Information (from the Hartke site):
Heavy-duty plywood construction
Four 10" proprietary drivers
One horn loaded high frequency transducer
Power Handling: 400 Watts @ 8 Ohms
Ergonomic handles
Parallel 1/4" Inputs

Construction: 4/5
This cabinet is pretty solid. It's around 80 lbs, so it's not going to fall apart easily. The plastic corners chip pretty easily; one of mine broke while loading it into the car. The carpet covering is beautiful, and the metal grill is very nice. The hole in the back is covered by a tough plastic covering. The inputs are recessed into a plastic-covered well and clearly labeled. The handles are sturdy and not too bad to hold. It gets a 4/5 from me because of the plastic corners.

Sound: 3.5/5
This cabinet does not sound bad. It doesn't sound like a high end cabinet would, but it definitely delivers a wonderful sound considering its price. The cab sings on the highs. The 4 paper cone 10" speakers and its tweeter give this cab awesome clarity and definition for higher notes and slapping/popping. The cab also handles mids and lows very well down to about drop D. Lower than that (open and the first 2 frets on my 5 string's low B) it begins to lose some definition. This could be because I'm underpowering it (only putting about 200w into this 400w cab) but I think it would be the perfect cab to mate with a 15" or 12" cab. There is also no way to control the tweeter at all. You can't turn it off or adjust the volume. I don't mind because I like the way it sounds, but some people might want more control.

Value: 4/5
For $300 (at Sam Ash, at a brick & mortar store you could probably talk them down a bit more) this is a great cab. It does everything I need it to even with only a Behringer BX3000T head driving it. With that head it is loud enough to be heard with two guitarists with 100w half stacks, a metal drummer, and a vocalist who screams into a decent PA setup and it still maintains a great sound. For earth shaking lows you might want to go with a larger speaker size, but other than that I would highly recommend this cab.

Overall: 4/5
The combination of great construction, very nice sound and a moderately low price make this a great cabinet. I don't have a picture of mine handy, but I will link to one and link to the website as well. If anyone has any questions please ask.

http://www.samsontech.com/images/productimages/vx410.jpg
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=43&brandID=3

WhoDidTheElf
06-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Great review. Does it have holes already drilled for casters?

groundzero
06-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Great review. Does it have holes already drilled for casters?
No, unfortunately.

baggagebassman
06-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Nice review. I'm in the market for a Hartke cab, but I want aluminum cones.

twopelu
07-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Im going for the XL 4x10, probably

FunkMaster_
07-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Have the same cab and it is indeed a good cab... And I also broke one of the plastic corners... And as you said, great to go along with a 15" cab... I use it with a HA3500 head and a self-built 1x15 cab, and never had any problems... I went as low as drop D and still sounded good...

Psichosis
07-13-2005, 04:44 AM
Have the same cab and it is indeed a good cab... And I also broke one of the plastic corners... And as you said, great to go along with a 15" cab... I use it with a HA3500 head and a self-built 1x15 cab, and never had any problems... I went as low as drop D and still sounded good...

So did I. :p

British Kid
07-13-2005, 04:15 PM
hey, quick question. this is the cab that they use for the Hartke VX3500 combo amp? i'm hopefully getting one soon. i played thru one very similar by hartke, but it had aluminum cones, which i don't really care for but the tone is close.

sixxbassist90
07-13-2005, 06:42 PM
hey, quick question. this is the cab that they use for the Hartke VX3500 combo amp? i'm hopefully getting one soon. i played thru one very similar by hartke, but it had aluminum cones, which i don't really care for but the tone is close.
yep, thats the cab

TigerArmy
07-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the review, I have just ordered the HA3500 head and VX 1x15 as well, so I hope it sounds as good. To see you say it can be heard over a pair of 100 watt half stacks is reassuring indeed.

TheMachineRagesOn
07-25-2005, 07:14 AM
Im going for the XL 4x10, probably

i have recently bought that cab, as well as an XL 1x15 with a HA3000 head and trust me its more than worth the money, the aluminium cones sound beautiful, especially with slapping/popping and with the extra 15 sub on the bottom you get some pretty impressive low end.

well worth it :thumb:

twopelu
07-26-2005, 06:29 AM
i have recently bought that cab, as well as an XL 1x15 with a HA3000 head and trust me its more than worth the money, the aluminium cones sound beautiful, especially with slapping/popping and with the extra 15 sub on the bottom you get some pretty impressive low end.

well worth it :thumb:

Ive changed my mind and Im definitely going for a 2x10 + 1x15 XL Hartke cabs. Its a good combination I guess, fo about 500-600 euros you get very relieble and good stuff.

TheMachineRagesOn
07-26-2005, 06:52 AM
i bought my entire rig for 2500 australian, im still wondering if it was too much but its too late now i guess.

Alma
07-27-2005, 03:43 AM
Whats the rig you bought?

darrell
09-24-2005, 02:19 PM
So did I. :p

I have another Hartke (the one with the aluminum cones)... Anyways, the first or second day I broke one of those corner plastic pieces too. Maybe it's defective? lol.

1-D
09-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Nice review man;D

Pedal2daMetal
09-26-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm thinking of adding this to my vx215 and 3500 head.

janyeno
09-26-2005, 11:34 PM
I got one of these... using it with a behringer bx3000t and another 2x10 cab... and it is a pretty sweet cab for the money...

The lows are produced better than I expected...

egarrz
10-17-2005, 07:57 AM
are the alumminium cones worth it? i assume they are more durable? it there much difference in the sound they produce? the XL costs a little more but comes with alumminium cones

PainKiller8191
10-18-2005, 02:50 AM
could someone talk about the differences in sound with the aluminum cones and other material-based cones?? plastic?

the101er
10-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the review man :thumb:

Mine just came through the door... IT SOUNDS AMAZING :thumb:

the101er
10-28-2005, 10:23 AM
are the alumminium cones worth it? i assume they are more durable? it there much difference in the sound they produce? the XL costs a little more but comes with alumminium cones

Actually, I think the aluminium cones are weaker than the paper cones. My mate was trying to repare or replace some for this bloke who's cones have split quite a few times.

As for the sound, I would expect the aluminium ones to be raspier and more punchy, although I have no first-hand expirence

Twizzler
10-29-2005, 03:32 PM
As far as I know Aluminum cones have a higher/brighter sound to them. The major drawback to them is that they will crack and fall apart easily, also never expose them to cold weather, the cones will shrink pretty quick and could cause damage (part of the reason they crack).

sinister
04-13-2006, 08:19 AM
I have the HA3500 head and was looking to combine it with this cab, it looks like lots of other people have done that to, any problems? How hard is it for portability?

I play in a funky pop rock band would that work for that?

Also TS, what do you mean by looses definition below drop D, I have a five string too.

Anybody got any idea how a VX 210 (the two by ten version) would sound compared to this?

And what sound does the tweeter add? I havnt seen many cabs with one in.

I ask way too many questions, thanks if you do answer some though

Mr. Pickle
04-13-2006, 05:33 PM
are the alumminium cones worth it?

honestly, one of the only hartke product that i think is worth it