PDA

View Full Version : Difficult/advanced 5 string songs?

iAmCam
05-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I am getting my 5 string just before summer (arrives somewhere between June 20-30) I need some good challenging 5 string songs but all I know is a bunch of Dream Theater songs so please don't reccomend DT. WHat other bands should keep me occupied. Please don't reccomend any 4 string songs. I will be writing my own lines/riffs/songs with my 5 string so please don't say comments like "I reccomend you learn some therory and appling it to your own songs and stop playing cover." or similar comments because I am learning theory and using it but I need to be occupied with covers (we all do).

sixxbassist90
05-27-2005, 11:27 PM
look up some primus
my name is mud is played on a 5 string

bottlerocket
05-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Some 311 stuff...good stuff to practice with a 5 string on are:
All Mixed Up
You Wouldn't Believe
Creatures

Just groove. :cool:

:thumb:

-Gav

Az_Holl
05-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Limp Bizkit :p

the low end theorist
05-30-2005, 04:22 PM
-find songs in drop-d and re learn them on a 5- that's what i've done with some stuff, like 'time consumer" from coheed and cambria, some primus songs, rage against the machine and incubus-go from there and good luck!

Anorak
05-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Try some mudvayne. thats more advanced than some 5 string basslines I can think of.

Aberrationbass
05-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Incubus

maynardhater
05-30-2005, 04:49 PM
look up some primus
my name is mud is played on a 5 string

wrong it's played on a 6 string, les claypool doesn't own a five string that he records or plays out with. I'm not sure if he even has one at all...

however, it can be played on a five string without any problem

as well as

shake hands with beef
bob (easily transposed)
mrs blaileen (easily transposed)
the last super power AKA rapstalian,

as for mudvayne, don't **** around with "end of all things to come" or "lost and found" there isn't really any profound bass on either of those albums that make sense learning in order to challenge yourself and grow as a bass player. When you've gotten the handle of what you want, then you can play that kind of stuff just to furhter your knowledge, but you won't really learn anything from it. Stick with L.D. 50, I learned slap bass, beginner finger tapping from L.D. 50, it also taught me three finger strumming. My favorite songs to play are

Death Blooms
Nothing to Gein
Severed
Pharmaecopia
(K)Now (F)Orever - EXTREME CHALLENGE

everything and nothing, less than zero, cradle, and prod are good too

but you better have a lot of coffee and a lot of spare time if you wanna tackle prod because that ****'ll rock you like nothin else.

p.s. why didn't you ask for talented songs when you asked for talented bass players? :confused: :confused:

edit: also, for the primus, don't trust any tab out there, they're all pretty much wrong or missing something, go out and get the "Hallucinogenetics" Dvd and see how he plays them for yourself, I'm working on tabs for a lot of those songs from watching the dvd, just so I'll have a reliable reference for when I want to see how somethings played. But it's the same deal as with prod, a lot of coffee and spare time. Probably after I defret one of my four strings.

monkeynutz
06-03-2005, 03:47 PM
stuart hamm he plays a 5 sometimes doesn't he? i may be mistaking

cliff solos for all
04-08-2006, 07:35 AM
no..

Shadius
04-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Parabola and Prison Sex by Tool should be playable without any string changes if you have your 5 string tuned to B standard.

EADG
04-08-2006, 11:28 PM
no..

Yes.

http://fios.stuarthamm.net:8080/photos/sh021.jpg

Mr. Jiggy Fly
04-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Necrophagist. There bassist is insane, and his lines are really complicated. Great workouts.

Raiven
04-09-2006, 06:55 AM
lol old fred

ebe9
04-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Not neccessarily difficult:

But I believe Dave Matthews Band's Bassist uses a 5er

Esp Griffyn
04-09-2006, 08:35 AM
stuart hamm he plays a 5 sometimes doesn't he? i may be mistaking

Yes but only with Satch, none of his solo stuf (the real hard stuff) uses a 5, though he may have used with one GHS at somepoint, but I dont think so.

Phalanx
04-09-2006, 09:08 AM
try Elastic by Meshuggah, it's not that hard but it's pretty cool to play

My name is mudd is easy

bottlerocket
04-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Holy crap this thread's old...

-Gav