PDA

View Full Version : Bad musicians in a good band

cobert
05-27-2005, 07:05 AM
/Total Ripoff

In your opinion, what is a good band with one single member that brings them down? They dont have to be TERRIBLE musicians, just a band member that doesnt seem to do anything original.

Discussinate.

Kif
05-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Blink-182: Tom Delonge

I'm not even lying, and considering they used to be my favourite band, I think that's quite a bold statement.

The point is that he doesn't bring much to the band. His riffs are very basic (Then again, so are Mark's basslines), and his singing is pretty much intolerable for me now (Unlike Mark, who can actually sing very well). Plus, I think he thinks he has the most control over the band, and that makes me feel uncomfortable.

Gnarmageddon
05-27-2005, 07:13 AM
I can't think of that many. The one that comes to mind is Shavo from SOAD. You rarely hear the bass, but I guess it probably does add to the heaviness of their songs.

Bloodlust
05-27-2005, 09:30 PM
I think that a lot of singers bring bands down. They instruments are awsome but then the vocals come in and they suck. And lets face it the vocals are the main point of a song.

cbmartinez
05-27-2005, 09:50 PM
I can't think of that many. The one that comes to mind is Shavo from SOAD. You rarely hear the bass, but I guess it probably does add to the heaviness of their songs.

Nah, Shavo has really improved. Especially on the new album.

Sausage_Wielder
05-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Adam Lazzara– Taking Back Sunday
Fred Mascherino– Taking Back Sunday
Eddie Reyes– Taking Back Sunday
Mark O’Connell– Taking Back Sunday
Matt Rubano – Taking Back Sunday

BassPlayer222
05-27-2005, 10:56 PM
chris from less then jake, bass player in the darkness, pat from weezer,and the turn table guy in incubus

kieranushurnusmcgee
05-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Well, all of The Ramones were terrible musicians.

10571z
05-28-2005, 12:54 AM
mark hoppus my fav band he is a bad bass player but makes up awsome songs

MattSharpIsCool
05-28-2005, 02:21 AM

A lot of the time, thats all the bass is for in metal, is to make it sound heavier.

If I think of someone, I'll post them up.

albert_bass
05-28-2005, 07:07 AM
A lot of the time, thats all the bass is for in metal, is to make it sound heavier.

If I think of someone, I'll post them up.

One of the reasons why I don't like metal.

vote me
05-28-2005, 07:13 AM

I'm not even lying, and considering they used to be my favourite band, I think that's quite a bold statement.

The point is that he doesn't bring much to the band. His riffs are very basic (Then again, so are Mark's basslines), and his singing is pretty much intolerable for me now (Unlike Mark, who can actually sing very well). Plus, I think he thinks he has the most control over the band, and that makes me feel uncomfortable. :rolleyes: of corse he dosent make great songs he has no talent :rolleyes:

he wrote some of the worlds best pop-punk songs
and let me see you write a riff like m+ms when your 18 years old

albert_bass
05-28-2005, 07:24 AM
^Shut up. You're not even right.

Iron_Weed
05-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Sid Vicious

Nightvision
05-28-2005, 07:28 AM
of corse he dosent make great songs he has no talent

At what friggin point did he say he had no talent?

There was no need to respond that way just because he said he didn't like Tom Delonge, so stfu and get the hell out of the thread if you're not going to be mature about this.

Untitled
05-28-2005, 07:47 AM
:rolleyes: of corse he dosent make great songs he has no talent :rolleyes:

Dont they sing the songs they right? So that would mean Mark wrote that song.

cobert
05-28-2005, 11:37 AM

Seriously man, quit bitching all over the place. All of your recent posts in here have been complaining and they all involve :rolleyes:. If you dont have anyhting to add, dont post.

Firecracker
05-28-2005, 12:08 PM
If you write good songs you are a good musician. You might be pretty average at your instrument, but if you have talent in the song writing area, you are a good musician.

lunchforthesky
05-28-2005, 12:52 PM
the singer/guitarist in Thrice. i like the band but hes a really average singer

wicked_child
05-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Sid Vicious

i was going to say that.

Rancid Dan
05-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I prefer Toms singing to Mark.

I can't really think of any.

sweetbass
05-29-2005, 12:38 AM
everyone in greenday

bad_musician
05-29-2005, 12:45 AM
everyone in greenday

You deserve to be slapped for that stament.

*bitchslap* for being an ignorant noob. :thumb:

cr1nge
05-29-2005, 01:04 AM
Tom Delonge.

albert_bass
05-29-2005, 05:05 AM
everyone in greenday

Stupidity concentred in one sentence. I like it.

Kif
05-29-2005, 05:08 AM
I hope that's a joke, he's a fantastic guitarist and he comes up with some great riffs which aren't power chords. Plus he's a better backing vocalist than John Nolan

benbenben
05-29-2005, 05:41 AM
mark hoppuss. Well he did write some of the ace guitar riffs for some of blinks songs, but as a bassist he is pretty sucky.

sweetbass
05-29-2005, 06:01 PM
i just think greenday are all bad musicians....but there songs are awsome

cobert
05-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Actually, green day arent that bad when it comes to musicianship.

lak89
05-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Fred Durst brings all of Limp Bizkit down, he's got a great band for backup but LB should seriously get a new frontman

drumer1919
05-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, all of The Ramones were terrible musicians.

Thats true. I dont know why so many people like them.

hopeulikemygenocide
05-30-2005, 03:39 PM
James Hetfield of Metallica (I know it's not pop-punk but it's all I could think of other than Tom Delonge.). I love Metallica's instrumental but then his singing just ruins it all.

Big-Bird
05-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Fat Mike from NOFX has terrible vocals

lstprphtspnk12
05-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Tsunami Bomb's Agent M. I know im gonna get insulted for saying this, I just think it is bad. It's annoying to me.

hopeulikemygenocide
05-30-2005, 04:00 PM

albert_bass
05-30-2005, 04:03 PM
No way.

Slash04
05-31-2005, 05:59 AM
Blink 182's actually not bad... They juz dun show that they can play complicated riffs cos the genre they are in dun require them to... M&m's proof that they've got some talent in them somewhere... And some of their song writing materials are not bad too... The only problem is that they dun wanna show their skills... You want bad? Listen to the ramones... Plain simple powerchords and some guy immitating Ozzy's singing... O.o Well you know wat i mean....

albert_bass
05-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Blink 182's actually not bad... They juz dun show that they can play complicated riffs cos the genre they are in dun require them to... M&m's proof that they've got some talent in them somewhere... And some of their song writing materials are not bad too... The only problem is that they dun wanna show their skills... You want bad? Listen to the ramones... Plain simple powerchords and some guy immitating Ozzy's singing... O.o Well you know wat i mean....

No, we don't but we know you've never been in school.

Fabz
05-31-2005, 01:56 PM

No :angry:

Dookiedude3005
05-31-2005, 06:34 PM
^^^^^
fat mike is not a bad vocalist, but he ain't no billie joe armstrong is all i'm saying.

And to the ignorant SOB who said green day are bad musicians should go sit on a cucumber(but then again you may like that so whatever).

Mike Dirnt is by far the most accomplished musician outta the three(listen to stuck with me solo, very good for pop punk genre).

Tré Cool is a very solid drummer and has some good drum fills in a vast majority of songs.

Billie is an average guitar player but more than makes up for it with song writing ability and vocal ability.

Sorry for getting off topic but my choice would be Mark, made a crappy sig bass and writes very boring bass lines...but is a very good vocalist and is quite funny so it all evens out I guess.

cr1nge
05-31-2005, 07:29 PM

He's not that bad but he is terrible at bass.

cbmartinez
05-31-2005, 08:05 PM
/listens to "The Idiots Are Taking Over"

Yeah dude, he does suck pretty bad.

Wow
05-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Fat Mike is an incredible pop-punk bassist. Listen to The Decline.

albert_bass
06-01-2005, 06:33 AM
He's not that bad but he is terrible at bass.

Hahahahahaha. You're deaf or something?

Rancid Dan
06-01-2005, 06:39 AM
I love Fat Mike.

I love his nasally vocals and his bass playing is great.

Fabz
06-01-2005, 10:10 AM
I love Fat Mike.

I love his nasally vocals and his bass playing is great.

Same for me :thumb:

Retarded Chipple
06-01-2005, 05:02 PM
You want bad? Listen to the ramones... Plain simple powerchords and some guy immitating Ozzy's singing... O.o Well you know wat i mean....

Plain and simple is what made the Ramones who they were...a simple, catchy, original genre defining band that probably inspired most of the bands you listen to. Afterall, when starting out, punk was based on musical imperfection. As for Joey copying Ozzy's singing, that sorta high pitched voice has been used a thousand time before and after that pre-punk/punk era. The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Clash used that same style of vocals.

Justin Sane would have to be the one who lets down a band the most. I wouldn't like Anti-Flag anyway because of their sound but his whiney squeal just makes it totally unlistenable. They should have their bassist sing more songs cos he's got a better voice. Having said that, he might struggle to play those complicated riffs and sing at the same time, I don't know.

The Mother Standard
06-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Fat Mike is an awesome bassist/vocalist, I dunno wtf u guys are saying.

For me, it'd have to be Rufio's singer, (whose name I can't remember off the top of my head). He's an awesome guitarist, but holy ****, someone get him off the mic. He sounds like he got his balls clipped off during a bicycle accident for ****'s sakes.

cobert
06-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Fat Mike is an awesome bassist/vocalist, I dunno wtf u guys are saying.

Only one person said anything bad.

cr1nge
06-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Hahahahahaha. You're deaf or something?

Are you deaf? or are you just that bad at bass that you actually think Fat Mike is good? because his stuff is so simple it's laughable.

fatpunk
06-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Graves from the Misfits
Sid Vicious

albert_bass
06-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Are you deaf? or are you just that bad at bass that you actually think Fat Mike is good? because his stuff is so simple it's laughable.

Yeah, yet he is in the top ten of best pop-punk bassists easily and has the best bass lines I've ever heard in punk along with Streetlight Manifesto - C22, Satanic Surfers, Rancid, Lagwagon, RKL and some more.

6 people already told you he's good. Will you listen to some of his good stuff before opening your useless mouth again?

RazorsInTheNight
06-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I never thought Fat Michael was the greatest bass player, not saying he isn't talentented alot of his bass lines didn't need to be complicated for the music NOFX were/are playing although some of there songs have great bass lines.

I always thought Dave Mello was an average drummer for Operation Ivy, not bad just surrounded by other musicians who were alot better.

Blink_Fan315
06-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Ok first off The guy who said Greenday are bad musicians but have awesome songs doesnt make a lick of sense really, if they were all bad, they would suck, am i not right? or do u mean it in a Blink 182 kinda way were there stuff sounds good but is just very simple (cept the drums). Greenday is very talented, though some of the guitar is rather repeative a some songs I dont really mind cuz billies vocals just fit everything perfectly. Mike kicks *** and i love most of his lines, and Tre cool (personally i think that name is dumb lol) is a respectable Drummer.

Now to the NOFX subject, i personally think mikes vocals are decent, his bass playing is pretty good but simple in many songs, but thats how some songs need to be, not always complex.

And the Blink 182 thing, i like tom and marks vocals just fine if not great, i think mark is the kinda guy that wasnt as good as mark at guitar so they were just like ya mark u can play bass instead cuz we need it, and thats y 98% of his lines are 8th notes. But you gotta admit it fits there songs just fine. Its kinda you like blink or ya dont.

For those who like Boxcar Racer i think there bassist should never get to sing in a song again, my bandmate showed me one of there songs were he sung and it wasnt even like singing, it was basically like a man with a british acent talking for the verses.

bad_musician
06-05-2005, 12:12 AM
[QUOTE=Blink_Fan315

For those who like Boxcar Racer i think there bassist should never get to sing in a song again, my bandmate showed me one of there songs were he sung and it wasnt even like singing, it was basically like a man with a british acent talking for the verses.[/QUOTE]

That was Tim Armstrong from Rancid singing that song.

holmeise
06-05-2005, 12:52 AM
i think bad musicians in good bands describes pretty much the whole pop punk genre

cr1nge
06-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Yeah, yet he is in the top ten of best pop-punk bassists easily and has the best bass lines I've ever heard in punk along with Streetlight Manifesto - C22, Satanic Surfers, Rancid, Lagwagon, RKL and some more.

6 people already told you he's good. Will you listen to some of his good stuff before opening your useless mouth again?

"Yeah, yet he is in the top ten of best pop-punk bassists easily"

Is that really saying much?

and

What if I told you I owned almost every NOFX album ever made? idiot.. :rolleyes:

HitHardDrums55
06-06-2005, 09:53 AM
simple plan maybe? they suck balls i dont think any of them are good at their instruments and their singer is a little b!tch

you know your band sucks if u ask a kid if he wants an autograph at warped tour and he tells you to suck his d!ck...no joke...

albert_bass
06-06-2005, 10:35 AM
"Yeah, yet he is in the top ten of best pop-punk bassists easily"

Is that really saying much?

and

What if I told you I owned almost every NOFX album ever made? idiot.. :rolleyes:

So Mean people suck, The Decline, The Idiotd are Taking over, Flossing A dead horse, 180 degrees, We threw gas on the fire..., Shower days, The death of john smith to name some songs are such horrible bass lines. Yeah, he has no talent at all....

Well, name 10 pop-punk bassists that play harder lines than him.

Then you only make me think I was right when I said you were deaf.

What do you need to say someone is good? Being the best ever? For god's sake he sings and plays and even that way his bass lines are great.

Ganondorf
06-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Fat Mike is by no means an amazing bass player, but he is very good in regards to the Pop-Punk genre, which dosen't really call for mind boggling techincal bass work, just solid, catchy lines with a 'bounce' to them.

albert_bass
06-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Fat Mike is by no means an amazing bass player, but he is very good in regards to the Pop-Punk genre, which dosen't really call for mind boggling techincal bass work, just solid, catchy lines with a 'bounce' to them.

Yeah, that's what I said, maybe exagerating a little bit.

He's not awesome but I can't think of many more talented pop-punk bassists.

Sep
06-06-2005, 11:39 AM
The Offspring have some really cool basslines. I'm not sure if Greg K is that talented, but he plays some cool stuff.

albert_bass
06-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Well when I said more talented, I meant more talented than Fat Mike.

Greg K isn't more talented than Fat Mike but he plays some cool stuff. Specially on their S-T. Kill the president is so cool to play.

Twat_Out_Of_Hell
06-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Fat Mike is obviosuly a good bassist. The pop-punk genre does not necesserily require amazing basslines but he's managed to fit a few in. The Decline is brilliant, and when you look at stuff like Shower Days on one of NOFX's earliest releases you realise that if he could write that at that age, he will have improved a lot over the years.

His current bass skills can be heard in songs like Idiots are Taking over on WOE. And don't forget he also writes some great guitar stuff

cr1nge
06-06-2005, 12:58 PM
So Mean people suck, The Decline, The Idiotd are Taking over, Flossing A dead horse, 180 degrees, We threw gas on the fire..., Shower days, The death of john smith to name some songs are such horrible bass lines. Yeah, he has no talent at all...

You're forgetting about Eben from Saves the day and Dan from Alkaline trio. These guys are talent in my opinion not Fat Mike.

cbmartinez
06-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Fat Mike blows Dan away.

albert_bass
06-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Fat Mike blows Dan away.

Very away...

Those were only 2 and I don't know about saves the day's bassist but Fat Mike's best lines are way better than Dan's best lines

cbmartinez
06-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Eben D'Amico is pretty incredible, I'd have to put some more thought into it before I said Fat Mike was better.

albert_bass
06-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Ok, I don't know about him. But notice I said Fat Mike was easily in the top ten of pop-punk bassists. This guy told me just one better pop-punk bassist, proving 1. He has no idea about pop-punk bassists because I can name at least 4 better bassists than Fat Mike. 2. He hasn't heard or noticed the bass lines in some NOFX songs because he would have noticed that Mike is way better than Dan Andriano. 3. He has no idea of what is a talented line because best thing I've seen in Dan Andriano is some bass chords and some little fills while Fat Mike can write bass solo's, amazing chord lines with strange chords, lines with not only root notes, 5ths and octaves, I could go on like forever...

Twat_Out_Of_Hell
06-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah Dan has some nice fills for pop-punk but that it's to be honest.

I'm not sure if this guy's been mentioned but Karl Alvarez of ALL and the Descendents is an excellent bassist

cbmartinez
06-06-2005, 02:30 PM
No, I totally agree with you. I think Fat Mike is very talented. In addition to playing some amazing lines, he sings while playing them which is very hard.

albert_bass
06-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Probably more talented or equally talented bassists I can think of (in pop-punk or similar):

Hunter (AFI)
Jesse (Lagwagon)
Matt Freeman obviously
Tomek (Satanic Surfers)
Roger (LTJ)
Chris #2 (Anti-flag)
Let's say the guy from saves the day
Alvarez from Descendents

And some of these I have to think about it to say it...

Twat_Out_Of_Hell
06-06-2005, 02:36 PM
roger is a better bassist than comes across, although LTJ do have some good lines

albert_bass
06-06-2005, 02:40 PM
roger is a better bassist than comes across, although LTJ do have some good lines

Yeah, I used to be in love with LTJ because of the bass lines...Ahhh those crazy times...

Ganondorf
06-06-2005, 02:41 PM
The bass player from The Used has some good bass lines.

vote me
06-06-2005, 02:53 PM
ya you make up somthing like "idots are taking over"
or even play it

vote me
06-06-2005, 02:58 PM
everyone in greenday
:lol: 123

cbmartinez
06-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Tre and Mike used to be quite the musicians.

cr1nge
06-06-2005, 05:35 PM
ya you make up somthing like "idots are taking over"
or even play it

I guess... I don't know what you're even talking about.

And anway, Dan Andriano used to be a great bass player. His basslines have gone downhill because he is getting older but can anyone say Goodbye Forever? because that bassline owns.

albert_bass
06-07-2005, 01:25 AM
Shut up. No one agrees with you.

We're saying he's good. But get over it, Fat Mike is better.

cr1nge
06-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Shut up. No one agrees with you.

We're saying he's good. But get over it, Fat Mike is better.

It's good to know that all of you have opinions but I think Dan is much better.

albert_bass
06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Yeah, ok but the original point of the discussion was that you said he sucked at bass. I respect your opinion about Dan being better although from an objective point of view he isn't more talented, but saying Fat Mike sucks at bass is absolutely wrong.

I just wanted you to recognize that, but seeing you won't I don't care anymore.

Tre and Mike used to be quite the musicians.

True, Mike Dirnt is talented and about Tre I don't really know about drums but I've heard he's pretty good.

HitHardDrums55
06-07-2005, 05:47 PM
tre has easy beats but hes not bad considering how green day is...

Hakkai
06-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Nah, Shavo has really improved. Especially on the new album.
thats cause daron wrote the basslines, and i think he played em on the new album too.

Hakkai
06-07-2005, 05:59 PM
You're forgetting about Eben from Saves the day and Dan from Alkaline trio. These guys are talent in my opinion not Fat Mike.
also jon from Rufio

HitHardDrums55
06-07-2005, 08:11 PM
and les claypool...bitches

not_much_good
06-10-2005, 04:03 AM
I would say that Jerry Only (Misfits) isnt much good but i dont really think its the issue. Not every bassist has to go out and chop Victor Wooten to be considered a good bassist. And since Hoppus quite often acknowleges that he needs bass lessons shows that he doesnt give a **** nearly as much as some of you guys do. But whatever.

HitHardDrums55
06-10-2005, 11:01 AM
i think only was one of the guys who wanted to keep punk rock basic though, wasnt he? i bet he could be amazing if he played another style and he tried to come up with creative stuff...

cbmartinez
06-10-2005, 01:35 PM
The bass line to "She" is awesome. Everything else does pretty much suck.

HitHardDrums55
06-10-2005, 02:20 PM
^therefore either someone else wrote She for him, or he has some talent in him

punk-guitarist
06-10-2005, 03:06 PM
tom delonge is a legend and anyone who puts him down here is an *** hole

Verikansa
06-11-2005, 12:44 AM
arent all pop-punk musicians bad??

SGlove
06-11-2005, 02:01 AM
I know this isn't pop-punk, and The Beatles are my favorite band ever, but Ringo Starr kinda.. didn't do much.
John's chord voicings were crazy.
Paul's basslines were good.
George's lead was very good.
Ringo's drumming was.. there..

The lead singer from Story of the Year.
I think that's it.

fatwreckpunk
06-11-2005, 02:11 AM
how is tom delonge a legend, he really is not that good

fatwreckpunk
06-11-2005, 02:14 AM
Probably more talented or equally talented bassists I can think of (in pop-punk or similar):

Hunter (AFI)
Jesse (Lagwagon)
Matt Freeman obviously
Tomek (Satanic Surfers)
Roger (LTJ)
Chris #2 (Anti-flag)
Alvarez from Descendents

Alvarez of descendents and all is my inspiratin to play bass, he is amazing

HitHardDrums55
06-11-2005, 08:42 AM
I know this isn't pop-punk, and The Beatles are my favorite band ever, but Ringo Starr kinda.. didn't do much.
John's chord voicings were crazy.
Paul's basslines were good.
George's lead was very good.
Ringo's drumming was.. there..

The lead singer from Story of the Year.
I think that's it.

yeah all the interesting beatles songs were played or written im not sure which one by other drummers...however all the credit was given to ringo, but yeah his own stuff was quite boring...

Twat_Out_Of_Hell
06-11-2005, 12:54 PM

tom Delonge's a sh!te musition. Guess that makes me an as's then does it?

arent all pop-punk musicians bad??

:rolleyes:

TheBassicBassist
06-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Size 14

great band, good for nothing lead singer. he ruined them. and they let him.

Fabz
06-11-2005, 07:50 PM

Then Im proud of being an ******* :smoke:

HitHardDrums55
06-11-2005, 10:24 PM
its like impossible to be optimistic in this thread...

cobert
06-12-2005, 10:09 AM
its like impossible to be optimistic in this thread...

The point is to be pessimistic.

MinorThreat
06-14-2005, 12:53 AM
Hunter burgan from AFI > all pop punk bassists

Rootsradical
06-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Wasn't the point of this thread to say what members of good bands suck at their instruments, and not to say who is good at bass? Anyways Matt Freeman blows everyone away (hopefully he makes it through the lung cancer). Fat mike is pretty good too.

frmautumTOashes
06-16-2005, 06:44 PM

No I really disagree with you there. Dustin writes some great lyrics, and he has a pretty versitile voice. It might not be too unique, but he has a lot of range. Plus, he plays some pretty tough stuff on guitar.

frmautumTOashes
06-16-2005, 06:46 PM
tre has easy beats but hes not bad considering how green day is...

On Dookie they had some pretty cool basslines, but other than that he's nothing special.

warningpunk
06-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Everyone in Nickelback is god awful. But they make me laugh, and god **** it, isnt that the point?

warningpunk
06-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Woah. Matt Freeman has lung cancer. Holy scheize, hope he recovers. Wow.

kilian
06-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Everyone in Nickelback is god awful. But they make me laugh, and god **** it, isnt that the point?
Are they awful because you don't like to listen to their kind of music?

And green day.. They are just GOOD at making music. Guess why so much people listen to their songs? They choose to play that way. I also play in my band just simple basslines because it doesn't FIT to play gigantic weird and highly technical stuff :smoke:

cobert
06-18-2005, 07:14 PM

You do recognize you called nickelback good, right?

jacksloadedgun
06-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Adam Lazzara– Taking Back Sunday
Eddie Reyes– Taking Back Sunday
Mark O’Connell– Taking Back Sunday
Matt Rubano – Taking Back Sunday

ok... how about considering they are better musicians then you will ever be. matt graduated from berklee and won a grammy with lauren hill and fred has a masters in music from temple university.

adam also plays guitar and bass, he used to play bass for taking back sunday, back when jessie lacey was in the band. eddie is a pretty good guitarist if he is hanging with fred and same with mark if he can hold fred and mark together. so i would really reconsider your choices of bad musicians there buddy.

p.s i hate the way the band now sounds, i like old taking back sunday better, but that doesn't take away the fact that the band "skillwise" is better now.

pimpy the pirate
06-20-2005, 05:52 PM
billie joes guitar playing isnt that great. and it really pisses me off that he doesnt even do the solos, they have a back up on his songs in their new album. wtf is he too busy singing in his "british accent" or can he just not play that.but neways imo after insomniac greenday has sold out and been making crapy music and been destroying the punk scene. but their old stuff kikd ***

Tjebby
06-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Making music does not have to be technical.

skaterdan07
06-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Phillip Sneed and Ryan Phillips of Story Of The Year the band is ok but i think if Phillip and Ryan had there own little band they would sound a whole lot better

skaterdan07
06-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Hold on the A.D.D just kicked in i meant that the singer and bass player in SOTY are pretty average but now adays who isnt? i think they sound leave the band or if everyone else in the band was smart they would leave

Rise Me Up
06-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Anyways Matt Freeman blows everyone away

Maybe in pop punk.

Get Fighted
11-10-2005, 04:24 AM
more people need to post in this thread

Untitled
11-10-2005, 04:56 AM
billie joes guitar playing isnt that great. and it really pisses me off that he doesnt even do the solos, they have a back up on his songs in their new album. wtf is he too busy singing in his "british accent" or can he just not play that.but neways imo after insomniac greenday has sold out and been making crapy music and been destroying the punk scene. but their old stuff kikd ***
Since when does BJA sing in a british accent? do you even know what a british accent is.

TakeWarning
11-10-2005, 06:37 AM
I'd have to go with Tim Armstrong. Not really his guitar playing, but his singing.

Agent_Orange
11-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Since when does BJA sing in a british accent? do you even know what a british accent is.

I think he sound like a brit on crack. I think all brits are on crack.........I think the worlds on crack!:amaze:

Oz Rembrandt
11-10-2005, 08:54 AM
I think all brits are on crack:

James is! :thumb:

Mikey Way - My Chemical Romance
Gerard Way - My Chemical Romance
Gareth Davies - Funeral for a Friend
Greg Kriesel - The Offspring

Greg aint too bad, but I needed the 4th person...

On Dookie they had some pretty cool basslines, but other than that he's nothing special.

Non-Dookie Basslines that are awesome:
The Judges Daughter
Green Day
Knowledge
I Wanna be Alone
Stuck With Me
Panic Song
Stuart and the Ave.
Redundant
Scattered
King for a Day
Dominated Love Slave
Castaway
2000 Light Years Away
No One Knows

Shows what you know.

chumpradio
11-10-2005, 09:45 AM
I think Adam Lazarra cannot sing, and TBS would be a lot better with a more talented singer.

That's the first one that came to mind.

Angry Balled Fists!
11-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Geez, old thread or what...

albert_bass
11-10-2005, 10:12 AM
James is! :thumb:

Mikey Way - My Chemical Romance
Gerard Way - My Chemical Romance
Gareth Davies - Funeral for a Friend
Greg Kriesel - The Offspring

Greg aint too bad, but I needed the 4th person...

Non-Dookie Basslines that are awesome:
The Judges Daughter
Green Day
Knowledge
I Wanna be Alone
Stuck With Me
Panic Song
Stuart and the Ave.
Redundant
Scattered
King for a Day
Dominated Love Slave
Castaway
2000 Light Years Away
No One Knows

Shows what you know.

Minority is awesome too. Easy but awesome.

And more than half insomniac has awesome bass lines too.

16 Nipples
11-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah Tom Delonge aint that good a guitarist, he still wrote some kick *** riffs eg Wasting Time, M+Ms, Carousel etc etc. For anyone that says he added nothing to Blink listen to Boxcar Racer, and btw it was Tim Armstrong from rancid that someboy was talking about and he was not the bass player for Boxcar. Mark is an okay Bass player, great singer, great songwriter and one funny guy. Anywayz back to the topic I'd say all The Sex Pistols wer very average.

Oz Rembrandt
11-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Minority is awesome too. Easy but awesome.

And more than half insomniac has awesome bass lines too.

Insomniac is Mike Dirnts album I think...

albert_bass
11-10-2005, 12:02 PM
And my favorite Green Day album along with Nimrod.

Get Fighted
11-11-2005, 09:31 AM

The point is that he doesn't bring much to the band. His riffs are very basic (Then again, so are Mark's basslines), and his singing is pretty much intolerable for me now (Unlike Mark, who can actually sing very well). Plus, I think he thinks he has the most control over the band, and that makes me feel uncomfortable.

toms good guitar riifs:
point of view
reebok commercial
m&ms
carousel
waggy
im sorry
going away to college
roller coaster

Get Fighted
11-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Yeah Tom Delonge aint that good a guitarist, he still wrote some kick *** riffs eg Wasting Time, M+Ms, Carousel etc etc. For anyone that says he added nothing to Blink listen to Boxcar Racer, and btw it was Tim Armstrong from rancid that someboy was talking about and he was not the bass player for Boxcar. Mark is an okay Bass player, great singer, great songwriter and one funny guy. Anywayz back to the topic I'd say all The Sex Pistols wer very average.

paul cook (drummer) kicked ***. sid and rotten however hmmmm. steve jones was average. this is my opinion on one of my favourite bands

Angry Balled Fists!
11-11-2005, 09:39 AM

toms good guitar riifs:
point of view
reebok commercial
m&ms
carousel
waggy
im sorry
going away to college
roller coaster

Stop being an ar'sehole, your not owning anyone.

Opinions are allowed, even if they are about your precious Tom Delonge.

Bad Blood
11-11-2005, 10:02 AM

toms good guitar riifs:
point of view
reebok commercial
m&ms
carousel
waggy
im sorry
going away to college
roller coaster

The only one that sticks out in that list is m&m's. The rest are just mediocre.

Angry Balled Fists!
11-11-2005, 10:05 AM
I hate the riff to M&m's, Carousel is my favourite...

Untitled
11-11-2005, 10:08 AM
The only one that sticks out in that list is m&m's. The rest are just mediocre.
Reebock Comsershall has a pretty cool solo.

anarchist/prostitute
11-11-2005, 10:09 AM

i like blink... Tom's not a good guitar player at all... he'd probably ****t his pants if you asked him to play a C major scale... but his riffs are catchy.... repetitive... but catchy. somehow in their career as a band... his playing got worse as they put more albums out :confused:

anarchist/prostitute
11-11-2005, 10:12 AM

thats what makes nofx so effing great

anarchist/prostitute
11-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Reebock Comsershall has a pretty cool solo.

Tom....... solo............... bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahah ahaha. breathe... ahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha hahahahah

Mute Print
11-11-2005, 10:15 AM
For future reference, don't triple post. Use the edit button.

I think Tom is a decent guitarist. For the music he writes, he does a great job.

Untitled
11-11-2005, 10:18 AM
For future reference, don't triple post. Use the edit button.

I think Tom is a decent guitarist. For the music he writes, he does a great job.
He's not bad, proberly better then he shows, he has been playing for 15 years or something, i wanna hear his AVA stuff, see how it sounds.

Angry Balled Fists!
11-11-2005, 10:19 AM
He plays power pop, so he isn't going to show all his skills.

Good song writer though.

Mute Print
11-11-2005, 10:21 AM
He plays power pop, so he isn't going to show all his skills.

Good song writer though.
That's basically what I meant. I've heard a lot of people say that he has a lot more talent than his music shows.

cobert
11-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Wasting time, reebok commercial, and m+m's all have some allright guitar. Still, 3 riffs doesnt make him a good guitarist.

This thread is ANCIENT.

south_guitar
11-11-2005, 08:06 PM

Hunter (AFI)
Jesse (Lagwagon)
Matt Freeman obviously
Tomek (Satanic Surfers)
Roger (LTJ)
Chris #2 (Anti-flag)
Alvarez from Descendents

Hunter is very good. Some of his work has the most interesting basslines that I've ever heard from a band of their style.

...and this thread is really old. I missed that.

Ross
11-12-2005, 08:33 AM
A page of replies in the past few days... The thread is reborn.

Ish. Or not.

Ok so it is old.

And who says only decent musicians to write good songs anyway?!

Ok I'm gonna stop there. I might say something relevant soon.

FauxApathy
11-12-2005, 11:22 AM

I agree 100%

Get Fighted
11-13-2005, 07:49 AM
mark hoppus

hey, you're not cory!
11-13-2005, 01:34 PM
and the turn table guy in incubus
Listen to S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and say that again. He rips that album up!

fenderstratboy2
11-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Story of the Year can definetly use a new singer. they may not be great, but i like them, just the singing doesnt appeal to me

cobert
11-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Listen to S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and say that again. He rips that album up!

Thats their best album. Other than on there, that guy didnt do much. And they replaced him anyways.

redrumsixsix6
11-13-2005, 04:26 PM

holy **** i must disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i think dustin is one of the best vocalists out there

BridgeToSolace
11-13-2005, 05:41 PM
holy **** i must disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i think dustin is one of the best vocalists out there

He's good at showing emotion and power in his vocals.

His range is really nothing special, though, and his scream is completely average.

redrumsixsix6
11-13-2005, 07:29 PM
He's good at showing emotion and power in his vocals.

His range is really nothing special, though, and his scream is completely average.

fair enough.......on the new album his range is even bigger. Him a Teppi are really good together tho cause teppi has such a more high or trebly voice. perfect for backup vox. But i guess alown he is average

CommieCanada
11-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Geoff Rickly is a crap singer, but he's such a good vocalist that it doesn't much matter.

i couldn't think of anyone else

AlkoholikMouse
11-17-2005, 02:45 AM
Sid Vicious was a terrible bass player.

Fat Mike makes NOFX what they are. He is fantastic.

Billie Joe Armstrong is a poor guitarist. He's a good entertainer, and a good singer, but he's not hat good at playing guitar.

Drop The Baby
11-17-2005, 03:29 AM
No one is the Sex Pistols really knew how to play their instruments properly.

The drummer from OP Ivy was also very poor, although he only played son they could actually have a band.

Tjebby
11-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Hunter is very good. Some of his work has the most interesting basslines that I've ever heard from a band of their style.
Yeah, my favorite would most likely be Days Of The Phoenix. I don't know why, I just am in love with the bassline in it.

Sausage_Wielder
11-19-2005, 09:21 PM
ok... how about considering they are better musicians then you will ever be. matt graduated from berklee and won a grammy with lauren hill and fred has a masters in music from temple university.

adam also plays guitar and bass, he used to play bass for taking back sunday, back when jessie lacey was in the band. eddie is a pretty good guitarist if he is hanging with fred and same with mark if he can hold fred and mark together. so i would really reconsider your choices of bad musicians there buddy.

p.s i hate the way the band now sounds, i like old taking back sunday better, but that doesn't take away the fact that the band "skillwise" is better now.

Intro (Guitar 1):

[--------------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0-----------------]
[--------------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0-----------------]
[--------------6---------6---------6---------6---------6---------6---------6---------6-----------------]
[--------------7---------7---------7---------7---------7---------7---------7---------7-----------------]
[------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[-----------77--------77--------77-------77-------77-------77--------77--------77----------------------]

[-------------000--------------------000---------------------000----------------------000--------------]
[-------------000--------------------000---------------------000----------------------000--------------]
[-------777---666-------------777----666--------------777----666---------------777----666--------------]
[-------777---777-------------777----777--------------777----777---------------777----777--------------]
[-------555-------------------555---------------------555----------------------555---------------------]
[------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

Yes. Very "skillful" playing.

CommieCanada
11-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Intro (Guitar 1):

[--------------6---------6---------6---------6---------6---------6---------6---------6-----------------]
[--------------7---------7---------7---------7---------7---------7---------7---------7-----------------]
[-----------77--------77--------77-------77-------77-------77--------77--------77----------------------]

[-------777---666-------------777----666--------------777----666---------------777----666--------------]
[-------777---777-------------777----777--------------777----777---------------777----777--------------]
[-------555-------------------555---------------------555----------------------555---------------------]

Yes. Very "skillful" playing.

is there a rule that says music has to be difficult to play to be good?

BridgeToSolace
11-19-2005, 11:59 PM
is there a rule that says music has to be difficult to play to be good?

He said "Very skillful", not "Very ****ty".

CommieCanada
11-20-2005, 12:49 AM
He said "Very skillful", not "Very ****ty".
no, he said Very "skillful", in a sarcastic jest

BridgeToSolace
11-20-2005, 10:52 AM

Which is different from saying "This music is bad, because it is not played well". (not sarcasticaly)

Unless you were making some comment that had little to do with what he said.

_JR
11-20-2005, 01:30 PM
chris from less then jake, bass player in the darkness, pat from weezer,and the turn table guy in incubus

i must disagree with one of them. i think pat is an above average drummer, but rivers focuses the songs a lot on the vocals. when pat has a fill however, you can glimpse some talent. also if you see them live, he fills more often and they are entertaining to say the least.

cobert
11-20-2005, 01:34 PM

He never said the music was bad, he was just saying theyre not 'skillful', like the perosn he quoted said they were.

TBS owns, anyways.

thursdaythrice
11-20-2005, 08:19 PM
I think Adam Lazarra cannot sing, and TBS would be a lot better with a more talented singer.

That's the first one that came to mind.

Taking back sunday isnt taking back sunday without adam lazarra

hey, you're not cory!
11-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Taking back sunday isnt taking back sunday without adam lazarra
Bah, John Nolan was the best thing that will ever happen to that band.

Adam is the **** though, don't get me wrong.