PDA

View Full Version : Brice - HXB-406FL

Foxfire
07-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Hey guys,

As you people know, I've been playing around on my Conklin for a while and, well, haven't gotten a new bass in a while. Pancake is pissed at me for my Conklin still, and I <3 him.

Playing an ERB and exploring the extra range it gives me has given me a whole new way to express myself. I played my very first fretless at a Guitar Center on Halsted in Chicago, Illinois a couple months ago, and it was really fun. I didn't get the chance to mess with it very much though, as there were other basses I wanted to try (Fretlesses never get sold at the GCs around me; the new basses get sold like THAT though.) Because I felt like getting a new bass (a fretless one, at that), I started saving money and whatnot and doing a bunch of research on fretlesses. An extended-range bass, I figured, would be an awesome new way to express myself.

I searched Talkbass and here for reviews and such on the Brice HXB-406. Seemed like a hot bass. I talked for a long time with a bunch of people about my plans to get one (Thanks for putting up with me, haha).

I really wanted the HXB-406FL in Bubinga top, but, unfortunately, the day I was going to pay, the Bubinga one no longer showed up on Kurt's site! (I wanted it, goddamnit) I emailed him and he offered me a floor model for 225 USD shipped. I took it.

This was the weekend of the fourth of July, so I didn't get it until last friday. It came at around 6:30 CST, and it came right before I was going to start a thread about how much UPS sucks. I was out, and my parents took it for me.

So, here's a review that people have wanted on one of the basses that has, arguably, the most bang for the buck: the
http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/4920/im0006248tn.jpg

HXB-406 Fretless

This took 5 days to come to me, which is the longest anything I've ever bought off the internet has ever taken. I blame it on UPS.

Initial impressions
I was really excited to pull this out of the box. It was quite well packed. It was packed in something like 3 boxes (I got confused).

Right out of the box, I was absolutely amazed by the Bubinga top.
That picture doesn't do it justice. The flame is simply gorgeous. I really like how it offsets my Conklin. :p
http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/2403/im0006192mh.jpg

The bass was in near perfect condition, and it was a floor model. However, it being a floor model, I was not surprised to find string marks on the fretboard; people have told me, however, that flatwounds do this to Roswood fretboards, and that I shouldn't be worried about it. There appears to be a part of the wood that was scratched off from bending the strings. I don't notice it, so I don't really care (it's near the 17th-18th position).

Now, someone complained about how the side dots weren't where the fret would be. This is a really annoying complaint (which I know put off people from buying one): the dots are where you'd find the dots on a normal bass. I've found that this helped me get used to the unlined fretboard easier.

The black hardware accents the bubinga very well. All the hardware looks sturdy.

The setup is INCREDIBLE. I got it on friday and I'm still, right now, playing how it was setup right out of the box. It is amazing. I am getting a wonderful amount of growl and mwah...with flatwounds. It's wonderful. I'm getting a Jaco-like growl, and I don't play at the bridge. I was originally going to poly the fretboard so I could use rounds to get more mwah but man, I don't think I will anymore. The only thing I'm not particularly fond of is the action on the B...it's choking the string a bit and it's not ringing as clearly. This is a minor complaint, and I'll change it when I'm not lazy.

People have wondered about changing out the pickups. I don't think I will. I get an amazing tone with them that I like. :p

Tone (with clips!)
The tone on this thing is awesome. I love it so much I just set and forget it.
Here's a clip of the bass directly plugged in...I'm not really proud of it, or my playing, but I think you can hear the tone decently well. As you can hear, my intonation isn't particularly good yet. :p Excuse my sucky playing. :( To be fair, it wasn't really meant to have any groove or anything. :p

Warning: Clip is a 5:14 minute MP3. I obviously went overboard. There's a mix of me just messing around and random parts of other peoples' songs.
http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1R0AXFK7KV05331TEM3UWL204J
http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=25QBYPR56Y8WO2UQIPNU2S9QER

Final thoughts
This bass is incredible. To me, it is better than Warwick Corvette fretlesses. People will disagree or call me crazy, but I really like this bass.
The setup is impeccable, the tone is wonderful.

How does it compare to my Conklin? I love it. It's the next best thing to a fretless Conklin GT-7 in my opinion. It is simply wonderful.

I had not previously played this bass. Generally I agree with the "try before you buy" philosophy, but the bass seemed so awesome. Do I regret buying it?

Fuck no.

I do, however have something to say about "Buy a Brice and you get what you pay for."

Those people who said that?

They lied.

You get much much more.

So here are two more pics for people (Including one of ME with the bass)

Family photo:
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/1746/im0006177kk.jpg

Foxfire (me) being Bailey AND Myung at the same time.
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/5510/im0006385zq.jpg

Anyone considering buying one:
just do it.

They're that good.

-Thanks to Sade for letting me hear his (he got his before me)
-Thanks to LEC for putting up with my incessant banter
-Thanks to Radio for helping make me want a fretless

~Fox

Foxfire
07-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Two more pics:

Me and My Bass Guitar (don't sue Wooten kthx) :amaze:
http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/3295/im0006400bp.jpg

Better view of the wonderful flame
http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/8059/im0006313ue.jpg

Left Shoe
07-13-2005, 09:53 PM
kick *** dude, very very nice buy, though i dont like the warwick comment :thumb:

Low_End_Communications
07-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Awesome, it makes me want one. You look different than I thought you would but heh, I didn't know you were so young until a couple days ago anyway!

Sade
^I just got one as well. It's just as Foxfire said it was...although I do think he got a little carried away with his review...

Foxfire
kick *** dude, very very nice buy, though i dont like the warwick comment :thumb:

It's realllllllllly close. It really is. The Brice is just barely better, though.

Because, as we know, the Corvette fretless is pretty much the best non-custom fretless available.

;)

Foxfire
^I just got one as well. It's just as Foxfire said it was...although I do think he got a little carried away with his review...

I figure I write a review like that, all questions answered.

;)

(Yeah, I went overboard. :p)

Left Shoe
07-13-2005, 09:57 PM
It's realllllllllly close. It really is. The Brice is just barely better, though.

Because, as we know, the Corvette fretless is pretty much the best non-custom fretless available.

;)
and i love you

Manticore Guy
07-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Awesome.... I was thinking about getting one of those from Rondomusic.net. I'm guessing now I should get it?

Sade
07-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Man, this sucks. This is going to be just like your Conklin, Fox.

Once one of us gets one, EVERYBODY does. :-)

Foxfire
07-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Man, this sucks. This is going to be just like your Conklin, Fox.

Once one of us gets one, EVERYBODY does. :-)

****!

I didn't think of that.

;)

Low_End_Communications
07-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Edit It All! Say It's Crap!

CrookedFingers
07-13-2005, 10:07 PM
:'(, I had a fretted one but it was the 34" one so I sold it to a friend... Now I want a fretted one... I wonder if perhaps I should buy another one.

A FLOOR MODEL!

PS: Mine was also a floor model and was in mint condition.

White_Summer
07-13-2005, 10:42 PM
great bass, but one question do you play upright? because you thumb screams it in that one pic n e ways yeah

Andre_gt7
07-13-2005, 10:50 PM
very nice review, kick *** bass

Dzrael
07-13-2005, 10:52 PM
That's great news that you finally received it. (yeah, I really dislike UPS too. :thumb: FedEX is great @ getting things to me fast.)

You have quite the collection too, the Cort, the Conklin, and now the Brice. (And the P-bass, but I'm not even going to try guessing.. so I'm not good @ guessing games and I don't want to sound like a retard for getting it wrong.)

I was going to get the Bricer sixer, but somehow I ended up with the lovely Curbow 6. Glad you're happy with your fretless! *goes to listen to your samples.*

Andre_gt7
07-13-2005, 10:53 PM
whats that Victor Wooten song you played?

sixner
07-13-2005, 10:54 PM
man.. this just basically sold me on a brice 6'er... i was gonna go with a cort so i can actually play it before i buy it.. but as much as i hear about brice's and how great, i think im gonna go for it... just need to save up the money now, haha.

it sounds great though man, congrats on it.

oh, and yeah, UPS sucks balls.... took them forever to get my ampeg head here... a hole's.
-sixner

sixner
07-13-2005, 10:55 PM
whats that Victor Wooten song you played?

oh, its Overjoyed...
my fav :)
-sixner

led_zeppelin5022
07-13-2005, 10:58 PM
i'm also gonna be getting one but i'm debating if i want fretted or fretless

Andre_gt7
07-13-2005, 10:59 PM
not overjoyed, the other one =) the really jazzy fingerstyle one

CrookedFingers
07-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Hooray for Brice!

I think I'm going to email Kurt to see if he has any HXB fivers in stock.

Naveed Afzal
07-13-2005, 11:22 PM
**** Foxy... i must reallt be drun k vie fread this post like eightxs times and i keep forgets tinng to rekoply but an yways... Nibice bass man i sweatt hat **** looks dope and i hope it playus a nd sunds like aa ****ing DREAM!

sanray
07-13-2005, 11:33 PM
I got the six fretted model last year and i loved it to, great little beast but ups took like a whole week to get it here bastards.

JoeDaddio
07-14-2005, 01:10 AM
Nice man. Very nice. Congrats on the new purchase :thumb:

I tried to get Ace to sell me his Brice 6 string a while back. bastard wouldn't budge. Maybe that's why I have this tremendous fear of 6 strings. ;)

joe

Saitoku
07-14-2005, 01:26 AM
Nice toes, man.

Oh yeah, the bass is alright, too, I guess...

:naughty:

Crudd-Bucket™
07-14-2005, 01:55 AM
Sweet bass man... in your first sample recording what was the name of that Primus and Victor Wooten song (not Overjoyed) you played ?

blizzard
07-14-2005, 01:59 AM
that bass is hot, though I don't think it would suit me though. Congrats

:cool: Adam - SC

AlmightyPancake
07-14-2005, 02:31 AM
****er.

<3

FunkMetalBass
07-14-2005, 03:21 AM
I'm looking into the HXB-406 fretted in Black Quilted. I am considering it highly.

skingle
07-14-2005, 03:23 AM
Congrats that is absolutely beautiful

Alma
07-14-2005, 03:45 AM
Great bass man.

Feet are better yes....

:naughty:

popinfresh
07-14-2005, 04:13 AM
I didn't really see a need to single out a warwick, lol, they get enough bashing :p

Nice score, not a fan of the sound though, IMO it's lifeless.

But if your happy, that's all that matters ;)

TheIdiotBox
07-14-2005, 04:40 AM
Great buy man, have fun with it :thumb:

Jaco
07-14-2005, 05:05 AM
Congrats, my man!!

I'm really happy you're so happy with your new purchase. I'm sure you'll do it justice!!

I expect a few Steve Bailey tunes on my desk by the end of today.

Kind regards

Mike

red_zeppelin
07-14-2005, 05:07 AM
Congrats man. Great buy. i was never to fond of six strings but still that looks awsome, enjoy it!

Visti
07-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Are these only available in the US?

It seems like a damn good buy, but I live in Denmark, so..

Wintermute
07-14-2005, 05:41 AM
For that price, I'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat. Good for you!

Would you mind if I copied this thread into the gear reviews section?

Chris K
07-14-2005, 05:56 AM
I wouldnt mind a Fretless 6 to mess around on, Maybes I'll convince Chris K to sell his Vintage 4 string and somehow get a Brice :evil:

EDIT: This post was made by Esp Griffyn, apparently Chris K forgot to log out...

RideTheTiger
07-14-2005, 06:07 AM
:D What a beauty! That's how a bass should look!

Damrod
07-14-2005, 06:41 AM
For that price, I'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat. Good for you!

Would you mind if I copied this thread into the gear reviews section?

I had the exact same thoughts when I read the review. Would make a great addition to the hardware section.

Thunder Fingers
07-14-2005, 07:18 AM
thats the only 6 string im gonna get(and thats becouse its fretless... then it can sit in a corner and be used more than i would use a fretless 4 or a standard 6 string...) or maby i should go acustic fretless...:p

Naveed Afzal
07-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Are these only available in the US?

It seems like a damn good buy, but I live in Denmark, so..

I do believe you guys have a similar company called 'vintage basses' i think WM has one.

sheephead
07-14-2005, 07:45 AM
They don't do six string fretlesses, though :p

acexxxoasis
07-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Im not an ERB so I got tired of my 6 but they are great and if you do get tired of it you can always sell it for like more then you paid like me lol

Naveed Afzal
07-14-2005, 08:01 AM
I want a bass with 48 Frets..

Visti
07-14-2005, 08:15 AM
I do believe you guys have a similar company called 'vintage basses' i think WM has one.

Really? Then I'm gonna have to look into that. Thanks!

Edit: Arh, while they also seem to have a good bang to buck ratio, they don't make sixstrings. Shame.

Low_End_Communications
07-14-2005, 08:39 AM
I want a bass with 48 Frets..

If you got a 36" scale bass with a Lightwave pickup, I think you could fit 48 frets in there.

Esp Griffyn
07-14-2005, 09:15 AM

Chris K, Machines of hate and Wintermute all have the same model of Vintage 4 string fretless bass, with active electronics and a Bubinga body.

Naveed Afzal
07-14-2005, 09:35 AM
who the hell is he Chris K guy i keep hearing about.

Esp Griffyn
07-14-2005, 09:37 AM
who the hell is he Chris K guy i keep hearing about.

My twin Brother, a newly Joined Mxerand the Main mod on Stuart Hamm's forums :thumb:

mr_coffeekiller
07-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Chris K, Machines of hate and Wintermute all have the same model of Vintage 4 string fretless bass, with active electronics and a Bubinga body.

Jamie_dunce is thinking of getting one too, after playing WM's. :thumb:

mastrrbasser
07-14-2005, 11:12 AM
the wooten song is the vision

and the primus song is tommy the cat.

good playing, i liked teen town. Sounds great, have fun with it.

Foxfire
07-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey guys,

The song that people seem to have trouble identifying is Sex in a Pan, by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Or, I think that's the one? I play it at around 2:42. The other two Wooten tunes I played were Overjoyed and the beginning of Classical Thump (Some hate slapping on a fretless, I thought it'd get a funny response :p)

Alex: Feel free to move it. ;) I just put it here because I know people are interested in this bass and I don't know how many go to the reviews section.

Jaco: I should probably learn some Bailey tunes, huh?

People wondering why I singled out the Corvette: Only other fretless I've played. :p Apparently, it turned out to be a rather good fretless, and according to lots of people, one of the best on the market that's not custom...I thought I'd throw it in there as (A) a comparison and (B) to piss some off. :p

nisakss
07-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Congrats Fox, nice looking bass, and I really like its tone in the recordings.

led_zeppelin5022
07-14-2005, 11:50 AM
nice bass man. and i was wondering if i could do all those false harmonics on a freted 6er i can do them now on my 4 string but there not coming out very clean is it easier on a fretless.and would dream theater stuff sound any good on a frettles? thanks

FunkMetalBass
07-14-2005, 12:02 PM
If you got a 36" scale bass with a Lightwave pickup, I think you could fit 48 frets in there.

You could fit 48 frets on any scale, because they are fractions and fractions can get infinitely smaller.

With 48 frets on a 36" scale, you would only have about 2.25" for a pickup. But if you used a lightwave, then you have a 2.25" gap.

With those specs, the distance between the 47th and 48th fret would only be about one tenth of an inch. Now we are talking fret spacing like a mandolin.

Foxfire
07-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Congrats Fox, nice looking bass, and I really like its tone in the recordings.

Thanks, I've really enjoyed playing it.

It's making me wonder why I didn't get a fretless bass before. :p

I originally planned to change out some of the hardware and polyurethane the fretboard, but I've scrapped that idea.

sanray
07-14-2005, 03:28 PM
yeah I got a dean fretless 5stringer and fretless5s are the best

Left Shoe
07-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Jaco: I should probably learn some Bailey tunes, huh?

ive got some transcriptions from bass extremes if you want them.

id consider getting one of these but i think its besst to have matching fretless and fretted basses. so im going to get a fretless trb 6p and be happy, now if brice made an upright id be all over that

Phalanx
07-14-2005, 03:54 PM
man, after hearing it, I really think this should be the fretless sixer i'll eventually get, where can you get them in the UK?

tenorbass
07-14-2005, 05:10 PM
your basses are great man. the 6 looks very cool.

Chameleon
07-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Nice toe :thumb:

JebusChrist
07-14-2005, 05:42 PM
man i want one now
it's either one of these or a used SWR Bassic Black combo... so tempted to just get the brice and trade in my fender mim pbass

Phalanx
07-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Two more pics:

Me and My Bass Guitar (don't sue Wooten kthx) :amaze:
http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/3295/im0006400bp.jpg

Why is your place such a dump by the way?

pukeboy66
07-14-2005, 05:51 PM
bout **** time you wrote a review :thumb:

Teh Glees0rz
07-14-2005, 05:57 PM
That 6 string looks extremely sexy, and from what I heard in your recordings, nice warm tone. Made me feel gooey inside :p. Have fun with it!

I also see you have a Curbow 4. I want one of those so badly :upset:. What's it like?

sixxbassist90
07-17-2005, 01:55 AM
does that come fretted?

sixxbassist90
07-26-2005, 10:50 PM
hey foxfire, i see you have a cort curbow 4, im thinkin of getting that for my second bass, do you reccomend it?

Self Titled Bassist
07-27-2005, 06:44 PM
fox, does that have the fret markers on the side of the neck ie. for third fifth seventh nineth etc.????