurer

..........................lousy Horseman and his badge-making dictatorship

Rain falls on everyone is a great song, its got a really big sound, infact that album is big sounding in general.

Machina just felt so depressing. Even more than previous albums. I don't know why, and I can't put my finger on it, but it just was so sad for some reason...Sadder than 'adore'?! I like the melancholic feel to the later albums, if they had kept the same sound they wouldn't have been as special. The fact that they can do both styles shows great diversity.

lionelhutz88
08-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Maybe it has become sadder for me because it was their last real album. I guess it just plays into me missing them. I really hope Billy gets them all back together, and that includes D'arcy. She may not be THE most important of them all, but I'd like to see her back, for the sake of nostalgia.

500th post.

Kyle
08-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I really hope Billy gets them all back together, and that includes D'arcy. She may not be THE most important of them all, but I'd like to see her back, for the sake of nostalgia.
I think we all want to see that happy family together again. Mods closed the BC appreciation thread in Alt&Indie So I need a new thread to call home on MX. I think I'm going to vent my Smashing Pumpkins thoughts here for a while at least.

Donnie Darko
08-24-2005, 04:29 PM

Ah... I was actually talking about downloading rare demos (never released) and obviously bootlegs. And yes, Machina II.

And for your information, I have gone out of my way to pay respects to BC by buying stuff. For example, I have bought all of the released albums, plus the Judas O edition of Rotten Apples. Along with that, The Aeroplane Flies High Boxset, Earphoria, Vieuphoria, The Smashing Pumpkins DVD, and a whole bunch of other stuff that I cant really think of. Well actually it was my brother who bought most of it, but seeing I live in the same house as him it would hardly be practical to buy a second copy of everything.

And to add to that, also got the Mary Star of the Sea bonus edition (with the DVD) and even bought Blinking With Fists...

lionelhutz88
08-24-2005, 04:59 PM
Just wondering, have you guys read Billy's confessions on his website?? They're just little stories about his life, and they're all very interesting. I came to respect Billy even more after reding them. He's had a rough life. It also talks about some of his time recording and rehersing with the Pumpkins. It's a good read. I highly recommend you read them.

Chris
08-25-2005, 02:48 AM
I was going to post this in the BC thread, but seems as a mod shut it, i will post a link to a post i made in the drum fourm.
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9339966&postcount=4751
It has pictures in it as well. As i meet the band.

And Kyle, Glue_It_Back, -Obscurity-, i have put a post in the ask a mod thread, to see if they will re open the BC thread, as i think that it is unfair.

horseypie
08-25-2005, 04:56 AM
badges are coming people.....you should make them avatars when they come.

the maaaddest club in the world we shall be.

-Obscurity-
08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
I was going to post this in the BC thread, but seems as a mod shut it, i will post a link to a post i made in the drum fourm.
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9339966&postcount=4751
It has pictures in it as well. As i meet the band.

And Kyle, Glue_It_Back, -Obscurity-, i have put a post in the ask a mod thread, to see if they will re open the BC thread, as i think that it is unfair.

Yeah, it sucks that the thread was closed. I saw your pics in the Drum Strongold, they were awesome. Did you get to talk much with Jimmy?

Skit
08-25-2005, 01:58 PM
The Billy threads locked... Tis a sad day :(

lionelhutz88
08-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Oh well, we can discuss Billy's workings here. It all serves the same purpose.

SmashingPumpkin
08-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Just wondering, have you guys read Billy's confessions on his website?? They're just little stories about his life, and they're all very interesting. I came to respect Billy even more after reding them. He's had a rough life. It also talks about some of his time recording and rehersing with the Pumpkins. It's a good read. I highly recommend you read them.
I've read some of them. They are pretty interesting.

Did anyone else notice that when you google Smashing Pumpkins that it says "Coming Soon - Currently redirects to BillyCorgan.com"?

SmashingPumpkin
08-25-2005, 06:07 PM
The Billy threads locked... Tis a sad day :(
How'd that happen?

sakic73
08-25-2005, 07:40 PM
I think we all want to see that happy family together again. Mods closed the BC appreciation thread in Alt&Indie So I need a new thread to call home on MX. I think I'm going to vent my Smashing Pumpkins thoughts here for a while at least.

I know what you mean. I used to enjoy checking the Billy thread every day to see what everyone was saying, I was shocked to find it closed...

Donnie Darko
08-25-2005, 08:43 PM
It did seem a little odd to close it, seeing it was still thriving.

Donnie Darko
08-25-2005, 08:47 PM
So is the final gig at the Metro DVD still coming out in 2006?

Chris
08-26-2005, 04:08 AM
It did seem a little odd to close it, seeing it was still thriving.

It is because the mod's are mean, well that one is. The mods in D&P are great mods.

Billy has given alot of different release dates, so dont take it at face value.

SmashingPumpkin
08-26-2005, 04:33 AM
I sure hope so. :)

lionelhutz88
08-26-2005, 01:44 PM
what was their set like for the last show??
who of you guys were there?

SmashingPumpkin
08-26-2005, 03:58 PM
what was their set like for the last show??
who of you guys were there?

I wasn't there but...here's the setlist.

Act I: Bringing down the sound.

Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Rocket
I Am One
Rhinoceros
Shame
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
The Everlasting Gaze
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Spiteface (Tease)
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
Blissed and Gone
To Sheila
Mayonaise
I of the Mourning

Act II:

Muzzle
Stand Inside Your Love
Perfect
This Time
Go
The Last Song
(Last Instrumental)
Age of Innocence
Thirty-Three

Act III: Let It All Come Down

Tonight, Tonight
Siva
**** You
Drown
Starla
If There Is A God
Cash Car Star
Rock On
Heavy Metal Machine
Today

Encore 1:

For Martha
Born Under A Bad Sign

Encore 2:

Cherub Rock

Encore 3:

Disarm

Encore 4:

Silver****

Chris
08-26-2005, 04:10 PM
And if you want the show, here;
http://rspaa.niluje.net/data/2000/2000-12-02%20Chicago%20IL/

But silver**** is missing parts, as it is about 20minutes long on cd, but it went on for longer then that at the show.

Donnie Darko
08-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Man I would give so much to have been there at that concert.

+zero+
08-27-2005, 04:27 PM
i really hope they reunite.. that would be heaven sent.

lionelhutz88
08-27-2005, 04:35 PM
i really hope they reunite.. that would be heaven sent.

yeah, that would be great. It looks like Billy and Jimmy are good to go, but getting Jams and D'arcy or Auf Der Maur will be tough, but I hope it happens.

SmashingPumpkin
08-28-2005, 03:18 PM
And if you want the show, here;
http://rspaa.niluje.net/data/2000/2000-12-02%20Chicago%20IL/

But silver**** is missing parts, as it is about 20minutes long on cd, but it went on for longer then that at the show.
Thanks for the link! :thumb:

woundedmonkey
08-28-2005, 05:27 PM
they suck

Chris
08-29-2005, 04:12 AM
they suck

And a big thank you goes out to you. That was highly useful.

horseypie
08-29-2005, 05:27 AM
he has a lot of positive input to the thread, i believe. he should become like thread manager, or admin, or something.

The Flabbit Rides High
08-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Apperntly they played a gig in South Africa aswell.

I was 7 or sumtin.

I was stupid. **** Childhood! :D

Kyle
08-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Just got back form Reading Festival, do we have any idea if they are going to re-open the BC thread.

Chris
08-29-2005, 08:12 AM
^^^

I doubt it, you could ask in the indie forum.

Was reading any good?

Kyle
08-29-2005, 08:21 AM
^^^

I doubt it, you could ask in the indie forum.

Was reading any good?
I re-inforced your post in the 'ask a mod' thread.

Reading was awesome, The Pixies were the best show I have ever been too, Dino Jr and Qotsa were great too. Sounds like JC was awesome, cool pictures and I'm glad you got to meet him!

Chris
08-29-2005, 08:24 AM
I re-inforced your post in the 'ask a mod' thread.

Reading was awesome, The Pixies were the best show I have ever been too, Dino Jr and Qotsa were great too. Sounds like JC was awesome, cool pictures and I'm glad you got to meet him!

Reading sounds fun. I didnt rate the line up much, but sounds good.

Chris
08-29-2005, 09:01 AM
O yer, i forgot to ask, can any of you work out what this is?
http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture0353yb.jpg. It was near Gannin side of the stage, And you can see that the handwriting is the same as on the set list.
http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture0256sa.jpg
It was from the JCC gig i went to.

+zero+
08-29-2005, 11:14 AM
i like one song by the pixies.. but its like the only one ive heard.. "Wheres my mind, way out in the water see it swimming". I love that song, especially when they played it live with placebo

-Obscurity-
08-29-2005, 11:25 AM
yeah, that would be great. It looks like Billy and Jimmy are good to go, but getting Jams and D'arcy or Auf Der Maur will be tough, but I hope it happens.

I would really prefer D'arcy, I never thought Auf De Maur had the same chemistry with the band as she did. She was the original bass player after all, and though not the most technical musician, she did play what fit the song well, and brought a certain atmosphere to the band.

Donnie Darko
08-29-2005, 10:00 PM
they suck

hmph

lionelhutz88
08-29-2005, 10:49 PM
I would really prefer D'arcy, I never thought Auf De Maur had the same chemistry with the band as she did. She was the original bass player after all, and though not the most technical musician, she did play what fit the song well, and brought a certain atmosphere to the band.

D'arcy is much hotter, too. :thumb:
I have this video of their concert at Rockaplast in Germany from 1996, and she looks awesome. Maybe it's just the fact that she plays in one of my favorite bands, but I don;t know.

Chris
08-30-2005, 05:54 AM
D'arcy is much hotter, too. :thumb:
I have this video of their concert at Rockaplast in Germany from 1996, and she looks awesome. Maybe it's just the fact that she plays in one of my favorite bands, but I don;t know.

I think that it should be Linda Strawberry, as she is better (looking and musicly) then both.

And she gets on with Billy as well, which is a big help.

+zero+
08-31-2005, 11:30 PM
d'arcy all the way

deadinholywood
09-01-2005, 12:11 AM
na not too big a fan of D'arcy
Hey can anyone answer me why the video of 'the end is the beginning is the end' isnt on the video collection DVD, ive been meaning to find out for ages.
Thanks!

sakic73
09-01-2005, 05:00 AM
Hey can anyone answer me why the video of 'the end is the beginning is the end' isnt on the video collection DVD, ive been meaning to find out for ages.
Thanks!

Yeah I don't know, I wish it was though. I really liked that song/video when it came out when heaps of people thought they had lost the plot and were going all techno. Idiots.

rata
09-01-2005, 08:27 AM
she left after iha stop screwing her.....sorry :upset: she's hot though :thumb: when shes sober

SmashingPumpkin
09-02-2005, 03:37 AM
Thanks!
I don't think they did the song with Virgin Records. And their video collection was released on Virgin Records. So, Virgin did not have the rights to the song/video. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

SmashingPumpkin
09-02-2005, 03:39 AM
she left after iha stop screwing her.....sorry :upset: she's hot though :thumb: when shes sober
Lmao. James and D'Arcy's relationship ended before Siamese Dream came out. So, you're wrong. She did not leave because James stopped screwing her. She left supposedly because she was having problems with Billy and she also had drug problems.

horseypie
09-02-2005, 03:47 AM
and she stopped screwing billy

rata
09-02-2005, 04:13 AM
Lmao. James and D'Arcy's relationship ended before Siamese Dream came out. So, you're wrong. She did not leave because James stopped screwing her. She left supposedly because she was having problems with Billy and she also had drug problems.

well, that could be true...but anyways, somebody was still screwed... :lol:

+zero+
09-04-2005, 03:42 PM
what about the other chick.. was she getting screwed by someone as well?

lionelhutz88
09-04-2005, 03:44 PM
what about the other chick.. was she getting screwed by someone as well?
who, Auf Der Maur? To my knowledge, she took part in no "screwing" with any band members. I could be wrong, though...

+zero+
09-04-2005, 03:45 PM
ok. well thats great. auf der maur was better on bass wasnt she?

lionelhutz88
09-04-2005, 03:50 PM
i'm not positive that she was better, but D'arcy was pretty bad at bass, so it's probably true.

Kyle
09-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I would say so. Billy wrote all the catchiest bass lines that D'arcy played on Gish.

lionelhutz88
09-04-2005, 03:53 PM
didn't Billy write James' guitar parts, too??

Kyle
09-04-2005, 03:59 PM
I don't think so. Sure Billy probably had a great deal of involvement with them, but I'm sure James would have written the majority of them.

Billy and Jimmy wrote the basic structures to nearly all the Pumpkins songs I think.

+zero+
09-05-2005, 02:40 AM
billy did write the whole adore cd tho didnt he?(except drums)

The Persian
09-05-2005, 02:49 AM
am i the only one who thought machina was a great album?

SmashingPumpkin
09-05-2005, 03:38 AM
well, that could be true...but anyways, somebody was still screwed... :lol:
lmao :thumb:

SmashingPumpkin
09-05-2005, 03:38 AM
No, I love it. It's my third favorite from them.

After SD and MCIS of course. :thumb:

SmashingPumpkin
09-05-2005, 03:40 AM
Not sure. But I know D'Arcy had her basslines written for her by Billy. And they aren't too difficult, probably because of the fact that she sucks at bass. :lol:

Chris
09-05-2005, 04:36 AM

I love Machina;Machine's of god, but love freinds and emines(sp) of modern music more.

Kyle
09-05-2005, 05:19 AM
no, we had this discussion a while ago. Most people seem to like it but recognise it is not the strongest of the Pumpkins albums.

+zero+
09-08-2005, 10:41 PM
machinas different, but good.

deadinholywood
09-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Yeah i really like Machina it comes equal 3rd of my favourite pumpkins cds. I think that if it had been done by a new band rather than the pumpkins that it would have been seen as a great album but as the pumpkins had already done MCIS and SD it appears on the outset to be a bit of a let down album

Skit
09-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Yeah thats the problem, You have to live up to or exceed your previous albums ofr it to be deemed any good.

Kyle
09-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeah thats the problem, You have to live up to or exceed your previous albums ofr it to be deemed any good.
Whilst that's true, If the Pumpkins had lots of albums like Siamese Dream they would be accused of not changing their sound. I prefer them to have a varied sound than a consistant one.

SmashingPumpkin
09-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Yeah i really like Machina it comes equal 3rd of my favourite pumpkins cds. I think that if it had been done by a new band rather than the pumpkins that it would have been seen as a great album but as the pumpkins had already done MCIS and SD it appears on the outset to be a bit of a let down album
Yeah, I share the same feelings on this subject.

dr._feelgood
09-09-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm really getting into Smashing Pumpkins lately, which one do you guys recommeend i get first?

NP: 1979 (I love this song so much)

SmashingPumpkin
09-09-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm really getting into Smashing Pumpkins lately, which one do you guys recommeend i get first?

You should get either Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. :thumb:

DeusExMachina
09-09-2005, 07:34 PM

Consider getting Adore. It's a pretty divisive album, it seems like everyone either loves it or hates it. I love it.

dr._feelgood
09-09-2005, 07:35 PM
:amaze: But what if I hate it?

Janitor
09-09-2005, 07:59 PM
I'd get the greatest hits album. That's what I started with.

SmashingPumpkin
09-09-2005, 08:00 PM
I'd get the greatest hits album. That's what I started with.
True. I totally forgot about that. :thumb:

dr._feelgood
09-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Ok, i'll check it out, thanks guys. :thumb:

Chris
09-10-2005, 03:55 AM
Ok, i'll check it out, thanks guys. :thumb:

Why dont you start with Live show's, they are free and show what SP where great at.

MC187
09-10-2005, 04:13 AM
You should get either Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. :thumb:
I'd definately agree with that. those are SPs most solid albums and contain the majority of their hits. MCatIS is my favorite SP album but i think siamese dream tends to get more critical appraise. but those two are both better than the greatest hits. their live shows are ok but i wouldnt judge any band by their lilve performance because a lot of times the sound varies a lot from whats actually been recorded

The Persian
09-10-2005, 09:36 PM
I reckon siamese dream pwns MCIS, I like mellon collie, but I wish there were a few more upbeat songs on there...

and I haven't heard adore yet...I never hear anyone talking about it much

Chris
09-11-2005, 12:55 PM
So what is everybody's favorate pumpkins song then?

Kyle
09-11-2005, 01:16 PM
I can't decide that! I would say either 'mayonaise', 'muzzle', 'perfect' or 'cherub rock'.

btw I would say Siamese Dream is a better place to start than the greatest hits. If you buy a greatest hits first and love the band, it seems a waste going out buying all the albums because you already have the "greatest hits". Might just be me though.

Chris
09-11-2005, 01:18 PM
I can't decide that! I would say either 'mayonaise', 'muzzle', 'perfect' or 'cherub rock'.

btw I would say Siamese Dream is a better place to start than the greatest hits. If you buy a greatest hits first and love the band, it seems a waste going out buying all the albums because you already have the "greatest hits". Might just be me though.

I can decide on my favorate song, Let me give the world to you. I love that song.

Im not to sure on greatest hits, as msot of the time, the songs on them arnt that great.

MC187
09-11-2005, 01:22 PM
it changes all the time, but currently, probably "muzzle" or..."tonight, tonight"

SmashingPumpkin
09-11-2005, 03:42 PM
I reckon siamese dream pwns MCIS, I like mellon collie, but I wish there were a few more upbeat songs on there...

and I haven't heard adore yet...I never hear anyone talking about it much
Adore is a very different album. It doesn't really feel like the Pumpkins, in my opinion. But I still love it. The other albums are far superior IMO.

SmashingPumpkin
09-11-2005, 03:43 PM
I'll just list a few of my current favorites.

-Mayonaise
-Geek USA
-Soma
-The Boy
-Wound (This song is amazing!)
-Perfect
-Zero
-Here Is No Why

Dried Muffin Remnants
09-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Siva, I Am One, Zero, Ava Adora, Silver****, Geek USA

+zero+
09-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Ide say cherub rock or zero

Flaminghotchino
09-11-2005, 10:49 PM
if ya'll really love the pumpkins go vote for them in the ultimate modern rock band poll at the top of the page.

horseypie
09-12-2005, 02:25 AM
pffft

toolt my vote

Skit
09-12-2005, 05:18 AM
Strangely I think Silverfuck is my favorite song, Its just got some weird changes and atmosperic things happening in there.

Other than that I'd say Tonight, Tonight or To Forgive

:thumb:

penelope_weird_hands
09-12-2005, 05:21 AM
here's afew off each cd that i love off the top of my head.

i am one, bury me, snail
soma, geek usa, silverfvuck
porcelina of the vast of oceans, here is no why, fvuck you (an ode to noone)
tales of a scorched earth, thru the eyes of ruby, x.y.u
pug, the tale of dusty and pistol pete, behold! the nightmare
whir, obscured, starla
glass and the ghost children, wound, i of the mourning
dross, cash car star, in my body

mmm. pumpkins.

Spiritofmosa
09-12-2005, 09:21 AM
i'm listening to disc one off the smashing pumpkins greatest hits.. i didnt know they were electronica, eg song like eye..ava adore..perfect