PDA

View Full Version : The Blues

Pages : [1] 2

magicbus
07-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Here goes nothing...

I've heard people talking about wanting an entire blues forum added, but I don't think we'd have enough people interested. So I decided to make a blues thread. If you love blues, blues rock, or anything else pertaining to blues, we can talk about it here.

Enjoy :thumb:

To get it started, last night I had the chance to see Buddy Guy perform. Not only is he one of my favorite blues musicians, but he's also a large influence on my guitar playing. It was a great show, and he can still jam like nobody's business. Any other Buddy Guy fans?

EDIT: Blues Mailing List (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459465)

Here is a thread where you can request/upload blues albums. Check it out and help keep it alive.

BlackDeathMetalJazz or really ANYTHING else please-
07-13-2005, 06:31 PM
I REALLY want some Buddy Guy.

*1st post*

magicbus
07-13-2005, 06:32 PM
I'll upload some if you'd like. I have a few songs from his early career (still looking for more), a few newer albums, and some acoustic ones as well.

robo2448
07-13-2005, 06:37 PM
I have Alone and Acoustic with Junior Wells. It's amazing. Seeing him live must have been awesome.

07-13-2005, 06:39 PM
As much as I REALLY want to say yes to that I'm supposed to have my computer reformated and I only have limted number of blank CD's and I have tons of music already that have to get burned off. :-/

Can you do it in like 2 weeks maybe? :)

magicbus
07-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Yea no problem :thumb:

Alone and Acoustic is one of the acoustic one's I have. It's awesome, and Junior Wells is a sweet harp player. I also have Blues Singer.

EDIT: I'd have to say Chicago, but I also like both a lot.

Illmatic
07-13-2005, 06:40 PM
What do you guys prefer: Chicago Blues or Delta Blues?

I'm a big fan of both but I prefer delta blues. Not by much though.

robo2448
07-13-2005, 06:42 PM
What do you guys prefer: Chicago Blues or Delta Blues?

I'm a big fan of both but I prefer delta blues. Not by much though.

Don't know the difference. I think I've heard Robert Johnson described as delta blues though, so I'll go with that one.

Glitterati
07-13-2005, 06:43 PM
I prefer delta blues. Wasn't Muddy Waters delta blues?

07-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Delta blues for sure. Every Sunday mourning at 7 AM one of the lower level radio stations will go on a 7 hour Blues marathon. It's pretty ****in sweet. :D

Illmatic
07-13-2005, 06:44 PM
I think Muddy, over the span of his career, went from delta to Chicago.

vlcmlumenouslama
07-13-2005, 07:17 PM
muddy invented chicago blues

ATM
07-13-2005, 08:47 PM
My grandfather is teaching me how to play the blues on the piano. It's pretty fun.

cobert
07-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Can somebody please explain the difference between delta and Chicago blues to me? Thanks in advance.

Im not really entirely into blues, but im open to anything new to try out playing on bass and the blues has some cool basslines to it.

Woodstock
07-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Anyone have any Paul Butterfield Blues Band?

Daniel!
07-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Muddy Waters owns. And so do a bunch of those old bluesman. Haven't thier been some other blues threads recently though?

magicbus
07-13-2005, 09:35 PM
I don't know about other blues threads, maybe there has been a few.

Woodstock, I don't have any Paul Butterfield Blues Band, but he was pretty cool on the Last Waltz, and he's really good at harmonica.

Stonefree
07-13-2005, 10:07 PM
I post in every **** blues thread there is but the always sink away.

Of course I like the blues.

I'm listening to Booker T and the MGS right now there kinda bluesy I guess.

Lowell Fulson is a cool Chicago blues guy but I think I also prefer Delta. Um, also John Lee Hooker is my favourite Bluesman.

PinkFreud
07-14-2005, 12:43 AM
i prefer chicago.

and i too saw buddy guy. just tonight actually. he can still tear it up like no ones business. he also walked very close to me whilst soloing, as he went through the audience. so freaking cool. i got a t shirt and an autographed poster.

Glitterati
07-14-2005, 01:54 AM
Jimi Hendrix, in my opinion, was one of the first guys to really play the blues LOUD.

magicbus
07-14-2005, 10:13 AM
I just listened to "Jimi Hendrix: Blues" yesterday. He does some pretty interesting takes on the songs.

josh3xq
07-14-2005, 01:33 PM
I like blues:

http://www.petitiononline.com/RappinG/petition.html

SIGN THIS and make all your friends do the same!

Please Please Please

07-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Jimi Hendrix, in my opinion, was one of the first guys to really play the blues LOUD.
Explain this^

HumanHiFi
07-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Meh, I've started dabbing with some blues, I'm not really all knowledged on the genre though. So far I've been more of a jazz man - Charles Mingus and all that. Anyone want to recommend some albums?

DemBonez
07-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Can somebody please explain the difference between delta and Chicago blues to me? Thanks in advance.

The styles are very similar, since the post-war blues artists adapted the Delta blues to make it more versatille to form the Chicago blues. Chicago is usually incorporates more than a string band and/or a harmonica, but adds drums and bass to the mix as well. In modern times, it has embraced rock beats while Delta blues sticks to it's traditional blues feel.

You better explain yourself, or else you are insulting all the great blues-rock musicians than pre-dated Hendrix. Mayall, Buttersfield, Kroner, Canned Heat, Rolling Stones, etc all predate him. Of course, T-Bone could tear the house down whenever he wanted, that guy was the blues guitarist.

magicbus
07-14-2005, 05:35 PM
You better explain yourself, or else you are insult all the great blues-rock musicians than pre-dated Hendrix. Mayall, Buttersfield, Kroner, Canned Heat, Rolling Stones, etc all predate him. Of course, T-Bone could tear the house down whenever he wanted, that guy was the blues guitarist.

Let's not forget my main man, Buddy Guy, who taught Hendrix a lot of what he did (stage antics also).

robo2448
07-14-2005, 08:23 PM
The styles are very similar, since the post-war blues artists adapted the Delta blues to make it more versatille to form the Chicago blues. Chicago is usually incorporates more than a string band and/or a harmonica, but adds drums and bass to the mix as well. In modern times, it has embraced rock beats while Delta blues sticks to it's traditional blues feel.

Thanks for that explanation. I think I probably like Chicago a little more then. But I haven't heard enough of either.

jsanger
07-15-2005, 12:26 PM
What about Stevie Ray Vaughn?

Stonefree
07-15-2005, 02:23 PM
What about him?

Personally I find him over rated.

magicbus
07-15-2005, 03:14 PM

He's a great guitarist, but he can't write songs for crap.

Jam2Me
07-15-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't like SRV at all, I knew his name would come up in this thread, as Stonefree said he is overrated.

DemBonez
07-15-2005, 04:14 PM

The pace and coolness of Kenny Burrell, the licks of the Kings, and the flare of Lonnie Mack: the perfect recipie for a blues guitarist. The range he had was phenominal, his phrasing on his slow blues is some of the best I've ever heard. He could start a motif, and just expand endlessly from there. And his other stuff 'aint half bad either, filled with fire and emotion. No blues guitarist has come close to him since Roy Buchanan died.

Stonefree
07-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Billy Cox was in his band though so I'll give him some credit there.

DemBonez
07-15-2005, 04:31 PM

What? For the most part Stevie played with Layton and Shannon, sometimes adding horns and organ to the mix. I think you are getting him mixed up with Hendrix, who played with Billy Cox.

Stonefree
07-15-2005, 05:00 PM
No I am sure that Billy Cox has played with Stevie too.

magicbus
07-15-2005, 05:09 PM
No I am sure that Billy Cox has played with Stevie too.

Yea he played with Hendrix and SRV.

sargent_posse55
07-15-2005, 06:32 PM
is their any good acoustic blues out there? i dont know much about blues

Broken Arrow
07-15-2005, 06:37 PM
is their any good acoustic blues out there? i dont know much about bluesRobert Johnson, Elmore James and Blind Willie McTell.

robo2448
07-15-2005, 07:25 PM
is their any good acoustic blues out there? i dont know much about blues

Buddy Guy and Junior Wells- Alone and Acoustic.

ok lateralus
07-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan was the best guitarist since Hendrix, and yes that includes Van Halen and Page. (not counting other blues legends like B.B. or Buddy Guy though because they were around before Hendrix and SRV)

ok lateralus
07-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Anyone else like Elmore James? Great bluesman, a lot of classic songs- sky is crying, dust my broom, pickin' the blues, coming home, look up on yonder wall, etc.

Broken Arrow
07-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Dust My Broom is one of the most famous blues songs in my opinion.

StevieC
07-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Blues rocks. Simply rocks.

But I just like to play it. I like to listen to the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Beatles, etc. Sweet Home Chicago was one of my favorite blues songs. And Chicago blues is my favorite.

CockeyedMaverik
07-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Has any1 heard of Chris Thomas King? He played in O Brother Where Art Though?. He was the black guy they picked up that sold his soul to the devil in return for the ability to play the guitar well. My favorite blues song is Hard Time Killing Floor Blues. It's from that movie. Unfortunately, I can't any more of Chris Thomas King's stuff.

Broken Arrow
07-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Blues rocks. Simply rocks.

But I just like to play it. I like to listen to the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Beatles, etc. Sweet Home Chicago was one of my favorite blues songs. And Chicago blues is my favorite.I would not consider Pink Floyd blues rock, except for a couple songs.(Seamus, More Blues etc.) But Gilmour was basically a blues guitarist with some effects, calling Floyd blues rock is pretty wrong in my opinion.

wanton
07-16-2005, 06:37 PM
I would not consider Pink Floyd blues rock, except for a couple songs.(Seamus, More Blues etc.) But Gilmour was basically a blues guitarist with some effects, calling Floyd blues rock is pretty wrong in my opinion.

I think he was just naming bands that he normally listens to as opposed to the blues.

I could be wrong though.

Broken Arrow
07-16-2005, 06:43 PM
I think he was just naming bands that he normally listens to as opposed to the blues.

I could be wrong though.
Upon second reading it looks like I'm wrong.

IAJP
07-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I love blues.

Mississipi Fred Macdowell is my personal favourite Blues Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter.

Interstate
07-17-2005, 05:15 AM
I love the blues. I'm not that educated on the genre although I have a rough knowledge of how it started and how it progressed from acoustic to electric blues etc.
I need more blues albums - especially ones by Mississippi John Hurt and Blind Lemon Jefferson. I've been trying to get hold of a Blind Lemon album for months now. :upset:

Anyone else like Elmore James? Great bluesman, a lot of classic songs- sky is crying, dust my broom, pickin' the blues, coming home, look up on yonder wall, etc.

He is VERY underrated along with Lightnin' Hopkins.

Slight Return
07-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Hendrix - Stockholm - '69 - Red House. Period.
Really though, Hendrix is what got me into blues, and it's fitting as he was EXTREMELY influenced by early blues players such as Robert Johnson. I really want to get into blues...I love listening to it, so why shouldn't I play it?

jimihendrixfan14
07-18-2005, 12:02 AM
I just listened to "Jimi Hendrix: Blues" yesterday. He does some pretty interesting takes on the songs.

i love that album...it has alot of unrealesed material its GREAT

jimihendrixfan14
07-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Let's not forget my main man, Buddy Guy, who taught Hendrix a lot of what he did (stage antics also).

haha really??!!! like what??

and i always thought that chicago blues was more jazzy??

magicbus
07-18-2005, 12:05 AM
haha really??!!! like what??

Playing his guitar with his teeth and behind the back, stuff like that.

jimihendrixfan14
07-18-2005, 12:24 AM

cox is BAD luck .... both Jimi Hendrx and Stevie Ray Died while he has been in their bands .... both were accidental i guess cause i mean who pukes and chokes and dies how unlikely is that ..... and how often does a great guitarist die from an airplane crash........and what r the odds that both of these guitarists were great and had the same drummer slim to none so i say COX is a bad omen.....

anyway hendrix got me into classic rock.... i used to listen to all the new stuff a year ago stupid bands lol 3 days grace .... *shudder* matthew good band...blink!!!! jet.....im glad i finished that era.....

so Hendrix was the one who got me into classic rock period and then he got me into blues after hearing "red house" that is the most amazing hendrix blues song!!! i still haven't learnt it on my guitar!!! i should soon..

i now like many blues artists and im starting to get into the deeper blues like the artist that inspired clapton and hendrix ... robert johnson... i think hes delta blues???

jimihendrixfan14
07-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Playing his guitar with his teeth and behind the back, stuff like that.

i cant believe i haven't got any buddy guy everyone talks about him .... i should start listening to him and noooo way .... i thought that was a HENDRIX signature move that he introduced??

magicbus
07-18-2005, 12:30 AM
i cant believe i haven't got any buddy guy everyone talks about him .... i should start listening to him and noooo way .... i thought that was a HENDRIX signature move that he introduced??

It was more than that too, like the overall stage presence, Hendrix learned a lot from him.

Here's a good article about him: http://www.guitarworld.com/allaccess/interviews/buddyguy.html

jimihendrixfan14
07-18-2005, 12:36 AM
It was more than that too, like the overall stage presence, Hendrix learned a lot from him.

Here's a good article about him: http://www.guitarworld.com/allaccess/interviews/buddyguy.html

what are some good songs to get into buddy guy with??

umbilical_mind
07-18-2005, 05:43 PM
nothin like a bit o' stevie ray vaughan or rory gallagher. luvvin BB King at the murment too, I'm pretty new to blues as you can probly tell but do like to delve into it from time to time. Great fun to play though, I prefer playing blues on the electric than listening to it.

jimihendrixfan14
07-18-2005, 10:48 PM
i would really like to post a blues thread in r & m i dont knwo how many people would reply though its mainly metal fans i think...

Broken Arrow
07-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Its been done before, it doesn't work out.

magicbus
07-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Yea I think it would fail, that's why I tried it in here. Any Luther Allison fans? He is an amazing blues guitarist.

PinkFreud
07-19-2005, 10:31 PM
http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1H22KQ2XHLMO53MQKRYTBAC5XR

john mayer and buddy guy at the jammy's. only 3 tracks.

jimihendrixfan14
07-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Yea I think it would fail, that's why I tried it in here. Any Luther Allison fans? He is an amazing blues guitarist.

lol never heard of him.....i should probably get to know my blues a little more...... its my favorite genre but i knwo little about it

....and yah not enough people come in here and give input i had to wait a day to get my reply....maybe there isn't jst enough bluesfans :( .... thats why i like ultimite guitar better it has a forum dedicated to blues and jazz.......... i don tget why they don tput blues and jazz together anyways..... or you could put rock and blues together and put metal in a whole new categorie cause personally i dislike metal and i hate having all these metal threads in rock and metal....theres tooo many metal fans :(

Broken Arrow
07-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Bad Love?

IAJP
07-20-2005, 01:42 PM
nothin like a bit o' stevie ray vaughan or rory gallagher. luvvin BB King at the murment too, I'm pretty new to blues as you can probly tell but do like to delve into it from time to time. Great fun to play though, I prefer playing blues on the electric than listening to it.
Rory Gallagher is alright, he is so generic though.
Not to mention he tears up the blues book and rips off random artists.

DemBonez
07-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Rory Gallagher is alright, he is so generic though.
Not to mention he tears up the blues book and rips off random artists.

Rips off?

Gallagher was purely a live musician, his studio work is crap (much like Buddy Guy is). He was so incredible live though; extended improvisations are always the best. I have yet to hear a blues musician with better live shows.

PinkFreud
07-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Rips off?

Gallagher was purely a live musician, his studio work is crap (much like Buddy Guy is). He was so incredible live though; extended improvisations are always the best. I have yet to hear a blues musician with better live shows.
buddy guy could rival his live shows. especially now. hes still a monster showman.

ROT
07-20-2005, 09:46 PM
missisisisppsipi john hurt is cool
:(
haha

deathscreamingsheep
07-21-2005, 04:15 AM
I am personally a massive fan of good old stripped down 12 bar blues songs. To me often, having only a couple of instruments- acoustic, harmonica and a deep down-to-earth toned singer really is great blues.

Actually one of my favourite recently released 12 bar songs is Whorehouse Blues, an acoustic song that is stuck unexpectedly on the end of Motorhead's Inferno Album. Lemmy's harmonica and voice is actually great for that sort of old bluesy tone.

IAJP
07-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Rips off?

There are plenty of better live Bluesmen than Gallagher, that's my opinion though.

StevieC
07-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Chicago and New Orleans blues is the best.

magicbus
07-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Bad Love?

That's a sweet song he does, but I like Cherry Red Wine the best. I can upload a few of his songs if anybody is interested.

DemBonez
07-21-2005, 02:56 PM
buddy guy could rival his live shows. especially now. hes still a monster showman.

Buddy puts out too many crappy shows by simply clowning around more than caring about the music. Every night you know you are going to get Buddy the showman, but it is a question whether Buddy the guitarist will show up. Lately, a live Buddy show is the only reason to actually pay attention to him. Maybe he has gotten better in recent times, this year was probably the best I've seen him.

And anyways, I've never seen a Buddy Guy show rival Gallagher's performances. When Gallagher was up there, all bets were off what he was going to play. The only things you knew, it was going to be long and it was going to be good. I'm starting to doubt anyone here has heard him play live.

Slight Return
07-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Got Robert Johnson?

PinkFreud
07-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Buddy puts out too many crappy shows by simply clowning around more than caring about the music. Every night you know you are going to get Buddy the showman, but it is a question whether Buddy the guitarist will show up. Lately, a live Buddy show is the only reason to actually pay attention to him. Maybe he has gotten better in recent times, this year was probably the best I've seen him.

And anyways, I've never seen a Buddy Guy show rival Gallagher's performances. When Gallagher was up there, all bets were off what he was going to play. The only things you knew, it was going to be long and it was going to be good. I'm starting to doubt anyone here has heard him play live.
i have. in fact, the only cd i own by him are live. i still think guy is a more aggressive, more adventurous player. besides, showmanship is part of the live spectacle. otherwise, why not just download bootlegs or buy live albums instead of actually going to concerts?

IAJP
07-22-2005, 09:05 AM
I just got the Complete Robert Johnson Recordings.

29 Songs, 1 Hour, 16 Minutes and 23 Seconds.
What an amazing acomplishment for someone so young to have done. And nearly every song off the album is brilliant, I love it already.
:).

07-22-2005, 03:55 PM
^My favorite Blues singer

To bad he couldn't have lived longer.

ledzeprock
07-24-2005, 07:36 AM
personally i think hendrix whoops srv's a**.
with hendrix yet get great voice, great guitar and great songs.
with srv you get great guitar, great voice but the songs arent as good as hendrix.
although i do prefer srv's version of voodoo child. probly because its a better recording.

Slight Return
07-24-2005, 12:46 PM
personally i think hendrix whoops srv's a**.
with hendrix yet get great voice, great guitar and great songs.
with srv you get great guitar, great voice but the songs arent as good as hendrix.
although i do prefer srv's version of voodoo child. probly because its a better recording.
You must not have heard the Woodstock version of VCSR ;)
Trust me, I listened to it a lot everyday, it's twelve or thirteen minutes, I memorized almost everything note for note, vibrato for vibrato. Once you play it through you'll really understand just how brilliant it is...that's what I'm getting at.
Woodstock Voodoo Child is the same as Stockholm '69 Red House as far as brilliance goes IMO.

Slight Return
07-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Don't let this thread die now!

Broken Arrow
07-26-2005, 07:39 PM

What an amazing acomplishment for someone so young to have done. And nearly every song off the album is brilliant, I'm absolutely hot on it already.
I have that on my computer.

magicbus
07-26-2005, 08:14 PM
I have that on my computer.

So do I. I really like how the production sounds.

PinkFreud
07-26-2005, 10:55 PM
im more of an electric blues type. i know its wrong, but i cant seem to get into johnson and the other acoustic pioneers.

DemBonez
07-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Out of the three pre-war Johnsons (Tommy, Robert, Lonnie), I find the least mythical, Lonnie, to be the best. There was a reason Robert idolized him (to the point he'd introduce himself as his brother), because he was **** good. Kind of a shame that he gets so over looked, yet paved a way for both Blues and Jazz guitar to follow.

im more of an electric blues type. i know its wrong, but i cant seem to get into johnson and the other acoustic pioneers.

Why is that wrong?

PinkFreud
07-27-2005, 05:41 PM
because its like, i dont know. ignoring the roots of what i like. but i guess i cant help it. its all preference.

Woodstock
07-27-2005, 06:20 PM
I recently learned how to 12-bar blues on my guitar. I'm happy.

Broken Arrow
07-27-2005, 08:32 PM
I recently learned how to 12-bar blues on my guitar. I'm happy.
Um.

Uh.

Sweet?

puppetshots
07-27-2005, 10:50 PM

wow

Woodstock
07-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Um.

Uh.

Sweet?
It was a disguised bump.

Ned
07-29-2005, 12:10 AM
I agree that Stevie Ray Vaughan was, and continues to be, vastly over-rated. And way too many people are currently unfairly down on Clapton. His "Cradle to the Grave" was absolutely brilliant, and his Robert Johnson record is very good in a completely different way.

Very few guitarists can play with as much personality as B. B. King does even in his old age.

Anybody bump into the bit about Robert Johnson in Dylan's "Chronicles"? I was surprised, but it makes sense. The influence of Johnson on Dylan is actually very obviously apparent.

PinkFreud
07-29-2005, 01:05 AM
i believe you mean clapton's album, "from the cradle." cradle 2 the grave was a terrible movie with dmx and jet li.

Ned
07-29-2005, 01:13 AM
i believe you mean clapton's album, "from the cradle." cradle 2 the grave was a terrible movie with dmx and jet li.

I must mean "From the Cradle". There IS a bit of doggerel in the booklet that also mentions "the grave", though, your honor.

Broken Arrow
07-29-2005, 08:17 AM
I was thinning the same thing. My parents have that, it's fairly good.

Woodstock: :lol:

Interstate
07-29-2005, 08:30 AM

What an amazing acomplishment for someone so young to have done. And nearly every song off the album is brilliant, I love it already.

I agree, it's an amazing accomplisment. That's one of my favourite blues records.

DemBonez
07-29-2005, 08:41 AM
I agree that Stevie Ray Vaughan was, and continues to be, vastly over-rated. And way too many people are currently unfairly down on Clapton. His "Cradle to the Grave" was absolutely brilliant, and his Robert Johnson record is very good in a completely different way.

Clapton's solo career has just been boring. I just don't find him all that interesting as a rock guitarist, and in recent times his blues playing has been a little flat. From The Cradle is definately great, but since then the best thing he has done is Riding with the King. I just compare him to his work with Mayall, Cream, and the Yardbirds and feel he has changed for the worse.

Freddie King deserves more respect. He was doing all the things Beck, Clapton, Allison, Lonnie, and Mick Taylor were doing years before. But I guess that's what happens to a black guitarist named "King" while two guys named B.B. and Albert were in peak form.

PinkFreud
07-29-2005, 10:33 AM
psh. i cant believe you didnt mention derek & the dominos. that was definitely his best blues playing. live at the fillmore is probably the best ive ever heard from him.

robo2448
07-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Wierd thing I've noticed about Clapton's solo career. First of all, I'd like to fight the popular opinion that it was all crap. Sure, I Shot the Sheriff is complete crap, but the whole Slowhand album is brilliant IMO. Also, he really concentrating on going back to his roots in his solo career. You need to kind of appreciate his diversity to enjoy his solo career. From the Cradle, Riding With the King, and Me and Mr. Johnson are all good blues albums. There was definitely some crap in the 80's especially, but there is some good stuff. Also, I think his live show and guitar playing have actually gotten better. If you see him live now, you'll see what I mean, he kind of explores into many other genres of music which is cool. Right now, he's at a state where his guitar playing is refined but he can still improvise. Of course nothing in his solo career compares with Cream, Blind Faith, or Derek and the Dominoes.

/just realized this post makes no sense, but will post it anyway.

superjoe
07-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Here goes nothing...

I've heard people talking about wanting an entire blues forum added, but I don't think we'd have enough people interested. So I decided to make a blues thread. If you love blues, blues rock, or anything else pertaining to blues, we can talk about it here.

Enjoy :thumb:

To get it started, last night I had the chance to see Buddy Guy perform. Not only is he one of my favorite blues musicians, but he's also a large influence on my guitar playing. It was a great show, and he can still jam like nobody's business. Any other Buddy Guy fans?
JEALOUS

superjoe
07-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Howlin Wolf is great too...I might upload a few songs later tonight. The forums really need a blues forum.

robo2448
07-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Howlin Wolf is great too...I might upload a few songs later tonight. The forums really need a blues forum.

Howlin' Wolf is great. I need one of their albums.

superjoe
07-29-2005, 09:42 PM
http://s58.yousendit.com/d.php?id=1CVSIDHB2N0G01Q4UJH8UKNLWC

sitting on top of the world - howlin wolf

Ned
07-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Clapton's solo career has just been boring. I just don't find him all that interesting as a rock guitarist, and in recent times his blues playing has been a little flat. From The Cradle is definately great, but since then the best thing he has done is Riding with the King. I just compare him to his work with Mayall, Cream, and the Yardbirds and feel he has changed for the worse.

Actually, since this is the blues thread, after all, I was referring to Clapton the blues guitarist (and blues singer), not Clapton the pop singer. If we're going to throw all the Clapton's together, however, I'd say that he's had his ups and downs as an artist, but that overall he's continued to expand outwardly and inwardly, getting more mature, more technically accomplished, deeper, and more soulful. (Unlike, say, Dylan, and Joni Mitchell, and Robert Johnson, to my knowledge Clapton has never released a solo album. He's recorded and performed as a sideman, as a group member, and as a leader.)

My only significant beef about Clapton is with his penchant (or his producer's penchant) for using drum machines on his pop records. That needs to stop immediately.

I think "I Shot the Sheriff" has been unfairly maligned for decades simply because Clapton declined to play a guitar solo on it. The song actually did music a great service by introducing Bob Marley and reggae to a much wider audience.

Freddie King deserves more respect. He was doing all the things Beck, Clapton, Allison, Lonnie, and Mick Taylor were doing years before. But I guess that's what happens to a black guitarist named "King" while two guys named B.B. and Albert were in peak form.

Yeah, that's one King too many. I actually once saw Albert King, B. B. King, and Bobby Blue Bland at the same concert. Freddie didn't show.

Ned
07-29-2005, 11:39 PM
psh. i cant believe you didnt mention derek & the dominos. that was definitely his best blues playing. live at the fillmore is probably the best ive ever heard from him.

"Layla and Other Love Songs", and I think I have the title right this time, does have some great blues playing on it ("Have You Ever Loved a Woman", for example), but overall it's a pop album, not a blues album, a very poppy, catchy pop album--also a very good pop album (and a soulful one).

PinkFreud
07-29-2005, 11:47 PM
"Layla and Other Love Songs", and I think I have the title right this time, does have some great blues playing on it ("Have You Ever Loved a Woman", for example), but overall it's a pop album, not a blues album, a very poppy, catchy pop album--also a very good pop album (and a soulful one).
you really need to listen to their live at the fillmore album then. the bluesiest, clapton playing with the most fire ive ever heard him with.

and drum machines? im fairly sure steve gadd has been playinig on his albums for quite a while.

Ned
07-29-2005, 11:52 PM
you really need to listen to their live at the fillmore album then. the bluesiest, clapton playing with the most fire ive ever heard him with.

and drum machines? im fairly sure steve gadd has been playinig on his albums for quite a while.

Okay, I will check out the Fillmore album then, thanks. Steve Gadd has been playing with Clapton a lot, and so, I'm very sorry to report, have drum machines (none on the Robert Johnson record, of course).

DemBonez
07-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Actually, since this is the blues thread, after all, I was referring to Clapton the blues guitarist (and blues singer), not Clapton the pop singer. If we're going to throw all the Clapton's together, however, I'd say that he's had his ups and downs as an artist, but that overall he's continued to expand outwardly and inwardly, getting more mature, more technically accomplished, deeper, and more soulful. (Unlike, say, Dylan, and Joni Mitchell, and Robert Johnson, to my knowledge Clapton has never released a solo album. He's recorded and performed as a sideman, as a group member, and as a leader.)

If you are refering to just the last ten years (From The Cradle on), he's been mediocre at best. From The Cradle was good, but everything after that can be passed over. Me and Mr. Johnson seems to be his most thought out since then, but still had its problems. For example, "Hell Hound On My Trail" completely loses the original feeling of the song. And while it does that, he doesn't change it enough to justify it (like he does with "They're Red Hot"). He should also be ashamed with how it was produced.

I think "I Shot the Sheriff" has been unfairly maligned for decades simply because Clapton declined to play a guitar solo on it. The song actually did music a great service by introducing Bob Marley and reggae to a much wider audience.

He did the same thing with Robert Johnson. Before Clapton, Johnson was relatively unheard of. I figure thats why Lonnie is so overlooked.

Ned
07-31-2005, 12:30 AM
If you are refering to just the last ten years (From The Cradle on), he's been mediocre at best. From The Cradle was good, but everything after that can be passed over. Me and Mr. Johnson seems to be his most thought out since then, but still had its problems. For example, "Hell Hound On My Trail" completely loses the original feeling of the song. And while it does that, he doesn't change it enough to justify it (like he does with "They're Red Hot"). He should also be ashamed with how it was produced.

Obviously, you're one of those I complained about being currently down on Clapton.

I am referring to Clapton's entire career. The last decade, like all the others, has had its ups and downs. I think "From the Cradle", "One More Car, One More Rider", and "Me and Mr. Johnson" are all great. The B. B. King collaboration (B. B. 's best selling record ever) was a little disappointing. Clapton's singing in particular has improved immensely.

I don't worship Cream, by the way. Each Cream record had some good stuff, but each Cream record was also inconsistent and overall very flawed. I don't worship Stevie Winwood either. He could sing soulfully, but, boy, did he go out of tune on those high notes (he just avoided them, I think, in his eighties pop career), and he was certainly never much on piano or organ. Neither do I worship Delaney and Bonnie, John Mayall, or the Yardbirds.

Ned
07-31-2005, 04:16 AM
I'm just back from amazon.com. PinkFreud: Just to be sure before I buy: Are you saying that "Derek and the Dominoes Live at the Fillmore" is better than "Derek and the Dominoes In Concert"?

Ned
07-31-2005, 04:32 AM
One more Clapton question before I call it a day: Clapton once recorded an instrumental duet with King Curtis called "Teasin'". Where can I get a copy of this tune?

DemBonez
07-31-2005, 09:21 AM
One more Clapton question before I call it a day: Clapton once recorded an instrumental duet with King Curtis called "Teasin'". Where can I get a copy of this tune?

I believe it's only on LP right now (either the Teasin' single or the History of Eric Clapton two LP compilation). Here is an online store, but I'm not sure how trustworthy it is (http://www.musicaobscura.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/departments/page_number/6/startprod/61/endprod/72/Department_id/50/detail_id/3305.htm). Excellent track.

PinkFreud
07-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm just back from amazon.com. PinkFreud: Just to be sure before I buy: Are you saying that "Derek and the Dominoes Live at the Fillmore" is better than "Derek and the Dominoes In Concert"?
live at the fillmore is "in concert," but with added material. its like a more recent version. i would suggest that one by far.

Ned
08-03-2005, 06:54 PM
live at the fillmore is "in concert," but with added material. its like a more recent version. i would suggest that one by far.

Thanks, PinkFreud, and thanks for the recommendation. No Fillmore at the local record stores. I'll order it over the Internet soon.

Ned
08-03-2005, 06:55 PM
I believe it's only on LP right now (either the Teasin' single or the History of Eric Clapton two LP compilation). Here is an online store, but I'm not sure how trustworthy it is (http://www.musicaobscura.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/departments/page_number/6/startprod/61/endprod/72/Department_id/50/detail_id/3305.htm). Excellent track.

I may have to resort to drastic measures. Thanks for checking, DemBonez.

The Mercenary highvoltage
08-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Ac/Dc has some blues rock songs.. i think those are the only blues I like. I can play blues on my guitar but don't really like it. I learned to help me playing on guitar...

But some blues songs are nice.

PinkFreud
08-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Ac/Dc has some blues rock songs.. i think those are the only blues I like. I can play blues on my guitar but don't really like it. I learned to help me playing on guitar...

But some blues songs are nice.
.....ac/dc is NOT blues rock. never.

cortez the killer
08-04-2005, 09:22 PM
i like bb king, and i might get to see him live in a few weeks here. does he stil play as good as he used to?

ok lateralus
08-04-2005, 09:42 PM
i like bb king, and i might get to see him live in a few weeks here. does he stil play as good as he used to?
he plays better than ever

Walrus Gumboot
08-04-2005, 09:44 PM

Your username is the kind of username that I wish I thought of first :)

I love the blues, and someday I hope to be an acomplished blues harmonica player

/dreams

ggd02ms
08-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Where do you lot stand on slide guitarists?

I've heard a few but never been that bothered, but then last night there was a bloke in the pub playing slide really well.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

cortez the killer
08-05-2005, 11:03 AM

I love the blues, and someday I hope to be an acomplished blues harmonica player

/dreams
ha thanks, i like the sound of harmonica in blues music, but i am having trouble learning to play like that, but maybe one day. for now i stick to blues guitar :)

cortez the killer
08-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Where do you lot stand on slide guitarists?

I've heard a few but never been that bothered, but then last night there was a bloke in the pub playing slide really well.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
slide guitarists are great if they can play good. its hard to find true slide guitarists and im only familiar with a few songs that are strictly slide.

superjoe
08-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Has anyone heard The White Stripes blues stuff? I really like it, especially his cover of Son Houses Death Letter.

ggd02ms
08-06-2005, 12:55 AM
slide guitarists are great if they can play good. its hard to find true slide guitarists and im only familiar with a few songs that are strictly slide.

Thats the thing, its so easy to sound very bad with a slide. Its a wicked sound in acoustic blues (in the right hands).

think i might just pick one up and give it a go, whats the worst that could happen!

Broken Arrow
08-06-2005, 08:13 AM

/dreams
Cortez is not a girls name. :p

cortez the killer
08-06-2005, 09:06 AM
:lol: Cortez is not a girls name. :p

cortez the killer
08-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Thats <a href='http://67.15.154.58/cmapp/zx-hclick.php?hid=2' target='_blank'>the</a> thing, its so easy to sound very bad with a slide. Its a wicked sound in acoustic blues (in <a href='http://67.15.154.58/cmapp/zx-hclick.php?hid=2' target='_blank'>the</a> right hands).

think i might just pick one up and give it a go, whats <a href='http://67.15.154.58/cmapp/zx-hclick.php?hid=2' target='_blank'>the</a> worst that could happen!
yea well the worst is youll sound like everyone else who plays, lol, but then theres a chance you could get real good. i say go for it :thumb:

RockerGav
08-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Hey I've not posted on this forum in a long while but I'm on a bit of a blues kick at the moment so I thought I'd post here and try and keep this alive.

I don't understand all the SRV hating in this thread. I think he's a fantastic guitarist, a pretty good singer and his own material is sometimes a little lacking but usually he puts enough covers (and does them very well usually) on an album to make it worth it. And when your debut album is John Lee Hooker's favourite all time blues record you can't be all bad can you. ;)

I got a cheap 5 disc blues set comprising one disc each from Robert Johnson, Lightnin' Hopkins, T Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters this morning, haven't had time to listen to it all yet but no doubt I will.

Ned
08-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Hey I've not posted on this forum in a long while but I'm on a bit of a blues kick at the moment so I thought I'd post here and try and keep this alive.

I don't understand all the SRV hating in this thread. I think he's a fantastic guitarist, a pretty good singer and his own material is sometimes a little lacking but usually he puts enough covers (and does them very well usually) on an album to make it worth it. And when your debut album is John Lee Hooker's favourite all time blues record you can't be all bad can you. ;)

I got a cheap 5 disc blues set comprising one disc each from Robert Johnson, Lightnin' Hopkins, T Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters this morning, haven't had time to listen to it all yet but no doubt I will.

We don't "hate" Stevie Ray Vaughn, we just think he's collected a disproportionate amount of attention and praise over the years. He could play with fire, but he didn't seem to be able to play with much depth or nuance, and his singing was perfunctory. I have his debut album (that is, the first record he recorded as a leader; I also have his debut on David Bowie's "Let's Dance"), and it's okay. It's a perfectly fine little insignificant record that I very rarely listen to. He'd have done better to remain a sideman.

robo2448
08-06-2005, 04:10 PM

I think SRV is a fantastic guitarist, but is lacking in songwriting and singing skills. I'm perfectly content with a greatest hits, I don't think I need to get any more of his stuff.

beansss
08-07-2005, 02:13 PM
I prefer delta blues. Wasn't Muddy Waters delta blues?

muddy was at first considered country

RockerGav
08-08-2005, 06:36 AM
We don't "hate" Stevie Ray Vaughn, we just think he's collected a disproportionate amount of attention and praise over the years. He could play with fire, but he didn't seem to be able to play with much depth or nuance, and his singing was perfunctory. I have his debut album (that is, the first record he recorded as a leader; I also have his debut on David Bowie's "Let's Dance"), and it's okay. It's a perfectly fine little insignificant record that I very rarely listen to. He'd have done better to remain a sideman.

You've got a point actually, imagine his guitar playing with the singing of John Lee Hooker or some other great blues singer.

He also doesn't seem to be able to hold himself back on slow blues a lot of the time as well. Having said that I still really like him.

One thing I'd like to echo from earlier in the thread is just how good is Lightnin' Hopkins, and why do so few people know it??

Broken Arrow
08-08-2005, 07:38 AM
The 2 songs I have by him are absolutley amazing.

Shotgun
Don't Think Cause Your Pretty

robo2448
08-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Anyone like Taj Mahal?

Natch'l Blues is a good album.

Broken Arrow
08-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I have his greatest hits, its so good.

magicbus
08-08-2005, 10:28 PM
This Willie Dixon album rules. Everyone check out "I Am The Blues".

superjoe
08-16-2005, 04:22 PM
lolz://s61.(change this).com/d.php?id=1MXSQG1TRVC0C1T4AD12BZA2SO

Buddy Guy's "Buddy's Blues"...a great cd, basically a "best of" of his recording at the chess studios.

magicbus
08-16-2005, 07:58 PM
I just got that from a used record store a week ago. It's great because that's my favorite Buddy era and I didn't have any cd's with that stuff on it.

Slight Return
08-17-2005, 01:10 PM
I love "Evil" and "Killing Floor" by Howling Wolf. Seriously, that guys voice is AMAZING. It's unlike anything I've ever heard before, except maybe for Robert Johnson doing a "milder" version. Anyone who's heard "They're Red Hot" knows what I'm talking about.

Ned
08-17-2005, 03:31 PM
By the way, Derek and the Dominoe's's "Live at the Fillmore" arrived Saturday. I've only listened to the whole thing once so far, but there seems to be a lot of good stuff on it. This version of "Nobody Knows When You're Down and Out" seems fairly pointless to me though.

Flaminghotchino
08-17-2005, 04:13 PM
So my friend was trying to tell me how Led Zeppelin is the greatest "blues" band ever.. To which I replied that they weren't really a blues band.. I personally consider them rock. I'm aware Jimmy was influenced by the blues but so were a lot of artists from that era and too call them all blues bands seems a little...stupid. So I tried to get him to listen to some Robert Johnson too which he complained about the sound quality... then some cream which he was a lil bit interested.

I was just wondering if anybody has any reccomendations for the guy. To show him what REAL blues is. Preferably some electric stuff. I'm sure he'd dig that more.

Gypsy Campervan
08-17-2005, 04:33 PM
So my friend was trying to tell me how Led Zeppelin is the greatest "blues" band ever.. To which I replied that they weren't really a blues band.. I personally consider them rock. I'm aware Jimmy was influenced by the blues but so were a lot of artists from that era and too call them all blues bands seems a little...stupid. So I tried to get him to listen to some Robert Johnson too which he complained about the sound quality... then some cream which he was a lil bit interested.

I was just wondering if anybody has any reccomendations for the guy. To show him what REAL blues is. Preferably some electric stuff. I'm sure he'd dig that more.

Corey Harris, Worried Life Blues. He's a good coptempery bluesman, and it's good sound quality. If you wanna paly him some electric, I'd go for B.B. King or SRV.

Flaminghotchino
08-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Corey Harris, Worried Life Blues. He's a good coptempery bluesman, and it's good sound quality. If you wanna paly him some electric, I'd go for B.B. King or SRV.

Thanks for the recs.

I actually let him borrow my SRV greatest hits for a while, and he said he listened to the "Little Wing" cover once and thats about it. haha.

Why does he want to expand his horizons but then give nothing a chance.. :rolleyes:

Gypsy Campervan
08-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Link: http://s8.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0VYHUUYKVJQZ80C6WERMZTJ9MR

Flaminghotchino
08-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Link: http://s8.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0VYHUUYKVJQZ80C6WERMZTJ9MR

Oh nice, thanks. Haha I really can't imagine that kid diggin this but I liked it so thank ya! That was good quality but it sounded like a blast from the past. I'm pretty sure though he's into more... "flashy", "electric" "fast" stuff, but what the hell I'll show it too him anyways!

Gypsy Campervan
08-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Oh nice, thanks. Haha I really can't imagine that kid diggin this but I liked it so thank ya! That was good quality but it sounded like a blast from the past. I'm pretty sure though he's into more... "flashy", "electric" "fast" stuff, but what the hell I'll show it too him anyways!

Try Kenny Neal, it's quite fast.

PinkFreud
08-17-2005, 05:05 PM
By the way, Derek and the Dominoe's's "Live at the Fillmore" arrived Saturday. I've only listened to the whole thing once so far, but there seems to be a lot of good stuff on it. This version of "Nobody Knows When You're Down and Out" seems fairly pointless to me though.
excellent. i agree that nobody knows you is pretty much exactly the same as studio and is thus, rendered pointless, but its still a nice song. haha. the best guitar s ongs, as far as im concerned, are have you ever loved a woman and why does love got to be so sad.

superjoe
08-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Robin Trower?

Gypsy Campervan
08-20-2005, 03:03 PM
http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0PWCYF10THFQ3IL9WH8OPXGLP

Five blues song. I just made it for a friend and thought, why not?

Grant
08-20-2005, 06:57 PM
What does everybody here think of Jeff Beck?

Personally, I love the guy. Experimental, articulate and tasteful.

PinkFreud
08-20-2005, 07:41 PM
hes great. only blues for a bit though. haha. i personally prefer his 70's fusion work.

macabre
08-22-2005, 11:33 PM
what are some good real beginner blues songs?

magicbus
08-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Like to play? or to listen to?

That_Dude
08-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Live At The Regal-B.B King
Best blues album dare i say?

Bluesman
08-23-2005, 11:00 AM
i asked many a times but they refuse to give us a blues forum. which is one of the reasons i stopped hanging out here on a regular basis.

Silvermedalmafia
08-23-2005, 11:48 AM
i asked many a times but they refuse to give us a blues forum. which is one of the reasons i stopped hanging out here on a regular basis.
Personally I don't think blues would be a good forum here, there aren't enough blues people. This one thread is good enough.

snoopreg
08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Howlin' Wolfs Howlin' Wolf/Moanin' in the Moonlight is one of my favourite albums.

On a side note, I just seen B.B King not too long ago in Vancouver. For a man of his age (80) he can really put on a great show.

Gypsy Campervan
08-24-2005, 01:13 PM
what are some good real beginner blues songs?

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0PWCYF10THFQ3IL9WH8OPXGLP

Bluesiestman
08-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Anyone heard of Bob Log III? I've really been getting into him and some of the other Fat Possum guys here recently. For those of you who havent heard of him, he is a one man band. Plays slide guitar with hands, bass drum with right foot, cymbol and drum machine with left foot. He always wears this fighter helmet with a phone on the front, and he sings thru the phone. Cool ****. Delta blues for the 21st century.

That_Dude
08-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Howlin' Wolfs Howlin' Wolf/Moanin' in the Moonlight is one of my favourite albums.

On a side note, I just seen B.B King not too long ago in Vancouver. For a man of his age (80) he can really put on a great show.
I missed a show. He came to my town,but i forgot to get tickets. Well i live next to chicago so i asume that if he does not die in the next few years i would be able to see him.

On Howlin' Wolf,all i have is a best of but i really like it. What are some other albums i should pick up.

Also,what was the story of Robert Johnson? I know it involes the devil.

Gypsy Campervan
08-25-2005, 01:35 PM
I missed a show. He came to my town,but i forgot to get tickets. Well i live next to chicago so i asume that if he does not die in the next few years i would be able to see him.

On Howlin' Wolf,all i have is a best of but i really like it. What are some other albums i should pick up.

Also,what was the story of Robert Johnson? I know it involes the devil.

He apparently sold his soul to the devil in return for his Guitar and singing skills.

Silvermedalmafia
08-25-2005, 05:18 PM
He apparently sold his soul to the devil in return for his Guitar and singing skills.
he speaks the truth.

Grant
08-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Could anyone upload something by Albert King? I've never really delved into blues music beyond Robert Johnson and the other obvious players.

Gypsy Campervan
09-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Bump.

robo2448
09-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I was wondering what happened to this thread. We should keep it alive. I've seen the movie in my avatar (Blues Brothers) 3 times in the last week. One of my favorite movies. It's got some cool blues, does anyone know if the Blues Brothers cds are any good?

And also, John Lee Hooker was cool in that movie, I should get some of his stuff.

Gypsy Campervan
09-05-2005, 01:41 PM
I was wondering what happened to this thread. We should keep it alive. I've seen the movie in my avatar (Blues Brothers) 3 times in the last week. One of my favorite movies. It's got some cool blues, does anyone know if the Blues Brothers cds are any good?

And also, John Lee Hooker was cool in that movie, I should get some of his stuff.

I will keep this sucka alive.

magicbus
09-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Whoa, cool bumping :thumb:

John Lee Hooker is sweet, I'm going to look into some albums of his and then I'll upload some. The same goes for Albert King, although I have one of his already.

JonG
09-05-2005, 03:04 PM
I saw John Lee Hooker Jr, and Tommy Castro last night. John Lee Hooker Jr has an huge ego :p

Was a good show, the guitarist is great for John Lee Hooker Jr. He is blues but he still plays pretty fast. :)

robo2448
09-05-2005, 03:32 PM

John Lee Hooker is sweet, I'm going to look into some albums of his and then I'll upload some. The same goes for Albert King, although I have one of his already.

Albert King isn't related to BB King is he?

That would be cool if he was.

JonG
09-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Nope, they just grew up together. BB called him his "half-brother"

Bluesiestman
09-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Anyone dig the mississippi hill blues? I love that stuff. Very hypnotic, powerful. People like R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbourgh, John Lee Hooker

classicrockman
09-05-2005, 07:56 PM

Have you heard John Lee Hooker's song "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer."

It's cool, but I like the George Thorogood version better. :D

clown_phobia
09-06-2005, 01:51 AM
I reckon hendrix - red house is such an amazingly great song.

Yeah, that's one King too many. I actually once saw Albert King, B. B. King, and Bobby Blue Bland at the same concert. Freddie didn't show.

I think Freddie King wrote 'hideaway' off the bluesbreakers album (mayall/clapton).

Gypsy Campervan
09-06-2005, 04:01 AM
Anyone dig the mississippi hill blues? I love that stuff. Very hypnotic, powerful. People like R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbourgh, John Lee Hooker

I prefer Delta blues.

magicbus
09-06-2005, 07:47 AM
I think Freddie King wrote 'hideaway' off the bluesbreakers album (mayall/clapton).

Yea he did.

Bluesman
09-06-2005, 02:25 PM
anyone listen to Otis Rush play Society Woman on the live in Europe CD. IMO the licks after the opening 2 chord progressions is some of the best i heard. powerful stuff. i tabbed it out by ear and it helped my playing immensly. I use it all the time in music stores when i checking outnew gear and people always compliment me.

now if i could ever find his tone id be set.

magicbus
09-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm a little bummed because I just found out Luther Allison has already died, and I won't be able to see him live :(

Is anybody else a fan of him?

Flaminghotchino
09-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Man, we really need a Blues forum here..

Other music??? Do people not realize the HUGE influence blues has had on guitar? What hurts the most is too see pop-punk and hardcore/emo forums and the complete lack of a blues forum..

Oh well..

Grutte Pier
09-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Agreed, a blues forum would be great. Is there already a online petition I can sign? :thumb:

Bartender
09-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Man, we really need a Blues forum here..

Other music??? Do people not realize the HUGE influence blues has had on guitar? What hurts the most is too see pop-punk and hardcore/emo forums and the complete lack of a blues forum..

Oh well..

It's nothing to do with how influential the genre is.

Bluesman
09-12-2005, 12:52 PM
ive been asking for a blues form for over a year but the mods dont care about it.
they tell me to post in here instead. keep pestering all the mods till we get what we want or until they ban us lol.

robo2448
09-12-2005, 02:49 PM
It's because most people don't care about blues. I wish we had a rock/blues forum, since R&M is overrun with metal threads.

Nopo
09-13-2005, 05:09 AM
Is any one here familiar with charly patton hes a great delta blues player, i cant seem to get any tabs of his stuff ive tryed ever i can think of..any one help!

Bluesman
09-13-2005, 07:01 AM
It's because most people don't care about blues. I wish we had a rock/blues forum, since R&M is overrun with metal threads.
i think your wrong. maybe current members dont care about blues or are into other genres but if we had a blues room it would attract more members.
this would contribute greatly to the site. I frequent other blues sites and they have forums that are cool. i just like this site beacue of its wide array of rooms and I want to improve it.

Gypsy Campervan
09-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Is any one here familiar with charly patton hes a great delta blues player, i cant seem to get any tabs of his stuff ive tryed ever i can think of..any one help!

I recommend buying this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0825602866/qid=1126637620/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-8886758-3375165?v=glance&s=books&n=507846).

robo2448
09-13-2005, 04:20 PM
I have concluded that Muddy Waters is awesome. Random, but I've been listening to them recently and they are really talented. Good guitar, great harmonica- great band. Anyone else think they're really good?

np- Muddy Waters- Honky Tonk

Bluesiestman
09-13-2005, 04:46 PM
quite, muddy and little walter, and im not sure who is on piano, and who played guitar with him

Nopo
09-14-2005, 02:16 AM
I recommend buying this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0825602866/qid=1126637620/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-8886758-3375165?v=glance&s=books&n=507846).

yeah! thanks looks like a great book

Broken Arrow
09-14-2005, 06:14 PM
quite, muddy and little walter, and im not sure who is on piano, and who played guitar with himWas t Hubert Sumlin becasue I know he used to play for Muddy.

DemBonez
09-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Lots of people have played for Muddy. The most prolific is defintely Buddy Guy, who has become the Muddy Waters in modern times. Other greats who have played with him are Johnny Winter (Hard Again), Michael Bloomfield (Fathers and Sons), and Bo Diddly (The Super Blues). I am guessing the pianist was Otis Spann, who was teh greatest blues pianist ever (I love Sunnyland Slim too). And I'll go out on a limb and say the guitarist was Jimmy Rogers.

PinkFreud
09-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Was t Hubert Sumlin becasue I know he used to play for Muddy.
he only played for him for like, one tour, and then went back to howlin' wolf.

good too. because wolf was better.

Ned
09-16-2005, 02:50 AM
Caught Robert Cray live Saturday week. Never much cared for his records, but he's better live. Very clean sound; clear, deliberate singing and playing--and his keyboardist is good (there's way too much emphasis on guitar in this thread, by the way).

Caught Wayne Baker Brooks (son of Lonnie) live the next day. Now here's a blues guitarist who really pours it on.

HoTPiNk
09-16-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm seeing B.B. King in concert October 26. :) should be awesome.

Gentleman Johnny
09-16-2005, 03:24 PM
did anyone hear about Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown's death?

bummer.

Grutte Pier
09-16-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm seeing B.B. King in concert October 26. :) should be awesome.

I heard he is doing his very last tour ever? is that true?

would be a shame, haven't seen him live yet.

egdohov
09-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Today is B.B. King's birthday...and mine.

Brewer14
09-16-2005, 06:36 PM
NP: SRV- Little Wing

Stevie owns.

rockinbass17
09-16-2005, 08:58 PM

He is 80, after all, and that's pretty old to do anything, let alone go on tour. it is a shame he's gotten so old. After him, not much.......

superjoe
09-16-2005, 09:21 PM
You've got a point actually, imagine his guitar playing with the singing of John Lee Hooker or some other great blues singer.

He also doesn't seem to be able to hold himself back on slow blues a lot of the time as well. Having said that I still really like him.

One thing I'd like to echo from earlier in the thread is just how good is Lightnin' Hopkins, and why do so few people know it??
Lightening hopkins is awesome. Hes sooo underrated, i found out about by seeing one of his records at a record store, went home and downloaded some, then bought the cd. I just got a howlin wolf cd too, really good. I love Moanin.

superjoe
09-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Was t Hubert Sumlin becasue I know he used to play for Muddy.
Hubert Sumlin was howlin wolf's guitarist. Check out his solo on Hidden Charms...good stuff.

scotch
09-16-2005, 10:53 PM
it is a shame he's gotten so old.

That's a strange thing to say.

Grant
09-17-2005, 07:04 AM
What's the consensus here on Buddy Guy? I for one, think he is an astounding guitar player.

DemBonez
09-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Buddy Guy needs to stop making albums and just become a live musician. I really can't say he's had a good album since Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play the Blues in 1972.

ATM
09-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Buddy Guy needs to stop making albums and just become a live musician. I really can't say he's had a good album since Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play the Blues in 1972.

I love that album!

It's the perfect thing to drive to.

magicbus
09-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Buddy GUy is an amazing guitarist/performer. He's a huge influence on my guitaring, and if you see he live, he's crazy. Did you hear "Blues Singer", DemBonez? That was a good acoustic album, and it came out like last year or something.

HoTPiNk
09-17-2005, 05:12 PM

I honestly have no idea, but I'm really excited for it either way. I'm going with my mom hehe. :cool:

OnePartHarmony
09-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Anyone ever heard of the Red Devils? Listened to their live album King King , and I must say, 'tis grand. I have this sweet teacher who gives me the CD and says, "Listen to it and tell me what you think." Me thinks it is great.

Delta_King
09-18-2005, 08:39 AM
For a great bluesician, you cant get better than Rory Gallagher

rockinbass17
09-18-2005, 11:13 AM
That's a strange thing to say.

Yeah, I suppose it was. I know people get old, there isn't any way around it. I'm just saying it's too bad he ain't gonna be around much longer.

Gypsy Campervan
09-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Corey Harris anyone?

Ulysses
09-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Anyone into blues guitarist Dave Hole?

Nopo
09-19-2005, 02:08 AM
For a great bluesician, you cant get better than Rory Gallagher

rite shame, i take it you were at the festival :thumb:

Grutte Pier
09-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Anyone ever heard of the Red Devils? Listened to their live album King King , and I must say, 'tis grand. I have this sweet teacher who gives me the CD and says, "Listen to it and tell me what you think." Me thinks it is great.

It never leaves my cd player for more than a week. I thought I was the only one in the world with this album. It's my favorite blues album EVER! Everything is how it should be, they really know how to deliver the goods on stage. My dad had the pleasure to see them live, I'm so jealous. Shame the singer died, such a great talent.

I reccomend everybody to get it. It really is a must have in every blues collection. Here's a great review I found.

http://www.guypetersreviews.com/reddevils.php

"With the possible exception of the Butterfield Blues Band's East-West, this is the best white boy blues album I have ever heard."

"The Red Devils were a blues band in the purest sense of the word. They were real, they were destined to be heard in juke joints and there was nothing fancy about 'em. No silly retro-shtick, no boring imitations. There are probably hundreds of bands that have the technical chops to play a blues tune or two, but they don't have "it," you know (and if you're not into this kind of music, you probably don't understand a ****ing word about what I'm writing here), aren't capable of delivering the goods on stage, in front of a bunch of blues fans."

"Disliking this album sounds a lot like blasphemy to me. If you're into the blues and like some bad-*** Chicago-styled partyin' once in awhile, this is required listening. If you're looking for a perfect introduction to (modern) blues, this is an ideal pick. The downside of it all is that you'll have a hard time finding something that measures up to it, but hey, life is short (unfortunately - remember Butler) and I always try to get the best as well, so I suggest you do the same. As the name suggests, King King deserves to be treated like royalty. Get it."

Bluesman
09-19-2005, 12:16 PM
What's the consensus here on Buddy Guy? I for one, think he is an astounding guitar player.
ive sceen BG play about 4 or 5 times in the last 12 years and its always the same show with the same songs. he acts like he is 100 years old on stage when in reality hes about 70. I hate when he uses a hankercheif as a pick and you cant hear a thing. This goes on for about 10 minutes whilest he tells stories of his influeneces when he started out.

The last time i saw him about 6 months ago he played for about 1:15 then walked off stage without a word. we were all sitting around waiting for a 2nd set then the lites came on the the MC told everyone to go home.

I think he is a powerful player and is/was very influential to all the great players of the 60's and 70s. And hes very influencial to me.

What he plays is great and he's pretty fast too. but he needs to change his act for live shows and maybe do some acoustic stuff as well. Most people dont know that BG is a supurb acoustic player. I dont think id go see him again any time soon unless i know for a fact that hes changed the act.

Grutte Pier
09-19-2005, 03:00 PM
The last time i saw him about 6 months ago he played for about 1:15 then walked off stage without a word. we were all sitting around waiting for a 2nd set then the lites came on the the MC told everyone to go home.

That's weird, didn't he have the strength to carry on?

Tom
09-19-2005, 03:08 PM
If anyone is interested, here are links to interviews with Duane Allman:

http://allmanbrothers.com/index.php?module=My_eGallery&do=showpic&pid=1789&orderby=dateD

http://allmanbrothers.com/index.php?module=My_eGallery&do=showpic&pid=1788&orderby=dateD

It really sends chills down your spine hearing the man.

Lupus
09-20-2005, 06:36 AM
I don't understand why punk has it's own forum, when punk isn't really a style of music, just content, and blues gets no lovin'.

Grutte Pier
09-20-2005, 07:23 AM
I don't understand why punk has it's own forum, when punk isn't really a style of music, just content, and blues gets no lovin'.

I agree, there should be a

Blues / Classic Rock section

because the metal and rock section is overflooded with metal threads.

Bluesman
09-20-2005, 10:10 AM
and we have nothing is common with the metal and punk players etc. we want to chat blues. I dont know jack about becker and YM and anyone else who plays arps and chromatics at 2000 BPM with 500 effects going at once and i dont want to know :). lets petition the site for a blues room. i think we have to go to the site room and start up a thread like this and keep posting till someone listens.

superjoe 2.0
09-20-2005, 09:39 PM
and we have nothing is common with the metal and punk players etc. we want to chat blues. I dont know jack about becker and YM and anyone else who plays arps and chromatics at 2000 BPM with 500 effects going at once and i dont want to know . lets petition the site for a blues room. i think we have to go to the site room and start up a thread like this and keep posting till someone listens.
I tried asking again in the site forum...still no luck.

superjoe 2.0
09-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Ok...heres something for discussion(i was thinking about making seperate thread/poll for this, btw): Best/Favorite Blues Lyrics? I think right now for me its a tie between Death Letter and The Crossroads...What do you think? (also, would this make a good thread?)

Neamhtrocaireach
09-21-2005, 08:07 AM
I am new here... and am shocked to find no Blues Forum..

Grutte Pier
09-21-2005, 10:42 AM
(also, would this make a good thread?)

Sure, make it

Bluesiestman
09-21-2005, 02:28 PM
i'd think 'squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg' is pretty **** good

superjoe 2.0
09-21-2005, 02:54 PM
I am new here... and am shocked to find no Blues Forum..
Me and alot of the other blues fans are trying to get one, but unfortunatly none of the mods give a crap about making the site better...actually now that i think about it, theres not a single mod that likes blues.

Anyways, I think ill make that thread...oh and one of the mods said that if 70% of the other music traffic was blues related, theyd consider making a forum.......so lets get this shi started.

robo2448
09-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Me and alot of the other blues fans are trying to get one, but unfortunatly none of the mods give a crap about making the site better...actually now that i think about it, theres not a single mod that likes blues.

Anyways, I think ill make that thread...oh and one of the mods said that if 70% of the other music traffic was blues related, theyd consider making a forum.......so lets get this shi started.

Lots of new blues threads. Good job :)

I'll make some blues thread soon when I can think of a good topic.

Edit- 10 pages :cool:

Now if maybe we could get this up to 100... we could get a blues forum. We need more people interested in blues.

superjoe 2.0
09-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Lots of new blues threads. Good job

I'll make some blues thread soon when I can think of a good topic.
please do

superjoe 2.0
09-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Everyone check out my Lyrics thread, and please post and make is worthwhile to keep up with on my part.

robo2448
09-21-2005, 03:31 PM
please do

You think anyone would post if I made a thread on the Bluesbrothers?

superjoe 2.0
09-21-2005, 03:33 PM
You think anyone would post if I made a thread on the Bluesbrothers?:lol: The movie? Im sure someone would, but doesnt really need a thread.

robo2448
09-21-2005, 03:38 PM
:lol: The movie? Im sure someone would, but doesnt really need a thread.

They had a couple of good cds too. I'm digging them right now, so that's what popped into my head when you said make a thread. I'm kind of new to blues, so I don't really have enough blues cds to make a thread about a blues band.

superjoe 2.0
09-21-2005, 03:39 PM
They had a couple of good cds too. I'm digging them right now, so that's what popped into my head when you said make a thread. I'm kind of new to blues, so I don't really have enough blues cds to make a thread about a blues band.
go make a suggestions thread, thatd prolly go over well.

temporary
09-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey its good to see some Blues threads. I didn't know many people listened to Blues on here.

Brewer14
09-21-2005, 04:06 PM
We definitly need a Blues/Classic Rock forum. The Rock/Metal forum is nothing but metal threads.

Tom
09-21-2005, 04:12 PM
We definitly need a Blues/Classic Rock forum. The Rock/Metal forum is nothing but metal threads.

I wonder why

If the blues forum comes it will be strictly blues though.

Collis
09-21-2005, 04:20 PM
OK just to clear something up .... early Jethro Tull stuff is blues right?

Illmatic
09-21-2005, 04:45 PM

So you're going to spam up Other Music just to bother the admins/mods into making a forum that will be sparsely populated?

Good work.

robo2448
09-21-2005, 06:16 PM
So you're going to spam up Other Music just to bother the admins/mods into making a forum that will be sparsely populated?

Good work.

As much as I'd like a blues forum, I have to agree with this post. I think we've got enough blues threads in other music for now, and if they do well, then maybe we consider asking for a rock/blues forum, or maybe add on blues to jazz/funk since that forums dead. If nobody but the 5-6 of us is interested though, we can just discuss blues in this thread. I don't think a forum is necessary now, and there'd have to be a lot more interest to make one necessary.

DemBonez
09-21-2005, 06:36 PM
I think the best living blues guitarist would be Robert Lockwood Jr.

scotch
09-21-2005, 06:44 PM
OK just to clear something up .... early Jethro Tull stuff is blues right?

There were a few blues tunes on their first record "This Was". There was also rock and some attempts at jazz ("Serenade to a Cuckoo" and the out-take "One for John G.").

scotch
09-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I suppose it was. I know people get old, there isn't any way around it. I'm just saying it's too bad he ain't gonna be around much longer.

Ouch. It's getting worse. I should have left it alone.

PinkFreud
09-21-2005, 06:53 PM
this thread can barely stay alive on its own, why does it need its own forum?

scotch
09-21-2005, 07:04 PM
this thread can barely stay alive on its own, why does it need its own forum?

Well, 243 postings is a bit much to have to weed through, and if you just jump in at the end you risk missing the...um...thread, so to speak.

robo2448
09-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, 243 postings is a bit much to have to weed through, and if you just jump in at the end you risk missing the...um...thread, so to speak.

As I said earlier, there's no need for a blues forum unless this thread starts exploding with posts. If somehow it magically becomes popular and starts averaging a lot more than 3 or so posts a day, then we could think about asking the mods for a blues forum. It doesn't really make any sense to start a forum if there would only be like 8 people posting in it, which this basically is.

superjoe 2.0
09-21-2005, 09:19 PM

Good work.
How is that spam? I was just saying it would move us alot closer to the goal of getting a blues forum if people made seperate threads instead of just condensing into one big thread.

Bluesman
09-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Hey SJ. Stop Fighting with these people. I give up with them all. there not giving us a blues room so goodbye to them all. Heres a decent blues forum. Join me there and pass the word to all us bluesheads.

http://www.bigroadblues.com/cgi/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID13&archive=

if the link dont work try.
wwwbigroadblues.com

scotch
09-22-2005, 01:55 PM
As I said earlier, there's no need for a blues forum unless this thread starts exploding with posts.

If you said it earlier, why ****ing say it again? If you're going to bother to reply to me, say something that at least acknowledges my argument.

sandman420
09-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Good thread, wow there are actually people that know what they are taliing about. I was thinking this whole thread would be everybody talking about how Jimi Hendrix and SRV invented the blues or something, or the only true blues players. I think most people forget about so many blues legends, although they do not forget their songs because of bands like Led Zeppelin who kept playing them. Its really good alot of people are still talking about the music from the original blues musicians.

There are some notable blues musicians.

Robert Johnson - This is probaly the most well known blues musicians, from the Delta Blues. As most people know Eric Clapton made a full album of Robert Johnson covers, which is very good. Something this is amazing about Robert Johnson is how good of a musician he is, when Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones first heard him he said "Who is that other guy playing with him." Listen to him and you'll know why. I think the song Me And The Devil blues is one of his best songs.

Buddy Guy - I know he was already talked about alot already in this thread. He is from the Chicago Blues scene and used to play with Chess records. He could be considerd one of the most entertaining. Also Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix told him to goto England during the 60's because the kind of music Buddy was playing in Chicago was the kind of music that everyone was trying to play in England. Buddy still plays in Chicago.

I know I was talking about two of the most well known blues musicians and they were already talked about in this thread. Now, I think these are the blues musicians that are the ones people should listen to get into period of the blues. This is a list of some good blues musicians to check out.

Some Blues musicians that are considered the first of modern blues.

Tampa Red
Sonny Boy Williamson
Robert Lockwood
Pinetop and Lindberg
Peetie Wheatstraw
Son House
Cow Cow Davenport

There are many others that could be considered the first,those are some.

Some from the later are.

Muddy Waters
Carey Bell
Junoir Wells
Willie Dixon
Howlin' Wolf

There are alot of others. I know alot of people want some recommendations on which period of blues to check out. Maybe I said alot that has already been said in this thread, doesnt matter. If i said something wrong say it. I know alot of those musicians were already talked about.

The most talk there was in this thread was about getting Blues forum, if we get a forum, we will have to have good blues discussion first so the mods know they have to get a forum for it.

Bluesman that is a good blues forum too.

magicbus
09-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Good thread, wow there are actually people that know what they are taliing about. I was thinking this whole thread would be everybody talking about how Jimi Hendrix and SRV invented the blues or something, or the only true blues players.

Ye of little faith, you forget who you're dealing with. :p

Brewer14
09-22-2005, 04:23 PM
I wonder why

If the blues forum comes it will be strictly blues though.

Well theres like an overbalanace of metal over rock..and for people like me who...dislike...metal it kind of sucks.

And if its just blues I'd be fine with that.

DemBonez
09-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Some Blues musicians that are considered the first of modern blues.

Tampa Red
Sonny Boy Williamson
Robert Lockwood
Pinetop and Lindberg
Peetie Wheatstraw
Son House
Cow Cow Davenport

Take out Robert Lockwood Jr. and put in Charley Patton. I consider Lockwood Jr. to be the greatest blues guitarist still alive, but the fact of the matter is he was Robert Johnson's protegé. He came after the Delta blues was established. Charley Patton is often considered the originator of the Delta blues. He was also one of the best Delta blues musicians to ever play.