PDA

View Full Version : Ashdown EB-180

TheBlackAcidChildren
06-13-2005, 02:57 AM
http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/press//press_images/bass/EB15180.jpg

I got this bass amp around the same time as I got my Ibanez bass, and I have to say it was a very good choice. It's a really solidly made combo with 180 watts of power driving a 15" speaker. It's also got the little ashdown "speedometer" input level meter, in the form of five LEDs going from green through to red. :cool: The amp only cost about 290 (about $460 I think) and from the power and features you get it's a great choice.

The EB-180 has two inputs, "high" and "low", designed for use with passive or active instrument pickups. There are adjustable input and output levels and a fantastic five-band EQ with which you can adjust your tone to your content. There is also a button to turn the EQ on or off and a "deep" button and a "bright" button to add instant bass or treble boost to your sound.

One of the niftiest features of the amp is the "sub-harmonics" control - when switched on it plays both the note you play and the same note an octave down. This can really thicken out your sound if you're playing on the higher strings - although on the lower strings (especially if you play five-string) it's less useful. The effect becomes more noticeable if you dial in more bass EQ, and there's a level controller the sub-harmonics so you can subtly blend them into your sound.

The amp has an effects send/return loop, a line-out on the front that can also be used to plug in a tuner for on-stage use, and a Post-EQ DI (XLR Mic lead) out that allows you to plug straight into a mixing desk. I've found this ideal for recording the bass.

Overall this is a great combo I'd reccommend to anyone who wants a powerful bass amp that's packed with features.

andy3288
12-11-2005, 02:42 PM
how would you rate this amp on its giggability? is it loud enough to play small-medium sized gigs? (pubs, halls etc.)

JeBuSrOcKs
12-11-2005, 03:10 PM
i was thinking about getting one of those so thanks for the review :thumb:

rage f*****g rule
12-12-2005, 03:45 AM
i've had one since last christmas and it is great!
mine was only about 240-ish (me and friends spend lots of money at the music shop so got great discount...) and sounds really great.

One of the niftiest features of the amp is the "sub-harmonics" control - when switched on it plays both the note you play and the same note an octave down. This can really thicken out your sound if you're playing on the higher strings - although on the lower strings (especially if you play five-string) it's less useful. The effect becomes more noticeable if you dial in more bass EQ, and there's a level controller the sub-harmonics so you can subtly blend them into your sound.

well, i have a squier mb5 and the low B sounds amazing with sub harmonics... i don't tend to use this much as it makes my floor shake. so would it be ideal for medium - small clubs? YES!

great choice of amp, hope you enjoy it...

Your Tourniquet
12-28-2005, 03:13 AM
I got it for christmas... awesome amp!

Zmev
01-10-2006, 04:00 AM
I bought this amp last year for about $300, it's great, highly recommended.

Fun fact: When turned all the way up, this amp can be heard clearly accross the street. (I had fun doing that little experiment)

Your Tourniquet
01-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Used it live for the first time last Friday- I won't be buying a new amp for years now. Geez, that thing rules in live situations!

rage f*****g rule
01-31-2006, 08:49 AM
it's funny you should say that... i used mine for the first time live on saturday... i only used it in my bedroom beforehand so it has never been above 1/8th volume... i played a gig at a friend's birthday party and still only had my amp just above 1/4 volume and it was plenty loud enough. it's an amazing amp. i played with the sub harmonics on slightly to give it a bit of edge...
how'd the gig go?

JackG
01-31-2006, 04:24 PM
I have had this amp now for just over a year, and it is absoloutely incredible.

203 for a 180 Watt Bass Amp, is not bad value, and you are getting the signature Ashdown Tone, i would reccomend this bass to any intermediate bass player with expierence, there are lesser models for 183 they are still great.

Hope that helped, if not sorry

eriatarka
01-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Is there not a review for this already?

I think you could have given us more info.

Your Tourniquet
02-01-2006, 01:59 AM
it's funny you should say that... i used mine for the first time live on saturday... i only used it in my bedroom beforehand so it has never been above 1/8th volume... i played a gig at a friend's birthday party and still only had my amp just above 1/4 volume and it was plenty loud enough. it's an amazing amp. i played with the sub harmonics on slightly to give it a bit of edge...
how'd the gig go?

It was awesome thanks! :thumb: It sounds so much clearer in a live situation... I think that's because there's no carpet or something.

And how was yours?

Your Tourniquet
02-01-2006, 04:37 AM
There is indeed a thread on this already... awesome amp though

Chris K
02-01-2006, 09:47 AM
signature Ashdown Tone

Yep, thats the big problem right there :amaze:

JackG
02-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Yep, thats the big problem right there :amaze:

Sorry about that, it was quick, but still a cool amp though

Your Tourniquet
02-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Sorry about that, it was quick, but still a cool amp though

I love the Ashdown tone!

JackG
02-01-2006, 12:10 PM
its real deal stuff

rage f*****g rule
02-01-2006, 05:22 PM
went pretty well also, thanks. got offered the chance to play a half an hour acoustic show if we want to...

elmo121
05-25-2006, 04:22 PM
i hav that amp, its rather good, pleanty loud enough for gigs (i have it on less than 3/4 at the 150 capacity camberly football club, and the bass is realy prominent in are band. I am however replaceing it with an ABM300 head and MAG 300 4x10 cab beacuse i can:p awesum amp though, i gets many tones, from ultra bright so-cal style through to insanely deep and bassy. would recomend to anyone:thumb:

warning: is a fairly heavy amp, although that may just be me bieng weak :smoke:

b00mer
05-25-2006, 07:19 PM
I am pretty sure Im gonna get this AMP for a couple of hundred quid instead of buying my bass tutors old rig which was 2 Marshall stacks and a Peavey head for 300, any advice guys?

fastrack
06-09-2006, 07:10 AM
My best pal just gifted me!! It's incredible!!

peon
06-18-2006, 06:43 PM
good review, helped me a lot

b00mer
08-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Ok I ended up getting this amp anyway, turns out my tutor blew his amp at last years festival which is why he wanted to sell it to me, haven't had a chance to gig with it yet, but that time will come this Friday. Ill update this thread with how I found it. By the way I got it for 215, and it looks like I have a new model, because it comes with a proper backlit dial instead of LEDs, real classy.

HELLonWHEELS
08-20-2006, 05:48 PM
I love the Ashdown tone!
I have owned the EB 115 and you don't ge the classic ashdown tone you hear in ABM series. The amp has a great tone but it distorts way to easily which can get very annoying also the EQ eats up your effects to the point where you can't even hear them. I wouldn't recommend this amp for giging just for at home pratice or jamming. Go with the MAG if you got the cash

Machines
08-22-2006, 01:02 PM
By the way I got it for 215, and it looks like I have a new model, because it comes with a proper backlit dial instead of LEDs, real classy.

Yep - Ashdown have updated the EB series with a proper VU meter.

And I got my Ashdown EB12-180 for 179 new from Soundcontrol, a veritable bargain.

stinger
10-22-2006, 03:49 PM
i bought the EB180 2x10 about 4 years ago, very awsome amp, it conked out on me 2 tuesdays ago :( and my crappy local music shop havnt been able to fix it yet,

i was thinking about upgrading to ABM300 EVOII with a 4x10 cab, and maybe a 1x15 underneath if that amp can power them, i dont understand the wattage in amps and stuff, if the amp is 325W, and the 4x10 is 600W will it ok? and what if i added the 300W 1x15?

Machines
12-05-2006, 11:25 AM
i was thinking about upgrading to ABM300 EVOII with a 4x10 cab, and maybe a 1x15 underneath if that amp can power them, i dont understand the wattage in amps and stuff, if the amp is 325W, and the 4x10 is 600W will it ok? and what if i added the 300W 1x15?

Yes it'd be fine. The ABM peaks at 325w (with both cabs connected, about half of that with one) - so it won't overload the 4x10 or the 1x15. The ABM might be underpowered with a 410 and 115 to be honest.. there's no risk to the speakers or head though.

The only problem can arise when a head is rated too high for the cabs, e.g. a 600w amp into a 200w cab.

bawjustice
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
i love ashdowns
this amp is def in my future

also the picture above is of the 12inch model not the 15

josh3184
01-23-2008, 05:17 PM
just managed to get one from a sound engineer for 50, safe to say I've got a bargain :D