PDA

View Full Version : D'Addario - Prosteel Bass Strings (Super Bright)

Naveed Afzal
07-03-2005, 08:52 PM
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/10/104384.jpg

D'Addario Super Bright - Prosteels

Back of the box discription:
ProSteels are made from a specialized stainless steel alloy that delivers harmonically rich, brilliant high-end and deep, focused bottom. These strings excel at delivering the ringing piano-like tone that many bass players crave. Each wrap is precisely wound onto a hex core using D'Addario's exclusive computer-controlled machines, which monitor and control wrap speed and tension with extreme precision. The result is a set of strings with precise intonation and unparalleled consistency gig after gig.

Review & Backstory:
I was for a long time an Elixir Nanono Web Light player i loved the tone, they were the first string recommended to me, and they were all i used, but 50 dollarsa box for a set was a bit steep. My tight pockets were the best thing to ever happen to my tone, i started using D'addario Nickle Wound strings, they gave me full sound that i was pleased with, but i wasnt completely satisfied.

One day i was given the wrong pack of strings after a visit to my local GC, and didnt realize it until my B string was a bitch to get thru the bridge not wanting to waste my money, i strung them up and took them for a spin, they were rough on my fingers they seemed to hold on to my fingers as i went thru the strings, and without much attempt, the strings came back against my frets and rang out as if i was slapping. The Box does not lie, theres a reason they are listed as superbright, its because they are indeed superbright, extremely rich in the high register and extremely growly at the low end, the box describes this as a 'piano tone' and i aggree the high and the low melt together and fit perfectly much like a piano, i have used strings where the highs and lows dont mix well but thats not the case with these strings.

I Pulled back my thumb and let into the beginning of Power by MM on my bass, and i was easily shocked at the sound that came out, i can only describe this as a Marcus Miller like tone, which incidently reminds me of Power.

I warn you tho, these strings are decievingly Thick, Im looking at the Box of D'addro Nickwound strings that i took off, .045-.130 and im looking at a set of prosteels that are currently on my bass, the Prosteels are a bit thicker while listed at the same size of the Nicklewound XLs, it took a bit to push the B string thru the bridge, so i warn you that is could be a draw back.

but i recommend them, a Great tone, and a Good textured feel on your hands if you indeed like that

Overall: 4/5 (I think i could give them a 5 out of 5, but the textured of the strings could be a turn off to some, they arent as smooth as normal roundwound strings, they feel like Warwick strings.)

Low_End_Communications
07-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Great review, exactly how I'd rate them. Thing is, I like my strings to last really long and feel smooth, so I'm stuck on Elixirs.

The B is hard to fit on most bridges because it is tapered. They should really fix that problem. Even on my top-loading Ibanez bridge it was a bear to tug through.

The steel texture is also very rough, I agree. They really tear up your fingers when sliding, but you get used to it. I currently have a set on my fretless 4, and the mwah I get combined with the polyurethane on the neck is superb.

I'd rate them as a 4.5 out of 5, simply because I can't get used to the texture and the fact that they die. What the world needs is coated steel strings. I don't care how much they cost, I need a set.

Naveed Afzal
07-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Yes, they are the best slapping strings ive ever heard, and i to used elixirs they just arent bright enough for me. Especially when i do My Low-High Fill Runs, I want those Highs to stand out a bit more, and the brightness of these strings do that for me.

Farlan
07-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Eh, I just got these strings a week ago and I really don't like them. I thought that the highs were terrible. I could only get a bright tone if I pulled hard on the string or slapped. Maybe I'm just used to DR HI Beams, but these strings just sounded worse than DRs that I've had on for over 5 months (unless I use high attack on the D'As, then it's a bit brighter).

slickric3462
07-31-2005, 01:09 PM
yea man i had one hell of a time trying to get the b string to fit through my bridge

Naveed Afzal
12-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Small Update Since i wrote this review i have since decided to go High-C over Low B.

I have to say I Am not satisfied with the Gauge of the High C string, it feels almsot too thin, and i catch it, and it throws me off more then i like. Its taken time, but i got used to it, i am currently Trying Out different brands and custom gauges of High C strings so i can see what it is i want.

I would still recommend these strings if you play with the Low B, but beware if you are a tenor bass, or 6 stringer.

Machines
03-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Just fitted some on my RBX775 - i'm very impressed by their brightness and growl. I agree with what Naveed Afzal says about them, but how they last remains to be seen.

sixner
11-11-2006, 06:46 AM
i strung these up recently, still pretty new. They were weird at first because i was also used to elixner nano's... but im not sure if i like these at not. they're great for slapping, but in my band setting, i do rock finger style stuff.... so such a high bright sound isint the best always. atleast in my case....
i never had an issue with the B though. i did like the way it sounded when doing something heavy. playing a D on the B string with alot of attack sounded real nice.

-Sixner

Naveed Afzal
11-14-2006, 04:41 AM
prosteels are clairity monters...

sixner if you feel they are to bright, check the DR MM sigs... i know what you are thinking... dude yer nuts the MMs gotta be brighter!

no way... i actually A-B'd them on 2 stingrays and then later at home with My Ray and My Jazz...

The DRs= Darker, and Easier on your fingers... the prosteels feel like rusty *** strings...

Im a DR fantatic, but i still do use Prosteels on my Modulus and My Fender jazz V

edgebass5
11-14-2006, 05:25 PM
I tried these strings once and never bought them again... They're just not my thing. I'm a convert to DR Hi-Beams and unless string technology changes drastically I don't think I'll be using different strings... ever... haha.

If I'm in a pinch and need strings but can't get DR's anywhere locally I'll substitue some D'Addario XL's (100-80-65-45), but definitely not the Prosteels. Sorry Naveed :(

kilian
11-15-2006, 04:19 PM
^^I am also a DR believer.. But do you use D'Addario XL's instead?! Wow. I once changed strings between two sets, D'Addario XL's and a set of (older) Hi-Beams. And God.. I could easily notice the difference. What a superb increase of bass and presence.

edgebass5
11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
^^^I only use D'Addario XL's when I can't get DR's. For instance if I'm playing a gig in a town I'm not familiar with and I just wander into some random music shop. Its pretty likely that they'll have D'Addario XL's (I would venture to guess that they're the most common string in shops in the US), but not very likely that they'll have DR Hi-Beams.

If I have the choice between the two its DR Hi-Beams for sure :thumb:

kilian
11-16-2006, 04:40 PM
But I ment to say that the DR's sound even better when they're dead :thumb:

Or don't you miss the great bass and other qualities of the strings?

edgebass5
11-16-2006, 06:16 PM
^^^Dead strings are dead strings to me. A dead set of DR's will always sound worse than a new set of D'Addarios. If my strings don't sound new I don't keep them on my bass.

Naveed Afzal
11-17-2006, 05:12 AM
Amen Edge.

theres a difference between broken in and dead...

i do enjoy the sound of semi dead strings... and the bright cackly sound of brand new strings...(sometimes)

Ill put a new set on and just beat thme up for 2 days prior to when i actually need them.

kilian
11-18-2006, 08:35 AM
I rather have booming bass & growl from the DR's then sparkling highs from new XL's :p

But to each his own!

Radiobass81
12-19-2006, 12:59 PM
The XL's have no low-end, and the Hi-Beams are too noisy and lack in the high-end.. :(

One day, one day, I will find the perfect strings for me.