PDA

View Full Version : The Who

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

lunch998
05-29-2005, 11:03 PM
The Who

Short Disclaimer: You may or may not notice that I did not mention everything The Who have released, or all the people in their line-up at all times. Nor did I mention Tommy(the movie) or Quadrophenia (the movie). I wanted to focus on The Who’s music in their prime years, rather than their various reunions and films.

“Ok, if you hate The Who, you won’t like it. Fuck you.”
-Pete Townshend (talking about the Thirty Years of Maximum R&B Box Set).

Band Members:
Pete Townshend: Guitar, vocals
Roger Daltrey: Vocals, harmonica
John Entwistle: Bass, vocals, French horn
Keith Moon (until 1978): Drums, vocals
Kenney Jones (after 1978): Drums
John Bundrick (after 1978): Keyboards

Discography:
1964: Singles: I’m the Face
1965: Singles: I Can’t Explain, My Generation
1965: The Who Sings My Generation
1966: Singles: Substitute, I’m a Boy, The Kids Are Alright, Happy Jack
1966: A Quick One
1967: Singles: Pictures of Lilly, I Can See For Miles
1967: The Who Sell Out
1968: Singles: I Can’t Reach You, Dogs, Magic Bus.
1968: Magic Bus – The Who on Tour
1969: Singles: Pinball Wizard, I’m Free, The Acid Queen
1969: Tommy
1970: Singles: The Seeker, Summertime Blues
1970: Live at Leeds
1971: Singles: Behind Blue Eyes, Lets See Action
1971: Who’s Next
1971: Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy
1972: Singles: Join Together, Relay
1973: Singles: 5:15, Love Reign O’Er Me
1973: Quadrophenia
1974: Single: The Rael Me
1974: Odds and Sods
1975: Singles: Squeeze Box, Slip Kid
1975: The Who by the Numbers
1978: Who Are You?
1979: The Kids Are Alright (Soundtrack)
1981: Face Dances
1982: It’s Hard
1991: Thirty Years of Maximum R&B (Box Set)
1996: My Generation – The Very Best of the Who
1996: Live at the Isle of Wight
2000: BBC Sessions
2002: Ultimate Collection
2002: Live at the Royal Albert Hall
2004: Then and Now: 1964-2004

Few bands in rock history have had the talent, ability, energy, and impact as The Who did from the mid 60’s to the late 70’s. Starting as an offshoot of the British Invasion, the Who evolved to become one of the most powerful and one of the greatest rock n’ roll bands of all time. Though by definition they weren’t a super-group (the members were not already established as premier musicians before The Who took off), they arguably had the talent to be one. Destroying equipment, blowing up bass drums, Townshend’s windmill, Daltrey’s tough guy attitude and rock vocal power, and Entwistle’s “eye of the hurricane” approach to the stage show and lead bass-playing are all defining parts of The Who that make them a legend in their time and into today.

Pete Townshend was the artistic leader of the band, and he constantly moved them in new directions to reach areas no rock bands had been and few have been since. Aside from his artistic creativity, his guitar playing was very good. He is often overlooked because he did not do many solos or much flashy guitar work, but he fit the band perfectly. Not only was Townshend a capable guitarist, but his songwriting ability is up there with the best. Townshend also sang background vocals and occasionally lead vocals, making him even more valuable to the band. Roger Daltrey, the singer of the group, started as a great singer with solid range and glimpses of power. His versatility allowed him to progress into a power-rock front man, and his amazing stage presence propelled The Who’s live shows throughout their career.

But the real focus of The Who is usually on the rhythm section (or in The Who’s case, the lead instrumental section). John Entwistle was a pioneer in bass playing, as he was one of first players to show that bass could be the lead instrument in rock music. He immediately made his presence known in The Who with his heavy sound and distorted bass, like the fills in My Generation . Entwistle also added solid backup vocals, which gave The Who more dimensions in their vocal harmonies. And then ,of course, there is Keith Moon. Moon was a defining aspect of The Who, and a key part of why they were so different from almost all other bands. His attacking drum style, blazing speed, and constant fills would become a trademark of The Who, especially in their live show. Although Keith is usually noted for being a crazy man on the drums, he tends to show a significant amount of control on their studio albums. There are more fills than other drummers, but enough restraint so as not to ruin the track. Instrumentally, Entwistle and Moon led the band. Townshend was a good guitar player, but he usually found himself pounding out power-chords and solid riffs in the role of a rhythm player while John and Keith took the role as lead players. That is not to say that Pete never played lead or that he could not solo, however.

Townshend and Entwistle first met each other in high school, and initially played in a Dixieland band together (John was on trumpet and Pete was on banjo) in 1962. In 1963, Entwistle left to play bass for the newly formed Detours, with singer Roger Daltrey already in place. Soon, Townshend joined them band on guitar. Not long after, there was a drumming void, and Keith Moon was added to the band. They changed their name to The Who in 1964. After struggling for a few months to progress, the band met an interested manager in Pete Meaden. Under his direction, the band became known as the High Numbers and began wearing suits and playing more of an R&B style. Their first single contained I’m the Face/Zoot Suit , but it faired poorly. Meaden was cut, and they reformed as The Who. I Can’t Explain was the band’s next single, and it did much better. After the band played a TV performance that featured Moon and Townshend destroying their instruments, The Who starting gaining popularity.

The band’s dynamics in this time period are very interesting. Each member had vastly different personalities, which often led to disputes and arguments, sometimes even violence onstage. Instead of keeping these altercations private, The Who made them well-known. They became notorious for their violent demeanor and aggressive stage act, but instead of having a negative effect on the band, the result was that their popularity continually grew. It is important here to stress the Who’s significance to the Mod movement in London at the time. The hundred of mods in the audience became a medium through which The Who could let out their pent-up aggression. In these years, The Who soon became the Mod band, the voice of the rebellious teenagers, soon to represent what rock and roll would become: a defiant escape from the previous generation and a defiant statement against it.

As I Can’t Explain had jumped to the British Top Ten, the band was now ready to record an album. The Who Sings My Generation was built around the title track, also released as a single. The album showcases the raw style of the band early in their career. There is noticeable influence of R&B, blues, and Motown, added into the Who’s style of power rock. Its lasting legacy to music is undoubtedly My Generation . This song displays the defiant attitude of the band and Townshend’s infamous, “hope I die before I get old” line. The rebellious nature of the song even became somewhat of an influence on the future punk movement, which would start to see its true beginnings in just a couple years. Also seen here are instrumental statements of Entwistle and Moon. As mentioned before, Entwistle’s fills are remarkable. The end of the song features Moon all over the drums, producing a wall of sound that no other drummer of the time could even hope to emulate. The song would also become a key part of their live show for the upcoming years.

The single Substitute was released shortly after that album, and met more British success. The song itself is a solid pop tune with great drumming and good vocals. The Band again prepared for more studio work. The Who’s next record would prove to be an interesting one, to say the least. Titled A Quick One (in Britain) or Happy Jack (in America), it would expand on the base of The Who to showcase a wide variety of music. The tracks range from the circus type music of Cobwebs and Strange (which features amazing drumming from Moon, it’s somewhat of a mini drum solo) to the ten minute mini-opera of the title track, A Quick One . This is Townshend’s first experiment with a lengthy piece that centered on a theme. The plot concerns a woman who cheats on her husband while he is away for a long time. Musically, the song moves through six movements that run together successfully. Also on the album were the strange Happy Jack and even stranger Boris the Spider , both of which are solid and are now well known tracks. The most important parts of this album were the fact that the band was certainly showing signs of evolution (which were necessary to further develop and survive as the 60’s died out), and the mini-opera concept Townshend was starting to create. This idea would become more important on the band’s next album, and eventually reach a climax on Tommy.

lunch998
05-29-2005, 11:05 PM
Their next record, The Who Sell Out (1967), is debatably a concept album that centers on a mock radio broadcast program. Between nearly every song, there is a short mock radio jingle. The album even includes the band advertising certain products in song form, as the title would suggest. There are some rather obvious examples of this, such as Heinz Baked Beans , and other examples that can actually stand alone as solid songs, like Odorono . There is even some dabbing in psychedelia (after all, it was 1967) like on Armenia, City In the Sky . The Who take full advantage of the studio to produce this record, though the music itself still has a bit of the raw essence of the early Who. These early albums do not tend to present the loud raucous Who that their live show represented; instead, there is a strong sense of melody and control. Moon shows remarkable constraint (for him, at least) on songs like Tattoo . Sunrise, I Can’t Reach You, and Our Love Was showed Townshend’s softer side as a songwriter. I Can See For Miles was the only the album’s top ten hit and the only track that got radio play and it features great singing from Roger and typical Keith Moon drumming. However, the real climax of the album is Rael , and religious conceptual experiment. The Who even develops some of the instrumental themes for Tommy on this song (mostly from songs like Sparks or The Underture ). They were now only a short step away from a full-blown concept album.

The Who’s live show was growing in popularity, size, volume, etc, as they became a bigger band over the last few years. Destroying their equipment was now a standard part of their nightly show. In fact, The Who destroyed so much equipment and gear, that they were actually in debt for a few years, despite the success of their albums and singles. Ironically, the band had stopped smashing their instruments by the time they had enough funds to actually afford doing it. In 1967, The Who performed at the Monterey Pop Festival in front of 200,000 people. Two years before the legendary Woodstock, a festival of this magnitude was a great tool to help launch the band into their upcoming power rock years. In 1968, The Who continued to release singles, including the ever-popular Magic Bus . To help keep momentum, they also released Magic Bus –The Who on Tour , a collection of some early singles and some album cuts not available previously.

Through the rest of 1968, Townshend worked on what would be considered by many the band’s artistic peak. He developed an interesting concept and a complex plot that moved through the life of a deaf, dumb, and blind boy who plays pinball. Tommy , released 1969, is a double-album and a conceptual masterpiece. The album is known for being the first very successful rock-opera (and one of the first in general). Tommy was met with great commercial success, especially in America. The plot, though confusing at times, is generally easy to follow. An interesting aspect of Tommy is in the religious themes it develops. By the end Tommy becomes such a powerful figure for fans seeking salvation (Sally Simpson ). Musically, the album is unquestionably strong. The Who were able to use great vocal harmonies and soft melodies in combination with their naturally loud and upfront style to produce an ideal mix of the two. Moon is excellent without being over-powering, and Townshend’s songwriting may have peaked here with impressive lyrics throughout the whole album. There are also instrumental movements like Sparks and The Underture , both of which relate to a strong musical theme. Combined with unbelievable songs like Amazing Journey, The Overture, Acid Queen, Pinball Wizard, Christmas, I’m Free, We’re Not Gonna Take It , and a great album structure, Tommy is an album that by itself would have made The Who’s career great.

Tommy was the peak of the early Who, and soon the band would undergo changes that would dominate their style in the 70’s. Touring to support the album, their live show grew in magnitude. Often they would play the entire album all the way through, each night reproducing the epic plot. 1969 also brought about another event that would have lasting effects on The Who: Woodstock. The legendary music festival was the basis for further evolution in the band’s sound. The power of their live show was now all but unmatched, and it thrived off performances of epic songs such as the See me, Feel me climax. Roger Daltrey especially evolved during this time. In these years, he became Tommy to the audience, a sex symbol and a leader of the band on stage. Not to say that he was outshining the other members, however. In 1970, The Who decided to document their astounding show with their release of Live at Leeds . The original LP featured rousing versions of Summertime Blues and Young Man Blues , along with a 15-minute version of My Generation that experiments with the Tommy themes. This album is regarded as one of the best live albums ever released, and it’s no wonder why. It is still widely considered one of the best live performances ever recorded. A two-disc Deluxe Edition of the album is now available, which features Tommy performed almost in its entirety.

Later that same year, The Who also played at the gigantic Isle of Wight Festival. With over 600,000 fans in attendance, The Who delivered a spectacular set. The material is similar to that of Live at Leeds , with new songs like Water, I Don’t Even Know Myself, Spoonful/Twist and Shout , and an abridged version of Tommy . The show is now available on DVD as well as CD. The Who’s momentum in 1970 to 1971 was also supplemented by the release of Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy , a collection of early singles, as well as the release of The Seeker as a new single. The new song gave audiences a feel for the type of sound that The Who would produce during the upcoming years.

After the release of a record that stretched the idea of what was possible by four guys on a stage with just their instruments, The Who decided to use the studio to their full advantage on their next album. Synthesizers drive the album, and there use here was one of the first times a band used them so effectively. However, Pete was having difficulty with the album’s concept. Townshend’s original idea was a project titled Lifehouse , which supposedly dealt with science fiction and a utopian society, but the idea was becoming increasingly complex and spiraled out of control. In response to the stress build up and complications, Townshend suffered a nervous breakdown. After his recovering, The Who picked up the pieces of Pete’s failed work and came up with their 1971 release, Who’s Next (this album is said jokingly by many to be the greatest failure in the history of rock music). The new album carried a much heavier sound than their previous studio work, and was very synthesizer-driven. This is evident right from the start of the album. There are definite beginnings of The Who’s “arena rock” era, which would last basically all of the 70’s. Hard rock anthems like Baba O’Riley, Bargain, Behind Blue Eyes, and Won’t Get Fooled Again all became very popular and received extensive play on FM radio. It also contains popular fan songs like My Wife and The Song is Over . Who’s Next is usually thought of as the band’s best album, and is probably their most popular.

After more touring with the new material The Who were ready to go back into the studio. Determined to overcome his previous “failure” and do another Tommy so to speak, Townshend prepared to create another complex concept album. He moved through many possible ideas, each time getting involved in them for a period and then abandoning the concept. Eventually, Townshend settled on looking back at the time he knew best: the Mods. The double-album Quadrophenia was crafted together and released in 1973. The album’s concept dealt with a youth, Jimmy, growing up in 60’s and struggling to find himself in a mod society. Despite starting with a much stronger story than Tommy originally had, Quadrophenia’s plot suffers from being underdeveloped. Townshend tried to incorporate four vastly different personalities into his central character, each of which reflected a member of the band, but this too was left underdeveloped and only weakened Quadrophenia as a thematic album.

Ultimately, the record’s attempted concept was too complex for the mass Who audience to understand. The album is also very studio heavy, meaning that its complexities (horn sections, various studio effects, overdubs, etc) made it very difficult for the band to replicate it live, unlike most of their earlier material. Despite these negative points about the album, the music overall is very well done. Standout tracks include The Real Me, The Punk and the Godfather, I’ve Had Enough, 5:15, and Love Reign O’Er Me. The Real Me features some amazing bass playing, even by Entwistle’s standards, and Love Reign O’Er Me showcases Daltrey’s undeniable power and the emotional climax of the album. Quadrophenia also features what may be Keith Moon’s best studio drumming. However, the inability to reproduce the album’s sound on a tour would prove costly for the group, and caused them to take a step back.

lunch998
05-29-2005, 11:15 PM
After Quadrophenia , The Who began to drift apart slightly. Townshend and Entwistle were both interested in their own solo projects. Pete began to drink excessively, a habit that would plague him for the next several years. Moon was enjoying his rock star lifestyle of substance abuse and like Townshend, this would cause problems for him in the next few years. Regardless of this, Pete continued working on songs for The Who and for their next album. During their off year in 1974, The Who released Odds and Sods , another singles and album cuts collection spanning The Who’s career to that point. The band goes back to the basics on The Who by the Numbers , released 1975. The complex arrangements of the last album were replaced by basically pure rock music. Townshend’s lyrics were very emotional and personal. The album and its subsequent tour were both hits, but it did not stand up the level of their past four releases. The record’s strongest tracks were Slip Kid and Squeeze Box , with a number of other expressive songs like They Are All in Love and How Many Friends . After the tour, The Who was exhausted and artistically worn-out and agreed to take an extended break.

Very little would be heard from the band until they came back together in 1978 to work on their new album. The resulting record would be Who Are You , which was a relatively big success. However, the album is plagued with problems and inconsistencies. Alcoholism and substance abuse were taking their tolls on Townshend and Moon, and although their instrumental ability is still intact, there is the sense that the group is starting to fade. Moon especially during this time was very flakey. It was questionable whether he would turn up for sessions or not. Sometimes he would even forget parts of his drumming and have to relearn things in the studio. The album relied heavily on synthesizers and complex arrangements, and in some cases these are certainly overdone. The title track is the album’s biggest accomplishment. The commercial success of the record may have triggered The Who’s comeback, but it was not to be. On September 7, 1978, Keith Moon overdosed on a drug that was helping him get away from his alcoholism, and died.

Losing a band member like Keith Moon almost immediately implies that the band would not continue. Moon was a defining aspect of The Who for nearly 14 years, and he was certainly not replaceable. Almost no drummers could bring to a band what he brought to The Who. However, the surviving members elected to continue playing. Later they would all agree that The Who in fact did end with Keith Moon’s death. Kenney Jones, formerly of the Small Faces, was hired as Moon’s replacement. Keyboardist John Bundrick was also added to the group, and they began working on new material and set up for a tour. They gained momentum through the release of The Kids Are Alright, a collection of video footage of the group’s entire career. But their momentum and goodwill was crushed when they were informed about the deaths of 11 people after being trampled in a Cincinnati accident. Townshend fell deep into drug use now, and had an almost fatal encounter with heroin in 1981. Daltrey and Entwistle worked on their solo careers, but met limited success. The band reformed to release Face Dances (1981) and It’s Hard (1982). Though with some standout material (namely Eminence Front ), the albums pale in comparison to The Who of ten years ago. Their 1982 Tour was supposedly a goodbye to fans, as they were basically packing it in. The remainder of the 80’s saw numerous Who collections emerge, and finally in 1991 the band brought together a successful 4-disc box set. The three core members continued their solo careers, and have reunited a few times in the 90’s for brief tours and various benefits. When it looked as though the group was gaining steam, John Entwistle died in June of 2002.

The Who’s lasting legacy to rock music is one of the greatest ever left. They did what no band had done and very few have done. Between the early mod Who, the guitar-smashing mid 60’s Who, the concept/thematic album Who, and the unyielding arena-rock Who, few bands have changed as much as they did and covered so much area in music. Their legendary live show is still though off as one of the best rock has ever seen. With the super talented musicians they had, it is no wonder that The Who were able to produce so much good music and influence so many bands and artists of their time, and even now. Their music will indeed live on forever.

Downloads:
My Generation (http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=17SU2SKD4V8KQ3I4PL96NJ93VN)

I Can See For Miles (http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2THPTFQJ139NO2JRMIM2VD5CPM)

Magic Bus (http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=17ZUUBHC4ILZ32LZR45IHDRCYQ)

The Overture (http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3MBQL0I0FEP2I2SD399HI09TVP)

Pinball Wizard (http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2FG89YD3KJP830HHH3NL88PKIN)

Heaven and Hell (Live at Leeds) (http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=21AN242AE76WP35CS7GSFTX0AP)

Young Man Blues (Live at Leeds) (http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1X7JRMZQ4JVY805LIO5FNSP712)

Baba O'Riley (http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=06QFG4NZX9ALM2NY1KEGPQSK27)

Won't Get Fooled Again (http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3O85MALW8KAL71BKS3NNXJY2G1)

The Real Me (http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3N9XLB1ION95N31DKZYC34P10N)

Love Reign O'Er Me (http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=21PPPTTRBKJME23LBEIRTHI4C1)

Slip Kid (http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=112UBAVLBHX151N2OCP0TKFDVX)

Who Are You (http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3C7ILDC9H7Z2B3MJ71P7FH0ZSH )

Eminence Front (http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1DGXD1TME9DAB21MUA8H98WM69)

The Seeker (http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1LO1N13HWQJSW3H3GUJMUQNC4T)

The Relay (http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2RKSJX24Z19JD1KXF0C4D3X5Q4)

Other suggested downloads: A Quick One, Rael, Amazing Journey/Sparks, The Acid Queen, The Underture, We’re Not Gonna Take It, Behind Blue Eyes, Bargain, 5:15, The Seeker, Naked Eye, Pure and Easy, Join Together, Eminence Front.
Key Albums: Tommy, Live at Leeds, Who’s Next .

Canadian-Guy
05-29-2005, 11:21 PM
*claps slowly*

Great F.A., man, these things are always a good read. I like the uploads, thanks a bunch:).

BlackDeathMetalJazz or really ANYTHING else please-
05-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Great FA Lunch. I'll download all of these too. :thumb:

JohnXDoe
05-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks for that. The Who are without doubt the best band ever. And of course I say that as thier biggest fan. The only stuff I've never really liked from them are Townshends lesser tracks on It's Hard, the overly synth heavy tracks on Who Are You, and until recently just about the whole of Tommy. Which I always thought was a bit silly and pretentious. But my perspective has changed as of late regarding that one.

And while it's true The Who did fizzle toward the end of thier initial run, I always think it's worth mentioning Townshends early eighties solo efforts Empty Glass and All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes. Whereas Face Dances came up a bit short and It's Hard simply sounded like leftovers, these two solo albums from Townshend are IMO as powerful as anything The Who had done since Who's Next. And indeed are more "Who like" then even The Who were at that point. If it wasn't for the band's (Daltrey mostly) insistence that the song lyrics were "too personal" for The Who, many of them would of made it onto The Who's final two albums and the band could of gone out with a bang instead of a whimper.

All that said, I think The Who today are nearly as good as they've ever been and I'm looking forward to the new record. Hopefully Townshend still has something worthwhile to say, and while Entwistle is sorely missed I think they can give it a go without him. I'm hoping for the best :thumb:

ledpoisoning27
05-30-2005, 01:03 AM
This is the best FA I have ever seen. Great job Lunch. :thumb:

Dragon_Prince
05-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Very very good FA :)

Six Foot Revolver
05-30-2005, 01:53 AM
Nice work Lunchy boy :thumb:

Apocalyptic Raids
05-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Niiice work. Very lengthy, which is a good thing.

Riva
05-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Great work, lunch my boy. Have you requested this as a sticky yet?

highwaychild377
05-30-2005, 02:14 AM
extremely good job, especially with the focus on each members' roles in the band. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

StreetlightRock
05-30-2005, 02:49 AM
Goddam, THAT is one heck of an FA, awsome awsome awsome!

DVG.

Wintermute
05-30-2005, 02:50 AM
Great work! I'd download them all if I didn't already have them all :thumb:

Thor
05-30-2005, 08:44 AM
This is very impressive, one of the best FA's I have ever seen. Keep up the good work.

BassMasterMike88
05-30-2005, 10:19 AM
BRAVO!, i actauly learned somthing on a day off, you left out the thing about Townshends "windmill" guitar playing style but thats pretty trival. This is one of the better FA's, you my friend get a gold star. :thumb:

trev913
05-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Definitely one of the most encompasing FAs I've seen. Good job.

Badmoon
05-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Very good job Lunch.

I especially like how you didn't half-*** it and only write a recommendation list and maybe a few comments; an extensive history is appreciated.

lunch998
05-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Very good job Lunch.

I especially like how you didn't half-*** it and only right a recommendation list and maybe a few comments; an extensive history is appreciated.

Hey man, this is The Who were talking about here. I couldn't cut them short.

Thanks to everyone for reading it :thumb:

ledhed1
05-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Awesome FA
One of the best i've seen

RiceMonster
05-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Nice work Lunch. I don't know anyone who knows more about The Who than you do. :thumb:

Arucard
05-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Awesome. As a point, Rush's cover of 'The Seeker' is great.

Mellotron
05-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Wow, great FA, great reading man, thanks for the uploads as well. Is it me or do Thw Who have the greatest intros in songs ever, Baba O' Riley, We Don't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard?

TojesDolan
05-30-2005, 03:56 PM
What 88 fingers is right. I have that EP by Rush.

By the way, Mr. Lunch, amazing work. I didn't read it fully, but I might read it sometime soon. :thumb:

Broken Arrow
05-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Where have I read this before......;)

Anyways great job again.

Britton
05-30-2005, 06:17 PM
okay great work but come on people moon was a fantastic drummer rog and dalt were
good but face it pete is a average guitarist and Hendrix always upstaged the who
as far as them being the best band ever forget about it its the beatles or Led zeppelin
page was better than pete bonham was better then moon and robert well nvm but you get hte point They were a very good band but not the best

Britton
05-30-2005, 06:19 PM
and if you want evidence of this look at the dvds they both performed at the same venues [woodstock isle of wight] these are avaiable and you can see fot yourself

Great band never the less

drugstore cowboy
05-30-2005, 06:47 PM
:chug: Cheers! A great band deserves a great review, and you did the Who justice with this FA. And that's a hard thing to do. You've done more than Kenny Jones every could...Good work

JohnXDoe
05-30-2005, 09:20 PM
okay great work but come on people moon was a fantastic drummer rog and dalt were
good but face it pete is a average guitarist and Hendrix always upstaged the who
as far as them being the best band ever forget about it its the beatles or Led zeppelin
page was better than pete bonham was better then moon and robert well nvm but you get hte point They were a very good band but not the best

Give me a fucking break. How good a band is has not as much to do with how expertly the members play thier respective instruments so much as how well the respective members play together. And so far as Page being a better guitarist then Townshend? Let's just say that Townshend did and still does what he does a hell of a lot better then Page has ever done what he does. Which much of his career has simply been doing a poor imitation of himself. And then of course thier is that little thing called songwriting. Townshend = Brillant. Page/Plant equal second rate blues and mystic bullshit. Not even close. If it were a fight Townshend would finish those two hacks off with a severe butt rape.

So far as Bonham being a better drummer then Moon? Your fucking deaf, dumb and blind!

Jacaranda
05-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Beautiful read! Very interesting. In my opinion the Who are the greatest band.

RiceMonster
05-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Where have I read this before......;)

Anyways great job again.
As have I. :)

CaptainWaits
05-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Yes great job Lunch.....once again!

MalcolmYoungRock
05-30-2005, 11:07 PM
He developed an interesting concept and a complex plot

And confusing.

Anyway, I have long been anticipating this FA from you Lunch, and you didn't let me down.

*Achilles brother secret handshake*

BludgeonySteve
05-30-2005, 11:30 PM
**** that was long :eek:. I love the who, you love the who. The who

who the like who

yeah

ultimaterocker
05-30-2005, 11:40 PM
absolute brilliant f.a great work! the who are sweet ***. baba o riley is one of my favorites.

Seafroggys
05-31-2005, 12:22 AM

Okay, not saying Zeppelin is bad but....

Townshend/Page: Okay, Page might have been a better soloist, but Pete kicks *** at rhythm, AND is a much better songwriter, no doubt.

Daltry/Plant: Daltry is definitally the better singer. He has a better voice and a bigger range. Plant couldn't sing softly really well.

Entwistle/JPJ: Okay, obvious. Entwistle is probably the best bass player of all time.

Moon/Bonham: Bonham was good, yes....but MOON! Holy crap, he's the coolest drummer ever! This is coming from a drummer mind you. Yeah, there's plenty out there who are way more skilled, but his style is what makes it kick ***. Style>skill.

Keith Moon alone makes the Who better.

PinkFreud
05-31-2005, 12:24 AM
nice job.

dont forget to push entwistle through in the bass polls people.

StreetlightRock
05-31-2005, 03:26 AM
bonham was better then moon

Zepp is my all time fav band... but seriously.... Moons Drumming is SO much cooler than Bonham.

DVG.

magicbus
05-31-2005, 09:58 AM
Excellent job, all the way through. It was a very entertaing read :thumb:

Everyone download Magic Bus!

robo2448
05-31-2005, 10:32 AM

why don't we stick to the topic about THE WHO, not Zeppelin. Does every single thread on this board have to turn into a Zeppelin debate?

Anyways, great job Lunch. I've always meant to ask this, that line underneath your username is from However Much I Booze right?

You should have mentioned that when you were talking about The Who By the Numbers. Glad you mentioned How Many Friends though- most underrated song the Who ever recorded.

lunch998
05-31-2005, 02:47 PM
No, it's from Slip Kid. Still Who By the Numbers though.
*Achilles brother secret handshake*
*Secret Handshakes back*

LedZeppFan83
05-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Zepp is my all time fav band... but seriously.... Moons Drumming is SO much cooler than Bonham.

DVG.

- Led Zeppelin is my favorite band too, and yes, i love The Who. But Bonham's dumming skills are alot better than Moon's. Have you seen the solo on "The Song Remains The Same" DVD when they played in Madison Square Gardens in 1976? Now tell me if Moon's drumming can beat that solo.

lunch998
05-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Have you heard Live at Leeds? Seen the Isle of Wight Dvd? Seen any footage of Moon play? I love Bonham too, and I'm not saying he wasn't great, but Moon's drumming was on a plane much different from any other rock drummers of the time.

Robo: Yea and they are tracks are #1 and 2 I believe, so it's easy to get them mixed up.

robo2448
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Moon wasn't about soloing. He just hit everything in sight. :cool:

/ends Bonham/ Moon debate forever

I haven't listened to The Who By the Numbers for a while. I was close. However Much I Booze is "there ain't no way out."

rockinbass17
05-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Great FA to my favorite band. I like how you desribed every album in detail.
I have every one except My Generation- must get soon.

JohnXDoe
05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Would all my fellow Who fans please stop calling it The Who ByThe Numbers! It's The Who By Numbers, plain and simple. And it's the most underatted Who album, IMO. Most likely because it came on the heels of three classics. Dreaming from the Waist, However Much I Booze, How Many Friends Have I Really Got, Success Story. All those tracks are steller. And that's not to mention the better known tracks. I think my favorite is The Blue , Red and Gray. When I'm an old man I'll be somewhere on a boat, enjoying life and kicking it in my lounge chair, humming right along with that one.

So far as who are better musicians and from what groups and what not, it really doesn't matter. Bands like The Who have long shown Rock n Roll is more about heart, soul, and balls then being the best or better musician. If musicianship came into play, I can name literally hundreds of crappy bands with really good musicians in them. Probably most of them. Gimme Townshend and Moon over just about anyone, any day. Because when they play, I can feel it. In all the right places :thumb:

TheSeeker625
05-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Great Job!
My username is a reference to the song "The Seeker."

Brewer14
05-31-2005, 06:12 PM
That was awesome

If anyone could upload Behind Blue Eyes, I'd appreciate it. Every version I find is by limp bizkit

jmoney
05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
The Who is my favorite band. Keith Moon is my hero. I thought you should all know that

robo2448
05-31-2005, 07:15 PM
That's great, thanks.

JohnXDoe
05-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Here's a link for all those who are unaware of this site:

http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/

It's got a great section called "Who TV" that has hours of Who and Who related video played in a loop. Bootleg stuff, old TV tapings, rare concert footage and videos, solo stuff from all the band members. I just saw an 8 minute drum solo from Kieth Moon that had little black kids dancing in the aisles and teenage girls wetting thier panties! It was from an old radio broadcast. Good stuff :thumb:

Just click the Who TV button in the upper right corner on the first page of the site, and the video will begin wherever it may be. Thier is also video and photos of The Who's more recent performances in the members only "The Who" section of the site.

David Bowie
05-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Amazing FA!
The Who are great for sure!

rockinbass17
05-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Here's a link for all those who are unaware of this site:

Many thanks! :thumb:

Townshend forgot the lyrics in the first chorus of the acoustic Won't Get Fooled Again :eek:

But the Naked Eye performance made my day!!!

Leper
06-01-2005, 12:49 AM
Nicely done Lunch, very extensive and in-depth, that's what we all like to see :thumb:..and I quote "Any thing worth doin' is worth doin' right." Tom Hanks-A League of Their Own.

StreetlightRock
06-01-2005, 03:43 AM
Now tell me if Moon's drumming can beat that solo

Yesh, but im talking about GROOOooove and funk in the songs themselves, the "Listen to me GOOOo!!" value of Moons drumming is better than Bonham, IMO.

DVG.

JohnXDoe
06-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Yesh, but im talking about GROOOooove and funk in the songs themselves, the "Listen to me GOOOo!!" value of Moons drumming is better than Bonham, IMO.

DVG.

True. And Moon never solo'd in The Who because soloing is not what The Who were about. On Who TV at the link I posted earlier thier is a Moon solo performance that really shows well his rythmic drumming style, as you see people in the audience actually grooving to it, for lack of a better term. And it's impressive technically, as well.

lunch998
06-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Moon never gets credit for any techical ability in his drumming, but the drumming to Amazing Journey and Sparks is really complicated at parts, especially the timing. And he's got a great touch, being seemingly all over the set but never ruining the song.

JohnXDoe
06-01-2005, 04:50 PM
The Who at Woodstock: Exerpted from the Dave Marsh Who Biography "Before I Get Old"

"We were more arrogant then nervous before we went on," said Townshend. Pissed off is more like it. Backstage, everything from the Coca-Cola to the coffee was spiked with acid and the band had been flat out tripping against it's will for twelve hours.

When The Who finally took the stage, it was jammed with photographers and the camera crew from the movie Michael Wadleigh was making of the weekends events. Townshend kicked the first camera man he saw (it happened to be Wadleigh, though Pete didn't know it) into the photographers pit, a good ten foot drop. The others scattered like moneychangers from the temple.

The Who were playing Pinball Wizard when Abbie Hoffman, the Yippie provocateur, took the stage and seized a microphone. Hoffman was crazed on LSD and had decided that he must make a speech protesting the ten year sentence of his crony, the White Panther Party leader John Sinclair, for charges of possessing two joints of marijuana. "I think this is a pile of shit while John Sinclair rots in prison," Hoffman shouted into the microphone.

That was as far as he got. Townshend put one of his Dr. Marten boots squarely into Hoffman's ass, swatted him with his Gibson SG and, as the Yippie fell into the photographers pit, played on. Hoffman screamed unheard curses into the gale of the music, then ran over a hill and out of sight, clear back to Manhattan. Townshend later described kicking Abbie's ass as "the most political thing I ever did."

The Who played a ragged set, everybody fighting against the drugs, lack of sleep and thier anger that they had been put into such an absurd position in the first place. But as they were finishing, with "We're Not Gonna Take It," Roger's last cries of "See me, feel me, touch me, heal me" echoing over the hills, the sun burst up over the horizon, dazzling the crowd. "It was just incredible," Townshend said. "I really felt we didn't deserve it, in a way." But even if it was a lousy show by The Who's high standards--Daltrey called it "the worst gig we ever played"--it was legendary in the morning.

I love that story :thumb:

JohnXDoe
06-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Excerpted from Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend. By Tony Fletcher.

That Kieth Moon was the perfect drummer for The Who has never been questioned. Until he joined them The Who had ambition, they had some kind of vision, they had a sizable amount of talent, but the machine was missing an engine. In the Truly Great Band, the sum is always worth more then it's individual parts. But in The Who's case, one is left wondering just how much less than a great band they were before Kieth joined. Half? A quarter? His addition certainly made for an exponential, not equivalent, improvement, and it ought to go without saying The Who could of never become The Who of legend without Kieth Moon, just as the drummer could of never become the Kieth Moon of legend without The Who. The two entities just didn't need each other, they belonged to each other.

LedZeppelin173
06-03-2005, 11:00 AM
awesome FA lunch. i was listening to quadrophenia last night on vynal, and its really great. a very detailed FA, nicely done. im actually listening to who's next right now, getting in tune. one of the best albums EVER IMO. :thumb:

JohnXDoe
06-03-2005, 01:40 PM
awesome FA lunch. i was listening to quadrophenia last night on vynal, and its really great. a very detailed FA, nicely done. im actually listening to who's next right now, getting in tune. one of the best albums EVER IMO. :thumb:

Quadrophenia on vinyl is heaven on earth. I have an old Japanese Sony label import copy and much prefer it over my CD/Digital copies. The sound really comes through full force.

PinkFreud
06-03-2005, 02:29 PM
have you guys seen their royal albert hall performance from 2001? johns best bass playing ever.

JohnXDoe
06-03-2005, 05:30 PM
have you guys seen their royal albert hall performance from 2001? johns best bass playing ever.

I have that on DVD. It's a good show. And the CD has some bonus tracks. The crowd was a bit lackluster, but perhaps that's because of the event being at RAH and for charity and all. And of course the guest performers. I especially like Paul Wellers bit and Eddie Vedder on Let's See Action. Also Noel Gallagher on guitar for Won't Get Fooled Again. Bryan Adams singing Behind Blue Eyes has me raising my brow a bit, though. And Vedder sounds tight on I'm One. Townshends solo bit is a real highlight for me.

Also check out Live in Boston if you haven't already. No Entwhistle, but Pete does his best to make up for the loss as he plays really aggressively. And brother Simon does an admirable job of filling the space left by John with his rythmn guitar playing. It's a different Who, but still The Who in all thier explosiveness. And Pino Paladino does a servicable enough job on bass.

Anyone have word on a release date for The Who2 album? Are they recording yet? I'm looking forward to it.

robo2448
06-03-2005, 05:44 PM
I know they are in the studio, don't know an official date yet though.

eghed
06-03-2005, 06:31 PM
The Who are the second greatest band of all time behind the Beatles. I love them, and Keith Moon is the greatest drummer ever.

ledpoisoning27
06-04-2005, 01:13 AM
and if you want evidence of this look at the dvds they both performed at the same venues [woodstock isle of wight] these are avaiable and you can see fot yourself

Great band never the less
Led Zeppelin didn't perform at either of those.

Macdaddy
06-04-2005, 03:38 AM
Awesome man. I read all of it. Should have talked bout their gig at Woodstock more. Didn't they gone on before Jimi Hendrix and played best set ever trying to outdo him? Or so ive heard

JohnXDoe
06-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Awesome man. I read all of it. Should have talked bout their gig at Woodstock more. Didn't they gone on before Jimi Hendrix and played best set ever trying to outdo him? Or so ive heard

That was actually at the Monterey Pop Festival. Jimi had been burning his guitar from time to time and as the story goes Pete heard rumor that he also planned to smash it at the festival. So apparently Pete confronted him backstage about stealing The Who's act and Jimi told him where to get off. Pete was a huge Jimi fan at the time and was hurt enough by this to lead the band in a very aggressive set out of anger and insult. Jimi came on and burned his guitar, but apparently did not smash it, as The Who had left the stage in shambles earlier and Jimi knew he couldn't match that display. Although Jimi did in future performances take to shoving his guitar neck through his amp screens and doing a bit of smashing up himself.

If you want to know a bit more about Woodstock and The Who, I posted an excerpt from a book about it above.

White_heat
06-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Pete was not an average guitarist, he was incredibly creative, i dont think your averge joe can innovate and write songs as good as his.

Another thing, you cant go around labeling "best bands ever" but the who where very innovative and influential, more than zeppelin, maybe not the beatles.

Bonham was in no way better than moon, bonham is highly overrated, he will never compare to moon's thundering, dinamic drumming

Uberman
06-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by JohnXDoe
The Who were playing Pinball Wizard when Abbie Hoffman, the Yippie provocateur, took the stage and seized a microphone. Hoffman was crazed on LSD and had decided that he must make a speech protesting the ten year sentence of his crony, the White Panther Party leader John Sinclair, for charges of possessing two joints of marijuana. "I think this is a pile of **** while John Sinclair rots in prison," Hoffman shouted into the microphone.

That was as far as he got. Townshend put one of his Dr. Marten boots squarely into Hoffman's ***, swatted him with his Gibson SG and, as the Yippie fell into the photographers pit, played on. Hoffman screamed unheard curses into the gale of the music, then ran over a hill and out of sight, clear back to Manhattan. Townshend later described kicking Abbie's *** as "the most political thing I ever did."

But Townshend did later say that he agreed with Hoffman. He was just pissed at being interrupted.

appreciate_it
06-04-2005, 08:55 PM
great work lunch. brilliant. it helps that the who are my favourite band.

mick7
06-05-2005, 12:08 AM
good work lunch the who are excellent and its good that some people are finally agreeing with the masses!!!

p.s. baba 'o riley = best who song ever!

Quagmire 222
06-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Baba O Riley Live off of The Kids Are Alright.....gives you goosebumps.

JohnXDoe
06-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Baba O Riley Live off of The Kids Are Alright.....gives you goosebumps.

I tihnk that's the best live version I've ever heard. Although I'm sure thier are some good bootlegs out there. Thier is also a great version on the benefit album "Concerts for the People of Kampuchea" (hope I spelled that right). The Who have four songs on the album and I think perhaps more on a later edition of it.

Speaking of bootlegs, is thier anyone here who has any bootlegs or knowledge of where to get some good ones of the band in concert? I would think with all the shows they've done over the years thier must be some worthy ones circulating.

robo2448
06-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Daltrey's scream on Won't Get Fooled Again- best moment in music ever. In fact Won't Get Fooled Again on The Kids Are Alright is just ****ing amazing.

rushfan3
06-05-2005, 11:49 AM
the who kick ***

JohnXDoe
06-05-2005, 06:46 PM
But Townshend did later say that he agreed with Hoffman. He was just pissed at being interrupted.

Yeah. Pete has always been a guy of great conscience. I think that's one of the main things that attracts me to his songwriting. I do remember hearing an archived interview with him where he did express regret at handling that situation the way he did, and said he was sorry for it.

But Abbie deserved it nonetheless :smash:

ledpoisoning27
06-05-2005, 10:49 PM
I was watching an interview of Townshend on the Isle of Wright Dvd, and he was says that he always wanted out of the band. If he wanted out he should have just left and broken up the band after Moon died, atleast they would have gone out with a bang instead of fading away like they did.

JohnXDoe
06-07-2005, 03:11 PM
No one has posted here in the past couple of days and I would hate to see this thread die. So I'm posting another exerpt from the Dave Marsh Who biography "Before I Get Old'. I hope whoever comes by enjoys it and I would like to say I disagree with the very first sentence of this passage, as I think Quadrophenia is the greatest rock album ever. So here goes:

Quadrophenia is not a great rock album (though it has great moments). But it is a marvavelous piece of social criticism, trying to place the public and private history of the 1960's into a context from which something more productive can be built. Townshend understood the sixties, even as they were going on, as both a Golden Decade and a Giant Drag. On Quadrophenia he investigates failure without denying it's success, a perspective that had eluded other scholors of the period.

The Rolling Stones could avoid these issues, because ambiguity and irony were there stock and trade; The Beatles didn't have to deal with them because The Beatles had broken up; Bob Dylan retreated from such subjects by indulgiing himself in pastorialism and domesticity, which implied that everything had been a hoax; The Kinks were never engaged in a way that allowed them to make broad comments, and anyway, Ray Davies was nostalgic from the start. There was nothing the least bit incongruous to him about looking over ones shoulder at the pop past.

But The Who were moralists. From the very beginning, they assumed the duty of describing what was right and wrong with the world that rock inhabited and helped create. That's what Townshend meant when he said of Quadrophenia, "It could of been written in a simple song like My Generation, if I could still write a song like My generation in 1973". In a way, Quadrophenia is that song ---- or proof that no one could write it, since the topics Townshend wanted to write about were now too diffuse, complex and contradictory to allow moralistic resolutions. But nothing could stop him from trying.

"There's an incredible set of paradoxes surrounding the whole generation," Pete said. "At one moment they can go on a Ban the Bomb march, and the next moment they're pouring LSD into thier heads. We'd stood onstage and watched it go past in the audience. It's an observation made from the stage, as if we were in a cage. You're being looked at, but you're also in the position of observation".

"However far down we go as individuals," Townshend wrote of Quadrophenia, "there will always be rent to pay, so always an audience. When there's an audience, there's salvation. Mixed up in Quadrophenia is a study of the devine desperation that is at the root of every punks scream for blood and vengeance".

What have I seen, where have I been? Nothing is planned by the sea and the sand - PT

eghed
06-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Pete was not an average guitarist, he was incredibly creative, i dont think your averge joe can innovate and write songs as good as his.

Another thing, you cant go around labeling "best bands ever" but the who where very innovative and influential, more than zeppelin, maybe not the beatles.

Bonham was in no way better than moon, bonham is highly overrated, he will never compare to moon's thundering, dinamic drumming

I totally agree. I really like Pete's guitar playing, he's one of my favorites

JohnXDoe
06-08-2005, 09:05 PM
I was just having a listen to one of Pete's early 80's solo albums and it occured to me how brillant these albums are. As it always does. For me these albums, although not Who albums, seal The Who's greatness in Rock history. Far superior to The Who's final two albums, these albums from the man himself and released at around the same general time as Face Dances and It's Hard, are what The Who should of and could of been at the time. If you are unfamiliar with them they are Empty Glass and All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes, respectively. If you want to check out some tracks I have compiled a list of suggested tracks to download, as follows:

From Empty Glass:

Rough Boys
A Little Is Enough
Let My Love Open The Door
Jools And Jim
Empty Glass
Cat's In The Cup Board
Gonna Get 'YA

From All The Best Cowboys Have Chinene Eyes:

Stop Hurting People
The Sea Rufuses No River
Face Dances Part Two
Exquisitly Bored
Stardom In Acton
Slit Skirts
Somebody Saved Me

Also worth mentioning is his 1985 solo album White City. It's very good. Suggested tracks:

Give Blood
Brillant Blues
White City Fighting
Hiding Out
Secondhand Love

These songs would of been awesome in the hands of The Who and it was an opportunity missed, as they rejected some and Townshend held back others. They certainly would of done wonders for Face Dances and It's Hard. Although I am fond of Face Dances as it is. Enjoy.

I asked Bobby Dylan/ I asked The Beatles/I asked Timothy Leary/But he couldn't tell me either. - PT from The Seeker

Mr. Black
06-10-2005, 03:56 PM
The Who are great, especially magic bus and Pinball wizard but MY GENERATION is best

Drjimmy
06-10-2005, 09:31 PM
As a huge Who fan (my name gives it away), I'm very excited about this thread. Great job!

JohnXDoe
06-10-2005, 09:41 PM
As a huge Who fan (my name gives it away), I'm very excited about this thread. Great job!

Great. Because this thread can use some support. I would like to see this thread survive until the Who2 album is released. That's why I post book excerpts and recommendations from time to time to keep it circulating. Some other bands have some real stong threads on these boards, and I would like to see this one keep up for both old and new fans alike. I didn't create the thread, Lunch did with his incredible F.A. And that read alone is worth keeping this thread alive and well for. So welcome to The Who thread and feel free to visit and post your thoughts concerning the band whenever the mood strikes you.

lunch998
06-10-2005, 11:21 PM
The quote you posted from The Seeker previously is one I use as an away message on AIM often. I really like it.

Who threads in the past usually consist of a page or two or people saying they love them, and then the thread dies. I wanted to hopefully start a bit of a longer lasting one by doing an F.A.

Also right now, this thread is stickied so it will be at the top of the boards. But in a few days a new F.A. will be up, so this one will no longer be stickied.

Foxymophandlemama
06-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Out here in the fields... I fight for my meals...

Great stuff.

lunch998
06-11-2005, 09:06 AM
you left out the thing about Townshends "windmill" guitar playing style but thats pretty trival.
I mentioned it in the beginning, but never went into any detail about it.
Should have talked bout their gig at Woodstock more
They had a pretty disappointing show at Woodstock, except for the "See Me, Feel Me" climax.
p.s. baba 'o riley = best who song ever!
One part of it is absolutely amazing to me still, after they break for Townshend's short solo vocal part ("Don't cry..."). Moon comes back in and then when they hit the next chord is fantastic. I wouldn't call it their best though.

ledpoisoning27
06-11-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't really like the Who's music after Keith Moon died. As I am a drummer.

robo2448
06-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Even the most dedicated Who fans, like me don't like a lot of The Who's stuff after Moon died. Eminence Front is great though.

JohnXDoe
06-11-2005, 05:20 PM
I don't really like the Who's music after Keith Moon died. As I am a drummer.

Yup. That did change things. Although who knows if he would of made that big a difference to The Who any longer even if he had lived? His drumming on Who Are You is subpar for him, and Pete was already starting to drift. Guess we will never know for sure what impact he could of continued having. I'm hoping for the best from Who2. Even if it can't be real original anymore. And Zak Starkey behind the kit serves me just fine. But then again, I'm not a drummer.

robo2448
06-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Zak Starkey is good. Moon's drumming was certainly declining, but he still beats Kenny Jones, and Who Are You is better than Face Dances or It's Hard IMO.

Woodstock
06-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Zak Starkey is good. Moon's drumming was certainly declining, but he still beats Kenny Jones, and Who Are You is better than Face Dances or It's Hard IMO.
Zak Starkey is fantastic. I've seen him in live shows, he does a great job.

JohnXDoe
06-11-2005, 05:44 PM

Certainly better than It's Hard. But something about the stripped down sound of Face Dances really appeals to me.. Besides It's Hard, Who Are You is actually my least favorite 70's - 80's Who album. Not because of the songs or overall production, but because of the heavy synths used. Not the first time The Who used 'em, of course. Before that they had used them to great effect. But some songs on Who Are You are simply awash in them. Ruins it for me. And It's Hard is half horrible, half good, to my ears. That's why I always refer to Townshends first two solo albums, which I feel are superior to The Who's final three albums. Including Who Are You.

Seafroggys
06-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Who are You is definitally the most dissapointing album I had ever recieved (even if it was a gift that *I* asked for). Obviously I got it for Who are You, which is still a killer song. But I had heard my dad's LP and disliked it. Then several months later I still wanted it for my birthday :rolleyes: don't know what went through my head. I never listen to it or the mp3s (except for Who are You, naturally), except I do like the synth intro to 905.

JohnXDoe
06-11-2005, 11:47 PM
^ Yeah, 905 is a song where I feel they got it right. Because at least the synths feel integrated. On New Song, Had Enough, and Sister Disco, they just sound thrown over the top of everything. And Love Comes Down is just filler, basically. So when you consider that and the fact that the album is just 9 songs long, overall the album just doesn't work for me. I just feel it could've been better. Eh, just my opinion.

:wave:

Drjimmy
06-11-2005, 11:50 PM
The Who By Numbers is underrated. It's the last great Who album.

Who Are you, Face Dances and It's Hard are each fairly lame in different ways. The songs are generally weaker, the production is cheesy and unimaginitive, and the musicianship is often boring.

Who Are You

Even though the synth sound on Who Are You bugs me, I still kind of like "New Song" "905" "Sister Disco" and, of course, "Who Are You," which is such a wonderfully odd song. It's so unique and different from the rest of the album (especially in its unconventional structure) that its very existence feels like a gift. I feel the same way about "Eminence Front"

Moon's drumming is lumbering and pathetic throughout the album (and the drums were recorded and mixed to sound way too big and heavy). As reported, Moon clearly wasn't in good shape. It's sad. Especially during "Music Must Change" whose 6/8 time signature proved too much for Moon. Townshend ended up recording his own squeaky footsteps for the beat.

Face Dances

Weak. "Don't Let Go the Coat" is a real lowpoint for the band. "Cache Cache" is silly as hell. I can't believe Roger is actually singing, "there ain't no bears in there" over and over.

"You Better You Bet" and "Another Tricky Day" are all right, but my surprise favorite is "Daily Records" which I find irresistibly fun. Kenney Jones' drumming is workmanlike but so uninspiring. And the production of the album is so boring. I really hate Townshend's guitar sound and the drum sound. By this time, The Who had definitely fallen behind the times when it came to production. Even Townshend's solo albums, which were recorded around the same time (and which I love), have lame production. On White City, Townshend started paying more attention to the "sound" of his albums and I think to great success. If only he had done it earlier.

It's Hard

Ugh, I hate this album except for two songs. "Eminence Front" turned out to be the best song the Who recorded since "Who Are You" and arguably one of their 10 best songs ever. What a surprise, especially considering the simple structure of the song. There's no intricate melody here, just a long cool groove, and somehow it works. And who knew it would become so well-known? Even if people don't know who recorded the song, they are usually vaguely familiar with it.

My other favorite is "Cry if You Want." I love the guitar break at the end, although, again, I hate the thin sound Townshend chose for his guitar.

But, man, I wish they could just take back this album and record a different one. I also wonder what would have happened if Townshend gave the band his best songs. "Rough Boys" played by the whole band could have really kicked ***.

ledpoisoning27
06-12-2005, 12:00 AM
The Who By Numbers is underrated. It's the last great Who album.
Its one of their most odd ones too, with all of them writing very odd and funny songs. By the Way, is that Entwistle on vocals on Boris the Spider?

Drjimmy
06-12-2005, 12:04 AM
By the Way, is that Entwistle on vocals on Boris the Spider?

Yes! It's an Entwistle song.

JohnXDoe
06-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Its one of their most odd ones too, with all of them writing very odd and funny songs. By the Way, is that Entwistle on vocals on Boris the Spider?

Yup. It's his signature tune, of sorts. Entwhistle was a cool guy. And he wrote some pretty quirky tunes in his day. I guess eccentric would describe him.

JohnXDoe
06-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Hey, this thread has passed 100 posts :thumb:

LONG LIVE ROCK!

And The Who, of course :chug:

Drjimmy
06-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Its one of their most odd ones too, with all of them writing very odd and funny songs.

are you sure you're talking about The Who By Numbers?

or do you mean A Quick One?

lunch998
06-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Yup. It's his signature tune, of sorts. Entwhistle was a cool guy. And he wrote some pretty quirky tunes in his day. I guess eccentric would describe him.

I've always liked Whiskey Man, don't know why.

robo2448
06-12-2005, 11:24 AM
are you sure you're talking about The Who By Numbers?

or do you mean A Quick One?

Yea, pretty big difference there, A Quick One is there 2nd album while The Who By Numbers is their 2nd to last full album together. The Who By Numbers also has some quirky songs but nothing like Boris the Spider. I love By Numbers, possibly as much or more than Who's Next, but not quite as much as Live At Leeds or Tommy.

lunch998
06-12-2005, 11:30 AM
A Quick One also has Cobwebs and Strange, Heat Wave, etc. In terms of weird songs.

robo2448
06-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Yea A Quick One and The Who Sell Out are really weird, and really funny.

JohnXDoe
06-12-2005, 11:42 AM
And let's not forget the throw together Odd's and Sod's. Now I'm A Farmer is quirky as hell! This was actually the album where as a kid I first became aquainted with The Who.

lunch998
06-12-2005, 11:43 AM
I grew up with A Quick One and The Who Sell Out, those were my dad's favorites.

JohnXDoe
06-12-2005, 12:08 PM
I grew up with A Quick One and The Who Sell Out, those were my dad's favorites.

Yup. I really like there pre-Tommy albums. After Odds & Sods I went the Tommy-Who's Next-Quadroprenia route. Then Townshends early eighties solo stuff. But the early stuff is essential to understand where the band came from and how they evolved. I think the soul of the band lies within' the early stuff. The Who really were part of there audience, not above it. And I think they remained that way, or at least tried to, throughout the years. Which is part of there appeal. I have a picture book of sorts that shows them as The Detours, High Numbers, and The Who way back in the day, dancing in the clubs and carrying on and what not. The Who as hipsters. Cracks me up.

The communication with the audience The Who have is refreshing. I read a review of the Live in Boston DVD where the reviewer criticized Townshend for telling the audience to shut up at one point and **** off at another. He thought Townshend was insulting them. Called him grouchy and confrontational. Obviously this person is not at all familiar with Townshend or The Who!

lunch998
06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Their first album definitely shows them as part of their audience, even though it doesn't have most of their mod pop on it.

eghed
06-14-2005, 10:04 AM
I mentioned it in the beginning, but never went into any detail about it.

They had a pretty disappointing show at Woodstock, except for the "See Me, Feel Me" climax.

One part of it is absolutely amazing to me still, after they break for Townshend's short solo vocal part ("Don't cry..."). Moon comes back in and then when they hit the next chord is fantastic. I wouldn't call it their best though.

I don't agree that it was disappointing except for See me Feel Me. I really love Sparks, it's my favorite version of that song. and Pinball Wizard was also very good.

eghed
06-14-2005, 10:14 AM

I really like Boris the Spider and Whiskey Man off of A Quick One. Definitely two of the best songs on that album.

Riva
06-15-2005, 12:16 AM
lunch, do you have AIM or MSN? If so, could you please email your contact details to me? I think you know the address.

vana_jonesy
06-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Ooooh... the Who! I love Heaven and Hell... the Isle of Wight version is ****in' great. I love Entwistle's voice... not that Rog is chopped liver. Actually, John's songs are most of my faves... Boris is great, and My Wife is one of my favorites from WN.

Ox was funn-eh.

wanderer
06-15-2005, 03:29 PM
I personally like all Who albums almost equally altough I like some songs better
as Townhend demos (Townshend was/is better singer to than Roger)
I like the pop tunes (like during Face Dances and solo era), funny/ridiculous,
the serious,rock,acoustic ....... :). I'm propably more "Townshend music" than "Who" fan...

Also they are making new a Who movie:

http://www.thewhomovie.com/index.php

Complately moronic idea, I tihnk. There was no need for any kind documentary carbage.There's already TKAA. That film maker can never come even close to it.It seem that his trying to do that...

They should have just released 'The Who Maximum R & B..' kind of video. Just music.

Even more ridiculous is that this movie will also have separate disc
that has full songs from shows ?. They are from 1969 Coliseum and 1977 Kilburn shows.
Coliseum is great to have but why the hell would they include 1977 Kilburn when they surely have already inbetter material in hands and materail that's otut here if they would look for it.

Kilburn show was beyond **** gig. They hadn't rehearsed at all and Moon/Townshendwere wasted out of their minds.
Why the hell would they want to put that in there is beyond me.

Only reason I can see for including Kilburn show is that they haven't been really botheredto look for material and also haven't been willing buy to footage that is known to be in private hands

For example Daltrey bought 1964 ? footage from someone himself. So only
chance for getting that kind of material is if Roger wants to pay for it.
Townshend has said his isn't involded in this project in any way so he won't pay for anything. This is propably one bigreason why they included crappy show like Kilburn (plus they can'tn be bothred to look for any materail that might be out there like Sweden 1972, Saratoga 1971, One show from 1970, whole Paris 1972, 1979-1982 ? material etc.)

Is so sad that they cannot do things right..... of course this is nothing new
if you are a Who fan... hahahaha

lunch998
06-15-2005, 03:34 PM
lunch, do you have AIM or MSN? If so, could you please email your contact details to me? I think you know the address.

My AIM is Lunch998, I'll look for you to get on.

BillyBonebrake
06-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Is so sad that they cannot do things right..... of course this is nothing new
if you are a Who fan... hahahaha

This sounds okay to me, actually. Not quite as bad as you describe in your post, unless you have additional info your basing it on. Of most interest to me will be the recent activities of the band and the recording of the new album. As well as the Concerts For NY footage, which The Who absolutely owned. The Kilborn gig is also something I am looking forward to seeing, as it is really just before Moon's death. If it's the entire gig, I'm sure it will come across. However uneven it may of been.

Yes, it's been done before for The Who with TKAA and the excellent 30 Years of Maximum R&B set. Among other lesser titles. But this sounds pretty far reaching and I appreciate the fact that it's going to be fully up to date. Plus with the new album coming it may be a fresh perspective for older fans, and of course a brand new perspective for casual and newer fans. I'm hoping for the best from it.

wanderer
06-18-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm totally think that there's simple isnt any kind of need for any this documentary garbage. Like I said, they should have only released footage ... without any docu
bollocks.
Kilburn it's not uneven. It's horrendous.
You only need to listen the boot from that show once and you will never listen to it again.
Why on earth they would want to include that kind of crap.
I mean, I would understand it if there were no options but since there clearly
is, it makes even less sense. Why no put good performaces ?.
Every freaking show from 1979-1982 were better than Kilburn. They played ecxellent shows during that period and theres footage.

They interviewed rcently TKAA director (Jeff Stein) and apparently director of this new movie had contacted him to ask questions. Jeff Stein too was complately surprised that they would include Kilburn because it was so bad. Also to him the movie didn't sound very good.

Why it had to be so impossible to just give public video (live etc.) footage... ?

JohnXDoesn't
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
I took a personality disorder test on MX about an hour ago. These were my results:

Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: High
Schizotypal: Moderate
Antisocial: Moderate
Borderline: Moderate
Histrionic: Low
Narcissistic: Moderate
Avoidant: High
Dependent: Moderate
Obsessive-Compulsive: High

Afterward I was thinking about the results while listening to The Who, and a song from Quadrophenia came on. Which is my favorite album ever. And I thought about why I like the album so much? Then I went back to the test.

Quadrophenia my favorite album of all time? No wonder! :lol:

lunch998
06-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Yea, you are Quadrophenia.

JohnXDoesn't
06-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Yea, you are Quadrophenia.

Eh, not nearly as bad as the test results suggest. Damn yes and no questions!

At any rate, here is some bad news for Who fans if you don't already have it. From Pete's website and his own mouth. On the near future of The Who:

The new Who album has been delayed, not cancelled. The release date I had hoped for in the late spring or very early summer was whipped from under my nose after three years of writing. Shows we hoped to do in the early summer seemed to fizzle, and we lost our drummer to Oasis until January 2006. All alternatives proposed, and which I have desperately considered, do not fit in with my current commitments. I am committed to record the music for my new story The Boy Who Heard Music. I am also completing my autobiography later this year. Sadly, this forces a postponement of the planned Who activity this year for some indeterminate time.

I had lots of plans, but no hard schedule. And that is what has created this predicament. Itís probably my fault, because I work very slowly in the studio, and either no one believed I was actually recording, or they got tired of waiting. I should say that Roger has done what he calls sketch vocals on several tracks I produced, and the results are very exciting. But I feel I canít tour any more with the Who without a new record. So until that record is actually in my hands, I must hold my breath and live in hope.

On Murray Lerner's new film:

I have communicated with the line producers of the project and I am now satisfied that my privacy, and that of my friends and family will be properly respected.

That's all he said about the film. Doesn't sound too thrilled about it, as wanderer pointed out in his posts. The former is very disappointing news for this Who fan. :smash:

wanderer
06-22-2005, 09:32 AM
One more funny thing about Kilburn...
They play 'I'm Free' and Pete comments about it
'this wasn't worth filming. We'd better sent the camera men home'

robo2448
06-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Eh, not nearly as bad as the test results suggest. Damn yes and no questions!

At any rate, here is some bad news for Who fans if you don't already have it. From Pete's website and his own mouth. On the near future of The Who:

The new Who album has been delayed, not cancelled. The release date I had hoped for in the late spring or very early summer was whipped from under my nose after three years of writing. Shows we hoped to do in the early summer seemed to fizzle, and we lost our drummer to Oasis until January 2006. All alternatives proposed, and which I have desperately considered, do not fit in with my current commitments. I am committed to record the music for my new story The Boy Who Heard Music. I am also completing my autobiography later this year. Sadly, this forces a postponement of the planned Who activity this year for some indeterminate time.

I had lots of plans, but no hard schedule. And that is what has created this predicament. Itís probably my fault, because I work very slowly in the studio, and either no one believed I was actually recording, or they got tired of waiting. I should say that Roger has done what he calls sketch vocals on several tracks I produced, and the results are very exciting. But I feel I canít tour any more with the Who without a new record. So until that record is actually in my hands, I must hold my breath and live in hope.

On Murray Lerner's new film:

I have communicated with the line producers of the project and I am now satisfied that my privacy, and that of my friends and family will be properly respected.

That's all he said about the film. Doesn't sound too thrilled about it, as wanderer pointed out in his posts. The former is very disappointing news for this Who fan. :smash:

That really sucks, but I still have a feeling that it will be a really, really good album. I'm not sure why I'm so confident, but I just feel that they can still make good music.

edit w00t 700 posts :cool:

lunch998
06-22-2005, 11:03 PM
I'm still looking forward to the album and the movie, though I do have my doubts.

wanderer
06-23-2005, 02:14 AM
I hope (In fact it's most likely if he releases anythinhg) he releases album with him singing everything without Roger.
I like Pete "solo". Well I should be more specific, I usually like live/demo versions
better than studio versions. Pete solo stuff studio versions practically always suffer from bad overblown production. They always sound better as songs for example when he just performs then with acoustic on his own or live with a band. (like English Boy,Don't try to make me real)

wanderer
06-27-2005, 03:04 PM
http://img203.echo.cx/img203/9910/johnentwistle7yq.jpg

JohnXDoesn't
07-01-2005, 06:06 AM
I hope (In fact it's most likely if he releases anythinhg) he releases album with him singing everything without Roger.
I like Pete "solo". Well I should be more specific, I usually like live/demo versions
better than studio versions. Pete solo stuff studio versions practically always suffer from bad overblown production. They always sound better as songs for example when he just performs then with acoustic on his own or live with a band. (like English Boy,Don't try to make me real)

I must say I like Pete solo as well. But I still want to see and hear some new Who. And Roger has to sing for it to be The Who. So I'm all for it. If Pete has been writing for 3 years as he says he has they should have some good material. I really don't understand the hold up? I guess The Who isn't a priority for Pete. Which is fine. But not recording so he can finish these other projects is what he's been doing for years now. And The Who get forgotten. He says he doesn't want to tour without a new album, and thier drummer is tied up with Oasis until January? WTF? So that means no recording, much less an album. :angry: He says Roger has done "sketch" vocals. Great. I wish he would just get to work on the record. No album = No tour = No Who. And they aren't getting any younger.

Also since you seem to enjoy Pete so much I thought maybe you (or anyone else) could recommend some Lifehouse sets to me. I have his early solo stuff and Scoop and Another Scoop, but Lifehouse is not something I'm familiar with. If you have any knowledge of the volumes (I believe they are 1-5) and can steer me toward the better ones that would be great. I would also prefer songs over studio doodling or experimental stuff. Thanks.

JohnXDoesn't
07-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Just want to say I think The Who did well at Live 8. Perhaps someone knows who that was on bass and drums? It wasn't Pino and Zak, that's for sure. And still lRoger and Pete sounded great. So did the other guys. Who looked happy to be playing with Who2. Also after hearing that guy on bass, does anyone think The Who could do without Pino? I mean he holds the whole thing down nicely, but he's played with Pete for years. And now with Who2. Does anybody else think some fresh blood at bass might be in order? Perhaps someone young and skilled and a Who fan? Might freshen things up a bit. Just a thought.

BludgeonySteve
07-02-2005, 09:08 PM
The Who are easily one of the best live bands ever.

lunch998
07-02-2005, 09:08 PM
I can't believe I missed their performance, I heard a bit of it on the radio though. Sounded like they did great.

6Stringer
07-02-2005, 09:11 PM
I can't believe I missed their performance, I heard a bit of it on the radio though. Sounded like they did great.

It was a great performance, they showed a replay of it on ABC here in America. Even in their old age the Who still own.

lunch998
07-02-2005, 09:12 PM
They still sounded like one of the best shows in rock.

eghed
07-06-2005, 09:49 AM
MTV's coverage of Live 8 was awful all I saw of The Who was Won't Get Fooled again and the cut out of it at the big synthesizer break and one of the stupid VJ's said that was The Who with Don't You Get Fooled. I think that guy should be killed.

JohnXDoesn't
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
MTV's coverage of Live 8 was awful all I saw of The Who was Won't Get Fooled again and the cut out of it at the big synthesizer break and one of the stupid VJ's said that was The Who with Don't You Get Fooled. I think that guy should be killed.

Yeah, MTV's coverage left much to be desired. I couldn't get connected to video via the internet so they were my only hope. I to was stunned when after such a great performance of WGFA they cut to commercial during the synth break. Before the drums kick in. Before Daltreys classic scream. Before the final lyric of the song that wraps it all up so nicely. Just another example of a bonehead television director not knowing enough about the music to know the song wasn't over when things got quiet. Not only did we miss the storm, we missed the calm before the storm. Pity, that.

And ABC did no better in there coverage here in the states when they rebroadcasted portions of the show. Coming back from commercial they picked up Who Are You about two-thirds of the way into the song, and that was it. No more Who coverage at all. I was like, 'WTF'!

A-Holes. Every last one of 'em. :angry:

JohnXDoesn't
07-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Here are some pics taken of The Who at Live 8. These were taken by a fellow who goes on the road with them and hangs around and pretty much take pictures and documents events. They are of Pete and Roger, but mostly of Pete as that was the vantage point. Hope you don't mind clicking, as I haven't yet gotten the info as to how to post them directly on the board.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3746/l8120ng.jpg
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3046/l8057zg.jpg
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7892/l8116an.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1888/l8019qo.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5576/l8105pe.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6951/l8138xf.jpg

Apparently the guys on drums and bass for Live 8 are from Paul Wellers band. Zak was unable to make the gig because he is on tour with Oasis and Pino couldn't make it because he is touring Japan with Jeff Beck. At any rate I thought the band sounded great, and enjoy the pics. They are pretty good shots. I especially like the Pete "wingspan" shot. As if he's about to take flight. That's always been a Townshend signature pose. He's a nut.

robo2448
07-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Great pics. Everyone who is disappointed with MTV's coverage, go to www.aolmusic.com

I missed all of Live 8, but they have all the shows on there and you can watch them whenever you want.

lunch998
07-06-2005, 07:19 PM
I didn't even get a chance to watch MTV's coverage, or ABC's.

Mr. Black
07-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Now I searched for this and it says there isn't one so don't pound your complaints on me, as for the thread, the who, what is the best album , song and candidate for one of the best Rock bands ever?

Lunch
07-23-2005, 01:15 PM
You might like this (http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347012) .

But yea, I love The Who, as anyone here could tell you. My favorite album is Tommy, so maybe my favorite song is Amazing Journey/Sparks. It's hard to pick though. I think they are easily one of the greatest rock bands ever.

Jharaski
07-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Teenage Wasteland

/not serious

Mr. Black
07-23-2005, 01:20 PM
****, man i new there would be a thread, I checked as well, I don't get that thread search

clown_phobia
07-23-2005, 06:01 PM
I love them - my favourite song is see me, feel me (the last bit of We're Not Gonna Take It.

I like lots of the songs off Tommy - but I also love their early stuff: My Generation, I Can't Explain, The Kids are Alright, Substitute, I can see for miles, happy jack, I'm a boy, A quick one...

Some great songs are off Who's Next...

JonG
07-23-2005, 06:07 PM
The Who???

Haha just messin', I have never really got into them TBH.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Glad I'm not you.

Who owns TKAA? I love that movie, all the footage is amazing. Even the sound quality is great. My favorite part is the My Generation at the Monterey Pop Festivel and the follwing montage of Pete Smashing all his guitars.

braindoctor
07-23-2005, 06:15 PM
my generation rules

WINDMILL'S RULE

iBENezrocker
07-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Note to self buy Who cds. Bein a classical rock nut i should have at least one or two of their albums but there ya go

I'd only heard substitute and My generation before Live 8, and i thought they were pretty immense. I really should have some of their albums, but i aint got aound to that yet. If it werent for the who you woukldnt have Zepplein or any hard rock, maybe punk though thats controversial. With them we'd be nowhere, i understand that much about them.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 06:28 PM
You should get Tommy, Live at Leeds, and Who's Next. And maybe The Who Sell Out, but that's a little farther down the road.

xxxMin0rityxxx
07-23-2005, 06:35 PM
did any of you happen to catch the who at Live8

when they played "who are you"

that was awesome.....they still played like they were young

thunderzstruck
07-23-2005, 06:36 PM
:eek: I'm listening to the who right now!

Lunch
07-23-2005, 06:36 PM
The Won't Get Fooled Again was great, I never cared that much for Who Are You though. But the performance in general was good, they still have it.

BringHomeTheBacon
07-23-2005, 06:51 PM
I don't get that thread search
How do you search a thread for a band named The Who?
And what's the story with the new album that was supposed to come out this year? I still don't have a certain answer. Did they decide not to do it?

rivendell
07-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Quadrophenia, the whole album is just really great!

clown_phobia
07-23-2005, 07:06 PM
did any of you happen to catch the who at Live8

when they played "who are you"

that was awesome.....they still played like they were young

I dont like that song :upset:

Jude
07-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Teenage Wasteland

/not serious

:angry: Baba O'Riley is my favorite Who song. I love the weird keyboard intro and the chord progression is simple but so great. Closely following it are I Can't Explain, Won't Get Fooled Again and 5:15.

RiceMonster
07-23-2005, 08:46 PM
The Who = awsome.

The Won't Get Fooled Again was great, I never cared that much for Who Are You though. But the performance in general was good, they still have it.
I quite like Who Are You. I only got to see them perform that song, and it was a great performance. I'm going to assume that Won't Get Fooled Again was great to.

black.hole.sun
07-23-2005, 09:31 PM
They rock.

drugstore cowboy
07-23-2005, 09:33 PM
I wasn't impressed with the drummer for them at Live 8. It wasn't Zak Starkey, cause that jerk left them for Oasis.

Anyways, favourite Who album is Tommy. Favourite song...Amazing Journey is, well, amazing, but I'd say Naked Eye. The guitar solo is amazing.

JohnXDoesn't
07-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Now I searched for this and it says there isn't one so don't pound your complaints on me, as for the thread, the who, what is the best album , song and candidate for one of the best Rock bands ever?

The Who are without doubt the greatest band ever. They just are. No question. For me, thier very best album is Quadrophenia. I just feel musically, lyrically, and spritually (meaning the spirit of the band), that it encompasses everything the band ever stood for and still stand for to this day. Someone once wrote Quadrophenia is an album sized My Generation. And for me that about sums it up.

My favorite cut from the album is hard to choose. They are all very good. Not a clunker in the lot of 'em. But if forced to choose I would pick Sea & Sand, followed closely by The Punk Meets The Godfather. But those are subjective choices. Dr. Jimmy, The Dirty Jobs, The Real Me, And Love Reign O'er Me could easily slot in as well. And that's not to mention 5:15 and I'm One.

Incredible band whose influence is still being felt and whose timeless songs and music will live on for a good many years to come. I feel truly grateful for what they have done, and in fact continue to do. Even if it is just Pete and Roger now. John is sorely missed, but I'm sure he would've wanted them to carry on. I for one am glad they have.

CantBuyAThrill
07-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Anyone seen the film Quadrophenia? I loved that movie. And the Who are one of my favorite bands. Currently, my personal favorite song they do is "The Seeker", and I love watching the footage of the band live when they were younger, like Woodstock and the Isle of Wight. So energetic. Personal favorite album: probably "Quadrophenia" again or "Live at Leeds" if it counts.

JohnXDoesn't
07-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Anyone seen the film Quadrophenia? I loved that movie. And the Who are one of my favorite bands. Currently, my personal favorite song they do is "The Seeker", and I love watching the footage of the band live when they were younger, like Woodstock and the Isle of Wight. So energetic. Personal favorite album: probably "Quadrophenia" again or "Live at Leeds" if it counts.

I've seen the film and it is an amazing near classic. The story is told very well and the performances are top notch. It feels a bit more desperate then the album, which I suppose it should being it's a different medium. But other than that I would say it hits the mark. Also if you like old Who footage, go here:

You may already be aware it. But if not, click on the "Who TV" button and enjoy. All kinds of good and unusual stuuf in there played in a loop. Pretty nice thing for any Who fan.

ColonelSanderz
07-23-2005, 09:59 PM
I love the part in The Kids Are Alright when they're playing "My Generation" and they are all just screwing around becuase the song was pre-recorded. I also like the song "Young Man Blues", it has great guitar in it. Naked Eye is another good tune.

drugstore cowboy
07-23-2005, 10:10 PM
^^ Keith Moon makes it the most apparent that they're playing to a pre recorded track. He's just lightly, daintily tapping the cymbals. He fixes his hair at one point during the song. He misses fills, doesn't even care. It's awesome.

The best part is when Pete ambles back onstage after the big explosion, patting down his hair which was a little singed. I always laugh when he takes the guitar from Tommy Smothers, and just heaves it to the ground. He looks so tired, and non caring.

"Hey Dick, can I borrow your bass for a minute?"

Classic stuff...

Futuro
07-23-2005, 10:16 PM
good drummer, i think there guitar player sucks (mainly causeof how he acts), good vocalist, and the bass player doesnt do anything special (from what i have heard) so all in all just an average rock band (i do enjoy to listen to them once and a while)

JohnXDoesn't
07-23-2005, 10:28 PM
good drummer, i think there guitar player sucks (mainly causeof how he acts), good vocalist, and the bass player doesnt do anything special (from what i have heard) so all in all just an average rock band (i do enjoy to listen to them once and a while)

You suck far more than Townshend ever could. Entwhistle does nothing special? That's an abomination of a statement. Average rock band? How about you have an under average taste in music. And how exactly does Townshend "act" and why does it disturb you? Oh, and The Who were never about perfect musicianship. So they didn't and don't need to do anything "special" to achieve greatness. They're just great. Period. That's all you need to know and understand.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 10:47 PM
You suck far more than Townshend ever could. Entwhistle does nothing special? That's an abomination of a statement. Average rock band? How about you have an under average taste in music. And how exactly does Townshend "act" and why does it disturb you? Oh, and The Who were never about perfect musicianship. So they didn't and don't need to do anything "special" to achieve greatness. They're just great. Period. That's all you need to know and understand.

I was wondering when I'd see you back in R&M again.

The My Generation on Live at Leeds is absolutely amazing, as is the Sparks. Well since I've gone that far, the whole album (especially the deluxe CD edition) is fantastic.

CantBuyAThrill
07-23-2005, 11:01 PM
It's a good thing that Faith+1 hasn't heard much of the Who's music. Otherwise he'd know how wrong he is. Christ, John Entwistle doesn't do anything special? What?

Futuro
07-23-2005, 11:06 PM
pull your hand out of your asshole. :thumb:

now shut the fuck up and listen, there are better bands.

I stated my opinion, you got all bitchy on me, stop acting like a fucking 3 year old and grow some balls.

my avatar is bigger then yours.....so automatically, i win
/sarcasm on last sentance.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Heres how the band really goes (to put it simply): Great drummer, great guitarist (for things other than just playing guitar solos), great singer, great bassist.

pull your hand out of your asshole. :thumb:

now shut the fuck up and listen, there are better bands.

I stated my opinion, you got all bitchy on me, stop acting like a fucking 3 year old and grow some balls.

And he stated his opinion back, he wasn't insulting you (except by saying you suck more than Townshend, which is hardly an insult, his point is that Townshend is great, not that you suck). Now you're the one acting all bitchy to him. Sounds like a hypocrite to me.

monokolopo
07-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Baba O Riley ( Who Next) on Viynl i
s the way to go

Futuro
07-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Heres how the band really goes (to put it simply): Great drummer, great guitarist (for things other than just playing guitar solos), great singer, great bassist.

/looks at avatar
no shit you think that, you are a fanboy

It's a good thing that Faith+1 hasn't heard much of the Who's music. Otherwise he'd know how wrong he is. Christ, John Entwistle doesn't do anything special? What?
I have 4 disc box set of The Who, to say i havent listened to them much would show your ignorant views, i just said there are better bands, yet again, stating my opinion.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 11:17 PM
/looks at avatar

How come your allowed to express what you think but as soon as I say that they have a group of great personell in makes me a fanboy? I'm not incapable of perceiving other bands as better than The Who. And I don't automatically accept everything The Who did as amazing. You don't seem to know what a fanboy really is.

Having an avatar of a band doesn't make you a fanboy. You have an ugly monster in your avatar, does that make you an ugly monster lover?

JohnXDoesn't
07-23-2005, 11:18 PM
/looks at avatar

I have 4 disc box set of The Who, to say i havent listened to them much would show your ignorant views, i just said there are better bands, yet again, stating my opinion.

"fanboy" :rolleyes:

"4 disc box set" :thumb:

A gift, just for you.

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347012&page=1

Futuro
07-23-2005, 11:21 PM
half of those are singles.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 11:21 PM
"fanboy" :lol:

"4 disc box set" :thumb:

A gift, just for you.

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347012&page=1

I wouldn't bother, but thanks for whoring my thread out.

We've had this argument before, if you don't like The Who that's fine.

Futuro
07-23-2005, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't bother, but thanks for whoring my thread out.

We've had this argument before, if you don't like The Who that's fine.
....... I do like them, what i said at first wasn't negative towords the band, but someone took things way out of proportion.

JohnXDoesn't
07-23-2005, 11:25 PM
I was wondering when I'd see you back in R&M again.

The My Generation on Live at Leeds is absolutely amazing, as is the Sparks. Well since I've gone that far, the whole album (especially the deluxe CD edition) is fantastic.

I've been around. Kind of spreading myself thin throughout a few forums lately, though. And it's funny you should mention the deluxe edition Leeds set, because I just picked that up. I have to get used to it, as I'm accustomed to the short, tight album that I've always known Live at Leeds to be. But I'm slowly working my way through it. It really is my pleasure to do so. I'm loving it.

Lunch
Then is appears we shouldn't have any problems here.

I would definitely disagree with you about Entwistle "not doing anything special" and even if you don't like Townshend I think it would be a stretch to say he sucked (either at guitar or writing).

Edit: To Faith+1

CantBuyAThrill
Edit: This in response to Faith+1

My mistake in thinking that you hadn't heard much of the Who. However, I really find it difficult to understand why you thought that Pete Townshend was a bad guitarist. I can understand why you can think that he was all that special with his instrument, (I guess,) but it's real hard to deny that he did have a very special gift for song writing. And to say that Entwistle didn't do anything special when you've apparently heard as much of their stuff really makes me wonder... because listening to stuff like "The Real Me" and "5:15" or even the bass solos on "My Generation" never fails to impress me. I realize there are other bands out there, but I still believe that the Who are a very competant, classic band, which I believe at least deserves a little respect.

Edit.. again: Sorry, this was typed while Lunch was trying to make amends, or whatever he was saying. I'll leave it anyway.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 11:27 PM
I've been around. Kind of spreading myself thin throughout a few forums lately, though. And it's funny you should mention the deluxe edition Leeds set, because I just picked that up. I have to get used to it, as I'm accustomed to the short, tight album that I've always known Live at Leeds to be. But I'm slowly working my way through it. It really is my pleasure to do so. I'm loving it.

From what I've heard the sound quality is better, and Tommy has always been my favorite Who album so obviously the live disc of that was a must-have for me. And it lived up to expectations.

JohnXDoesn't
07-23-2005, 11:28 PM
....... I do like them, what i said at first wasn't negative towords the band, but someone took things way out of proportion.

It's cool. Really. No offense. I don't use the boards to confront or argue. And your opinion is welcome. But with that sort of opinion you should expect a somewhat vigorous retort from someone. I just happened to be that someone. As I said, no offense

CantBuyAThrill
07-23-2005, 11:37 PM
It's cool. Really. No offense. I don't use the boards to confront or argue. And your opinion is welcome. But with that sort of opinion you should expect a somewhat vigorous retort from someone. I just happened to be that someone. As I said, no offense

Word to that.

Futuro
07-23-2005, 11:38 PM
they have a great guitar player, when i said he sucked, i meant towords how i have seen him act. i should have put some of my statments in a different way, but i suck at writing.

i do like the band, but i am not holding them like gods. i do appreciate there music, they have inspired a lot of people to pick up an instrument (Me) but i was expressing my views.

Again let me restate, I suck at expressing my views with writing, if i have confused anyone, sorry bout that.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 11:39 PM
What about how Townshend acted made you not like him?

(I'm not trying to change your views or anything, just curious and starting conversation.)

Seafroggys
07-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Oy vei.

Entwistle doing nothing?

He's perhaps the greatest bassist who ever lived (made 3rd place in this forum, which is quite a feat saying how R&M is mostly metalheads), his licks are absolutly phenominal and are rarely, if ever, duplicated or matched. And I loved his stage presense (just stood there looking blank, while playing the most complex stuff in the band).

Keith Moon is ****ing amazing. Geez Faith, being a drummer I'm surprised you don't appreciate him more. He was more style than raw technical aptitude, which is what I look for in a drummer. **** technical aptitude, he roared on the drums and looked like he was having fun.

Roger Daltry could belt better then anybody else with the exception of Freddie Mercury. Plus he swung his mic around, which automatically makes him cooler.

Now Pete is probably technically-wise the worst of the group. He does a pretty decent guitar though, and his stage precense and energy is absolutly phenomnal (just watch TKAA and both Baba and Won't Get Fooled Again, he goes ape **** and STILL plays) and his songwriting is matched by only Ian ANderson and John and Paul.

They kick ***. You'll opinion will change if you see their live show. Trust me, I liked them pretty well listening to the albums, but after watching TKAA, I orgasm over them. Its a whole different trip.

BludgeonySteve
07-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Pete does just fine. He's not all that great a guitarist, but it gets the job done. And he writes the lyrics so that's a huge plus considering how good The Who's lyrics are.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Watching them live during their finer moments still gives me the chills. Especially Townshend's windmills. I love the footage of Young Man Blues on the Isle of Wight Dvd, theres great shots of Townshend doing all kinds of cool stuff with his guitar (windmill, waving it in the air, jumping around). You can always feel the energy coming out of their live footage or live recordings.

PinkFreud
07-23-2005, 11:45 PM
entwistle was the greatest rock basisst there ever was. really. its that simple. the real me was improvised in studio. if thats not talent then i dont know what is.

Futuro
07-23-2005, 11:46 PM
What about how Townshend acted made you not like him?

(I'm not trying to change your views or anything, just curious and starting conversation.)
well actually, its the same reason for a lot of bands i dont like, they broke instruments, to me that shows an anger issue or trying to be cool. but i do understand how the times were "back then", But it always seemed pete took it to far. on the live songs in the box-set, he just acts like an ******* when talking to the fans. just not somebody i would want to hang around with.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 11:48 PM
I love the Real Me on the 30 Years of Maximum R&B box set (it's a version recorded in 1979, yes with Kenney Jones). Well rather, I love the end. Entwistle's part through the majority of the song much less interesting than the Quadrophenia version, but at the end he has an amazing bass solo into the fadeout. It's one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

PinkFreud
07-23-2005, 11:49 PM
I love the Real Me on the 30 Years of Maximum R&B box set (it's a version recorded in 1979, yes with Kenney Jones). Well rather, I love the end. Entwistle's part through the majority of the song much less interesting than the Quadrophenia version, but at the end he has an amazing bass solo into the fadeout. It's one of the greatest things I've ever heard.
yeah, you posted it in cr. hes so great. if anyone was the hendrix of bass, it was him.

Lunch
07-23-2005, 11:49 PM
well actually, its the same reason for a lot of bands i dont like, they broke instruments, to me that shows an anger issue or trying to be cool. but i do understand how the times were "back then", But it always seemed pete took it to far. on the live songs in the box-set, he just acts like an ******* when talking to the fans. just not somebody i would want to hang around with.

The Who were really the first rock group to destroy their instruments, to me I love that part of their show in the mid-late 60's. But obviously, to each his own.

It's funny you should mention the way he talks to the audience. JohnxDoe brought this up in the last Who thread I think, about how a reviewer of the Live at Boston Dvd commented on the negative way Townshend talked to the audience. To understand The Who, you have to understand how Pete interacts with the audience. He didn't hate them, it was actually quite the opposite. The fans understood that, the outsider usually doesn't.
yeah, you posted it in cr. hes so great. if anyone was the hendrix of bass, it was him.

I didn't know anyone downloaded it.

eCow
07-23-2005, 11:55 PM
I really enjoy "La La Lies"

Very catchy tune, but yes, the who are a great band

PinkFreud
07-23-2005, 11:58 PM
I didn't know anyone downloaded it.
i did. anything related to entwistle interests me. i absolutely abhor jones' drumming on it though.

JohnXDoesn't
07-23-2005, 11:59 PM

Well much of The Who's music was angry and violent. If that's not your cup of tea, then you most likely won't like them as much as others. Raw aggression and identity issues were all thrown on the table in Townshends writing, and The Who expressed this best from the stage. Hence the smashing of the instruments. Which was completely appropriate in The Who's case. No other band could or can do what The Who once did onstage. And those who have tried have come off as foolish posers. To understand The Who and thier motives you have to do a bit of research and a lot of listening. And a good deal of reading, too. And even if after that it doesn't click for you, you should definitely understand where they were coming from. Especially Townshend.

Oh, and Townshend has never been an asshole to the fans. That's just Pete being Pete. The fans know what that means. It's all good. We wouldn't have it any other way.

07-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Alright, just merged the new The Who thread with this one.

BludgeonySteve
07-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Alright, just merged the new The Who thread with this one.
I love you, in the way a forum user loves a good moderator. :thumb:

Lunch
07-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Yea, I really wouldn't have Pete any other way. I've always been a big fan of them smashing their instruments.

JohnXDoesn't
07-24-2005, 12:05 AM
The Who Board is ALIVE! A monster is reborn!

LONG LIVE ROCK! :smash:

Lunch
07-24-2005, 12:06 AM
The Who Board is ALIVE! A monster is reborn!

LONG LIVE ROCK! :smash:

Don't let this one die out on us. I know you tried your best to keep the old one alive.

JohnXDoesn't
07-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Don't let this one die out on us. I know you tried your best to keep the old one alive.

I really did. And this is spurring me on. But with thier plans on hold for new stuff for the time being, it's kind of difficult. It got a bit of a boost with Live 8, but then went flat again. I suppose I can dig up some news and post more excerpts from biographies of the band. Another of which I just came across. I'll give it a daily shot and see what happens. This evenings activity has been very encouraging. And it's great that the threads have been merged. Lot's of new energy in the thread now. That's great.

Lunch
07-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Yea, I like it too.

So uh, The Who Sell Out is a great record.

PinkFreud
07-24-2005, 12:19 AM
its cool

dreaming from the waist is another great bass performance.

Lunch
07-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Live at Leeds is a great bass performance. That album really never ceases to amaze me, for the overall energy, Keith Moon's constant wall of sound, and Entwistle's overall greatness. Heaven and Hell especially.

I'm going out of town for a few days, keep this thread alive guys.

PinkFreud
07-24-2005, 12:28 AM
heaven and hell is good.

young man blues is another.

Seafroggys
07-24-2005, 12:51 AM
Heaven and Hell is fricken phenomnal.

It wasn't even on an album, was it?

PinkFreud
07-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Heaven and Hell is fricken phenomnal.

It wasn't even on an album, was it?
i dont believe so. entwistle wrote it.

Mr. Black
07-24-2005, 04:44 AM
i BOUGHT The Tommy album yestaday,I'ts areally good listen

drugstore cowboy
07-24-2005, 11:27 AM
^^ Niiice. Enjoy it to the fullest.

Gotta put this thread back on the first page.

I don't think Roger Daltry is given enough credit as a singer. Not only was he an amazing vocalist, he had extra pressure, as he was singing Townshend's lyrics. As we all know, Pete's a very meticulous guy when writing his songs, and it must be hard to give your own personal lyrics to another singer.

I think praise must be given to Roger for, in my opinion, singing Pete's lyrics better than alot of people could.

uhh...discuss Roger Daltry as a vocalist?

PinkFreud
07-24-2005, 12:27 PM
hes quite powerful and he has a ok range. i prefer him over plant and his other contemporaries but i think vocalists have only improved as each generation passes. he was an overlooked front man though, because of townshends energy. people fail to realize that daltrey met that energy every night.

Seafroggys
07-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Not as good as people now? I say the opposite. I have yet to hear an outstanding male lead singer from the past 10 years.

BludgeonySteve
07-24-2005, 02:55 PM
He's, in my opinion one of the top 10 rock singers of all time. I haven't heard a better singer in a popular rock band since Freddie Mercury died in 1991.

wanderer
07-24-2005, 05:18 PM
LAL.. hhhmmm.... they played far more raw & Balls-to-the-Wall Rock 'n Roll
shows.I never understood why they released LAL.
They recorded other shows for the release but legend ( I don't think it's true at
all) has it that Pete burned the tapes.
I think Pete was/is better singer Daltrey.

Also in case someone missed this post I put Live8 thread, here it's again...

-----
It's even more wonder that The Who were that good after you read
Steve White (drummer) comment about the show. Checkout the part about how many times they practiced the songs.... that's just grazy !!!!

from http://www.whiteydrums.com/ :

WOW or should I say WHO! The response to the two numbers me & Damon did with the Who on Sat. at Live 8 has been nothing less than stunning. Thank you
all so much for the overwhelming words of support & love from you all.

Let me just give you a bit of background to what happened. It was two weeks ago that we got the call from the legendary soundman & Who associate Bobby
Pridden. As many of you will know we supported the band in Japan last year & through Paul (Weller) have had a few chances to work with Roger through the teenage cancer trust events. The call came out of the blue in that it had been agreed The Who would be performing, so in the midst of rehearsing for Glasto with the Players & putting the final touches to Paul's album we (myself & D) were presented with the options for the set. Four tunes were originally mooted & we set about learning the parts. Three of them were to a sequencer & required that on the day the use of in-ear monitoring, not something I am too into really but whatever! We didn't rehearse until the day before. We only met Pete the day before that at Blackbarn studios (where thanks to Paul, we were at least allowed to jam with the sequencer parts. Matt, one of the engineers that works with the band, did a fab job in giving us the lowdown on the tunes, including the fact that the arrangements could be a little different to the record. C'est la vie! And thanks to Matt, Charles & PW for the support.

We only really played the tunes "Who Are You" & "Won't Get Fooled Again" twice on the day with the full band, as Pete was happy to just go for it. And I must say that the second run through we did at Bray studios was possibly the most intense, full on, balls out rock & roll I have ever played, with Mr. Townsend literally stunning in intensity, flow, & musicality. Truly incredible.

Hyperbole & superlatives aside, the fact is that two runs were all we had, & all we got. Yes I missed the re-intro to the second part of "Who Are You," & the in-ear monitors felt like bees in my ear drum but the shear power of "Won't Get Fooled Again" carried us through. What can I say? We got up & we did it. My brother on the bass played f**king awesomely, & I don't think anyone could have nailed the runs on "Won't Get Fooled" like Mr. D - hats off to you, matey.

drum4weezer36
07-24-2005, 05:57 PM
This thread is awesome! Nice job :thumb:

JohnXDoesn't
07-24-2005, 06:02 PM
This thread is awesome! Nice job :thumb:

Yes, it's been good for the Who faithful on the boards. It was revived last nite when a new Who thread/discussion arose in R&M and the two threads were merged. The Who are always worth mentionig. So I for one am glad this thread is here to post, talk, and read about The Who in. And they are always good for a bit of musical controversy.

PinkFreud
07-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Not as good as people now? I say the opposite. I have yet to hear an outstanding male lead singer from the past 10 years.
chris cornell and jeff buckley.

buckley could hit notes that women singers had hard times hitting. hes also amazingly diverse. hard rock to soft adult alternative to even some opera.

cornell had an outstanding range in the 90's, not to mention power to equal daltrey and more versatility to boot.

temporary
07-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Awesome job! The Who are probably my favorite band, after Pink Floyd.

robo2448
07-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Daltrey has amazing power and underrated range. He was also a real showman. It's also very impressive that he can sing with such emotion even though he didn't write the lyrics.

temporary
07-24-2005, 09:40 PM
By the way, I've been meaning to ask. To anyone who's seen The Who lately, are they any good without Entwistle and Moon?

eghed
07-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Watching them live during their finer moments still gives me the chills. Especially Townshend's windmills. I love the footage of Young Man Blues on the Isle of Wight Dvd, theres great shots of Townshend doing all kinds of cool stuff with his guitar (windmill, waving it in the air, jumping around). You can always feel the energy coming out of their live footage or live recordings.

I love that DVD I watch along with The Kids Are Alright all the time. The Who are definitely my favorite live band to watch or hear, when see other people doing live stuff I just think well, not as good as The Who.

And Young Man Blues is probably my favorite song from The Isle of Wight I love when Townshend lets his guitar just hang and feedback, and then he goes all crazy.

eghed
07-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Yea, I like it too.

So uh, The Who Sell Out is a great record.

Yes I love The Who Sell Out CD reissue is better than the original album, A lot of my favorites weren't on the original album like Hall of The Mountain King and Glittering Girl. Also I love those commercials like the coke ones are really good songs. I also really like Our Love Was and Sunrise. This is definitely very different from all other Who albums. And I think some of that is because Pete sings a lot of the songs, many of them are softer than other who songs. I wonder if maybe Pete was losing some faith in Roger, but also I don't Roger would have been able to sing some of that high stuff. The Who Sell Out is like a prelude to Tommy. Rael has within it Sparks and Underture, which shows I guess Pete didn't mind reusing his songs. Also "It's a girl Mrs. Walker It's a girl" change that to a boy and theres "It's a boy." There's more but you get the picture.

I think it's funny that originally Pete was going to play Tommy therefore being the main singer for the album but Roger said he'd do it and I think that was a good choice.
Also just wanted to say Sparks live is one of the greatest things I've ever seen or heard.

drugstore cowboy
07-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Also just wanted to say Sparks live is one of the greatest things I've ever seen or heard.

The one at Woodstock (on TKAA) is amaaaaazing. Just an awesome jam.

I wouldn't say Pete was reusing songs on Tommy, as much as he was just developing them on earlier records. The same goes for the "Naked Eye" chords at the end of their Woodstock performance. He was just developing motifs, and then using them in different contexts.

Jacaranda
07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Well I just picked up Live at the Isle of Wright, haven't got a chance to listen to it quiet yet.

JohnXDoesn't
07-25-2005, 05:13 PM
By the way, I've been meaning to ask. To anyone who's seen The Who lately, are they any good without Entwistle and Moon?

I have seen The Who twice since the unfortunate death of John Entwhistle and can testify to the fact that they are nearly the same band they were before his loss. The first time I saw them it was just thier second or third gig back after his death, and they did well. I saw them again about a year ago and they did even better, as new bassist Pino Palladino had seemed to of found a firm place in the band. Pete goes the extra mile with his guitar playing to help make up for John's thunder no longer being there, and they have added Pete's brother Simon on rythmn guitar and back up vocals to further assist in making up for the empty spaces left by John. They are an incredible live band and I am convinced that despite John no longer being with them, when The Who are onstage on any given night, you are witness to the best live R n R band in the world. Period. If just for a couple of hours. Oh, and Zak Starkey is an exceptional drummer. Pete has said Roger thinks Zak is the second coming of Moon, and considers him on the same level. Pete disagrees and so do I. But with Zak behind the kit it helps you not miss Keith nearly as much, and makes you think "Kenny Jones who?"

All that said, 'nearly the same band' as I stated above, is not the same band. If you pay attention you can hear the difference. And it doesn't have to be close attention. The difference is obvious. The bass lines that John would improvise are no longer there. The thunderous volume and the clarity of his playing has given way to what can only be described as someone sitting in for him. Pino is a good bass player. He's toured and recorded with Pete before and knows The Who's music very well. And while he is skilled and has some tricks up his sleeve, he is no John Entwhistle. And wisely he doesn't try to be. He is a very good player that does what he does best. Which is take a back seat to the rest of the band and play bass. Which is a lot different then how the bass player they used to have used to play it. Such a shame. And when I hear The Who now I miss John's incredible playing. But he blew it. And as a fan I'm about as pissed at a dead guy that I don't know as I can be.

Aging rock musicians with heart trouble should not be doing coke and indulging in hookers the night before a tour, or on any night for that matter. He had too much to offer still and was far too accomplished to be acting like a kid. If you wanna play, you gotta pay. And John payed with his life. If he weren't already dead I'd kill him myself.

Dumb bastard. :upset:

EDIT: If you wanna check out The Who as they are, check out the Live in Boston DVD. It's the last show of the first tour they did after John died, and they get off to a bit of a slow start with the older songs. Plus they seem a bit tired, and Pino is still finding his place in the band. But after the first 15 minutes or so they are pretty much in full swing and kick some serious butt. It's well worth your time.

temporary
07-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Oh, thanks for the info!

JohnXDoesn't
07-27-2005, 02:14 PM
The one at Woodstock (on TKAA) is amaaaaazing. Just an awesome jam.

I wouldn't say Pete was reusing songs on Tommy, as much as he was just developing them on earlier records. The same goes for the "Naked Eye" chords at the end of their Woodstock performance. He was just developing motifs, and then using them in different contexts.

Yeah, Pete has always worked that way. I think a lot of songwriters do. I've heard demos and outtakes from him where bits and pieces of some completed Who/Townshend songs can be heard in earlier work on different songs. Lyrics, too. I know Bruce Springsteen does the same thing. It's just a matter of a work still being in progress, so to speak. Or using something that perhaps didn't quite work before, somewhere new where it does. On the new Springsteen album the second song has half a verse with the exact same lyrics as a song he put out over ten years ago. I think this often happens if a writer is as prolific as Townshend. And he's allowed that freedom because afterall, it is his work.

EDIT: Thanks for posting that article, Wanderer. I enjoyed it. I've always seen The Who as a band that kind of wings it sometimes, and I guess that still holds true. I still disagree with you about Roger, however. Although I to enjoy Pete's vocals, he wouldn't of been able to pull off The Who without Roger, IMO.

Lunch
07-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Roger was twice the vocalist Pete was.

Riva
07-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Indeed. Eminence Front vs Won't Get Fooled Again. :)

Lunch
07-27-2005, 11:51 PM
I like the depth Pete added, the harmonies he created with Roger/John, and the variety he provides which is a nice break during some of their songs, but overall it isn't a contest.

The Who Sell Out has always been a favorite of mine, and the bonus tracks make the CD absolutely amazing. My favorites on the original album are Armenia, Relax, Tattoo, and Rael.

BludgeonySteve
07-28-2005, 12:43 AM
Rodger was just a better singer than Pete. No doubt about it. Rodger has amazing power in his voice but also could sing some of the most beautiful melodies i've ever heard.

Pete was good though.

wanderer
07-28-2005, 02:23 AM
No contest what so ever.. Pete is better singer..
Roger is just "brute force singer", nothing more..
Pete was/is better singer than Roger, now and forever... to me :)

PinkFreud
07-28-2005, 02:45 AM
pete had no range. and no power. so what was he? unique? roger could sing with more emotion and range than pete ever could.

JohnXDoesn't
07-28-2005, 03:23 AM
No contest what so ever.. Pete is better singer..
Roger is just "brute force singer", nothing more..
Pete was/is better singer than Roger, now and forever... to me :)

Wanderer, now you listen up. Roger is far more then merely a "brute force singer". I listened to the whole of Quadrophenia last nite and the depth and range of Roger's vocals is amazing. He indeed is tender and low key when he needs to be. And he does a good job of it. Pete could never give those songs everything they needed vocally. And imagining songs such as My Generation, Baba 'O Riley and especially WGFA, among many many others, with any other singer but Roger just doesn't add up. Plus he's been dutiful (if a little hard headed) to the band and Pete's vision all these years. So let's give credit where credit is due.

wanderer
07-28-2005, 06:52 AM
sorry but that's just how it is to me...
Pete was/is better singer... more emotion etc.

eghed
07-28-2005, 12:42 PM
pete had no range. and no power. so what was he? unique? roger could sing with more emotion and range than pete ever could.

Actually I disagree though I do think Roger was a better singer especially for the band, I think Pete had more of a range than Roger did. Roger i'm sure could get lower but Pete could get much higher and most songs are high.

Anyway if you want range John definitley had the largest range of anybody, he could go really low and really high. Keith Moon also had a nice high voice.

PinkFreud
07-28-2005, 12:57 PM
all of petes high range was in a really obvious falsetto though. it didnt sound that good. john was a good singer and keith did an excellent job on the tkaaa dvd with barbara ann. haha.

Lunch
07-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Keith =/= singing.

Doesn't Roger sing on Armenia, City In the Sky? Either way, he has good range throughout the Who's earlier albums.

Seafroggys
07-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Pete wasn't that great of a lead singer, due to his natural falsetto, but he was a kickass backup singer.

moreover, on TKAA when they do Baba O'Reilly, he does sing that bridge part, and it is kinda cool.

Entwistle could sing better then Pete IMO.

wanderer
07-29-2005, 02:12 AM
Anyone who claims that Pete isn't gret lead singer hasn't obviously never heared his solo shows or record

Just checkout Oceanic Concert
So muh better than Roger....

Amir14
07-29-2005, 02:36 AM
name me one of their best songs....

Johnny B. Good
07-29-2005, 02:50 AM
EEEEXXXXXXXXCCCCEEELLLLLlEEEEEEENNNNNNTNTTTTTT

JohnXDoesn't
07-29-2005, 08:31 AM
EEEEXXXXXXXXCCCCEEELLLLLlEEEEEEENNNNNNTNTTTTTT

Do not spam in The Who thread. :angry:

I'm serious.

JohnXDoesn't
07-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Anyone who claims that Pete isn't gret lead singer hasn't obviously never heared his solo shows or record

Just checkout Oceanic Concert
So muh better than Roger....

No doubt about it. Pete is a very good singer. I have no problem with Pete. In fact I do prefer Pete's singing sometimes. And his solo albums are amazing. Particularly his eary 80's ones. Right up there with the best Who material, IMO. But his voice is different then Roger's. And I think that's the point I have been trying to make. And Roger's voice is just better suited for many Who songs then Pete's. Pete's voice is great, but even at it's toughest can be a bit soft. And he always sounds somewhat vulnerable. And I think that's the main reason he couldn't be the primary singer for The Who. His vulnerability is not always called for. In his vocals, I mean. And Roger's aggresiveness can well give way to vulnerabilty far easier then Pete could manage those screams in WGFA and many other Who songs. Pete is more one dimensional than Roger as a singer. And although Roger has sometimes been accused of being the same, upon closer listen and consideration, I have found that not to be the case.

So I would say it's good The Who have always had two good singers in the band. They do The Who well. So far as John is concerend? Eh, I could take his croak or leave it. And Keith? I'm surprised some people notice him at all. I was on another board once and someone said too bad he died 'cause judging from his singing on 'Bell Boy' he could of had a great solo career. And he went on a bit. So I got on him because I thought he was trolling. But it turns out he was the biggest Who fan on the board and was quite serious. Then he flamed me senseless for not agreeing with him! Go figure. :confused:

Lunch
07-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Keith wouldn't have even been able to play drums by around 1980 the way he was going.

Johnny B. Good
07-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Do not spam in The Who thread. :angry:

I'm serious.
i wasnt spammimng u dick head i was telling lunch what an excellent job he did you moron :angry:

robo2448
07-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Keith wouldn't have even been able to play drums by around 1980 the way he was going.

He had lost a lot on Who By Numbers and Who Are You especially. Asides from the title track, the drumming on Who Are You is very mediocre and nothing compared to earlier albums. He really gained a lot of weight and that affected his drumming a lot.

np- Girl's Eyes

Dr. Killgreedy
07-29-2005, 04:54 PM
He had lost a lot on Who By Numbers and Who Are You especially. Asides from the title track, the drumming on Who Are You is very mediocre and nothing compared to earlier albums. He really gained a lot of weight and that affected his drumming a lot.

np- Girl's Eyes agreed*

JohnXDoesn't
07-29-2005, 05:06 PM
i wasnt spammimng u dick head i was telling lunch what an excellent job he did you moron :angry:

Well then next time say it a little better. And your rudeness is not appreciated.

EDIT: Excuse me for the misunderstanding of your first post. :p

wanderer
07-29-2005, 05:43 PM
np- Girl's Eyes

Now this is of course biggest load of nonsense ever. Drumming on WBN is perfect.It is just perfect for the songs Pete wrote. Moons was always song tied no matter what I have seen people claim. Drumming had to work with in context of Pete songs.
I don't if this gets a cross what I'm trying to say with my bad english...
Anyone who has heared WBN periodshows, there's nothing wrong with his drumming.

And Pete will be always better singer than Roger... :)

robo2448
07-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Now this is of course biggest load of nonsense ever. Drumming on WBN is perfect.It is just perfect for the songs Pete wrote. Moons was always song tied no matter what I have seen people claim. Drumming had to work with in context of Pete songs.
I don't if this gets a cross what I'm trying to say with my bad english...
Anyone who has heared WBN periodshows, there's nothing wrong with his drumming.

And Pete will be always better singer than Roger... :)

Uhh... well WBN is up there with Tommy as my favorite Who album, and while there's nothing wrong with the drumming, it is not anywhere near as good as the drumming on Tommy for example. Still, the drumming on WBN is a lot better than on Who Are You. Big drumming decline on that album.

BludgeonySteve
07-29-2005, 06:31 PM
pete's vocal harmonies = the seckorz.

temporary
07-29-2005, 07:05 PM
So I would say it's good The Who have always had two good singers in the band. They do The Who well. So far as John is concerend? Eh, I could take his croak or leave it. And Keith? I'm surprised some people notice him at all. I was on another board once and someone said too bad he died 'cause judging from his singing on 'Bell Boy' he could of had a great solo career. And he went on a bit. So I got on him because I thought he was trolling. But it turns out he was the biggest Who fan on the board and was quite serious. Then he flamed me senseless for not agreeing with him! Go figure. :confused:

A freind of mine has Keith Moon's solo album, which I'm going to borrow soon. I doubt it could be as good as Townsend's solo albums, though.