PDA

View Full Version : Double Bass Pedal Slipping

PrinceOfDarkness
06-22-2005, 03:49 AM
OK, so I've set-up my new Iron Cobra double bass pedal and hit a couple of annoying problems:

- the left pedal is squeezed really close to the hi-hat pedal between the hi-hat stand legs (this, i can live with i guess until i can afford a hi-hat stand with wider legs)

- my left pedal slips forward on my tiled floor after about 2 kicks! this i can't live live with! does anyone have any tips on how to secure it? i notice there are 2 screws going downwards through the iron plate right at the back - are these to attach it to something?

I've never set-up double bass before so any tips would be great

WHoRRID
06-22-2005, 03:59 AM
play on a carpet...

and for that hihat u could pull the legs up and clampit to another stand

DxRocker
06-22-2005, 04:45 AM
- the left pedal is squeezed really close to the hi-hat pedal between the hi-hat stand legs (this, i can live with i guess until i can afford a hi-hat stand with wider legs)

==> solution: hi-hat stand with rotatable legs, or a clamp to attach the hi-hat to another stand like the above poster suggested

- my left pedal slips forward on my tiled floor after about 2 kicks! this i can't live live with! does anyone have any tips on how to secure it? i notice there are 2 screws going downwards through the iron plate right at the back - are these to attach it to something?

==> You can idd use those screws to attach it to the floor, but 99/100 you won't be able to do that on gigs. your solutions lies in carpet. Find a cheap piece of carpet somewhere that is large enough to be placed under your kit (stands and everything!). This carpet is holy to you! This piece of equipment is just as much part of your kit as you bassdrum pedal - Believe me!

Put some velcro under your left (and even the right) pedal of the double pedal. This will make sure that it sticks to the carpet and hence will not move anymore. This stuff works GREAT!

PrinceOfDarkness
06-22-2005, 05:04 AM
thanks - that's great information i will look in to the carpet this evening.

with reagrds the general set-up of the hi-hat and bass pedals, does anyone have any pictures of the clamp solution? and also, a picture of how close together people usually have the 2 pedals would be useful. basically, any double bass set-up pictures would come in handy

many thanks

DxRocker
06-22-2005, 05:11 AM
Here's one of my double bass setup. The hi-hat is attached to the left bassdrum, because I didn't have enough place to put the legs...
The pedals are a few inches apart, but it was still pretty comfy to play. It's a matter of getting used to:

http://users.telenet.be/Drums/HiHatAttach.JPG

And here is one of my current setup. No double bass, but double pedal. My hi-hat stand is an Iron cobra, so it only has 2 legs wich are also rotatable.
Those hi-hat stands make the life of the double pedal-er a whole lot easier (as you can see):

http://users.telenet.be/Drums/drumdriver.JPG

glad I could help

punkdrums
06-22-2005, 05:50 AM
nice kit dx rocker. probably one of my favourites on here!

DxRocker
06-22-2005, 06:09 AM
nice kit dx rocker. probably one of my favourites on here!

Tnx...
I'm looking forward to the day I can actually play it as good as it looks... :upset:

Killjoy
06-22-2005, 06:22 AM
still looks cool

PrinceOfDarkness
06-22-2005, 07:06 AM
cheers dx - nice kit

dairyairman
06-22-2005, 07:37 AM
and one more thing. if you get a carpet/rug, make sure your thone sits on it too, otherwise the whole carpet and everything on it will start inching forward, especially if it's on a slick surface like a tile floor. you can actually buy rugs designed for laying under drum kits, but a piece of carpet works fine too.

motleyman
06-22-2005, 08:50 AM
play on a carpet...

and for that hihat u could pull the legs up and clampit to another stand

you could just put a little rug rite where u need it and the legs you can probably rorate

motleyman
06-22-2005, 08:53 AM
hey dx, aren't you the guy with the 9 piece double bass kit with the black pinstripes?

Fuzzy
06-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Yes, he is :) I love all those splashes :thumb:

GooseFilms.net
06-22-2005, 10:47 AM
dx, if i were you id stack both of those chinas. adds to trashiness

double_bass_drummer
06-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I had the same problem. Buy a "gig rug". Guitar center hold them i think. And for the hi-hat part, buy a hi-hat stand with a rotating bass. It helps sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. I bought a Pearl one and it was about $60. And it was worth it.

rishjo15
06-22-2005, 01:29 PM
The best kind of carpet for drumming is berber.
http://www.carpetcave.com/Carpet_Shopping_Gallery/Residential_or_Commercial/Residential_Carpet_Styles/PhilBerOne12_/PhilBerberOne12.jpg

DemonicRubberDucky
06-22-2005, 01:33 PM
DX, just make sure that you're good with one foot before you try out double bass, my teacher told me that if drummers get into double bass prematurely, their right foot can really become inept.

Nice set :)

GooseFilms.net
06-22-2005, 01:37 PM
glue it to the floor.

motleyman
06-22-2005, 02:03 PM
lol

poppinfresh
06-22-2005, 02:05 PM
when i saw john blackwell in clinic, he had his camco pedal, and he duct taped his slave pedal to the ground. Try that.

DemonicRubberDucky
06-22-2005, 02:35 PM
when i saw john blackwell in clinic, he had his camco pedal, and he duct taped his slave pedal to the ground. Try that.

Haha, duct taping slaves to the floor. :lol:

TheClash6412
06-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Haha, duct taping slaves to the floor. :lol:
you're horrible

Double Bass Jim
06-22-2005, 03:44 PM
DX = The greatest 4 piece kit of all time. What a KILLER set-up.

If your slave pedal is sliding around alot and your on a slick floor use a nail. I had to do this when I was using a DBpedal. Get the pedals all lined up then put a nail into the floor right infront of the pedal. Butt it up against the nail good and it won't budge at all.

darkevent89
06-22-2005, 04:36 PM
^But he's on a tiled floor. Just duct tape that crap already.

"5150"
06-22-2005, 05:15 PM
==> solution: hi-hat stand with rotatable legs, or a clamp to attach the hi-hat to another stand like the above poster suggested

==> You can idd use those screws to attach it to the floor, but 99/100 you won't be able to do that on gigs. your solutions lies in carpet. Find a cheap piece of carpet somewhere that is large enough to be placed under your kit (stands and everything!). This carpet is holy to you! This piece of equipment is just as much part of your kit as you bassdrum pedal - Believe me!

Put some velcro under your left (and even the right) pedal of the double pedal. This will make sure that it sticks to the carpet and hence will not move anymore. This stuff works GREAT!

What he said ^^ and screw in the little nail-like things on the slave pedal and it should grip the carpet well.

Trècool42
06-22-2005, 09:27 PM
i know a kid...dont get me wrong hes a good drummer for his age...hes in 5th grade now....and this kids got a friking pearl export 6 pice in chrome.....with Zildjian A's! and hes 10! but anyway...he dosent have a drum rug..he has a quilt....and he uses about a 6 inch piece of a metal railroad..like the actual track that trains run on...its about as i said..6 inches long but it weighs about 15 pounds...just put that sucker infront of the slave pedal..as for me i just have a drum rug...a good alternative if theres no scrap railroad that you can hack at

DxRocker
06-23-2005, 01:43 AM
DX, just make sure that you're good with one foot before you try out double bass, my teacher told me that if drummers get into double bass prematurely, their right foot can really become inept.

... :rolleyes: ... :lol:

DX = The greatest 4 piece kit of all time. What a KILLER set-up.

haha, cheers dbj. Wait till you see my new setup. I have a new plan in my head. This time it's going to be a 6-piece without rack, just like you love it :D
I've been playing the 4 piece for several months now and it did wonders for me. I've talked it over with my teacher and told him that I felt it that my playing improved by sizing down on all the drums. He told me that it isn't so much the downsize as it is the different setup that made me drum differently and come up with new ideas.

He said: "You are lucky to have all this gear. Not cause you are able to put a monster together (wich is off course, heaps of fun :p ), but because you have the opportunity to toy around with countless different setups. There's only that many ways to setup a regular 5-pc if you don't have any extra stands. But if you have a few dozen clamps, booms, stands, pedals, hi-hat stands (broken ones as well as working ones :p ), a rack, bunch of cymbals and a bunch of toms you can pretty much do WHATEVER you want..."

So the mission for the future: totally change the setup every few months and return to the full monster in a year or two. Apparantly my teacher is quite confident that my progress will be exponential and by the time the monster is back, I should be able to fly over it like never before.

So.... stay tuned for more pics in the future :lol:

TTTSNB
06-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Here's one of my double bass setup. The hi-hat is attached to the left bassdrum, because I didn't have enough place to put the legs...
The pedals are a few inches apart, but it was still pretty comfy to play. It's a matter of getting used to:

http://users.telenet.be/Drums/HiHatAttach.JPG

And here is one of my current setup. No double bass, but double pedal. My hi-hat stand is an Iron cobra, so it only has 2 legs wich are also rotatable.
Those hi-hat stands make the life of the double pedal-er a whole lot easier (as you can see):

http://users.telenet.be/Drums/drumdriver.JPG

glad I could help
That looks really nice man. Love the setup and especially the cymbals. Threadstarter, get a 2 legged or rotating 3 leg hihat stand, and put a weight in front of the slave pedal so it can't move.

red n black
06-23-2005, 12:25 PM
http://www.pearldrum.com/acps85.jpg

get this thing, it's an Pearl pedal anker.

PS-85
The PS-85 attaches to the secondary pedal of most double pedals and adds stability and slip prevention.

I haven't tried it but it looks like it would work (so does duct tape though)

It's your choice, Good Luck

poppinfresh
06-23-2005, 01:00 PM
hes on tiles, it wont work.

Cheungman
06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
pretty easy to buy a 11$ drum carpet ( or just get some carpet from home depot or something).

poppinfresh
06-23-2005, 01:10 PM
yeah if you get carpet it will be much easier and you wont slip.

GooseFilms.net
06-23-2005, 01:43 PM
actually, screw the carpet. get a lot of flypaper

poppinfresh
06-23-2005, 01:51 PM
haha

red n black
06-23-2005, 02:09 PM
But you can turn the "sticks" around and get the rubber against the floor.

That would work :)

GLoubu
06-23-2005, 03:10 PM
DX... I'm offically jealous....

claytam2000
01-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Check out www.phatfoot.com. it was the hit of the NAMM show. It really works.

claytam2000
01-27-2006, 11:54 PM
oh yeah, Phatfoot is a harness that keeps the drums from walking without a carpet!

Better Than I Sound
01-28-2006, 03:06 PM
get a mat to solve the slipping problem. or a carpet.. that helps with the room noise thing too. if thats not an option get one of those mats you put until your computer chair... big enough to go under everything.

super_kick08
01-28-2006, 04:57 PM
get a big weight...or a cinder block...ive seen both done...and people usually have that stuff lying around..but i'd still go with the carpet...tile usually causes an echo which makes drums sound bad(in my experiences)

Double Bass Jim
01-28-2006, 06:16 PM
A carpet is good anyway, label it off with duct tape markers on the floorspan, that way when you set-up/tear down you can re position quickly in the right spots.